Thrandeston (St. Margaret)
THRANDESTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the
parliamentary borough of Eye, union and hundred of
Hartismere, W. division of Suffolk, 3 miles (N. W.)
from Eye; containing 373 inhabitants. A considerable
fair is held on the 31st of July, chiefly for lambs and
cattle. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £13. 6. 8; net income, £391; patron, Sir E.
Kerrison, Bart. The parsonage-house was much improved by the late incumbent, the Rev. Nathaniel D'Eye;
the glebe contains about 13 acres. The church is chiefly
in the later style, with a lofty embattled tower; the nave
is lighted by clerestory windows, and separated from
the chancel by a carved screen. There are some cottages
and land, the rental of which, amounting to about £26,
is applied to parochial purposes.
Thrapston, or Thrapstone (St. James)
THRAPSTON, or Thrapstone (St. James), a market-town and parish, and the head of a union, in the
hundred of Navisford, N. division of the county of
Northampton, 22 miles (N. E. by E.) from Northampton, and 75 (N. N. W.) from London; containing
1136 inhabitants. It is delightfully situated in a rich
and luxuriant valley, on the eastern bank of the river
Nen or Nene, over which is a bridge of several arches,
constructed partly of wood and partly of stone, in 1795,
in lieu of an old stone structure swept away by an inundation in that year. This bridge was enlarged a few
years ago. The houses are neat and regularly built, and
the inhabitants are supplied with excellent water. The
vicinity is adorned with numerous residences of the
nobility and gentry; there are 25 villages within five
miles of the town, and from an adjacent eminence 32
churches may be seen. The town appears to have been
more extensive than it is at present, as several traces of
buildings destroyed by fire are visible. The principal
articles of manufacture are whips and bobbin-lace; a
few persons are employed in patten-making, and on the
river are corn-mills and a paper-mill. Some trade is
carried on in conveying grain by means of the Nene,
which was made navigable in 1737, to Northampton,
Peterborough, Lynn, and other places; and in bringing
back timber, coal, and other commodities. Here is a
station (a very handsome building in the Elizabethan
style) of the Northampton and Peterborough railway;
it is six miles from the Higham-Ferrers station, and
eight from that of Oundle. The market, held on Tuesday, is the largest hog-market in the county, and is also
for corn and seed. Fairs are held on the first Tuesday
in May, for cattle and sheep, and on August 5th, for
hiring servants, and for cattle, shoes, and pedlery: on
the first Tuesday after Old Michaelmas-day, is a very
large fair for cattle. There is a resident magistrate;
and subordinate officers are appointed at the manorial
court, at the court of the honour of Gloucester, and that
for Navisford hundred, all of which are held here. The
powers of the county debt-court of Thrapston, established
in 1847, extend over the registration-district of Thrapston, and five adjacent parishes. The parish contains
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£14. 5. 5., and has a net income of £348; it is in the
patronage of the Lord Chancellor. The glebe comprises
227½ acres, with a handsome house having a fine facade,
built in 1837 by the present rector, the Rev. W. S.
Bagshaw. The church is a cruciform structure combining the early, decorated, and later English styles,
with a western tower and spire: the nave and aisles
were recently rebuilt at a cost exceeding £1800. The
chancel is of very chaste appearance, and has an elegant
window ornamented in its foils with various specimens
of stained glass; it contains three stone stalls with rich
mouldings and crocketed canopies. The pews are uniform; ample accommodation is afforded to 500 persons,
besides which are nearly 200 free sittings. In the
churchyard is a very ancient and curious monument
of the Vere family, former lords of the manor. There
are places of worship for Baptists and Wesleyans, a
national school, and Church and Baptist Sunday schools;
also a clothing institution, two friendly societies, and a
society of Odd Fellows. The poor-law union comprises
26 parishes or places, 20 of which are in the county of
Northampton, and 6 in that of Huntingdon; and contains a population of 12,041.
Threapland, with Bothel.—See Bothel.
THREAPLAND, with Bothel.—See Bothel.
Threckingham (St. Peter)
THRECKINGHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the
union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aveland, parts of
Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (N. E. by N.)
from Falkingham; containing, with the hamlet of Stow,
197 inhabitants. The road from Bridge-End, Spalding,
and Boston, to Grantham, runs through the parish. A
rough kind of stone is quarried for building and for the
roads. A fair is held in June for horses and general
stock, and another in July for hardware and various
fancy articles. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £6. 8. 9.; net income,
£144; patron and impropriator, Sir G. Heathcote, Bart.
