||1,727, including 29 of inland water;
Census Rep. 1901.
||Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
The houses next in size were those of
Robert Almond, seven; Mr. Holt, six;
and John Finch, five.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 29.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 261.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 150.
In 1288 Adam Banastre held of William
de Ferrers the vill of Shevington by the
service of 8s. yearly; ibid. 269. This
may denote the Marsey grant first referred to. In 1302 the 'heirs of Robert
Banastre' held the fourth part of a fee;
ibid. 315. Sir Adam Banastre granted
to Sir William Banastre 24 marks and
5½d. rent from messuages, lands and tenements in Broughton, Salford, Charnock,
Adlington, Duxbury and Shevington;
Kuerden fol. MS. (Chet. Lib.), 366, R 30.
To the aid of 1346–55 Sir John de
Harrington (and his partners) contributed
for the same fourth part; Feud. Aids, iii, 87.
Nicholas de Harrington, Adam de Hoghton,
Geoffrey de Wrightington and William de
Charnock were the lords in 1378; Harl.
MS. 2085, fol. 423. In 1445–6 Thomas
Harrington, Richard Hoghton, Henry
Charnock and the heir of Robert Wrightington held the same; the relief was 25s.,
which was 'put in respite because they
were ignorant what quantity each of them
held'; Duchy of Lanc. Knights' Fees,
bdle. 2, no. 20.
||Shevington seems to have been regarded as the Harringtons' part of the
lordship, their name being usually connected with it; but as late as 1559 Sir
Richard Hoghton was stated to hold a
third of the fourth part of a knight's fee in
Shevington, Charnock Richard and Welch
Whittle of the queen as of her duchy of
Lancaster; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi,
no. 2. In the later Hoghton inquisitions
the tenure is not stated.
||In 1508 there was a dispute between
Richard Beaumont and Elizabeth his wife
on one side and Sir Edward Stanley, lately
husband of Anne, on the other—Elizabeth
and Anne being daughters and heirs of Sir
Thomas Harrington—as to the inheritance, which included lands in Shevington,
Aintree and Melling in South Lancashire;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 106, m. 4 d. There
was probably a division, as Melling and
Aintree went to Elizabeth's heirs, while
Shevington became the Mounteagles'.
Thomas Stanley Lord Mounteagle died
in 1560 holding the manor of Shevington
of the queen by knight's service; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 1. His son
William was the vendor. He appears to
have mortgaged it as early as 1553 and
again in 1565; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdles. 15, m. 120; 27, m. 198.
||Ibid. bdle. 36, m. 87. Lord Mounteagle's free tenants about the same time
were Edward Standish, Roger Bimson,
Nicholas Walter, Robert Rigby, Nicholas
Gillibrand, John Bold, James Bradshaw
and Alexander Woodward; Kuerden, loc.
The descent of the Rigby manor or
estate in Shevington is uncertain. A
settlement of lands in Shevington and
Wigan was in 1592 made by Edward
Rigby and Dorothy his wife; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 54, m. 59. Three
years later Richard Prescot purchased a
messuage and land in the township from
Robert Rigby, John his son and Ellen
wife of John; ibid. bdle. 57, m. 109.
Edward Rigby died in 1635 holding a
messuage and land in Shevington of Lord
Morley and Mounteagle as of the honour
of Hornby; his son and heir John was
twenty-seven years old; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 28. From this it
would seem that the Mounteagle manor
had not been sold.
John Rigby of Shevington, 'a wellaffected Protestant,' occurs in 1651; Cal.
Com. for Comp. iv, 2757.
||Jordan de Hulton in 1253 claimed 8
oxgangs in Shevington and 30 acres in
Wrightington against Robert son of Robert
de Hulton; Curia Regis R. 149, m. 19 d.
The descent of Jordan de Hulton's
estates seems to be indicated in a plea
respecting his land in Wrightington in
1292. His sisters were Agnes wife of
Richard de Pierpoint, Almarica wife of
Henry Whithoud, Ellen de Hulton, Eva
de Sutherworth. Almarica wife of William
de Anderton was a niece and Adam de
Pennington was a nephew. Other kinsmen were Peter son of Peter de Burnhull
and Ralph son of Jordan de Standish;
Assize R. 408, m. 37 d.
