||Gregson. Fragments (ed. Harland), 17,
22. The details are: Leyland and Euxton,
each £5 11s. 1¼d.; Cuerden, £1 2s. 2¾d.;
Clayton and Whittle, each £2 4s. 5¼d.;
Hoghton with Withnell, £3 3s. 6¼d.;
Wheelton with Heapey, £2 7s. 7½d., or
a total of £22 4s. 7d., when the hundred
||The details are:
||To the subsidy of 1525 the following
contributed in respect of their lands in the
parish: Thomas, William, Isabel, and
Roger Farington. The others were: John
Clayton, Richard Jackson (Kuerden),
James Burscough, John Cowper, Robert
Swanley (Swansey), and John Woodcock;
Subsidy R. 130, no. 86.
||The following compounded for the
sequestrated two-thirds of their estates in
1628 and later years: In Leyland, Roger
Charnock to pay £6 a year; Euxton, Isabel
Anderton £8, John Charnock £2, Robert
Hodgson £2 10s., Thomas Moore £2,
William Roscow £2, Robert Worthington
£2; Cuerden, Ann Banister £2; Claytonle-Woods, James Anderton £40, Ralph
Critchlow £2 13s. 4d., Robert Catterall
£3; Hoghton, John Clayton £2, Edward
Stubbs £3 6s. 8d., Christopher Taylor
£2 10s.; Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.),
||Avice daughter of Henry de Kuerden
(about 1230) gave a rent-charge of 1d. on
her lands for incense at the altar of St.
Andrew of Leyland, on the saint's feast
day; B.M. Harl. MS. 2112, fol. 115. One
Adam Clayton also left a charge on lands
in Cuerden for the maintenance of a light
before St. Andrew in the parish church of
Leyland; Raines, Chantries (Chet. Soc.),
In 1349 William del Whithalgh charged
his lands in Cuerden with 12d. a year for
the maintenance of a light of the Blessed
Virgin Mary, of the church of Leyland;
Add. MS. 32109, fol. 40.
||It is said to have been designed by a
Mr. Longworth, who, however, was 'more
celebrated as a combatant at Waterloo
than as a skilled and competent architect'; Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. v,
Hist. Soc. Lancs. and Ches. vii, 18*,
paper by Miss Farington, Jan. 25, 1855,
who exhibited a 'copy of an elevation
taken by some inferior architect just before the old church was pulled down.'
The drawing, however, is not reproduced.
||Ibid. Many of these stones are now
deposited within an iron railing at the
angle formed by the chancel and nave on
the south side.
||The windows at first sight appear to
be later insertions, and the upper parts of
the walls may have been rebuilt; but
plain windows of this description are frequently found in 14th-century work, and
the moulded jambs suggest that these are
the original ones.
||The aumbry has rebated jambs, but
the door has gone. In 1855, however,
it had a 'small pointed arched door, of
rude oak, as black as ink, till lately painted
over'; Hist. Soc. Lancs. and Ches. vii, 18*.
||'In 1591 William Farington obtained a confirmation of his previous
family claims from Bishop Chaderton, who
confirms to him and his heirs for ever a
right "to sit, stand, and otherwise repose
themselves therein" while living, and after
death to occupy "two several vawtes or
toumbes, in the upper of the same lying
eastward, to bury the dead bodies of the
men, and in the lower standing westward,
to bury the dead bodys of the women."
There was a division between the two sexes
in the family pew itself till 1816'; Hist.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches. vii, 18.*
||The bird is sometimes said to be a
woodcock, and to denote the building of
the tower by Seth Woodcock, rector,
1494–1516. Its long bill, however, gives
it rather the appearance of a snipe. The
carving, however, is crude and difficult to
distinguish clearly from below.
||For arms formerly in the windows of
Leyland Church see Kuerden MSS. vi, fol.
||The inscriptions on the bells are as
follows: Treble: 'May Jesus Christ be
praised. The gift of Margaret Kellett,
1897. John Taylor, founder, Loughboro.'
2. 'Let God be feared. 1722. Chr:
Sudell: Vicar.' 3. 'The Church prosper,
A.R. 1722. Thos. Blacklach, Wm. Oakenshaw, Robert Sibbarin, John Morris, Ch.
