||1,599, including 58 of inland water;
Census Rep. 1901.
||Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 29.
||Ibid. 270. Thomas Banastre occurs
in pleas of 1292 and 1308–9; Assize
R. 408, m. 44 d.; 423, m. 3. Margaret
daughter of Thomas Banastre in 1327
claimed a messuage, &c., against Richard
son of Ralph de Heath Charnock; De
Banco R. 268, m. 34. Margaret widow
of Adam Banastre was defendant in
1329; Assize R. 427, m. 3 d.
||Inq. p.m. 36 Edw. III, pt. i, no. 99;
he held in right of his wife Katherine.
There was a water-mill paying 13s. 4d.
rent, and the free tenants and tenants at
will paid £7 4s.
John son of John de Harrington in
1332 called Adam son of William
Banastre to warrant him; De Banco R.
292, m. 253. In a claim made by
Richard de Standish of Duxbury in 1352
Sir John de Harrington (now 'the elder')
and Katherine his wife answered that
they held the messuage and land in
dispute through Adam Banastre; Duchy
of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. 3 d.
Sir Nicholas Harrington son of John
and Katherine and his parceners held the
third part of a knight's fee in Charnock
Gogard and Adlington in 1378; Harl.
MS. 2085, fol. 123.
Lord Ferrers of Groby and Thomas de
Harrington held the same third part of
a fee in Charnock and Adlington in
1445–6, each paying an equal relief, viz.
16s. 8d.; Duchy of Lanc. Knights'
Fees, bdle. 20, no. 20. From this and
later inquisitions it appears that Lord
Ferrers, who was one of the lords of
Leylandshire, held part of Heath Charnock separately.
Heath Charnock was reckoned among
the members of Hornby in 1450–1,
when it was held by Margaret wife of
Sir William Harrington; Dods. MSS.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no.
64; xi, no. 1. Heath Charnock, Shevington, &c., were reckoned as parcels of
the castle and manor of Hornby forfeited
by Sir James Harrington for high treason
Heath Charnock occurs in a list of
the Harrington of Farleton manors in
1572; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 34,
m. 76, 80.
||Ibid. bdle. 36, m. 131. The sale
included the manor of Heath Charnock,
three water-mills, three dovecotes, twenty
messuages, &c., 300 acres of land, with
meadow, pasture, wood, furze and heath,
moor and turbary.
||Ibid. bdle. 39, m. 65.
||For Standish settlements see ibid.
bdle. 104, no. 10; 155, m. 165; and for
Charnock, ibid. bdle. 76, no. 22; 121,
no. 46. See also Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 38 (Robert
Charnock holding half the manor of the
king by the twentieth part of a knight's
fee); iii, 397 (Alexander Standish holding
the manor of the king by services unknown).
It may be noticed that the Standishes
of Duxbury had an interest in Heath
Charnock from an early time, for William
son of Hugh de Standish appears as
plaintiff in 1333; De Banco R. 294, m.
156. The claim was prosecuted later, as
appears by a foregoing note.
||See Pal. of 1 anc. Feet of F. bdles.
244, m. 50 (1700); 306, m. 77 (1730);
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 608, m. 7 (1768).
||In a fine in 1657 the moiety of the
manor, with lands, &c., in Heath
Charnock, Knowley and Chorley, the
deforciants were Richard Standish,
Elizabeth his wife, Robert Charnock and
Mary his wife, while the plaintiffs were
Edward May and Gilbert Standish, probably trustees for the first named;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 160, m.
||The name is spelt Gogard, Godard
and even Gerard or Gerald. Randle
Gogard gave to Cockersand Abbey, for
the health of the souls of his mother and
his wife Edith, the land between Fulford
and the path over Rascahay Brook, as
marked out by the canons' crosses;
Cockersand Cbartul. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
Robert Gogard occurs in 1203; Curia
Regis R. 32.
