Townships
Longworth

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Pages

285-286

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Longworth', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5 (1911), pp. 285-286. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53049 Date accessed: 21 April 2014. Add to my bookshelf


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LONGWORTH

Longeworthe, 1254; Lunggewrthe, 1278; Longeworth, 1290.

Longworth occupies the south-western slope of Turton Moor and the tongue of lower land to the south-east, between the Longworth and Delph Brooks. In the latter part of the township the hall is situated, but there is no village nor any considerable hamlet within the boundary. The area is 1,654 acres. The population was in 1901 numbered with that of Western Turton.

A road from Egerton in Turton passes along near the south-western border. The ancient road from Blackburn to Bolton through Tockholes crossed the township.

The land is chiefly pasture. There is a quarry on the hill, but a cotton mill near the southern corner has lately been demolished by the Bolton Corporation in connexion with their water supply.

For local government the township was in 1898 joined to Turton, ceasing to have a separate existence. (fn. 1)

No house in the township had more than two hearths in 1666, except Thomas Lacy's, which had seven. The total was 21. (fn. 1a)

Manor

LONGWORTH was held of the lords of Manchester as 2 oxgangs (fn. 2) of land by a family or families which assumed the local surname, and continued there down to the middle of the 17th century. Apart from grants made by Matthew son of Siward de Longworth to the abbey of Cockersand about the beginning of the 13th century (fn. 3) there is little to be recorded of the family, (fn. 4) though pedigrees were entered at the heralds' visitations in 1567 (fn. 5) and 1613. (fn. 6) Christopher Longworth died in 1608, holding various messuages and lands in Longworth, including a water-mill, of Rowland Mosley as of his manor of Withington by knight's service and 9½d. rent. He also held lands in Bolton. Thomas his son and heir was twenty-three years of age. (fn. 7) Thomas Longworth and Dorothy his wife made a settlement of the manor of Longworth and lands there and in Bolton in 1632. (fn. 8) Soon afterwards, however, the manor appears to have been sold— probably to Lacy, who recorded a pedigree in 1664 (fn. 9) —and in 1738 it is named in a settlement of the estates of William Hulton of Over Hulton. (fn. 10) It afterwards descended regularly in this family, (fn. 11) but in 1907 was purchased by the Corporation of Bolton in connexion with the town's water supply. The Delph reservoir is now being formed in Longworth.


Longworth of Long-worth. Argent three dragons' heads couped sable.

The Radcliffes of Radcliffe in 1309 drew a rent from Longworth. (fn. 12) The freeholders in 1600 were Christopher Longworth and James Worthington. (fn. 13)

Footnotes

1 By the Bolton, Turton, &c, Extension Act, 1898.
1 a Subs. R. Lancs, bdle. 250, no. 9.
2 It was in 1322 in the upper bailiwick of the barony, and contributed to the maintenance of the foresters of Horwich; Mamecestre (Chet. Soc), ii, 374, 377.
3 The land was in Award Hill ridding, the bounds beginning at an oak marked with a cross which grew by the street in the Rakes, going down to the great water, then up as far as the clough, and up the clough to the hill, and so back to the oak. Quitclaims from Richard son of Roger de Orsdeshaw (to William de Ashworth), and from William son of Adam de Ashworth accompanied the charter. For the latter quitclaim the canons paid 2 marks; W. Farrer, Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc), ii, 704. Hereward, Abbot of Cockersand, afterwards granted this to Roger son of Ughtred and his heirs at a rent of 12d. a year, and ½ mark as relief; ibid, ii, 706.
The same benefactor also gave an acre formerly occupied by Geoffrey de Manchester, with various easements including leave to cut hay outside Acargarth; ibid, ii, 705.
The Cockersand rentals of 1451, 1461, 1501, and 1537 show that Thomas Longworth was tenant of two parcels (each 12d. rent) in those years; ibid, iv, 1238, 1241. In 1501 the heir of Sir James Harrington held a tenement called Kirkland at 6d. rent; ibid. Isabel Dame Harrington was in 1519 found to have held a messuage and land in Longworth of the Abbot of Cockersand in socage; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 2. Some or all of the abbey lands were by Queen Mary granted to Manchester Collegiate Church or the SavoyHospital; Pat. 3 & 4 Phil, and Mary, pt. xi; 4 & 5 Phil, and Mary, pt. xv.
4 Hugh de Longworth granted land in the township to William de Worthington; Kuerden MSS. iii, W, 27.
In 1276 John son of Hugh de Longworth, Ellen his wife, &c, were accused of depriving Robert de Wytefield and Lettice his wife of 3 acres of moor, and the plaintiffs' claim was admitted; Assize R. 405, m. 4 d.
John de Longworth in 1288 successfully asserted his right to 100 acres of moor in Longworth which had been occupied by Alexander de Cuerdale, Richard de Orymeshaw and others, who asserted that the land was in Darwen; Assize R. 1277, m. 32a d.
Thomas de Longworth died 8 August 1444, holding six messuages, 24 acres of land, 40 acres of meadow, &c, in Longworth, of Sir Nicholas Longford as of his manor of Withington by knight's service and a rent of 9½d.; he also held lands in Thornton and Bolton-le-Moors. The heir was his grandson Thomas (son of Nicholas) Longworth, who was of full age when the inquisition was taken in 1448; Lancs. Rec. Inq. p.m. no. 36, 37a.
Lettice widow of Thomas Longworth in 1446 claimed dower in six messuages and various lands in Longworth, Bolton, and Thornton-in-Sefton against Thomas Longworth of Longworth ; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 9, m. 18b.
An arbitration was agreed on in 1462 respecting lands in Longworth within the vill of Withington between Robert and Peter Longhals on one side and on the other Richard Southworth, John Bradshaw and Elizabeth his wife, Thomas Longworth and others ; the lands had lately belonged to one Thomas Longworth; Kuerden fol. MS., P 316, no. 676.
There was a dispute in 1530 between Ralph Orrell of Turton and others and Thomas Longworth (or his heir) concerning the common pasture called Longworth Moor, and a great waste or pasture called Turton Moss; Pal. of Lanc. Sessional Papers, Lent, 21 Hen. VIII. A little later Anthony Green claimed a right of way in Longworth and Turton against Thomas Longworth; Duchy Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.), ii, 8.
5 Chet. Soc. p. 23. It begins with Thomas Longworth, and proceeds:—s. George —s. Thomas, —s. George, living 1567—sons Thomas, Alexander, Christopher, Richard and five daughters.
6 Chet. Soc. p. 40. It begins with the George living in 1567, whose will was proved in 1596: —s. Christopher, —s. Thomas, living 1613, whose wife was Dorothy Hudleston.
7 Lanc. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 115. The dependence of Longworth on Withington immediately has received evidence from a deed of 1462 quoted above.
8 Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 119, no. 35.
9 Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), 171; Thomas Lacy, the first of Longworth, had married a daughter of Adam Hulton of Hulton, who may then have been the owner.
10 Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 321, m. 3.
11 See the account of Over Hulton. William Hulton appears to have been sole proprietor in 1794 and 1799; Land tax returns at Preston.
12 Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 5. Henry de Trafford seems to have been their tenant; De Banco R. 179, m.206.
13 Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lanes, and Ches.), i, 247.