Wardens, 1835.' 4. 'John Stephenson,
Canal Foundry, Preston. S.M: H.B:
J.M. Ch. Wardens 1835.' 5. 'Quatuor
nos ante fuimus, 1722. Recast 1885.'
6. 'Mr Gardnor Baldwin, Vicar. Lancelot Lawrenson, Ch. Warden. John Stephenson, Canal Foundry, Preston, 1835.'
7. 'Mag's Quotidie dilectabimus.' Tenor:
'Morning, evening, noon and night, praise
God. The gift of John Stanning, 1897.
John Taylor, founder, Loughboro'; Memories of Sunny Leyland, by Rev. E. G. Marshall, 1907.
||There was formerly another flagon,
but it is now at St. Ambrose's.
Record Soc. of Lancs. and Ches. xxi,
1890. Edited by the Rev. Walter Stuart
White, M.A. It appears (p. 23) that the
'old register book' (1538–97) was in
existence in 1653.
||The inscriptions are given in Lancs.
and Ches. Antiq. Notes, ii, 6–8.
Penwortham Priory (Chet. Soc.), 1,4.
In a charter of Albert Bussel's the gift of
his father Warine is thus described: 'In
the church of Leyland 3s. and two thirds
of the tithe of the demesne'; and that of
his brother Richard as 'the whole church
of Leyland with all its appurtenances';
ibid. 5, 6, 40.
||The 2 oxgangs were given to Evesham by Lettice wife of Albert from her
demesne in Leyland, and confirmed by
him; ibid. 6. It will be seen that half
of the land was afterwards assigned to the
vicarage. Ambrye Meadows, by the
River Lostock, belong to the vicars of
Leyland. Other land in Leyland was acquired by the abbey in 1336; ibid. 31–5.
||Ibid. 1. About 1330 the rector paid
the abbey a pension of 30s. 4d.; ibid. 44.
||Ibid. 41; Cal. Pat. 1327–30, p. 535.
Penwortham Priory, 42–5. The abbot
and convent had complained that 28
manors and 3 churches had been violently
taken from them by various kings of
England and magnates of the realm without any fault of the monks, while their
charges for almsgiving, hospitality and
other good works were very heavy, and
fresh burdens were now imposed upon
them, the wickedness of the world increasing daily. Hence they desired the
church of Leyland, already in their patronage, to be appropriated to the abbey. The
pope's bull was dated at Avignon, 9 Jan.
1330–1. See also Cal. Papal Letters, ii,
Penwortham Priory, 47–9; Lich. Epis.
Reg. iii, fol. 28b. In 1350 the abbot had
licence to farm the rectory for three years;
ibid. ii, fol. 12b. The 40s. paid by the
vicar to the abbot was probably passed on
to the Bishop of Lichfield in accordance
with a grant (Penwortham Priory, 45).
||Pat. 34 Hen. VIII, pt. viii.
In 1541 a claim to the (advowson of
the) vicarage was made by Adam Beconsaw; Pal. of Lanc. Sessional Papers, 33
Hen. VIII, bdle. 5, no. 101.
||Farrer, North Merls, 60.
Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 249.
Inq. Nonarum (Rec. Com.), 39. The
townships contributed thus: Leyland, 50s.;
Euxton, 50s.; Cuerden, Clayton, Whittlele-Woods, Withnell-with-Roddlesworth,
Wheelton-with-Heapey and Hoghton,
each 16s. 8d.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 233. The
rents of the glebe lands amounted to
21s. 6d., the tithe of corn, &c., to
£47 0s. 6d.
||Ibid. v, 232. The rent of the manse
was 6s. 8d., the tithes of hay, wool, &c.,
with oblations, £13 6s. 8d. Out of this
£2 was paid to the Prior of Penwortham
and 13s. 4d. to the Archdeacon of Chester.
