Willoughby (St. Helen)
WILLOUGHBY (St. Helen), a parish, in the union
of Spilsby, Wold division of the hundred of Calceworth, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 3½
miles (S. S. E.) from Alford; containing 661 inhabitants, and including the hamlets of Abbertoft, Asthorpe,
Bonthorpe, Butter-Bump, Mawthorpe, Sandfield, Sloothby, and Wytche. The living is a rectory, valued in the
king's books at £39. 10. 2½., and in the gift of Lord
Willoughby de Eresby: the tithes have been commuted
for £1020, and the glebe comprises 50 acres. The
church contains an altar-tomb with the recumbent effigy
of a Knight Templar. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans. Anthony Barnes, in 1728, bequeathed land
now producing more than £25 per annum, for teaching
and apprenticing children.
Willoughby (St. Nicholas)
WILLOUGHBY (St. Nicholas), a parish, in the
union of Rugby, Rugby division of the hundred of
Knightlow, N. division of the county of Warwick,
3 miles (S. by E.) from Dunchurch; containing 446
inhabitants. This place, in the neighbourhood of which
many Roman antiquities have been discovered, is in
Domesday book called Wilbere and Wilebei. It was formerly of much more importance than it is at present,
and enjoyed a market and fairs, to which, from the
name of a small hamlet in the parish, called Pie Court,
it seems probable a court of pie-poudre was attached.
The parish is bounded on the east, and partly on the
north and south, by the county of Northampton; it
comprises 1711 acres, of fertile soil, and at the eastern
end is intersected by the Oxford canal. Here are some
sulphureous and saline springs, resembling those at Harrogate, efficacious in cases of scrofula, and in scorbutic
and cutaneous diseases. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £9. 4. 4.; net income,
£217, with a house; patrons and impropriators, the
President and Fellows of Magdalen College, Oxford.
The church is a spacious and neat structure in the later
English style, with a low square embattled tower; the
chancel was rebuilt in 1779. A school was founded in
1816, and a school-house erected at a cost of £460, paid
by the trustees of property amounting to £400 per
annum, bequeathed by various benefactors for charitable
uses: the school is on the national system.
Willoughby-In-The-Wolds (St. Mary and All Saints)
WILLOUGHBY-IN-THE-WOLDS (St. Mary and
All Saints), a parish, in the union of Loughborough,
S. division of the wapentake of Rushcliffe and of the
county of Nottingham, 7 miles (N. E. by E.) from
Loughborough; containing 569 inhabitants. According
to Horsley, this was the Roman station Vernometum, but
Gale and Stukeley fix Margidunum here. In the great
civil war, an engagement took place commonly termed
the battle of Willoughby Field. The parish is situated
about two miles distant from the road between Nottingham and Melton-Mowbray, and half a mile south-east of
the Roman fosse-road. It comprises by measurement
2000 acres, whereof three-fourths are pasture, and the
remainder arable; the soil is chiefly a cold clay. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £6. 18. 6½.; net income, £87; patron, T.
Dodson, Esq.: the tithes were commuted for land in
1793. The church contains 400 sittings, of which 238
are free. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
In a field called Herrings, or Black Field, are traces of
an old town, where many coins, pavements, and other
relics of antiquity have been found; and in the centre of
the village stands a cross, the shaft consisting of one
stone, fifteen feet high, resting on four steps. On a
tumulus called Cross Hill, an annual revel is held.
Willoughby, Scott (St. Andrew)
WILLOUGHBY, SCOTT (St. Andrew), a parish,
in the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 3 miles (N. W.
by N.) from Falkingham; containing 22 inhabitants.
The parish is situated on the road between Grantham
and Donington, and comprises 560 acres, of which 220
are arable, 330 grass, and 10 woodland. The living is a
discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £7. 1. 3.,
and in the gift of Earl Brownlow; net income, £160.
The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1795; the glebe comprises 4 acres. The church
is a neat edifice, built about 20 years since.
Willoughby, Silk (St. Denis)
WILLOUGHBY, SILK (St. Denis), a parish, in
the union of Sleaford, wapentake of Aswardhurn,
parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 2 miles (S. S.
