Walton - Walton, Wood

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

453-457

Citation Show another format:

'Walton - Walton, Wood', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 453-457. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51374 Date accessed: 22 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Walton (St. Michael)

WALTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 2 miles (N. by E.) from Fenny-Stratford; containing 103 inhabitants. The parish comprises 757 acres, of which 24 are common or waste land. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 9. 7., and in the gift of the Rev. Valentine Ellis: the tithes have been commuted for £195; there is a parsonagehouse, and the glebe contains 48¼ acres.

Walton

WALTON, a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; containing 440 inhabitants, of whom 152 are in High Walton, 10½ miles, and 288 in Low Walton, 10 miles, (N. E. by E.) from Carlisle. The parish comprises 3592 acres, of which 500 are undivided moor and peat moss; the soil is generally argillaceous, interspersed with patches of fine loam. The surface is gently undulated, and the lower lands are watered by two small rivulets, called the Cambeck and Kingwater, which flow into the Irthing. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £131; patron, Joseph Dacre, Esq.; impropriator, W. P. Johnson, Esq. The church was rebuilt in 1813. The great tithes have been commuted for £176, and the small for £31. 7. The old Roman wall crossed the parish, which contained the station Petriana, whose site is now called Castle Steads: numerous inscriptions and other relics of antiquity have been discovered.

Walton

WALTON, a township, in the parish and union of Chesterfield, hundred of Scarsdale, Northern division of the county of Derby, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Chesterfield; containing 940 inhabitants.

Walton

WALTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Deerhurst, poor-law union of Tewkesbury, Lower division of the hundred of Westminster, Eastern division of the county of Gloucester, 3¼ miles (S.) from Tewkesbury; containing 257 inhabitants.

Walton

WALTON, a hamlet, in the parishes of Kimcote and Knaptoft, union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, Southern division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (N. E. by E.) from Lutterworth; containing 647 inhabitants.

Walton

WALTON, a hamlet, in the parish of Paston, union and soke of Peterborough, Northern division of the county of Northampton, 2¾ miles (N. N. W.) from Peterborough; containing 179 inhabitants.

Walton

WALTON, a hamlet, in the parish of King's-Sutton, poor-law union of Brackley, hundred of King'sSutton, Southern division of the county of Northampton; containing 37 inhabitants.

Walton (Holy Trinity)

WALTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Wells, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 3 miles (S. W. by W.) from Glastonbury; containing 782 inhabitants. It is situated on the road from Bath to Exeter, and comprises 2500 acres, of which 181 are common or waste: blue lias is quarried, chiefly for walls and floors. The living is annexed to the rectory of Street: the tithes have been commuted for £380, and there is a parsonage-house, with about 18½ acres of glebe land. The church was enlarged in 1837, when a new tower was also built: the chancel is said to have been much injured by Cromwell's soldiers, who used it as a stable; it has been restored, and the windows reopened, and ornamented with stained glass. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans. Many valuable fossils are found in the quarries.

Walton, in the parish of Baswich, Southern division of Staffordshire.—See Baswich.

WALTON, in the parish of Baswich, Southern division of Staffordshire.—See Baswich.

Walton

WALTON, a township, in the parish of Eccleshall, union of Stone, N. division of the hundred of Pirehill and of the county of Stafford, 1½ mile (S. E.) from the town of Eccleshall; containing 113 inhabitants. It lies on the road from Stafford to Chester, and comprises 1265 acres, of elevated and undulating surface, and of a heavy soil. The Norton-Bridge station of the Birmingham and Liverpool railway is distant two miles. On the right of the road is a large and handsome stone mansion in the Roman style, built by Henry Killick, Esq. The tithes have been commuted for £1. 18. 8. payable to the vicar, and £152. 1. to the Bishop of Lichfield.

Walton

WALTON, a liberty, in the parish and union of Stone, S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, N. division of the county of Stafford, ½ a mile (S.) from the town of Stone; containing 226 inhabitants.

Walton (St. Mary)

WALTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Woodbridge, hundred of Colneis, E. division of Suffolk, 10 miles (S. E. by E.) from Ipswich; containing 907 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the northeast by the river Deben, on the south-west by Harwich harbour, and on the south by the North Sea. It comprises about 1200 acres; the soil is generally a rich loam, and the surface flat. On the shore is a Martello tower, for the defence of the coast; and some small remains still exist of Walton Castle, a stronghold of the Bigods, in the parish of Felixstow, anciently a Roman station; it had the privilege of a mint, and large quantities of Roman coins have been found on the site. The living is a discharged vicarage endowed with the rectorial tithes, with that of Felixstow annexed, and valued in the king's books at £4. 6. 8.; net income, £290; patrons, the family of Richards. Here is a place of worship for Baptists.

