||Gregson, Fragments (ed. Harland),
||Ibid. 18. Exactly the same townships will be found in the subsidy roll of
1332; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lanes,
and Ches.), 29, &c. It would seem that
Bolton included Great and Little Bolton,
Haulgh, Tonge, Breightmet, and Sharpies;
Turton included Longworth also; Edgeworth, Entwisle and Quarlton; Harwood, Bradshaw; and Rivington, Anglezarke. There seems nothing to show how
the Levers were assessed—probably with
||The letters of George Marsh show
that there were a number of Protestants
in the Bolton district in 1554; Foxe's
Acts and Monts. (ed. Cattley), vii, 63, 66,
||The following in 1630–2 compounded
for the two-thirds of their estates which
should have been sequestered for recusancy: Turton—Alice Orrell, £20 a year;
Blackrod—William Norris, £2, and Margaret Rogerley £4.
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1868), i, 552; the
burials at Bolton in that year were nearly
500, or four to five times the average.
Tour Through Great Britain (ed.
1738), iii, 180.
||An award by Lord Stanley in 1478
ordered certain money to be paid 'in the
church of St. Margaret of Bolton at St.
Margaret's altar'; Lever Chart. (Add.
MS. 32103), no. 190. Two of the old
bells bore invocations of St. Peter; Ch.
Gds. (Chet. Soc), 25.
||This benefactor was a cotton manufacturer and banker of the town and lived
at Halliwell Hall. He died in 1875.
||The tower was not central with the
nave, and was evidently part of an older
church, the nave of which had been pulled
down and widened about 1480. The tower
at the same time had been encased with
stone. When the building was pulled
down in 1866 it was found that the outer
2 ft. of the tower walls was a later addition which easily came away, but the
inner part, 4 ft. thick, was immensely
strong, and of older date.
In 1693 the vicar wrote: 'Our chancel
is at present out of order, the floor upon
one level, the communion table standing
in the midst and no rails, and thus it has
been ever since the late wars'; Scholes
and Pimblett, Hist, of Bolton, 158. A description of the church as it was in 1764,
with an account of the custom as to the
repairing of the building, is printed in the
same work, p. 160.
||Sir Stephen Glynne's description of
the church in 1843; Chet. Soc. Publ.
(new ser.), xxvii, 103. There is a fuller
description of the building, with illustrations, in J. C. Scholes's Hist, of Bolton
||The pieces have been reunited and
the cross erected inside the present
church, close to the door in the north
aisle. See V.C.H. Lancs. i, 264; Lancs,
and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xxii, 144.
||Four stones with lozenge pattern,
one with round billet, one with cheveron
(now lost), and part of a double Early
English cap (respond) with dog-tooth
||All these stones are now preserved
in a room in the tower, and are engraved
in Scholes's Hist, of Bolton, 125–9.
||Designed by Mr. E. G. Paley.
||Height of nave to apex of roof, 73 ft.
||The plain portions of the tower and
the lower part of the walls up to basecourse all round the church are of stone
from Bradshaw Quarry.
||Scholes, Bolton Ch. Organs (1882).
||In 1714 the church was 'surrounded
on its south aide by a vista of trees;' Book
by 'A Traveller to the North' (no title
stated), quoted by Whittle, Hist, of Bolton,
75, and by Scholes, op. cit. 141.
||Scholes, Hist. of Bolton, 192.
||The inscription on both the patens
and chalices is misleading, in indicating
that they were made in 1712, whereas the
date-letters are those of Chester for 1710
and 1711. The pieces may have been in
stock and given in exchange for the older
||a Information of Mr. W. A. Bridson,
Old Lancs. Libraries (Chet. Soc), 50.
||a Dugdale, Mon. vii, 965.
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lanes, and
Ches.), i, 75; the rector had probably
died recently, and William, Earl Ferrers,
and Agnes his wife claimed the presentation, as representing Randle, Earl of Chester, who had purchased all the Marsey
estate in Lancashire.
The name of an early rector has been
preserved, 'Henry, parson of Bolton,'
being witness to a grant by the Prior of
Birkenhead probably near the beginning
of the 13th century, 'David, priest of
Eccles,' being another witness; Towneley MS. C, 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), L, 52;
Bracton's Note Bk. 130 (1222).