W.) from Sleaford; containing 227 inhabitants. This
parish, in 1494 termed North Willoughby, received the
adjunct Silk from the circumstance of a hamlet, anciently called Silkby, being about that period added to
it. The manor was possessed by Sir William Armyn, at
first keeper of the privy seal and vice-chancellor to
Edward II., and afterwards lord chancellor, and bishop
of Norwich; it remained in the family until 1662. The
parish comprises by measurement about 2500 acres, and
is situated on the road from Sleaford to Falkingham.
The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
£14. 8. l½., and in the gift of the Earl of Dysart: the
tithes have been commuted for £625, and the glebe consists of 11½ acres, with a house. The church is a handsome
structure, with a well-proportioned tower and spire; the
body is principally in the decorated English style, and
the chancel of later date. In the latter are three stalls,
some fine screen-work of wood, and fragments of ancient
stained glass; the font is a rare specimen of the Norman
style of interweaving arches. Some tumuli are visible.
Willoughby-Waterless (St. Mary)
WILLOUGHBY-WATERLESS (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Lutterworth, hundred of Guthlaxton, S. division of the county of Leicester, 6 miles
(N. N. E.) from Lutterworth; containing 348 inhabitants. It comprises 1100 acres. The Midland railway
runs at the distance of about a mile and a half. The
manufacture of stockings affords employment to about
twenty-five families. The living is a rectory, with the
vicarage of Peatling Magna united in 1729, valued in the
king's books at £11. 11. 3.; net income, £347; patron,
the Rev. John Miles; impropriator of Peatling Magna,
J. R. Swindall, Esq. There are 46 acres of glebe, with a
house. The church is a plain edifice.
WILLOUGHBY, WEST, a hamlet, in the parish of
Ancaster, poor-law union of Grantham, wapentake of
Loveden, parts of Kesteven, county of Lincoln;
containing 67 inhabitants.
Willoughton (St. Andrew)
WILLOUGHTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the
union of Gainsborough, W. division of the wapentake
of Aslacoe, parts of Lindsey, county of Lincoln, 8½
miles (E. by N.) from Gainsborough; containing 581
inhabitants. An alien priory, a cell to the abbey of St.
Nicholas at Angiers, is said to have existed here. Roger
de Buslei and Simon de Canci, in the time of Stephen,
gave a moiety of the church, and the greater part of the
town, to the Knights Templars, who had a preceptory
here, which from that order came to the Hospitallers,
and at the Dissolution was valued at £219. 19. 8. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books
at £7. 4. 2.; net income, £192; patrons, alternately,
King's College, Cambridge, and the Earl of Scarborough,
the latter of whom is impropriator. The tithes were
commuted for land in 1768. There is a place of worship
WILLS-PASTURES, an extra-parochial liberty, in
the union of Southam, Southarn division of the hundred
of Knightlow, S. division of the county of Warwick;
containing 13 inhabitants, and 146 acres.
WILLSWORTHY, a hamlet, in the parish of St.
Peter Tavy, union of Tavistock, hundred of Lifton,
Tavistock and S. divisions of the county of Devon, 6
miles (N. E. by N.) from Tavistock; containing 91 inhabitants. It is situated a little east of the road between
Oakhampton and Tavistock.
Wilmington (St. Michael)
WILMINGTON (St. Michael), a parish, in the
union of Dartford, hundred of Axton, Dartford,
and Wilmington, lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, W. division of Kent, 1 mile (S.) from Dartford; containing 845
inhabitants. It comprises 1715 acres, of which 393 are
in wood. The celebrated Earl of Warwick, in the reign
of Edward IV., resided at the manor-house in the village.
The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at
£6. 17. 6.; net income, £340; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church
occupies the summit of a hill near the high road, and
has a handsome spire-steeple.