Hugh Gogard was in 1246 one of the
tenants of William de Ferrers Earl of
Derby, who called upon him to acquit
them of the services demanded by the
guardians of the lands of the Earl of
Lincoln (as lord of Penwortham); Assize
R. 404, m. 14 d. In the same year he
acted in a settlement of 2 oxgangs of land
in Dutton; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 97. In 1269–70 he owed
Master Simon de Preston 18 marks;
Close, 91, m. 8 d. Maud widow of
Ralph Gogard, John Gogard and Richard
son of Ralph Gogard in 1277 claimed
common of pasture in Charnock against
Hugh Gogard and others; Assize R.
1235, m. 11. Hugh replied that he was
chief lord of Charnock, and had improved
part of the waste; ibid. 1238, m. 32, 32 d.
About the same time Roger son of John
the Porter claimed the sixth part of
2½ oxgangs of land in Heath Charnock
against Hugh Gogard; De Banco R. 21,
Eva widow of Hugh Gogard in 1282
claimed dower in Heath Charnock against
William son of Hugh, Augustus Pierpoint, Adam de Street, Richard son of
Adam de Charnock, William de Sydale,
Adam de Asshaw and others; De Banco
R. 44, m. 32 d.
Another member of the Gogard family
was John son of Ailsi Gogard, who
occurs a number of times in the records.
To Henry de Lea he gave all his land in
Methehop in Heath Charnock, viz. the
part he had retained when he enfeoffed his
sister Gena of the rest; Add. MS. 32106,
no. 634. William son of John Ailsison
was plaintiff in 1294 against Jordan son
of Margaret de Charnock Gogard, and
two years later against Adam de Hull and
Richard son of William son of Hugh
Gogard, respecting lands in the township;
De Banco R. 106, m. 193; 114, m. 86.
He was also plaintiff in 1301; Assize
R. 1321, m. 13; 418, m. 11. He may
be the William son of John de Heath
Charnock a minor in 1292 (Assize R.
408, m. 16, 13 d.), but Ralph son of John
Ailsison in 1308–9 claimed land from
William son of John de Heath Charnock;
it appeared that William had enfeoffed
Ralph while under age, and afterwards had
granted the land to Thomas Banastre;
Assize R. 423, m. 3.
Richard Ailsi seems to have been
another son of John; Assize R. 1425,
m. 3 d.; 1435, m. 39 d. In 1345, as
brother and heir of William son of John,
he claimed a messuage and the third part
of the mill against the Harringtons; De
Banco R. 344, m. 390 d.
Agnes daughter of Hugh Gogard made
a grant of her lands; Towneley MS.
GG, no. 1823. In 1303 she claimed
various third parts of messuages, &c.,
against Richard de Asshaw, Jordan son of
Adam de Asshaw and others; De Banco
R. 145, m. 58.
||The earliest form of the surname to
occur is Ashoke (1278), Ascough (1284),
Asschowe and Assehoghe (1292).
Henry de Asshaw was one of the defendants in the suits above mentioned by
Maud widow of Ralph Gogard; Assize R.
1238, m. 32 d. Adam son of Henry de
Asshaw in 1284 was charged with depriving Adam del Street of common of
pasture in Charnock Gogard, but replied
that Hugh Gogard, formerly chief lord,
had inclosed the land; Assize R. 1265,
m. 22 d. The same Adam was living in
1301; Assize R. 1321, m. 9.
In 1292 Adam son of Adam de
Asshaw and Cecily his wife, daughter and
heir of Robert son and heir of Hugh
Gogard, were plaintiffs in several suits.
Against Williamson of Hugh Gogard and
Margery his wife they claimed a messuage
and land and two parts of the mill,
William replying that he held the lands
by grant of his father and that the mill
was held by Thomas Banastre and John
Gogard; Assize R. 408, m. 25 d. From
other claims against the same William,
Thomas Banastre, Richard son of John
Gogard and others it appears that Eve
widow of Hugh Gogard was still living;
ibid. m. 35 d., 71 d. Another claim was
for land once held by Cecily's uncle Ralph,
who had died before his father Hugh; the
tenant, Ralph son of Juliana de Heath
Charnock, gave half a mark for licence to
agree; ibid. m. 11 d. See the fine allowing Ralph's right in Final Conc. i, 176.
