Townships
Castleton

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Pages

201-206

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Castleton', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5 (1911), pp. 201-206. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53028 Date accessed: 20 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CASTLETON

Castelton, 1292. Berdeshull, 1261.

This township, which takes its name from a castle formerly situated on the south bank of the Roch, a little distance west of the church, (fn. 1) has an area of 3,812 acres, lying on the south side of the river just named. The town of Rochdale now occupies a large portion of the area. The ancient hamlets were: Castleton Glebe, 237½ acres; Marland (including two detached portions), 1,837½ Buersill (with a detached portion), 1,141; Lower Lane, 285; Newbold, 310. The surface is comparatively level, sloping somewhat towards the north.

The principal roads are those from Rochdale southwest and west through Marland to Bury, with a branch south through Castleton village, formerly called Blue Pits, to Middleton and Manchester; south through Buersill and Balderstone to Oldham; and east to Milnrow. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway from Manchester to Halifax passes through the township, having stations at Castleton and Rochdale; near the former is a junction with the line from Bury, and to the east of the latter branches go off south-east to Oldham and north-west to Bacup. An electric tramway extends to Middleton. The Rochdale and Manchester Canal, formed about 1802–4, starts at Rochdale and goes through Castleton village; on the south side of Rochdale it is joined by the rather earlier Todmorden Canal, which provides conveyance into Yorkshire.

Heywood Cemetery lies in the north-west corner of the township. At Marland is the hospital for infectious diseases, formerly the workhouse; it was purchased by the Corporation of Rochdale in 1886.

On the north side of Marland, by the Roch, is a wooded clough known as Tyrone's Bed, a story invented by Roby and William Nuttall (d. 1840) gaining currency that the Earl of Tyrone, outlawed by Elizabeth, took refuge there. (fn. 2) Kill Danes, 'by the Castle Hill, has, of course, the explanation that Danish invaders were slain there at some remote time. (fn. 3)

Part of Castleton was taken into the borough of Rochdale on its formation in 1856. A local board for the remainder was created in 1875, (fn. 4) but the boundaries were afterwards altered. (fn. 5) The district became a township in 1894, (fn. 6) but was taken into the borough of Rochdale in 1900. (fn. 7) The former township of Castleton is now chiefly within Rochdale borough; but small parts lie within the borough of Heywood and the new township of Milnrow.


Castleton Hall

A 'mine' in Castleton, perhaps a stone quarry, is mentioned in 1365. (fn. 8)

Manors

The manor of MARLAND and 9 oxgangs of land in CASTLETON were given to Stanlaw Abbey by Roger and Henry de Lacy and others. (fn. 9) The abbots probably regarded all their lands in Rochdale as forming one manor; but afterwards each of the purchasers appears to have regarded his share as a separate 'manor.' At the confiscation James Gartside was the monks' bailiff, and it was recorded that once a year a court had been kept at 'Overland,' all their tenants attending. (fn. 10)

The Castleton estate was in 1542 sold by Henry VIII to Robert Holt of Stubley, (fn. 11) and the family afterwards made Castleton their chief residence. (fn. 11a) Like Stubley it descended to the Chethams and Winstanleys. (fn. 12) The hall was by Clement Winstanley in 1772 sold or mortgaged to persons (fn. 13) who eleven years later sold it to James Walmsley of Goose Lane; and he sold it to Thomas Smith of Sparth. Ellen, one of his daughters and co-heirs, carried it in marriage to the Entwisles of Foxholes.

CASTLETON HALL is an irregularly-shaped twostoried stone-built house, its principal front facing east (fn. 13a) towards the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, which passes close by it. The building is said to have been built in the reign of Elizabeth, and is described in 1626 as 'a fair mansion house, being built with freestone,' to which were attached 'stables, oxhouse, and dovehouse, also gardens, orchards, and courts.' (fn. 14) Part of this late 16th or early 17th-century house yet stands, retaining most of its ancient features, including the hall with its bay window and kitchen wing at the north end, and the mullioned windows and stone gables. The south wing seems to have been pulled down in 1719, when the rectangular pile of building, which now forms the larger part of the house, was built by Samuel Chetham. It is in a simple classic style with high sash windows, overhanging cornice, and hipped roof, has a frontage of 62 ft. 9 in., and stands 26 ft. in front of the older portion of the house at its south end. At this point is a good lead rain-water head dated 1719. The back of the building has an irregular outline made up by additions and rebuildings of later dates, of no particular interest.