A writ to the sheriff De vi laica amovenda was issued in 1247–8; Close, 62,
m. 13 d.
||The grant by the Master of the Gilbertines and the Prior and convent of
Marsey, made in 1252, has been printed,
with other documents from the Lichfield
Registers, by Scholes and Pimblett, op.
cit. 93, &c. For the rent of £10 see
Dugdale, Mon. vii, 966.
||The foundation of the prebend, with
the simultaneous ordination of a vicarage
at Bolton, is dated 31 March 1253. The
archdeacon was to pay to the priory the
above-mentioned rent of £10; to the
church of Lichfield 100s. a year, in 'augmentation of the daily distribution of the
vicar ministering in the same church';
and to the vicar of Bolton, £10. The
new arrangement was to come into effect
on the death or resignation of the then
rector; Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 94.
Confirmation was obtained from the chapters of Lichfield and Coventry, and from
the pope; ibid. 95, 96. An apparently
earlier record of this prebend of Bolton
may be otherwise explained; see Dugdale,
Mon. viii, 1257, 1258.
Accordingly, in 1291, the prebend of
Bolton in Lichfield Cathedral was taxed
at £13 6s. 8d., as held by the Archdeacon of Chester, and Bolton was omitted
from the churches of the deanery of Manchester; Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 244.
In 1305 the tithes seem to have been
farmed out for £36 19s.; this included
7s. for 'the fourth part of Lever,' per.
haps Great Lever, in which township the
church had a grant of land; Scholes and
Pimblett, op. cit. 97, 98.
The church was in 1341 stated to be
untaxed because it was annexed to the
archdeaconry of Chester, but the value of
the ninth of sheaves, &c, was returned as
£8 16s. 8d., viz.: From Bolton, 53s. 4d.;
Harwood with Bradshaw, 30s.; Edgeworth with Entwisle, 8s.; Turton, 24s.;
Little Lever, 10s. 8d.; Lostock, 5s.;
Blackrod, 26s. 8d.; Anglezarke, 2s. 8d.;
Longworth, 3s. 4d.; and Rivington, 13s.;
Inq. Non. (Rec. Com.), 39.
The value of the prebend was estimated
at £13 6s. 8d. in 1535, and the £5 paid
to the vicars choral appears; Valor Eccl.
(Rec. Com.), v, 226; iii, 132, 136. In
1529 the archdeacon, William Knight,
agreed to lease the rectory for sixty years
to Alexander Lever for £40, the accusome d rent to be paid, but the bargain fell
through; Duchy of Lane. Plead, xxix,
L 2 (printed by Scholes and Pimblett, op.
cit. 101–3). In 1539 the rectory was
leased to Thurstan Tyldesley for sixty
years at a rent of £26, the lessee also pay.
ing the pensions to the vicar of Bolton and
the vicars choral of Lichfield; ibid. 104.
||Ibid. 106. In 1609 the bishop leased
the rectory to James Anderton of Lostock,
the old rent of £26 being payable. In
1670 Sir Orlando Bridgeman secured a
lease, the full clear profits to go to the
vicar of Bolton, and Sir John Bridgeman
had a similar lease in 1698; the same
family continued to hold the rectory
similarly until recently. The Ecclesiastical
Commissioners in 1840 came into possession of this and other episcopal estates,
and from the expiry of the last lease have
had the whole benefit of the rectory. Full
details are given by Scholes and Pimblett,
op. cit. 108–22. See also Commonwealth
Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.)
30–4, giving the value in 1650.
||The bishop was patron in 1543;
Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 242.
||That is, the rectory is held by the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners for the benefit of the bishopric; and the bishop pre.
sents to the vicarage.
||Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 94. The
vicar was to be 'a fit priest'; he was
obliged to reside, having entire charge of
the parish, and was to have a chaplain and
other necessary ministers. The stipend
of £10 and 3s. as the value of the house
and garden are the only income recorded
in 1535; Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v,
226. In 1650 the vicar received about
£9 from the sequestrators of the rectory,
and £3 from the glebe land and six little
cottages thereon, besides having the use of
the house; Commonwealth Ch. Surv. 30.
||Gastrell, Notitia, ii, 6; the amount
was thus made up:—House and glebe,
£10; pension, £10; chief rents, 15s. 4d.;
and surplice fees, £15 6s. 8d. The clear
profits of the rectory, which by the lease
of 1670 were to go to the vicar, are not
accounted for; but a statement drawn up
about the same time shows that they
were worth over £40 clear; Scholes and
Pimblett, op. cit. 114. Some twenty
years later, however, the value is given
as £167 10s.; ibid. 116.
