Netheravon (All Saints)
NETHERAVON (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Pewsey, hundred of Elstub and Everley, Everley
and Pewsey, and S. divisions of Wilts, 5¼ miles (N. by
W.) from Amesbury; containing, with the tything of
Chisenbury-de-la-Folly, 505 inhabitants. The parish
comprises some fertile tracts, and the scenery is of
pleasing character. Netheravon Park, formerly the
property of the Duke of Beaufort, and now the seat of
Sir M. Hicks Beach, Bart., is a handsome mansion of
brick, situated in a well-wooded demesne. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£13. 6. 8.; net income, £119; patron, the Bishop of
Salisbury. The church, an ancient structure with some
fine Norman details, has been restored.
Netherbury (St. Mary)
NETHERBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Beaminster, Bridport division of Dorset, 2 miles (S. S. W.) from Beaminster; containing
2162 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated near
the coast, comprises by admeasurement 6000 acres, and
is intersected by some small streams flowing through
woody ravines towards Bridport harbour; the surface
is varied, and the soil generally fertile. Great quantities
of cider are made. Here are several quarries of limestone, in which, among various organic remains, are
found belemnites, ammonites, large concave and convex
shells, with univalves, bivalves, and screw shells. The
living is a vicarage, with that of Beaminster annexed,
valued in the king's books at £41. 15.; net income,
£524; patron, the Prebendary of Netherbury in the
Cathedral of Salisbury. The great tithes have been
commuted for £750, and the vicarial for £400. The
church is in the later English style, and contains a
curiously-carved pulpit, and monuments to Sir John
Moore, Dr. Gollop, and Dr. Baddinall. A chapel of ease
has been opened at Bowood, and at Melplaish is a separate incumbency. A free grammar school is endowed
with £138 per annum. There was formerly a religious
society in the parish, called the fraternity of St. Francis
and St. Christopher.
NETHERBY, a township, in the parish of Arthuret, union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division
of Cumberland, 2½ miles (N. N. E.) from Longtown;
containing 368 inhabitants. Here was a Roman station
of considerable importance, connected with the Picts'
wall by a direct road, but its name has not been clearly
ascertained. Foundations of streets extending to the
river Esk, denote its site; and a large collection of Roman coins, altars, fragments of domestic utensils, &c.,
discovered here, is deposited in Netherby Hall, the seat
of the Rt. Hon. Sir James R. G. Graham, Bart.
Netherby, with Kearby.—See Kearby.
NETHERBY, with Kearby.—See Kearby.
Nether Cerne.—See Cerne, Nether.
NETHER CERNE.—See Cerne, Nether.—And
other places having a similar distinguishing prefix will be
found under the proper name.
NETHERCOT, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Banbury, hundred of King's Sutton, S. division of the
county of Northampton, 1 mile (E.) from Banbury;
containing 139 inhabitants.
NETHER-EXE, a parish, in the union of St. Thomas,
hundred of Hayridge, Wonford and N. divisions of
Devon, 5 miles (N. by E.) from Exeter; containing 97
inhabitants. It is bounded on the west by the river
Exe, and comprises 602 acres. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £68; patrons, certain Feoffees
called the "Eight Men of Broad Clist;" impropriator,
T. Gould, Esq. There is half an acre of glebe. The
church is a very ancient structure.
NETHERMORE, a tything, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Chippenham, Chippenham and Calne, and
N. divisions of Wilts, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Chippenham; containing 59 inhabitants.
NETHERTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Fyfield,
poor-law union of Abingdon, hundred of Ock, county
of Berks; containing 115 inhabitants.
NETHERTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Frodsham,
poor-law union of Runcorn, Second division of the
hundred of Eddisbury, S. division of the county of
Chester; containing 256 inhabitants.
NETHERTON, a township, in the parish of Sefton,
union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of the
county of Lancaster, 6½ miles (N. by E.) from Liverpool; containing 176 inhabitants. Sir William Molyneux, who received the honour of knighthood in the 46th
of Henry III., gave by a deed without date, to William,
son of his brother Roger, certain lands in Netherton, to
hold by knight's service and the yearly rent of one halfpenny; and Sir William, a member of the same family,
gave lands in Netherton to his son, John, about the
reign of Richard II. The township is still the property
of the family of Molyneux. It lies a little to the west of
the Liverpool and Ormskirk road, close to the Leeds
and Liverpool canal, and is separated from Maghull by
the river Alt. The area is 1100 acres, and the land is
in equal portions of arable and pasture, and of various,
but good, soil; the surface is elevated and level, and the
views include the hills round Ormskirk and Billinge:
the air, impregnated with sea breezes, is salubrious.
