THOCKRINGTON, a parish, in the union of Bellingham, N. E. division of Tindale ward, S. division
of Northumberland; containing, with the townships
of Little Bavington, Cary-Coats, and Sweethope, 193
inhabitants, of whom 42 are in Thockrington township,
10½ miles (N. by E.) from Hexham. This parish, which
is bounded on the west by the Roman Watling-street,
comprises 6814 acres, and in its more elevated parts
commands extensive views over a well cultivated country.
Here are some quarries, the produce of which is used
for building, and for making lime; a very excellent coalmine is in operation, and in the parish is also a rich
lead-mine, but not at present worked. The small hamlet
which is the head of the parish is said to have been once
a good village containing numerous farmers. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Rev. Sir
Robert Affleck (the impropriator), with a net income
of £48: the glebe is situated near East Woodburn, upon
the banks of the Rede, and consists of 155 acres. The
church is a very ancient edifice, standing on a lofty eminence. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists. A stone about 5½ feet long, and neatly chiselled
at one end, supposed to have been used by the Romans,
was found on the Watling-street here, two feet below
the surface, by some workmen, in 1839. About 100
yards to the south of the spot, Mr. Forster, M. P., met
about twenty gentlemen on the 6th of October, 1715,
and after leading them to some rising ground adjacent,
and being joined by the Earl of Derwentwater with his
servants and attendants all mounted and well armed,
harangued them on the advantages of raising Prince
James Stuart to the throne. W. G. Shafto, Esq., the
proprietor of the Cary-Coats estate, has caused the stone
discovered on the Watling-street to be set up in the
place where Mr. Forster addressed his followers.
THOLTHORP, a township, in the parish of Alne,
union of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding
of York, 4½ miles (S. W.) from Easingwould; containing 300 inhabitants. The township comprises by computation about 3000 acres: the village is situated on the
small river Linton, and on the western side of the
Forest of Galtres. The tithes were commuted for land
and an annual money payment in 1800.
THOMAS-CLOSE, a township, in the parish of
Hutton-in-the-Forest, union of Penrith, Leath
ward, E. division of Cumberland, 8¾ miles (N. W. by N.)
from Penrith; containing 99 inhabitants.
Thomas, St., the Apostle
THOMAS, ST., THE APOSTLE, a parish, in the
union and parliamentary borough of Launceston, N.
division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall; containing, with the hamlet of St. Thomas Street,
1125 inhabitants, of whom 366 are in the hamlet of St.
Thomas the Apostle. Building-stone is quarried, and
manganese is partially worked. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £83; patrons, the Inhabitants. The great tithes of the parish of St. Clether were
purchased for the curacy with money from Queen Anne's
Bounty, and the tithes upon certain fields and orchards
in this parish also belong to it. A priory was founded
here by Bishop Warlewast, who, in 1126, removed to it
an establishment of secular canons which had previously
existed at St. Stephen's: upon the Dissolution its revenue
was estimated at £354. 0. 11. At Kestelwood are vestiges of ancient earthworks.
Thomas, St., the Apostle
THOMAS, ST., THE APOSTLE, a parish, and the
head of a union, in the hundred of Wonford, Wonford
and S. divisions of Devon, ½ a mile (S. by W.) from
Exeter; containing, with the chapelry of Oldridge, 4301
inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the north-east
by the river Exe, from which the Exeter canal passes to
the south. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £11. 2. 8½., and in the patronage of James W.
Buller, Esq., with a net income of £237: the tithes,
which have been commuted for £700, wholly belong to
Mr. Buller, who pays a stipend to the incumbent. The
church, erected in 1412, and enlarged in 1829, is in the
later English style, and contains 1000 sittings, 250 of
which are free. At Oldridge is a separate incumbency,
and a chapel has been erected at the village of Exwick.
The poor-law union comprises 49 parishes or places,
and has a population of 47,105. A small priory of
Black canons, a cell to that of Plympton, was founded
in the time of Henry III., in honour of the Blessed
Virgin; it stood partly in this parish, and partly in that
THOMLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Waterperry,
union of Thame, hundred of Bullingdon, county of
Oxford; containing 13 inhabitants.
Thompson (St. Martin)
THOMPSON (St. Martin), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Wayland, W. division of Norfolk,
3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Watton; containing 490 inhabitants, and comprising about 1946 acres. The living is a
perpetual curacy; net income, £49; patron and impropriator, H. D. Emsworth, Esq. The church is in the
early and decorated English styles, with a lofty square
embattled tower, and a south transept; on the south
side of the chancel are three sedilia of stone, and a piscina
of elegant design. Nineteen acres of land, producing
£30 per annum, have been allotted to the poor. Sir
Thomas de Shardelow, Knt., and his brother, about
1349 founded a chantry or college in honour of the
Blessed Virgin and All Saints, for a master and five
chaplains, whose revenue, at the Dissolution, was valued
at £52. 15. 7.: the remains have been converted into a
Thompson (St. Andrew)
THOMPSON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union
of Blandford, hundred of Coombs-Ditch, Blandford
division of Dorset, 6½ miles (S. by E.) from Blandford;
containing 48 inhabitants. The living is a discharged
rectory, valued in the king's books at £4. 8. 9., and in
the gift of William John Bankes, Esq.: the tithes have
been commuted for £84, and the glebe comprises about
an acre. The church, a small brick edifice, circular at
the east end, was rebuilt by Archbishop Wake.
