Newton (St. Margaret)
NEWTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union
of Chesterton, hundred of Thriplow, county of Cambridge, 6¾ miles (S.) from Cambridge; containing 183
inhabitants. The parish comprises 984 acres, of which
70 are common or waste. The living is a discharged
vicarage, united to that of Hauxton. Some tithes were
commuted for land and a money payment in 1798; a
tithe rent-charge of £288 is paid to the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and one of £50 to the vicar of Thriplow, who
also has a glebe here of 18 acres.
Newton (St. James)
NEWTON (St. James), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Wisbech, Isle of Ely, county of Cambridge, 3¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Wisbech; containing
400 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely, valued in the king's books at
£18. 14. 9.: the tithes have been commuted for £667;
there is a glebe-house, and the glebe contains 176¼
acres. A college, in honour of St. Mary, was founded
here in the reign of Henry IV., by Sir John Colville,
Knt.; it consisted of a warden, four chaplains, four
clerks, and ten poor brethren, whose lands at the suppression were annexed to the rectory of Newton.
NEWTON, a township and ecclesiastical district, in
the parish of Mottram-in-Longdendale, union of
Ashton-under-Lyne, hundred of Macclesfield, N.
division of the county of Chester, 8 miles (E. by S.)
from Manchester; containing 7501 inhabitants, chiefly
employed in the cotton manufacture. The manor was
acquired in 1302, by Thomas de Newton, in marriage
with the daughter and heiress of Thomas de Davenport.
It was purchased of the representatives of Alexander
Newton, the last heir male of that ancient family, who
died about the year 1690, by Sir Charles Dukenfield, Bart.,
and has since passed with the Dukenfield estates. The
township comprises about 800 acres, and stands high;
the soil is clay, and coal and stone are wrought. The
Manchester and Sheffield railway has a station here.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the
Vicar of Mottram; income, £150, with a house. The
church, St. Mary's, was built in 1839, at a cost of
£2500, and is in the Norman style. The Wesleyan
Methodists have a place of worship; and there is a
NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division
of the county of Chester, 5¼ miles (N. N. W.) from
Macclesfield; containing 103 inhabitants. The manor
seems to be an appendage of Butley. The township is
bounded by the river Dean on the north, and by the
Bollin on the south, and comprises 233 acres, the soil of
which is partly clay and partly sand. According to
Bishop Gastrell's Notitia Cestriensis, here was anciently a
chapel of ease.
NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Middlewich, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of
the county of Chester, ¼ of a mile (W.) from the town
of Middlewich; containing 1512 inhabitants. The manor
was for a considerable time possessed by the family of
Crewe, who sold it about the beginning of the present
century to John Roylance, Esq., who built a mansion on
the estate, called Manor Hall, for his own residence.
The township comprises 844 acres, chiefly of a clay soil.
The village is on the road from Middlewich to Northwich.
Newton, with Larton
NEWTON, with Larton, a township, in the parish
of West Kirby, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester,
8¼ miles (N. N. W.) from Great Neston; containing 53
inhabitants. Newton formed part of the possessions of
the old Lancashire family of Banastre, from whom it
passed to the family of Venables, of Kinderton; after
which, there is some difficulty in tracing the tenure of the
lands until about the middle of the 17th century, when,
partly by descent and partly by purchase, the greater
portion of the township became the property of Thomas
Bennett, who died in 1668. He left several claimants
to dispute the manorial rights, bequeathing the New
House estate, consisting of 252 acres, to the poor of his
native parish, West Kirby. The manor is now claimed
by the Jacsons, of Newton-Bank, near Preston-brook.
Part of the township belongs to Sir William Stanley,
Bart., whose ancestors, the Masseys of Puddington,
are noticed in the reign of Elizabeth as holding lands
in Newton. The township comprises 448 acres, of a
Newton (St. Petrock)
NEWTON (St. Petrock), a parish, in the union of
Bideford, hundred of Shebbear, Black Torrington
and Shebbear, and N. divisions of Devon, 7½ miles
(S. W.) from the town of Great Torrington; containing
261 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1326 acres, of
which 300 are common or waste land. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 5. 7½.; patron
and incumbent, the Rev. F. D. Lempriere: the tithes
have been commuted for £151, and the glebe comprises
76 acres. The church is an ancient structure. There
is a place of worship for Baptists.
