||The Census Rep. of 1901 gives 1,161
acres, including 17 of inland water.
||This bridge, called Three Bridge, is
perhaps the successor of the 'Risenebrige'
of the Cockersand charters, quoted below.
||Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 154. See also the
account of Wrightington.
Robert de Holland seems to have held
the Lathom share of Dalton and Parbold
in 1320, and his successor Lord Lovel
about 1480; see Mamecestre (Chet. Soc.),
ii, 288; iii, 515. These occupy exactly
the same place as the Lathoms do in
other rentals; ibid. iii, 479. There was
payable 3s. for sake fee and 5s. for castle
ward, of which Parbold contributed 4s.
(ibid. iii, 491); also puture of the serjeants. A mesne manor must therefore
have been created for the Hollands.
||This statement of the descent is from
Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2 (Pentecost,
2 Duke Henry), m. 8. At that time
the four daughters were all dead. See
also Genealogist (new ser.), xvi, 201–6.
Richard de Lathom being of full age in
1291 claimed 5 acres in Parbold against
Roger Banastre; De Banco R. 91, m.
268 d. Richard claimed against Geoffrey
son of Roger Banastre in 1316; ibid.
214, m. 250. He was one of the
defendants to a claim for land put forward
by Edmund de Rigby in 1325; Assize R.
426, m. 3. He was still living in 1328,
when he released to Katherine de Lathom
his right in lands formerly Robert de
Lathom's; Kuerden MSS. iii, W 26 d.
His death took place between 1329 and
1332, in which latter year his daughter
Lucy as widow of John de Warburton
had to defend her title to the manor; De
Banco R. 292, m. 53. Cecily, a sister,
was under age in 1335; ibid. 304, m.
43 d. In 1344 Lucy made a feoffment
of the manor of Parbold; Final Conc. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 120; and in
1346 she was wife of Thomas le Strange;
De Banco R. 348, m. 404. By her first
husband she had a son Edward, who
must have died before 1350; ibid. 358,
m. 19; 361, m. 59.
The last reference marks the appearance of Henry de Trafford and Thomas
de Bradshagh as claimants of the manor;
Thomas was still a minor. Their claims
were prosecuted for several years. Thomas
de Bradshagh sued for thirteen messuages,
two mills, &c., at Easter, 1354; Duchy of
Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. 4. Henry de Trafford
and Lucy his wife continued their claim
for the manor in 1355; ibid. 4, m. 4.
||Richard son of Robert de Lathom
granted to Alexander de Lathom lands in
Parbold, &c.; Kuerden MSS. iii, W 26 d.
Ellen widow of Henry de Lathom (of
Tarbock) in 1288 claimed dower against
Richard de Lathom, Alexander de Lathom,
Roger Banastre and others in two messuages, two mills, &c., in Parbold; De
Banco R. 75, m. 38 d. Richard son of
the later Henry de Lathom (of Tarbock)
in 1325 claimed a messuage and land in
Parbold against John son of Alexander
de Lathom; ibid. 257, m. 36.
About the same time the said Richard
laid claim to the manor of Parbold, and
his namesake of Parbold summoned the
lord of Lathom to warrant him; De Banco
R. 263, m. 240 d. The reasons for the
claim are not given, but it was prosecuted
for thirty years. Richard son of Henry
de Lathom was still prosecuting his claim
against Richard de Lathom of Parbold
in 1329; ibid. 277, m. 82. In 1332
Lucy widow of John de Warburton was
the defendant, and two years later the
claim against her was continued by
Richard son of Richard de Torbock; ibid.
292, m. 53; 297, m. 12. There are
references in subsequent years, and in
1346 Sir William Carles demanded the
manor in right of his wife Emma;
ibid. 346, m. 264 d.; 358, m. 19. It
was declared that Thomas le Strange and
Lucy his wife (the above-named Lucy)
had in 1349 'no lands in Lancashire';
ibid. 358, m. 64 d. The Carles claim
was still put forward in 1355; Duchy of
Lanc. Assize R. 4, m. 18 d.