Commonwealth Church Survey (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 101–4.
||See the account of the Charnock
Notitia Cestr. ii, 379. Small tithes,
Easter dues and fees, about £60; Leyland Hall about £40. At that time each
of the 'quarters' of the parish had a
churchwarden; for Leyland the vicar chose
one out of three nominated by that quarter, while the other quarters chose their
Manch. Dioc. Dir.
||Gilbert Whitestanes was dean in
1449; Towneley MS. RR, no. 1020. In
1535 William Knight, Archdeacon of
Chester, held this deanery. The revenues
amounted to £6 15s. 4d.; Valor Eccl.
(Rec. Com.), v, 231.
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 421.
Whalley Coucher (Chet. Soc.), iii, 853.
As he is called 'chaplain' only, he was,
perhaps, not the rector.
||Harl. MS. 2112, fol. 115, 118,
charters of the early part of the reign of
Henry III. Thomas Bussel, personarius of
Leyland, was one of the witnesses to an early
Cuerden charter; Add. MS. 32109, fol. 9.
There were two rectors at that time, for
Thomas Bussel, son of Thomas rector of
a mediety of the church of Leyland, granted
to John son of Adam de Heskin a ridding
in Leyland called Antishaw, at the rent
of 12d.; Kuerden fol. MS. B, fol. 59.
Benedict son of the rector of Leyland
also occurs; Add. MS. 32109, fol. 12.
He gave an oxgang of land in Cuerden, in
free marriage with Alice his daughter, to
Grolamby de Clayton, whose son Robert
was plaintiff in 1292; Assize R. 408, m.
||Ibid. 404, m. 9 d.; also in Kuerden MSS. (Coll. of Arms), ii, fol. 219;
Kuerden fol. MS. (Chet. Lib.), fol. 247.
He is probably the William de Meols who
occurs as rector of a mediety in 1261;
Farington charter in Arch. Journ. 1875,
||Lich. Epis. Reg. i, fol. 9b.
||Ibid. fol. 30; he was a priest, and
the rectory was 'commended' to him for
lawful causes and the utility of the church,
he being presented according to the tenor
of the constitution of Gregory X, Possidenda. The reason of vacancy is not stated.
John de Bohun was already rector of Redmarshall in Durham, and in 1311 obtained
a dispensation from Clement V to retain
both; Cal. Papal Letters, ii, 84. He
occurs as rector in a pleading of 1319;
De Banco R. 231, m. 163 d.
In 1317 Robert de Asshehou was by the
king nominated to the rectory of Leyland,
no doubt in error; Cal. Pat. 1313–17,
||Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 99; a subdeacon. In the following August he obtained leave to be absent from his rectory
for two years while acting as advocate in
the Court of Arches; ibid. ii, 7. In 1325
he obtained licence of three years' absence
for study; ibid. ii, 5. He was a king's
clerk, and his name occurs a number of
times in the Cal. Papal Letters, ii, iii;
he held canonries at Lincoln, London,
Lichfield, Hereford, Exeter and Salisbury,
at different times, and was Archdeacon of
Middlesex 1332–3, Treasurer of St. Paul's
1333; Le Neve, Fasti; Cal. Pat. 1324–7,
p. 88. He died in 1348 or 1349.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 107b. He is
described as 'of Baddesley,' and a chaplain. He exchanged Leyland for North
Meols. For an alienation of land in his
time see Coram Rege R. Trin. 45 Edw. III,
pt. ii, m. 24 d.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. fol. 113b; a priest.
He had been rector of North Meols since
1314. 'Robert de Preston, called the
Woodward, rector of the church of North
Meols,' occurs in a deed of 1325; Harl. MS.
2042, fol. 101b. As Robert le Woodward,
vicar of Leyland, he occurs in pleadings
from 1345 onwards; De Banco R. 344,
m. 470 d., &c.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. ii, fol. 128; a chaplain.
||Ibid. fol. 134; a chaplain. He is
often called Adam de Meols simply, but
must be distinguished from his namesake,
the contemporary rector of North Meols.
He was still vicar at the beginning of
1368; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 169b.
