Syde, county of Gloucester.—See Side.
SYDE, county of Gloucester.—See Side.
SYDENHAM, a chapelry, in the parish and union
of Lewisham, hundred of Blackheath, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 8½ miles (S. S. E.)
from London; containing 2915 inhabitants. This place,
which previously consisted only of a few scattered dwellings, was brought into notice by the discovery, in 1640,
of a saline chalybeate spring, whose waters, similar in
their properties to those of Epsom, made it the occasional
resort of invalids. The wells have fallen almost into
disuse, but the salubrity of the air, the pleasantness of
its situation, and its proximity to the metropolis, have
made Sydenham the permanent residence of numerous
families of respectability, who have erected handsome
seats and villas in its vicinity. The upper part of the
common commands extensive and richly-varied prospects, and the surrounding scenery possesses much
beauty; agreeable walks may be had, and the adjoining woods are frequented by parties from the metropolis
on pleasure excursions. The London and Croydon
railway intersects the chapelry, where a station has been
established. A fair, chiefly for pleasure, is held on TrinityMonday. The proprietary episcopal chapel here, of which
the Rev. P. A. French appoints the minister, was originally a meeting-house, where Dr. John Williams,
author of a Greek Concordance, officiated for many
years. The district church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, was erected in 1831, at an expense of £9485, and
is a handsome structure of Suffolk brick, ornamented
with stone, in the later English style: it contains 1000
sittings, of which 500 are free; the nave is lighted by
clerestory windows, and separated from the aisles by
lofty piers and arches of graceful elevation. The living
is a perpetual curacy; net income, £240; patron, the
Vicar of Lewisham. There are places of worship for
Independents and Wesleyans.
Sydenham (St. Mary)
SYDENHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Thame, hundred of Lewknor, county of Oxford, 2¾
miles (E.) from Tetsworth; containing 438 inhabitants.
The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Slater family;
income, £100. The tithes were commuted for land and
a money payment in 1823, under an inclosure act.
Sydenham-Damarel, or South Sydenham (St. Mary)
SYDENHAM-DAMAREL, or South Sydenham
(St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Tavistock,
hundred of Lifton, Lifton and Southern divisions of
Devon, 5 miles (W. by N.) from Tavistock; containing
369 inhabitants. The parish is separated from Cornwall by the river Tamar, and its northern extremity
is crossed by the Tavistock and Launceston road.
It comprises between 1000 and 1100 acres; the
surface is hilly, and the soil in general a light earth. A
mine of lead and copper was opened a few years since;
slate is quarried, and also stone for building and for
road-making. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £10. 6. 8., and in the gift of John Carpenter, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £165,
and there is a parsonage-house, with a glebe of about 80
acres. The church is a small handsome edifice.
Syderstone (St. Mary)
SYDERSTONE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Docking, hundred of Gallow, W. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (W. N. W.) from Fakenham; containing
504 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Fakenham to Docking, and comprises 2511 acres, of which
2246 are arable, 62 pasture, and 203 heath or common.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£13. 13. 4.; net income, £534; patron, the Marquess of
Cholmondeley: there is a parsonage-house, with a glebe
of 45 acres. The church is chiefly in the decorated and
later styles. Here are places of worship for Wesleyans
and Primitive Methodists.
Sydling (St. Nicholas)
SYDLING (St. Nicholas), a parish and liberty, in
the union of Cerne, Cerne division of Dorset, 3 miles
(W. S. W.) from Cerne; containing 675 inhabitants.
It comprises 4980a. 2r. 32p., of which about 1962 acres
are arable, 2778 pasture, and 179 woodland. The living
is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£13. 1.0½.; net income, £169; patrons and impropriators, the Warden and Fellows of Winchester College.
The great tithes have been commuted for £513, and the
appropriate glebe contains 6¾ acres. The church is a
neat structure in the later English style, with a high
embattled tower; the chancel was elegantly rebuilt by
the late Sir William Smith. At Hilfield, in the parish,
is a chapel of ease, erected about 1680. There is a place
of worship for Independents; and a national school is
supported by endowment.
SYDMONTON, a chapelry, in the parish, union,
and hundred of Kingsclere, Kingsclere and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 7 miles (N. by E.)
from Whitchurch; containing 151 inhabitants. The
manor was given by Henry VIII. to the Kingsmill
family, whose spacious mansion here was entirely remodelled in 1837. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary,
and situated in the park, has a fine Norman arch separating the chancel from the nave.
SYERSCOTE, a township, in the parish and union
of Tamworth, N. division of the hundred of Offlow
and of the county of Stafford, 3 miles (N. N. E ) from
Tamworth; containing 46 inhabitants. It comprises
480 acres, of good strong wheat land, the property of
Mr. Joseph Erpe.
Syerston (All Saints)
SYERSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of Newark
and of the county of Nottingham, 5¾ miles (S. W.)
from Newark; containing 208 inhabitants. The living
is annexed, with that of Coddington, to the vicarage of
East Stoke: the tithes of Syerston were commuted for
land and a money payment in 1792. The old Fosse-road
passes through the parish, which is partly bounded by
the river Trent.
SYKEHOUSE, a chapelry, in the parish of Fishlake, union of Thorne, S. division of the wapentake
of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York,
5 miles (N. W. by W.) from Thorne, containing 628
inhabitants. The township is bounded by the Goole
canal on the north; and, including the allotments awarded
to it on the inclosure of Hatfield Chase, and Thorne
Common, comprises an area of 4043a. 17p., chiefly on
the west side of the river Don. About one-fifth is in
pasture; the soil is various, and the lands are mostly
cultivated by their proprietors, by whom they have been
much improved. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter, is
an ancient structure of stone, to which a tower of brick
was added in 1724: the living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £100; patron, the Vicar of Fishlake. There
is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. A school
is partly supported by endowment; and £20 per annum
are distributed among the poor.