||Sir Thomas de Lathom in 1344
claimed twelve messuages, two mills,
lands and rent in Parbold against two
chaplains, probably feoffees of the Lathoms
of Parbold, for they summoned Thomas
le Strange and Lucy his wife to warrant
them; De Banco R. 340, m. 402 d.;
348, m. 404. In 1348 Sir Thomas de
Lathom the elder claimed the manor
against Edward son of John de Warburton, who was still a minor; ibid. 356,
m. 511. He appears to have made an
agreement, for in 1352 Sir William Carles
and Emma his wife pursued their claim
for the manor against Edward son of Sir
Thomas de Lathom, who, being a minor,
called Sir Thomas to warrant him;
Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2, m. 3 (Pentecost), m. 2 d. (Mich.). In some of the
suits previously referred to Sir Thomas
de Lathom, Eleanor his wife and Edward
de Lathom were the defendants. The
whole matter seems to have been settled
by 1356, when all the pleas ceased: for
instance, Sir Geoffrey de Warburton the
elder did not in Dec. 1355 prosecute his
suit against Sir Thomas de Lathom the
elder and others; ibid. 4, m. 240.
||Edward de Lathom in 1371 claimed
a messuage and land in Parbold against
Richard the Parker of Lathom; De
Banco R. 443, m. 306; 448, m. 75.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ii, no. 7;
Edward de Lathom was still living in
1385, and in 1389 (I' an duz of Ric. II)
he became bound to Robert Banastre;
Towneley MS. OO, no. 1187.
||Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 112, m. 18 d.;
Robert Lathom v. Thomas Stopford, concerning four messuages, 50 acres of land,
&c., which Thomas de Lathom the elder
gave to Edward his son and the heirs
male of his body.
||Eleanor widow of Robert Lathom in
1446 claimed dower in a messuage and
land in Parbold against Ellen widow of
Richard Woodward; ibid. 9, m. 7b.
John Lathom, canon of Beverley, was
perhaps of this family. His will (1470) is
printed in Test. Ebor. (Surtees Soc.), iii, 173.
||See the account of Allerton.
||Robert Lathom was in possession in
1473; Mamecestre, iii, 479.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 7.
Besides the three manors he had lands in
Woolton and Walton-on-the-Hill.
||At this point there is some obscurity,
perhaps due to illegitimate succession.
William is said to have had a son William,
whose son Richard was father of the
Thomas named in the text; Piccope
MS. Pedigrees (Chet. Lib.), ii, p. 37.
William Lathom was described as 'a great
man in those parts' in 1527; Duchy Plead.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 148.
Richard Lathom was in possession in
1546, when he purchased two gardens,
&c., in Parbold and Wrightington from
Richard Banastre; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of
F. bdle. 12, m. 170. See also Ducatus
Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 182, 222. He was
still living in 1567, when he claimed from
Richard Stopford and others suit to the
halmote court; ibid. ii, 348, 353.
Thomas Lathom was a defendant in
1578; ibid. iii, 69. He and Isabel his
wife sold land in Walton in 1577; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 39, m. 83.
John Lathom of London claimed the
manors of Allerton, Parbold and Wrightington (one-fourth) and various lands as
son and heir of Robert brother and heir
of William son and heir of Robert. This
last must be the Robert who died in
1516, so that at the date given for the
petition John Lathom must have been a
very aged man. He asserted that various
deeds came into the hands of Richard
Lathom of Parbold, who wrongfully
entered and took the profits. See Duchy
of Lanc. Plead. cciii, L 16.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no.
32. The estate included the manor of
Parbold, with a capital messuage there,
water-mill, &c., a fourth part of the
manor of Wrightington, a chantry
founded in the chapel of Douglas, with
lands belonging to it, the advowson of
Eccleston, &c. Richard the son and heir
was thirty-four years of age.
||Ibid. xviii, no. 44. His mother
Isabel was still living. He made a settlement of Allerton on behalf of his wife
Elizabeth and his younger sons, Edward,
Peter, William, Richard and John.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), iii, 404–6. Elizabeth his
mother was still living.
||See Gillow, Bibl. Dict. of Engl. Cath. iv,
146, where it is stated that Thomas Lathom
appeared on the recusant rolls in 1605.
Richard Lathom took part in the attack
on Lancaster in 1643, when the town
was burnt by the Royalists; Cal. Com.
for Comp. i, 21.
