SHARDLOW, with Great Wilne, a township, and
the head of a union, in the parish of Ashton-uponTrent, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S.
division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (S. E. by E.)
from Derby; containing 1306 inhabitants, of whom
1043 are in the hamlet of Shardlow. The hamlet comprises 824a, 3r. 1p., whereof one-fourth is arable, and
the remainder meadow and pasture. The surface of the
township is level, and the scenery rather woody: the
soil is chiefly composed of a sandy loam, but there is a
variety of earths; the subsoil is mostly gravel, of a clayey
nature. The Trent and Mersey canal runs through the
village of Shardlow, and joins the river Trent about half
a mile below it. On its banks and branches are several
coal and timber wharfs, a large warehouse for iron, another
for cheese, corn, and salt, and other warehouses belonging to carrying establishments and malting concerns;
so that for many years this has been an improving place.
Cavendish bridge, over the Trent, about a quarter of a
mile south-east from the village, is a substantial stone
structure of five elliptical arches, built in 1771, at a cost
of £3333, with approaches 82 yards long and 6 yards
wide. The Sawley station of the Midland railway is
distant about three miles. A church, a handsome edifice
in the pointed style, consisting of a nave, chancel, and a
pinnacled tower, was erected in 1838: it is partly
pewed, and a part has open seats; at the west end is a
gallery, with an organ. The living, now a perpetual
curacy, will be a rectory on the death of the present
rector of Aston; patrons, the Sutton family. There are
places of worship for Baptists and the New Connexion of
Methodists; also a school conducted on the national
plan. The poor-law union comprises 46 parishes or
places, 33 of which are in the county of Derby, 7 in the
county of Leicester, and 6 in that of Nottingham; the
population of the whole amounting to 32,640.
Shareshill (The Virgin Mary)
SHARESHILL (The Virgin Mary), a parish, in the
union of Penkridge, E. division of the hundred of
Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford,
5¾ miles (N. N. E.) from Wolverhampton; containing,
with the township of Great and Little Saredon, 594 inhabitants, of whom 305 are in Shareshill township.
The parish comprises about 2817 acres, of which 887a.
2r. 3p. are in Shareshill; the surface is hilly, the soil
gravelly, suitable for turnips and barley, and the scenery
rather picturesque. The Staffordshire and Worcestershire canal crosses the north-western angle of the parish,
and the Four-Ashes station of the Liverpool and Birmingham railway is about two miles and a half distant
in the same direction. The living is a perpetual curacy,
in the patronage of Lord Hatherton (the impropriator),
with a net income of £114: the tithes have been commuted for £470. 18. The church, with the exception of
the tower, is of modern erection, and contains several
curious antique monuments, preserved on the demolition
of the former edifice; it was beautified in 1842. On
the north and south sides of the village are vestiges of
encampments, probably Roman.
SHARLSTON, a township, in the parish of Warmfield, union of Wakefield, Lower division of the
wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 4¼ miles
(E. by S.) from Wakefield; containing 221 inhabitants.
The township comprises 1120 acres, of which 70 are
common or waste. Sharlston Hall is occupied by the
agent of the Earl of Westmorland: a room attached to
it has been licensed for divine service. The village,
which is small, is pleasantly situated on the margin of a
large and fertile common, and the surrounding scenery
is agreeably diversified. Coal was formerly worked extensively, but the mines are nearly exhausted. The
Countess of Westmorland, a native of this place, in 1729
bequeathed £20 per annum, for putting out children as
apprentices, or for the relief of widows.
Sharnbrook (St. Peter)
SHARNBROOK (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred of Willey, union and county of Bedford, 4 miles
(N. E.) from Harrold ; containing 848 inhabitants. This
parish is situated on the river Ouse, and intersected by
the road from Bedford to Kettering. It comprises 2360a.
32p., whereof 1082 are old inclosures, 1220 in new allotments, and 38 occupied by roads; of the whole, about
1300 acres are arable, 758 pasture, and 146 wood. The
surface is diversified with hill, wood, and water; and the
soil is of various kinds, clay, gravel, and peat, meadow
land, and limestone-rock. The manufacture of bonelace is as old here as the close of the 16th century. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £8, and in the patronage of the Lord Chancellor;
impropriator, John Gibbard, Esq., whose tithes have
been commuted for 239 acres of land. The vicarial
tithes have been commuted for 112a. 1r. 15p., and there
is a vicarage-house. The church was given by William
Triguet, in the time of the Conqueror, to the Earl of
Mellent, for the support of his abbey of Maria di Prata
at Leicester; the present edifice is in the style of the
14th and 15 th centuries, and has a lofty spire. Here
are places of worship for Old and Calvinistic Baptists;
and a school supported by subscription. A circular
mound and moat called Castle Close, indicate the site
of a castle, probably of the time of Stephen; but there
are no remains of the structure. In a field called Temples are the foundations of buildings supposed to have
belonged to the preceptory of Knights Templars at
Melchbourne, five miles distant.