Syleham (St. Mary)
SYLEHAM (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 3½ miles
(S. W.) from Harleston; containing 399 inhabitants.
The parish is bounded on the north by the river Waveney, which separates it from the county of Norfolk; it
comprises 1600 acres, of which 30 are common or waste.
Syleham Hall, an ancient building, formerly the property of the Barrys, is now the residence of the Rev. A.
Cooper. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£70; patron and incumbent, the Rev. A. Cooper; impropriators, Miss Doughty and others, whose tithes have
been commuted for £245. The church is an ancient
edifice, partly in the early and partly in the decorated
English style, with a circular tower. There was once a
chapel at Esham, a hamlet in the parish.
Symondsbury (St. John the Baptist)
SYMONDSBURY (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Bridport, hundred of WhitchurchCanonicorum, Bridport division of Dorset, 1¼ mile
(W. N. W.) from Bridport; containing 1316 inhabitants.
It is on the road from London to Exeter, and comprises
about 4000 acres. The surface is marked by several
conical hills; the soil in the low grounds is a strong
clay, and in other parts loam and sand. The small
river Simene runs through the lands. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £36. 3. 4., and
in the gift of the family of Raymond: the tithes have
been commuted for £770, and there is a parsonagehouse, with a glebe of 160 acres. The church is a large
cruciform structure, partly in the early and partly in the
later English style, with a tower rising from the intersection, and contains some monuments to the family of
Syndercombe. In the neighbourhood are several springs
slightly impregnated with iron.
Symond's-Hall, with Combe
SYMOND'S-HALL, with Combe, a tything, in the
parish of Wotton-under-Edge, union of Dursley,
Upper division of the hundred of Berkeley, W. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (N. E. by E.)
from Wotton; containing 576 inhabitants.
Synfin, with Arleston
SYNFIN, with Arleston, a liberty, in the parish of
Barrow, union of Shardlow, hundred of Afpletree,
S. division of the county of Derby, 2½ miles (S. by W.)
from Derby; containing 85 inhabitants.
Syresham (St. James)
SYRESHAM (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Brackley, hundred of King's-Sutton, S. division of
the county of Northampton, 4 miles (N. E.) from
Brackley; containing 889 inhabitants. It is situated
on the road from Brackley to Towcester, and comprises
about 1770 acres. Stone is quarried for building and
other purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £13: net income, £152; patron, C. C.
Dormer, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and
a money payment in 1765: there is a parsonage-house,
with 33½ acres of land. The Wesleyans have a place of
worship. The Rev. George Hammond, in 1755, bequeathed £400 for teaching fourteen boys; and in augmentation, Conquest Jones in 1773 left £100.
SYSONBY, a parish, in the union of MeltonMowbray, hundred of Framland, N. division of the
county of Leicester, 1 mile (W.) from Melton-Mowbray; containing 68 inhabitants. The living is annexed
to the vicarage of Melton-Mowbray; the vicarial tithes
of Sysonby have been commuted for £130.
Syston (St. Peter)
SYSTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Barrow-upon-Soar, E. division of the hundred of
Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 5¼
miles (N. N. E.) from Leicester; containing 1421 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 1768 acres;
the soil is various, and in good cultivation: plaster of
Paris of very fine quality is obtained. The manufacture
of stockings affords employment to about 400 persons.
The Leicester navigation and the Melton navigation both
pass through the parish. The Midland Railway Company have a station at Syston, for their Rugby and
Derby line; and here commences their Syston and
Peterborough line, for which an act was passed in 1845,
and which is 47¾ miles in length. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 2. 7.;
net income, £115; patrons and impropriators, the
University of Oxford: the glebe comprises 7½ acres,
with a house. The church contains 700 sittings. There
are places of worship for Particular Baptists, Primitive
Methodists, and Wesleyans.
Syston (St. Mary)
SYSTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Newark, wapentake of Loveden, parts of Kesteven,
county of Lincoln, 3¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Grantham;
containing 226 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on
the east by the Ermin-street, and comprises 1864a. 3r.
The Hall, which stands on the summit of a hill, and
commands very extensive prospects, is surrounded by
a beautiful park and gardens, containing together more
than 500 acres: the library is one of the finest collections
in the country. The living is a vicarage; net income,
£83; patron and impropriator, Sir J. C. Thorold, Bart.
The church has portions in the Norman and early English styles; in the chancel are four mural monuments to
members of the Thorold family. The church and burialground, with the distant woods of Jericho, are celebrated
by Sir Walter Scott, under the name of Willingham, in
his Heart of Mid-Lothian.
Sywell (St. Peter and St. Paul)
SYWELL (St. Peter and St. Paul), a parish, in
the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Hamfordshoe, N. division of the county of Northampton, 6
miles (N. E.) from Northampton, on the road to Stamford; containing 211 inhabitants. The parish comprises by admeasurement 1950 acres, exclusively of
127a. 24p. occupied by Sywell woods: stone is quarried
for the roads. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £11. 1. 5½.; net income, £492; patron,
Earl Brownlow. There is a parsonage-house, and the
glebe contains 70 acres. The church is an ancient structure with a tower; the eastern window is of stained
glass, inserted at the expense of the Hon. and Rev.
H. C. Cust, the rector: the interior of the edifice was
entirely renovated in 1838.