NEWTOWN, a hamlet, in the parish of Dunton,
union and hundred of Biggleswade, county of Bedford; containing 57 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a township, in the parish of Irthington, union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division
of the county of Cumberland, 2¾ miles (N. W. by W.)
from Brampton; containing 217 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, with Hurst, a township, in the parish
of Dilwyn, union of Weobley, hundred of Stretford,
county of Hereford; with 79 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a hamlet, in the parish and poor-law
union of Leominster, hundred of Wolphy, county of
Hereford, 4 miles (S. by E.) from the town of Leominster; containing 72 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a township, in the parish and union
of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N.
division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (W. S. W.) from
Rothbury; containing 57 inhabitants. It is situated on
the northern declivity of a ridge of rocks; the streams
of the Cowett wells unite here, and, dashing down the
steep and passing Tosson mill, are lost in the Coquet,
which flows on the north, a short distance from the
hamlet. The land is good turnip soil. On the east of
the township is the Carterside estate, partly the property
of the Duke of Northumberland.
NEWTOWN, a chapelry, in the parish and union of
Wem, Whitchurch division of the hundred of North
Bradford, N. division of the county of Salop, 3 miles
(N. W.) from Wem; containing 79 inhabitants. The
chapelry comprises 2638a. 10p., of which the greater
portion is arable land. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £44; patrons, the Inhabitants. The chapel,
consecrated in 1663, and dedicated to King Charles the
Martyr, was rebuilt in 1836, at the expense of the principal inhabitants, aided by grants from societies.
NEWTOWN, a hamlet, in the parish of Durnford,
union and hundred of Amesbury, S. division of the
county of Wilts; containing 28 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a tything, in the parish of Enford,
union of Pewsey, hundred of Elstub and Everley,
Everley and Pewsey, and S. divisions of the county of
Wilts; containing 78 inhabitants.
NEWTOWN, a tything, in the parish of Shalbourn,
union of Hungerford, hundred of Kinwardstone,
Marlborough and Ramsbury, and S. divisions of the
county of Wilts; containing 51 inhabitants.
Newtown-Linford (All Saints)
NEWTOWN-LINFORD (All Saints), a parish, in
the union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of West
Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5½
miles (N. W.) from Leicester; containing 495 inhabitants. It is pleasantly situated at the south corner of
Charnwood Forest, in a beautiful valley, surrounded by
rich woodlands, and adjoining the park of Broadgate,
the ancient seat of the Greys, ancestors of the Earl of
Stamford and Warrington, the present proprietor. The
inhabitants are principally employed in the very extensive woods. The parish is a lay rectory, belonging to
the earl, as lord of the manor of Groby; net income of
the minister, £100.
Newtown-Near-Newbury (St. Mary and St. John the Baptist)
NEWTOWN-NEAR-NEWBURY (St. Mary and
St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Newbury, hundred of Evingar, Kingsclere and N. divisions
of the county of Southampton, 2 miles (S. by E.) from
Newbury; containing 246 inhabitants. The living is
annexed to the rectory of Burghclere: the tithes have
been commuted for £100. 13., and the glebe comprises
two acres. The church has been enlarged.
NEW-VILLAGE, an extra-parochial liberty, in the
union of Howden, Hunsley-Beacon division of the
wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York, 2½ miles
(S. W.) from North Cave; containing 160 inhabitants.
It comprises 490 acres of land, which formed part of
Walling Fen previous to its inclosure in 1780: the village is a suburb of Newport and New Gilberdike, where
are commodious wharfs and several brick and tile yards,
on both sides of the Market-Weighton canal. The road
from North Cave to Howden passes through.
NIBLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Westerleigh,
poor-law union of Chipping-Sodbury, hundred of
Puckle-Church, W. division of the county of Gloucester; containing 186 inhabitants.
Nibley, North (St. Martin)
NIBLEY, NORTH (St. Martin), a parish, in the
union of Dursley, Upper division of the hundred of
Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester,
2½ miles (N. W.) from Wotton-under-Edge; containing
1305 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3240a. 1r. 27p.,
of which 132 acres are common land. The manufacture of woollen-cloth was formerly carried on to a great
extent, but the mills have been long untenanted, and the
trade discontinued. There are some quarries of stone
for building, and for repairing the roads. The right to
the manor was litigated between the families of Berkeley
and Lisle for nearly 200 years, during which William,
Lord Berkeley, and Thomas, Lord Lisle, had recourse to
arms to decide their right; on May 20th, 1470, the
parties met on Nibley Green with their respective followers, amounting to nearly 1000 men, of whom 150
fell in the combat, and amongst them Lord Lisle, who
was shot in the mouth with an arrow, which decided
the contest. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £95; patron, J. Jortin, Esq.; appropriators, the
Dean and Canons of Christ-Church, Oxford. The church
lately received 60 additional free sittings, the Incorporated Society having granted £50 in aid of the expense.