THONG, NETHER, a township, in the parish of
Almondbury, union of Huddersfield, Upper division
of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 5¼
miles (S. by W.) from Huddersfield; containing 1156
inhabitants. It comprises an area of about 875 acres,
of which the soil is fertile, and in good cultivation; the
village is pleasantly situated on an acclivity. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the woollen manufacture.
A district church, dedicated to All Saints, was erected
in 1830, at an expense of £2869, of which £2500 were
granted by the Parliamentary Commissioners, and the
remainder raised by subscription; it is a neat structure
in the early English style, with a campanile turret, and
contains 700 sittings, of which 320 are free. The living
is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of
Almondbury, with a net income of £150; impropriators,
the Governors of Clitheroe school.
THONG, UPPER, an ecclesiastical parish, and a
township, in the parish of Almondbury, union of
Huddersfield, Upper division of the wapentake of
Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 6¼ miles (S.) from Huddersfield; containing 2352 inhabitants. The township
is 3½ miles in length and one mile in breadth, and comprises 3045a. 1r. 10p., the surface rising into bold hills,
with some moorland on the heights. It includes part of
the village of Holmfirth, which is chiefly in the parish of
Kirk-Burton. The river Holm, and the Manchester and
Huddersfield road, pass through; and here is a branch
railway in connexion with the Huddersfield and Sheffield
line. The village of Upper Thong is seated on an eminence, is well built, and contains many modern houses;
the inhabitants are chiefly employed in the manufacture
of woollen goods. The township was constituted an
ecclesiastical district in January 1846, under the act
6th and 7th Victoria, cap. 37, and was formed into a parish
on the consecration of its church, of which the first stone
was laid in September 1846. The edifice is in the
pointed style, consisting of a nave, chancel, transepts,
and a tower on the south side; it contains about 700
sittings, and the cost, including the site, was about
£4000. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Crown and the Bishop of Ripon, alternately;
net income, £150. There are places of worship for Independents and Methodists. The water of a mineral
spring here, recently opened, is somewhat similar in
odour to the celebrated Harrogate sulphur water: the
township also contains a chalybeate spring.
THORALBY, a township, in the parish of Aysgarth,
wapentake of Hang-West, N. riding of York, 8½ miles
(W. by S.) from Middleham; containing 299 inhabitants.
It comprises by computation 3000 acres of land, rising
into lofty moorland fells; the village lies on the west
side of Bishop's-dale. The impropriate tithes have been
commuted for £69, payable to Trinity College, Cambridge. The Wesleyans have a place of worship.
Thoresby, North (St. Helen)
THORESBY, NORTH (St. Helen), a parish, in
the union of Louth, wapentake of Bradley-Haverstoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8 miles
(N. by W.) from Louth; containing 623 inhabitants.
The parish comprises by admeasurement 2485 acres, of
which 480 are common or waste. The road from Louth
to Grimsby runs along its western extremity; and the
Louth canal passes about 2½ miles from the village, for
a short distance through the eastern part of the parish.
A pleasure-fair is held on Holy-Thursday. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £24. 10. 10., and
in the gift of the Rev. H. Bassett: the tithes have been
commuted for £441. 13., and the glebe contains 54a. 3r.
37p., with a house, recently built. The church is very
ancient, with a chancel of later date. There are places
of worship for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists.
Dr. Robert Mapletoft in 1676 bequeathed 47 acres of
land, now producing £30 per annum, for the endowment
of a free school; and £17 a year, from Mrs. F. Smith's
charity, are distributed among the poor.
Thoresby, South (St. Andrew)
THORESBY, SOUTH (St. Andrew), a parish, in
the union of Louth, Marsh division of the hundred of
Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
4 miles (W. by N.) from Alford; containing 138 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement 906 acres. The
substratum is chiefly limestone, which is quarried for
burning into lime; and there are some pits of good
gravel, in which fossil remains of the nautilus are found.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £6. 3. 6½., and in the patronage of the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, with a net income of
£214; the glebe comprises 22½ acres. The church is a
neat structure of brick, built in 1738.
THORESTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of
Saleby, union of Louth, Wold division of the hundred
of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln,
¾ of a mile (N. N. E.) from Alford; containing 53 inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land and a
money payment in 1803.
Thoresway (St. Mary)
THORESWAY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles
(S. E.) from Caistor; containing 189 inhabitants. This
place derives its name from Thor, a Scandinavian deity
who presided over desolate parts. It was formerly included in the duchy of Lancaster, and was given in
1644 by Charles I. to Sir John Colepeper, whom that
king created a baron, of Thoresway, as a reward for his
services in the royal cause, and whose descendants continued to bear the title till 1725, when the fourth baron
died without issue. A great portion of the surface was
a rabbit-warren, but this has been brought into an excellent state of cultivation by the application of bone
manure, and the parish now comprises 2845 acres of
good land, of which 2645 are arable, 130 pasture, and 70
plantation. The surface is hilly; the village is situated
in a picturesque valley of the Wolds. The living is a
discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8.