Early in 1358 John de Rainford, rector
of St. Clement's, Hastings, claimed from
Adam Wylot of North Meols, vicar of
Leyland, an account for the time during
which Adam was his bailiff at Hastings;
Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 6, m. 4 d.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. iv, fol. 85. He
occurs as 'chaplain of the church of Leyland' in 1366; Add. MS. 32109, fol. 37.
In his time Thomas, son of the vicar,
occurs as plaintiff in a Leyland case; he
may have been son of an earlier vicar;
De Banco R. 440, m. 377.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. vi, fol. 59; chaplain.
He was still vicar in 1399–1400 (Harl.
MS. 2112, fol. 121), and in Aug. 1401;
Add. MS. 32109, fol. 62.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. vii, fol. 88b; chaplain. He may be the John Weston, rector
of Iweley (Uley), B. Can. & Civ. Law,
to whom Boniface IX in 1402 granted a
dispensation to hold another benefice; Cal.
Papal Letters, iv, 350; v, 504.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. vii, fol. 101b; chaplain. He was still vicar in 1419; Towneley
MS. DD, no. 92.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. ix, fol. 122; priest.
||Ibid. xi, fol. 43; chaplain. He agreed
to pay a pension of 10 marks yearly to the
retiring vicar, Ralph Farington; ibid. xi,
||Ibid. xii, fol. 99b.
||Ibid. fol. 101; priest.
||Ibid. fol. 121b; priest.
||Ibid. xiii, fol. 158; priest.
||Ibid. xiii-xiv, fol. 59b; he was also
rector of Sefton, &c. He held Leyland till
his death, 1535; Valor Eccl. v, 232.
||Lich. Epis. Reg. xiii-xiv, fol. 37. He
refused to appear at the visitation of 1559
(Gee, Elizabethan Clergy), but his name
occurs in the visitation lists down to 1562,
in which year probably he died. The
'ornaments' existing in 1552, including a
Bible, are recorded in Church Goods (Chet.
||Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxii, 46,
from Chest. Dioc. Reg. Thomas Gwent
was the survivor of the trustees to whom
in 1538 the Abbot of Evesham had granted
the next presentation; ibid. 26. Thomas
Buckley or Bulkeley paid first-fruits 2 Mar.
1562–3, and later in the year is named as
vicar, 'lately instituted,' in the bishop's
visitation list; Lancs. and Cbes. Recs. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 409.
||He paid first-fruits 31 Aug. 1570.
He was also rector of Brindle (q.v.). The
records in the Bishop of Chester's registry
have been used for this and later institutions.
||First-fruits paid 12 Nov. 1595. The
institutions from this time have been compared with those recorded in the Institution books, P.R.O., as printed in Lancs.
and Ches. Antiq. Soc. i, ii. In 1596 John
Charnock was in charge of Leyland, being
described as 'a sufficient, religious and
able minister of the Word of God'; Pal.
of Lanc. Plea R. 279, m. 13 d. Mr. White
therefore was not resident.
In 1598 it was presented that the vicar
did not wear the surplice, and did not
make the sign of the cross in baptism;
Visit. P. at Chest. Dioc. Reg. The same
report was made in 1601 (ibid.), and this
puritanism may have led to his resignation.
||First-fruits paid 8 Feb. 1604–5. He
was described as 'a preacher' about 1610;
Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 10.
||First-fruits paid 5 Oct. 1612. He
was a Puritan, and in 1619 was presented
to the Bishop of Chester for not wearing
the surplice, omitting the sign of the cross
at baptism, and leaving out parts of the
services; Visit. P. at Chest. Dioc. Reg.
Though he then promised to conform, he
readily accepted the Presbyterian discipline
in the time of the Commonwealth, and
was a member of the classis. From the
papers in the Chester registry it appears
that Langley was presented and instituted
in July 1611, and again in the following
||At the time of the Commonwealth
Survey (June 1650) Vicar Langley was
'lately dead,' and the benefice was vacant;
Survey, 105. Nathaniel son of William
Rothwell, vicar, was baptized at Leyland
20 June 1651. The vicar was registrar
from his appointment until 1656, when
he was 'displaced,' and it is said (on the
authority of Walker's Sufferings of the
Clergy) that he had to endure much persecution and hardship until the Restoration; Leyland Reg. 24, 25.