Walton

WALTON, a tything, in the parish of Bosham, union of West Bourne, hundred of Bosham, rape of Chichester, Western division of Sussex; containing 91 inhabitants.

Walton (St. Peter)

WALTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the Ainsty wapentake, W. riding of York, 2½ miles (E. by S.) from Wetherby; containing 254 inhabitants. The parish comprises about 167O acres of fertile land, mostly the property of G. L. Fox, Esq., who is lord of the manor: the village is pleasantly situated a short distance from the river Wharfe, which passes on the west and south. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £90; patrons and impropriators, C. A. Fischer, Esq., and another. The church, a neat structure, stands on an eminence. The Roman Watling-street crosses the river at a place named St. Helen's, and passes through the parish to Rudgate.

Walton

WALTON, a township, in the parish of Great Sandall, union of Wakefield, Lower division of the wapentake of Agbrigg, W. riding of York, 3 miles (S. E. by S.) from Wakefield; containing 510 inhabitants. Walton Hall is the seat of Charles Waterton, Esq., author of a volume of Essays on natural history, and of Wanderings in South America. The Barnsley canal and the Midland railway pass through the township. About 20 persons are employed in some soap and alkali works, established in 1820. A school is endowed with £6. 6. per annum.

Walton-Cardiff (St. James)

WALTON-CARDIFF (St. James), a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Tewkesbury, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 1¼ mile (E. S. E.) from Tewkesbury; containing 69 inhabitants. It comprises by admeasurement 650 acres, consisting of about equal portions of arable and pasture land of good quality. The road from Tewkesbury to Evesham passes along the northern boundary; the river Severn runs at a short distance on the west, and the Gloucester and Birmingham railway on the east. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £53; patrons, All Souls' College, Oxford.

Walton-Deivile (St. James)

WALTON-DEIVILE (St. James), an ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Wellesbourn-Hastings, Warwick division of the hundred of Kington, union of Stratford-on-Avon, S. division of the county of Warwick, 6 miles (E. S. E.) from Stratford-on-Avon; containing about 200 inhabitants. The manor, in the reign of Henry III., was the property of Walter d'Avill, one of the justices of assize for the county; it afterwards passed to the family of Strange, from whom it descended by marriage with a female heir, in the reign of Henry VIII., to Robert Mordaunt, ancestor of the present lord. The place forms a beautiful valley, well wooded. Walton Hall, the seat of Sir John Mordaunt, Bart., occupies a low situation, but is surrounded by a diversified tract of country. The living of Walton was separated from that of Wellesbourn-Hastings in 1843. It is now a distinct perpetual curacy, in the patronage of Sir John Mordaunt, who has endowed it with £115 per annum, and the use of a house for the minister, in the park. The church stands near the mansion, and is remarkable for the modesty and simplicity of its architecture, which is Grecian; it was enlarged, and the windows filled with stained glass, in 1843: the font belonged to an ancient Norman church which stood on the same site. The tithe, commuted for £217; and the glebe, comprising 45 acres; belong to the incumbent of WellesbournHastings: the rectory is valued in the king's books at £4. 13. 4. A school is supported by the Mordaunt family. Skeletons are frequently dug up, showing that this was formerly a more considerable place.

Walton, East (St. Mary)

WALTON, EAST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Freebridge-Lynn, W. division of Norfolk, 9 miles (E. S. E.) from Lynn; containing 196 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2643 acres, which are all arable, with the exception of 100 woodland, and 200 warren and common. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £6. 3. 4., and with the rectory of Gayton-Thorpe united; patron, A. Hamond, Esq.; appropriator, the Bishop of Ely. The great tithes of the parish have been commuted for £230, and the vicarial for £178; the glebe comprises an acre and a quarter, and there is a glebe-house. The church consists of a nave and chancel, with a circular tower. In the garden of a farmhouse adjoining the churchyard, are the picturesque ruins of St. Andrew's chapel, formerly belonging to a priory.

Walton Inferior

WALTON INFERIOR, a township, in the parish and union of Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2 miles (S.) from Warrington; containing 349 inhabitants. It comprises 1026 acres, partly a sandy soil, and partly moss. The Mersey and Irwell canal passes in the vicinity. The township is included in the incumbency of StocktonHeath.

