Weston, Alconbury - Weston-Zoyland

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Samuel Lewis (editor)

Year published

1848

Supporting documents

Pages

524-527

Citation Show another format:

'Weston, Alconbury - Weston-Zoyland', A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 524-527. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51392 Date accessed: 20 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Weston, Alconbury.—See Alconbury.

WESTON, ALCONBURY.—See Alconbury.

Weston-Bamfyld (Holy Cross)

WESTON-BAMFYLD (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of Wincanton, hundred of Catsash, E. division of Somerset, 5¾ miles (S. S. W.) from Castle-Cary; containing 133 inhabitants, and comprising 606 acres. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £8. 15. 10., and in the gift of the Rev. J. Goldesbrough: the tithes have been commuted for £169.14., and the glebe comprises 22 acres. The church is a small and very ancient edifice, with an octagonal tower.

Weston-Beggard (All Saints)

WESTON-BEGGARD (All Saints), a parish, in the hundred of Radlow, union and county of Hereford, 5 miles (E.) from Hereford; containing 300 inhabitants. The parish is situated on the right bank of the river Froome, and consists of 931 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5.15.3.; net income, £135; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Hereford; impropriator, the Warden of St. Catherine's Hospital, Ledbury, whose tithes have been commuted for £65.

Weston-Birt (St.Catherine)

WESTON-BIRT (St. Catherine), a parish, in the uuion of Tetbury, hundred of Longtree, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 3¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Tetbury; containing 154 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 2., and in the gift of R. Holford, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £113. 5., and the glebe comprises 85 acres.

Weston-By-Welland (St. Mary)

WESTON -BY- WELLAND (St. Mary,) a parish, in the union of Market-Harborough, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 3 miles (N. E.) from Harborough; containing 199 inhabitants. The parish is on the river Welland, and comprises 984a. 3r. 32p. There are some quarries of stone, chiefly for the roads; and a few of the inhabitants are employed in weaving. The living is a vicarage, with that of SuttonBassett united, valued in the king's books at £ 11. 17. 1.; net income, £260; patron and incumbent, the Rev. James Halke. On the inclosure in 1802, 164a. 2r. 10p. were allotted in lieu of the tithes for both livings. The church is in the early English style of architecture, with a handsome tower.

Weston, Cold (St. Mary)

WESTON, COLD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ludlow, hundred of Munslow, S.division of Salop, 5¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Ludlow; containing 31 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 430 acres, is situated east of Corve-dale, at a high elevation, as the term Cold imports. About a fourth part of the land is arable; the surface is undulated, the soil a clayey loam, and the scenery embraces an extensive view of the vale, which takes its name from the river Corve. There are quarries of good limestone and flagstone. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £2.8.4.; net income, £100; patron, Frederick Herbert Cornwall, Esq. The church is a small plain edifice, built about a century ago, by the Rev. Mr. Fosbrooke, the then rector, to whose memory it has a monument.

Weston-Colley

WESTON-COLLEY, a tything, in the parish and hundred of Mitcheldever, union of Winchester, Winchester and Northern divisions of the county of Southampton, 8 miles (N. by E.) from Winchester; containing 106 inhabitants.

Weston-Colville, (St. Mary)

WESTON-COLVILLE, (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Linton, hundred of Radfield, county of Cambridge, 6 miles (N. E. by N.) from Linton; containing 530 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £21.13. 6½.; net income, £200; patron, John Hall, Esq. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in the year 1777.

Weston-Coney (St. Mary)

WESTON-CONEY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Thetford, hundred of Blackbourn, W. division of Suffolk, 4 miles (N. N. E.) from Ixworth; containing 244 inhabitants, and comprising by measurement 1280 acres. The living is a discharged rectory, annexed to that of Barningham, and valued in the king's books at £13. 0. 5. The church is in the decorated English style. Traces of a Roman road are discernible.

