Sutcombe (St. Andrew)
SUTCOMBE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Holsworthy, hundred of Black Torrington, Holsworthy and N. divisions of Devon, 5 miles (N. by E.)
from Holsworthy; containing 523 inhabitants. It
comprises about 3000 acres, the greater portion of which
is arable, 50 acres in wood, and the remainder meadow
and pasture; the soil is chiefly clay, and the lands in
many parts swampy. A branch of the Launceston canal
passes through the parish. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £17. 10. 7½., and in the
patronage of the Rev. W. Cohern: the tithes have been
commuted for £300, and there are 51 acres of glebe.
The church has a Norman doorway, but is mostly of
later date; and contains some neat monuments to the
family of Davie. An almshouse for six persons was
founded and endowed by Sir William Morris, secretary
of state to Charles II.
Sutterby (St. John the Baptist)
SUTTERBY (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in
the union of Spilsby, Wold division of the wapentake
of Candleshoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
4 miles (N. by W.) from Spilsby; containing 44 inhabitants. It comprises 465 acres; the soil is chalky, the
surface hilly, and there are some quarries of limestone,
which is worked for burning into lime. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 10. 2½., and
in the patronage of the Crown: the tithes have been
commuted for £120, and the glebe comprises about 15
acres. The church is an ancient structure.
Sutterton (St. Mary)
SUTTERTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Boston, wapentake of Kirton, parts of Holland,
county of Lincoln, 6 miles (S. W. by S.) from Boston;
containing 1303 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £23. 3. 4., and in the
patronage of the Crown; net income, £885. The tithes
were commuted for land in 1772; the glebe comprises
nearly 500 acres. The church is principally in the later
English style, with a tower surmounted by a spire, and
is extremly interesting from its elegant details in the
various styles of architecture, from the early Norman
to the later English. There is a place of worship for
Baptists. The poor's estate, arising from bequests,
amounts to £162 per annum.
Sutton (All Saints)
SUTTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Biggleswade, county of Bedford, 1¾ mile
(S.) from Potton; containing 415 inhabitants. It comprises upwards of 2000 acres; the soil is sandy, and the
surface varied. The parish was the seat and royalty of
the celebrated John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, who
conferred Sutton and Potton upon Sir Roger Burgoyne
and his heirs, by a curious laconic deed in doggerel verse,
which is preserved among the ancient records in the
Arches, Doctors' Commons. The manor-house was
burnt down in 1826. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £20, and in the patronage of St.
John's College, Oxford, with a net income of £362: the
tithes have been commuted for £10, and there are 32 acres
of glebe, with a house, near which is a fine chalybeate
spring. The learned Bishop Stillingfleet was rector of
Sutton, and here wrote his Origines Sacræ.
Sutton (St. Andrew)
SUTTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred
of South Witchford, union and Isle of Ely, county
of Cambridge, 6 miles (W. by S.) from Ely; containing 1599 inhabitants. The parish comprises by computation 6329 acres, of which 2000 are arable, 3296
meadow and pasture, and 1033 common and waste now
inclosed. It had anciently a market and a fair, granted
to the first abbot of Ely. The living is a vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £10; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The great
tithes have been commuted for £450, and the vicarial
for £1175; the appropriate glebe comprises 72 acres,
and the vicarial 45. The church, built by Barnet, Bishop
of Ely, who died in 1373, is a beautiful specimen of the
decorated English style. There are places of worship
for Baptists and Wesleyans; also a school endowed
with £15 per annum. In 1634, some labourers discovered several ancient coins and gold rings, and three
silver plates, one of which bore a curious inscription.
SUTTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the
county of Chester, 2 miles (N. E. by E.) from Frodsham; containing 275 inhabitants. It comprises 1147
acres; the prevailing soil is clay.