Walton-In-Gordano (St. Paul)

WALTON-IN-GORDANO (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury, E. division of Somerset, 14 miles (W.) from Bristol; containing 217 inhabitants. This manor was owned by Ralph de Mortimer, kinsman of William the Conqueror; some of his family were earls of March, and under them the manor was held for several generations by Richard de Walton and his descendants. The parish is bounded on the west by the Bristol Channel, and is situated about two miles north of Clevedon, a favourite wateringplace, nearly opposite to Cardiff. It comprises 1153a. 2r. 22p., of which 120 acres are common or waste land. Stone is abundant, and there is a quarry. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 15. 5., and in the gift of P. J. Miles, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £180, and the glebe comprises 25 acres. The church is a plain edifice, built about 1710, and enlarged to nearly double its original size in 1838. Some remains exist of a more ancient church at the foot of the hill occupied by Walton Castle, an octangular pile, embattled, and crowned at each angle with a turret; the principal entrance to the castle is on the east, and the keep is in the centre of the area.

Walton-Le-Dale

WALTON-LE-DALE, a township and chapelry, in the parish, and Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, union of Preston, N. division of Lancashire, 2 miles (S. E.) from Preston; the township containing 6659 inhabitants. Waletune, in Saxon times, was held by the crown. The manor was granted by the first Henry de Lacy, probably about 1130, to Robert Banastre, from whose family it passed in marriage to the Langtons, with whom it remained till the reign of Elizabeth, when it was made over to the Hoghton family. Walton is distinguished as the scene of part of the great battle fought August 17th, 1648, between Cromwell and the Duke of Hamilton; and also for a gallant achievement performed in 1715 by General, or Parson, Wood, and his congregation, in defending the passage of the Ribble against the Scottish rebels. In 1701, the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Derwentwater, and other leaders of the Jacobites, incorporated themselves by the style of the "Mayor and Corporation of the ancient Borough of Walton," and held their meetings in a small public house here, concealing their real motives under the guise of ludicrous transactions. They kept a register, a mace, a sword of state, and other mock insignia of office; and notwithstanding the diminution in the number of its members by the unsuccessful rebellion of 1715, the society existed till about fifty years since, when it was entirely dissolved.

The township adjoins the borough of Preston, to which it may be considered as suburban; and extends southward from the bank of the river Ribble, which is. here joined by the Darwen. It comprises 4239 acres, whereof the greater part is pasture, with a portion of arable, and of wood. The eminence on which the chapel is built, commands a fine view of Ribble dale on one side, and the vale of the Darwen on the other. Both of the valleys are extremely picturesque, the banks of their respective rivers being steep, and richly clothed with wood. The background of the Ribble is formed by the high and extensive ranges of Longridge and Pendle; and that of the Darwen by Billinge Hill, and an abrupt elevation crowned with the ruins of Hoghton Tower, the ancient baronial residence of the Hoghtons. There are four large cotton manufactories, of which the Flats mills of William Calvert, Esq., employ 400 hands, and the Moons mill of Messrs. James Livesey and Son 130 hands. In the township are also a cotton-printing concern, and an iron-foundry belonging to Robert Whittaker, Esq., established in 1800. The Blackburn and Preston railway runs through Walton from east to west; and a tramroad, connecting the north and south levels of the Lancaster canal, traverses it in the same direction. Among the seats are, Cooper Hill, that of Charles Swainson, Esq.; and Walton Lodge, of William Calrow, Esq. Walton Hall, long a seat of the Hoghton family, was pulled down in 1836; the park and gardens still remain. The living is a perpetual curacy, with a net income of £156, and a house; patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The tithes of the township have been commuted for £387. 3. 3. The chapel, dedicated to St. Leonard, is principally in the later English style, with a tower: in the chancel are a number of monuments, chiefly to members of the Hoghton family. At Bamber-Bridge (which see) is a second incumbency. A school built in 1672 is endowed with about £16 per annum; and a national school, built in 1835, is supported by subscription.