Index of Royalists (Index Soc.), 43.
Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), iv, 68. Richard
Lathom was seised of quit-rents due to
the lord of the manor of Parbold worth
£3 12s. 4d. a year, and of customary
works worth 5s., and of court baron and
court leet fines, &c., 2s. 6d.; also of a
messuage called Parbold Hall, water gristmill and lands in Eccleston and Wrightington worth £104 12s. a year. George
Hurd of London, merchant, purchased
the manor of Parbold, &c.
||Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 176;
Richard's son and heir Thomas was aged
seventeen in 1664. From the Piccope
pedigree already quoted it appears that
Thomas left two daughters. He had
five brothers—Richard, William, Christopher, George and George—and five
sisters. Of the brothers William succeeded; Christopher was a priest, and at
one time served at Puddington. As
William presented to the rectory of
Eccleston in 1704 and 1706 it is probable that he became a Protestant. He
is said to have died about 1730, and
members of the family occur in Parbold
later; Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xi,
211. Peter Lathom, founder of the
charity, is said to have belonged to it.
||A settlement of the manors of Parbold, Wrightington and Allerton, with
various lands, was made in 1653 by
Richard Lathom and Katherine his wife;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 151, m.
104. Two years later, in a fine regarding the manor of Parbold and lands there
and in Wrightington, the deforciants were
Richard Lathom, Katherine his wife,
George Hurd and Elizabeth his wife,
while the plaintiff was John Crisp; ibid.
bdle. 155, m. 141. This was probably
a mortgage, but it will be seen that John
Crisp presented to the rectory of Eccleston in 1672.
Thomas Crisp of Parbold died in 1758,
aged sixty-eight; he was Sheriff of Lancashire in 1715–16 (P.R.O. List, 74)
and member for Ilchester in 1727. According to the monument in Eccleston
church he was 'a polite scholar and a fine
||In 1762 William Law was plaintiff
in a fine regarding the manors of Parbold
and Wrightington and Mary Crisp, widow,
Sir John Tyrrell and Mary his wife were
deforciants; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 368, m. 36. In 1788 George Wood
and James Topping appear to have held
the same; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 647,
From G.E.C.'s Complete Baronetage (iv,
37) it appears that Sir John Tyrrell married
Mary daughter and heir of Thomas Crisp
of Parbold by Mary his wife, and died
in 1766, leaving two daughters—Mary
who married the third Earl of Arran
(s.p.), and Elizabeth, unmarried.
Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xi, 211.
||Ibid. xv, 199; the same article contains a number of interesting details of
houses, &c., in the neighbourhood. At the
farm-house mentioned are stone panels
inscribed HL and TL 1686.
||The details have been given above
in the account of Wrightington. Prior's
Wood is the name of a house near Douglas
Chapel. The Prior of St. John in 1319
claimed lands, &c., against Nicholas de
Ripon; De Banco R. 231, m. 82.
||In 1202 Syrid daughter of Vivian
released to Henry son of Bernard (de
Parbold) 4 oxgangs of land which was
claimed by inheritance; Final Conc. i, 19.
The Parbold family must at that time
have held half the manor.
Henry de Parbold granted lands to
Cockersand Abbey, parts of which adjoined the Hospitallers' lands. The local
names occurring in the charters are—
Risen bridge, Waingate, Clough, Fernclough, Douglas, Greenlache, Lighthurst
Clough, Haverhule Carr; Cockersand
Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 506–10. His
name as a witness occurs a little earlier;
ibid. ii, 497.
Mabel de Parbold in 1246 complained
of the death of Albin her husband (who
had held 8 acres of Robert de Lathom)
and Richard her son; but it appeared
that they were robbers of cattle and had
been executed; Assize R. 404, m. 17.
In 1273 Maud daughter of Richard
complained that various persons had
attacked and wounded her at Parbold,
and that Hugh son of Adam de Parbold
was wrongfully detaining her chattels;
De Banco R. 3, m. 24 d. Robert son of
Robert son of Alan de Parbold in 1277
claimed a messuage, &c., against Warine
de Bispham; ibid. 21, m. 60.