He was buried at Leyland 16 Sept. 1676.
||Of Caius Coll., Camb.; M.A. 1677,
per literas regias. He was the son of
Nicholas Rishton, and entered the college
in 1659, though he does not seem to have
graduated in the ordinary course; Venn,
||Educated at Jesus Coll., Camb.; M.A.
1679. He was 'conformable' in 1689;
Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 229.
He died the same year, being buried at
Leyland on 10 Sept.
||Son of John Armetriding of Euxton;
educated at St. John's Coll., Camb.; B.A.
1683; R. F. Scott, Admissions, ii, 77.
||He became rector of North Meols
(q.v.) in 1733, resigning Leyland.
||He became rector of North Meols
(q.v.) in 1735, and thus had to be presented to Leyland and instituted a second
||The patrons were Robert Harper,
George Jervis Tapps and Walter Chetwynd. Baldwin was educated at Jesus
Coll., Camb.; M.A. 1709. He was chaplain to the Earl of Cholmondeley, curate
of Westhoughton, and rector of one mediety of Liverpool. In 1748 he purchased
the advowsons of Leyland and North
Meols. He bequeathed the former advowson to his younger son, Thomas Baldwin,
rector of Steeple Bumpstead, Essex, in 1752.
See Farrer, North Meols, 84; Pal. Note Bk.
||Younger son of the preceding vicar,
as stated in the preceding note. Educated
at Peterhouse, Camb.; M.A. 1742. He
was a king's preacher.
||Son of the last vicar, also educated at
Peterhouse; LL.B. 1768; was vicar of
Whalley 1776–1809. There was another
Thomas Baldwin (M.A. Cantab. 1768),
who was curate of Haslingden 1779–83;
he wrote a narrative of a balloon excursion
from Chester in 1785; N. and Q. (Ser. 3),
||Brother of the last vicar, also educated at Peterhouse, of which he was a
fellow; M.A. 1771. At one time he was
curate of Great Crosby; also of Haslingden
and Newchurch in Rossendale. He
was a king's preacher.
||Nephew of the last vicar, being son
of William Baldwin, attorney. Educated
at Brasenose Coll., Oxf.; M.A. 1825.
||Son of the last vicar. Educated at
Sidney-Sussex Coll., Camb.; B.A. 1845.
||Brother of the last vicar. Educated
at Brasenose Coll., Oxf.; B.A. 1860;
vicar of Heapey 1874.
||The Clergy List of 1542 (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), p. 17, records four
priests, in addition to the vicar and chantry priest; but three were paid by Sir
Henry Farington. The visitation list of
1548 (Dioc. Reg. Chest.) gives seven
names, but mortuus is written against one
of them. The other six again appear in
1554, but one of them, late the chantry
priest, seems to have gone away to Winwick.
||The old vicar and curate and the
chaplain at Euxton.
||A curate at Heapey and another,
whose name does not occur in earlier or
later lists, were the additional clergy.
||The same curate, John Worden, appears in all the lists, 1548 to 1565.
||There is no sign of a curate or additional preacher in the list of contributors
to the subsidies of 1622–39; Misc. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 67–123. The
chapels at Heapey and Euxton were without curates in 1610; Hist. MSS. Com.
Rep. xiv, App. iv, 11. There was a
curate, however, from 1676 to 1682;
Leyland Reg. 61, 71. There was no clergyman but the vicar at the visitation of 1691.
End. Char. Rep. (Leyland), 1900, p.
||Raines, Chantries, 183; quoting the
will of Sir William Farington, 1501.
The altar stood in a chapel known as
St. Nicholas' chapel or Farington chapel;
||Richard Kuerden, in 1529, bequeathed 3s. 4d. for the rood priest to say
mass for his soul; Add. MS. 32109, fol.
