||2,567 acres, including 2 of inland
water; Census Rep. 1901. There are
also 17 acres of tidal water and 167 of
||Subs. R. 250, no. 9.
||Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 406–10.
Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
407–10. For the date (between 1201
and 1210) see the note ibid. The canons
gave Ellis 100 marks and were bound to
do the service to the king and the lords of
the fee so far as pertained to three ploughlands, where ten plough-lands made a
The same grantor (ibid. 408) gave a
number of separate tenements to the
canons, the details providing the names
of several places in the township—The
Marsh, Crooklands, Lairclade, Calf
(brook), &c.; also half the fishery of
Stammine and three nets in the Ribble
within the bounds of Hutton. He and
his wife Sapientia also gave that moiety
of the mill of Bradford which had belonged
to Howick, together with the waters of
Wymoth and Bradford; ibid. ii, 437,
440. Cecily and Antigonia, daughters of
Ellis de Hutton, and others also released
their rights in this mill; ibid. ii, 438–9.
Margery, another daughter, gave the lands
received from her father in free marriage
with Richard son of Robert Sithsworth;
ibid. ii, 431.
John de Lacy, as lord of Penwortham,
confirmed the grant, adding quittance of
suit of court and puture of serjeants, but
leaving it subject to the service due to
the king, and other dues; for this the
canons gave him 80 marks; ibid. ii, 412.
Henry de Lacy, his successor, gave a
similar confirmation about 1275, in return for the payment of a like sum; ibid.
Other members of Ellis de Hutton's
family confirmed his grants or added to
them; e.g. of Robert the son of Ellis
and his son John; ibid. ii, 411, 414.
Iseult, daughter of Ellis, in her widowhood gave the portion she had had from
her father; she was twice married—to
Henry son of Gilbert and to Richard de
Culcheth; ibid. ii, 417, 420. Agnes, her
daughter by the second marriage, married
John de Haydock, and all the parties
agreed to resign Iscult's lands to Cockersand; ibid. ii, 418–19.
In 1246 Henry, then abbot, obtained
the Hutton lands of John de Haydock
and Agnes his wife by exchange for part
of Arbury in Winwick; ibid. ii, 443–5.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 149, 315. In an
extent made in 1324 the tenure is called
free alms; Dods. MSS. cxxxi, fol. 44.
A century later the tenure was disputed;
Duchy of Lanc. Knights' Fees, bdle. 2,
The Abbots of Cockersand appear to
have had few disputes with their tenants
or neighbours. In 1306 Richard son of
Robert de Hutton claimed land from
Thomas, then abbot; De Banco R. 160,
m. 40 d.
Cockersand Chartul. ii, 392–406. Innocent III in 1210 directed an inquiry
to be made and judgement given, in accordance with which the canons in 1215
agreed to pay to Evesham 30s. a year for
the tithes of Hohum so long as they
should hold it in demesne. Afterwards,
in 1237 and 1273, they agreed to pay an
additional 4s. a year.
The bounds of Hohum, in which the
canons' grange or manor-house was situate,
were thus described (ibid. ii, 394): Beginning on the western side of Merepool
(Markpool) along the sands north to
Mucklepool, then eastward to Turnbuthsyke, southward to the highway (via lata),
to Cracfoot by Hall meadow and to Marshal's furlong and across to Rocarr
(excluding 18 acres on the east side,
paying tithe to Penwortham), so to
Middlesyke and then west to Hohumcarr
and back to Markpool.
Cockersand Chartul. iii, 1254–9. The
manor or grange was tenanted by Ralph
Blackburn in 1451, by Charles Farington
in 1501, and by Richard Farington in
1537, at a rent of £12. In 1451 Thomas
Wilcock had the water-mill with certain
land for a rent of 26s. 8d.; his successors
in 1501 and 1537 held Bradford watermill and a windmill for 22s. rent. Fortyeight hens were paid by the tenants for
the Lees by the Ribble, and twelve hens
for the Carr by Bradfordgreves. The
rents of the tenants at will amounted to
£26 5s. 8d. in 1451, and had increased
by 22s. only by 1537; the free tenants
paid 18s. 8½d.
As to the subdivision of the land from
early times see a note, ibid. ii, 435.
||Pat. 37 Hen. VIII, pt. v. The
grant included other monastic lands in
Hutton Moss, Brookfield, Croston, Cuerden, Clayton, Shevington, Bretherton,
Parbold, Wrightington and Harrock Hill.
||Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 248.
The descent is thus given: Lawrence -s.
