Orpington (All Saints)
ORPINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Bromley, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-atHone, W. division of Kent, 3 miles (S. by W.) from
Foot's-Cray; containing 907 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 3502 acres, of which 840 are in wood: the
river Cray has its source here. The living is a discharged vicarage, with that of St. Mary Cray annexed,
valued in the king's books at £11. 10. 5.; patron, the
Rector. The rectory is a sinecure, valued in the king's
books at £30. 14. 4½.; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The tithes of Orpington and St. Mary Cray
have been commuted for £1181 payable to the rector,
and £380 payable to the vicar; the rector has 78 acres
of glebe, and the vicar one acre. There is a place of
worship for Independents. Queen Elizabeth was splendidly entertained at the manor-house in 1573.
Orrell, with Ford
ORRELL, with Ford, a township, in the parish of
Sefton, union and hundred of West Derby, S. division
of Lancashire, 4½ miles (N.) from Liverpool; containing 235 inhabitants. The Blundells, of Crosby, had
lands here in the reign of Edward III. John del Plat,
in the reign of Henry VI., gave to John Bawden all his
hereditary lands in Orrell; and Joan, widow of the lastnamed, soon afterwards gave to Henry Blundell, of Little
Crosby, all the messuages, lands, and tenements which
she possessed here. The township comprises 470 acres,
of a light soil, with a red-sandstone substratum; it
stands elevated, and has fine views of the sea and the
Welsh hills. The Leeds and Liverpool canal intersects
Ford. Halton House, in the township, is the seat of
Gilbert Henry Harrison, Esq.: from the grounds are
extensive prospects, which, besides the sea and the Welsh
hills, include the Cumberland mountains. The air is
very salubrious and healthy. The tithes have been
commuted for £155.
ORRELL, a township, in the parish and union of
Wigan, hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire, 3¼ miles (W.) from Wigan, on the road to
Ormskirk; containing 2478 inhabitants. In the Domesday survey, this place is returned as being exempt from
danegeld, and fines for wounding and rape. In the
32nd of Edward I., Robert de Holland had a charter of
free warren here, and three years afterwards he endowed
the priory of Holland with lands in Orrell. An heiress
of the family married Sir John Lovell, ancestor of
Francis, Viscount Lovell, who was attainted in the reign
of Henry VII., when the manor was granted to the Earl
of Derby, whose representative is the present lord. The
township comprises 1481 acres, of which 487 are arable,
973 pasture, and 21 woodland; it stands elevated 160
feet above the Wigan canal, and has a good and rich
soil. The river Douglas flows on the north; and the
Liverpool and Bury railway passes through a part of
the south-west side of the township. Orrell Hall, a
mansion in the Elizabethan style, is now a farmhouse.
Orrell Mount was until lately occupied as a nunnery of
French Benedictines. The nuns of this establishment
quitted France in October 1792, in the midst of the
tragical scenes of the revolution, and fixed themselves at
Heath, in the West riding of Yorkshire, whence they
removed to this place in 1821; they have lately left,
and taken up their residence at St. Mary's Priory, Princethorp, near Coventry. The Independents have a place
of worship, with a school attached; there is also a
national school. Here is a fine mineral spring, which
discharges about 300 gallons per minute.
Orsett (St. Giles and All Saints)
ORSETT (St. Giles and All Saints), a parish, and
the head of a union, in the hundred of Barstable, S.
division of Essex, 18½ miles (S. S. W.) from Chelmsford; containing 1435 inhabitants. The parish comprises 4136 acres, the soil of which in the northern part
is heavy and swampy, but in the middle lighter; 237
acres are common or waste. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £29. 6. 8., and in the gift
of the Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for £1225, and there is a glebe-house, with 10
acres of land. The church is large and handsome, and
contains some very beautiful monuments to the Baker
family. Here is an endowed school, founded by Edward
Anson, Esq., and now in connexion with the National
Society. The poor have considerable bequests in land.
The union of Orsett comprises eighteen parishes or places,
and contains a population of 10,157. In the neighbourhood are vestiges of ancient intrenchments, inclosing four
or five acres.
Orston (St. Mary)
ORSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union, and N.
division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division of
the county of Nottingham, 6¼ miles (E. by N.) from
Bingham; containing 501 inhabitants. It comprises
by computation 1800 acres. The soil is marly, resting
towards the east and south upon limestone, and near
the west upon a reddish clay; and there is an extensive
bed of gypsum, used very generally for floors. The
small river Smite runs through the parish. The living
is a discharged vicarage, with the livings of Scarrington
and Thoroton annexed, valued in the king's books at
£12. 4. 7.; net income, £268; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The tithes
were commuted for 132 acres of land in 1796. The
body of the church is ancient, but the tower was rebuilt
about the year 1763. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. Near the village is a powerful chalybeate
spring impregnated with sulphur.