Robert de Hulton in 1277 complained
that Hugh son of Gilbert de Haydock and
others had cut down his trees in Shevington Wood and carried them away; De
Banco R. 21, m. 23 d.
Ellen widow of Henry de Hulton in
1289 claimed dower in messuages and
land in Shevington against Richard de
Hulton; ibid. 79, m. 95.
||Richard (or Roger) de Hulton of
Shevington in 1325 granted to Thomas
his son and heir certain lands in Shevington; Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstracts), no. 35. In the same year he
gave his son Henry land called the
Crook in Shevington at a quit-rent of
1d.; Add. MS. 32104, no. 507. Henry
de Hulton in 1349 gave to Maud de
Ince and Hugh son of Richard de Ince
a rent of 10 marks charged on his
lands in the Crook by Ryley clough
and Douglas; ibid. no 1165. From
another deed (no. 1167) it appears that
Henry married Maud. Agnes the daughter
of Henry in 1365 released to trustees
her right in the Crook, while in 1386
Henry de Hulton demised land and a
grange to Hugh de Ince for a term of six
years; ibid. no. 506, 1166.
In 1343 Agnes widow of Thomas de
Hulton and Richard her son complained
that Roger de Hulton and Henry his son
had wrongfully arrested her ploughs at
Shevington; Assize R. 430, m. 3 d.
||Standish D. (Local Glean.), ii,
no. 1–3, which should be dated Hen. VI;
see also Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 5, m. 14b.
Robert de Hulton had granted to his son
Richard certain lands in Shevington
which were claimed by Thurstan de
Standish by descent as follows: Richard
–s. Roger –s. Henry –s. Robert –dr.
Margery –s. and h. Thurstan de Standish.
Roger de Catterall, Katherine his wife,
Hugh del Hey and Isabel his wife were
in possession of a portion of the tenement; Roger called Richard Catterall to
Seisin of lands in Shevington, formerly
belonging to Henry son of Roger de
Hulton, was in 1383 given to Adam de
Meadowcroft and Margery daughter of
Robert de Hulton; Standish D. (Mrs.
Tempest's abstract), no. 105.
Thurstan was perhaps the ancestor of
Thurstan Standish of Gathurst who
occurs in deeds of 1463 to 1488 and 1502;
Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 354–6,
189. Lawrence Standish in 1539 became
bound to Thomas Standish to abide an
arbitration concerning the land and estate
of Thurstan Standish late of Gatehouse
(Gathurst); ibid. no. 296.
Elizabeth Standish, widow, and Lawrence Standish in 1550 made a settlement
of eight messuages and lands in Shevington;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 14, m. 337.
From the names Thurstan and Lawrence it may be conjectured that this
family was connected with the Standishes
of Burgh; Visit. 1613 (Chet. Soc.), 123.
||In 1562 Roger son and heir of
Thomas Standish of Shevington agreed to
convey to Edward Standish of Standish
all the estates of his parents Thomas and
Elizabeth; Standish D. (Local Glean.),
no. 315. Roger is called 'of Parkbrook '
in Kuerden fol. MS. 366, R 22.
For disputes between Roger, 'late of
Parkbrook,' and Edward Standish as to
lands called the Great Urchinsnape and
Gibbonsfield, see Duchy of Lanc. Plead.
Eliz. liii, S 2. It appears that Roger had
first mortgaged and then sold his lands.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 64.
The estate is not described in the same
way in the later inquisitions. Thus
Alexander Standish, who died in 1445, is
said to have held three messuages, 44 acres
of land, &c., in Shevington of Margaret
widow of Sir William Harrington by services unknown; Towneley MS. DD,
no. 1479. Similarly in the case of Ralph
Standish, 1538 and later.