A terrier compiled in 1696 is printed in
the same work, 118.
Manch. Dioc. Dir. 1910.
||There is au excellent account of the
vicars in Scholes and Pimblett's work.
||Robert de Gidlow was in 1292 nonsuted in a claim against Alexander, vicar
of Bolton, concerning certain of his
chattels which had been seized; Assize R.
408, m. 54.
||He occurs in deeds in the Lever
Chartul. (Add. MS. 32103), no. 76, 79.
||He may be the same as Randle.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. i, fol. 88. He was a
priest. In 1334 he became rector of
||Ibid, ii, fol. 110; a priest.
||He may be identical with Thomas
||Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 129. He is
called a chaplain.
||Ibid, iv, fol. 86b; a priest. His
predecessor had died on the Saturday before
All Saints' Day. A Robert de Lostock is
mentioned as vicar of Bolton in 1360, but
probably it was of some other place of
that name; Kuerden MSS. iii, W i, no.
Henry de Smetheley was still vicar in
1411; Add. MS. 32104, no. 1209; also
in 1419; Pal. of Lane. Chan. Misc.
bdle. 1, file 14.
||Lever Chartul. in an unnumbered
deed (14 Hen. VI), between no. 207 and
no. 208. In 1445 he was in mercy for
various defaulta; Pal. of Lane. Plea R.
8, m. 11.
There appears to have been a dispute
over his appointment, for a deed of 1461
among the Weld-Blundell muniments
states that the Heaton family had received
a corrody or livery from Marsey Priory on
renouncing their claim to the patronage
of Bolton Church, and that on the death
of one Robert Heaton the prior had made
terms with the heir by which the corrody
was resigned and John Coventry was
allowed to have the vicarage; Ch. Gds.
1552 (Chet Soc), 29.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. xii, fol. 104b; a
||He occurs as vicar in a Rivington
deed of the year 1474 (?); Towneley
MS. GG, no. 1717; also in a WeldBlundell deed of 1486; Church Gds. 29;
and in the same year he was a witness to
the will of John Hulton of Farnworth;
Wills (Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.), 27.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. xiii-xiv, fol. 53; a
chaplain. He was still vicar in April
1513, when he was one of the feoffees of
John Barton of Smithills; Duchy of
Lane. Inq. p.m. iv, no. 82. James Bolton
appears to have succeeded by 1516, when
the will was made; ibid.
||In 1523 it was stated that James
Bolton, priest, had been vicar for ten
years, having been nominated by the
Prior of Marsey; Scholes and Pimblett,
op. cit. 240. His name occurs also in the
Valor of 1535 (v, 220), as well as in the
lists of 1 541–2, 1548, and 1554. Particulars of his suits of the last date respecting tithes are printed in Scholes and Pimblett, loc. cit. A James Bolton was at
Cambridge in 1503–4; Grace Bk. B.
(Luard Mem.), 192.
||Church P. at Chest. Dioc. Reg. The
bishop in 1543 granted the next presentation to George Wilmesley and Richard
Smith, two of his officials, who next year
transferred it to Hamnet Ditchfield of
Chester, John Whitby, a vicar choral of
St. John's Chester, and Richard Falkner,
priest-chanter of the same church; see
Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 242–5.
Thomas Pendlebury was ordained
priest in 1544; W. F. Irvine, Ordin. Bk.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 56.
||He was vicar in 1563, but at the
time of the visitation was absent, 'with
the Bishop of Durham'; Visit. List; see
also Ches. Sheaf (ser. 3), i, 34. Ten years
later it was reported that he had a pension
of £5 6s. 8d. out of the late monastery of
Gisburn (Guisborough), and another of
£6 out of the late college of Bishop
Auckland, and dwelt at Bolton; Ch.
Gds. 25. It thus appears that he had
been an Austin Canon; Ord, Cleveland,
192. Robert Lever, by his will of Aug.
1 551, bequeathed 'unto the vicar of Bolton, Edward Cockerell, 3s. 4d., to pray for
me'; Wills (Chet. Soc. new ser.), i, 221;
but the date seems erroneous.
||Act Bks. at Chester. Smith paid
first-fruits on 14 Feb. 1583–4; Lancs. and
Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii,
410. He was 'a preacher,' but not 'painful'; S.P. Dom. Eliz. xxxi, 47. He was
buried in the church 28 Dec. 1593; his
wife followed on 10 May 1600.
||Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 248.
