Stean (St. Peter)
STEAN (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of
the county of Northampton, 2 miles (N. W.) from
Brackley; containing 26 inhabitants. The parish is
situated on the road from Brackley to Banbury, and
comprises 1128a. 34p.: it is the property of Earl Spencer. The living is a discharged rectory, united to that
of Hinton-in-the-Hedges, and valued in the king's books
at £5. 9. 7. The church, erected in 1620 by Sir Thomas
Crewe, was the chapel belonging to the mansion of Lord
Crewe, Bishop of Durham, and contains many fine monuments to the memory of the family. The park and
part of the house still remain.
STEANBRIDGE, a tything, in the parish and union
of Stroud, hundred of Bisley, E. division of the county
of Gloucester; containing 1395 inhabitants.
STEARSBY, a hamlet, in the parish of Bransby,
union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N.
riding of York, 7½ miles (E. N. E.) from Easingwould;
containing 106 inhabitants. Its small village is situated
about a mile to the east of Bransby.
Stebbing (St. Mary)
STEBBING (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Dunmow, hundred of Hinckford, N. division of Essex,
3¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Dunmow; containing 1458
inhabitants. The parish is about nine or ten miles in
circumference; the surface is elevated, and the soil for
the greater part dry and fertile. The lands are intersected by a stream that turns several mills. There are
two artificial mounts, one of which is said to have been
formerly the site of a castle. A fair for cattle and fat
calves is held on the 10th of July. The living is a
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12: the great
tithes, which belong, with the patronage, to Mrs. Batt,
have been commuted for £820, and the vicarial tithes
for £350; the impropriate and vicarial glebes contain
respectively 124¾ and 2 acres. The church is a spacious and lofty structure, situated on an eminence. Here
is a place of worship for Independents.
Stedham (St. James)
STEDHAM (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Midhurst, hundred of Easebourne, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from
Midhurst; containing 557 inhabitants. It is intersected by the river Rother, and under the Reform act is
partly within the borough of Midhurst. The living is a
rectory, with that of Heyshot united, valued in the king's
books at £17. 18. 6½.; net income, £386; patron, the
Rev. L. V. Harcourt. The church consists of a nave
and chancel, with a tower rising from the centre: in the
churchyard is a fine old yew-tree.
STEEL, a hamlet, in the township and parish of
Prees, union of Wem, Whitchurch division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop, 3 miles
(S.) from Whitchurch; containing 65 inhabitants.
STEEP, a parish, partly in the union of Petersfield,
hundred of East Meon, Petersfield and N. divisions of
the county of Southampton, and partly in the union of
Midhurst, hundred of Easebourne, rape of Chichester, W. division of Sussex; containing, with the tythings of North and South Ambersham, 885 inhabitants,
of whom 563 are in Steep tything, if mile (N.) from
Petersfield. The parish comprises 2642 acres, of which
211 are common or waste. The living is annexed, with
that of Froxfield, to the vicarage of East Meon; the
impropriate tithes have been commuted for £300, and
the vicarial for £230.
STEEP-HOLMES ISLAND, in the parish of Uphill, union of Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke,
E. division of Somerset, 2 leagues (W. by N.) from
Uphill. The island is a vast rock, about a mile and a
half in circumference, rising perpeudicularly out of the
Bristol Channel to the height of 400 feet above the level
of the sea, and inaccessible at all points except two. A
few rabbits burrow here, and great numbers of sea-fowl
build their nests in the recesses of the overhanging cliffs.
It is supposed that the island had anciently a priory,
founded about the reign of Edward II., by Maurice, Lord
Steeping, Great (All Saints)
STEEPING, GREAT (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake of
Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
3 miles (E. S. E.) from Spilsby; containing, with the
hamlet of Monksthorpe, 285 inhabitants. The parish
is bounded on the south by the river Steeping, and comprises, according to computation, 1300 acres; the surface
is flat, and the soil clay. The living is a discharged
vicarage, united to the rectory of Firsby, and valued in
the king's books at £7. 18. 4.: the impropriate tithes
have been commuted for £160; and the vicarial for
£ 129, with a glebe of 4 acres. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. The remains of an old mansion
here, surrounded by a moat, are occupied as a farmhouse; and a moated inclosure in the neighbourhood is
said to have been the site of a monastery.