About 1260 Hugh son of Gerard de
Duleys (? Douglas) granted land in Shevington to Ralph de Standish; Standish
D. (Local Glean.), no. 362. William son
of Jordan de Standish in 1318 made a
settlement of the eighth part of the manor,
and the same part was in 1332 granted by
John son of William de Standish to his
son William on his marriage; ibid. no. 8,
20. Four years later John de Standish
gave land in Urchinclough to Henry Coppinger in exchange for a parcel in Ryley
clough, and Richard Sayselson gave other
land in Ryley clough, beginning at the
Lumm and bounded in part by the Pales,
to the same John; ibid. no. 29, 32. The
Standishes had a park in Shevington
(implied by the Pales), for in 1354 Agnes
daughter of Richard Sayselson held part
of 3 acres extending to the park of Henry
de Standish; ibid. no. 40.
Richard 'Sayselson' may have been
heir of the Cecily de Shevington who had
about 1260 grants of land from Alice de
Parbold and Henry her son, and from
Henry son of Richard de Shevington (the
same Henry); Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 267b.
For another Cecily see note 7 below.
The eighth part of the manor, with
lands in Shevington, was granted to Lawrence de Standish in 1398–9 on his marriage with Lora de Pilkington; Standish
D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 115;
see also Final Conc. iii, 81.
Oliver Standish, who was a son of
Alexander, in 1479 purchased Ryley in
Shevington, and in 1508 granted lands
there to his son Henry; Standish D.
(Local Glean.), no. 164, 198.
Edward Standish of Standish, who died
in 1610, held lands in Shevington by
several titles. Part was held of the king
as of the late priory of St. John of Jerusalem by a rent of 3d., and a messuage,
&c., called Paradise of the same by fealty
only; other lands were held of Edward
Wrightington by 16d. rent, and a messuage, &c., called Parkbrook of Richard
Shireburne and Edward Rigby (who were
then the lords of Leylandshire); Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
i, 190. The 'manor of Shevington,' not
claimed in this inquisition, is constantly
referred to in the Standish settlements, e.g.
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 75, no. 11.
||John del Fairclough, Almarica his
wife, Robert his son and Margery daughter
of Henry Witte in 1328 agreed with
Henry as to the eighth part of the manor,
which was in default to remain to the
right heirs of Almarica; Final Conc. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 72. Sir Robert
de Nevill of Hornby released land to
Robert son of John de Fairclough;
Kuerden fol. MS. 366, R 21. Edmund
Witte of Shevington and Emma his wife
made a grant of land in 1353; Standish
D. (Local Glean.), no. 39.
At Easter 1356 Margery widow of
Robert de Fairclough and daughter of
Henry Witte claimed an eighth part of the
manor (except 100 acres of land), but the
jury held that Robert had alienated the
estate to Hugh de Pemberton, rector of
Brindle; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 5, m. 29.
In 1362 Henry de Fairclough exchanged land in Foxholes for Robert de
Standish's land near Gathurst hey; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 54.
Ralph de Fairclough in 1420 sold to
Sir William de Harrington a rent of 6d.
in Shevington, together with the homage
and service of Thomas de Trafford and
Margery his wife; Final Conc. iii, 78.
Ralph Fairclough, Margaret his wife
and Edward his son occur in 1448; Pal.
of Lanc. Plea R. II, m. 2b.
Final Conc. iii, 160; Thomas,
Richard and Bartholomew Hesketh were
plaintiffs and Ralph Fairclough and Grace
his wife deforciants of messuages and lands
in Shevington, Wrightington and Welch
Whittle. Ralph had a son Lawrence;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 101. A later plea
shows a pedigree thus: Henry Fairclough
-s. Ralph -s. Lawrence -s. Ralph; ibid.
104, m. 3 d.
Sir Thomas Hesketh died in 1588
holding messuages and lands in Shevington of the heirs of the lord of Hornby by
fealty only; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
xv, no. 56.
The manor of Shevington and lands
there were in 1620 said to be held of the
king by the fiftieth part of a knight's fee;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), iii, 356.
The manor of Shevington occurs as late
as 1798 in a settlement of the estates of
Sir T. D. Hesketh; Pal. of Lanc.