Weston-Corbett

WESTON-CORBETT, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred of Bermondspit, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4 miles (S. E.) from Basingstoke; containing 18 inhabitants, and comprising 450 acres of land.

Weston-Coyney, with Hulme

WESTON-COYNEY, with Hulme, a township, in the parish of Caverswall, union of Cheadle, Northern division of the hundred of Totmonslow and of the county of Stafford, 5 miles (W.) from Cheadle; containing 938 inhabitants.

Weston-Edith.—See Edith-Weston.

WESTON, EDITH.—See Edith-Weston.

Weston-Favell (St. Peter)

WESTON-FAVELL (St. Peter), a parish, in the union and hundred of Spelhoe, S. division of the county of Northampton, 2½ miles (E. N. E.) from Northampton, on the road to Wellingborough; containing 436 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1083 acres: twothirds of the land are arable. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £16. 16. 3.; net income, £236; patron and incumbent, the Rev. R. Hervey Knight. The church is an ancient structure with a tower; the spire was thrown down by lightning in 1723: the interior of the edifice was renovated, and a new gallery substituted for the inconvenient old one, in 1844. A free school was founded, and endowed with £22. 8. per annum, by Harvey Ekins, Esq., and Elizabeth his wife, who also, at the desire of their daughter, created a fund for apprenticing a boy yearly: Thomas Green, in 1739, gave certain lands for the further endowment of the school. The Rev. James Hervey, M.A., author of the Meditations, was incumbent of the parish for many years; he rebuilt the rectory-house on an enlarged scale, and dying on the 25th of December, 1758, was buried in the church.

Weston-In-Gordano (St. Paul)

WESTON-IN-GORDANO (St. Paul), a parish, in the union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury, E. division of Somerset, 10 miles (W. by N.) from Bristol; containing 155 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 3., and in the gift of P. John Mills, Esq.: the tithes have been commuted for £112, and the glebe comprises 22 acres.

Weston-Jones

WESTON-JONES, a township, in the parish of Norbury, union of Newport, W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 3¼ miles (N. N. E.) from Newport; containing, with the hamlet of Loynton, 143 inhabitants.

Weston, King, Somerset.—See Kingweston

WESTON, KING, Somerset.—See Kingweston.

Weston, King's

WESTON, KING'S, a tything, in the parish of Henbury, union of Clifton, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, Western division of the county of Gloucester, 4½ miles (N. W.) from Bristol; containing 184 inhabitants.

Weston, Lawrence

WESTON, LAWRENCE, a tything, in the parish of Henbury, union of Clifton, Lower division of the hundred of Berkeley, Western division of the county of Gloucester, 5¼ miles (N. W. by N.) from Bristol; containing 341 inhabitants.

Weston-Longville (All Saints)

WESTON-LONGVILLE (All Saints), a parish, in the union of St. Faith, hundred of Eynsford, E. division of Norfolk, 9 miles (W. N. W.) from Norwich; containing 411 inhabitants. It is bounded on the east by the river Wensum, and comprises 2737a. 12p., of which 2220 acres are arable, 326 meadow and pasture, 145 woodland, and 44 in roads and water. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8.18.1½., and in the'gift of New College, Oxford: the tithes have been commuted for £680, and the glebe contains 46 acres, with a house built in 1841 by the Rev. John Conyngham. The church is in the decorated and later English styles, with a square embattled tower; on the south side of the chancel are three stone sedilia of elegant design, and a piscina, and the windows contain some valuable remains of stained glass. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Weston, Market.—See Market-Weston.

WESTON, MARKET.—See Market-Weston.

Weston, North

WESTON, NORTH, a hamlet, in the parish, poorlaw union, and hundred of Thame, county of Oxford; containing 70 inhabitants.

Weston, North

WESTON, NORTH, a hamlet, in the parish of Portishead, union of Bedminster, hundred of Portbury, E. division of Somerset; with 160 inhabitants.

