UPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Blewberry,
union of Wantage, hundred of Moreton, county of
Berks, 4¾ miles (N. N. E.) from East Ilsley; containing, with the liberty of Nottingham-Fee, 284 inhabitants,
and an area of 1330a. 3r. 30p. The chapel is a very
Upton (St. Lawrence)
UPTON (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of
Eton, hundred of Stoke, county of Buckingham, 3
miles (N. W. by W.) from Colnbrook; containing, with
the chapelry of Chalvey and part of the town of Slough,
2296 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the great
Bath road, about a mile from the river Thames, and the
Great Western railway passes through it. The living is
a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£6. 17., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £220; impropriator, W. Bousey, Esq. Certain
tithes were exchanged for land and a money payment in
1808, and some impropriate tithes have been just commuted for a rent-charge of £239. The church, which
is said to have been partly built before the Conquest, has
a fine Norman doorway, and is principally in that style.
At Chalvey is a chapel of ease, towards the erection of
which the late king gave £100, the Queen Dowager £50,
and the impropriator and incumbent £200 each; it is a
handsome edifice in the Norman style, adapted for a
congregation of 800. There is a place of worship for
Independents. Benjamin Lane, in 1720, bequeathed a
rent-charge of £20, for clothing six men and six women,
and distributing some bibles annually. In this parish
is situated the workhouse of the Eton union. The late
Sir William Herschel, the celebrated astronomer, resided and was buried here; and his son, the present
Sir John F. Herschel, Bart., was born and resides in the
UPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Dinton, union
and hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham;
containing 94 inhabitants.
UPTON, a township, in the parish of St. Mary,
Chester, union of Great Boughton, Lower division
of the hundred of Broxton, S. division of the county
of Chester, 2¼ miles (N.) from Chester; containing
437 inhabitants. It comprises 911 acres, of partly a
sand and partly a clay soil. The Chester and Birkenhead railway passes through the township. The tithes
have been commuted for £91. 6. payable to an impropriator, £40 to the rector of St. Mary's, and £3. 15. to
the Dean and Chapter of Chester. A small school is
supported by subscription.
UPTON, a township, in the parish of Prestbury,
union and hundred of Macclesfield, N. division of the
county of Chester, 1½ mile (N. W.) from Macclesfield;
containing 85 inhabitants, and comprising 422 acres.
UPTON, a parish, in the union, and Lower division
of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county
of Chester, 3 miles (W.) from Birkenhead; containing 237 inhabitants. It comprises 917 acres of land,
the soil of which is clay. A market was held so late as
1662, and there are still two fairs for cattle: a court
leet and baron takes place annually. The lands have
been considerably improved by William Webster, Esq.,
of Upton Hall, who is lord of the manor. The living is
a perpetual curacy; net income, £52; patron, Mr. Webster; impropriator, Sir W. T. Stanley, Bart., whose
tithes have been commuted for £145. The glebe of the
incumbent comprises 19½ acres. The church, formerly
at Overchurch, half a mile distant, was pulled down in
1813, and a new church erected in the village: the old
cemetery is still used.
UPTON, a tything, in the parish of Hawkesbury,
union of Chipping-Sodbury, Upper division of the
hundred of Grumbald's-Ash, W. division of the county
of Gloucester; containing 758 inhabitants. There is
a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Upton (St. Leonard)
UPTON (St. Leonard), a parish, in the Middle
division of the hundred of Dudstone and King'sBarton, union and E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Gloucester; containing 893 inhabitants. The parish is intersected by the
road from Gloucester to Painswick. It comprises 2974a.
1r. 15p., of which 1820 acres are pasture, 800 arable
field land, 200 inclosed arable, 90 wood, 56 in roads and
waste, and 7 common pasture; the soil is principally a
strong clay, but in some parts is sand, stone brash, and
gravel. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£86; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Gloucester
and Bristol. The church is principally Norman; the
tower and some of the details are later English.
Upton (St. Margaret)
UPTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the hundred
of Leightonstone, union and county of Huntingdon,
6 miles (N. W.) from Huntingdon; containing 178 inhabitants. It is situated near the great north road, and
comprises by measurement 1161 acres, of which 915 are
arable, 180 pasture, and 66 wood; the soil is clayey,
and the surface rises gently. In the parish is Standgate
Hill, the original name of which is said to have been
Stand Guard, on account of a watch or guard being
formerly fixed there to prevent robberies: from its
summit are extensive prospects over the fens, and a
view of Peterborough minster, and Whittlesey mere.
The living is a rectory, with that of Coppingford consolidated; net income, £160; patrons, the Montagu
family: the glebe comprises 264 acres of land, allotted
in 1812 in lieu of tithes. The church is partly in the
early English style, with a curious ancient font.
UPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Bexley, union
of Dartford, hundred of Ruxley, lathe of Sutton-atHone, W. division of Kent; with 169 inhabitants.
UPTON, a township, in the parish of Sibson, union
of Market-Bosworth, hundred of Sparkenhoe, S.
division of the county of Leicester, 3¾ miles (S. W.)
from Market-Bosworth; containing 148 inhabitants.
Here was formerly a chapel.
Upton (All Saints)
UPTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Gainsborough, hundred of Well, parts of Lindsey,
county of Lincoln, 5 miles (S. E. by E.) from Gainsborough; containing, with the township of Kexby, 505
inhabitants, of whom 236 are in Upton township. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £7. 4. 2.; net income, £131; patron, Sir W.
A. Ingilby, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land
and a money payment in 1776. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
Upton (St. Margaret)
UPTON (St. Margaret), a parish, in the union of
Blofield, hundred of Walsham, E. division of Norfolk, 1 mile (N.) from Acle; containing 519 inhabitants.
It comprises 1693a. 1r. 8p., of which 655 acres are
arable, 170 marsh-laud cultivated, 753 marsh and water,
26 in homesteads, and 83 road, &c. The navigable river
Bure runs on the north. The living is a discharged
vicarage, united to that of Ranworth, and valued in the
king's books at £5: the tithes have been commuted for
£279. 16. payable to the Bishop of Ely, and £160. 13.
to the vicar; there are 20½ acres of vicarial glebe. The
church, which is chiefly in the later English style, consists of a nave, chancel, and aisles, with a square tower
in ruins. The Primitive Methodists have a place of
Upton (St. Michael)
UPTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the hundred of
Newbottle-Grove, union, and S. division of the county,
of Northampton, 2 miles (W.) from Northampton;
containing 59 inhabitants, and comprising 939 acres.
The living is annexed, with that of Kingsthorpe, to the
rectory of St. Peter's, Northampton. Here are the remains of a castle founded by Simon de St. Liz. James
Harrington, the eminent political writer in the time of
the Commonwealth, was born at Upton Hall.
UPTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Castor, union
and soke of Peterborough, N. division of the county
of Northampton, 2¼ miles (E. N. E.) from Wansford;
containing 112 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000
acres, of which the soil is in some parts gravelly, and in
others clayey; the surface is diversified with hill and
dale. The meadow land is subject to flood, the Nene
flowing through the southern part of the chapelry.
Upton (St. Peter)
UPTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of
Southwell, Southwell division of the wapentake of
Thurgarton, S. division of the county of Nottingham,
2½ miles (E.) from Southwell; containing 601 inhabitants. The parish is on the road from Newark to
Southwell, and comprises 1384 acres: the village is
handsome, and pleasantly situated on a declivity, affording pleasing and extensive views which include Southwell and Lincoln minsters. The living is a discharged
vicarage, in the patronage of the Chapter of Southwell,
valued in the king's books at £4. 11. 5½.; net income,
£100, with a glebe-house, built in 1843. The tithes
were commuted in 1795; the glebe consists of 40 acres.
The church is an ancient edifice with a handsome tower,
and is endowed with lands of the annual value of £20,
for keeping it in repair, the surplus to be given to poor
soldiers travelling through the parish. There is a place
of worship for Wesleyans.
UPTON, with Signet, a hamlet, in the parish of
Burford, union of Witney, hundred of Bampton,
county of Oxford, 1¼ mile (W.) from Burford; containing 218 inhabitants.
Upton (St. James)
UPTON (St. James), a parish, in the union of Dulverton, hundred of Williton and Freemanners, W.
division of Somerset, 7 miles (E. by N.) from Dulverton; containing 358 inhabitants. It is situated on the
road from Brompton-Regis to Wiveliscombe, and comprises 3779a. 25p., of which 323 acres are common or
waste. Stone is quarried for building, and for making
roads. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income,
£50; patron and impropriator, John Bere, Esq., whose
tithes have been commuted for £241. 15.
UPTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Long Sutton,
union of Langport, hundred of Somerton, W. division
of Somerset; containing 192 inhabitants.
UPTON, a tything, in the parish of East Knoyle,
union of Mere, hundred of Downton, Hindon and S.
divisions of Wilts; containing 139 inhabitants.
UPTON, a township, in the parish of Badsworth,
Upper division of the wapentake of Osgoldcross, W.
riding of York, 6¼ miles (S. by E.) from Pontefract;
containing 235 inhabitants. It comprises about 1000
acres; the soil is various, and the substratum abounds
with limestone, much of which is burnt into lime. The
surface is boldly undulated, and on Beacon Hill is a
small tower commanding a fine view of York Minster,
the wolds of Lincolnshire, and the Derbyshire hills.