Plea R. Lent Assizes, 38 Geo. III, no. 7.
||The Nevill estate may have descended
from Hulton or Atherton as in other
cases. Hugh de Atherton had land and
wood in Shevington in 1305; De Banco
R. 154, m. 46 d. An eighth part of the
manor was in 1347 settled by Sir Robert
de Nevill of Hornby, Joan his wife, John
his son and Isabel wife of John; Final
Conc. ii, 125. This no doubt descended
to the Harringtons and Mounteagles and
became merged in that already recorded.
The manor of Shevington appears in a
list of those held or claimed by the
Harringtons of Farleton in 1572; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 34, m. 76, 80.
||Walter de Carr, Alice his wife, Adam
de Fairhurst, Margery his wife and others
in 1283 claimed land in Shevington
against Adam son of Thomas de Shevington and William son of Simon of the
same; De Banco R. 48, m. 8.
Richard son of Richard son of William
de Shevington was in 1292 non-suited in
a claim against Richard de Perpoint and
Agnes his wife; Assize R. 408, m. 21 d.
Richard son of Avice de Shevington in
1305 made claims against various persons;
De Banco R. 154, m. 46 d.
By an undated charter Thomas son of
Nicholas de Shevington gave lands in the
place to Thomas son of Henry de Shevington; Standish D. (Mrs. Tempest's
abstracts), no. 6.
||Hugh son of Richard de Shevington
in 1348 gave to Geoffrey de Wrightington for twelve years a rent of 12s. out of
messuages, &c., in Shevington, also a rent
of 40s. for the life of Hugh son of
William the Carpenter, and the reversion
of all the grantor's lands in the township
with demesnes, homages, &c., held by
the said Hugh son of William; Kuerden
MSS. ii, fol. 267b. At the same time
Richard de Perpoint and Agnes his wife
gave land in Stonyhurst in Shevington to
Richard son of Richard de Shevington;
ibid. The father Richard may have been
the Richard Sayselson of a preceding note.
Geoffrey de Wrightington had licence
to agree with Hugh de Shevington regarding a tenement in the township; De
Banco R. 356, m. 209 d.
Hugh son of William the Wright,
together with Edith his wife, was in 1354
defendant to a charge of waste in Shevington; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 3, m.
6; 4, m. 7 d. See also Dep. Keeper's Rep.
xl, App. 543; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet.
Soc.), ii, 133.
From preceding notes it will have been
seen that the Wrightingtons were included
among the lords of the fourth part of a
fee comprising Shevington. A settlement
of the 'manor' was made in 1574 by John
Wrightington; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 36, m. 3. This estate is probably the
'manor of Shevington' held in 1723 by
Edward Dicconson and Mary his wife; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 291, m. 126.
||In 1292 Cecily widow of Alexander
le Fitz Gene de Holland claimed dower in
a messuage against Alice widow of Robert
de Hulton; Assize R. 408, m. 41.
Thurstan de Holland was defendant in
1356 in a plea already cited; Duchy of
Lanc. Assize R. 5, m. 4 d. 29.
William de Markland of Wigan held
messuages and land in Shevington of
Margaret Banastre by a rent of 13d.; he
granted them to John de Holland and
William de Chester. The latter gave
half to Robert de Holland; Inq. a.q.d. 17
Edw. II, no. 137.
John de Holland of Hale in 1334 successfully claimed an eighth part of the
manor of Shevington and lands there and
in Wigan against Sir Robert de Holland,
Gilbert de Haycock and others; but
Alice de Tunstall in turn made a claim
against John and others respecting a free
tenement in the same places, and John de
Holland was committed to the Marshalsea; Coram Rege R. 297, m. 93, 69 d.