John de Heath Charnock was nonsuited in his plea against Adam de Asshaw
for obstructing a way; Assize R. 408,
m. 51 d. Also in another claim for
common of pasture against Thomas
Banastre and Adam de Asshaw; ibid.
m. 44 d.
||William was the tenant in 1288, as
above stated. His right is also shown
by the suits referred to in the preceding
note. At the same time Roger Gogard,
a minor, claimed a messuage and ploughland in Heath Charnock against William
Gogard, as heir to John Gogard, his grandfather. The jury reported that John had
fled the county for fear of arrest on
account of highway robberies and other
felonies, and that he had at length been
taken and hanged at Nottingham, his
lands being forfeit; Assize R. 408, m.
Ralph son of William Gogard in 1328
and later years was engaged in a number of suits respecting his inheritance.
Against John son of John de Harrington
and Katherine his wife he claimed 12
acres of land, 6 acres of meadow, 18 acres
of wood, &c., and smaller parcels against
Richard son of David Pierpoint, William
son of Robert del Street, William son of
Hugh de Standish and Alice widow of
William Ailsison. In defence the Harringtons called Adam son of William
Banastre to warrant them; Pierpoint
said his father's widow Denise held 2
acres; Street called Adam son of Richard
del Street to warrant him; Standish said
he did not hold; and Alice held for life
of the inheritance of Margaret daughter
of Thomas Banastre. See De Banco
R. 276, m. 42; 281, m. 142 d.; 284,
m. 330 d.
A century later it was stated that
Ralph had a daughter Alice who died
without issue; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 3,
Richard son of William Gogard was
joined with his father in 1301 as defendant to a claim made by Anabil daughter
of William de la Ley, a minor, respecting
a tenement in Heath Charnock; Assize
R. 1321, m. 8.
||This gift is cited in a plea of 1441.
Richard son of William son of Hugh
Gogard gave 2 acres of land and 6 acres of
wood (then in dispute) to Henry de
Asshaw and his heirs. Henry had issue
John, who had issue Hugh, who had issue
Robert, who had issue Roger, living
in 1441; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 3, m.
||Three generations appear in preceding notes: Henry -s. Adam -s. Adam.
The younger Adam was dead in 1330
when his widow Cecily was a plaintiff in
one suit and Richard son of Adam de
Asshaw defendant in another; De Banco
R. 279, m. 273 d., 299 d. Adam son of
Adam de Asshaw was the owner of land
in Heath Charnock successfully claimed
in 1334 by Ralph son of Henry Wynant;
Coram Rege R. 297, m. 94.
William son of Adam de Asshaw received lands in Rivington in 1334 from
Robert de Asshaw, clerk, his uncle;
Towneley MS. GG (Add. MS. 32107),
no. 1835, 1903.
Henry de Asshaw was another son.
In 1340 Ralph son of William Gogard
claimed two-thirds of messuages, &c., in
Heath Charnock as his inheritance against
Henry son of Adam de Asshaw; De
Banco R. 323, m. 32 d. To Henry's son
John Sir Nicholas de Harrington granted
land in Heath Charnock, including lands
called Jordansworth, Denebutts, Dawridding next the manor del Rigges, and
in the marsh next Doweshaw, which
descended, as previously stated, to Roger
Asshaw in 1441; Plea R. ut sup.
Lawrence Asshaw was the subject of a
complaint in 1469; Cal. Pat. 1467–77,
pp. 141, 142. He and Joan his wife in
1493 complained of trespass by Robert
Adlington, Hugh his son and others;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R 76, m. 6. In
1504 he, as Lawrence Asshaw the elder,
made an agreement with Robert Pilkington of Rivington as to a marriage
between the latter's son and heir Richard
with Lawrence's daughter Alice. Roger
son and heir of Lawrence is named in
the deed; Towneley MS. GG, no.
