Rede (All Saints)
REDE (All Saints), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Thingoe, W. division of Suffolk, 6 miles
(S. W. by W.) from the town of Bury St. Edmunds;
containing 241 inhabitants. The parish comprises by
measurement 1150 acres: the village is small and very
compact. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in
the king's books at £2. 18. 1½., and in the patronage of
the Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £286,
and the glebe comprises 24 acres. A national school is
supported by a bequest producing an income of £12
per annum, with some smaller benefactions.
REDENHAM, a hamlet, in the parish of Fyfield,
union and hundred of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing 122
REDGHILL, a tything, in the parish of Windford,
union of Bedminster, hundred of Hartcliffe with
Bedminster, E. division of the county of Somerset;
containing 344 inhabitants.
Redgrave (St. Botolph)
REDGRAVE (St. Botolph), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk;
containing, with the chapelry and town of Botesdale,
1352 inhabitants, of whom 719 are in the Redgrave
portion. The parish comprises 2115a. 1r. 32p., and is
bounded on the north by the Lesser Ouse, which separates it from the county of Norfolk. Redgrave Hall,
anciently the seat of the Bacons, afterwards of the Holt
family, and now of George St. Vincent Wilson, Esq., is
a handsome residence. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £25. 7. 1.; net income, £777; patron, Mr. Wilson. The church has a
tower of white brick, recently erected, and is in the decorated English style: on the south side of the chancel
are three sedilia of stone, with enriched canopies; the
east window, of seven lights, is ornamented with tracery. There are several monuments of considerable
beauty of design and execution, particularly that of the
celebrated lord keeper, Sir Nicholas Bacon, and another
to the eminent chief justice, Sir John Holt, both of whom
resided here. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Cardinal Wolsey was rector of the parish in 1506.
REDHILL, an ecclesiastical district, in the union of
Havant, Fareham and S. divisions of the county of
Southampton, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Havant. The
church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was consecrated in July, 1838, and is a neat cruciform structure,
erected at an expense of £600, and containing 272 sittings, of which 232 are free. The living is a perpetual
curacy, endowed with £60 per annum, with a neat residence; and is in the gift of the Incumbents of Havant
and Warblington, alternately.
Redisham, or Redisham Magna (St. Peter)
REDISHAM, or Redisham Magna (St. Peter), a
parish, in the union and hundred of Wangford, E.
division of Suffolk, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Halesworth; containing 165 inhabitants. The living is a
perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the impropriator,
the Earl of Gosford, with a net income of £50: the
tithes have been commuted for £100. The church is
chiefly in the early English style of architecture, with a
rich Norman doorway on the south.
Redisham Parva.—See Ringsfield.
REDISHAM PARVA.—See Ringsfield.
REDLINGFIELD, a parish, in the parliamentary
borough of Eye, union and hundred of Hartismere,
W. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles (S. E.) from Eye;
containing 240 inhabitants. A Benedictine nunnery in
honour of St. Andrew, was founded here in 1120, by
Manasses, Earl of Ghisness, and Emma, his wife; the
revenue, at the Dissolution, was valued at £81. 2. 5.
The remains have been converted into a farmhouse.
The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £71;
patron and impropriator, William Adair, Esq., whose
tithes have been commuted for £251. The church is
chiefly in the decorated style, with a low tower.
REDLYNCH, a chapelry, in the parish and hundred
of Bruton, union of Wincanton, E. division of Somerset, 2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Bruton; containing
69 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net
income, £59; patron and impropriator, Sir H. R. Hoare,
Bart. The chapel, which is of plain architecture, and
dedicated to St. Peter, was originally a chapel of ease to
Bruton. Redlynch gives the inferior title of Baron to
the Earl of Ilchester.
Redmain, with Isell, Cumberland.—See Isell.
REDMAIN, with Isell, Cumberland.—See Isell.
REDMARLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Great
Witley, union of Martley, Lower division of the
hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W.
divisions of the county of Worcester; containing 56
inhabitants, and comprising 2620 acres of land.