Wilmington (St. Mary and St. Peter)
WILMINGTON (St. Mary and St. Peter), a parish, in the union of Eastbourne, hundred of Longbridge, rape of Pevensey, E. division of Sussex, 4½
miles (S. W.) from Hailsham; containing 314 inhabitants. A Benedictine priory, a cell to the abbey of
Grestein, in Normandy, was founded here in the time of
William Rufus. It was valued at 240 marks per annum,
and was sold by licence of Henry IV. to the Dean and
Chapter of Chichester, to whom it was confirmed by
Henry V., towards founding a chantry of two priests in
the cathedral. Some portions of the priory have been
converted into a farmhouse, one of the rooms in which
exhibits a groined roof; the gateway still remains. The
parish is on the road from Lewes to Eastbourne, and
comprises by measurement 1744 acres: the village is
situated on the north-east declivity of the South Downs,
on an elevated site commanding extensive views. The
living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's
books at £8, and in the gift of the Earl of Burlington:
the great tithes have been commuted for £65, and the
vicarial for £51. 16.; the glebe comprises 4 acres. The
church is principally in the early and decorated styles,
and consists of a nave and chancel, with chapels on the
north and south sides, and a small tower surmounted by
a spire; in the churchyard is a fine yew-tree, six yards
in circumference at two feet from the ground. Wilmington gives the title of Baron to the Marquess of
Wilmslow (St. Bartholomew)
WILMSLOW (St. Bartholomew), a parish, in the
union of Altrincham, hundred of Macclesfield, N.
division of the county of Chester, 8 miles (N. W. by
N.) from Macclesfield; containing, with the townships
of Bollin-Fee, Chorley, Fulshaw, and Pownall-Fee, 4973
inhabitants. This parish comprises by measurement
7050 acres, of which the soil is red and grey marl; the
pasture land is rich, the arable also highly productive,
and the surface undulated. It is situated on the road
from Manchester to Birmingham, and is intersected by
the small river Bollin, on the bank of which, about a
quarter of a mile east of the church, is Bollin Hall. On
the same river are two cotton-mills and a silk-mill; the
former, at Styal, afford employment on the average to
400 persons. The railway from Manchester to Crewe
runs through the parish. The living is a rectory, valued
in the king's books at £32. 15.; net income, £955;
patron, Sir Thomas Joseph de Trafford, Bart. The
church is a handsome and very ancient structure in the
decorated and later English styles, with a square tower;
it comprises a nave, chancel, and two aisles, of which
the east end of one and the west end of the other are
inclosed as sepulchral chapels, for the families of Dunham
and Trafford. Near the altar are brasses with inscriptions to Sir Robert Booth, of Dunham, and Douce Venables his wife; also the figure of a divine, with an inscription to Henry Treffort, rector, 1537. In the north
chapel are two altar-tombs sunk in the wall, on which
are figures representing the Newtons of Newton and
Pownall. There is also a chapel of more recent date, in
which are several tombs of the Leigh family, of Hawthorn Hall, near Wilmslow. The Wesleyans, Calvinistic
Methodists, Quakers, and Unitarians, have places of
worship. A workhouse was established about 1780 on
Lindow common, and land now producing more than
£200 per annum was assigned for its support; but it
has been disused since the introduction of the present
poor-law. Some remains exist of an ancient chapel,
forming part of a farmhouse.
WILNCOTE, a hamlet, partly in the parish of Old
Stratford, hundred of Barlichway, Stratford division, and partly in the parish of Aston-Cantlow, hundred of Hemlingford, Birmingham division, of the
county of Warwick; containing 415 inhabitants. It
is on the west bank of the Stratford and Avon canal. A
chapel, dedicated to St. Andrew, was consecrated in
1841; it cost £2000, and has two painted windows.
Wilne (St. Chad)
WILNE (St. Chad), a parish, in the union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 7¾ miles (S. E.) from
Derby; containing 2057 inhabitants. It includes the
liberties of Draycott and Church Wilne, the hamlet of
Hopwell, the parochial chapelry of Breaston, and part
of Risley; and comprises 1380 acres, whereof a third is
arable, and the remainder pasture: the surface is level,
and the soil alluvial. The river Derwent bounds the
parish on the south for three miles, and propels the
machinery of an extensive cotton concern erected half a
century ago, now conducted by Thomas Draper, Esq.,
and employing 200 persons. The living is a perpetual
curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Sawley: the tithes
were commuted for land in 1763. The church is an
ancient edifice with a tower, and contains a private
chapel built by the Willoughby family, in the windows
of which is some stained glass.
WILNE, CHURCH, a liberty, in the parish of
Wilne, union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston
and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby;
containing 223 inhabitants.