Edward (d.c. 1622) -s. Edward -s. Edward
(d. 1655, an error) -bro. Lawrence (aged
45) -s. Peter (aged 2).
||Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Eliz. xliii,
R 2, 2a.
||Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 30,
m. 84. A further settlement was made
in 1579 by Edward Rawstorne and Alice
his wife; ibid. bdle. 41, m. 106.
||Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Eliz. lxxxvi,
F 2. Other references to the numerous
disputes of the time may be seen in the
Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.).
||William Farington, as bailiff of Penwortham, complained in 1581 that
Edward Rawstorne was protecting John
Waring, a tenant of Hutton, who had
been fined at the leet court of Penwortham for an assault on Francis Farington.
Rawstorne, whose lordship was denied,
asserted that the place where the affray
took place was not within the jurisdiction
of the leet; Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Eliz.
cxxi, F 6.
In the following year Francis Farington,
of the Middle Temple, as holding Hutton
Grange, claimed certain 'averages' or
works commonly called bound service
from the tenants of Hutton; viz. half a
day's service with a plough, half a day's
labour in time of feeding, and one day's
labour with a carriage to convey from the
said messuage to the grounds and fields
thereof, and two days' labour in harvest
in reaping; the smaller tenants performed
half these tasks. Ibid. F 5.
William Farington in 1599 claimed
the manor of Hutton by grant of his
father Sir Henry Farington, and denied
the title of Edward Rawstorne, who had,
he alleged, stopped the tenants from enjoying common of pasture in Hutton Marsh,
and had taken possession of the mosses
and doles of moss. The defence was an
assertion of the Rawstorne title to the
lordship of the manor; ibid. clxxxviii,
F 1; cxcvii, F 9. See Lancs. and Ches. Rec.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 258, 279.
Edward Rawstorne appears to have
made a settlement of the manor, &c., in
1598; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 283, m. 5.
||See the account of New Hall in
Tottington. Edward Rawstorne died in
1646 without male issue, and in the following year Lawrence Rawstorne made a
settlement of the manor of Hutton, with
messuages, lands, windmill, water-mill,
&c., in Hutton and Spotland, and a free
fishery in the Ribble; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 144, m. 26.
Lawrence seems to have been a consistent Whig. There are numerous letters
of his printed in the Hist. MSS. Com.
Rep. xiv, App. iv; one of them in 1688
complains of the burden of the poor to
the township of Hutton (p. 193); he
desired that the other townships of the
parish should be made to help, 'for the
greatest share lies indeed upon me.'
||See Foster's Lancs. Pedigrees and
Burke's Landed Gentry. The descent in
outline is as follows: Lawrence Rawstorne, sheriff 1681, d. 1700 -s. William,
sheriff 1712 -s. Edward, will 1767—
neph. Lawrence (s. of Lawrence), sheriff
1776, d. 1803 -s. Lawrence, sheriff 1814,
d. 1850 -s. Lawrence, born 1842.
The following fines, &c., referring to
the manor of Hutton are recorded: In
1685—Lawrence Rawstorne, deforciant;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 214, m. 48.
1720—rent of £60 out of the manor by
William Rawstorne and Isabella his wife,
in favour of Edward son and heir of
William; ibid. bdle. 286, m. 91. 1738—
William Rawstorne and Edward his son
and heir, vouchees in a recovery; Pal. of
Lanc. Plea R. 546, m. 7. 1769—Richard
Wilbraham Bootle, Mary his wife and
Lawrence Rawstorne, deforciants; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 382, m. 82.
1803—Lawrence Rawstorne, vouchee;
Pa'. of Lanc. Lent Assizes 44 Geo. III,
||Many of the people of Longton seem
to have had lands in Hutton also.
Richard Scathe gave 3 acres in Horcockgreves to Cockersand Abbey; Cockersand Chartul. ii, 429. A little later
Alexander Scathe gave a number of pieces
of land, Adam his son adding an acre,
&c.; ibid. ii, 425–8, 445. Adam son of
Robert and grandson and heir of Adam
Scathe claimed a messuage and land in
Hutton in 1320; De Banco R. 236, m.
204; 240, m. 223 d.; Assize R. 425,
m. 3 d.
||Ellis son of Roger granted to Alice
daughter of Kettel and her sons Richard
and Robert 2 oxgangs of land in Hutton
(viz. those which had belonged to Gerard
and Ulf), also Godith the wife of Ulf and
her chattels, &c., doing the knight's
service appertaining to 2 oxgangs of land.