Newton, with Deanlane
NEWTON, with Deanlane, a district, in the parish of Hanley, union of Wimborne and Cranborne,
hundred of Sixpenny-Handley, Wimborne division of
the county of Dorset; containing 253 inhabitants.
Newton, with Northway
NEWTON, with Northway, a tything, in the parish
of Ashchurch, union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Tewkesbury, E. division of the county of
Gloucester; containing 230 inhabitants.
NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Clodock,
union of Dore, hundred of Ewyaslacy, county of
Hereford; containing 275 inhabitants. It is situated
on the left bank of the river Eskley, and comprises 1571
acres. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for
£30. 2., and the impropriate for £91. 10.
Newton, with Letton and Walford, county of Hereford.—See Walford.
NEWTON, with Letton and Walford, county of
NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Croft,
union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of
Hereford; containing 104 inhabitants, and comprising
517 acres. The tithes have been commuted for £85.
Newton, with Scales
NEWTON, with Scales, a township, in the ecclesiastical parish of Lund, parish of Kirkham, union of
the Fylde, hundred of Amounderness, N. division of
Lancashire, 2 miles (S. E. by E.) from Kirkham; containing 324 inhabitants. Two carucates of land are
mentioned as belonging to Newtune, in the Domesday
survey. The Clifton family were lords of Scales before
the 17th of Edward II. In inquisitions of the reigns of
Henry VII. and VIII., Newton is named as a place
within Scales. The township lies on the road from
Kirkham to Preston, and comprises 1191 acres, of which
138 are roads, &c.; the cultivated land is equally divided between arable and pasture: the high land is
strong clay, and the lower parts marshy; the surface
generally is rather flat. Scales Hall is in the township;
and a farmhouse now stands on the site of the ancient
mansion of Newton Hall. The impropriate tithes have
been commuted for £160, payable to the Dean and
Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford, and the vicarial for
£90. A Blue-coat school was founded and liberally endowed by John Hornby, in 1707; and James Boys, in
1809, bequeathed £800 in furtherance of the charity,
the annual income of which is at present about £481.
Newton, with Hardhorn.—See Hardhorn.
NEWTON, with Hardhorn.—See Hardhorn.
NEWTON, a parochial chapelry, in the parish and
union of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire; comprising the townships of
Bradford, Droylsden, Failsworth, Newton, and Moston;
and containing 16,521 inhabitants, of whom 6127 are in
Newton township, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Manchester. The manufacture of cotton, and the printing
of calico, are carried on to a considerable extent, and
silk-weaving upon a smaller scale. The village of Newton lies on the road from Manchester to Oldham; and
the Manchester and Leeds railway and the Rochdale
canal pass through the chapelry. The townships of
Newton and Bradford are within the parliamentary
borough of Manchester. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £155; patrons and appropriators,
the Dean and Chapter of Manchester. The former
chapel, dedicated to All Saints, and built prior to 1650,
fell down on the 2nd of May, 1808: the present edifice
was erected on its site, at an expense of £8000, defrayed
by a rate on the inhabitants, and is a handsome structure
in the later English style. The townships of Droylsden
and Failsworth have lately been constituted ecclesiastical
parishes, under the provisions of the act 6th and 7th
Victoria, cap. 37; a church was consecrated in the latter
in Nov. 1846, and one was erected in the former in
1847. There are several places of worship for dissenters;
and numerous schools.
Newton (St. Botolph)
NEWTON (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union of
Sleaford, wapentake of Aveland, parts of Kesteven,
county of Lincoln, 2¼ miles (N. W. by W.) from Falkingham; containing 221 inhabitants. It comprises
1282 acres. There is a large quarry of stone, used for
the roads and for building. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £10; income, £340, arising
from 227 acres of land allotted in 1767 in lieu of tithes;
patron, Sir W. Earle Welby, Bart. The church is a
modern structure, built at an expense of £900, raised by
subscription. Here is a mineral spring.