William de Holland of Hale in 1366
leased to Henry son of John son of Henry
the Wright of Shevington, Mariona his wife
and John and Hugh their sons lands called
Grendillisfield (formerly held by William
Witte), Omthull, and Ridges; Standish
D. (Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 88.
John son and heir of Adam de Bredkirk released to Lawrence de Standish his
right to a moiety of the lands, &c., formerly belonging to William Holland in
Shevington; the enrolment is dated 1416;
Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxiii, App. 22.
||Richard and Agnes de Pierpoint have
been named above in a plea of 1292, and
Richard was a defendant in 1305; De
Banco R. 154, m. 46 d. A note of one of
his charters is in Kuerden fol. MS. 366,
R 1. A number of the Pierpoint charters
are in Kuerden MSS. iv, R 2b. Richard
in 1308–9 gave his son Robert land in
Shevington; Robert, who was a clerk,
had several sons by Cecily de Eccleston—
John, Robert, Richard, Thomas and
Roger—on whom lands in Shevington
were settled in 1322–3. Joan daughter
of John le Perpoint of Shevington in
1371 gave lands in the township to
Robert son of Edmund de Standish;
Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 56.
Nicholas Perpoint and Alice his wife occur
in 1448; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 11, m. 2b.
||Emma daughter of Robert de Shuttleworth released to her brother Richard
her right in Shevington; Standish D.
(Local Glean.), no. 5. Richard de Shuttleworth was a defendant in 1305; De
Banco R. 154, m. 46 d. Adam son of
Richard de Shuttleworth in 1321 gave
Woodhey to William Witte; Standish D.
(Mrs. Tempest's abstract), no. 33. Adam
de Shuttleworth in 1342 made a grant
to Margery daughter of Agnes, &c.; ibid.
no. 58. In 1347 Adam de Shuttleworth
appears to have made a disposition of his
estate. His son Robert, who had married
Ellen, and younger sons John, Richard
and Roger are named; Kuerden fol. MS.
366, R 26, 27. Margaret daughter of
Adam de Shuttleworth in 1350 granted her
lands to Robert son of Edmund de Standish; Standish D. (Local Glean.), no. 36, 37.
||The surname, as will be seen from
other notes, occurs from time to time.
In 1540 Alexander Catterall made a
settlement of an estate of eight messuages,
120 acres of land, &c., in Shevington,
Wigan, Ince and Aspull, with remainders
to Peter Catterall of Buckesbury and
to Lawrence Catterall of Shevington;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 12, m. 43.
Peter Catterall died in 1583 holding
the same estate, and leaving a son and
heir Roger, thirty-three years of age; the
lands in Shevington were held of Edward
Standish of Standish by a rent of 12d.;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 70.
Some land may have been sold, for in
1622 Henry Whittle, clerk, held lands in
Shevington lately the property of Peter
Catterall; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), iii, 305. Peter Catterall, however, contributed to the subsidy
of 1628 and in 1631 paid £10 on refusing
knighthood; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 168, 214. He or another Peter
was a member of the Presbyterian classis
in 1646; Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1868), i, 227.
A pedigree was recorded in 1664; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 71.
||Robert de Worthington, Emma his
wife and Hugh de Ince were concerned
in a deed relating to the Ridges in
Shevington in 1377; Standish D. (Mrs.
Tempest's abstract), no. 94.
Sir Nicholas de Harrington in 1399–
1400 granted Hugh de Standish the wardship of the land in Shevington which had
belonged to Robert de Worthington and
Eva (?) his wife; also the marriage of their
heir; Kuerden MSS. vi, fol. 97, no. 96.
Nicholas Worthington held six messuages, lands, &c., in Shevington, Langtree
and Appley in 1557; Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 17, m. 5. Elizabeth, widow of
a preceding Nicholas, was in 1565 charged
with waste of the property she held in
dower of the inheritance of Nicholas
son of Alexander Worthington; Pal. of
Lanc. Plea R. 204, m. 13; 218, m. 13 d.
A pedigree is printed in the Chetham
Society's edition of Dugdale's Visit.
p. 343; see also Piccope MS. Pedigrees
(Chet. Lib.), ii, 316. Nicholas Worthington left a daughter and heir Margaret,
who married (1) Edward Chisnall of
Chisnall and (2) William Hoghton of
Park Hall; Dugdale, Visit. 78.