Steeping, Little (St. Andrew)
STEEPING, LITTLE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Spilsby, E. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3¾ miles
(S. E. by E.) from Spilsby; containing 289 inhabitants,
and comprising 1036a. 3r. 30p. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 19. 4.;
net income, £181; patron, Lord Willoughby de Eresby.
The tithes were commuted for land about the beginning
of the present century, at the time of the inclosure of the
East fen, on the border of which the parish is situated;
the glebe altogether contains 92 acres. The nave and
chancel of the church were rebuilt from the old materials
in 1639. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans;
and a school is supported by an allowance of £10 per
annum out of some charity lands in the parish, and a
contribution of £15 from the rector.
Steeple (St. Michael)
STEEPLE (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of
Wareham and Purbeck, hundred of Hasilor, Wareham division of Dorset, 6 miles (S. by W.) from Wareham; containing, with the hamlet of West Creech, 272
inhabitants. It comprises 3082 acres, of which 830 are
common or waste; the south side lies on a bed of fine
limestone, which is quarried for buildings, and for burning into lime. The living is a rectory, with that of
Tyneham united by act of parliament in the 8th of
George I., and is valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 5.;
net income, £382; patron, John Bond, Esq.: the glebe
contains about 5 acres. The church has a plain lofty
tower. There is a private episcopal chapel at Grange,
in the parish; and schools are partly supported by the
minister. West Creech belonged to the abbey of Bindon, and had the privilege of a market and fair granted
by Henry III.
Steeple (St. Lawrence and All Saints)
STEEPLE (St. Lawrence and All Saints), a parish, in the union of Maldon, hundred of Dengte, S.
division of Essex, 10 miles (E. S. E.) from Maldon;
containing 584 inhabitants. This parish comprises
2748a. lr. 9p., and includes the island of Ramsey. It
is bounded on the north by the river Blackwater, on
which is a quay, the property of St. Bartholomew's
Hospital, where barges of 70 tons deliver cargoes of
chalk, and take in corn. Fairs are held on the Wednesday in Whitsun-week, and the Wednesday after Michaelmas-day. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £15. 18.; net income, £195; patrons, alternately, Sir Brook W. Bridges, Bart., and the
Hunt family; impropriators, the Hunt family. The
church is an ancient edifice. At Stanesgate, in the parish, a priory of Cluniac monks, subordinate to that of
Lewes, existed before 1176; it was dedicated to St.
Mary Magdalene, and at the Dissolution had a revenue
of £38. 18. 3.: the few remains now form part of the
walls of a barn.
Steeple-Ashton, county of Wilts.—See Ash-ton, Steeple.
STEEPLE-ASHTON, county of Wilts.—See Ashton, Steeple.—And all places having a similar distinguishing prefix will be found under the proper name.
STEEPLE-COURT, a manor, in the parish of Droxford, hundred of Bishop's-Waltham, Droxford and
N. divisions of the county of Southampton; containing
Steepleton-Iwerne, or Preston (St. Mary)
STEEPLETON-IWERNE, or Preston (St. Mary),
a parish, in the union of Blandford, hundred of Pimperne, Blandford division of Dorset, 4¼ miles (N. N. W.)
from Blandford; containing 34 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from an ancient proprietor
named Steepleton, comprises 701 acres, of which 198
are common or waste land. Steepleton House and
estate were the property of the late Peter Beckford, Esq.,
author of Letters from Italy, &c., and have descended to
his grandson, Lord Rivers. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 4., and in
the gift of his lordship: the tithes have been commuted
for a rent-charge of £95.
STEETON, a township, in the parish of BoltonPercy, division of Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of
York, 3½ miles (E. by N.) from Tadcaster; containing
93 inhabitants. Steeton Hall, one of the mansions of
the Fairfax family, is now a farmhouse, and the remains
of its adjoining chapel are used as a granary.
STEETON, with Eastburn, a township, in the parish of Kildwick, union of Keighley, E. division of
the wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding
of York, 2¾ miles (N. W.) from Keighley; containing
963 inhabitants. Steeton is situated in a valley enriched
with wood and water, on the road from Keighley to
Skipton. The township comprises by computation 2160
acres, and is bounded on the north by the river Aire,
which is well stocked with trout, and runs through a
tract of fine meadow land. The moor was inclosed in
1787. Stone is quarried for building; and there are a
worsted and a corn mill. The Wesleyans have a place
of worship. In the township is a mineral spring, used
for scrofulous complaints.