Newton (St. Faith)
NEWTON (St. Faith), a parish, in the union of
Kettering, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county
of Northampton, 3¾ miles (N. by E.) from Kettering;
containing 103 inhabitants. This place anciently included two townships, Great and Little Newton, each of
which had a chapel of ease, subordinate to the church
of Geddington. It formed part of the possessions of
Pipewell Abbey. Newton is believed to be the spot
where the Gunpowder Treason was hatched, and a small
artificial island is pointed out near the church, as the
actual scene where the conspirators held their meetings,
in a summer-house, now destroyed. The island is
marked by a fine yew and several cedar-trees. The
parish comprises by measurement 1153 acres: limestone
of good quality is abundant, and is quarried for burning
into lime, and also for repairing highways. The roads
from Stamford and from Uppingham to Kettering pass
through; and the parish is watered by the Ise, a stream
which falls into the river Nene near Wellingborough.
The living is a donative; net income, £40; patron and
impropriator, the Duke of Buccleuch. The two original
chapels at Great and Little Newton were destroyed
about the period of the great rebellion. The present
church, which was probably at first the private chapel of
the Tresham family, is in the decorated style, with a
tower and spire: its appearance has been much injured
by stucco on the walls, and by late repairs. The canopy
work of the ancient piscina is still to be seen; and there
is a brass bearing date Kalendas Maii anno d[omin]i m. cccc,
to the memory of one of the Treshams and his wife
Joanna: it represents two figures kneeling at the foot of
a cross, at the head of which is a figure of St. Faith,
with the inscription Sancta Fides, Virgo et Martyr. There
are also fragments of a marble slab, with an engraved
effigy in armour, to Richard Tresham.
NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Embleton,
union of Alnwick, S. division of Bambrough ward,
N. division of Northumberland, 10 miles (N. N. E.)
from Alnwick; containing 488 inhabitants. The township is bounded on the east by the sea, and comprises
about 1170 acres, of which 400 are pasture, and the remainder land well suited to the cultivation of wheat.
There is abundance of coal and limestone; but the former, which is chiefly wrought on the lands of John
Potts, Esq., of Benton Park, is of inferior quality, containing much sulphuret of iron and many other impurities. The beds of limestone in connexion with the
coal strata abound with fossil shells, and one of them,
much thicker than the rest, from the great number of
cockle-shells found in it, is by the miners called the
cockle-shell bed. Newton House, with 350 acres, is the
property of Gordon Joseph Forster, Esq. At SeaHouses, in the township, a preventive station is maintained; the inhabitants are chiefly employed in taking
turbot, lobsters, herrings, and other kinds of fish.
NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Chillingham, union of Glendale, E. division of Glendale
ward, N. division of the county of Northumberland,
3½ miles (E. S. E.) from Wooler; containing 134 inhabitants. The Lill burn flows on the south of the
hamlet, near which is an ancient cross, twelve feet high,
called by the country people the Hurl Stone.
NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Bywell
St. Peter, union of Hexham, E. division of Tindale
ward, S. division of Northumberland, 7¾ miles (E.
by N.) from Hexham; containing 127 inhabitants. It
is about a mile north-west from Bywell, not far from
the river Tyne. Considerable improvements have been
made within the present century by repairing roads, and
by rebuilding. A limestone-quarry is wrought.
NEWTON, a township, partly in the parish of
Bingham, N. division, and partly in the parish of
Shelford, S. division, of the wapentake of Bingham,
union of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 2 miles (N. N. W.) from Bingham; containing 149 inhabitants. There is a place of worship for
NEWTON, formerly a representative borough, in the
parish of Calbourn, liberty
of West Medina, Isle of
Wight division of the county
of Southampton, 5¼ miles
(W. by N.) from Newport;
containing 95 inhabitants.