He was of Christ's College, Cambridge,
and then of Magdalene; M.A. 1588. He
became a vicar choral of Christ Church,
Dublin, in 1595, and Dean of Raphoe in
1603; Cooper, Athenae Cantab, ii, 527.
||He was of St. John's College, Cambridge, and appointed master of Rivington
School in 1589; Baker, Hist. St. John's
Coll. (ed. Mayor), 1,431. He paid firstfruits 10 July 1595; Lancs. and Ches.
Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii,
||He paid first-fruits 17 Feb. 1598–9;
ibid. He graduated at Oxford (Brasenose
College), M.A., 1592; Foster, Alumni.
He was a native of Breightmet, and in
religion a resolute Puritan. A full account
of his career is given in Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 252–6, where a summary of
his will is also given.
On 9 Aug. 1607 a licence was granted
for the marriage of Ellis Saunderson, vicar
of Bolton, and Margery Battersby of
||A native of Bolton, and educated at
Emmanuel College, Cambridge, he became
a Nonconformist, and took refuge in Holland in 1630; he returned to Bolton in
1644 and was appointed lecturer, but expelled in 1662, after which he continued
to minister to the Nonconformists of the
district; Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit.
257–61. There is also a notice of him in
Dict. Nat. Biog.
The institutions from this time have
been compared with the list in Lancs, and
Cbes. Antiq. Notes from the Institution
||He was probably the William Gregge
of Brasenose College, Oxford, who graduated as B.A. in 1622; Foster, Alumni.
This vicar seems to have been appointed
to restore some sort of discipline in the
parish, a large number of excommunications taking place in the early years of
his ministry. He died at the beginning
of 1644. The church was then desecrated,
being used as a military store-house; see
Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 261–4. For
pedigree,Ormerod, Ches. (ed. Helsby),ii,34.
||He had been lecturer for some years.
He was a Puritan, and appointed vicar
by the election and consent of the people;
he was ' a man of able parts and a godly
preaching minister,' constantly preaching
on Sundays, &c, but had not observed
the fast appointed by Parliament in
1650; Commonwealth Ch. Surv. 30;
Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 265–9. He
signed the 'Harmonious Consent' in
1648 as 'pastor of Bolton.'
||He was admitted on a presentation
from the Trustees for the Maintenance of
Ministers; Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 173, 208. He was
of Emmanuel College, Cambridge, and although ordained deacon 'after the Episcopal manner,' became a zealous adherent
of the Presbyterian discipline. He refused
to conform to the Prayer Book on the
Restoration, and as the parishioners refused to pay Easter dues when the Lord's
Supper was not celebrated, the farmer of
the rectory complained to the bishop. He
was expelled from the vicarage in Aug.
1662, and continued his labours undet
difficulties among the persecuted Nonconformists; Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit.
269–75. He signed the 'Harmonious
Consent' in 1648 as 'minister of the
Gospel at Bolton,' and was described by
the 1650 Commissioners in the same
terms as John Harpur.
||He was also lecturer, and seems to
have had a troubled course; Scholes and
Pimblett, op. cit. 275, 320.
||Ibid. 276. He was a fellow of
Christ's College, Cambridge; M.A. 1661.
He left Bolton for Aldingham in Furness.
||Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 276–8;
he built the vicarage house. At the Revolution he was 'conformable'; Hist.
MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 228.
||He graduated at Oxford (Wadham
College and Hart Hall), M.A. 1687, and
became vicar of Wolston, Warwick, his
native place, in 1680; Foster, Alumni.
'A worthy, pious, and learned man,' according to the entry in the register. He
was a cousin of Bishop Cartwright and
had acted as his chaplain. In his time
two galleries were erected, and other
alterations and repairs made in the church;
Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 278, 142.
||He was of St. John's College, Oxford, and then of All Souls; M.A. 1699;
The work of restoring the church
fabric was continued by him, and a
chapel of ease was built in Little Bolton;
Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 279. Judith, his daughter and heir, married
Richard Rothwell, rector of Sefton, and
died in 1756, aged twenty-five; Manch.
School Reg. (Chet. Soc), ii, 49.
||A Memoir of this vicar by James C.
Scholes was printed at Bolton in 1889.