Walton-Le-Soken, or Walton-on-the-Naze (All Saints)

WALTON-LE-SOKEN, or Walton-on-the-Naze (All Saints), a parish, in the union and hundred of Tendring, N. division of Essex, 13½ miles (S. E. by E.) from Manningtree; containing 721 inhabitants. This parish, which is bounded on three sides by the sea, forms a noted promontory, called the Naze from the Saxon term signifying a nose of land. Imbedded in the clay which composes the basis of the cliffs, have been discovered, usually after the ebbing of very strong tides, some curious fossils, the tusks of elephants, and the horns bones, and teeth of other huge animals. The shore abounds with pyrites chiefly of wood, of which immense quantities have been manufactured here into the crystal commonly called green copperas, or sulphate of iron; and nodules of argillaceous clay, which continually fall from the cliffs and harden into stone, are gathered and conveyed to London and Harwich, for making Roman cement. The beach is a delightful promenade, and affords superior facilities for bathing, the tides leaving a firm smooth sand several miles in extent; which advantages have, of late years, occasioned a number of persons to resort hither. A highly respectable hotel, and some lodging-houses, have been erected. An act was passed in 1841, for making certain improvements in the village. Adjoining the Hall is a square tower, built by the corporation of the Trinity House, as a mark to guide ships passing or entering the port of Harwich. The living is a discharged vicarage, consolidated with that of Kirby, and valued in the king's books at £9: impropriators, the Hope Insurance Company, London; the great tithes have been commuted for £270, and those of the vicar for £133. The church was erected and consecrated by Bishop Porteus, in 1804, the ancient structure having, a few years previously, been entirely swept away by the sea, as well as the churchyard and every house near it but one; it was enlarged in 1832, but being still inadequate, a further augmentation took place in 1835, at an expense of about £1000. Here was the endowment of a prebend in St. Paul's Cathedral; it has long since been consumed by the encroachment of the sea, and the dignity is now held as Prebenda consumpta per Mare. The poor have about 35 acres of land, left chiefly by John Sadler in 1563.

Walton-On-The-Hill (St. Mary)

WALTON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of West Derby, S. division of Lancashire; containing 37,917 inhabitants, of whom 2454 are in Walton township, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Liverpool, on the road to Preston. In the time of Edward the Confessor, Winestan, a Saxon, held Waletone; and soon after the Conquest a family named Waleton or Walton is mentioned as having possessions here. By a charter of the 2nd of John, the king granted all his land in Waleton to Richard de Mida, son of Gilbert de Waleton; and the same family is named in connexion with various legal acts in subsequent reigns. In the reign of Henry IV. the Fazakerleys acquired the third part of Walton, including Spellawe or Spellow House, by marriage with an heiress of the Waltons; this estate was held by the late Colonel Fazakerley, and was sold by his family to the Earl of Derby. In the 15th century, Roger Walton died without male issue, and his two daughters carried their inheritance to their husbands. Margaret, the elder, married William Chorley, of Chorley: after the rebellion of 1715, the estate of the Chorleys, which was one-third of Walton, passed by sale to the Cromptons, who subsequently sold the property. Elizabeth, the younger daughter, conveyed her portion, also a third, with Walton Hall, to Richard Cross, Esq., of Liverpool and Cross Hall. This last family terminated in an heiress who intermarried with the Briers, by whom the estate was sold in 1746 to the Athertons. From the Athertons the property passed by sale to Thomas Leyland, Esq., who died in 1827, and was succeeded by his nephew, R. B. Leyland, Esq.

The parish consists of the district parish of West Derby; the chapelries of Everton, Formby, and Kirkby; and the townships of Bootle with Linacre, Fazakerley, Kirkdale, Simonswood, and Walton. The area of the whole is 22,195 acres, and the lands are irrigated by the river Alt and the Rimrose brook, both tributary to the Mersey, which for the most part bounds the parish on the west: much of the soil is arable. In Walton township are 2230 acres. This locality presents an extremely pleasing appearance, and abounds in handsome mansions and villas; from Walton Hill are most extensive views, including the town of Liverpool, the Welsh hills, and the mountains of Cumberland. Among the best houses are Walton Hall, the residence of Richard Naylor, Esq.; Walton Priory, that of Robert Ellison Harvey, Esq.; and several detached mansions on Breeze Hill. On the side of the Ormskirk road is the unique establishment of Charles Whitfield Harvey, Esq., the successful rearer of prize-cattle; and Spellow House, an ancient mansion of stone, is surrounded by a large tract of land, appropriated by Mr. William Skirving to the rearing of foresttrees and nursery-plants in general, including those of the most rare description.

