Vange (All Saints)
VANGE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Billericay, hundred of Barstable, S. division of
Essex, 5 miles (N. E. by E.) from Horndon-on-the-Hill;
containing 169 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on
the south by a creek of the river Thames, and comprehends a low tract of marshy land called Bower's Marsh,
and a portion of Canvey Island. It comprises by computation 1451a. 28p., whereof 895 acres are arable, 484
meadow, 6½ reed land, 3 in homesteads, and 60 glebe.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £14, and in the gift of Sir C. Smith, Bart.:
the tithes have been commuted for £310. The church,
a small ancient edifice, has been lately repaired, and enlarged by the erection of a gallery.
VAULTERSHOME, a tything, in the parish of
Maker, union of St. Germans, S. division of the hundred of East, E. division of Cornwall, 1½ mile (S. by
W.) from Devonport; containing 1156 inhabitants.
Vauxhall, county of Surrey.—See Lambeth.
VAUXHALL, county of Surrey.—See Lambeth.
Veep, St. (St. Cyricius)
VEEP, ST. (St. Cyricius), a parish, in the union of
Liskeard, hundred of West, E. division of Cornwall,
3 miles (N. N. E.) from Fowey; containing 710 inhabitants. This parish is bounded on the west by the navigable river Fowey, on the north by the Leryn, and on
the south by Penpol creek. It is situated midway between Fowey and Lostwithiel, and comprises by computation 2394 acres; the soil is fertile, and the surface
hilly. During the civil war, the royalist cavalry were
quartered here previously to the capitulation of the Earl
of Essex, in 1644. Fairs are held on the Wednesday
before Midsummer-day, and the second Tuesday after
Shrove-Tuesday. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £5. 0. 7½., and in the gift of F. Howell,
Esq.: the rectorial tithes have been commuted for
£320, and the vicarial for £231. 10.; the glebe contains
16 acres, and the parsonage-house is in good repair.
The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Some remains
exist of a small priory founded by one of the earls of
Cornwall as a cell to Montacute Priory, in Somerset,
and dedicated to St. Cyric and St. Juliett. Walter de
Exon, author of a history of Guy, Earl of Warwick, in
the latter part of the 13th century, was an inmate of the
priory, in which he was interred.
Venn-Ottery (St. Gregory)
VENN-OTTERY (St. Gregory), a parish, in the
union of Honiton, hundred of East Budleigh, Woodbury and S. divisions of Devon, 3¼ miles (S. W. by S.)
from Ottery St. Mary; containing 134 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the right bank of the river
Otter, and is divided from the parishes of Aylesbear and
Rockbear, on its western extremity, by a range of hills.
It comprises by measurement 907 acres, of which 497
are arable, 100 meadow or pasture, 4 wood, 280 common or waste, 18 orchard, 16 glebe, and 10 road. The
surface is undulated, rising gently from the river to the
hills, and intersected by several small brooks; the soil
is a strong loam, but in parts sandy and gravelly, with
some marl and clay. The living is a vicarage, endowed
with the rectorial tithes, and annexed to that of Harpford: the tithes have been commuted for £125. The
church is chiefly in the later English style.
VENTNOR, a fashionable watering-place, in the parish of Newchurch, liberty of East Medina, Isle of
Wight division of the county of Southampton, 10 miles
(S. E. by S.) from Newport; containing 970 inhabitants.
This place, which is situated on the southern coast of
the island, has risen into reputation owing to the salubrity of the air, which in the winter season is remarkably mild and dry, shelter being afforded from the north
and east winds by the Undercliff. An act was passed
in 1844 for establishing a market, and for the general
improvement of the place. Stone applicable to building
purposes abounds, and in the vicinity is an excellent
flour-mill. The church here, dedicated to St. Catherine,
is a handsome structure in the early English style, with
a spire 103 feet high, the whole erected at the expense
of John Hambrough, Esq., of Steephill Castle, who is
the patron; it was consecrated on 20th July, 1837, and
contains 500 sittings, one-third of which are free. The
founder also munificently endowed it with £1000, and
erected a parsonage-house, at a cost of £2500. There
are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyan
VERNHAM-DEAN, a parish, in the union of Andover, hundred of Pastrow, Andover and N. divisions
of the county of Southampton, 8 miles (N. by W.) from
Andover; containing 707 inhabitants. It comprises by
computation 3500 acres: the soil is chiefly a strong
clay, resting on a stratum of chalk, but in the valleys is
more loose and gravelly. The living is annexed to the
vicarage of Hurstbourn-Tarrant. The church occupies
a lonely and romantic situation. There is a place of
worship for Wesleyans.