He was educated at Balliol College, Oxford; M.A. 1736. He had a dispute with
the parishioners in 1764 as to the liability
to repair the chancel. He was made a
justice of the peace in 1766, and a king's
preacher in 1780; Scholes and Pimblett,
op. cit. 280, 157; a portrait is given.
||He was educated at St. John's College, Cambridge; M.A. 1777. He was
also curate of Broughton-in-Furness.
||He was one of the most distinguished
vicars of Bolton, and has a memoir in
Diet. Nat. Biog. He was educated at
Manchester School and Brasenose College,
Oxford, but failed to obtain a fellowship;
M.A. 1784. He was appointed head
master of the King's School, Chester.
The story of his romantic marriage, and
of his works as author and vicar, is given
in Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 283–96,
where there is also a portrait. Mr. Bancroft was one of the high churchmen of
the time, and controverted the Calvinism
of the Evangelical party.
||He was of Pembroke College, Cambridge; B.D. 1814. He left Bolton
become rector of Teversham, near Cambridge, remaining there from 1817 t
his death in 1843, holding also the benefices of Melbourne and Willingham
||Educated at Emmanuel College,
Cambridge, of which he became fellow;
M.A. 1807. He was appointed canon of
Chester in 1816 by his father-in-law, the
Bishop of Chester, and next year
exchanged the rectory of Teversham for
Bolton with Mr. Brocklebank, and soon
after was made one of the king's preachers.
He held other benefices, being rector of
West Kirby in Cheshire from 1829 till
his death in 1860. He was a moderate
Evangelical, and an active and liberal
man, who earned the esteem of the
inhabitants generally; Scholes and Pimblett,
op. cit. 288–307. He published sermons,
&c. There is a notice of him in Dict.
||He was educated at the Church Missionary College, London, and was from
1837 to 1844 a missionary in Ceylon.
He was vicar of Bispham from 1851 to
1857. The rebuilding of Bolton Church
took place while he was vicar. He was
appointed to an honorary canonry at
Manchester in 1868; see Scholes and
Pimblett, op. cit. 307–10. He
became rector of Eaglescliffe, Durham,
||He is a son of James Atkins
translator of the Shah Námeh of Firdausi
and was educated at Eton and at Exeter
College, Oxford; M.A. 1856. He was
incumbent of Hollinwood, Oldham, from
1858 to 1861, when he was appointed
rector of St. John's, Longsight. In 1884
he was made an honorary canon of Manchester. He became vicar of Gedney
in 1896 and of St. Michael's, Coventry,
in 1900. He has written a biography of
predecessor, Canon Slade.
||Educated at Jesus College, Cambridge; M.A. 1880; was rector of Stepney 1886 to 1896; hon. canon of Manchester 1899; consecrated Bishop of Burnley 1901; translated to Southwell
||The date is that of induction. Canon
Henn was educated at Trinity Hall, Cambridge, of which he was a fellow; M.A.
1884. Honorary canon of Manchester
1903. Bishop suffragan of Burnley from
Clergy List (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and
Ches.), 13; the three were probably
chaplains at Bradshaw, Rivington, and
||The list of ornaments of the church
remaining in 1552, which included five
suits of mass vestments, is printed in
Cb. Gds. 23. The inscriptions on the
old bells are given; ibid. 25.
||These details are from the Visitation
Lists in the Diocesan Registry, Chester.
||Bolton was one of the places in
which John Bradford preached in the time
of Edward VI.
||W. Fergusson Irvine in Lancs, and
Cbes. Antiq. Soc. xiii, 59; the only chapel
of ease mentioned is Blackrod.
||Scholes and Pimblett, op. cit. 253,
254; he was in 1605 presented for 'not
residing in the parish, for not wearing a
cloak or cassock, for not going the perambulation, and for marrying in private
houses.'Four people of the town were
at the Visitation of 1623–4 presented for
killing flesh and exposing the same for
sale in Lent; Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.),
Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, M.
Commonwealth Ch. Surv. 30–6.
||The people of the district remained
attached to Presbyterianism. In reply to
the Bishop of Chester's inquiries in 1665
it was stated that the church was in
'indifferent good repair,' but the chancel
was not evenly flagged, and the communion table was not railed about. There
was a chalice with covering (the gift of a
Londoner), a flagon, and two pewter
plates, but more communion plate was
required. There was a stone font. The
only vestment was 'a surplice, as is
required. The vicarage and churchyard
were not in good condition. Interesting
are the replies as to the vicar's conduct:
'He doth usually every Lord's Day call
upon parents to prepare their children and
servants and send them to be catechised.
He catechised all that will come and would
prepare them for confirmation if their
parents would give way. He laboureth
to bring sectaries to the true religion.