The great hall now forms the principal entrance to the house, the door being at its north-east corner. It is 30 ft. in length and 21 ft. in width, with a paved stone floor, and has a bay window 10 ft. wide and 5 ft. 6 in. deep at the south-east. In addition to the bay window it is lit on the east side by a seven-light mullioned and transomed window. The walls are panelled in oak to the height of the top of the doorways, leaving a plain plaster frieze above, and the ceiling is of plaster, probably of the 18th century, with moulded ribs. In the upper lights of one of the windows is a series of shields representing the arms of the Holts and their alliancess: (fn. 15) Radcliffe of Todmorden, Radcliffe of Ordsall, Talbot of Salesbury, Stanley, Towneley of Towneley, Legh of Adlington, and Byron of Clayton.

In the lower part of the window are the arms of Hopwood of Hopwood and of Chetham.

In the upper part of another window are the arms of Seyvell of Tankersley, (fn. 16) Holt of Gristlehurst, Atherton of Atherton, Robert Holt of Castleton, Assheton of Middleton, and Trafford of Trafford. In the lower lights are Entwisle of Foxholes, and Smith of Castleton.

There are also fragments of heraldic and German glass inserted, dated 1616 and 1630, but they have no connexion with the house. The kitchen is on the north side of the hall, and is 26 ft. long and 17 ft. 3 in. in width, with a fireplace opening 12 ft. wide and 3 ft. 6 in. deep on its north side, now filled with a modern range. It is lit by a six-light mullioned and transomed window at the east end, and the ceiling is crossed by three beams.


Castleton Hall: The Main Staircase

A small oak staircase with twisted balusters gives access from the back of the hall to the upper rooms of the older part of the house.

At the south-east corner of the hall, near to the bay window, a door opens into the main corridor of the 18th-century wing, which contains two lofty rooms on the ground floor with elaborate plaster ceilings. Both rooms are panelled and have good fireplaces, and are excellent examples of the style of the period. The staircase, which leads from the corridor close to the door from the older part of the building, is a fine example of early 18th-century Renaissance detail, with large open twisted balusters and massive square carved newels.

Marland was in 1540 sold by the Crown to Thurstan Tyldesley, together with the Whalley lands in Swinton. (fn. 17) In the time of Elizabeth it was purchased by the Radcliffes of Langley, (fn. 18) and by them sold in 1630 to the Holts of Stubley. (fn. 19) A local family took its surname from the place. (fn. 20)

BUERSILL (fn. 21) was an estate anciently held by the Hospitallers. (fn. 22) About 1540 the tenant was John Stafford, who paid a quit-rent of 13d. (fn. 23) It was afterwards sold to the Byrons, (fn. 24) who sold it to a large number of occupying holders. (fn. 25) In 1626 the quitrent was payable to the Earl of Derby. At the same time James Halliwell of Pike House had land there. (fn. 26) BALDERSTONE gave its name to a local family, (fn. 27) who were succeeded by the Holts, (fn. 28) Gartsides, (fn. 29) and Heywoods; (fn. 30) but there had been much subdivision, and Robert Heywood in 1626 had but a few acres. The chief holders were Robert Holt, (fn. 31) and Charles son of John Holt, (fn. 32) the latter having the hall. The Chethams of Nuthurst long held the Slack in Balderstone, (fn. 33) and as heirs of the Buckleys had a rent-charge in Balderstone. (fn. 34) The moor of Buersill appears to have been long in dispute between the owners of Balderstone and Butterworth. (fn. 35) LOWER PLACE was in 1626 held by Robert Holt, in virtue of a gift by his great-grandfather Thomas Holt. (fn. 36)

NEIVBOLD anciently gave a surname to the owners, (fn. 37) and in 1626 James Newbold held 74 acres there by knight's service, and John Newbold held 10 acres. (fn. 38) The other tenants were Richard Schofield, who held 72 acres which had formerly belonged to the Buckley family; (fn. 39) and Edward Butterworth, who held 32 acres for which a rent of 6d. was due to Richard Schofield.