Redmarley-D'abitot (St. Bartholomew)
REDMARLEY-D'ABITOT (St. Bartholomew), a
parish, in the union of Newent, and in a detached
portion of the Lower division of the hundred of Oswaldslow, Upton and W. divisions of the county of
Worcester, 5½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Ledbury; containing 981 inhabitants. The parish is situated at the
southern extremity of the county, being bounded on the
west and south by Gloucestershire, and is on the road
from Gloucester to Ledbury. It comprises by measurement 3760 acres. One-half of the soil is sand, and the
other clay; the surface of the former portion is hilly,
and of the latter level. There are three quarries of redsandstone, which is chiefly used for the repair of roads.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£16. 10. 7½., and in the gift of the Niblet family: the
tithes have been commuted for £915, and the glebe
comprises 63 acres. The church is a plain edifice, with
a substantial tower. There is a place of worship for
Red-Marshall (St. Cuthbert)
RED-MARSHALL (St. Cuthbert), a parish, partly
in the union of Stockton, and partly in that of Sedgefield, S. W. division of Stockton ward, S. division of
the county of Durham; containing, with the chapelries
of Carleton and Stillington, 272 inhabitants, of whom
48 are in Red-Marshall township, 4½ miles (W. N. W.)
from Stockton. This place anciently belonged to the
see of Durham, and was given by Bishop Anthony Beck
to his brother John, baron of Eresby in Lincolnshire,
who sold it to the Moultons, from whom it passed in
the 14th century to the Lisles and Langtons. Since
that time the families of Claxton, Morley, Place, Bromley, Spearman, and Vane, have, with others, held property here. The parish comprises 3358a. 19p., of which
956 acres are in the township; of the latter, 693 are
arable, 244 pasture, 9 wood, and 4 common and roads:
the surface is slightly undulated, and the soil clay, producing chiefly wheat. The Clarence railway passes
through the township of Carleton. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £17. 18. 1½., and in
the gift of the Bishop of Durham: the incumbent's
tithes have been commuted for £377, with a glebe of
6½ acres; and £56. 7. are paid to Sherburn Hospital.
The church has a Norman arch leading into the chancel: on the south side are three stone stalls, opposite
to which is an arched recess; and in the south porch
are two recumbent figures, supposed to represent a
male and female of the family of Claxton. The rectory-house appears to have been once fortified; an
embattled tower was lately remaining, but it has been
Redmile (St. Peter)
REDMILE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Grantham, hundred of Framland, N. division of the
county of Leicester, 9 miles (W.) from Grantham;
containing 518 inhabitants. The parish is intersected on
the north-west side by the canal between Grantham
and Nottingham. It comprises by measurement about
1700 acres, of which the portions of arable and pasture
are nearly equal; the surface is generally flat, and the
soil clay, on a lias formation. The lands stretch below
the well-wooded ridge of hills on which Belvoir Castle
stands. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £12. 9. 2.; net income, £391; patron, the
Duke of Rutland. The tithes were commuted for land
and a money payment in 1792.
REDMIRE, a chapelry, in the parish of Wensley,
union of Leybourn, wapentake of Hang-West, N.
riding of York, 6¼ miles (W. N. W.) from Middleham;
containing 288 inhabitants. The lead-mines formerly
in operation here have been almost exhausted, but calamine is got in abundance, and in the neighbourhood coal
is obtained. In the chapelry is a fine spring strongly
impregnated with sulphur, with a convenient well for
bathing. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to
that of Bolton-Castle: the chapel is dedicated to St.
Mary. The tithes have been commuted for £184, and
the rectorial glebe here consists of an acre and a half.
There is a place of worship for Wesleyans; also a free
school, founded in 1725 by the Rev. Thomas Baynes,
who endowed it with lands now producing an income of
Redruth (St. Uny)
REDRUTH (St. Uny), a market-town and parish,
and the head of a union, in the hundred of Penwith,
W. division of Cornwall, 53 miles (S. W. by W.) from
Launceston, and 262¾ (W. S. W.) from London; containing 9305 inhabitants. This ancient town, at one time
called Uny, from the saint to whom its church is dedicated, appears to have existed previously to the division
of the kingdom into parishes; and to have been a central place for the celebration of the religious rites of the
Britons, from which circumstance it received the appellation of Dre Druth, or "the Druids' town," now modified into Redruth. The town is pleasantly situated on
the declivity of a hill, on the great road from Truro to
Penzance, and in the heart of a rich mining district; it
consists principally of one long street indifferently paved,
is lighted with gas, and supplied with water from a
spring near Trefula. A subscription reading-room is
supported. The prosperity of Redruth, and the rapid
increase of its population, have arisen from the opening
of some extensive tin and copper mines in the neighbourhood, the produce of which is said to realise nearly
one million sterling per annum: sales of copper-ore by
ticket take place on Thursday. A large brewery is carried on; and a vast quantity of candles is made, chiefly
for the use of the miners. A railroad has been constructed under the provisions of an act obtained in
1824, extending from the town to Point Quay in Restrongett creek, St. Feock, a distance of nine miles, for
facilitating the conveyance of the ore for exportation,
and of timber and coal for the supply of the mines. In
1846 an act was passed for a railway from the Cornwall
railway near Truro, by Redruth, to Penzance, with a
branch from Redruth to the Cornwall line a little north
of Penryn: this line from Truro to Penzance includes a
railway formed a few years ago between Redruth and
Hayle. The markets are on Tuesday and Friday, the
latter being the principal day; and the fairs, chiefly for
cattle, are on Easter-Tuesday, May 2nd, August 3rd,
and October 12th. The tolls and dues of the markets,
and of the May and August fairs, belong to the successor of the late Lord de Dunstanville, by whom a neat
market-house, with shambles and other buildings, was
erected. At the entrance of the market-place, a handsome stone tower supported on arches, with a clock
having four dial-plates, of which the east and west are
illuminated, has been built at the expense of the parishioners. The powers of the county debt-court of
Redruth, established in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Redruth.