The living is a rectory and vicarage, with a net income of £1300; patron, John Shaw Leigh, Esq., of Luton-Hoo, Beds. The church, which, up to 1698, was the mother church of Liverpool, was mostly rebuilt in 1829, at a cost of £5000; and is a noble structure in the early English style, with decorated portions, and a tower and pinnacles. From its great elevation, it is a conspicuous object in the surrounding scenery, and serves as a landmark. The interior is very beautiful, with a stained-wood roof, and east and west windows of painted glass: of the numerous monuments, one, a bust of the late Thomas Leyland, Esq., of Walton Hall, banker, is by Chantrey; another, to the father of the patron, is an elegant figure. The churchyard was enlarged in 1847. A district called Walton Breck, having a population of 1500, has lately been formed, of which the living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of William Brown, Esq., M.P.; net income, £250. The church, built in 1847, and dedicated to the Holy Trinity, is a cruciform structure in the early English style, with a tower surmounted by a graceful spire; and cost £5000. The interior is very neat, and is enriched by a beautiful eastern window of painted glass, executed by Messrs. Ballantine and Allan, of Edinburgh, and presented to the church by William Tyrer, Esq., of Breck-road, Everton; it is emblematical of the Trinity. Other churches are described in the several articles on the townships and on the district parish of West Derby. The day and Sunday schools in the parish are very numerous: in Walton is a school endowed with £43 per annum, and a house; also a girls' and infants' school, for which a house was built in 1847.

Walton-On-The-Hill (St. Peter)

WALTON-ON-THE-HILL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Reigate, First division of the hundred of Copthorne, W. division of Surrey, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Epsom; containing 362 inhabitants. This parish is situated between Epsom and Reigate, at the distance of about a mile from the London and Brighton road by way of Sutton. It comprises 2591a. 1r. 23p., a considerable portion of which is open down and common; the soil consists of gravel, chalk, and clay, variously disposed. The surface is very hilly, and the eminences are covered with an extensive range of woods, remarkable for a profusion of wild strawberries, and containing many valuable botanical plants; the scenery in every direction is beautiful, and from the southern extremity of the parish, fine views may be had of the Surrey hills and valleys, and also of the Sussex Downs. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £12. 6. 5½.; patron, Capt. Carew: the tithes have been commuted for £340, and the glebe consists of 46 acres. The body of the church having fallen into decay, was rebuilt in 1826, by the parishioners; and an elegant octagonal tower was erected at the expense of Mrs. A. Paston Gee: the chancel contains some remains of stained glass; and there is a curious leaden font, formed with nine compartments, in each of which is a figure in a sitting posture. Roman tiles and pottery have been dug up in an inclosure on Walton Heatb, an ancient earthwork; where also a brass figure of Æsculapius has been found. In the parish are some springs, the water of which is of a mineral quality.

Walton-On-The-Wolds (St. Mary)

WALTON-ON-THE-WOLDS (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Barrow-upon-Soar, hundred of East Goscote, N. division of the county of Leicester, 4 miles (E.) from Loughborough; containing 285 inhabitants. The parish is bounded on the west by the river Soar, and is intersected by the road from Loughborough to Melton-Mowbray: it comprises 1500 acres by admeasurement. Limestone is quarried for agricultural purposes. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £15; net income, £403; patron, the Rev. Augustus Packe. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1792: there is a parsonagehouse, and the glebe altogether contains 289 acres. The church is a neat brick edifice, built in 1739. There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists.

Walton-On-Trent (St. John the Baptist)

WALTON-ON-TRENT (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Burton, hundred of Repton and Gresley, S. division of the county of Derby, 4 miles (S. W.) from Burton; containing 472 inhabitants. The parish lies on the east bank of the Trent, and comprises 2273a. 1r. 32p., in equal portions of arable and grass land, with about 43 acres of wood and plantations. The village is large and well built. Edward II. forded the Trent here in pursuit of Thomas, Earl of Lancaster, and the disaffected barons. In 1833, an act was obtained for building a bridge over the river to Barton-underNeedwood, in Staffordshire; the structure is of iron and wood, rests on iron piles, and cost £5500, raised in £10 shares. The Birmingham and Derby railroad passes through the parish. The Hall is a handsome mansion in the village. The living is a rectory, with that of Rosliston annexed, valued in the king's books at £17. 2. 8½.; net income, £828; patrons, the Townshend family. The tithes of Walton have been commuted for £656. 18.; there is a parsonage-house, and the glebe contains 69 acres. The church, a neat edifice with a very beautiful east window, was a few years since repaired at a considerable expense, defrayed by subscription; it contains several ancient tombs. A school on the national system is partly supported with £20 a year arising from land bequeathed in 1760.

Walton Superior

WALTON SUPERIOR, a township, in the parish and union of Runcorn, hundred of Bucklow, N. division of the county of Chester, 2¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Warrington; containing 229 inhabitants. It comprises 1124 acres, of which the soil is partly clay and partly sand. The Duke of Bridgewater's Canal and the Liverpool and Birmingham railway pass in the vicinity.

