SCRAFTON, WEST, a township, in the parish of
Coverham, union of Leyburn, wapentake of HangWest, N. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. W.) from Middleham; containing 156 inhabitants. At this place
the abbot of Coverham held a carucate of land, and pasture for 24 head of cattle: Scrafton Grange, now a
farmhouse, was connected with the abbey. The township is situated on the east of the river Cover, and
comprises 3040 acres of land, chiefly uncultivated hills.
Coal and lead are found.
Scraptoft (All Saints)
SCRAPTOFT (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Billesdon, hundred of Gartree, S. division of the
county of Leicester, 4 miles (E.by N.) from Leicester;
containing 89 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £8. 10.; net income,
£161; patrons and impropriators, the family of Hartopp.
Here is a curious stone cross.
Scratby (All Saints)
SCRATBY (All Saints), a parish, in the East and
West Flegg incorporation, hundred of East Flegg,
county of Norfolk, 2½ miles (N. by W.) from Caistor;
containing 131 inhabitants. It comprises about 300
acres, and commands a fine sea prospect. An act for
inclosing the lands was passed in 1842. The living is a
discharged vicarage, united in 1548 to that of Ormsby
St. Margaret. The church has been long in ruins.
Scrayfield (St. Michael)
SCRAYFIELD (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Horncastle, hundred of Hill, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (E. by S.) from Horncastle; containing 33 inhabitants. This parish, which
comprises about 677 acres, appears, from the remains of
various earthworks, to have shared in the hostilities of
the parliamentary war. The living is a discharged rectory, united to that of Hameringham, and valued in the
king's books at £4. 10. 4½.: the tithes have been commuted for £135, and the glebe comprises 36 acres. The
church is in ruins.
Scrayingham (St. Peter)
SCRAYINGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, partly in
the union of Pocklington, and partly in that of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of York; containing, with the townships of Howsham and Leppington, 515 inhabitants, of whom 186 are in Scrayingham
township, 11 miles (N. E. by E.) from York. This parish was anciently called Skeringham. It is bounded on
the west by the navigable river Derwent, and comprises
about 4780 acres, of which two-thirds are arable, and
the remainder, with the exception of 300 acres of woodland, in meadow and pasture. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £21. 11. 10½.; net income, about £750; patron, the Crown. The tithes
were commuted for land, under an act of inclosure, in
1825. The interior of the church was repaired in 1801;
its register bears the date of 1648. There is a chapel of
ease at Leppington.
Scredington (St. Andrew)
SCREDINGTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn, parts
of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 4¼ miles (S. E. by S.)
from Sleaford; containing 364 inhabitants, and consisting of 2593 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln (the appropriators), valued in the king's books at
£6. 15. 4.; net income, £80. The tithes were commuted for land in 1796; the glebe comprises 150 acres.
The church is a plain edifice, in a state of partial dilapidation. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
An allotment of land now producing £20 per annum
was given to the poor at the time of the inclosure.
SCREENWOOD, a township, in the parish of Alnham, union of Rothbury, N. division of Coquetdale
ward and of Northumberland, 8 miles (N. W.) from
Rothbury; containing 40 inhabitants. It is situated
about a mile south from Alnham, and not far from the
river Aln, which has its source in the immediate vicinity. The township comprises about 1000 acres, of
which 800 are arable, and 200 pasture; the surface is
mountainous, and the soil various, resting upon whinstone. Here are the ruins of an old keep.