He is orthodox in doctrine and of a blameless conversation.' A list of excommunicated persons is given,and one of those not
attending church. No terrier existed. An
account of the charities is given; Consist. Ct. Rec. Chester.
||In 1665 it was reported to the Bishop
of Chester that Humphrey Jones, clerk, a
Nonconformist, prayed at the house of
Richard Heywood in Little Lever; and
that Oliver and Nathaniel Heywood,
Nonconformist ubiquitaries, preached
there; Visit. P. at Chester.
In 1666 the Common Prayer Book was
stolen from the parish church, torn in
pieces, and thrown into the street channel;
and a Royalist magistrate like Sir Roger
Bradshagh felt it necessary to keep a
'strict eye' on Bolton, as holding 'the
same principles they had in the Rebellion';
Pal. Note Bk.
||Stratford's Visitation List. In 1671
it was presented at the Visitation that
the church windows were defective and
the great chancel walls decayed; there
was only one chalice, so that another had
to be borrowed every sacrament; there
were wanting a pulpit cloth, a book of
canons, and a book for recording the
names of 'strange preachers.'
In 1724 each of the six townships gave
a churchwarden to the parish, the consent
of the vicar being required in each election; Gastrell, Notitia, ii, 11.
||Among the Chester Consistory Court
Records is a return concerning Bolton,
made in 1730. The church, churchyard,
and vicarage were in good condition; a
true terrier was safely kept. The vicar
was resident, but had a living in another
diocese. The curate was licensed, and
had £30 a year. There was 'no place
in our parish where papists resorted to
hear mass. Dissenters were very numerous, but qualified with a teacher' according to the Toleration Act. There were
five consecrated chapels, all supplied by
curates:—Rivington (patrons, the people),
Blackrod (vicar), Walmsley (vicar), Turton (Samuel Chetham), and Bradshaw
(Henry Bradshaw). The churchwardens
were elected by the joint consent of vicar
and parishioners, and made ' due provision
for each communion on the first Sunday
in every month.'
Wills (Chet. Soc. new sen), i, 221.
In 1541 Robert Bolton of Little Bolton
and others assembled and broke the chapel
of Ralph Ashton in Bolton Church, called
Our Lady's Chapel; Pal. of Lanc. Writs
of Assize, Lent, 33 Hen. VIII. It was
that on the south aisle of the chancel,
later known as the Bridgeman or Bradford
Wills (Chet. Soc. new ser.), i, 85;
the north chapel, belonging to the owners
of Turton—Orrell and Chetham.
||This account of the lectureship and
its founders is taken from Scholes and
Pimblett's work, pp. 312–40, where a
list of the lecturers is given. Mr. Gosnell, it appears, though' persuaded the
religion now  established in this
kingdom to be, concerning the substance
of the articles of the doctrine of faith and
sacraments, the only true religion of God
by which men shall be saved,' was quite
unyielding in 'the matter of formality,'
and had consequently been several times
censured by the bishop. In a letter
written soon after he settled at Bolton he
says: 'Here [in Lancashire] are great
store of Jesuits, seminaries, masses, and
plenty of whoredom. The first sort our
sheriff [probably SirE. Trafford, 1583–4]
courseth pretty well. Other good news
is that the Bishop of Canterbury has not
yet, God be thanked, stung us with his
articles, which in the south parts have so
great power that, by report, they have
quenched the Lord's lights nearly to the
number of 200'; op. cit. 323, 324;
Raines in Notitia Cestr. ii, 10.
||a The new scheme for utilizing the
lecturer's endowment is printed in Scholes
and Pimblett's work, and the End. Cbar.
Rep. for Bolton County Borough, 1904,
pp. 65–70. About £1,000 a year is distributed from the fund; the gross income
is much more.
||For the older charities see Gastrell,
Notitia, ii, 15, 17, 22, 25. The summary
and notes here given are from the End.
Char. Rep. for Bolton County Borough,
1904, and for the rest of the parish, also
1904; in these reports is reprinted the
report made by the Charity Commissioners in 1828.
||The buildings are situated in Haulgh.
The orphanage is primarily for girls, fifty
being maintained at once; the religious
instruction usually was to be 'upon Protestant principles in conformity with the
Church of England'; each girl on leaving
receives an outfit costing about £10.
||Founded by James Eden of Lytham,
who died in 1874. The building is in
Little Bolton, and provides for fifty boys
and about thirty girls; the religious instruction was to be upon Protestant principles.
||This hospital was founded by Stephen
Blair in 1870, but the building was not
erected till 1882; it accommodates thirty
Bolton Infirmary has some endowments;
and £12 a year to it is paid from the
Marsden and Popplewell Educational
Charity on account of the old dispensary,
now merged in the infirmary. From
Greenhalgh's Charity £2 2s. is paid yearly
to Manchester Infirmary.
