Wike, near Bradford, York.—See Wyke.
WIKE, near Bradford, York.—See Wyke.
WIKE, a township, partly in the parish of Bardsey, but chiefly in that of Harewood, Upper division
of the wapentake of Skyrack, W. riding of York, 6¼
miles (N. N. E.) from Leeds; containing 146 inhabitants. This township comprises about 1050 acres, in full
cultivation; the surface is pleasing, and the village,
though small, is neatly built, and of rural aspect. The
tithes have been commuted for £14. 3. payable to certain impropriators, £16. 2. to the vicar of Thorner,
£41. 7. to the vicar of Harewood, and £39 to the vicar
of Bardsey. A school for ten children is supported by
an annuity paid by the trustees of Lady Hastings' charity. In 1835, an earthen jar was dug up, containing
silver pence of the reigns of Edward I. and II.
Wilbarston (All Saints)
WILBARSTON (All Saints), a parish, in the union
of Market-Harborough, hundred of Corby, N. division of the county of Northampton, 4½ miles (S. W.
by W.) from Rockingham; containing, with part of the
hamlet of Pipewell, 684 inhabitants, of whom 626 are in
the township of Wilbarston. The parish comprises 2785
acres, and is intersected by the road from Harborough
to Stamford. The living is a vicarage, valued in the
king's books at £7. 17. 1.; net income, £187; patrons
and impropriators, the family of Watson. There is a
place of worship for Independents. Mrs. Catherine
Palmer bequeathed £200, for educating girls of the
parish, and employing the aged poor in spinning flax,
&c.; and some other trifling bequests are distributed in
bread and money.
Wilberfoss (St. John the Baptist)
WILBERFOSS (St. John the Baptist), a parish,
in the union of Pockltngton, Wilton-Beacon division
of the wapentake of Harthill, E. riding of York;
containing, with the township of Newton-upon-Derwent,
586 inhabitants, of whom 357 are in the township of
Wilberfoss, 8 miles (E.) from York. This place, from
the time of the Conquest, was the property of the Wilberforce family, from which was descended the late
William Wilberf'orce, the distinguished philanthropist;
but the ancient family mansion and the estates were sold
in 1710, and the lands are now divided among several
proprietors, of whom Col. Wyndham is lord of the
manor. The parish is bounded on the east by the
Wolds, and on the west partly by the Derwent. It comprises 2990 acres, of which 1350 are in the township of
Wilberfoss; the surface is generally level, and the soil
various, but principally a light sandy loam. Good stone
for the roads is obtained. The village, which is neatly
built, and of rural appearance, is situated on the road
from York to Hull, and intersected by a stream called
the Foss, which flows into the river Derwent. The
living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £67; patrons
and impropriators, Colonel Wyndham, and three others.
The church is an ancient structure in the early English
style, with a square embattled tower; it was repewed
in 1810. There are places of worship for Wesleyans
and Primitive Methodists. The poor have nearly ten
acres of land, partly allotted at the inclosure, and partly
purchased with a bequest of £40 by Mr. John Horsley.
A Benedictine nunnery, dedicated to St. Mary, was
founded here by Alan de Catton, prior to the year 1153,
and at the Dissolution had a revenue of £28. 8. 8. per
Wilbraham, Great (St. Nicholas)
WILBRAHAM, GREAT (St. Nicholas), a parish,
in the union of Chesterton, hundred of Staine, county
of Cambridge, 7¼ miles (E. by S.) from Cambridge;
containing 564 inhabitants. It comprises 2800 acres.
The soil is of light quality, resting upon chalk and
gravel; the surface in the western portion is flat, and in
the southern parts elevated. The manor-house, an ancient
building that belonged to the Knights Templars, is still
called the Temple. The living is a discharged vicarage,
valued in the king's books at £11. 18. 4.; net income,
£203; patron and impropriator, Edward Hicks, Esq.
The tithes were commuted for land in 1797; the glebe
comprises 155 acres. The church is a cruciform structure, with a tower at the west end; it had originally a
tower rising from the centre.
Wilbraham, Little (St. John the Evangelist)
WILBRAHAM, LITTLE (St. John the Evangelist), a parish, in the union of Chesterton, hundred
of Staine, county of Cambridge, 7¼ miles (E.) from
Cambridge; containing 345 inhabitants. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £19. 16. 8.; net
income, £326; patrons, the President and Fellows of
Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. The tithes were
commuted for land in 1797.
Wilburton (St. Peter)
WILBURTON (St. Peter), a parish, in the hundred
of South Witchford, union and Isle of Ely, county
of Cambridge, 6½ miles (S. W.) from Ely; containing 500 inhabitants. It comprises by measurement
2233 acres, of which 1182 are arable, 534 meadow and
pasture, and the remainder woodland, common, roads,
and waste: the soil is mostly rich. The living is a
perpetual curacy; net income, £68; patron, the Archdeacon of Ely. The tithes have been commuted for
£519, and the glebe consists of 170 acres. The church
is a handsome structure in the later English style, and
contains 100 sittings. There is a place of worship for
Baptists. The parsonage-house was anciently the seat
of the archdeacons of Ely; and Henry VII., and his son
Prince Henry, were entertained in it for several days,
when that sovereign came to visit the shrine of St.