SUTTON, a township, in the union and parochial
chapelry of Macclesfield, parish of Prestbury, N.
division of the county of Chester; adjoining the
town of Macclesfield, and containing, in 1841, 7035 inhabitants. The township comprises 4533 acres, chiefly
consisting of pasture land, there being very little wood
or arable; the surface is hill and dale, with a few plantations of Scotch larch and fir. Some stone-quarries
are worked. Here are several silk and cotton manufactories, some tape and small ware, and trimming
factories, and some dye-works; the first manufactory
was established about sixty years ago, and the whole
of the works are supposed to employ from ten to eleven
thousand hands. The mass of the buildings in the
township are within the borough, and adjoin the town,
of Macclesfield; the other buildings are dispersed, and
consist chiefly of farmhouses and residences, some of
the manufactories and dye-works being also in the
rural portion. The Macclesfield and Leek road and the
Macclesfield canal intersect the township. A district
church dedicated to St. George was consecrated in 1834:
the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of
Trustees; net income, £225. There is also a chapel
dedicated to St. James, in the gift of Trustees; and the
Wesleyans have two places of worship. The family of
Holinshed, the historian, had a seat in the township,
which is supposed to have been his birthplace. The
union workhouse is situated here.
SUTTON, a township, in the parish of Middlewich, union and hundred of Northwich, S. division of
the county of Chester, 1¼ mile (S.) from Middlewich;
containing 38 inhabitants, and comprising 191 acres of
land, the soil of which is partly clay and partly sand.
Sutton (St. Mary)
SUTTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, N. division of the
county of Derby, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Chesterfield;
containing, with the merged parish of Duckmanton, 628
inhabitants. Nicholas Deincourt, Earl of Scarsdale, in
1643 fortified a Hall which he had previously erected
here, but it was taken by assault, and the works demolished, by Sir John Gell, and some time afterwards, it
was plundered by the parliamentarian garrison of Bolsover: the mansion is situated in an extensive and beautiful park. The parish comprises 4303 acres, of a strong
soil, and of hilly surface, the substratum abounding in
ironstone and coal, both of which are wrought. At
Duckmanton is a small foundry called the Adelphi Ironworks. The living is a discharged rectory, with the
vicarage of Duckmanton annexed, valued in the king's
books at £12. 16. 0½., and in the gift of the family of
Arkwright, the impropriators of Duckmanton: the
incumbent's tithes have been commuted for £300; there
is a glebe-house, and the glebe comprises 58 acres. The
church was erected about the end of the 13th century:
the windows exhibit some remains of ancient stained
glass. Duckmanton church, now demolished, was dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. Eighteen children of
the parish are instructed for about £20 per annum,
arising from land.
SUTTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Gussage St.
Michael, poor-law union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of Badbury, county of Dorset; containing 82 inhabitants.
SUTTON, a parish, in the union and hundred of
Rochford, S. division of Essex, 1 mile (S. E. by S.)
from Rochford; containing 120 inhabitants. The parish
derives its name, originally South-town, from its position
with respect to Rochford. It comprises about 511 acres
of arable land, and 124 of pasture, besides which there
is a considerable portion called saltings. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11, and in the
gift of J. Aitkin, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted
for £270, and the glebe comprises 10 acres. The church
is a small ancient edifice with a stone tower.
Sutton (St. Michael)
SUTTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred of
Broxash, union and county of Hereford, 4¼ miles
(N. N. E.) from the city of Hereford; containing 102
inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income £64; patrons and impropriators, the Rev. T.
Allen and H. Unett, Esq.
Sutton (St. Nicholas)
SUTTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the hundred
of Broxash, union and county of Hereford, 4¼ miles
(N. E. by N.) from Hereford; containing 269 inhabitants, and comprising, with the parish of Sutton St.
Michael, 1398 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in
the king's books at £6. 1. 8.; net income, £195; patron,
J. Johnstone, Esq. A school is endowed with £6. 13.
per annum, and a house and garden.
SUTTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Prescot, hundred of West Derby, S. division of
Lancashire; containing 4095 inhabitants. In the
reign of Henry IV., this place was held by Alan de
Norrys or Norres under the baron of Halton. In 1736,
Mary, the heiress of her father, Thomas Norres, and of
her uncle, Edward Norres, married Lord Sidney
Beauclerk, by whose grandson the estate was sold. The
Greens, Eltonheads, and Ecclestons held lands here;
and the Hall, which existed prior to 1567, was at one
time occupied by a branch of the Hollands. The township, which includes a large part of the town of St.
Helen's, comprises 3616a. 1r. 29p., and abounds with
coal, ironstone, and coarse potters'-clay: 64 acres are
common or waste land. A church was built in 1848, of
which the living is a rectory, in the patronage of King's
College, Cambridge; net income, £450, with a house.
The vicarial tithes of the township have been commuted
for £196; and the impropriate for £350, payable to
King's College.—See Helen's, St.
SUTTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Beckingham,
poor-law union of Newark, wapentake of Loveden,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln; containing
SUTTON, a township, in the parish of Wymondham, incorporation and hundred of Forehoe, E. division of the county of Norfolk, 1½ mile (S. W. by S.)
from Wymondham; containing 669 inhabitants.
Sutton (St. Michael)
SUTTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the Tunstead
and Happing incorporation, hundred of Happing, E.
division of Norfolk, 1 mile (S. E. by E.) from Stalham;
containing 365 inhabitants. It comprises about 1500
acres, two-thirds of which are arable, and the rest marsh
and water; the river Ant runs on the western boundary,
and there is a broad in the parish, with a staith. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £6. 16. 8., and in the gift of the Earl of Abergavenny:
the tithes have been commuted for £264. A glebehouse was erected in 1842. At the inclosure in 1800,
about 60 acres were allotted to the poor.
SUTTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Castor, union
and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county
of Northampton, 1¼ mile (E. by S.) from Wansford;
containing 121 inhabitants. It comprises 1400 acres,
of which the surface is flat, and the soil a cold clay;
the land is nearly equally divided between pasture and
arable, and the river Nene runs through the chapelry.
Here is a fine quarry of stone resembling that found at
Ketton. The chapel is dedicated to St. Michael.
SUTTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Granby, union,
and N. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 14 miles (E. by S.)
from Nottingham; containing 126 inhabitants.
Sutton (St. Bartholomew)
SUTTON (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the union
of East Retford, Hatfield division of the wapentake of
Bassetlaw, N. division of the county of Nottingham,
3 miles (N. N. W.) from East Retford; containing, with
the township of Lound, 890 inhabitants, of whom 452
are in Sutton township. The parish comprises by admeasurement 4429 acres, of which 2008 are in the
township of Sutton; the soil is a black sandy earth,
producing fine crops of wheat and turnips, and very
early peas and potatoes. The river Idle runs through
the lands. Here is an ancient mansion of singular appearance, said to have been formerly much larger than
at present, and the country residence of some of the
ancestors of Earl Fitzwilliam. The living is a discharged
vicarage, with that of Scrooby annexed, valued in the
king's books at £10; net income, £185; patron and
impropriator, the Duke of Portland. The vicarial tithes
were commuted for land in 1777; the glebe contains
about 110 acres. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans; also a school, erected in 1783,
and endowed with about £28 a year. A mound, called
Danes' Hill, now planted with trees, is supposed to have
been an encampment.
SUTTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Stanton-Harcourt, union of Witney, hundred of Wootton, county
of Oxford; containing 259 inhabitants.
SUTTON, a township, in the parish of Diddlebury, union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S. division of the county of Salop, 6 miles (N.) from Ludlow;
containing 64 inhabitants. It is situated on the river
Corve, which flows southward to Ludlow.
SUTTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Drayton-in-Hales, Drayton division of the hundred
of North Bradford, N. division of the county of Salop;
containing 177 inhabitants.