This place was once called
Francheville, which name occurs in a charter by Oymer,
Bishop of Winchester, who
bestowed such liberties and
franchises on the burgesses of Newton as were enjoyed
by those of Taunton, Alresford, and Farnham. This
charter was confirmed by Edward II. and IV., and by
Queen Elizabeth. The town was of considerable extent;
it was burned by the Danes in 1001, and by the French
in the reign of Richard II., and is now reduced to a very
few cottages. The town-hall, now used as a Sundayschool, contained some curiously carved oak chairs,
supposed to be of the time of Elizabeth, and which were
removed to Swainston; it stands on an eminence overlooking one of the creeks of Newton harbour, which is
formed by the junction of the river Newton with the sea,
and which, at high water, will admit vessels of 500 tons'
burthen. The borough had a titular mayor, chosen by
the burgage-holders. It first sent representatives to
parliament in the 27th year of the reign of Elizabeth,
and was disfranchised by the act of the 2nd of William
IV., in consequence of which the corporation property,
including the town-hall, was sold, and the proceeds were
applied to rebuilding the ancient chapel of Newton, retaining as much as possible its style of architecture. At
the east end is a handsome window of stained glass, in
which are the armorial bearings of the old corporation,
with those of the Earl of Yarborough, Sir R. Simeon,
and the Hon. Mr. A'Court; and on each side of the
window are two niches preserved from the former
NEWTON, a liberty, in the parish of Blithfield,
poor-law union of Uttoxeter, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (W. by N.) from Abbot's-Bromley; containing 214 inhabitants. It adjoins the spacious grounds
of Blithfield Hall on the north-west.
NEWTON, with Biggin, a hamlet, in the parish of
Clifton-upon-Dunsmoor, union of Rugby, Rugby
division of the hundred of Knightlow, N. division of
the county of Warwick, 3 miles (N. E.) from Rugby;
containing 245 inhabitants. Newton is said to owe its
name to a plantation which was then New, in comparison with the plantations in neighbouring places. A
portion of the village belonged to the priory of Kenilworth; and in the reign of Richard II. the abbey of
Combe held lands here, arising from several benefactions: the latter establishment retained its possessions
till the Dissolution, when they passed to several proprietors. Biggin was anciently called Holme, and was
a village in the Conqueror's time, though in the time of
Dugdale little was left besides a mill: the modern name
signifies a habitation. The hamlet or township is situated on the borders of Leicestershire, and bounded on
the east by the ancient Watling-street; it consists of
1011 acres. Edward Cave, the founder and first editor
of the Gentleman's Magazine, was born here in 1691.
Newton, N. riding of York.—See Leeming.
NEWTON, N. riding of York.—See Leeming.
NEWTON, a chapelry, in the parish, union, and
lythe of Pickering, N. riding of York, 5 miles (N. by
E.) from Pickering; containing 233 inhabitants. It
comprises about 2000 acres. Denton Dale, here, is traversed by the Whitby and Pickering railway; and among
its lofty and rugged acclivities is Killing Nab Scar,
where a breed of large hawks have built their nests from
an early period. There is a small chapel of ease; also a
place of worship for Independents, and a free school.
NEWTON, a township, in the parish of Slaidburn,
union of Clitheroe, W. division of the wapentake of
Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 7 miles
(N. N. W.) from Clitheroe; containing 461 inhabitants.
It comprises by computation 3000 acres, including a
hilly moorland district; the low land is very rich meadow and pasture. A lead-mine and smelt-mill here are
the property of Peregrine Townley, Esq. The village is
seated on the river Hodder, about a mile and a half
south of Slaidburn; fairs are held in it on March 14th,
April 14th, and September 16th. The tithes have been
commuted for £90, and the glebe consists of two acres
and a half. There is a place of worship for the Society
of Friends, who have an endowed grammar school; and
the Independents, also, have a place of worship. A
national school was built in 1842, in which divine service is performed every Sunday. The township is entitled to send aged widows to Waddington Hospital.