Townships
Anglezarke

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Pages

294-295

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Anglezarke', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5 (1911), pp. 294-295. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53051 Date accessed: 01 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

ANGLEZARKE

Andelevesarewe, 1202; Milafosharh 1212 (an error of transcription); Anlauesargh, 1225; Anlewesearche, Anlawesaregh, 1246; Alaseharghe, 1288; Anelesargh, Anelesaregh, Anlesarath, Anlesaragth, 1292; Anlaghesarghe, 1302; Anlasargh, 1351; Anlazarghe, 1559.

The greater part of this township is a high moorland area, a spur of the eastern hills 1,000 ft. high projecting into the centre, from which point the surface descends to the north, west, and south. The area is 2,793 acres, (fn. 1) and the measurement about 2½ miles from east to west, by something less than 2 miles across. The greater part of the western border is occupied by one of the reservoirs of the Liverpool Waterworks, formed in 1847–57; the Yarrow reservoir, to the east, was formed in 1868–77. The population in 1901 numbered 93.

Almost the only road is that along the western border from Rivington to Heapey. There is no village of Anglezarke, but a hamlet called White Coppice lies in the north-west corner, and another called Hempshaws in the south-east.

There are numerous quarries, worked and disused; the stone is largely used for road-making. Lead mines were formerly worked here. (fn. 2) There is a cotton-mill at White Coppice.

The moors abound with grouse.

Manor

In 1666 only twenty-five hearths were liable to the tax. Robert Shaw's house, with five, was the largest. (fn. 3)

The earliest record of ANGLEZARKE shows that it was a dependency of the fee or barony of Manchester, and that Albert Grelley the younger (fn. 4) gave 2 oxgangs of land—apparently the whole of it—to Robert son of Henry de Lathom to hold by annual rent of 3s. (fn. 5) The Lathom family and their successors, the Stanleys, Earls of Derby, down to about 1600 continued to hold it (fn. 6) by the same tenure, and it was described as a manor.

The priory of Burscough held land in the township by grant of Robert son of Richard de Lathom. (fn. 7) The Hospitallers also had lands there. (fn. 8)

The Standishes of Duxbury held lands of the Earls of Derby, (fn. 9) and in the 17th century and later their estate is called the manor of Anglezarke, they having purchased the Stanley rights. (fn. 10)

With other parts of the Standish of Duxbury estates it was in 1898 purchased by Mr. Percival Sumner Mayhew, but has recently been acquired by the Corporation of Liverpool in order to protect the Rivington water supply. (fn. 11)

Other families that occur are the Anglezarkes, (fn. 12) Bulloughs, (fn. 13) Shaws, (fn. 14) Broadhursts, (fn. 15) and Willises. (fn. 16)

George Shaw of High Bullough was a benefactor of the poor of the district. (fn. 17)