Wilby (All Saints)
WILBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union of
Guiltcross, hundred of Shropham, W. division of
Norfolk, 3½ miles (N. E. by E.) from East Harling;
containing 124 inhabitants. It comprises about 1400
acres, of which 930 are arable, 450 meadow and pasture,
and 15 woodland. The ancient Hall, surrounded by a
moat, is now a farmhouse. The living is a discharged
rectory, with that of Hargham annexed, valued in the
king's books at £7. 4. 7½., and in the patronage of Sir
Thomas B. Beevor, Bart.: the tithes of Wilby have been
commuted for £210, and the glebe comprises 32 acres,
with a house. The church is chiefly in the decorated
English style, with a square embattled tower.
Wilby (St. Mary)
WILBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Wellingborough, hundred of Hamfordshoe, N. division
of the county of Northampton, 2 miles (S. W. by W.)
from Wellingborough; containing 428 inhabitants. This
parish is on the road to Northampton, and comprises
1134a. 22p. The soil is of various quality: there are
some quarries of limestone, used for the roads, and for
burning into lime. The village is pleasantly situated
about a mile from the river Nene; the inhabitants
are partly employed in the manufacture of parchment,
and in the preparation of wash leather. The living is
a rectory, valued in the king's books at £13. 19. 4½.;
net income, £386; patron, the Rev. William Stockdale.
The tithes were commuted for 176 acres of land in
1801, and there are about 68 acres of glebe, with a
house. The church is in the early and decorated English styles, with a handsome tower surmounted by an
octangular turret, above which rises a lofty and graceful
spire, the whole forming an elegant specimen of the later
English style. Belemnites, ammonites, and other fossils are found in the parish. Dr. Percy, Bishop of
Dromore, was rector of Wilby.
Wilby (St. Mary)
WILBY (St. Mary), a parish, in the union and
hundred of Hoxne, E. division of Suffolk, 3 miles
(S. S. E.) from Stradbrooke; containing 623 inhabitants, and comprising 1844a. lr. 20p. The living is a
rectory, valued in the king's books at £26. 6. 10½., and
in the gift of the Rev. George Mingaye: the tithes have
been commuted for £630, and the glebe comprises 51
acres. The church is a handsome structure in the later
English style, with a lofty embattled tower, and a south
porch of elegant design; it contains a monument to the
Green family, and a richly-sculptured font.
Wilcot (Holy Cross)
WILCOT (Holy Cross), a parish, in the union of
Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough, Everley and Pewsey, and N. divisions of Wilts, 1¾ mile (W. N. W.)
from Pewsey; containing 677 inhabitants. This parish
comprises 2558a. 3r. 6p., of which 1846 acres are arable,
335 meadow and pasture, 126 woodland, 222 open down,
and 29 in homesteads, roads, and waste; the soil is
generally a rich loam, and the surface finely varied with
hills and valleys. The Kennet and Avon canal passes
through. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in
the king's books at £6. 17., and in the gift of Lieut.Col. G. W. Wroughton: the vicar's tithes have been
commuted for £131. 10., those of the impropriator for
£25, and certain tithes belonging to the rector of Huish
for £15. 16. The manor-house is said to have been a
Wilcote (St. Peter)
WILCOTE (St. Peter), a parish, in the poor-law
union of Witney, hundred of Wootton, county of
Oxford, 4 miles (N. by E.) from Witney; containing
9 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, valued
in the king's books at £2. 13. 4., and in the patronage
of Mrs. Pickering.
WILDBOAR-CLOUGH, a township, in the parish
of Prestbury, union and hundred of Macclesfield,
N. division of the county of Chester, 6½ miles (S. E.
by E.) from Macclesfield; containing 347 inhabitants.
It comprises 3078 acres, partly a light soil, partly stony,
and partly peat. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Wilden (St. Nicholas)
WILDEN (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the hundred
of Barford, union and county of Bedford, 5¼ miles
(N. E. by N.) from Bedford; containing 443 inhabitants.
It comprises by measurement 2170 acres, of which 1800
are arable, 350 meadow and pasture, and 20 woodland:
the soil is chiefly clay, well adapted to the growth of
wheat; the surface is partly flat, but in general hilly,
and the scenery is pleasingly diversified. The making
of pillow-lace affords employment to the females. The
living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £18.
7. 1.; net income, £250; patron, the Duke of Bedford.
The tithes were commuted for land in 1811; the glebe
altogether comprises 470 acres. The church has been
repewed. John and Thomas Rolle, in 1624, gave land
now producing an income of £40 per annum for teaching children.