Weston, Old (St. Swithin)

WESTON, OLD (St. Swithin), a parish, in the union of Thrapston, hundred of Leightonstone, county of Huntingdon, 7¼ miles (N.) from Kimbolton; containing 390 inhabitants. It comprises 1855 acres, of which 50 are common or waste. The living is united, with that of Bythorn, to the rectory of Brington.

Weston-on-the-Green (St. Mary)

WESTON-ON-THE-GREEN (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bicester, hundred of Ploughley, county of Oxford, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Bicester; containing 504 inhabitants. There are some quarries of stone, of good quality for building. The living is a discharged vicarage; net income, £148; patron and impropriator, the Hon. Peregrine Bertie. The church is a Grecian structure, erected in 1743, at the expense of Norreys Bertie, Esq., on the site of the old edifice, which had fallen into decay. Near it is the ancient manorhouse, in which are several portraits of members of the Norreys and Bertie families. Numerous Roman coins have been found.

Weston-Patrick (St. Lawrence)

WESTON-PATRICK (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Basingstoke, hundred of Odiham, Basingstoke and N. divisions of the county of Southampton, 4¼ miles (S. W. by W.) from Odiham; containing 185 inhabitants. The parish comprises 1294 acres, of which 250 are common or waste. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Wellesley family, with a net income of £48: the tithes have been commuted for £200, and there are 2 acres of impropriate glebe.

Weston-Peverel, or Penny-Cross

WESTON-PEVEREL, or Penny-Cross, a chapelry, in the parish of St. Andrew, Plymouth, union of Plympton St. Mary, hundred of Roborough, Roborough and S. divisions of Devon, 2¾ miles (N. by W.) from Plymouth; with 267 inhabitants. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £350, and the impropriate for £51. The chapel is dedicated to St. Pancras.

Weston-Rhyn

WESTON-RHYN, a township, in the parish of St. Martin, hundred of Oswestry, N. division of the county of Salop; containing 856 inhabitants.

Weston, South (St. Lawrence)

WESTON, SOUTH (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Thame, hundred of Pirton, county of Oxford, 2¾ miles (S. by E.) from Tetsworth; containing 104 inhabitants. It comprises about 460 acres, nearly the whole of which is arable land, in a good state of cultivation. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 2. 6.; net income, £200; patrons, the Provost and Fellows of Queen's College, Oxford. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Weston-Sub-Edge (St. Lawrence)

WESTON-SUB-EDGE (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Evesham, Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 1¾ mile (W. N. W.) from Chipping-Campden; containing 342 inhabitants. The parish comprises 2632 acres, of which 267 are common or waste. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £31; net income, £811; patron, Mrs. Bourne.

Weston-Super-Mare (St. John)

WESTON-SUPER-MARE (St. John), a parish, in the union of Axbridge, hundred of Winterstoke, E. division of Somerset, 9 miles (N. W.) from Cross; containing 2103 inhabitants. This parish, which is on the margin of Uphill bay, near the Bristol Channel, has within the last few years more than trebled its population, from the construction of a bathing establishment at Knightstone, since which it has become a fashionable and well-frequented watering-place. The town is beautifully situated under the shelter of Worlebury Hill, which commands an extensive view of the surrounding country, with the range of the Mendip hills: an act of parliament for its general improvement, and for paving, lighting, and watching the streets, was passed in 1842. The bathing-house contains commodious apartments for the residence of invalids, and contiguous to it are furnished lodging-houses for the reception of families, and several good inns; the establishment comprises a public reading-room, and may be heated to any required temperature by steam apparatus detached from the building. Weston is situated immediately opposite to Cardiff on the Welsh coast, and a few of the inhabitants are engaged in the sprat and herring fishery; cod, whiting, soles, and salmon are also taken in considerable numbers. Limestone is quarried for building, for burning into lime, and for the roads; and the making of bricks is carried on to some extent. A convenient market-house has been erected at the expense of Richard Parsley, Esq. The Bristol and Exeter railway runs near the parish; and a branch worked by horses diverges to this place, where a station has been established. An act for constructing a pier was passed in 1846. The powers of the county debt-court of Weston, established in 1847, extend over part of the registration-district of Axbridge. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £14. 17. 11., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bath and Wells: the tithes have been commuted for £235, and there is a glebe of nearly 40 acres. The church is a neat edifice, partly rebuilt in 1824, and enlarged in 1837 by Archdeacon Law, the present rector, who also greatly improved and beautified the interior. An additional church, dedicated to Emmanuel, and situated near the railway station, at the entrance of the town, was consecrated in Oct. 1847: it consists of a nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and a western tower; the chancel is separated from the nave by carved oak screens, and the pulpit is of stone. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans. At Worlebury is a rampart of stones, 20 feet high, with ditches, supposed to have been the last fortified camp of the Romans in this district. A well in the parish possesses the unusual property of being empty at high water, and full when the tide is at its ebb.

