Rumhworth, 1242; Rumworth, 1278; Rumwrth, 1292; Romeworthe, 1346.
Rumworth is the central township, and contains the
parish church. It measures about 2½ miles from east
to west, but the average breadth is a little over a mile;
the area is 1,244 acres. The River Croal forms the
northern boundary, and from it the surface rises to
the south. In the western part of the township is the
reservoir called Rumworth Lodge.
The main road is that from Bolton to Wigan,
passing by Deane Church; to the east is that from
Bolton to Tyldesley, on which is the hamlet or suburb
of Daubhill. The London and North Western
Company's line from Bolton to Kenyon crosses the
eastern end, with a station called Rumworth and
In 1901 the population of Rumworth and Middle
Hulton was 14,053.
Agriculture is still an important industry; there are
collieries; and cotton manufactures and bleach works
are carried on.
The Bolton Industrial School is in Rumworth.
Part of the township was incorporated with Bolton
in 1872; the remainder was added in 1898.
RUMWORTH was in 1212 joined
with Lostock in Bolton as the third part
of a knight's fee, held of the lords of
Manchester. (fn. 1) In later times the Andertons of Lostock
claimed a manor in Rumworth, (fn. 2) but the Hultons of
Hulton and Farnworth were usually said to hold the
third part of a fee in Rumworth and Lostock, performing suit of court and rendering for sake fee 4s. 6d.,
for ward of Lancaster Castle 3s. 6d., and puture of
the serjeant and foresters. (fn. 3) The last-named service
was commuted into payments of 28s. and 16s. respectively from the fourteen oxgangs of land in Rumworth, and the eight oxgangs of Lostock. (fn. 4)
With Farnworth the manor of Rumworth was purchased by the Hultons of Over Hulton, and has
descended in this family. (fn. 5) Sir Charles Tempest, the
heir of the Andertons, had a large estate in the township.
The local surname occurs, (fn. 6) but nothing is known of
The Hospital of the Savoy had a rent-charge of
5 marks out of the manor of Rumworth. (fn. 7)
The contributors to the land tax in 1789 were
Henry Blundell, who paid nearly five-sixths,—Blackburne, and William Hulton. (fn. 8)
The inclosure award is preserved at Preston.
The parish church of Deane has been described
above. St. George the Martyr's, Daubhill, was built
in 1880; the patronage is vested in trustees. (fn. 9)
The school at Deane was endowed in 1636; it
probably existed already.