Henry son of Adam de Parbold was in
1292 summoned by William son of
Henry de Lighthurst to acquit him of
the service demanded by Richard de
Lathom out of a free tenement in Parbold; Assize R. 408, m. 42 d. At the
same time Robert son of Adam de Parbold complained that the Prior of St.
John had disseised him of common of
pasture in Parbold; but the prior replied
that the land referred to was wood, not
pasture, and that William the Chaplain
held the soil of the wood and pasture for
life; ibid. m. 62 d.
||Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 83b, 84.
||Ibid. Some account of the Banastre
family has been given under Wrightington.
In 1447 William Coppull was bound
to give acquittances to Richard Banastre
and others for the sum of 10s. yearly
from lands in Parbold in right of his
wife; B.M. Add. Chart. no. 8496.
For a dispute as to Parratt's fields and
Lighthurst see Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.),
i, 168, 262.
||Henry de Parbold was the benefactor.
The bounds began at Deadmansyke head
and easements of the vill and wood of
Parbold were included; Burscough Reg.
The following were the tenants in 1536,
after the Suppression: Gilbert Banastre
for Fairhurst, 12d.; Edward Lathom for
lands of William Lathom, 12d.; Richard
Wilson, Richard Banastre (for his own
land), heirs of Richard Parbold, William
Walles for Wallfield (in the occupation
of James German); Duchy of Lanc.
Rentals and Surv. bdle. 4, no. 6a, 6b.
From the above it seems clear that Fairhurst was partly in Parbold and partly in
||Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 130, no. 126.
||Adam son of Emma de Tunley in
1292 was non-suited in his claim against
Henry son of Adam Juet for a tenement
in Parbold; Assize R. 408, m. 36.
Emma widow of Thomas Kitson in
1339 sought lands in Wrightington and
Parbold against Adam son of Thomas
Kitson and against John son of Roger
Banastre; De Banco R. 318, m. 178 d.
||Robert Simpson and Anne his wife
made a feoffment of a messuage and land
in Parbold in 1577, which they sold ten
years later to Richard Holland; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 39, m. 151; 49,
m. 204. Holland died shortly afterwards
holding lands in Upholland, Parbold and
Ormskirk, leaving a son and heir James,
over sixty-eight years old; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 20. James
Holland died in 1605 holding land in
Parbold of the king as of his manor of
East Greenwich; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 31. His son
and heir Richard was eleven years of age.
William Hawett, 1638, held land by
a similar tenure; Towneley MS. C 8, 13
(Chet. Lib.), p. 511.
Arthur Finch of Wrightington and
Robert Hesketh of Rufford held parts of
the Hospitallers' lands; Lancs. Inq. p.m.
(Rec. Soc.), ii, 179; iii, 357. Nicholas
Rigby of Harrock, 1629, held of Richard
Lathom; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 1000.
Ducatus Lanc. iii, 131. William
Orrell in 1583 purchased lands in Dalton,
Parbold, &c., from Richard Prescott the
younger, Joan his wife, Thomas Lassell
and Edward his son; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 45, m. 156.
||Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Edw. VI,
xxxi, B 3. It contained 10 acres and was
granted by Richard Banastre of Wrightington to Katherine Barton, widow, for
life; on her second marriage to Lawrence
Finch her son entered into possession,
whereupon Richard Banastre complained.
||Land tax returns at Preston.
||For an account of the old building
which stood near the Douglas, half a mile
south of Christ Church, see Mr. W. F.
Price's essay in Trans. Hist. Soc. (new
ser.), xi, 207–34. Two views are given,
and from these it is conjectured that
the building shown was built in 1420,
and that a large aisle was added on the
north side about forty years later.
The pulpit (1648), desk and font were
removed to the new church. The bell,
recast in 1741 at Wigan, is now in
the schools. There are two chalices and
an almsdish given by Eleanor daughter
of Nicholas Rigby of Harrock in 1749,
and more modern plate. The registers
do not begin till 1813.
||John priest of Douglas occurs about
1240; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxvi, App.
201. William the Chaplain in 1292
has been mentioned above. In 1306
the Prior of St. John complained that
Richard de Lathom had broken into his
chapel at Douglas and carried off his
goods; De Banco R. 158, m. 16 d.; 163,
m. 96. Richard de Stainolf, chaplain of
Douglas, occurs in 1378–9; Kuerden
MSS. ii, fol. 266.