Chantries, 185–6. The names of
those to be prayed for are given. The
nomination of the chaplain was to rest
with Sir Henry and his heirs or trustees,
but if they did not appoint the Abbot of
Evesham was to do so. A solemn obit
was to be kept between Easter and Pentecost, as many priests and clerks to be
assembled as possible, each receiving an
alms of 12d., while the parish clerk was
to have 4d. for ringing the bells.
||Ibid. 186–90. There was no plate.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 232.
||Raines, op. cit. 182–4.
||Gastrell, Notitia ii, 381; Loc. Glean.
Lancs. and Ches. ii, 108. The chantry
commissioners of 1548 recommended that
the school should be continued, and
ordered that £3 17s. 10d. should be paid
to the old chantry priest 'until further or
other order or direction' should be given.
The payment from the Duchy revenues
still continues; it amounts to £3 16s.
or £3 18s. a year; End. Char. Rep.
||The report, printed in 1900, includes
a copy of that of 1826. The details in
the text and notes are derived from it.
||Richard Balshaw died in 1811, but
had founded the charity school at Golden
Hill in Leyland in 1782. The residue of
the income, after the school charges had
been met, was to 'industrious, aged and
infirm' among the poor, who might be
'the greatest and real objects of charity.'
An additional gift was made by Ellen
Fisher in 1829. The income amounts to
nearly £400 a year, and is distributed
under a scheme of the Charity Commissioners made in 1896–7, by which the
governors of the school may distribute not
more than £20 a year among the poor of
the township of Leyland.
||The date is from Gastrell's Notitia
(ii, 383), where it is stated that the founder
endowed his six almshouses with £6 a
year and new gowns every third year. In
1828 there was an inscription 'Will.
Farington, Worden, 1607,' on the building. No deeds were then known to exist,
but William Farington, of Shaw Hall, kept
the buildings in repair, gave each of the
almswomen 16s. 8d. a year and a stuff gown
every third year. Each also had a cartload of turf for fuel, but paid 2s. 4d. for it.
A new building was erected in 1849, and
about 1861 the Misses Farington built
houses for five more almspeople, and a payment is made annually from the Worden
estate. The inmates are selected by the
trustees of the estate and the vicar of St.
James's, Leyland; they are all women,
and must be resident in Leyland and
members of the Church of England. Each
receives 3s. a week for maintenance.
||He left £500 to be invested in land
for the maintenance of the poor of the
township, the money to be paid after the
death of his wife. The first purchase
seems to have been made in 1691, and
almshouses for six occupants were afterwards built. The Rev. Thomas Armetriding, vicar, and his widow Margaret
afterwards augmented the endowment by
gifts of £100 and £60; and John Beatson
by his will of 1792 gave £200 for the
inmates, the income to be divided equally
each Good Friday among the six poor
women. Mary Farington in 1811 also
left £100 for the almshouses.
New houses were built in 1870, and in
1887 four additional houses were built
and endowed by Mrs. Agnes Ryley, who
gave £2,000 for the purpose. The whole
property is administered by the Osbaldeston trustees. The six almswomen of the
older foundation receive 4s. each a week,
and the four of the later each 3s. 6d.
There is also given for a bread charity
£3 18s., eighteen penny loaves being
given in the church weekly.
||See the preceding note. It is supposed to be the result of a gift of £52
made by Mrs. Margaret Armetriding for
the purpose in 1728; wheaten loaves, 1d.
each, were to be distributed to such poor
people of the township of Leyland as
should most frequently attend divine
service and sermon at the parish church,
by twelve each Sabbath.
||Alice Rowlinson by will (proved
1858) left her personal estate, &c., for
William Fairclough for life, and then for
poor widows residing in Leyland township. The income, £16 7s., is divided
among about seventy-five widows in doles
of 4s. each.
||A sum of 10s. annually was paid by
the Faringtons of Worden down to 1894;
it is now considered merged in the general
charge for the benefit of the almshouses.
