THORNVILLE, a township, in the parish of Whixley, Lower division of the wapentake of Claro, W.
riding of York, 5¼ miles (S. by E.) from Boroughbridge;
containing 18 inhabitants. This township, which comprises about 200 acres of fertile land, occupies the north
bank of the river Nidd. It is the property of Mr.
Thomas Proud, whose father purchased the estate from
Colonel Thornton, of sporting celebrity: the mansion is
a handsome brick structure, finely situated in a wellplanted demesne.
THORNWOOD, a hamlet, in the parish of North
Weald Bassett, union of Epping, hundred of Harlow, S. division of the county of Essex, 2½ miles (N.
N. E.) from Epping; containing 293 inhabitants.
Thoroton (St. Elena)
THOROTON (St. Elena), a parish, in the union,
and N. division of the wapentake, of Bingham, S. division of the county of Nottingham, 8 miles (S. S. W.)
from Newark; containing 152 inhabitants. The soil is
in general a rich clay. The living is annexed, with that
of Scarrington, to the vicarage of Orston: at the inclosure in 1796, the small tithes were commuted for 19a.
1r. 5p. of land. The church is a handsome structure,
with a tower surmounted by a fine spire.
THORP-ACRE, a parish, in the union of Loughborough, hundred of West Goscote, N. division of the
county of Leicester, 1¼ mile (W. N. W.) from Loughborough; containing, with the hamlet of Dishley, 298
inhabitants. The parish comprises 811 acres, of which
the soil is generally a fertile loam; it is bounded on the
east by the Soar, and is intersected by a rivulet. The
church was completed in 1845, at a cost of £1000,
raised by subscription, aided by a grant from the Incorporated Society: Miss Tate was a liberal contributor.
The living is a donative curacy, in the patronage of C.
M. Phillipps, Esq. The sum of £22 per annum, arising
from land left by John Ransdale in 1708, is applied in
support of a girls' school of industry, and in clothing
Thorp-Arch (All Saints)
THORP-ARCH (All Saints), a parish, in the W.
division of the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York,
2¾ miles (S. E. by E.) from Wetherby; containing 326
inhabitants. This place derived the suffix to its name
from the De Arch family, who came over with the Conqueror, and obtained large possessions in this part of the
country. The parish is situated in the beautiful vale of
the river Wharfe, and comprises 1606a. 2r. 3p. of land,
chiefly belonging to Randall Gossip, Esq., who is lord of
the manor. Of this area, 978 acres are arable, 500
meadow and pasture, 75 wood and plantations, and the
remainder homesteads, roads, and waste. Thorp-Arch
Hall, the seat of Mr. Gossip, is a handsome mansion,
commanding richly-diversified prospects. The village
is situated on the river, which here presents many interesting points of view; the manufacture of the coarser
kinds of paper is carried on, and there are two large
flour-mills. The Roman road to Boroughbridge, called
Rudgate, passes by the eastern boundary of the parish.
The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the
rectorial tithes, valued in the king's books at £3. 15. 5.,
and in the gift of the Rev. Charles Medhurst, of Ledstone
Hall: the tithes have been commuted for £387. 9. 2.
The church, with the exception of the tower, in which is
a highly-enriched Norman doorway, was rebuilt in 1756,
in the later English style. A school was founded in
1738, by Lady Eliz. Hastings, who endowed it with £15
per annum, and ten acres of land the money endowment has since been augmented to £43 per annum.
THORP-AUDLING, a township, in the parish of
Badsworth, Upper division of the hundred of Osgoldcross, W. riding of York, 4½ miles (S. S. E.) from
Pontefract; containing 315 inhabitants. The township
comprises about 1260 acres of land.
Thorp-Bassett (All Saints)
THORP-BASSETT (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Malton, wapentake of Buckrose, E. riding
of York, 5 miles (E. by N.) from Malton; containing
201 inhabitants. It comprises about 1750 acres of land,
in the manor of Rillington: the village is near the
source of a rivulet, and a short distance south of the road
from Malton to Sherburn. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £12; patron, Earl Fitzwilliam;
net income, £309. The church is an ancient structure,
with a bell-gable. The Rev. James Graves in 1804 bequeathed £200, the proceeds of which are applied in aid
of the instruction of children.
THORP-STAPLETON, a township, in the parish of
Whitkirk, Lower division of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 3¾ miles (S. E.) from Leeds;
containing 15 inhabitants. It is situated on the north
side of the river Aire.
Thorp-Sub-Montem. —See Burnsall.
THORP-UNDERWOODS, a township, in the parish
of Little Ouseburn, Lower division of the wapentake
of Claro, W. riding of York, 6½ miles (S. E.) from
Boroughbridge; containing 182 inhabitants. This
township is situated in the vale of the Ouse, and comprises 2200 acres of land in good cultivation. The scenery abounds with picturesque beauty.