A chapel has been built at the extremity of the parish,
by George Bengough, Esq., who appoints a curate, to
whom he pays £150 per annum. There is a place of
worship for Independents. William Purnell, in 1763,
bequeathed £300 for teaching, and an estate for apprenticing, boys; the total annual income is £57. It is said
that Tindal the reformer resided here.
NIBTHWAITE, a township, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north
of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster,
8 miles (N.) from Ulverston. Thomas Dodgson, in the
1st of Henry VIII., occupied the old mansion of Bothaker in this township: the house still stands. The lake
of Coniston begins to contract here, towards its termination in the river Crake.
NICHOL-FOREST, a chapelry, in the parish of
Kirk-Andrews-upon-Esk, union of Longtown, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland, 10½ miles (N.
E. by N.) from Longtown; containing 825 inhabitants,
of whom 449 are in the Upper, and 376 in the Lower,
township. The Liddel and Kershop rivers, which separate the chapelry from Scotland, here produce some
beautiful cascades; and from the bed of the former,
rises a chalybeate spring called Hert-fell Spa, the water
of which is strongly impregnated with alum. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £132; patron,
Sir J. R. G. Graham, Bart. The chapel, situated at
Kingfield, was rebuilt in the year 1812. Armstrong,
the poet, was born in the neighbourhood.
NICHOLAS, ST., a parish, in the union of NewtonAbbott, hundred of Wonford, Teignbridge and S.
divisions of Devon, 5½ miles (E. by S.) from NewtonAbbott; containing 1175 inhabitants. This parish is
bounded on the east by the Teign, and lies opposite to
Teignmouth, with which it communicates by a bridge
over the river; it comprises the pleasant village of
Shaldon, and the greater part of the hamlet of Ringmore, and the neighbourhood abounds with diversified
scenery. The living is a discharged vicarage; income,
£125; patron, Lord Clifford; impropriators, the landowners.
Nicholas, St., At Wade
NICHOLAS, ST., AT WADE, a parish, in the union
of the Isle of Thanet, hundred of Ringslow, or Isle
of Thanet, lathe of St. Augustine, E. division of Kent,
6½ miles (W. S. W.) from Margate; containing 679 inhabitants. It comprises 3440 acres, of which 25 are
marsh. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the
Archbishop of Canterbury (the appropriator), valued in
the king's books at £15. 19. 7.; net income, £161.
The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £25, with a
glebe of 9 acres; and those belonging to the Archbishop
for £1026, with a glebe of 12 acres. The church consists of three aisles and chancels, with a square tower at
the west end; between the centre and south aisle are three
fine Saxon arches. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also two schools, one endowed with £16 per
annum, and the other supported by subscription.
NICKLEBY, a township, in the parish of Lythe,
union of Whitby, E. division of the liberty of Langbaurgh, N. riding of York, 6½ miles (W. by N.) from
the town of Whitby; containing 186 inhabitants. This
place, called in Domesday book Michelbi, was an ancient
manor, which in the reign of John came to the Mauleys, who held of the king in capite. The lands were
granted out at an early period, for it appears that in
the time of Edward I. the free tenants had four carucates
of land here, which they held of Peter de Mauley, as of
the barony of Mulgrave. Nickleby is situated near the
road from Whitby to Guisborough.
NIDD, a parish, in the liberty of Ripon, W. riding
of York, 1½ mile (E.) from Ripley; containing 114 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the south by the
river Nidd, and comprises 1013a. 2r. 24½p., of which 450
acres are arable, 465 meadow and pasture, and the remainder wood and plantations. The surface is gently
undulated, and the prevailing scenery pleasingly rural:
the soil varies greatly; the pastures and meadows, with
the exception only of a few acres, are luxuriantly rich,
but a considerable portion of the arable land is cold,
and produces indifferent crops. Nidd Hall, the seat of
the ancient family of Trappes, was purchased, together
with the estate, about the year 1830, from Francis Michael Trappes, Esq., by Benjamin Rawson, Esq. The
village is situated on the road from Knaresborough to
Pateley-Bridge. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £3. 6. 10½., and in the
patronage of the Crown, in right of the duchy of Lancaster; net income, £96; appropriators, the Dean and
Chapter of Ripon Cathedral. The church is a very
NIDEN, an extra-parochial place, in the union of
Langport, hundred of Abdick and Bulstone, W.
division of Somerset; containing 65 inhabitants.
NIGHTON, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Winnow, union of Bodmin, hundred of West, E. division
of the county of Cornwall, 2 miles (E. by N.) from
Lostwithiel. The chapel is dedicated to St. Necton.