Newbold Hall is a small two-storied stone building occupying three sides of a quadrangle. It stands on high ground facing north-east, about a quarter of a mile south-west of Belfield Hall, and separated from it by the valley of the Stanney Brook. The situation must originally have been a fine one, but the house now fronts on to a narrow street, and is in the midst of mean surroundings. The building appears to date from the 16th century, with later work in parts, and the north wing, which was until recently used as a public-house, has been almost entirely modernized and rebuilt. The central and south wings of the original building remain, but are in a sadly dilapidated condition. The house has been divided into tenements, but only two portions are at present (1908) occupied, and the rest of the building is rapidly going to decay. The walls are constructed of rough stones in narrow courses, and the quoins, which are of a hard gritstone, are of great size, some being 4 ft. long. The roofs are covered with grey stone slates, and the windows have all been originally long mullioned openings without transoms. Some of the old windows remain, but others are built up or modernized. The south wing of the house is almost detached from the centre portion, and may possibly have been added subsequently to the original building. What is now the central wing has a projection at its south end, both back and front, of about 6 ft., forming on the front a kind of bay in the angle of the courtyard; but the plan of the original house is not quite clear. The courtyard was about 40 ft. across, but nearly one-half of it has been built upon in recent times, and a modern cottage now occupies its north side, abutting on to the north wing, and effectually destroying the original appearance of the house on this side. The wings project each about 30 ft., but the east gable of the south wing is some distance in front of that of the north owing to the broken line of the central portion of the house. The east side of the courtyard to the street is inclosed by a high stone wall with entrance gateway and welldesigned 17th-century gate piers, the caps of which are placed diagonally and have ball finials. The gateway was formerly in the centre of the court, between the two wings, but when the north end of the courtyard was built upon was removed to its present position in the centre of the east wall of the now reduced quadrangle. The principal entrance to the house was under a four-centred arched doorway in the northwest corner of the courtyard, but this is now hidden by the new building. The house is a good example of the smaller stone-built halls of this part of the county, which form a striking contrast to the prevalent wood and timber construction of the less hilly districts.

Roger Chadwick of Warmhole in Spotland held 43 acres in Castleton in 1626. (fn. 40)

Among the estates may be named Goose Lane, Hartley, and Crossfield. (fn. 41) In 1626 there was some copyhold land in Castleton hamlet.

In addition to the places of worship named in the account of Rochdale, the following have in recent times been erected in Castleton: —For the Church of England, St. Martin's, Castleton Moor, 1862, (fn. 42) and All Souls, 1899, the Bishop of Manchester collating to each; for the Wesleyans, United Free Methodists, and Congregationalists, (fn. 43) one each.