Sharnford (St. Helen)
SHARNFORD (St. Helen), a parish, in the union
of Hinckley, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S. division of
the county of Leicester, 4¼ miles (E. S. E.) from
Hinckley ; containing 624 inhabitants. It is situated on
the river Soar, and comprises 1400 acres. The soil is
chiefly sand and gravel; the surface rises gradually, and
the scenery is pleasing. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £9. 18. 9., and in the gift of the
Crown, with a net income of £329: the tithes were
commuted for land in 1764; the glebe altogether comprises 234 acres. The church is ancient.
SHARPENHOE, a hamlet, in the parish of Streatley, union of Luton, hundred of Flitt, county of
Bedford, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from Silsoe; containing
172 inhabitants. A school is endowed with a rentcharge of £10. Thomas Norton, a dramatic writer, was
born here in the early part of the sixteenth century.
SHARPERTON, a township, in the parish of Allenton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale
ward, N. division of Northumberland, 6½ miles (W.
by N.) from Rothbury; containing 89 inhabitants. It
stands on the east of the river Coquet, on the road to
Harbottle; and contains some fertile soil. The Charity
Hall estate here belongs to the poor of Rothbury, being
the bequest in 1719 of the Rev. J. Thomlinson.
SHARPLES, a township, in the parish and union of
Bolton, hundred of Salford, S. division of Lancashire, 2¾ miles (N.) from Bolton; containing 2880
inhabitants. It was a member of the ancient barony of
Manchester, and was possessed by Roger de Mareshay
or Maresey, who conveyed it to Randulph de Blundeville, Earl of Chester. Subsequently, the place gave
name to a local family, who occupied the Hall, now a
plain edifice consisting of a centre and two gables.
Sharpies is not a manor, but the lord of Sharpies, by an
ancient tenure, can claim from the estate of Smithills,
in the vicinity, a pair of gilt spurs annually. The township adjoins Little Bolton, and includes the ecclesiastical
district of Belmont, and part of the ecclesiastical districts of Rivington and Astley-Bridge. It rises gradually for five miles, on the old Preston road, to the
mountainous country of Belmont; and comprises 3920
acres of land, mostly pasture, with wild and extensive
moorland abounding in grouse at Hill Top. The population is chiefly employed in cotton-mills and bleachworks. In excavating through the peat earth here, oaktrees have been dug up at the depth of fifteen feet, perfectly sound, and as black as ebony.
Sharrington (All Saints)
SHARRINGTON (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Walsingham, hundred of Holt, W. division
of Norfolk, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Holt; containing
229 inhabitants. It comprises 864a. lr. 38p., of which
820 acres are arable, and about 40 meadow and pasture.
The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of
Saxlingham, and valued in the king's books at £10: the
tithes have been commuted for £299. 16., and the glebe
comprises about an acre. The church is in the early
and later English styles, with a tower.
SHARROW, a township, in the parish and liberty
of Ripon, W. riding of York, 1½ mile (E. by N.) from
Ripon; containing 185 inhabitants. The township comprises about 670 acres of fertile land, and the scenery is
of pleasing character. Sharrow Lodge is a handsome
mansion, commanding a fine view over the vale of Ure,
A district church dedicated to St. John was erected in
1825, for this township, Hutton-Conyers, Hewick-Copt,
Hewick-Bridge, and Nunwick, on a site presented by
the late Mrs. Lawrence: the expense was £5000, of
which £2000 were given by that lady, and the remainder
raised by subscription, aided by a grant. The structure
is in the later English style, with a square embattled
tower, and contains 550 sittings, of which 280 are free.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the
representative of Mrs. Lawrence; net income, £100;
appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Ripon. A schoolroom, also, was built by Mrs. Lawrence.
Shatton, with Brough.—See Brough.
SHATTON, with Brough.—See Brough.
SHAUGH, a parish, in the union of Plympton St.
Mary, hundred of Plympton, Ermington and Plympton, and S. divisions of Devon, 6 miles (N.) from Earl'sPlympton; containing 698 inhabitants. The parish is
situated in a district abounding with romantic scenery,
and comprises 8773 acres, of which 6367 are common
or waste land. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to that of Samford-Spiney.