A settlement of the 'manor' of
Shevington was in 1634 made by Edward
Chisnall and Margaret his wife; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 122, no. 20.
||Shevington occurs in the list of
estates in 1292; Plac. de Quo Warr.
(Rec. Com.), 375. About 1540 the
tenants were: Ralph Standish for Claybutts, paying 3d.; Sir Robert Hesketh
and Thomas Standish for the messuages
of Rigby and Catterall, 12d.; Thomas
Standish for Park Brook, 6d.; Kuerden
MSS. v, fol. 83b.
The Hospitallers' lands were in 1546
granted to Lawrence Rawstorne; Pat.
37 Hen. VIII, pt. v; Ducatus Lanc.
(Rec. Com.), i, 259.
Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
516, 517. Roger son of Henry gave
lands the bounds of which began at
Dodith Oak, marked with a cross, and
went by Sporewirt syke to the cross on
the boundary of the Hospitallers' land,
and then along the top of Flathe Hill.
||Ibid. iii, 1260, 1261. John Woodward held it at a rent of 6d. in 1451 and
1461, Ralph Woodward in 1501 and
Hugh Woodward in 1537.
||Alexander Woodward in 1556 made
a settlement of his lands in Shevington
and Lathom; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 16, m. 155. He died in 1613 holding messuages and lands in Shevington
and Lathom, those in the former place
being held of Richard Shireburne and
Edward Rigby, as of their lordship of
Leylandshire, by a rent of 12d. Ralph,
the son and heir, was over fifty years of
age; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 261. Ralph Woodward
died ten years afterwards holding the
same estate and leaving as heir his son
Alexander, of full age; ibid. iii, 347.
Alexander took the king's part in the
Civil War, and was present at the siege
of Manchester. He made peace with the
Parliament by taking the National Covenant and paying a fine of £44; Cal.
Com. for Comp. ii, 1211.
A pedigree was recorded in 1665;
Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 336.
||Richard son of Sprateling de Shevington gave land adjoining the Cockersand
lands to God and B. Nicholas of Burscough; Flaithel and Blakefield are named
in the deed, while in the margin the
transcriber has written 'land of William
Bimson.' Land granted by a second
charter of the same benefactor and by a
charter of Hugh son of Adam de Shevington
was later held by Robert son of Edmund
de Standish, ancestor of the Standishes of
Arley. See Burscough Reg. fol. 48b.
A settlement by William Bimson and
Alice his wife in 1423–4 is in Kuerden
MSS. iii, E 4, no. 26; his children were
Alexander, William, John, Joan, Katherine, Maud and Beatrice, and he had a
In 1601 John Wrightington demised
land in Shevington occupied by Roger
Bimson to John Bimson and Frances his
wife; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 267. See
also Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 307;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 20, m. 57.
||In 1536 James Standish was paying
a rent of 3s. for the late priory's land called
Maycrarth or Swinehurst, and Lawrence
Bimson paid 8d.; Duchy of Lanc. Rentals
and Surv. bdle. 4, no. 6a, 6b.
||Examples will be found in preceding
||Lands in Shevington were included
in a purchase made by William Ashhurst
in 1611; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 305, m. 6.
They are named in Ashhurst fines of
1630 and 1706; ibid. Feet of F. bdle.
115, no. 3; 256, m. 3.
||John Bold acquired lands in Shevington in 1558 from Sir Thomas Hesketh,
and sold them to Sir George Stanley in
1562, and Sir George in 1564 purchased a water-mill, &c., from Richard
Gillibrand and Katherine his wife; ibid.
bdles. 20, m. 109; 24, m. 275; 26, m. 30.
||See Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 128, m. 8.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xv, no.
38; the tenure is not described.
||Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 130, no. 126.
||Ibid. bdle. 131, no. 210.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
i, 244, 245.
Cal. Com. for Comp. v, 3212.
||Land tax returns at Preston.
||In the hall is preserved an oak table
18 ft. long by 3 ft. in width, standing on
eight turned legs. On one of the legs
are the date 163– (the last figure being
broken off) and the initials T. C., and on
another is carved,
TO THIS HOVS
Lond. Gaz. 17 Jan. 1873.