Footnotes

1 The phrase 'Villa Castelli de Racheham' occurs in an early 13th-century charter; Whalley Coucher (Chet. Soc.), ii, 599. The castle ditch is named in another deed; ibid. ii, 608. A plan of the castle hill in 1823 will be found in H. Fishwick, Rochdale, 65. Nothing is known of the history of the castle.
2 Harland and Wilkinson, Traditions, 60.
3 The real meaning of the name is supposed to be 'Well Valley'.
4 Lond. Gaz. 2 July 1875.
5 Parts of Hopwood and Thornham were included in 1879; 42 & 43 Vict. cap. 86.
6 Loc. Govt. Bd. Order, 32287.
7 Loc. Govt. Bd. Order P 1639; at the same time a small part was included in Heywood; ibid. P 1640.
8 De Banco R 419, m. 102; Abbot of Whalley v. Roger Brown.
9 A large number of charters relating to the Rochdale estates of the abbey will be found in the Whalley Courber (Chet. Soc.). In 1212 the abbey held 6 oxgangs in alms by grant of Roger de Lacy, and in 1358 it was stated that Roger had granted 4 oxgangs in Castleton, as well as the manor of Marland, and that Henry de Lacy had afterwards added 5 oxgangs in Castleton, all which grants had been duly confirmed; Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 40; Assize R. 438, m. 4.
The grant of Marland seems to have been due to Alan de Marland, who about 1200 gave his estate there—which, it appears, was a moiety—to Roger de Lacy, who soon afterwards transferred it to the monks of Stanlaw with Alan's concurrence. A rent of 40d. was due to Hugh de Eland; Whalley Coucher, ii, 590–3, This land probably counted as 2 of the 6 oxgangs recorded in 1212. The other moeity was given to the monks by Adam de Bury, who had procured its surrender by his tenant Thomas de Bamford; a rent of 32d. was due from this portion; ibid. ii, 593–5. The rent due to the chief lords amounted to 6s. In 1304 William de Lightollers, perhaps heir of the chief lord of the second moiety of Marland, released to the monks all his right in the grange of Marland and lands in Castleton; ibid. ii, 631.
Roger de Lacy also granted 4 oxgangs in Castleton; ibid. i. 153. As the charter is placed among those relating to the church, it is probable that these were the 4 oxgangs afterwards appropriated to the vicarage; and in turn may be indentical with those granted by Henry de Eland to Alexander son of Andrew the priest, at a rent of 32d., which Andrew the son of Alexander de Castleton granted to Stanlaw, together with his title in the mill of Sudden; ibid. ii, 607, 606. John de Lacy also gave 4 oxgangs, perhaps the same, which had belonged to Humphrey de Lascales and released his claim to the mill; ibid. ii, 601–2. Some other grants appear to be surrenders by the actual occupiers of the lands; thus Ellis son of Award Brown gave to the monks an oxgang, which he held by the service of serjeanty; ibid. ii, 610, 612. John son of Reynold the Gynour also gave an oxgang, called the Great Bromytod (now Brimrod); ibid. ii, 609. This account is not quite satisfactory, as the total rent due to the chief lord should have been 12s., whereas only 8s. 8d. or 9s. is recorded above.
In 1277 Henry de Lacy gave to Stanlaw 5 oxgangs in Castleton, previously held at will by the monks; ibid. ii, 595. The monks appear to have purchased from the occupiers; thus Adam son of Dolphin de Healy gave 2 oxgangs, lying beside the Roch, to his brother Henry, at a rent of 16d., and Henry gave them to Stanlaw for 16s. 8d., surrendering also his claim to Sudden mill; ibid. ii, 596–8. He sold a further oxgang, held of Robert de Flamborough, at a rent of 8d.; and Robert not only confirmed the grant, but added two more oxgangs, purchased from the above-named Adam, to be held at a rent of 16d., the monks giving him 20s.; ibid. ii, 598–600.
Many place and field names occur in the charters; a 'dead water' called Twofoldhee lay near the Roch, some way to the west of the castle; ibid. ii, 608, 603.
The Abbot of Stanlaw had £3 assized rent in Rochdale in 1291; Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 259.
The tenure of the lands of the monks appears to have been as uneventful as usual. In 1306 Isabel widow of Robert de Liversedge claimed dower in Castleton against the abbot; the third of a rent of 7s. 4d. was included; De Banco R. 160, m. 113 d.; 161, m. 343. This would be the chief rent of the 5 oxgangs last acquired. In 1353 the Abbot of Whalley successfully resisted a claim for a rent of 6s. as due from his manor of Marland to the Duke of Lancaster; Assize R. 435, m. 11 d. In the time of Richard 11 and Henry IV the abbot had to make good his title to a number or parcels alleged to have been alienated without the royal licence; Q.R. Memo. R. 159; L.T.R. Memo. R. 163, m. xiii; 166, m.113.
Licences of alienation to Whalley Abbey may be seen in cal. Pat. 1330–4, p. 384; 1340–3, p. 23; 1343–5, P. 51.
Castleton Moor was recovered from the abbot; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i. 89.