ORTON, a parish, in the union of Carlisle, ward
and E. division of Cumberland; containing, with the
township of Baldwinholme, 482 inhabitants, of whom
204 are in the township of Orton, 5½ miles (W. by S.)
from Carlisle. This place was anciently of greater importance than it is at present, and many Roman remains
have been discovered in the neighbourhood. The whole
parish was formerly encompassed by a rampart and
ditch; and at the extremity of each of two lanes running
northward and eastward from the village, is an intrenchment for the defence of the road, across which an iron
chain was fixed, to guard against sudden attacks from
the moss-troopers during the border warfare. Coal is
found. A market once held has long been disused.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9;
net income, £370; patron, Sir Wastell Brisco, Bart.
Near the church is a school, endowed in 1785, by
Thomas Pattinson, with the interest of £100. William
Nicholson, a learned divine and antiquary, was born
here in 1655.
ORTON, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred of
Rothwell, union of Kettering, N. division of the
county of Northampton, 4¼ miles (W. by N.) from
Kettering; containing 110 inhabitants. It comprises
928a. 2r. 28p., of hilly surface, and producing excellent
corn: stone is quarried for the roads. By an inclosure
act in 1782, one hundred guineas per annum are paid to
Rothwell Hospital, in lieu of tithes. The chapel is dedicated to All Saints.
ORTON, a liberty, in the parish of Wombourne,
union of Seisdon, S. division of the hundred of Seisdon
and of the county of Stafford, 1 mile (N. by W.) from
the village of Wombourne; containing 169 inhabitants,
and comprising 1128a. 2r. 18p. The impropriate tithes,
payable to Lord Wrottesley, have been commuted for
£180, and the vicarial for £100. 13.
Orton (All Saints)
ORTON (All Saints), a market-town and parish, in
East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 9 miles
(S. W. by S.) from Appleby, and 275 (N. W. by N.) from
London; containing, with the townships of Bretherdale,
Langdale, Raisbeck, Tebay, part of Birbeck-Fells, and part
of Fawcet Forest, 1449 inhabitants, of whom 558 are in
the township of Orton. The town is pleasantly situated
near the river Lune, and consists chiefly of one irregular
street; it is supplied with water from two small rivulets,
uniting at its extremity. There is a copper-mine in the
neighbourhood; also abundance of limestone, and some
quarries of white sandstone. The Appleby and Kendal
road passes through, and at Tebay is a station of the
Lancaster and Carlisle railway. A small market is held
on Friday, the grant of which was confirmed by Cromwell, in 1653; and there are fairs on May 3rd, the
Friday before Whit-Sunday, and the second Friday
after Old Michaelmas, for horned cattle and sheep; and
on the 20th August for sheep only. The parish contains
about 25,000 acres, one-third of which is mountainous
common land uninclosed, about 60 acres are woodland,
and the rest meadow and pasture, with the exception of
a few hundred acres in tillage.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £16. 17. 3½.; net income, £235; patrons and impropriators, the Landowners. The tithes of the manor of
Orton were commuted for land in 1769, and the tithes
of the rest of the parish have been commuted for a rentcharge and seven acres of land under the commutation
acts. There is a glebe of 214 acres, with a glebe-house.
The church, standing upon rising ground on the north
side of the town, is a neat edifice in the ancient English
style, with a low embattled tower, and contains a monument in memory of Dr. Richard Burn, forty-nine years
vicar, author of treatises on The Office of a Justice of the
Peace and on Ecclesiastical Law, and, conjointly with
Joseph Nicholson, of the History of Westmorland and
Cumberland. There are places of worship for Baptists,
Wesleyans, and other dissenters; also a free school
having several benefactions. On the highest part of
Orton Scar was formerly a beacon, communicating with
those of Penrith, Stainmore, and Winfell in Kendal;
and behind the Scar, to the east, is Castle-Folds, a place
of safety for cattle in case of incursions from the Scottish
borderers, before the union of the two kingdoms. Two
large mounds near Tebay, called Castle How, commanding the pass by the river Lune, are Roman fortifications;
and a little lower down the valley, near Borrowbridge,
is a large square Roman camp, where several coins of
the reign of Adrian were lately found. Near Raisgill
Hall is a circular tumulus of loose stones, one hundred
yards in circumference, on digging beneath which a human
skeleton and several bones have been discovered. In
a field called Gamelands is a number of large granite
stones, the remains of a Druidical temple. Three-quarters of a mile from the church, is Our Lady's Well. Dr.