Out of the Shaw Charities for Rivington
£25 is paid for medical assistance, and, in
addition, subscriptions are given to various
||For the parish in general are the
benefactions of James Lomax, including
£1 among forty poor housekeepers attending the Whit Sunday sermon, but
now distributed among the poor of
Breightmet and Harwood; and of Nathaniel Hulton, 1691, for the benefit of
Protestant Dissenters, and for teaching
children the Assembly's catechism, or the
like; the greater part of the income of
£524 is now given to the grammar school
and girls' scholarships. The Charity of
John Guest seems to have failed, so far as
Bolton is concerned. James Gosnell, in
endowing the lectureship in 1622, directed
that one-sixth of the gross income was to
be given to the poor, half to Bolton and
the other half to Little Lever; the poor's
share is now £11 13s. 10d. The Poor
Protection and Benevolent Society has
£10 a year, left by Thomas Glaister in
Jane Astley in 1734 left £60 for
clothing for the poor attending some
Protestant place of worship; £3 is now
given in doles of flannel, &c, to persons
attending the Unitarian Chapel, Bank
Mrs. Mary Ann Briggs in 1883 left
part of her estate to the same chapel, and
from it £2 12s. 2d. is given to the poor.
||This benefactor by his will of 1894
left endowments for All Souls' Church
and Sunday Schools, and £1,350 for the
poor of the district, irrespective of religious denomination, to be distributed in
wearing apparel by the vicar and churchwardens.
He made similar provision for the
poor of the ecclesiastical district of the
||Founded in 1868 for the benefit of
St. John's Church, Little Bolton; part of
the endowment is to provide winter clothing for poor persons attending the church.
||John Popplewell in 1820 gave £4,200
stock to provide for the care of his grave,
an annual service and sermon in the parish
church, and clothing and bread for the
poor. The recipients are selected by the
Church of England clergy of Great and
Little Bolton, and number about ninety
men and 205 women; they receive bread
to the value of £15, and clothing worth
||Mrs. Elizabeth Lum built six cottages
in Anchor Street, Little Bolton, and endowed them with a small estate; they
were opened in 1839, and were transferred
to the present site at Astley Bridge in
1886. The trustees are the ministers and
certain members of three Nonconformist
chapels in Bolton, and the beneficiaries
are to be sixty years of age, preference
being given to those who are 'decidedly
pious and regularly (if able) attend places
of worship where the gospel is preached.'
The gross income is £48, and there are
twelve occupants, two in each house,
receiving 1s. a week, and coal, gas, and
||Some of the greater benefactions have
been mentioned already. Hannah Crompton in 1784 left money for linen for the
poor of Great Bolton; the annual dividends
now amount to £4 8s. 4d. Thomas
Cocker in 1774 made a similar gift; the
income is now £4 16s. a year. Richard
Aspindell in 1800 left £100 for a like
purpose; the trustees of the Wesleyan
chapel in Ridgway Gate receive a rentcharge of £5 15s. 2d. representing this
charity, and it is spent in doles of drabbet.
The benefactions of Adam Mort, 1630,
and Thomas Mort, 1732, of Astley, now
produce about £7 5s. a year for the poor
of Bolton township; it is distributed in
Sums of £5 and £2 were annually received in 1828 in respect of gifts by Ann
Parker and an unknown donor; but both
ceased on the death of John Albinson,
who then paid them.
||Mary Stones in 1764 left money for
an annual sermon, a dole of linen cloth,
and a gift of 6d. each to poor widows and
others. Down to 1898 at least £3 was
paid to the vicar of Bolton from the Harwood Lodge estate, and added to the poor
fund for food and clothing. James Greenhalgh in 1780 left money for linen cloth
for the poor; the income, now £2 4s.4d.,
is distributed in doles of cloth by the incumbents of St. Augustine's, Tonge, and
St. George's, Little Bolton. Some smaller
gifts for the poor and for doles of linen
cloth had been lost before 1828.
||Thomas Seddon in 1894 left money
for coal to be distributed by the vicar
and churchwardens of St. James's among
twelve poor families; the interest amounts
to £4 8s. 4d.