The parish comprises 3930 acres, of which 1700 are
common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £20, and in the patronage of
Lady Basset: the tithes have been commuted for £480.
The church, situated near Cairn-Brea Hill, at the distance of half a mile from the town, was rebuilt in the
year 1770. A church in the later English style, was
erected in 1828, at an expense of £2367, by grant from
the Parliamentary Commissioners: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rector. A church
district named Treleigh was endowed in 1846 by the
Ecclesiastical Commission: the living is in the gift of
the Crown and the Bishop of Exeter, alternately. There
are places of worship for Baptists, the Society of Friends,
Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyans. The poor-law
union of Redruth comprises eight parishes or places, and
contains a population of 48,062. Numerous vestiges of
its ancient occupation by the Druids are found in the
immediate neighbourhood of the town, consisting of
circles, erect stones, basins, cromlechs, cairns, and other
relics; and on the eastern side of Cairn-Brea Hill are
the ruins of a castle, which appears to have been of very
great antiquity. The application of gas to domestic
purposes was first made here by Mr. Murdoch, by whom
it was soon afterwards introduced with success into the
Soho manufactory, near Birmingham.
REDWICK, a tything, in the parish of Henbury,
union of Thornbury, Lower division of the hundred of
Henbury, W. division of the county of Gloucester,
6 miles (S. W. by W.) from Thornbury; containing, with
the chapelry of Northwick, 256 inhabitants. A school
is supported by endowment,
Redwick (St. Thomas)
REDWICK (St. Thomas), a parish, in the union of
Newport, division of Christchurch, hundred of Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 8 miles (E. by S.) from
Newport; containing 300 inhabitants. The parish is
situated on the Bristol Channel, which bounds it on the
south; and contains about 2200 acres, consisting chiefly
of a sandy loam. The living is a vicarage, annexed to
that of Magor; the glebe comprises one acre. The
church is an ancient structure having a nave and chancel, with a central tower. There is a place of worship
REDWORTH, a township, in the parish of Heighington, union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham,
7 miles (N. N. W.) from Darlington; containing 351 inhabitants. Redworth House, surrounded by plantations,
is the seat of Robert Surtees, Esq., whose family have
for centuries been connected with the county, and who
is a relative of its historian. The tithes have been commuted for £35. 19., payable to the vicar, and £54. 10.
to the Bishop of Chester. Here are the remains of a
Danish fortification called Shackleton, surrounded with
Reed (St. Mary)
REED (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Royston, hundred of Odsey, county of Hertford, 1¾ mile
(W. by N.) from Barkway; containing 260 inhabitants.
The living is a rectory, with the vicarage of Barkway
consolidated in 1800, valued in the king's books at
£13. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Harcourt family;
net income, £512. The tithes were commuted for land
under an inclosure act, in 1801. The church has a
square embattled tower of flint.
Reedham (St. John the Baptist)
REEDHAM (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Acle; containing 614 inhabitants. The Danish king Lothbroc,
when driven by stress of weather upon the coast of East
Anglia, landed at this place, and was murdered by Bern,
huntsman to King Edmund, who then kept his court
here. The parish comprises 3282a. 1r. 9p., of which
1057 acres are arable, 2104 marsh and pasture, 37 common lately inclosed, 21 public road, and 43 water, exclusively of Wilton green, which contains 7½ acres.
There is a ferry over the navigable river Yare on the
south. The Norwich and Yarmouth railway passes
through the parish; and here branches off the Lowestoft railway, 11½ miles long. The living is a rectory,
with the vicarage of Freethorpe annexed, valued in the
king's books at £18; net income, £607; patron, J. F.
Leathes, Esq.: the glebe consists of about 96 acres, with
a commodious parsonage-house, considerably improved
by the Rev. F. Leathes. The church is chiefly in the
early English style, with an embattled tower. Here is
a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.