10 Whalley Coucher, iv, 1224–32. Overland is perhaps an error of transcription for Merland.
11 Pat. 33 Hen. VIII, pt. 6, m. 14; there were included various messuages and lands, a mill, and a fulling-mill; also a close called Lycott in Hundersfield. 'A close called Lyrol' had been occupied by Richard Schofield, at a rent of 6s. 8d.; Whalley Coucber, iv, 1231.
11 a The Holts had land in Castleton long before they acquired the lordship; Final Conc, iii, 31; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 17. Robert Holt, who died in 1554, was found to have hled the manor of Castleton in chief, by the tenth part of a knight's fee, and a rent of 22s. 4¾d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no. 7.
12 See the account of Stubley. According to the Survey of 1626 Robert Holt held Castleton House, Gorehill, and Deeplish, with 464 acres of land, and nearly 400 acres in Castleton Moor; Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxi, 4, 9. The manors of Castleton, Naden, and Marland were held by James Holt and Dorothy his wife in 1704; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 269, m. 12.
13 Com. Pleas Recov. R. Trin. 13 Geo. III, m. 124.
13 a More correctly south-east.
14 Fishwick, Rochdale in the beginning of the 17th Century (Hist. Soc. of Lancs. and Ches. xxxviii 1886).
15 Fishwick, Hist. of the Parish of Rockdale, 310–11.
16 Ibid. 311.
17 Pat. 32 Hen. VIII, pt. 4. For the Tyldesleys see the account of Wardley in Eccles.
18 Richard Radcliffe and Owen his son and heir apparent in 1565 purchased from Thurstan Tyldesley, Margaret his wife, and other members of the family, ten messuages, 1,000 acres of land, 2,000 acres of moor, &c, in Marland, Castleton, and Spotland; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 27, m. 202. Owen Radcliffe and Edmund Radcliffe secured the same estate, or an additional portion of it, from William Sherington, Elizabeth his wife, and Gilbert Sherington in 1578; ibid, bdle. 40, m. 8. Owen Radcliffe in 1589 made a settlement of his estate in Castleton and Spotland; ibid. bdle. 51, m. 42.
An account of Langley and its owners will be found under Middleton. In 1604 Edmund Radcliffe died in possession of ten messuages, lands, &c, in Marland, not described as a manor, held of the king by the hundredth part of a knight's fee; he held other messuages, &c, in Castleton by services unknown, and others in Spotland of Sir John Byron ; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 21–2. In 1626 Henry Radcliffe, the only freeholder mentioned, held 720 acres in Marland, which he had received from his great-uncle Richard Radcliffe; Raines MSS. xxi, 10. Henry died in 1630 holding the manor of Marland' of the king by knight's service; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 25.
19 Robert Holt purchased the manor of Marland with messuages, lands, &c., in Marland and Castleton, from Richard Radcliffe and Elizabeth Radcliffe, widow. The vendors gave warranties against the heirs and assigns of Henry Radcliffe (father of Richard), Edmund Radcliffe, Owen Radcliffe, and Richard the father of Owen; Pal. of Lane. Feet of F. bdle. 117, no. 11; Clowes D. no. 20.
20 For the earlier bearers of the name see Whalley Coucher. Henry Marland was vicar of Rochdale from 1426 to 1455. For later members of it see Fishwick, op. cit. 312.
21 It gave a name to residents; see Whalley Coucher, ii ; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), 34.
22 See Plac. de Quo Warr. (Rec. Com.), 375.
23 Rental in Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 84; the rent should no doubt be 13½d., as in the manor survey of 1626.
24 Twelve messuages, lands, &c, in Nether Buersill and Castleton were in 1554 sold to Sir John Byron by William Stafford and Lawrence son of John Stafford; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 15, m. 6. The manor of Buersill is named among the Byron estates in 1582; ibid, bdle. 44, m. 223.
25 Survey of 1626; Raines MSS. xxi, 21. The acreage is given as 680.
26 Ibid. 23.
27 Adam de Balderstone attested a charter in the time of Henry III; Whalley Coucher, iii, 645; John son of Hugh de Balderstone in 1290 released to the monks of Stanlaw his right in the service of Richard son of Andrew de Haworth; ibid, iii, 723. Henry de Balderstone about 1300 made a grant of all his part of the waste of Buersill Moor to Sir Richard de Byron; Byron Chartul. no. 68/176. More extended grants were made by Henry de Balderstone to Sir Richard and Sir James de Byron in 1347 and 1348 respectively ; ibid. no. 19/188, no. 21/189. This was perhaps a trust, for Sir James at once granted them back to Henry for a term of sixteen years ; ibid. no. 22/200.