Scremby (St. Peter and St. Paul)
SCREMBY (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in
the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake
of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
3½ miles (E. N. E.) from Spilsby; containing, with the
hamlet of Grebby, 217 inhabitants. It comprises about
1300 acres. The substratum is principally chalk, which
is quarried for dressing the land, and also burnt into
lime. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £16. 10. 2½.; net income, £250; patron
and incumbent, the Rev. H. Brackenbury: the glebe
comprises 36 acres. The church is a neat modern
SCREMERSTON, an ecclesiastical district, in the
parochial chapelry of Ancroft, union of Berwickupon-Tweed, Islandshire, N. division of Northumberland, 2½ miles (S. S. E.) from Berwick; containing 692 inhabitants. In 1386, the village was destroyed by the Scots, previously to which time it had
been held of the bishops of Durham by the family of
Swinhowe. It subsequently belonged to the unfortunate Earl of Derwentwater, and is now the property of
Greenwich Hospital, whose tithes here have been commuted for £965. A large colliery is worked. The living is
endowed with £100 per annum, and is in the patronage
of the Dean and Chapter of Durham: there is a glebehouse. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, and consecrated 23rd August, 1843, is in the early English style,
with a tower and spire, and contains 350 sittings, of
which 280 are free. Together with a national schoolroom and a master's house, it occupies a site of two
acres given by the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, who also contributed the stone for the buildings
out of their quarries.
Screveton (St. Winifred)
SCREVETON (St. Winifred), a parish, in the
union, and N. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S.
division of the county of Nottingham, 8½ miles (S. W.
by S.) from Newark; containing 315 inhabitants. It
comprises about 1000 acres. The soil is chiefly clay,
alternated with sand; the surface is generally flat, but
rises in some parts to a considerable elevation, and the
lower grounds are watered by the Car Dyke. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £6. 19. 1.; net income, £252; patrons, the family of
Hildyard. The tithes were commuted for land in 1776.
The church contains an altar-tomb and effigy to the
memory of Gen. Whalley, the supposed executioner of
Charles I.; figures of his three wives and twenty-two
children are sculptured on the same monument. Dr.
Thoroton, the topographer, was born here.
Scrivelsby (St. Benedict)
SCRIVELSBY (St. Benedict), a parish, in the
union of Horncastle, S. division of the wapentake of
Gartree, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 2½
miles (S.) from Horncastle; containing 130 inhabitants.
The parish comprises by measurement 3110 acres. The
soil is chiefly a rich sandy loam, alternated with a strong
clay; the surface in some parts flat, and in others elevated, but not hilly. The living is a rectory, with that
of Dalderby united in the year 1731, valued in the king's
books at £12. 17. 6.; net income, £562; patron, Sir
Henry Dymoke, Bart. This gentleman's family hold
the manor by "the service of grand serjeantry, that,
whenever a king of England is to be crowned, the lord
for the time being, or, in case of sickness, some one for
him, shall come well armed for battle, on a good horse,
into the presence of the monarch, at his coronation, and
make proclamation that, if any will say that the king
has not a title to his kingdom and crown, he shall be
ready and prepared to defend the right of the king and
his kingdom, and the dignity of his crown, in his own
person, against him and any other whatsoever."
SCRIVEN, with Tentergate, a township, in the
parish of Knaresborough, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W. riding of York, 1 mile (N. by W.)
from Knaresborough; containing 1435 inhabitants. The
township comprises about 1598 acres, and includes the
villages of Scriven and Tentergate, which latter forms
part of the town of Knaresborough. Scriven Park is
the handsome residence of Sir Charles Slingsley, Bart.
The tithes have been commuted for £212. 1. 4., of which
£60. 1. 4. are payable to the vicar.
Scrooby (St. Wilfrid)
SCROOBY (St. Wilfrid), a parish, in the union
of East Retford, Hatfield division of the wapentake of
Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham,
1¾ mile (S.) from Bawtry; containing 297 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the river Idle, and comprises
an area of 1523a. 3r. 36p., of which the soil is light and
sandy: the commons were inclosed in 1775. The living
is a discharged vicarage, united to that of Sutton: the
church is a small ancient structure. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans. The parish contains some remains of a palace of the archbishops of York, who had
free warren here in the time of Edward II.; in the reign
of Henry VIII., the palace was the occasional residence
of Wolsey. The small remains are now converted into
a farmhouse. In the garden is a mulberry-tree, said to
have been planted by the cardinal.