SHAVINGTON, with Gresty, a township, in the
parish of Wybunbury, union and hundred of Nantavich, S. division of the county of Chester, 4¼ miles
(E.) from Nantwich; containing 441 inhabitants. It
comprises 1115a. lr. 2p., the soil of which is partly clay
and partly sand. Here stood the manorial seat of the
Wodenothes (of whom was John Wodenothe, the antiquary, born in 1624), a mansion highly curious from its
age, and the abundance of stained glass and other relics
it contained. After remaining in the possession of that
family for more than 500 years, the estate was sold in
1661; the house was taken down, and a modern mansion built upon the site, in which some of the ancient
glass is preserved. The impropriate tithes have been
commuted for £106. 10., and the vicarial for £18.
Shaw, county of Lancaster.—See Crompton.
SHAW, county of Lancaster.—See Crompton.
Shaw cum Donnington (St. Mary)
SHAW cum Donnington (St. Mary), a parish, in
the union of Newbury, hundred of Faircross, county
of Berks, 1¼ mile (N. E.) from Newbury; containing
642 inhabitants. The ancient manor-house was usually
the resting-place of Charles I., when on his route to the
west of England; and in 1644, an attempt was made
here by a soldier of Cromwell's army to assassinate
that monarch, which event is recorded by a brass plate
fixed on the spot where the ball entered: a bed on which
Queen Anne reposed is also preserved. In the second
battle of Newbury the mansion was garrisoned for the
king, and attacked by a large body of the enemy, who
were repulsed with great loss. The parish comprises
1989a. 2r. 26p., chiefly arable land, and including about
100 acres of common or waste; the soil is clay, alternated with gravel and sand. The surface is generally
level, and the river Lambourne flows through. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £12.
11. 8., and in the gift of the Rev. Thomas Penrose, D.D.:
certain impropriate tithes have been commuted for
£13. 7., and the incumbent's for £623; the glebe comprises 28 acres. The church has been rebuilt upon a
larger scale, by subscription; it is a neat structure in
the Norman style. A school is supported; and there
are almshouses for twelve persons, founded about 1618
by Sir Richard Abberbury, Knt.—See Donnington.
Shawbury (St. Mary)
SHAWBURY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Wem, partly in the liberties of Shrewsbury, partly in
the hundred of Pimhill, and partly in the Whitchurch
division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop; containing 1079 inhabitants, of whom
279 are in the township, 7¼ miles (N. E.) from Shrewsbury. The parish comprises by measurement 7221
acres. The substrata of this and the adjoining districts
contain freestone of excellent quality, and the quarries
have afforded materials for most of the public buildings
of the town of Shrewsbury, and for many gentlemen's
seats in the neighbourhood. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 5½., and
in the gift of Sir Andrew Vincent Corbet, Bart., who,
with Lord Hill and W. Charlton, Esq., is impropriator:
the great tithes have been commuted for £436. 8., and
the vicarial for £394. 12.; the glebe comprises 37 acres.
The church is an ancient structure, chiefly in the Norman style, of which it contains numerous elegant details, with a handsome embattled tower in the later
English style. There is a fund of £46 per annum, the
rent of land devised by Elizabeth Corbet in 1702, and
Robert Payne in 1738, for apprenticing children, and for
SHAWDON, a township, in the parish of Whittingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 7½ miles (W.)
from Alnwick; containing 94 inhabitants. The township is intersected by the road from Morpeth to Wooler,
and comprises about 1200 acres of land, mostly arable,
the property of William Pawson, Esq., whose mansion
here is surrounded with excellent wood. There is a
stone quarry. The vicarial tithes have been commuted
for £53. 2. 9.; and the appropriate for £1. 8., payable
to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. Two ancient urns
of common earthenware were found in the neighbourhood
some years since.
Shawell (All Saints)
SHAWELL (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division
of the county of Leicester, 3 miles (S.) from Lutterworth; containing 203 inhabitants. It comprises 1407a.
2r. 15p.: the soil is partly clay, and partly a rich loam,
and the surface generally level. The village, which is
scattered, lies east of the Roman Watling-street. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9, and
in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been
commuted for £345, and the glebe comprises 74 acres,
with a good glebe-house. The church is in the pointed
style, with a tower containing five bells. A free grammar school was established by John Elkington, which
has an endowment of £20 per annum, with a house and
garden, and a field of four acres, for the master; and
the founder also erected an almshouse for six men, who
have a weekly allowance, and some perquisites. A
dame's school endowed by the Rev. Edward Sherier, a
former rector, with 50s. per annum, is further supported
by the incumbent. Twelve acres of land, producing £21
per annum, were allotted to the poor on the inclosure of
the parish. In a field nearly adjoining the church,
numerous skeletons have been dug up, supposed to be
the remains of those who were slain in the several skirmishes which took place here during the parliamentary