Sutton (St. John)
SUTTON (St. John), a parish, in the union of
Atcham, liberties of the borough of Shrewsbury, N.
division of Salop, 2¼ miles (S. S. E.) from Shrewsbury;
containing 69 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £3; net income,
£17; patron and impropriator, Lord Berwick. Sutton
Spa, a fine mineral spring issuing from a stratum of
ash-coloured clay, close to the village, is nearly similar
in its properties to sea-water.
Sutton (All Saints)
SUTTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Woodbridge, hundred of Wilford, E. division of
Suffolk, 3 miles (S. E. by E.) from Woodbridge; containing 707 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement
7000 acres, and is bounded on the west by the navigable
river Deben, where is a ferry to Woodford. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£8. 2. 1., and in the gift of the Rev. Henry Thomas Day,
LL.D.: the vicarage-house and offices, which were of a
superior description, were some time since destroyed by
fire. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
Sutton (St. Nicholas)
SUTTON (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the union of
Epsom, Second division of the hundred of Wallington, E. division of Surrey, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from
Epsom; containing 1304 inhabitants. It comprises
1768 acres of land, chiefly arable; and includes some
extensive downs, on which between 200 and 300 sheep,
remarkable for their small size and superior flavour, are
annually reared. The soil in the northern part is clay;
in the south, chalk; with an intervening narrow tract
of sand. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £16. 18. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev.
Thomas Hatch; the tithes have been commuted for
£520, and there are 33 acres of glebe. The church is
partly in the decorated English style; it had formerly
a wooden tower, now replaced by one of brick, and contains among other handsome monuments, chiefly of the
Talbots, one to the memory of Lady Dorothy Brownlow.
In Domesday book two churches are mentioned as existing here. There is a meeting-house for Independents;
and a national school is supported by subscription. The
parish contains a large chalk-pit, in which many curious
fossils have been found.
Sutton (St. John)
SUTTON (St. John), a parish, in the hundred of
Rotherbridge, rape of Arundel, W. division of
Sussex, 5 miles (S.) from Petworth; containing 420
inhabitants. It comprises 2601 acres, of which 250 are
common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £15. 0. 10., and in the patronage
of Colonel Wyndham: the tithes have been commuted
for £340, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church
is partly in the early English style.
SUTTON, a hamlet, in the parish and union of
Tenbury, Upper division of the hundred of Doddingtree, Hundred-House and W. divisions of the county
of Worcester, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from Tenbury; containing 186 inhabitants, and comprising 1849 acres.
SUTTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Norton, union
of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding of
York, 1 mile (S. by E.) from Malton; containing 98
inhabitants. This place, with the hamlet of Welham,
forms a township, comprising 1270 acres, of which 360
are in Sutton: the village is a short distance west of
the road from Malton to North Grimston. Whitewall,
in the hamlet, has long been noted for its trainingstables.
Sutton (St. James)
SUTTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Sculcoatks, Middle division of the wapentake of Holderness, E. riding of York; containing 6384 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 4450 acres,
is bounded on the west by the river Hull, on whose bank
is the village of Stoneferry. It includes Witham, LimeStreet, the Groves, and Somergangs, forming the northeastern suburbs of the town of Hull, and now part of
the borough. Many of the most opulent merchants of
Hull have residences in the neighbourhood. Two large
spinning factories, and one for weaving cotton, have been
erected in the Groves; the Flax and Cotton Mill Company here alone employ 2500 hands. There are ropemanufactories, glass-works, and ship-building yards, all
on a very extensive scale. The village of Sutton is large
and well built, and pleasantly situated on a gently-rising
and salubrious eminence. The living is a perpetual
curacy, with a net income of £98; patron and impropriator, H. Broadley, Esq. The church had a chantry
of six priests, endowed by John of Sutton, and valued at
the Dissolution at £13. 18. 8. per annum. A church,
dedicated to St. Mark, was erected in 1841 at the
Groves, containing 1058 sittings; it is in the pointed
style, and cost about £5500. An ecclesiastical parish
was annexed to this edifice in Aug. 1844, under the act
6th and 7th of Victoria, cap. 37. The living is a perpetual curary, in the gift of the Crown and the Archbishop of York, alternately; net income, £220. In
the village are two hospitals; one founded by Leonard
Chamberlain, and rebuilt in 1800, for the maintenance
of two aged widowers and eight widows; and the
other erected in 1819, by the trustees of the late Mrs.