Thorpe (St. Leonard)
THORPE (St. Leonard), a parish, in the hundred
of Wirksworth, S. division of the county of Derby,
3¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Ashbourn; containing 196
inhabitants. It includes the Derbyshire side of Dovedale, which abounds with striking scenery. Thorpe
Cloud on the right, and a towering pile of massive rocks
on the left, of the southern entrance of the vale, form
ramparts of majestic elevation, between and beyond which
the river winds with varied course, sometimes rushing
with tumultuous effort along the bases of stupendous
cliffs, and at others expanding into a smooth and placid
surface, reflecting the luxuriant verdure of its woodcrowned banks. At intervals, rude rocky masses of
grotesque form, which have been fancifully denominated
My Lady's Chair, Dovedale Castle, the Church, the
Twelve Apostles, the Lion's Head, the Sugar Loaves,
and the Lover's Leap, rise in succession throughout this
enchanting dale, in which the more simple and the more
sublime beauties of nature, in all their variety, are
strikingly combined. The river flows from north to
south. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the
king's books at £6. 1. 6.; net income, £129; patron,
the Bishop of Lichfield. The church is partly in the
Norman style, and being situated on the brow of a hill,
and surrounded with trees, forms a very pleasing object
in the landscape. In Domesday book the place is called
Torp; at the time of that survey it was a royal possession, and it appears afterwards to have belonged to the
Thorpe (St. Peter)
THORPE (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Spilsby, E. division of the soke of Bolingbroke, parts
of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 1½ mile (N. W.) from
Wainfleet; containing 557 inhabitants. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£20. 19. 4.; net income, £313; patron and impropriator, W. Hopkinson, Esq.
THORPE, a township, in the parish of Tattershall,
union of Horncastle, S. division of the wapentake of
Gartree, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln; containing 300 inhabitants.
Thorpe (St. Lawrence)
THORPE (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union
of Southwell, S. division of the wapentake of Newark
and of the county of Nottingham, 3 miles (S. W.) from
Newark; containing 108 inhabitants. The parish is
situated about half a mile east of the river Trent, and of
the old Fosse road from Nottingham to Newark; and
comprises by computation 698a. 2r. Building-stone is
quarried. A few hands are employed in making lace for
the Nottingham houses. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the
Crown: the tithes have been commuted for £209, and
the glebe contains 40 acres. The church exhibits portions in the several styles of English architecture; the
tower was formerly surmounted with a steeple. A fine
tessellated pavement, some coins, and other Roman relics,
have been discovered. On a small mound in a field
adjoining the turnpike-road Henry VII. is said to have
erected his standard, on the 6th of June, 1487, the day
upon which he fought the battle of Stoke Field with the
Earl of Lincoln.
THORPE, a parish, in the union of Loughborough,
S. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe and of
the county of Nottingham, 6¾ miles (N. E.) from
Loughborough; containing 44 inhabitants. The living
is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at
£12. 9. 4½ patron, Lord Rancliffe. The church has
THORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Aldringham,
union and hundred of Blything, E. division of Suffolk, 3¼ miles (N. by E.) from Aldborough; containing
142 inhabitants. Here was formerly a chapel.
THORPE, Ashfield parish, hundred of Thredling, county of Suffolk.—See Ashfield.
Thorpe (St. Mary)
THORPE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Windsor, Second division of the hundred of Godley,
W. division of Surrey, 2 miles (S. W. by S.) from
Staines; containing 532 inhabitants. The manor appears to have been held under the abbots of Chertsey in
the 15th century, by a family named Thorpe: after the
Dissolution, Queen Elizabeth granted the lands to Sir
John Wolley, her Latin secretary. The parish comprises
1495a. 3r. 2p., of which 700 acres were inclosed in 1806;
the surface is level, and the soil of good quality. Thorpe
is situated on the river Thames, between the Great
Western and the London and South-Western railways,
from each of which it is about five miles distant. The
living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£5. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown, with a
net income of £141; impropriator, the Rev. H. Leigh
Bennett. The great tithes have been commuted for
£115, and those of the vicar for £70: there are 10 acres
of glebe. The church is a very old edifice, with a tower
of brick covered with ivy, and contains some ancient
THORPE, a township, in the parish and union of
Howden, wapentake of Howdenshire, E. riding of
York, 1¼ mile (N. by E.) from Howden; with 50 inhabitants. It is a small township, comprising 260 acres,
set out in two farms, one of them on Walling fen.
Thorpe, with Whitcliff.—See Whitcliff.
THORPE, with Whitcliff.—See Whitcliff.
Thorpe, Leeds.—See Thorpe-on-the-Hill
THORPE, Leeds.—See Thorpe-on-the-Hill.
THORPE, an ecclesiastical district, in the union of
Rotherham, N. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 4 miles
(N. W.) from Rotherham; containing about 2000 inhabitants. The district was formed from the parishes of
Rotherham, Wath, and Ecclesfield, in 1841: the village
is of considerable antiquity, and its inhabitants are partly
employed in making nails, for which the place has been
long celebrated. The substratum abounds with coal, of
which five mines are in full operation, and with freestone
of good quality for building, which is extensively quarried.
Grange Hall, the seat of the Earl of Effingham, is a handsome residence here. The church, called Trinity church,
was consecrated in 1840, and is in the later English style,
with a spire; it has 577 sittings, of which 187 are free,
and cost £1800. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the
patronage of four Trustees; income, £150, with a house.
There are two places of worship for Wesleyans.