MORVAH, a parish, in the union of Penzance, W.
division of the hundred of Penwith and of the county
of Cornwall, 6 miles (N. W.) from Penzance; containing 407 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the
north by the Bristol Channel, and comprises 1120
acres, of which 738 are common or waste land: the
cliffs on this part of the coast are extremely fine.
The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Madron.
The church was rebuilt in 1828. There are places of
worship for Bryanites and Wesleyans; and a boys'
school, chiefly supported by subscription. At Tregominion are the remains of an ancient chapel. Castle
Chun, in the neighbourhood, is the most regular Danish
fortification in the county; near it is a cromlech.
Morval (St. Wenn)
MORVAL (St. Wenn), a parish, in the union of
Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall,
2¾ miles (N.) from East Looe; containing 733 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 3000 acres.
The substratum abounds with limestone, of which great
quantities are raised for the supply of the neighbouring
district, and sent to Liskeard by a canal which joins
the Looe river near its termination at this place. The
scenery is strikingly romantic; and the higher grounds,
especially Tregarlin Torr, command a fine view of the
winding vale of Morval, terminated in the distance by
Bindown, the loftiest point of land in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £6. 14. 9½., and in the patronage of the
Crown; impropriator, J. Buller, Esq. The vicarial
tithes have been commuted for £214, and the glebe
comprises 121 acres; the great tithes have been commuted for £260. A free school is endowed with £20
per annum. The late Sir Francis Buller, eminent for
his ability as a judge, was a native of the place.
Morvill (St. George)
MORVILL (St. George), a parish, in the union of
Bridgnorth, hundred of Stottesden, S. division of
Salop, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Bridgnorth; containing,
with the chapelry of Aston-Eyre, 542 inhabitants. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £204; patron
and impropriator, Lord Sudeley. The tithes of Morvill
were commuted for land in 1773. The church is chiefly
a Norman structure of the 12th century; it consists of a
nave and north and south aisles of that period, and a
chancel of the 17th century. The arch dividing the
chancel from the nave has an elaborately carved moulding; and the capitals of the shafts supporting the arches
that divide the nave from the aisles, are enriched with
foliage of fine workmanship: the original font, which is
bell-shaped, still remains. At Aston-Eyre is a chapel
of ease. A benefaction of £20 per annum, arising from
property bequeathed by Thomas Burte, in 1631, is regularly distributed, one moiety to the minister for preaching twelve sermons, and the other moiety to the poor.
In the church was originally a society of Secular canons,
and subsequently one of Benedictine monks.
Morwick, Northumberland.—See Morrick.
MORWICK, Northumberland.—See Morrick.
MOSBOROUGH, a township, in the parish of Eckington, union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the county of Derby, 6 miles (S.
E. by E.) from Sheffield; containing 1044 inhabitants.
This place stands on an elevated site, on the road from
Sheffield to Worksop, by Barlborough, and commands
very extensive views. Good building-stone is quarried:
the inhabitants are partly employed in collieries; and
sickles are made here. The Midland railway has a station at Mosborough. There are places of worship for
Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
MOSEDALE, a township, in the parish of Caldbeck, union of Wigton, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of the county of Cumberland; containing 58 inhabitants.
MOSELEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Bushbury,
union of Penkridge, N. division of the hundred of
Seisdon, S. division of the county of Stafford, 4 miles
(N. by E.) from Wolverhampton; containing 53 inhabitants. It forms a separate manor of about 500 acres.
Moseley Hall, then the residence of Thomas Whitgreave,
to whose memory there is a marble tablet in the parish
church, was the place of temporary concealment for
Charles II. on his way to Bentley. Here is a Roman
MOSELEY, a chapelry, in the parish and union of
King's-Norton, Upper division of the hundred of
Halfshire, E. division of the county of Worcester,
2 miles (S.) from Birmingham; containing 238 inhabitants. The Birmingham and Gloucester railway passes
on the east. Moseley Park is the seat of James Taylor,
Esq., D.L.: the mansion is surrounded by a fine demesne. The village, which is of respectable appearance,
is in the northern part of the chapelry, close to the railway. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£94; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Westminster.