WILDEN, a village, in the parish of Hartlebury,
union of Droitwich, Lower division of the hundred of
Oswaldslow, Kidderminster and W. divisions of the
county of Worcester, 1½ mile (N. E.) from Stourport.
The village is seated on the river Stour, which empties
itself into the Severn about two miles below it. The
soil in the vicinity is light and sandy, the land in pasture,
and the scenery beautifully picturesque: there are quarries of red-sandstone, which supplied the material for
building the present parish church. The Staffordshire
and Worcestershire canal runs within a quarter of a mile
of the village, and parallel with it the river Stour, to
Stourport. The Wilden Iron and Tin-plate Works, belonging to Messrs. Lewty, were established in their present united branches in 1840; the concern was originally commenced between the years 1600 and 1630, as
charcoal iron-works only, and was among the earliest
iron-works founded in England. The number of hands
at present employed is between two and three hundred;
the machinery is set in motion by two steam-engines,
each of 30-horse power, and by water-power equal to
about 60 horses. The parish church is within a mile of
the village. The proprietors of the works have built a
school-house for the children of their workmen.
WILDHERN, a hamlet, in the parish, union, and
hundred of Andover, Andover and N. divisions of the
county of Southampton; with 124 inhabitants.
WILDON-GRANGE, a township, in the parish of
Coxwold, union of Easingwould, wapentake of Birdforth, N. riding of York, 6½ miles (N. by W.) from
Easingwould; containing 21 inhabitants. It comprises
667a. lr. 11p., of which 350 acres are arable, 307 meadow
and pasture, and 10 woodland. The Archbishop of
York is lord of the manor. The village is situated in
the dale of a small rivulet, about a mile west-northwest of Coxwold. The tithes have been commuted for
£179, payable to Trinity College, Cambridge.
WILDSWORTH, a hamlet, in the parish of Laughton, union of Gainsborough, wapentake of Corringham, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 7½ miles
(N.) from Gainsborough; containing 147 inhabitants.
A chapel of ease was erected in 1839, chiefly at the
expense of Lady William Gordon; it contains 100
Wilerick, or Willcrick
WILERICK, or Willcrick, a parish, in the union
of Newport, division of Christchurch, hundred of
Caldicot, county of Monmouth, 6 miles (E.) from
Newport; containing 35 inhabitants. The parish is
situated on the road between Caerleon and Chepstow,
and comprises 406a. 2r. 1p., of which 153 acres are
arable, 218 pasture and meadow, 20 woodland, and 12
common; the soil is chiefly clay. In the centre is a
small elevated wood, from which is a beautiful view of
the Bristol Channel, and the hills in the counties of
Somerset and Gloucester. The living is a discharged
rectory, annexed to that of Llanmartin, and valued in
the king's books at £2. 10. 2½.: the tithes have been
commuted for £38, and the glebe comprises 13 acres.
The church is in the Norman style.
Wilford, or Wilfrids Ford (St. Wilfrid)
WILFORD, or Wilfrids Ford (St. Wilfrid), a
parish, in the union of Basford, N. division of the
wapentake of Rushcliffe, S. division of the county of
Nottingham, 1½ mile (S. W.) from Nottingham; containing 569 inhabitants. This parish comprises by measurement about 1700 acres. The village, which is situated on the south bank of the river Trent, has several
handsome villas belonging to opulent families engaged
in the trade of Nottingham. The Trent, the Nottingham canal, and the railway to Derby, afford facility of
communication. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £18. 17. 6.; net income, £574; patron,
Sir Juckes G. C. J. Clifton, Bart.; present incumbent,
the Rev. Thomas Thorp: the glebe consists of 230 acres,
with a large house in good repair. The church is a neat
edifice, with a low square tower at the north-west angle;
the windows and door of the chancel are elaborate: it
stands close to the river, and commands a pleasing view
of Nottingham and its vicinity. There is a place of worship for dissenters attached to Wilford House, the property and residence of Henry Smith, Esq., who in 1828
built an infant school, which he supports at his own
expense. A free school was founded in 1727 by the
Rev. Benjamin Carter, vicar, the endowment whereof
now exceeds £200 per annum; the school-house was
erected in 1736. Some Roman coins, chiefly of the
later emperors, were dug up some years since.
WILKENTHRUP, a hamlet, in the parish of Horsington, union of Wincanton, hundred of Horethorne, Eastern division of Somerset; containing 42
Wilkesley, with Dodcot.— See Dodcot.
WILKESLEY, with Dodcot.— See Dodcot.
Wilksby (All Saints)
WILKSBY (All Saints), a parish, in the union and
soke of Horncastle, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (S. S. E.) from Horncastle; containing
89 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated about a
mile south of the road from Boston to Horncastle, comprises by measurement 640 acres. The soil is various,
principally inclining to clay and gravel, and the surface
generally level, in some parts abounding in springs.
The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's
books at £4. 4. 2., and in the gift of Sir Henry Dymoke;
net income, £130, arising from a glebe of 100 acres.
The church is a small brick building, erected about fifty