The tithes were commuted for land in 1768. The church
has a lofty tower and spire, and exhibits a curious admixture of the Norman, early English, and decorated
styles: in the chancel is an elegant stall; the font is
circular, with early English panelling, and there are
some old monuments and good screen-work. Vestiges
of Roman roads may be traced in the neighbourhood;
and remains of ancient barrows are to be seen, the
memorials of a battle fought between the Danes and
Saxons: in this battle, three Danish kings in succession
were killed on the first day's fight, but the Saxons were
at last defeated, partly by a ruse de guerre, and partly
by numerous reinforcements being received by the
THREE-FARMS, a township, in the parish of Eccleshall, poor-law union of Stone, N. division of the
hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford;
containing 71 inhabitants.
THRELKELD, a chapelry, in the parish of Greystock, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of
Cumberland, 4½ miles (E. N. E.) from Keswick; containing 332 inhabitants. It comprises 2200 acres, onethird of which is poor pasture and in woodland, and the
remainder about equally divided between arable and
meadow. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£53; patron, the Earl of Lonsdale. The chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was rebuilt by subscription in 1776,
at a cost of £270.
THRESHFIELD, a township, in the parish of Linton, union of Skipton, E. division of the wapentake
of Staincliffe and Ewcross, W. riding of York,
9 miles (N.) from Skipton; containing 221 inhabitants.
This township, including the hamlet of Skythorne, comprises about 1990 acres, chiefly meadow and pasture;
the soil is generally light, resting on limestone. A
school is endowed with £30 per annum.
THREXTON, a parish, in the union of Swaffham,
hundred of Wayland, W. division of Norfolk, 2½
miles (W. by S.) from Watton; containing 19 inhabitants. It comprises 1059a. 2r. 39p., of which 840 acres
are arable, 101 meadow and pasture, and 118 in wood;
the surface is undulated, and the scenery pleasingly
diversified. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed
to the vicarage of Swaffham, and valued in the king's
books at £7. 9. 4½.: the tithes have been commuted
for £171. The church has a low round steeple; the
east end of the north aisle has been converted into a
mausoleum. To the south of the church is a Roman
encampment where several antiquities have been found.
Thribergh (St. Leonard)
THRIBERGH (St. Leonard), a parish, in the union
of Rotherham, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W. riding of York, 3 miles
(N. E.) from Rotherham; containing, with part of the
township of Dalton, 314 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1624a. lr. 27p., of which about 800 acres are
arable, 770 pasture, and about 30 woodland, all the
property of John Fullerton, Esq., lord of the manor.
The soil is fertile, and the scenery richly diversified.
Thribergh Park, the seat of Mr. Fullerton, is a handsome mansion in the early style of domestic architecture, finely situated in a well-wooded park, and commanding some interesting views. The village is on
the road to Doncaster, and is small but neatly built.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£12. 11. 5½., and in the gift of Mr. Fullerton: the tithes
have been commuted for £190; there is a parsonagehouse, and the glebe consists of 117¾ acres. The church
is principally in the later English style, with a square
embattled tower surmounted by a spire, and contains
some remains of the ancient stained glass with which
its windows were formerly embellished.
Thrigby (St. Mary)
THRIGBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the East and
West Flegg incorporation, hundred of East Flegg,
E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (N. W. by W.) from
Yarmouth; containing 53 inhabitants. It comprises
575a. 3r. 2p., of which about 436 acres are arable, and
the remainder meadow and marsh. The principal part
belongs to Thomas Browne, Esq., who resides at the
Hall, a neat mansion of white brick. The living is a
discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6,
and in the gift of Mr. Browne: the tithes have been
commuted for £210. 17., and the glebe comprises 4½
Thrimby, with Little Strickland
THRIMBY, with Little Strickland, a chapelry,
in the parish of Morland, West ward and union,
county of Westmorland, 3 miles (N. by W.) from
Shap; containing 200 inhabitants, of whom 66 are in
the township of Thrimby. The living is a perpetual
curacy; net income, £80; patron, the Vicar of Morland; appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle,
whose tithes were partly commuted for land in 1830,
and partly under the late act for a rent-charge of £20.
13. 10. There is a glebe of 25½ acres. The present
chapel, dedicated to St. Mary, was consecrated in 1814,
having been built at Little Strickland, together with a
school-house, by the Earl of Lonsdale. The school was
founded in 1684, by Thomas Fletcher.
THRINGSTONE, a township, in the parish of
Whitwick, union of Ashby-de-la-Zouch, hundred of
West Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4¾ miles (E.) from Ashby; containing 1232 inhabitants. The tithes were commuted for land in 1803,
under an inclosure act.—See Whitwick.