28 Thomas Urmston in 1414 released to trustees, including James Holt, all his right in lands in Castleton formerly belonging to Henry de Balderstone; Dods. MSS. cxvii, fol. 164. Shortly afterwards the estate is found in possession of James del Holt and Eleanor his wife; a settlement made in 1419 gives remainders, in default of male issue, to Henry del Holt, bastard, Elizabeth wife of Ellis de Buckley, and Agnes wife of Bernard de Butterworth. James was a son of Geoffrey del Holt; ibid.
From a plea of 1424 it is evident that James de Chetham (of Nuthurst) and Eleanor his wife (a daughter of Ellis de Buckley) had a share of the estate; ibid. It was afterwards settled on the above-named Elizabeth Buckley. James Holt dying without heir Henry Holt succeeded, and was followed by his son Henry, who died in 1520 without male issue. He was known as Henry Holt of Balderstone, and held nine messuages, 300 acres of land, &c, in Castleton, of the king as of his duchy by services unknown; the heir was Ellis Buckley son of Richard, grandson of the above Ellis and Elizabeth Buckley, aged forty years; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 31.
29 In 1557–8 Roger Gartside claimed against Gabriel, bastard son of James Gartside, four messuages, 200 acres of land, &c, in Castleton, which Henry Marland and others had [about 1450] given to Agnes Gartside, Elizabeth Townley, and Alice Belfield, daughters of a certain Henry Holt; the lands were afterwards divided, and James Gartside, as son and heir of the said Agnes, had granted her share to Roger as his brother and heir; Dods. MSS. cxvii, fol. 166; Pal. of Lane. Plea R. 203, m. 7 ; 204, m. 14.
Henry's daughters did not obtain their right without a lawsuit; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 200; ii, 40; Fishwick, Rochdale, 318.
By a settlement in 1565 Roger Gartside and Isabel his wife provided that their estate of six messuages, lands, &c., in Castleton should descend to their daughters Margery and Agnes, the latter being then wife of Robert Holt; Pal. of Lane. Feet of F. bdle. 27, m. 166. A partition or sale of lands in Castleton was in 1579 made by Charles Holt, Peter Heywood and Margery his wife, John Holt, and Thomas Holt and Robert his son and heir, acting together; ibid. bdle. 41, m. 14. Peter Heywood and Margery his wife held six messuages, &c, in Castleton in 1580; ibid. bdle. 42, m. 50. Peter Heywood held of Robert Savile or of John Bradyll; Ducatus, iii, 22, 35,43.
30 In 1590 part of the land (26 acres) was granted to Peter Heywood and Mary [Margery] his wife, daughter and co-heir of Roger Gartside, who in 1626 were represented by their son Robert Heywood; Surv. of 1626 (p. 8). Margery Heywood, widow of Peter, had died in 1602, holding six messuages, &c, in Castleton of John Holt of Stubley, and leaving a son and heir Robert, then aged twentynine; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xviii, no. 47.
31 He is described as 'grandson of Charles Holt of Stubley,' and held 72 acres; Surv. 7. Thus he was not the Robert son of Thomas of the fine of 1579 quoted above.
Charles Holt appears as purchaser from James Chadwick in 1564; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 26, m. 196, 239. He had a messuage and lands in Castleton in 1574, which in the following year he granted for life to Ottiwell Holt, Isabel his wife, and Alexander his son; ibid. bdle. 36, m. 134; 37, m. 93. Ottiwell Holt was of Brimrod; the pedigree is given (Holt of Mosside, Marland) in Fishwick, Rochdale, 330–3.
32 Surv. 7; he held 64 acres.
John Holt had in 1577—perhaps by purchase from the heirs of Henry Holt— an estate of eight messuages, lands, &c., in Balderstone, Castleton, and Hundersfield; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 39, m. 139. Charles Holt in the following year purchased land from John Talbot and Robert his bastard son; ibid. bdle. 40, m. 68. John Talbot and Mary his wife had in 1566 sold a messuage and lands in Balderstone and Kirkholt to George Cowper, and purchased others from William Charnley, Thomas Lussell and Jane his wife ; ibid, bdle. 28, m. 212, 242 ; see also Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 238, 317.
Charles Holt died in 1628 holding the capital messuage called Balderstone Hall, with water-mill, messuages, and lands in Balderstone below Castleton; also messuages, &c, in Walsden in Hundersfield. The Balderstone estate was held of Robert Holt of Stubley. His heir was his grandson John, son of Samuel Holt, aged nearly sixteen years; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 11.
John Holt's son Richard sold Balderstone Hall in 1713 to Timothy Whitehead of Lidyate in Saddleworth, and it has changed hands several times since then. Herbert Radcliffe owned it at his death in 1904. See Fishwick, Rochdale, 320.