Weston-Turville (St. Mary)

WESTON-TURVILLE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and hundred of Aylesbury, county of Buckingham, 2¼ miles (N. by W.) from Wendover; containing 718 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £22. 0. 10.; net income, £484; patrons, All Souls' College, Oxford. The tithes were commuted for land and corn-rents in 1798.

Weston-Under-Lizard (St. Andrew)

WESTON-UNDER-LIZARD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Shiffnall, W. division of the hundred of Cuttlestone, S. division of the county of Stafford, 5¾ miles (N. E. by E.) from Shiffnall; containing 297 inhabitants. This place takes the adjunct to its name from Lizard, a hill in Shropshire, to distinguish it from Weston-upon-Trent. The parish is situated on the Watling-street turnpike road, and comprises about 2370 acres, of which 942 are arable, 1143 meadow and pasture, and the remainder woodland and roads: the soil is very various, and below the average quality. The Earl of Bradford possesses the whole parish, which is divided into six farms. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £6. 7. 8½., and in the gift of the Earl: the tithes have been commuted for £335, and the glebe comprises 93 acres, with a house. The church is in the Norman style, with later additions. Two schools are supported.

Weston-Under-Penyard (St. Lawrence)

WESTON-UNDER-PENYARD (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Ross, hundred of Greytree, county of Hereford, 2¼ miles (E. S. E.) from Ross; containing 672 inhabitants. The parish comprises 3142 acres, and is intersected by the road from Ross to Gloucester. A portion is within the county of Gloucester. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18, and in the gift of the Bishop of Hereford: the tithes have been commuted for £619. 10., and the glebe comprises 2 acres.

Weston-Under-Red-Castle

WESTON-UNDER-RED-CASTLE, a chapelry, in the parish of Hodnet, union of Wem, Drayton division of the hundred of North Bradford, N. division of Salop, 4 miles (E.) from Wem; containing, with the hamlet of Wixhill, 348 inhabitants.

Weston-Under-Weatherly (St. Michael)

WESTON-UNDER-WEATHERLY (St. Michael), a parish, in the union of Warwick, Southam division of the hundred of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick, 4 miles (N. E. by N.) from Leamington; containing 203 inhabitants. It comprises about 1290 acres, mostly arable; 108 acres are wood. The soil is of good quality. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 9. 2; net income, £90; patron and impropriator, Lord Clifford. The church is an ancient structure in the later English style, with a tower: the seats are of rude carved oak, and decaying; there are some interesting monuments, and three brasses. A Sunday school is supported by subscription.