He added the sixth part of 3 oxgangs of
land which the canons of Cockersand
used to hold by farm; also the sixth part
of the service of Roger de Leicester for
land between Markpool and Pinkpool
and 12 acres in Hohum, and of Hervey
son of Hubert the Bastard for lands in
Bolothorncroft and Moorflat. For this
grant Alice released all title to a ploughland in Hutton of her father Kettel's,
which she had claimed in King John's
court; Dods. MSS. liii, fol. 87. The
deed, which may be dated 1201, bore a
seal showing an armed man on horseback, with the legend SIGILLVM: HELIE:
Abel de Hutton gave to Cockersand
land in the Crooklands and elsewhere;
Emma his widow and Adam and Roger
his sons confirmed and extended his gifts;
Cockersand Chartul. ii, 433–5, 447. In
1304–5 the abbot made a claim against
John son of Roger son of Roger (son of
Roger) son of Abel de Hutton; Assize R.
419, m. 4; 420, m. 9. The third Roger
in this pedigree seems to be an error, for
in 1303 John son of Roger son of Roger
Abel claimed 4 acres in Hutton against
Robert son of William de Loxham; De
Banco R. 145, m. 335.
||In 1477 Lewis Longton granted
4 acres in Rawcliff field in Hutton to
Hugh Woodcock; Towneley MS. DD,
no. 299. In 1498 he and his son John
granted land in Hutton to Thomas
Hesketh; ibid. no. 329, 331. He also
held lands in Longton; ibid. no. 1766.
In 1559 there was a fine respecting
three messuages, &c., in Hutton and
Longton, with a fishery in the Ribble,
between Lewis and John Longton; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 21, m. 149.
Lewis Longton and Thomas his son and
heir made a settlement in 1581; ibid.
odle. 43, m. 44. Lewis Longton of
Hutton was a freeholder in 1600; Misc.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 245.
Lewis died in 1614 holding of Edward
Rawstorne as of his manor of Hutton by
a rent of 10d. and suit of court. His
heir was his grandson Edward (son of
Thomas), aged seventeen; Lancs. Inq. p.m.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 34–6.
||Robert son of Bernard, lord of Goosnargh, had an oxgang of land in Hutton,
which his daughters gave to Cockersand;
Chartul. ii, 415.
Roger son of Richard son of Uctred de
Singleton also granted them an oxgang;
ibid. ii, 421. John Singleton died in
1530 holding land in Hutton of the
Abbot of Cockersand; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. vi, no. 32.
Richard son of Adam Banastre gave
6 acres in the townfield and 2½ acres in
the marsh to Cockersand; Chartul. ii,
424. Richard Banastre gave a fourth
part of the mill to Warine de Walton, who
gave it to his daughter Avice on her
marriage to John de Clayton; ibid. ii,
441. Henry Banastre of Bank in 1641
held lands, but the tenure is not recorded;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxix, no. 15.
William Farington of Worden purchased a messuage, &c., from Henry
Mare and Margaret his wife in 1589;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 51, m. 195.
It was found in 1611 that he held in
socage of Edward Rawstorne; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 181–4.
The Heskeths of Rufford held land in
Hutton, but the tenure was not known;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 16, &c.
The same is the case with the estate
of the Charnocks and Sollom; ibid. xvii,
no. 5; xxviii, no. 18; xxix, no. 73.
Henry Sherdley of Longton (1563) held
his messuage in Hutton of Lawrence
Rawstorne by a rent of 6d.; ibid. xiii,
Among the minor surnames in the
Cockersand Chartul. are those of Bonel,
Breton and Moor, occurring also in Longton. Adam Breton of Hutton in 1288
claimed land in the township against
William son of Christiana; Assize R.
1277, m. 32a d. William son of William
Gatherpenny gave his sister Margery in
1349 a messuage and garden in Hutton;
Kuerden fol. MS. p. 153. See also Dep.
Keeper's Rep. xl. App. 532.
||Subs. R. 130 no. 126, Lancs.
||Land tax returns at Preston. He
paid £11 14s. out of £12 5s. levied.
||Burscough Reg. fol. 53.
||Duchy of Lanc. Rentals and Surv.
bdle. 4, no. 6a, b; Robert Tomlinson was
tenant at will. In the time of Henry VII
Robert son of Thomas Henrison had lands
which he settled on Cecily wife of his
brother Ralph for life, with remainder to
Ralph's son Henry; Kuerden MSS. iii,
In 1551 Lewis Wilding purchased a
messuage, &c., from John Tomlinson;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 14, m. 187.
John Wilding died in 1640 holding a
messuage in Hutton of Edward Rawstorne by a rent of 2¼d.; Thomas his son
and heir was twenty-three years old;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxix, no. 87.
||Kuerden fol. MS. pp. 171–2. The
Prior of Penwortham granted 6½ acres of
it to Robert son of Geoffrey; ibid. p. 310.
Cockersand Chartul. ii, 433.
||Ibid. ii, 411, 420. There is a Chapel
Hill in Hutton.