A linen charity, founded by Mrs. Ann
Parker, was discontinued about 1808.
||Lawrence Brownlow in 1630 gave a
granary to trustees, together with £40,
to buy corn, which they were to store up
and sell to the poor at a cheap rate in
times of scarcity. This does not seem to
have been practicable, and in 1828 a distribution of linen cloth had long been
customary, one-eighth being appropriated
to Darcy Lever. The premises belonging
to the trust were the inn then called the
Starkey's Arms, and formerly known as
the Almshouse. The income, which in
1828 was £32, has now reached £134,
and is distributed to about 280 persons in
doles of blankets, drabbet, and flannel.
Little Lever has a share of James Gosnell's Charity, now £3 18s. a year.
||The Shaw Charities are shared by
four townships—Rivington, Anglezarke,
Heath Charnock, and Anderton; the
available income is about £185. Rachael
Charnley's gift of 6s. 8d. a year, formerly
distributed with Shaw's Charity, has been
lost since 1867, recent owners repudiating
Miss Alice Lowe of Blackpool left a
fund for the poor, now producing nearly
£16 a year; this is distributed in money,
coals, and clothing by the trustees.
||The Popplewell Charities for the
poor are now represented by £1,100 for a
bread charity, and £400 for a blanket
charity; the recipients must be regular
attendants at church.
A number of benefactions, chiefly of
the 17th and 18th centuries, made up a
sum of £190 by 1803, which, with £20
given for cloth by Robert Aston in 1728,
and £110 for bread and cloth by John
Ainscough in 1812, was in 1815 invested
in Government Stock, producing about
£15 a year for the poor. An estate called
the Bent was also charged with 4s. a year
by Edward Pilkington in 1644. Part of
the money was in 1828 distributed in sixpenny loaves, but most of it in doles of
flannel or linen given on St. Stephen's
Day. A new scheme was made in 1857,
and of the income 20s. 6d. is distributed
in sixpenny loaves on St. Stephen's Day,
and the same amount on St. John's Day,
while over £7 is on the former festival
given in doles of calico.
A benefaction of £100 by Edward
Holt in 1741, and two smaller ones, were
said to be lost in 1828, but at present £5
a year has long been paid to the vicar of
Blackrod by the agent of the Leigh estate,
Hindley, and is customarily distributed in
bread on fifty Sundays in the year. It is
supposed this may be the Holt Charity;
the earliest recorded payment was in
||Abigail Chetham in 1690 left money
for the clothing of four poor boys; it was
invested in the purchase of Haslam Hey
in Elton, and the rent, amounting in
1828 to £28, was then used in the clothing
and education of six boys; the rent has
now fallen to £8, and four boys are
clothed. Canon Raines (Notitia, ii, 25)
says that Gervase Chetham, the nephew
of Abigail, was the real donor.
Humphrey Chetham in 1748 gave certain lands in Turton called Goose Coat
Hill, &c, for the benefit of poor persons
not relieved from the rates. The income
was in 1828 distributed in doles of linen.
The estate was sold in 1864 for £1,700,
and the capital given to the official trustees;
the income, now £49 12s. 8d., is distributed in doles of calico, flannel, blankets,
John Popplewell in 1820 gave money
for a bread charity; shilling loaves were
to be distributed to the poor who regularly
attended church. The income is now
£10 16s. 8d., and is spent on bread, but
attendance at church is not regarded.
Nathaniel Wilson in 1877 left £200
for keeping the family grave at Walmsley
Church in good order, and then for the
poor of the chapelry. The vicar receives
the interest and distributes it in money
doles at his discretion.
||James Brandwood of Charnock
Richard in 1762 left £100 for the poor
stock of Entwisle; in 1828 the interest,
£4 10s., after being improperly used to
relieve the poor rate, was to be applied to
the purchase of linen for the poor. The
income is now only £2 13s. 4d. a year,
and is expended each alternate year in
doles of flannel and calico.
An unknown donor or donors left £9 to
the poor, which in 1828 was used like the
last charity. The capital remained intact
until 1888, when the trustee absconded.
||The Rev. Richard Goodwin in 1684
left £5 a year to the poor, afterwards
altered to a sum of £50 for Bolton and
£50 for Harwood; and the Rev. Samuel
Brooks in 1698 left £100. No trace of
the charities could be discovered later than
1732. From the foundation of Joshua
Lomax £1 is given to the poor of Harwood.