33 Thomas de Chetham, who died in 1383, held land called the Slack of the heirs of Henry de Balderstone in socage; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1463. This appears to be the messuage and land in Castleton recorded in later inquisitions, the tenure being unknown; e.g. Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 62. In 1521 Thomas Chetham of Nuthurst and John Cudworth of Werneth became bound to Alice Holt of Balderstone to abide an arbitration as to the Slack; Clowes D. no. 1. Alice, who was the widow of Henry Holt, appears to have surrendered the place, which in 1524 Thomas Chetham granted to his brother Ellis for life; ibid. no. 6. From a rental of 1521 it appears that Henry Holt had paid a rent of 6s. 8d. for the Slack ; ibid.
34 The estate of James de Chetham and Eleanor de Buckley his wife has been mentioned in a preceding note. In later disputes it was agreed that the Chethams should have a rent of 13s. 4d. from Balderstone. By subdivision it was increased to 13s. 6d., thus in 1677—From James Worrall, Alexander Wolstenholme, James Whitworth(two), each 1s. 1½d.—4s. 6d.; from Mrs. Holt of Balderstone, 4s. 6d.; and from Mrs. Gaskell's, for that which was John Worsley's, 4s. 6d.; Clowes D.
35 William de Slack in 1342 granted his lands in the moor to Sir Richard de Byron, who, as stated above, had already procured a grant from Henry de Balderstone; and in 1539 James Gartside granted Dykegate, &c, to John Byron ; D. in the Surv. of 1626 (Raines MSS. xxi, 28).
For a settlement of boundaries in 1552 see Fishwick, op. cit. 72 (quoting Duchy Rec. iv, C.I. 5 Edw. VI). For disputes as to the rights of pasture on the moor between Sir John Byron on one side and William Stafford and others on the other, see Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 222, 250, 274 ; ii, 92.
36 Surv. of 1626, p. 5; he held 233 acres. He was the son of Adam Holt, who died in 1621, holding lands in Castleton of John Holt of Stubley in socage by a rent of 2d.t and other lands in Wardle (including Crolesse Farm) of Sir John Byron by a rent of 13½d.; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 226–8; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxviii, no. 53. The estate descended in the family for about a century; see Fishwick, op. cit. 324–6, for pedigree.
In the same work (p. 327) will be found the pedigree of Heape of Lower Place.
A rent of 2d. had formerly been paid to Whalley Abbey by Richard Scholefield for Malymehey; Whalley Coucher, iv, 1231.
37 Several of the name occur in the Whalley Coucher. Geoffrey son of Robert de Newbold in the latter half of the 13th century gave the monks of Stanlaw a small piece of land for a tithe-barn site; it stood on the north side of the road to Butterworth; ibid, i, 161.
William son of Henry son of the Nun of Newbold gave to his lord, Geoffrey de Buckley, land in Newbold; Add. MS. 32107, no. 426.
Edward Newbold died in 1620 holding lands in Castleton and Butterworth of Sir John Byron the younger in socage by a rent of 4d., also in Hundersfield of the same by a rent of 4d. James Newbold, his son and heir, was over forty years old; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 193.
38 Surv. 16, 17; the total acreage of the hamlet is given as 295.
For later particulars of the Newbold family see Fishwick, op. cit. 314–16.
39 Surv. 16.
Henry Schofield of Humber had five messuages and lands in Castleton and Hundersfield in 1569, and settled them on his son Edward in 1583; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 31, m. 13; 45, m. 41.
Richard Schofield of 1626 was a son of Henry Schofield; he held Newbold Hall, but the estate was afterwards sold several times. About a century ago it was purchased by Joseph Newbold of Rochdale, whose son Joseph owned it in 1889; Fishwick, op. cit. 316.
40 Manor Surv. 6.
Elizabeth widow of Robert Chadwick died in 1561 holding a messuage, &c., in Castleton belonging to her husband, held of the queen in chief by knight's service. James Chadwick, brother of Robert, was heir, and sixty years of age; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 9.
James Chadwick in 1564 purchased a messuage in Castleton from Charles Holt; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 26, m. 239. William Chadwick, as lessee of Katherine Colling, widow, had in 1568 a dispute with Otwell Colling (son of Katherine) and Joan his wife, respecting the Green Marled Earth in Castleton; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 361. Robert Colling about 1540 was the tenant of Bartles in Castleton; several Chadwicks were also tenants; Wballey Coucher, iv, 1230.
41 See Fishwick, Rochdale, 321 — Walmsley of Goose Lanc; 326—Heape of Hartley; and 329—Vavasour of Crossfield.
42 The district was formed in 1863; Lond. Gaz. 13 Jan. Dr. Molesworth, vicar of Rochdale, is buried here.
43 The Congregational Church at Castleton, formerly Blue Pits, originated in 1866; a school chapel was built in 1870; Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. iii, 253.