The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was enlarged in
1822: at the west end is a tower with three bells.
There are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans;
and a national school.
MOSS, a township, in the parish of Campsall,
union of Doncaster, Upper division of the wapentake
of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 6¾ miles (W. by
N.) from Thorne; containing 301 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 2283 acres: the village, which is
straggling, is about two miles east of Askerne.
MOSSER, a chapelry, in the parish of Brigham,
union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 4½ miles (S.) from
Cockermouth; containing 107 inhabitants. The living
is a perpetual curacy; income, £44; patron, the Earl of
Lonsdale. The chapel is dedicated to St. Philip.
MOSSLEY, a chapelry, in the division of Hartshead, parish and union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 3 miles
(N. E.) from Ashton-under-Lyne, and 9½ (E.) from Manchester; containing, in 1841, 1081 inhabitants. This is
a large village, prettily situated in a valley surrounded by
the Saddleworth and Cheshire hills. About the year
1773 it was a small place; in 1794 it had increased to
100 houses; and in 1841 the number was 500, including
the portion called Brook-Bottom. Formerly, the staple
trade consisted of coarse woollens; cotton has been
latterly introduced, and the inhabitants are now employed in both manufactures. Mr. James Buckley's
cotton-mill, built in 1817, employs 250 hands; his residence at Quick-Edge, on the side of a hill, commands
beautiful and extensive views. The mills of Mr. G. Mayall and Mr. J. Mayall are also in this vicinity. Several
stone-quarries and collieries are in operation in the
chapelry. The Huddersfield canal passes through it;
and here is a station on the Manchester and Huddersfield railway: the river Tame separates Cheshire and
Lancashire at Mossley. Fairs for cattle are held on
June 21st and the last Monday in October. The living
is a perpetual curacy; net income, £150, with a house;
patron, the Rector of Ashton. The chapel, dedicated to
St. George, was built in 1755, on land given by Sir
Joseph Pickford, and was enlarged in 1789. The Methodists of the New Connexion have a place of worship.
Excellent national schools were erected in 1843, and
there are schools in the neighbourhood built in the
MOSS-SIDE, a township, in the parish of Manchester, union of Chorlton, hundred of Salford,
S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (S.)
from Manchester; containing 436 inhabitants. Victoria
Park, of which part is in this township, and other portions in the townships of Rushulme and Chorlton, is
likely to become at no distant time one of the most interesting places in the vicinity of Manchester. It is
comprised in a ring fence, extending from the London
road, on the north, to the Oxford or Rushulme road, on
the south, and contains 140 acres of land. Several villas
have been erected in its neighbourhood.
MOSTERTON, a parish, in the union of Beaminster, hundred of Beaminster-Forum and Redhone,
Bridport division of the county of Dorset, 4 miles (N.
N. W.) from Beaminster; containing 391 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the road from Bridport to
Taunton, and comprises 958a. 31p.: the river Axe passes
near. The living is annexed to the rectory of South
Perrot: the tithes have been commuted for £169, and
the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church was rebuilt,
on a different site, in 1833.
MOSTON, a township, in the parish of St. Mary,
Chester, union of Great Boughton, Lower division
of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county
of Chester, 3 miles (N. by W.) from Chester; containing 11 inhabitants. The manor, in old records "Moreston," was given about 1125 to the convent of St. Werburgh, under which an estate was held here by a family
who took their name from the township. After the
Reformation it was granted by Queen Elizabeth to the
Rogersons and Astons, of whom both moieties were
purchased by John Morgell, in whose family the property continued until 1718, when the heiress of William
Morgell sold it to Methusalem Jones. It afterwards
passed by sale to Henry Bennet, Esq., whose representatives sold it in 1790 to William Massey, Esq. The
township comprises 272 acres, the soil of which is clay.
The road from Chester to Birkenhead passes through it.
The Chester and Birkenhead railway, also, is here
carried over the Ellesmere canal by a viaduct of 11
arches, and is continued by an embankment containing
365,000 cubic yards of clay and sand; the central arch
of the viaduct has 50 feet span, and the others a span of
20 feet each.