Nothing is now known of the gifts of
£26 in 1728 by Christopher Preston, and
£10 in 1744 by Henry Oakenshaw; in
1828 it was supposed that the vicars of
Leyland had charge of the capital, and up
to 1824 bread to the value of 36s. a year
had been distributed; 10s. 6d. was given
yearly from 1825 to 1891; but this has
now been discontinued.
||Richard Hodson, a yeoman and linen
weaver, left £40, the interest (at the rate
of 5 per cent.) to be given in linen cloth
to the poor. The money was invested in
a cottage and land in Dunkirk Lane,
Leyland, which now produce £10 a year
rent. Of this income about £7 is laid
out in calico for the poor.
John Beatson (see Leyland above) gave
£100 to the minister and chapel-warden
of Euxton for bread to be distributed each
Sunday among such of the poor 'as should
regularly and invariably attend divine service.' The income is now £3 19s. 4d.,
and seven loaves are distributed each
Sunday after service.
Thurstan Pincock in 1716 left a charge
of 40s. yearly on his part of a close called
Highfield, 20s. being payable to the curate
of Euxton Chapel, 'so long as the said
chapel should continue under the episcopal
government,' and 20s. for the poor. The
charge continues in force, and the latter
moiety is distributed by the vicar of
Euxton in money or in tickets for coals
Richard Hoghton in 1686 gave charges
of £1 10s. and £1 a year for cloth for the
poor of Euxton and of Charnock Richard
in Standish. In 1826 the owner of certain
land stated that it had been customary for
him and his predecessors in title to distribute 45s. to 55s. a year among the poor
of the townships, but no such charge was
named in the title deeds, and he therefore
considered the payments to be voluntary.
The property was sold soon afterwards
and payments ceased.
Henry Oakenshaw in 1744 left money
for a bread charity, sixpenny loaves being
distributed on St. Thomas's Day. This
was in existence in 1826, but has since
||Reynold and Peter Burscough (will,
1623), two brothers, owning the great
tithes of Cuerden and Whittle-le-Woods,
left charges on them for the benefit of
the poor of the townships, £8 a year to
Whittle, and £5 6s. 8d. to Cuerden. The
tithes were in 1899 the property of Mr.
Townley-Parker of Cuerden, and the
charges are still paid. At Cuerden the
money is divided equally among the
recipients, who number eight or nine.
||John Clayton, by will in 1721, gave
the rents of two closes in Clayton—then
known as the Moorhey and the Intack—
to trustees for the poor, to be employed
as they should think fit. The income has
usually been spent in doles of money, but
other uses are allowed by the scheme.
||A share of the Frith charity, amounting to 13s. 4d. a year. See a subsequent
||John Simpson in 1750 gave £30,
the interest to be applied for the benefit
of poor housekeepers. The capital sum
is intact, and the interest (9s. to 13s.) is
||The charity of Reynold and Peter
Burscough has been mentioned in a preceding note. The £8 for Whittle is distributed in gifts of food, clothing, &c.,
among about twenty-five aged poor persons. To it is added 5s. 4d., interest of
a gift by Richard Pincock before 1762.
William Frith in 1667 left money for
building 'a bay of housing of stone for
two or three poor women to dwell in,
which should have two rooms, one over
the other, with fireplaces in them; and
that they should have that house, and
either of them a garden therein, with
six loads of turves every year . . . if they
would be at the charges of getting them.'
He also left 10s. for two or three waistcoats of cloth, and this sum is still paid.
See the account of Chorley charities.
||The income of the Crooke charity
(for Leyland parish) now amounts to
£48 17s., but £20 is applicable to education. Of the rest the benefactor intended
£15 to be applied annually for apprenticing, each of the three 'quarters' named
having that sum every third year. The
apprenticing ceased in 1805, the trustees
finding the administration of the fund to
be very difficult; and the whole sum is
given to a poor person in one of the
'quarters' named, according to rotation, but it is sometimes impossible to
find a suitable recipient. The trustees'
dinner and school children's treat, on
1 May, consumes about £7 of the surplus,
and £6 8s. is paid to the rector of Croston
for distribution in that parish.