Moorbridge House is the picturesque residence of William Wilding, Esq. Stand Park, now converted into
farms, was stocked with deer when the Molyneuxs resided at Sefton. The Roman Catholic chapel here, was
built in 1790, and is a neat structure, dedicated to St.
Bennet: the Rev. Abraham Abram, who was appointed
in 1830, is still the priest, and has a good house.
NETHERTON, a township, in the parish and division of Bedlington, union of Morpeth, county of
Northumberland 4 miles (S. E.) from Morpeth; containing 436 inhabitants. This place was the residence,
at an early period, of a family of the same name; and
among the most considerable families that have subsequently owned it, have been those of Swinburne, Ogle,
and Heron. Hugo de Hexham held three messuages,
120 acres of land, and four meadows, here; and other
lands were held by Hugh Walton, by fealty, and rendering a rose yearly, if required. In the 16th century, it
was possessed by the barons of Morpeth, with whom it
remained for a considerable period, and from whom it
has descended to the earls of Carlisle. Coal is obtained
in the township. The village is situated on a fine eminence, upon the road between Morpeth and North
Shields. The tithes have been commuted for £13. 6.
payable to the vicar, and £229. 17. to the Ecclesiastical
NETHERTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Cropthorn, union of Pershore, Middle division of the
hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of
the county of Worcester, 4 miles (W. S. W.) from
Evesham; containing 104 inhabitants. It is bounded
on the south-east by a portion of Gloucestershire, and
consists of 726a. 16p., in about equal portions of arable
and pasture. Here was formerly a chapel, now in ruins,
and used as a farm building. The Baptists have a place
NETHERTON, a district chapelry, in the united
parishes of St. Thomas and St. Edmund, Dudley,
union of Dudley, Lower division of the hundred of
Halfshire, Dudley and E. divisions of the county of
Worcester; containing 129 persons. This place is
situated in an extensive mining and manufacturing district, and the inhabitants are mostly employed in furnaces for smelting iron-ore, and in the making of nails,
which is carried on to a great extent. There are large
collieries in the immediate neighbourhood, in full operation, and several mines of ironstone. A neat chapel,
dedicated to St. Andrew, was erected in 1831, by grant
of the Parliamentary Commissioners, on ground given
by the late Earl of Dudley: the living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £220; patron, the Vicar of Dudley.
Here are places of worship for Wesleyans, Baptists,
Methodists of the New Connexion, and Primitive Methodists.
NETHERTON-NORTH-SIDE, a township, in the
parish of Allenton, union of Rothbury, W. division
of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland,
6¼ miles (N. W.) from Rothbury; containing 54 inhabitants. It is situated near the Wreigh burn, a tributary of the river Coquet, and on the road which leads
from the highlands to the towns of Alnwick and Morpeth. The village of Allenton is distant about three
miles and a half.
NETHERTON-SOUTH-SIDE, a township, in the
parish of Allenton, union of Rothbury, W. division
of Coquetdale ward, N. division of the county of
Northumberland; containing 74 inhabitants. This
township adjoins the preceding; and the village belonging to both is on the Wreigh stream.
NETHERWOOD, a hamlet, in the parish of Thornbury, union of Bromyard, hundred of Broxash,
county of Hereford; containing 37 inhabitants.
Netley, county of Southampton.—See Hound.
NETLEY, county of Southampton.—See Hound.
Netswell, or Netteswell
NETSWELL, or Netteswell, a parish, in the union
of Epping, hundred of Harlow, S. division of Essex,
2¼ miles (S. W.) from Harlow; containing 336 inhabitants. It comprises 1521 acres, of which 850 are arable,
450 pasture, 173 common or waste, and the remainder
woodland; the surface is undulated, and the scenery
pleasingly diversified. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £13. 6. 8., and in the gift of C. Phelips, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £230,
and the glebe comprises 5 acres. The church is a small
edifice, with a tower of wood surmounted by a shingled
spire. A school is endowed with £40 per annum.
Nettlebed (St. Bartholomew)
NETTLEBED (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the
union of Henley, hundred of Ewelme, county of Oxford, 4¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Henley; containing
690 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1164 acres, of
which 100 are common or waste; it is situated on the
road from London to Oxford, 830 feet above the level
of the sea, and the air is peculiarly salubrious. The
living is a donative, with the perpetual curacy of Pishill
united; net income, £101; patron, the Rev. T. L.