MOSTON, a township, in the parish of Warmingham, union of Congleton, hundred of Northwich, S.
division of the county of Chester, 2¼ miles (W. by N.)
from Sandbach; containing 224 inhabitants. It comprises 663 acres, partly of a clayey and partly a sandy
soil. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the township.
MOSTON, a township, in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of
Lancaster, 4 miles (N. E.) from Manchester; containing 671 inhabitants, being an increase of only 53 persons in 40 years, although surrounded by populous
manufacturing districts. The township is situated west
of the road from Manchester to Leeds, and the Manchester and Leeds railway passes in the vicinity. A colliery is in operation. The ecclesiastical district of Harpurhey includes the township. William Langley, in
1821, bequeathed £100, the interest to be distributed to
the poor in bread.
MOSTON, a township, in the parish of Stantonupon-Hine-Heath, union of Wem, Whitchurch division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division
of Salop; containing 61 inhabitants. The vicarial
tithes of this township and that of Stanton have been
commuted for £89, and the impropriate for £27. 15.
MOTCOMB, a parish, in the union of Shaftesbury, liberty of Gillingham, Shaston division of Dorset, 1½ mile (N. N. W.) from Shaftesbury; containing
1538 inhabitants. The living is annexed, with the
livings of East and West Stower, to the vicarage of
Gillingham: the rectorial tithes have been commuted
for £350, and the vicarial for £700; the glebe contains
2½ acres. The present parish church is in the later
English style, and contains 460 sittings: the first stone
was laid by Lord Robert Grosvenor in August, 1846.
At Enmore Green is a church consecrated in August,
1843; it is a Norman cruciform structure, with a tower
at the intersection of the nave and transepts. There is
a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Motherby, with Gill
MOTHERBY, with Gill, a township, in the parish
of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 6½ miles (W. by S.) from the
town of Penrith; containing 85 inhabitants.
MOTTINGHAM, a hamlet, in the poor-law union of
Lewisham, partly in the parish of Chiselhurst, hundred of Ruxley, but chiefly in the parish of Eltham,
hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone,
W. division of Kent, 8 miles (S. E.) from London; containing 124 inhabitants. It comprises 637 acres, of which
70 are laid out in wood.
Mottisfont (St. Andrew)
MOTTISFONT (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Romsey, hundred of Thorngate, Romsey and
S. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4¾ miles
(N. N. W.) from Romsey; containing 578 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, with the livings of Lockerley and
East Dean annexed, valued in the king's books at
£14. 18. 11½.; net income, £900; patron and incumbent, the Rev. O. D. St. John. The tithes of Mottisfont
have been commuted for £500, and the glebe comprises
28½ acres. Mottisfont House, a spacious and venerable
edifice, occupies a portion of the site of a priory of
Canons regular of the order of St. Augustine, founded in
the beginning of the reign of King John, by William
Briwere, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity. In 1494,
the establishment being reduced from eleven, its original
number of religious, to three, Henry VII. procured a bull
from Pope Alexander for its suppression; but it nevertheless continued till the Dissolution, at which period
its revenue was valued at £167. 15. 8.
Mottiston (St. Peter and St. Paul)
MOTTISTON (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish,
in the liberty of West Medina, Isle of Wight division
of the county of Southampton, 9 miles (W. S. W.) from
Newport; containing 176 inhabitants. It comprises
1140 acres, of which 52 are common or waste. The
village is beautifully situated in the south-western part
of the island, on the road which runs along the coast;
and commands extensive views of the adjacent country,
and the English Channel. The living is a rectory, with
the vicarage of Shorwell united, valued in the king's
books at £11. 16. 3.; patron, the Rev. Ebenezer Robertson. The tithes of Mottiston have been commuted
for £200, and the glebe comprises 42 acres. The church
is principally in the later English style.
Mottram St. Andrew
MOTTRAM ST. ANDREW, a township, in the
parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of Chester, 4¾ miles
(N. N. W.) from Macclesfield; containing 380 inhabitants. It comprises 1521 acres, partly of a clayey, and
partly of a sandy, soil. Here is a national school.