Thriplow (All Saints)
THRIPLOW (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Royston, hundred of Thriplow, county of Cambridge,
6 miles (N. N. E.) from Royston; containing 477 inhabitants. A grand rendezvous of the army commauded
by Fairfax and Cromwell, took place on Thriplow Heath,
in July 1647: instruments of warfare are frequently
found here. The parish comprises 2296 acres, of which
1609 were until lately common or waste land. The
living is a discharged vicarage, in the patronage of the
Bishop of Ely, valued in the king's books at £4. 9. 2.:
the great tithes, belonging to Peter House, Cambridge,
have been commuted for £617. 12., and the vicarial
tithes for £134. 11.; the impropriate glebe contains
55½ acres, and the vicarial about one acre. The church
is an ancient cruciform structure, and has several monuments to the family of Lucas. There is a place of worship for Independents.
THRISLINGTON, a township, in the parish of
Bishop's-Middleham, union of Sedgkfield, N. E.
division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of
Durham, 7½ miles (S. S. E.) from Durham; containing
24 inhabitants. This place, originally called Thurstanton, is bounded on the west by the river North Skerne,
which, rising in the marsh between Ferryhill and Thrislington, pursues its course southward. The produce of
a colliery here, is shipped on the Tees. Thrislington
Hall stands immediately on the east bank of the marsh;
on the west side was the ancient "wood of Fery," now
reduced to a straggling hazel copse, interspersed with a
few remains of old forest timber, ash and elm. The
vicarial tithes have been commuted for £9. 13.
Thriston or Thirston, East and West
THRISTON or THIRSTON, EAST and WEST, a
township, in the parish of Felton, union of Alnwick,
E. division of Morpeth ward, N. division of Northumberland, 9¾ miles (S. by E.) from Alnwick; including the hamlet of Shot-Haugh, and containing 307
inhabitants, of whom 60 are in East and 247 in West
Thriston. These two places lie close to the river Coquet,
on its south side; and the road between Morpeth and
Alnwick runs near them. They comprise together about
2342 acres, of which the soil is loamy, and very productive. Thriston House, built in 1825, is a neat and
THROAPHAM, a township, in the parish of Laughton-en-le-Morthen, union of Worksop, S. division
of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill, W.
riding of York, 6½ miles (S. S. W.) from Tickhill; containing 69 inhabitants. The township comprises about
1100 acres of land in good cultivation, and consists
chiefly of scattered hamlets. Among these is Thorpe
St. John, containing an ancient church that from time
immemorial has been annexed to Laughton. The tithes,
including those of Thwaite, have been commuted for
£200, of which £50 are payable to the vicar of the
Throcking (Holy Trinity)
THROCKING (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union
of Buntingford, hundred of Edwinstree, county of
Hertford, 2 miles (W. N. W.) from Buntingford; containing 66 inhabitants. It forms part of the highest
ground in the county, and comprises by computation
between 900 and 1000 acres: the road from London to
Cambridge runs along its eastern boundary. The living
is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £252; patron and incumbent, the Rev. W. Adams.
There is a small glebe, given by the late patron, with a
good house. The church contains several monuments
to the Elwes family, who formerly had a mansion here;
one of the memorials, executed by Nollekens, is of very
THROCKLEY, a township, in the parish of Newburn, union and W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 6¼ miles (W. by N.) from
Newcastle; containing 160 inhabitants, and comprising
by computation 735 acres. Throckley Fell, on the north
side of the road between Newcastle and Hexham, was
inclosed under an act obtained in 1816.
THROCKMORTON, a chapelry, in the parish of
Fladbury, union of Pershore, Middle division of the
hundred of Oswaldslow, Pershore and E. divisions of
the county of Worcester, 4¼ miles (N. E.) from Pershore; containing 157 inhabitants. It comprises 1396
acres, principally arable, the whole of which, with the
exception of about 260 acres attached to the rectory of
Fladbury, belongs to the Throckmorton family. The
chapel, a neat building, was restored in 1833, chiefly at
the expense of the late Sir Charles Throckmorton.
THROOP, a tything, in the parochial chapelry of
Holdenhurst, parish and union of Christchurch,
liberty of Westover, Ringwood and S. divisions of the
county of Southampton; containing 96 inhabitants.
It is on the southern bank of the Stour.
THROPPLE, a township, in the parish of Mitford,
union, and W. division of the ward, of Morpeth, N.
division of Northumberland, 4 miles (W.) from Morpeth; containing 59 inhabitants. This place has successively belonged to the families of Bertram, Eure,
Reveley, and Mitford: Henry Reveley Mitford, Esq., is
the present proprietor. The township comprises about
900 acres, of which 875 are arable, meadow, and pasture, and 25 woodland and plantations; the surface is
pleasingly varied, and the village occupies an eminence
commanding extensive prospects over both land and sea.