Watson, for widows and daughters of clergymen. A
house of White friars existed here in the time of
SUTTON, a township, in the parish of Kirklington, union of Bedale, wapentake of Hallikeld, N.
riding of York, 5¾ miles (N.) from Ripon; containing
97 inhabitants. The village is situated about half a
mile south of the road from Tanfield to Sinderby. The
tithes, including those of the township of Howgrave,
have been commuted for £135. 4. There is a place of
worshin for Wesleyans.
Sutton, with Healey, York.—See Healey.
SUTTON, with Healey, York.—See Healey.
SUTTON, a township, in the parish of Brotherton, Lower division of the wapentake of BarkstoneAsh, W. riding of York, 1 mile (N. E. by E.) from
Ferry-Bridge; containing 52 inhabitants. The township comprises about 750 acres, and is chiefly the property of Sir John Ramsden; the soil is fertile. The
river Aire pursues a devious course on the east, south,
SUTTON, a township, in the parishes of BurghWallis and Campsall, union of Doncaster, Upper
division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W. riding of
York, 6¼ miles (N. by W.) from Doncaster; containing
133 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 730
acres. Rent-charges as commutations for the tithes
have been awarded, namely, one of £113. 6. 8. to the
impropriator, and one of £22. 13. 4. to the rector of
Burgh-Wallis, who has also a glebe here of 24¼ acres.
In 1723, Mrs. Middleton bequeathed 3½ acres of land
for the poor.
SUTTON, a township, in the parish of Kildwick,
union of Keighley, E. division of the wapentake of
Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York, 5 miles
(W. N. W.) from Keighley; containing 1292 inhabitants.
The township comprises by computation 2650 acres;
a moor of nearly 1000 acres was inclosed in 1815, and a
considerable portion of it has been brought into cultivation. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the
manufacture of worsted stuffs, which is carried on extensively in a factory belonging to Messrs. Thomas
Bairston and Brothers, of Royds Hill. The village is
neatly built of stone. A rent-charge of £33 has been
awarded as a commutation for the vicarial tithes, and
one of £46. 18. 6. for the appropriate, payable to the
Dean and Chapter of Christ-Church, Oxford. There is
a place of worship for Baptists.
Sutton-At-Hone (St. John the Baptist)
SUTTON-AT-HONE (St. John the Baptist), a
parish, in the union of Dartford, hundred of Axton,
Dartford, and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-atHone, W. division of Kent, 2½ miles (S. by E.) from
Dartford; containing, with the hamlet of Swanley, 1128
inhabitants. This parish, from which the lathe derives
its name, is pleasantly situated on the river Darent, and
is intersected by the road from Dartford to Seven-Oaks.
It comprises 3587 acres, whereof 408 are in wood. The
village, on the bank of the river, has an interesting
appearance, and the surrounding scenery is agreeably
diversified, and enlivened with some good houses, among
which are Sutton Place and St. John's, the latter occupying the site of an ancient commandery. Near the northern extremity of the parish is Hawley House, a mansion of
considerable antiquity. The paper manufacture is carried on. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £10; net income, £519; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. There
is a vicarage-house, with a glebe of 22 acres. The
church, an ancient structure with some portions in the
decorated English style, was partly burnt down in 1615,
having been accidentally fired by some persons while
shooting bats. Here are places of worship for Baptists
and Wesleyans; also an almshouse founded by Katherine Wrott, in 1596. Jeffrey Fitz-Piers, Earl of Essex,
in the reign of Richard I. or of John, gave his estates in
the parish, for the establishment and endowment of an
hospital for three chaplains and thirteen brethren; and
about the same time, Robert Basinge granted the manor
to the Knights Hospitallers of St. John of Jerusalem.