Reedly-Hallows.—See Booth, New Laund.
REEDLY-HALLOWS.—See Booth, New Laund.
REEDNESS, a township, in the parish of Whitgift, union of Goole, Lower division of the wapentake
of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 6 miles (S. E. by
S.) from Howden; containing 633 inhabitants. The
township is situated on the river Ouse, across which is
a ferry to Saltmarsh, belonging to the Bishop of Durham. It comprises by computation 2500 acres, of which
more than 400 are warp grounds, lately reclaimed from
the river. The tithes of the township, and of Swinefleet, were commuted for land in 1759. Here is a place
of worship for Primitive Methodists.
Reepham (St. Peter and St. Paul)
REEPHAM (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in
the wapentake of Lawress, parts of Lindsey, union
and county of Lincoln, 4¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Lincoln; containing 341 inhabitants. It comprises 1837
acres, of which 26 are common or waste land. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £6. 13. 4., and in the gift of the Mercers' Company,
London, the impropriators: the great tithes have been
commuted for £238. 13., and those of the vicar for
£119. 10.; there are 15½ acres of vicarial glebe.
Reepham (All Saints).—See Hackford.
REEPHAM (All Saints).—See Hackford.
Reepham (St. Mary)
REEPHAM (St. Mary), a market-town and parish,
in the union of Aylsham, hundred of Eynsford, E.
division of Norfolk, 12 miles (N. W. by N.) from Norwich, and 116 (N. E. by N.) from London; containing,
exclusively of certain portions of the town in the parishes
of Kerdiston, Hackford, and Whitwell, 389 inhabitants.
This place, anciently called Refham, gave name to a
family, one of whom was mayor of London in 1310.
The parish comprises, with Kerdiston, 2427a. 3r. 1p., of
which 1643 acres are arable, 727 pasture and meadow,
and 56 woodland. The town is situated principally in
the parish of Hackford, near the small river Eyne, and
is neat and well built; in the market-place are several
good houses. The chief trade is in malt, and there is
a large brewery, noted for its ale: the market, obtained
by charter of Edward I., is on Wednesday, and mostly
for corn and swine; and there is a fair for horses, cattle,
and toys, on June 29th. Petty-sessions are held every
alternate Monday. The living is a discharged rectory,
with that of Kerdiston united, valued in the king's books
at £18. 1. 0½., and in the patronage of Trinity College,
Cambridge: the tithes of Reepham and Kerdiston have
been commuted for £816, and there is a glebe of 62
acres, with a good house. The church is chiefly in the
decorated style, with a square tower on the south side.
It once contained a celebrated image of the Virgin, which
was much enriched by offerings. In the chancel, which
has lately been new roofed, is a handsome monument of
a Knight Templar, supposed to be of the Kerdiston
family; also several sepulchral brasses, one of which,
to the memory of W. de Kerdiston and his lady, is well
worthy of notice. There were formerly three churches
within a single inclosure, one for Reepham St. Mary
and two for the lordships of Whitwell and Hackford:
that belonging to Hackford was taken down in 1790,
with the exception of a part of the west gable; that of
Whitwell, now used for Hackford and Whitwell, is in
the later English style, with an embattled tower, and
was thoroughly repaired in 1834. The Baptists and
Wesleyans have places of worship. Richard Westall,
R.A., was a native of Reepham.
REETH, a market-town, in the parish of Grinton,
union of Richmond, wapentake of Gilling-West, N.
riding of York, 9¼ miles (W. by S.) from Richmond;
containing 1343 inhabitants. The town is situated on
elevated ground, at a short distance from the confluence
of the rivers Arkle and Swale, and commands a beautiful
view of the adjacent country; it is nearly quadrangular,
and is irregularly built. The township comprises 5659
acres, of which 2783 are common or waste land: leadmines are in extensive operation, upwards of 6000 tons
being annually produced. The market, granted by
charter in the 6th of William and Mary, is on Friday;
and fairs are held on the Friday before Good Friday, on
Old May-day, Old Midsummer-day, the festival of St.
Bartholomew, Old Martinmas-day, and St. Thomas' day.
There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. The Friends' school here was erected at the
expense of George and John Raw, and is endowed with
£66 per annum; there is also a school endowed in 1643
by Alderman Hutchinson, and at Fremington a national
school has been established. Opposite to Healaugh, in
the township, on Harker Hill, are the remains of an intrenchment 100 feet square, called Maiden's Castle; and
on the east side of the hill and in the dale are other
intrenchments, in one of which some pieces of armour
have been found. They are supposed to be Roman.