Wilne, Far, or Great, with Shardlow
WILNE, FAR, or GREAT, with Shardlow, a township, in the parish of Aston-upon-Trent, union of
Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch,
S. division of the county of Derby, 7¾ miles (S. E. by
E.) from Derby; containing 1306 inhabitants, of whom
263 are in the hamlet of Wilne, which comprises 250
acres of rich land. The Derwent runs past the village,
and soon after has its confluence with the Trent.—See
WILNECOTE, a chapelry, in the parish and union
of Tamworth, Tamworth division of the hundred of
Hemlingford, N. division of the county of Warwick,
2 miles (S. E. by S.) from Tamworth; containing 718
inhabitants. This chapelry, sometimes called Willowencote, comprises by measurement 1005 acres, chiefly
pasture land. Collieries and limekilns have been established of late; and here is a station of the Birmingham
and Derby railway. The living is a perpetual curacy;
net income, £90; patron, the Vicar of Tamworth. The
chapel, dedicated to the Holy Trinity, was rebuilt in the
year 1821, by subscription, aided by a grant from the
Wilnecote, near Alcester.—See Wilncote.
WILNECOTE, near Alcester.—See Wilncote.
WILPSHIRE, a township, in the parish, union, and
Lower division of the hundred, of Blackburn, N. division of Lancashire, 3¼ miles (N. by E.) from Blackburn; containing 281 inhabitants. This place appears
to have been the property of the Braddylls, and of the
monks of Whalley. In after times the township became
a possession of the Walmesleys, of whom Sir Thomas
Walmesley died seised of the estate in the reign of
Charles I. It was then called "Libshire alias Wilpshire,"
and the people of the district still give it the name of
Lipshaw. Lord de Tabley is now the chief proprietor.
The road from Blackburn to Whalley passes on the
eastern extremity of the township.
WILSDEN, a township, and, with Allerton, a
district parish, in the parish and union of Bradford,
wapentake of Morley, W. riding of York, 5 miles
(N. W.) from Bradford; the township containing 2684
inhabitants. This township is divided into Lower and
Upper, the former including part of the ancient manor of
Allerton, and the latter the Hallowes or Hallas estate,
Manuels, Birchin-Lee, and a small portion of Cullingworth. It comprises by measurement 2607 acres. The
lands are distinguished as the old and new cultivations,
the old separated into small farms, and the new greatly
extended and improved by the growth of the worsted
manufacture; the soil is various, but principally adapted
to dairy purposes, and the arable land to the production
of oats. The neighbourhood abounds with coal, of
which several mines are in operation, and with freestone
of good quality, which is extensively quarried, and with
which the inhabitants are supplied from one of the
quarries, for building, free of expense. The scenery is
striking, and in the north-eastern part beautifully picturesque, embracing towards Bingley an extensive prospect. At Manuels is a stream of water rising from
numerous springs, and discharging about 400 gallons
per minute; it belongs to the New Water-works' Company at Bradford. On Harden Beck is a cascade called
the Hallas Lumb, falling from two several heights of five
and fifteen feet, and, from its partial concealment by
precipitous and thickly-wooded rocks, having a singularly romantic appearance. The village, which is chiefly
modern, consists of a long line of detached and irregularly-built houses, stretching along the northern acclivity
of an eminence rising from Harden beck. Its inhabitants are chiefly employed in the worsted manufacture,
which is carried on to a very great extent, there being
not less than eleven mills and factories. A mechanics'
institution was erected in 1827. The church (St. Matthew's), erected near the village, in 1823, by the Church
Commissioners, at an expense of nearly £10,000, was
consecrated on the 1st of November, 1826; it is a
handsome structure in the later English style, with a
square embattled tower crowned by pinnacles, and contains 1400 sittings, of which 600 are free. The living is
a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of
Bradford; net income, £150. There are places of worship for Independents and Wesleyans.
Wilsford (St. Mary)
WILSFORD (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of
Sleaford, wapentake of Flaxwell, parts of Kesteven,
county of Lincoln, 4½ miles (W. S. W.) from Sleaford;
containing 429 inhabitants. A Benedictine priory, a cell
to the abbey of Bee, in Normandy, was founded here in
the reign of Stephen; at the suppression of alien houses
it was settled on the abbey of Bourn, in this county, and
at the general Dissolution was granted to Charles, Duke
of Suffolk. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's
books at £10; net income, £500; patron and incumbent, the Rev, C. Blackenbury. The tithes were commuted for land and a money payment in 1774. The
church has a tower and spire, and exhibits an admixture
of the early and decorated English styles: the font,
which is octagonal, with concave sides, is of later date.