Bennett; impropriator, Lord Camoys, whose tithes have
been commuted for £280. The church, restored and
enlarged by subscription, was re-consecrated in December 1846.
Nettlecombe, with Mappercombe, in the county of Dorset.—See Mappercombe.
NETTLECOMBE, with Mappercombe, in the
county of Dorset.—See Mappercombe.
Nettlecombe (St. Mary)
NETTLECOMBE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Williton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W. division of Somerset, 7 miles (N. by W.)
from Wiveliscombe; containing 338 inhabitants. It
comprises by measurement 2816 acres, of which 1460
are arable, 350 meadow and pasture, 100 woodland,
and the remainder uninclosed; the surface is finely
undulated, and embellished with stately oak, elm, and
Spanish chesnut of luxuriant growth. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 6. 3., and
in the gift of Sir W. Trevelyan, Bart.: the tithes have
been commuted for £468, and the glebe comprises 60
acres. The church is a small handsome edifice, in the
later English style. A school is supported.
NETTLEDEN, a chapelry, partly in the parish of
Ivinghoe, and partly in that of Piglesthorne, union
of Berkhampstead, hundred of Cottesloe, county of
Buckingham, 3 miles (N. N. E.) from Berkhampstead;
containing 108 inhabitants. It comprises 783a. 3r., of
which 120 acres are arable, 179 meadow and pasture,
and 410 the demesne of Ashridge Park. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Trustees of the
Earl of Bridgewater, with a net income of £58. The
chapel, dedicated to St. Lawrence, was consecrated in
Nettleham (All Saints)
NETTLEHAM (All Saints), a parish, in the
wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union and
county of Lincoln, 3 miles (N. E. by N.) from Lincoln;
containing 841 inhabitants. It comprises 3284a. 2r.
7p.; the surface is hilly, and the lower grounds are
watered by a small rivulet. The living is a perpetual
curacy, annexed to the Chancellorship of the Cathedral
of Lincoln: the tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1776. There is a place of worship
for Wesleyans. The bishops of Lincoln had a palace
here, the foundations of which are still discernible.
Nettlestead (St. Mary)
NETTLESTEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Maidstone, hundred of Twyford, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from
Maidstone; containing 326 inhabitants. It comprises
1200 acres, of which 240 are in wood; and is bounded
on the east by the navigable river Medway, which is
crossed by a wooden bridge. The living is a rectory,
with that of West Barming annexed, valued in the king's
books at £12. 10. 10.; net income, £442; patron, the
Earl of Gainsborough. The church is in the later English style, and the windows exhibit some fine specimens
of stained glass; it has lately been repaired and embellished, and a vestry and organ-gallery have been
added. In the church are two monuments to the family
of Scott, of whose mansion, in which Queen Elizabeth
is said to have been entertained, there are considerable
Nettlestead (St. Mary)
NETTLESTEAD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Bosmere and Claydon, E. division of
Suffolk, 6 miles (N. W. by W.) from Ipswich; containing 98 inhabitants, and comprising 1015a. 31p.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £8. 11. 10½., and in the gift of the family of
Jackson: the tithes have been commuted for £193. 10.,
and the glebe comprises 2 acres. The Hall, formerly in
the possession of the Wentworths, and before them of
the Tiptofts and Despensers, is situated near the church:
the gateway is still in good preservation, and on the
spandrils of the arch are two shields sculptured with the
Wentworth arms and numerous other quarterings; the
mansion itself, however, has been modernised.
Nettleton (St. John the Baptist)
NETTLETON (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of
Yarborough, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
1 mile (S. by W.) from Caistor; containing 457 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books
at £19. 10. 10.; net income, £375; patron and incumbent, the Rev. S. Turner. The tithes were commuted
for land and money payments in 1791. There is a place
of worship for Wesleyans.
Nettleton (St. Mary)
NETTLETON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Chippenham, N. division of the hundred of Damerham, Chippenham and Calne, and N. divisions of Wilts,
8½ miles (N. W. by W.) from Chippenham; containing
536 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1940
acres, of which 1200 are arable, 600 pasture and meadow,
and 40 in woods and plantations. There are some quarries of stone for repairing roads. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £18. 12. 1., and in the gift
of Joseph Neeld, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted
for £440, and the glebe comprises 13 acres. Here are
places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans. The old
Roman Fosse-road passes through the parish; on it is a
barrow, upon which are three stones of a cromlech.
NETTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Durnford,
union and hundred of Amesbury, S. division of the
county of Wilts; containing 107 inhabitants.