Mottram-in-Longdendale (St. Michael)
MOTTRAM-IN-LONGDENDALE (St. Michael),
a parish, in the union of Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the county of
Chester; comprising the townships of Godley, Hattersley, Hollingworth, Matley, Mottram, Newton, Stayley, and Tintwistle; and containing 21,215 inhabitants,
of whom 3247 are in Mottram township, 10 miles (E.
by S.) from Manchester. This place, which was anciently called the lordship of Tintwistle, was in the reign
of Edward II. granted by Thomas de Burgh to Thomas,
Earl of Lancaster, on whose attainder for high treason,
in the 15th of that reign, it became forfeited to the
crown. The parish comprises 32,000 acres, of which
970 are in the township of Mottram; the soil in the
higher parts is rocky, and in the lower a rich loam
alternated with clay and gravel. It is separated from
the county of Derby, on the south, by the river Etherow,
or Mersey, which has its source near the north-eastern
extremity of the parish; and from Lancashire on the
north by the river Tame. The township is situated on
a steep hill at the western extremity of Longdendale;
the surrounding scenery is diversified, combining features
of picturesque beauty with objects of romantic grandeur.
Among the hills in the township is Cat Tor, a precipitous
elevation, more than 100 feet in perpendicular height;
the sides and summit are planted with trees, and the
faces of the precipices exhibit various strata of rock, coal,
slate, and freestone, disposed with great regularity.
Above this is Mottram Hill, commanding a delightful
and extensive prospect up Longdendale, including the
beautiful windings of the Mersey, the banks of which
are embellished with trees of stately growth.
Till the commencement of the present century, the
parish was wholly agricultural, but since that period it
has become one of the most flourishing manufacturing
districts in this part of the kingdom. About a mile
and a half from the village or town, which consists of
one broad and well-paved street, the Mersey expands
into a broad stream, on which are extensive cotton-mills,
built in the excavation of a rock protruding into the
river, over which, at a small distance below, is a stone
bridge of one arch. There are several large manufactories of cotton and woollen goods, paper, and machinery;
also works for the spinning of cotton and the printing
of calico, and a foundry for smelting iron. Collieries
are worked in the immediate neighbourhood; and stone
abounds in various parts, which is soft in the quarry
and very easily cut, but, upon exposure to the air,
becomes as hard as flint. Within the parish are three
stations on the Manchester and Sheffield railway, viz.:
one distant about a mile from Mottram, one at Newton,
and the third at Woodhead, where a tunnel commences,
which is upwards of three miles long. Over the Etherow is a splendid viaduct on the line, having three
arches, the centre of which is of 150 feet span; the first
stone was laid by John Chapman, Esq., deputy-chairman
of the company: the cost was £25,000. Fairs for
cattle take place on the 27th of April and the 31st of
October. A court leet is held on Michaelmas-day, at
which a constable is appointed for each of the townships
in the parish; and a court baron is held under J. Tollemache, Esq., as lord of the manor.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books,
as a rectory and vicarage, at £32. 3. 9.; net income,
£219; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Chester.
The church is in the later English style, with a lofty
embattled tower; it contains some ancient and interesting monuments, and sepulchral chapels belonging respectively to the manors of Hollingworth and Stayley.
In the churchyard is the tomb of Lawrence Earnshaw,
distinguished by his mechanical genius, and as the inventor of some of the earliest machinery introduced into
the cotton factories; he was born at this place, and was
buried here in 1767. The vicarage-house, near the
church, is surrounded with intrenchments resembling
those of a Roman station. At Godley, Newton, Stayley,
Tintwistle, and Woodhead are separate incumbencies.
There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. The free grammar school, founded in 1612 by
Robert Garsett and Sir Richard Wilbraham, is endowed
with land, the proceeds of which, with other benefactions,
amount to £65 per annum. John Chapman, Esq., in
1845, gave a library of 400 volumes for the use of the
town. Here are some remains of Bucton Castle, supposed to be of British origin.