Thomas Barlow, Bishop of Lincoln, and a writer of some
eminence, was born in the parish in 1607.
Orton-Longville (Holy Trinity)
ORTON-LONGVILLE (Holy Trinity), a parish,
in the union of Peterborough, hundred of NormanCross, county of Huntingdon, 2¼ miles (S. W. by W.)
from Peterborough; containing, with the merged parish
of Botolph-Bridge, 264 inhabitants. The parish is situated near the river Nene, on which is a wharf at Woodstone, about two miles distant. There are quarries of
stone, which is used for repairing the roads, and in
which are found numerous fossils and antediluvian remains. The living is a rectory, with that of BotolphBridge united in 1721, valued together in the king's
books at £20. 13. 4.; net income, £332; patron, the
Marquess of Huntly. The church, chiefly in the early
and decorated English styles, having fallen into a very
dilapidated condition, was restored by the munificence
of the Duke of Northumberland and the Marquess of
Huntly, in 1836, and is now a beautiful and interesting
specimen of its kind; in the process of restoration, the
foundations of a Norman structure, and a font of that
character, were discovered. The church of BotolphBridge, dedicated to All Saints, is desecrated. Lady
Mary Armyne, in 1654, bequeathed a rent-charge of
£22, for widows or widowers; and there is a fund of
£8. 10. per annum for distribution in coal. The late
Bishop of Quebec was rector of the parish from 1798
Orton-on-the-Hill (St. Edith)
ORTON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Edith), a parish, in
the union of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles
(N.) from Atherstone; containing 348 inhabitants. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £6. 12. 8.; net income, £218, with a house,
recently built; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of
Oxford. The church is a handsome structure.
Orton-Waterville, or Overton (St. Mary)
ORTON-WATERVILLE, or Overton (St. Mary),
a parish, in the union of Peterborough, hundred of
Norman-Cross, county of Huntingdon, 3 miles (S. W.
by W.) from Peterborough; containing 313 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£12. 11. 5½.; net income, £354; patrons, the Master
and Fellows of Pembroke Hall, Cambridge. The tithes
were commuted for land and a money payment in 1805.
There is an allotment of land, let for £30, of which a
portion is applied in the distribution of coal, and in
procuring medical advice for the poor.
Orwell (St. Andrew)
ORWELL (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of
Caxton and Arrington, hundred of Wetherley,
county of Cambridge, 7½ miles (N. N. W.) from Royston; containing 583 inhabitants. The living, till lately,
comprised a sinecure rectory and a discharged vicarage,
the former valued in the king's books at £19. 19. 4½.;
and the latter at £7. 10. 10., but which are now united;
net income, £313; patrons, the Master and Fellows of
Trinity College, Cambridge. At Malton, anciently a
distinct parish, is a church, now used as a barn. A school
was founded and liberally endowed in 1743, by the Rev.
John Colbatch, D.D., some time rector.
OSBALDESTON, a township, in the parish, union,
and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N.
division of Lancashire, 4½ miles (N. W. by N.) from
Blackburn; containing 289 inhabitants. This place
gave name to one of the first families in the county, who
were seated here until the beginning of the 18th century.
It was the property of Eilfi of Osbaldeston, a Saxon,
whose son Hugh was living in the 30th of Henry III.:
from this latter the Osbaldeston family descended;
while from his brother William, who assumed the surname of Balderston, descended a family which terminated in two co-heiresses, in the reign of Henry VI.
This is a small township, sloping down to the banks of
the river Ribble, and near the road from Preston to
Whalley; the surface is undulated, the soil various, and
the scenery beautiful. Lord de Tabley is lord of the
manor. Here was a chapel in 1560. The Roman Catholic chapel of St. Mary, in the township, was built in
1836, and has recently been decorated in accordance
with its style of architecture. It has an open roof,
which is painted blue, and interspersed with stars; the
altar and tabernacle are richly embellished with gold,
and some of the windows are filled with stained glass:
within an arch are three figures, the centre one representing the Virgin, with St. Augustine and St. William
on the right and left. The priest, the Rev. Thomas
Irving, has a farm valued at £40 per annum, with a
house. Adjacent are schools, built in 1846, at a cost
Osbaldwick (St. Thomas)
OSBALDWICK (St. Thomas), a parish, in the union
of York, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of York;
containing, with the township of Murton, 361 inhabitants, of whom 200 are in the township of Osbaldwick,
2¼ miles (E.) from York. The township comprises
about 700 acres, of which 300 are arable, and 400 meadow and pasture. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £4; patron, the Archbishop of York; net income, including a recent augmentation from the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, £145.