Walton-Upon-Thames (St. Mary)

WALTON-UPON-THAMES (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Chertsey, First division of the hundred of Elmbridge, W. division of Surrey, 3 miles (N. W.) from Esher, and 18 (S. W. by W.) from London; containing 2537 inhabitants. This place probably derived its name from some formidable works yet visible within its limits, the principal of which, on St. George's Hill, is styled Cæsar's Camp. Cæsar here gave battle to Cassivelaunus at the head of the Britons; and though that chieftain had taken the precaution of driving stakes into the bed of the Thames, the Romans, by vigorous efforts, passed the river at a place still called Cowey Stakes. The area of the parish is 6730 acres. The village is pleasantly situated on the bank of the river, and is much frequented by anglers. It derives some importance from the many noble mansions in its immediate neighbourhood, and the elegant villas by which it is surrounded. Here are, Ashley Park, popularly said to be one of the numerous mansions built by Cardinal Wolsey; Oatlands, at one time the property of the late Duke of York, partly in this parish and partly in that of Weybridge, the boundary line passing through the house; Apps Court, of which the ancient building has given place to a modern and elegant mansion; Burwood Park; Burwood House; Burhill; Silvermere; and Pains-Hill. A house, now dilapidated, is mentioned as having been the seat of Bradshaw, who presided at the trial of Charles I.: it was afterwards occupied by Judge Jeffreys. A curious wooden bridge of three arches, over the Thames, was built about 1750, by S. Dicker, Esq.; and more recently, another of brick and stone, of fifteen arches, across the low meadows, was added to it: the former, falling to decay, was replaced by the present structure, built uniformly with that which remained, and both now appear as one bridge of considerable length and beauty. The London and South-Western railway intersects the parish, and a station has been established here. A fair for cattle, granted by Henry VIII., is held on Wednesday and Thursday in Easter-week.

The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £12. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Crown; net income, £209; impropriator, J. W. Spicer, Esq., whose tithes have been commuted for £91. 18. The church is a structure of some antiquity, and contains many fine monuments, of which the most conspicuous is one by Roubilliac, to the memory of Richard Boyle, Viscount Shannon, who distinguished himself at the memorable battle of the Boyne: several members of the Rodney family, Lilly the astrologer, and other remarkable persons, have been buried here. Trinity chapel, Hersham, was built at an expense of £2600, and is a neat edifice in the early Norman style, containing 472 sittings, half of which are free; it was consecrated on the 8th of November, 1839. The living was endowed with £1000 by Sir H. Fletcher, and is in the Vicar's gift. There is a place of worship for Independents. Thomas Fenner, in 1635, bequeathed a messuage in the parish of St. Helen, Bishopsgate, now producing £210 per annum, which sum is appropriated to the relief of 20 poor families, and the apprenticing of boys. Admiral Lord Rodney was born at Walton in 1718.

Walton, West (St. Mary)

WALTON, WEST (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wisbech, hundred of Freebridge-Marshland, W. division of Norfolk, 3 miles (N. by E.) from Wisbech; containing 954 inhabitants. The parish comprises 5219a. 4p., of which 3058 acres are arable, and 2052 meadow and pasture: the river Nene divides off a portion of the land, about 600 acres, which is in the Isle of Ely. The living is a rectory in medieties, called respectively Lewis and Eliensis, the former valued in the king's books at £16. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. C. H. Townshend, the latter valued at £16, and in the gift of the Crown: the tithes of Lewis have been commuted for £802, and those of Eliensis for £572. 17., with a glebe of 6 acres. The church is an extremely beautiful structure in the early and decorated English styles, with a massive and highly-enriched tower detached from the building, and forming an arched entrance into the churchyard. The south porch is an elegant specimen of the early English style; and the tower, which consists of three stages, with a parapet and pinnacles, is profusely ornamented with series of arches. The interior, which is 130 feet in length and 65 in breadth, though much defaced by injudicious alterations and additions, retains numerous interesting details. There are places of worship for Independents and Primitive Methodists. Mrs. Dale, in 1794, left £750 three per cent, consols, for teaching children; and thirty acres of land, producing £91. 5. per annum, have been bequeathed to the poor.

Walton, Wood (St. Andrew)

WALTON, WOOD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Norman-Cross, union and county of Huntingdon, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Huntingdon; containing 273 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11, and in the gift of Admiral Hussey: the tithes have been commuted for £530, and the glebe comprises 22 acres.