The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £72.
16. 7. At Whittle Hill was a camp, of which the intrenchments have been removed for repairing roads, and
the site almost obliterated by the plough: near the spot
is an ancient barrow, in which coins have been found.
THROPTON, a township, in the parish and union of
Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 1½ mile (W. by N.) from
Rothbury; containing 207 inhabitants. It comprises
835 acres, of which 670 are arable, 113 meadow and
pasture, 10 woodland and plantations, and the remainder
roads and waste. The surface is beautifully undulated;
the soil in the valley is a rich loam, but on the hills rocky
and less fertile. There are some quarries of excellent
stone for building, two of which belong to the Duke of
Northumberland. The village is situated near the confluence of the river Coquet and the Wreigh burn; the
former is a remarkably fine trout stream, winding through
a picturesque vale, and over the latter is a substantial
bridge, erected by subscription in 1810, to replace a
structure that had fallen down some years before. At
the eastern and western extremities of the village were
stone crosses, which have disappeared within the last
age. In the village are the remains of three strongholds
and a border tower, used as places of security for cattle
and other property during time of warfare; and on
a hill about half a mile distant, are some remains of a
Roman camp. The tithes have been commuted for
£175. 17. 6. Here is a place of worship for Presbyterians; and a Roman Catholic chapel, to which a house
is attached, with about 8 acres of land, has been recently
enlarged and repaired.
THROSTON, a township, in the parish of Hart,
union of Stockton, N. E. division of Stockton ward,
S. division of the county of Durham, 3¾ miles (W.) from
Hartlepool; containing 101 inhabitants. This district,
which adjoins Tunstall in the parish of Strantou, has
always formed part of the Hart estate, or belonged to
the same proprietors. It was conveyed, with Hart, by
the Earl of Cumberland to Lord Lumley in 1586; and
was also included in the sale of the Hart property for
£72,000, by the Earl of Scarborough to Sir George
Pocock, in 1772. The township comprises about 1050
acres, and the village is situated a mile and a half southsouth-east of Hart. The impropriate tithes have been
commuted for £201. 5., and the vicarial for £28. 12.
THROWLEY, a parish, in the union of Oakhampton, hundred of Wonford, Wonford and S. divisions
of Devon, 6¾ miles (E. S. E.) from Oakhampton; containing 445 inhabitants. It comprises about 1800 acres;
the surface is hilly, and the soil in general loose and
sandy. The river Teign forms one of the boundaries.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£19. 6. 10½., and in the patronage of the Crown: the
tithes have been commuted for £172; a house is attached to the benefice, and the glebe contains about 50
acres. The church is a small plain building. There are
some remains of a chapel at Walland Hill.
Throwley (St. Mary)
THROWLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union
and hundred of Faversham, Upper division of the lathe
of Scray, E. division of Kent, 4 miles (S. S. W.) from
Faversham; containing 682 inhabitants. The parish is
situated near the road from Faversham to Ashford, and
comprises by admeasurement 3173 acres, about 2235 of
which are arable land and hop-grounds, 530 orchard and
meadow, 320 wood, and the remainder roads, &c. The
soil is a strong loam, with a considerable admixture of
flints, and rests on chalk. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 11. 8., and in the gift of
the Archbishop of Canterbury: the impropriate tithes
have been commuted for £602. 10.; and the vicarial for
£257, with a glebe of 25 acres. Sir Thomas Sondes in
1592 endowed a free school, which has merged into a
national school established in 1814; there are also three
almshouses, founded by the same family. The vicaragehouse occupies the site of a priory, a cell to the abbey
of St. Bertin, at St. Omers, in Artois, and which was
granted in the 22nd of Henry VI. to Sion Abbey.
THROWLEY, a hamlet, in the parish of Ilam, N.
division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the
county of Stafford, 7¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Ashbourn; containing 69 inhabitants. This place was the
seat of the Meverells, a family of high antiquity, of whom
Arthur Meverell was prior of Tutbury at the Dissolution.
The Cromwells subsequently held the lands, and occupied Throwley Hall, now a farmhouse.
THROXENBY, a township, in the parish of Scalby,
union of Scarborough, Pickering lythe, N. riding of
York, 2½ miles (W.) from Scarborough; containing 71
inhabitants. It comprises about 400 acres: the village
is situated a mile north-west of Falsgrave.