Weston-Underwood (St. Lawrence)

WESTON-UNDERWOOD (St. Lawrence), a parish, in the union of Newport-Pagnell, hundred of Newport, county of Buckingham, 1¾ mile (W. S. W.) from Olney; containing 438 inhabitants. It is bounded on the south by the river Ouse, and comprises 1846a. 1r. 31p., of which 60 acres are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions. In the parish is an ancient seat, now uninhabited, of the Throckmorton family, who have also a neat Roman Catholic chapel here, with a handsome residence for the priest. In this pleasant village, Cowper resided for several years during the latter part of his life; and the neighbourhood is supposed to have furnished many of his descriptions of rural scenery. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £51; patron and impropriator, Robert Throckmorton, Esq. The church is a neat structure, built by Sir John Olney in the 14th century. Charles Higgins, in 1792, bequeathed £500, the dividends of which, amounting to £20, are expended in the purchase of clothing for aged women: an annual sum of about £55, arising from bequests, is appropriated to the poor; and there is a small school, endowed by Mr. Throckmorton in 1826.

Weston-Underwood

WESTON-UNDERWOOD, a township, in the parish of Stanton-by-Dale, union of Belper, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 5¾ miles (N. W. by N.) from Derby; containing 284 inhabitants.

Weston-Upon-Avon (All Saints)

WESTON-UPON-AVON (All Saints), a parish, in the union of Stratford, partly in the Alcester division of the hundred of Barlichway, S. division of the county of Warwick, but chiefly in the Upper division of the hundred of Kiftsgate, E. division of the county of Gloucester, 4½ miles (S. W. by W.) from Stratford; containing, with the hamlet of Milcote, 104 inhabitants. The parish comprises by measurement 1489 acres. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £7. 14. 7., and has a net income of £84; the patronage and impropriation belong to Countess Amherst. A school is endowed with £15 per annum.

Weston-Upon-Trent (St. Mary)

WESTON-UPON-TRENT (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7 miles (S. E. by S.) from Derby; containing 396 inhabitants. It comprises by recent measurement 1959 acres, of which 15 are woodland, and the remainder arable and pasture in nearly equal portions; the soil is various, gravel and loam on the south, and on the north a stiff clay. From the quarries here, was raised the stone for the erection of the church, as well as of the new church at Shardlow. The river Trent bounds the parish on the south-west, and the Trent and Mersey canal passes through for three miles. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £11.16. 3.; net income, £594; patron, Sir Robert Wilmot, Bart. The tithes were commuted for land and corn rents in 1786; the glebe comprises upwards of 300 acres, with a house. The church is an ancient structure, with a tower and spire. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.

Weston-Upon-Trent

WESTON-UPON-TRENT, a parish, in the S. division of the hundred of Pirehill, union and N. division of the county of Stafford, 4½ miles (N. E.) from Stafford; containing 562 inhabitants. The Grand Trunk canal passes through the parish. Extensive salt-works have been established here; the brine is raised in the parish of Ingestrie, by means of machinery worked by the waters of the Trent, and is conveyed across that river and under the canal, in pipes to certain reservoirs, whence it runs into iron pans, is heated, and becomes crystallized for use. The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Rev. C. Inge, with a net income of £96; impropriator, William Moore, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £95, and those of the vicar for £25: there are 12½ acres of impropriate, and 1¼ of vicarial, glebe. The church is an ancient structure, with a large tower and spire; it was partly rebuilt in 1685, and the north aisle, which had been taken down in that year, was restored in 1825, when the chancel was also rebuilt. In 1829, the spire was reconstructed

Weston-Zoyland (St. Mary)

WESTON-ZOYLAND (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Bridgwater, hundred of Whitley, W. division of Somerset, 4 miles (E. S. E.) from Bridgwater; containing 1000 inhabitants. This place, which borders on Sedgemoor, was the scene of the last encounter between the king's forces and those of the Duke of Monmouth. The parish is bounded on the south by the navigable river Parret, and comprises 2656a. 2r. 16p. A fair for cattle and agricultural produce is held on the 9th of September. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £14. 6. 8.; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Bath and Wells. The great tithes have been commuted for £48.10., and the vicarial for £220.5.; the glebe comprises 25 acres, and a parsonage-house has been built by the Rev. William Marshall. The church is a cruciform structure, with a stately western tower, highly enriched, and crowned with pinnacles. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.