10. 10., and in the gift of the Crown, with a net income
of £493, derived from 686 acres of land assigned at the
inclosure in lieu of tithes: a glebe-house was erected in
1840. The church is a small edifice.
Thorganby (All Saints)
THORGANBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Caistor, S. division of the wapentake of Walshcroft, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 6¼ miles
(E. S. E.) from Caistor; containing 116 inhabitants.
It comprises 1400a. 3r. 9p., of which four-fifths are
arable, and the rest grass and plantations. The surface
is undulated, and the scenery picturesque: the soil is
chalky, producing barley, wheat, and oats; and limestone
is procured for building purposes, and for burning into
lime as manure. Thorganby Hall, formerly the seat of
the Willoughbys, is an ancient and handsome stone
mansion, situated in well-wooded grounds commanding
fine prospects. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £6. 0. 10., and in the gift
of the Earl of Yarborough, who is lord of the manor and
owner of the entire parish; the tithes have been commuted for £85. The church is a small structure, recently improved. Six skeletons, with ancient swords
and spears near them, were found in 1832.
Thorganby (St. Elen)
THORGANBY (St. Elen), a parish, in the union of
York, wapentake of Ouse and Derwent, E. riding of
York, 9¾ miles (S. E.) from York; containing, with
the township of West Cottingwith, 373 inhabitants.
This place, which is of some antiquity, for a considerable period consisted only of three houses. Of these one
was the Benedictine priory of Thicket, founded by
Roger Fitz-Roger in the reign of Richard I., and which
continued to flourish till the Dissolution, when its revenue was returned at £23. 12. 2. The priory, together
with the conventual lands, was granted in the 33rd of
Henry VIII. to John Aske, to whose family the patronage or foundership had descended from the Hayes.
There are but few remains of the ancient buildings; in
1822 a handsome mansion of brick, called Thicket
Priory, was erected on the site. The parish comprises
3039a. 2r. 22p., of which about 2430 acres are arable,
557 meadow and pasture, and 52 woodland and plantations. The surface is generally flat, but the scenery,
which is enriched with wood, is of pleasing character;
the soil is partly clay and partly a sandy loam, in good
cultivation. The village is situated near the river Derwent. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£50; patron and impropriator, the Rev. J. Dunnington
Jefferson. The church, an ancient structure in the
Norman style, is in a perfect state of repair. There is
a place of worship for Wesleyans. A parochial school
was founded in 1733, by Thomas Dunnington, Esq., who
bequeathed a house and garden for it, with an endowment in money, which was augmented with £10. 10. per
annum by Robert Jefferson, Esq., for the instruction of
eight additional children.
Thorington (St. Peter)
THORINGTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk,
4 miles (S. E.) from Halesworth; containing 157 inhabitants. It comprises about 1286 acres; the surface is
flat, and the soil runs through several varieties. The
living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books
at £7, and in the gift of Lieut.-Colonel Bence, who resides here: the tithes have been commuted for £280,
and the glebe contains 11 acres. The church has a
round tower, and several Norman details.
Thorlby, with Stirton.—See Stirton.
THORLBY, with Stirton.—See Stirton.
Thorley (St. James)
THORLEY (St. James), a parish, in the union of
Bishop-Stortford, hundred of Braughin, county of
Hertford, 2½ miles (S. S. W.) from Bishop-Stortford;
containing 396 inhabitants. The living is a rectory,
valued in the king's books at £16. 13. 4.; patron, the
Bishop of London: the tithes have been commuted for
£470, and the glebe consists of 50 acres. The church
has an embattled tower surmounted by a lofty spire, and
is entered on the south by a Norman doorway.
Thorley (St. Mary)
THORLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the liberty of
West Medina, Isle of Wight division of the county of
Southampton, 1 mile (E. S. E.) from Yarmouth; containing 163 inhabitants. It comprises 1518 acres, of
which 1014 are arable, 359 meadow and pasture, 50
down, and 78 wood. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 18. 9.; patron,
the Rev. James Penfold. The great tithes have been
commuted for £257, and the small for £110: the vicar
has a glebe of 16 acres. The church was erected by
Amicia, Countess of Devon, who gave it to the priory of
Christchurch, by which establishment it was retained till
Thormanby (St. Mary)
THORMANBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
of Easingwould, wapentake of Bulmer, N. riding of
York, 4¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Easingwould; containing 138 inhabitants. It comprises about 900 acres,
and is partly the property of Viscount Downe: the
village is intersected by the road from Easingwould to
Thirsk, and stands about half a mile south-east of Birdforth. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £8. 2. 11., and in the patronage of
Viscount Downe: the tithes have been commuted for
£246; there are 38½ acres of glebe.