Wilsford (St. Michael)
WILSFORD (St. Michael), a parish, in the union
of Amesbury, hundred of Underditch, Salisbury and
Amesbury, and S. divisions of Wilts, 1¾ mile (S. W.
by W.) from Amesbury; containing, with the tything of
Lake, 123 inhabitants, of whom 49 are in Wilsford
hamlet. The parish is bounded on the east by the river
Avon; the soil is generally a light loam, and the lands
are chiefly arable, with a portion of good water-meadow.
The ancient manor-house of Lake is a remarkably fine
specimen of the Elizabethan style. The living is a
vicarage, with that of Woodford consolidated, in the
patronage of the Bishop of Salisbury; income, £241.
Wilsford-Dauntsey (St. Nicholas)
WILSFORD-DAUNTSEY (St. Nicholas), a parish,
in the union of Pewsey, hundred of Swanborough,
Devizes and N. divisions of Wilts, 4½ miles (W. S. W.)
from Pewsey; containing, with the tything of Manningford-Bohun, 587 inhabitants, of whom 304 are in Wilsford-Dauntsey township. The living is a vicarage, valued
in the king's books at £8. 17. 11.; net income, £242;
patron and impropriator, the Master of the Hospital of
St. Nicholas, Salisbury.
Wilshampstead (All Saints)
WILSHAMPSTEAD (All Saints), a parish, in the
union of Redbornestoke, union and county of Bedford, 4 miles (S. by E.) from Bedford; containing 763
inhabitants. The parish is divided by the road between
Bedford and Luton, which runs nearly north and south.
It comprises 3014a. 1r. 30p., exclusively of ground occupied by cottages and gardens. The eastern side is the
better land, bearing turnips, and being easily convertible; the soil of the western portion is more heavy,
but produces good wheat, beans, peas, barley, &c. The
female cottagers are employed in making bone-lace. The
living is a vicarage, endowed with one-third of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £9. 9. 7.;
net income, £280; patron, Lord Carteret; impropriators of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, J. C. Crook,
Esq., and another. The tithes were commuted for 269a.
2r. 28p. of land in 1809, and there is a good parsonagehouse, almost entirely built by the late incumbent, in
1816. The church is supposed to have been erected
about the time of Henry VII.; the tower fell down on
Sunday, April 11th, 1742, being probably shaken by the
ringing of the bells. There is a place of worship for
Wesleyans; and a small school is endowed with land
producing £8 per annum. Samuel Richardson, master
of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, was born here in
1698; and the Rev. John Gay, author of Prefatory Observations to King's Origin of Evil, and who died in 1745,
Wilsick, with Stancill.—See Stancill.
WILSICK, with Stancill.—See Stancill.
WILSTHORPE, a hamlet, in the parish of Sawley,
union of Shardlow, hundred of Morleston and Litchurch, S. division of the county of Derby, 8 miles
(E. S. E.) from Derby; containing 56 inhabitants. It
lies near the Nottinghamshire border, and comprises 600
acres of fertile loamy land. The Earl of Harrington is
lord of the manor, and principal owner of the soil. The
Derby and Erewash canals pass through the hamlet.
WILSTHORPE, a chapelry, in the parish of Greatford, union of Stamford, wapentake of Ness, parts of
Kesteven, county of Lincoln, 5 miles (N. W.) from
Market-Deeping; containing 70 inhabitants.
WILSTONE, a hamlet, in the parish of Tring, union
of Berkhampstead, hundred of Dacorum, county of
Hertford; containing 386 inhabitants.
WILSTROP, a township, in the parish of KirkHammerton, E. division of Ainsty wapentake, W.
riding of the county of York, 7½ miles (W. by N.) from
York; containing 86 inhabitants. It is situated on the
river Nidd, and comprises by computation 1120 acres;
the village consists of scattered houses. The tithes
have been commuted for £8, payable to the perpetual
curate of Hammerton.