Footnotes

1 The Census Rep. of 1901 gives 2,792, including 167 of inland water.
2 A description of the lead mines in 1789 is in Trans. Lit. and Phil. Soc. Manch. iii, 598.
For a dispute as to the lead mine in 1694–5 see Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 356, 380.
3 Subs. R. Lancs, bdle. 250, no. 9.
4 Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 58; the date of the grant is between 1162 and 1180. In the Manchester Extent of 1322 the tenants of Anglezarke were among others in the upper bailiwick charged with providing food and lodging for the master Serjeant; Mamecestre (Chet. Soc), ii, 374.
5 Inq. and Extents, loc. sup. cit. In 1202 an oxgang of land in Anglezarke was assigned as dower to Amabel, daughter of Simon, by Richard de Lathom; and in 1224 the 2 oxgangs in Anglezarke were included in a grant of Richard de Lathom to Simon de Grubbehead ; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 11, 45.
6 In 1246 Robert de Lathom was among the defendants in a claim for land which the plaintiffs alleged to be in Rivington; the jury decided it was in Anglezarke; Assize R. 404, m. 9. In 1302 Adam son of William de Sidale claimed a messuage and lands in Sidale in Anglezarke against Robert de Lathom and others, mostly Lathom people; but Robert adduced a quitclaim by the plaintiff; Assize R. 418, m. 9 d.
Robert de Lathom in 1320 held Anglezarke of the lord of Manchester by 3s. rent and puture; Mamecestre, ii, 290.
In 1334 Sir Thomas de Lathom, Thomas de Thornton, Robert del Bulhalgh, and William de Anderton were convicted of having disseised Richard son of Adam de Rivington of common of pasture in Anglezarke; Coram Rege R. 297, m. 94. For grant of free warren see Cal. Pat. 1338–40, p. 396. Thomas de Lathom had in or before 1343 leased 'Bronuleshol' and other lands in Anglezarke to Hugh de Swinley and Roger his son at a rent of 30s.; John de Swinley was the previous tenant; Add. MS. 32106, no. 1179. Messuages and lands in Anglezarke were included in a settlement of the estate of the younger Sir Thomas de Lathom in 1376; Final Conc. ii, 190.
In 1473 Thomas Lord Stanley held the lordship of Anglezarke with its appurtenances of the lord of Manchester by rendering puture, suit of court, and a rent of 3s.; Mamecestre, iii, 478. Thomas, Earl of Derby, in 1521 also held the manors of Childwall, Rainford, and Anglezarke of the Lord La Warre by fealty and the rent of 3s.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 68. A similar statement is made in the inquisition after the death of Ferdinando, Earl of Derby, in 1595; Add. MS. 32104, fol. 425b Anglezarke does not appear again among the Derby manors, so that it was probably sold about that time.
An account of the receipts during the minority of Edward, third earl, in 1523–4, shows that the free tenants—James Bulhalgh, Lawrence Ash, and Thomas Broadhurst—paid 15s. 1d.; the tenants at will, including John Lascelles for the capital messuage called Sidale, paid £8 2s. 8d.; the mine of lead and the delph of millstones had not produced any profit, but a new rent of 20d. had arisen from a watermill on the Blake Brook, erected by the tenant at his own expense, and that timber had been supplied from the lord's wood. No courts had been held. The 3s. rent had been paid to Lord La Warre. Broadcarr, Lee, Lowfield, Elmshaws, and Getelinghurst were field names; Derby Rent Roll in possession of the Earl of Lathom.
7 Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxvi, App. 204; also Burscough Reg. fol. 50. The grant was made between 1232 and 1240. The land was called Swinleyhurst, on the northern border. Prior Benedict and the canons afterwards granted Swinleyhurst to Randle de Heapy and his heirs at a rent of 3s.; Randle had held under the Lathoms. The bounds went along the Shaw of Ledewarden, the cliff, the deepest part of the carr, Swinley Syke to the west part in Whithenley Brook, Ledewarden Brook as it divides Anglezarke and Wheelton, and so to the starting point. The easements included mast in the wood of Anglezarke, fuel, and timber for building; ibid. fol. 27.
In 1278 Peter de Heapy was nonsuited in his claim for common of pasture in Anglezarke against Robert de Lathom; Assize R. 1268, m. 12 d.
8 Plac.de Quo Warr. (Rec. Com.), 375. Sir Thomas de Lathom, who died in 1370, held tenements in Anglezarke of the Hospital of Jerusalem, paying 12d. a year; they were worth £6; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ii, no. 7, and another version in Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), i, 17.
The land in Anglezarke was perhaps held about 1540 by Lord Mounteagle, who held the Hospitallers' land in Blackrod. Roger Asshaw, who died in the year named, held two messuages, &c., in Anglezarke of Sir Thomas Stanley, Lord Mounteagle, by a rent of 10d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. viii, no. 11.
9 Inq. p.m. Thomas Standish, who died in 1599; the lands were held in socage by fealty only; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 54. This estate was probably that of Burscough Priory, derived from the Heapy family. Some disputes between the Standishes and Tootells are referred to in Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 248; iii, 150,385.
10 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 397, 400; Alexander Standish held the reversion of the manor after the death of Alice, Countess of Derby. She was widow of Ferdinando, the fifth earl, and died in 1636. The manor of Anglezarke is regularly named in the Standish of Duxbury settlements; e.g. Pal. of Lane. Feet of F. bdle. 104, no. 10; 155, m. 165, &c. In 1706 the manor was the subject of an agreement between Sir Thomas Standish and Sir Thomas Stanley and his wife Margaret, mother of the former Sir Thomas; ibid. bdle. 257, m. 61; in addition to the manor there were twelve messuages, two water grain mills, and lands including 1,400 acres of furze and heath, &c.
11 Information of Mr. Mayhew.
12 John de Anglezarke and Roger son of John de Anglezarke were engaged in various suits respecting their tenements in 1292; Assize R. 408, m. 57, 10 d.
A pedigree in Kuerden MSS. I. fol. 74b connects the Bulhalgh family with the Anglezarkes.
13 Robert son of Roger de Bulhalgh was a plaintiff in 1351–2 against Sir Thomas de Lathom and Roger de Chisenhale (Chisnall) respecting lands in Anglezarke; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. 2.
Richard Bulhalgh and Thomas Shaw were in 1538 tenants of the Countess of Derby; Duchy Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 94–5.
The name is spelt Bolehalgh in 1334.
14 John Shaw of Anglezarke was a recusant in 1619; Manch. Quar. Sess. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 82. Robert Shaw, 'gent.,' headed the protestors in Anglezarke in 1641–2 ; W. F. Irvine, Rivington, 46, where the full list is printed. There was also George Shaw, 'yeoman,' the benefactor. John and George Shaw were sons of Lawrence Shaw of High Bulhalgh, as appears by their monuments in Rivington Church; ibid. 84, 85. A pedigree was recorded in 1664; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), p. 262.
15 Henry de Broadhurst had land in the township in 1447; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 7, m. 6b. The Earl of Derby in 1559 purchased three messuages, &c., from Oliver Broadhurst: Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 21, m. 18.
16 Thomas Willis in 1694 appears to have acquired lands in Anglezarke, &c., formerly belonging to Thomas Ainscough, clerk ; Exch. Dep. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 84. Land in the same place was included in a settlement by Daniel Willis and Anne his wife in 1732; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 310, m. 85.
17 End. Char. Rep. for Bolton, 1904, pp. 25, 42–49.