In Nov. 1402 William de Derby,
the chaplain, gave the lands, &c., pertaining to the chapel of Douglas (Dogohulle) to Sir John de Ireland of Hale
and others as trustees or lessees; Hale D.
It is noteworthy that in 1445 the
chapel was said to be 'in the parish of
Wigan'; Lich. Epis. Reg. ix, fol. 127b.
Duchy Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 147. Hugh Rigby of Parbold,
chaplain and incumbent of the chapel of
Our Blessed Lady in Parbold alias Douglas,
stated that he was presented about 1520
by William Lathom, the said William
and his ancestors having been 'without
time of mind' founders and patrons
thereof, and that he had been forcibly
expelled. Henry Stananought was alleged
to have obtained by craft a new presentation from William Lathom, 'being an
old gentleman and blind,' on the assertion
that Hugh Rigby was neglecting his
duty at Douglas on account of his other
benefice in Somerset.
Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), v, 231.
The statement that Henry Parbold was
founder is doubtful. Henry Stananought
was at that time (1535) chaplain, and
the revenue was 69s. 8d.
Stananought was still incumbent in
1547–8 at the Suppression, being fifty-six
years of age. The only ornaments were
a chalice and vestment. The income
was derived from lands in Parbold and
Dalton. See Raines, Chantries (Chet.
A bell remained at Douglas Chapel in
1552; Church Goods (Chet. Soc.), 127.
||About 1610 it was returned that
Douglas Chapel was 'without minister or
stipend of late times'; Hist. MSS. Com.
Rep. xiv, App. iv, 11.
||An inscription on a window in the
old chapel stated that Bishop Bridgeman
caused the windows to be painted in
1621; Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xi,
214. In 1626 Thomas Legh bequeathed
£20 to Douglas Chapel by Parbold;
Wills (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 126.
Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), 116. The endowment consisted of capital sums of £20
and £5 for a 'preaching minister'; and
the rector of Eccleston had been ordered
to pay £55 a year to the minister. As
early as 1646 a sum of £30 had been
ordered to be paid out of the revenues of
the Dean and Chapter of Chester; Plund.
Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
i, 23; see also p. 44.
William Brownsword signed the 'Harmonious Consent' of 1648 as 'preacher
at Douglas,' and was there in 1650; see
the account of Hoole. Jonathan Scholefield, who signed the 'Harmonious Consent' as minister of Heywood, is said to
have been ejected from Douglas Chapel
in 1662; Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf.
||Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc.),
Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xi, 228.
Some further particulars are given.
||This imperfect list is taken from the
church papers at Chester and from Mr.
W. F. Price's in the article just quoted.
||Entered St. John's Coll. in 1723;
R. F. Scott, Admissions, iii, 38. Buried
at Ormskirk 9 Feb. 1733–4.
||Buried in 1764. He lived at Newburgh.
||Vicar of Ormskirk.
||Previously rector of Eccleston.
||In a report made to the Bishop of
Chester at his visitation in 1821 it was
stated that the incumbent lived at Bretherton, 8 miles off. The usual congregation was 200. There was a service
with sermon on Sunday morning, also on
the great festivals, and the sacrament was
administered quarterly. There were many
Dissenters and many Roman Catholics.
||He resided at Standish, but towards
the close of his life procured the erection
of a vicarage house at Parbold.
||Died 19 Feb. 1909, soon after being
preferred to the rectory of Brindle.
||The incumbent of Douglas in 1804
sent the following report to the Bishop of
Chester: 'In the chapelry of Douglas are
67 Papists, one person, viz. Thomas
Bimson, junr., perverted to Popery by
marrying a Papist woman. There are
three places where they assemble for
worship, viz.: Wrightington Hall, Parbold
Hall and Fairhurst Hall; their priests
are Mr. Felix Delalond of Wrightington
Hall, Mr. Marsh of Parbold Hall, and Mr.
Orton of Fairhurst Hall. There is a
Popish school kept at Parbold Hall by
Mr. Marsh'; Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.),
xi, 225. The 'Popish school' is now at
Ampleforth; ibid. xiii, 167.
Liverpool Catb. Annual.