Scropton (St. Paul)
SCROPTON (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of
Burton-upon-Trent, hundred of Appletree, S. division of the county of Derby, 11½ miles (W. S. W.) from
Derby; containing, with the township of Foston, 523
inhabitants. It comprises about 3280 acres; the surface is flat, and watered by the river Dove. An allotment of Needwood forest in Staffordshire, on which
houses have been erected, was awarded to Scropton
under an inclosure act. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £49; patron and impropriator, J. Broadhurst, Esq. The glebe comprises 15 acres. There is a
place of worship for Wesleyans.
Scruton (St. Radegund)
SCRUTON (St. Radegund), a parish, in the union
of Bedale, wapentake of Hang-East, N. riding of
York, 4¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from Bedale; containing
410 inhabitants. This parish extends from the river
Swale on the east, to the old Roman road, now called
Leeming-lane, on the west; and comprises about 1800
acres of land, chiefly the property of Henry Coore, Esq.,
who is lord of the manor. One-third of the area is
meadow and pasture, and the remainder arable; the
surface is flat, and the scenery destitute of interest, but
the soil is fertile, and the arable lands produce abundant crops. Scrutou Hall, the seat of Mr. Coore, is a
handsome spacious mansion, situated in a demesne embellished with plantations. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £14. 0. 5., and in the
patronage of Mr. Coore: the tithes have been commuted for £422. 6., and the glebe comprises 81 acres.
The church is an ancient structure in the Norman style,
with a tower. Thomas Gale, Dean of York, known for
his literary and antiquarian researches, was born here
Sculcoates (St. Mary)
SCULCOATES (St. Mary), a parish, and the head
of a union, in the borough of Hull, locally in the E.
riding of York; containing 16,682 inhabitants. Sculcoates is noticed in Domesday book as one of the
lordships granted to Ralph de Mortimer, a follower of
the Conqueror. Its population, less than a century
ago, did not exceed 100; but the southern part of the
parish, since the construction of a dock on the western
bank of the river Hull, in 1774, has been extensively
built upon, and now forms a large and populous part of
the environs of Hull. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 6. 8., and in the
patronage of the Crown; net income, £295. The parochial church, a small neat structure, was built in the
year 1760; and an act was obtained in 1814, for the
erection of an additional edifice called Christ-church,
which was consecrated in 1822, and is a handsome
building of white brick and Roche-abbey stone, erected
at a cost of upwards of £7000, partly defrayed by subscription: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Trustees; net income, £169. A church district
named St. Paul's was formed in July 1844 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners; it embraces a population of
about 6000. The church, of which the foundation stone
was laid in June 1846, is a handsome edifice in the early
English style, capable of accommodating 1200 persons,
and cost about £5000. The living is a perpetual curacy,
in the gift of the Crown and the Archbishop of York,
alternately; net income, £225. The Independents,
Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics have places of worship.
The union of Sculcoates comprises 18 parishes or places,
and contains a population of 36,207.
Sculthorpe (All Saints)
SCULTHORPE (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Walsingham, hundred of Gallow, W. division of
Norfolk, 2 miles (N. W.) from Fakenham; containing
591 inhabitants. It comprises 2055a. 2r. 34p., of which
1465 acres are arable, 505 meadow and pasture, and 84
woodland: the village is on the road from Fakenham to
Norwich. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £16, and in the gift of Sir J. T. Jones, Bart.:
the tithes have been commuted for £550, and the glebe
comprises 71 acres, with a house, nearly rebuilt by the
Rev. Edward Marsham, the incumbent. The church is
a handsome structure in the later English style, with a
square embattled tower. It was erected by Sir Robert
Knollys, K.G., who, from a common soldier, rose to
rank and eminence under Edward III., and acquired an
immense fortune; he died at the manor-house here, in
the 92nd year of bis age. There is a place of worship
SCUNTHORPE, a township, in the parish of Frodingham, union of Glandford-Brigg, E. division of
the wapentake of Manley, parts of Lindsey, county of
Lincoln, 8½ miles (W. N. W.) from the town of Glandford-Brigg; containing 289 inhabitants.