VERWOOD, a tything, in the parish of Cranborne,
union of Wimborne and Cranborne, hundred of
Monckton-up-Wimborne, Wimborne division of Dorset; containing 685 inhabitants.
Veryan (St. Sympholiana)
VERYAN (St. Sympholiana), a parish, in the union
of Truro, W. division of the hundred of Powder and
of the county of Cornwall, 4 miles (S. by W.) from
Tregoney; containing 1569 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 4818 acres, of which 661 are common or
waste. It is situated on a bay of the same name in the
English Channel, by which it is bounded on the south;
and includes the fishing-cove of Portloe, where the inhabitants are principally employed. The road from
Tregoney to St. Mawes passes through it. Stone is
quarried for purposes of husbandry and for cottagebuilding. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £19, and in the gift of the Dean and Chapter
of Exeter: the rectorial tithes have been commuted for
about £770, and the vicarial for £361; the glebe consists of 48 acres, Cornish measure. The church contains
several neat monuments, and an ancient font enriched
with sculpture. There are places of worship for Independents, Wesleyans, and Bryanites; also a national
school endowed with £739 three per cent, consols.
Within a mile of the church is a very large barrow called
the Beacon, from which a fine view is obtained over the
adjacent country, particularly towards the west; and on
the road to Gwenda is a singular mound on the side of
a hill, environed by a fosse.
Virginstow (St. Bridget)
VIRGINSTOW (St. Bridget), a parish, in the
union of Holsworthy, hundred of Lifton, Lifton and
S. divisions of Devon, 6¼ miles (N. E. by N.) from
Launceston; containing 167 inhabitants. The parish
comprises 800 acres, of which 400 are common or waste.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Crown:
the tithes have been commuted for £115, and the glebe
contains 40 acres.
Virley (St. Mary)
VIRLEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lexden and Winstree, hundred of Winstree, N. division
of Essex, 8¼ miles (S. S. W.) from Colchester; containing 68 inhabitants. Virley creek, in the parish, is
navigable to the sea. The living is a discharged rectory,
valued in the king's books at £7. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. C. S. Coxwell: the tithes have been
commuted for £155, and there are 18 acres of glebe.
Vowchurch (St. Bartholomew)
VOWCHURCH (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in
the union of Dore, hundred of Webtree, county of
Hereford, 10 miles (W. by S.) from Hereford; containing 355 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the
"Golden valley," and on the river Dore, celebrated as a
fine trout stream. It is intersected by the road from
Hereford to Hay, and comprises 2583a. 3r. 33p., whereof
1022 acres are arable, 1223 meadow and pasture, and
338 woodland and coppice. Stone is quarried, chiefly
for building and for tiling. The living is a discharged
vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 9.; net income, £200; patron, the Prebendary of Putson Major
in the Cathedral of Hereford. The church is very ancient, and remarkable for its fine oak roof supported on
large pillars of the same material. There was a chapel
at Monington-Straddel, but it was pulled down some
few years since, no clergyman being resident at the time.
A free school is partly supported with the interest of
£100; and the poor have some small bequests. In the
neighbourhood is a square encampment.
VOWMINE, a township, partly in the parish of
Clifford, hundred of Huntington, and partly in the
parish of Dorstone, hundred of Webtree, union of
Hay, county of Hereford, 4 miles (E. by S.) from
Hay; containing 97 inhabitants.