The tithes were for the most part commuted, under an
act of inclosure, in 1769.
OSBASTON, a township, in the union of MarketBosworth, partly in the parish of Market-Bosworth,
but chiefly in that of Cadeby, hundred of Sparkenhoe,
S. division of the county of Leicester, 2 miles (N. E.)
from Market-Bosworth; containing 209 inhabitants.
OSBERTON, a township, in the parish and union
of Worksop, Hatfield division of the wapentake of
Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham;
containing 127 inhabitants. Osberton Hall is an elegant mansion, surrounded by beautiful scenery.
Osbournby (St. Peter and St. Paul)
OSBOURNBY (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish,
in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2¾ miles (N.)
from Falkingham; containing 599 inhabitants. It is
situated on the road from London to Lincoln, and comprises 1500 acres: stone for building and for the roads
is quarried. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £7. 0. 5.; net income, £234;
patrons, Hulme's Trustees; impropriator, M. A. Barham, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1795; the vicarial glebe consists of
about 140 acres. The church, erected in the fourteenth
century, contains some stalls, the remains of a rood-loft,
a screen, and a large ancient font. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
OSCOTT, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Aston, Birmingham division of the hundred of Hemlingford, N. division of Warwickshire, 6 miles (N.)
from Birmingham. This place is distinguished as the
site of a large Roman Catholic college, founded in 1794,
and devoted to religious and secular purposes, under the
title of "St. Mary's College, Oscott." The establishment
was, till lately, conducted in a building situated about
two miles distant, in the parish of Handsworth, Staffordshire; but in 1837, the present college was erected,
after a design by Joseph Potter, Esq., at a cost of about
£40,000. It is a fine edifice in the Elizabethan style,
presenting a front of 346 feet, and two wings, besides a
chapel and offices, which occupy another wing; the situation is exceedingly imposing, and the pleasure-grounds,
extending over about 15 acres, comprise handsome
gardens, plantations, and terraces. The interior of the
buildings was partly fitted up under the superintendence
of A. W. Pugin, Esq. The chapel, which was consecrated May 29th, 1838, is elaborately decorated with
stained glass and carvings in oak; the library containing nearly 20,000 volumes, occupies two spacious rooms,
and there are, besides, a valuable museum, and numerous
paintings scattered through the principal apartments
and the galleries. Accommodation can be provided for
about 130 students, exclusively of professors. The course
of instruction embraces the various departments of
literature, science, and philosophy, and theology for such
as are intended for the priesthood.
OSEBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Haydor, union
of Grantham, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts of
Kesteven, county of Lincoln; with 173 inhabitants.
Osgarthorpe (St. Mary)
OSGARTHORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, hundred of West Goscote,
N. division of the county of Leicester, 5¼ miles
(E. N. E.) from Ashby; containing 396 inhabitants. A
canal passes from Barrow-hill, in the parish, and, crossing Sheepshead, terminates in Loughborough parish.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £7;
net income, £184; patron, the Marquess of Hastings.
The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1785. In 1670, land was bequeathed by Thomas
Harley, Esq., now producing £379 per annum, for
founding a school, and an hospital for the maintenance
of six clergymen's widows; another cottage was added,
under a bequest by John Allsop in 1683.
OSGODBY, a township, in the parish of Lavington, union of Grantham, wapentake of Beltisloe,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4½ miles (N. E.)
from Corby; containing 82 inhabitants. The vicarial
tithes have been commuted for £149. 10.
Osgodby, with Kirkby, wapentake of Walshcroft, county of Lincoln.—See Kirkby.
OSGODBY, with Kirkby, wapentake of Walshcroft, county of Lincoln.—See Kirkby.
OSGODBY, a township, in the parish of Hemingbrough, union of Selby, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, E. riding of York, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from
Selby; containing 168 inhabitants. It comprises 1524a.
20p. of land: the village is seated about a mile east of
the river Ouse, which also flows in a very devious course
on the south of the township. Certain impropriate
tithes were commuted for land in 1811.
OSGODBY, a township, in the parish of Cayton,
union of Scarborough, Pickering lythe, N. riding of
York, 2¾ miles (S. by E.) from Scarborough; containing 69 inhabitants. It is situated on the sea-shore, and
comprises about 1300 acres; the road from Scarborough
to Filey passes a little to the east of the hamlet.
OSGOODBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Thirkleby,
union of Thirsk, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of
York, 4¾ miles (E. by S.) from Thirsk; containing 29
inhabitants. A small rivulet, which divides the parish
into two parts, flows on the west of the hamlet.