In 1512 Lawrence Asshaw the elder,
Roger his son and heir-apparent and
Lawrence the younger, another son,
occur in a bond; Add. MS. 32105, no.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. viii, no.
11. The lands held of Lord Mounteagle
may have been those granted by Sir N.
Joan widow of Roger and one of the
granddaughters and heirs of Sir James
Harrington made a settlement in 1552
regulating the succession of her three
sons, Thomas, Leonard and Anthony;
Add. MS. 32105, fol. 213.
||In the Visitations as printed by the
Chetham Society the pedigrees will be
found: 1533, p. 188; 1567, p. 73;
1613, p. 6. On the last pedigree are
two charters of 1552 and 1555.
A complaint by Thomas Asshaw in
1552 that his wife's marriage portion
had not been paid is printed in Duchy
Plead. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iii,
Thomas Asshaw in 1547 purchased
some messuages and lands from Lord
Mounteagle and others in 1564 from the
Earl of Derby; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdles. 13, m. 230; 26, m. 152.
He made a settlement of his estate in
1578; ibid. bdle. 40, m. 185.
||The whole of the Asshaw estate
seems to be included in the inquisition
p.m. of Sir John Radcliffe of Ordsall,
who died in 1627, though Hall of the
Hill is not mentioned by name; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxv, no. 6.
A settlement of part of the Asshaw
estate had been made in 1581 by Sir John
Radcliffe and Anne his wife (parents of
the last-named Sir John); Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 43, m. 114. Further
feoffments were made in 1623, probably
in connexion with mortgages; ibid. bdles.
102, no. 62; 104, no. 51.
A number of disputes as to this property in the time of Elizabeth are calendared in Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), iii,
73, 132, &c.
||Peter Egerton of Shaw, representative of the Flixton Asshaws, seems to
have had some interest in the Charnock
estate. William Radley, the owner,
petitioned in 1652 for a copy of the
charge against him, on account of which
his property had been sequestered as a
'delinquent,' and Peter Egerton was
joined with him. The county committee
regarded the information as malicious;
Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 2945.
Exch. Dep. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), p. 84; a petition by Mary Ainscough widow and administratrix of Thomas
Ainscough, clerk, and Radley Ainscough,
an infant, their son, against Thomas
Willis in 1694.
Daniel Willis and Anne his wife in
1732 made a settlement of their estate
in Heath Charnock, Duxbury, &c.; Pal.
of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 310, m. 85.
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1836), iii, 521.
||It has been conjectured locally that
the house was constructed with stones
taken from the old hall of Duxbury.
||Except one to a passage which appears
to be a later insertion.
||There are no traces above ground.
Excavations on the site would probably
expose the old foundations.
||This place is named in the list of
the Hospitallers' lands in 1292; Plac. de
Quo Warr. (Rec. Com.), 375.
||Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 83b; each of
the tenants paid 12d. rent.
Of one Wigan family some details are
known. In 1365 William de Hauschagh
granted Richard son of Adam de Wigan
and William his brother a moiety of all his
lands, &c., in Heath Charnock; Towneley
MS. GG, no. 1798, 1884. In 1370
Richard and William de Wigan made an
exchange of certain of their lands between
the Ridge legh and the water of Yarrow
in Heath Charnock; ibid. no. 1876–7.
Cecily widow of Richard de Wigan and
William his son received lands from the
trustee in 1388; ibid. no. 1892. William
de Wigan made a settlement of lands in
Heath Charnock in 1426 on the marriage
of his son Richard with Beatrice daughter
of Richard del Shire; ibid. no. 1848, 1851.
Richard Wigan the elder in 1482 made a
feoffment of his lands; and they were
regranted to him with remainders to his
son Richard Wigan the younger and to
other children; ibid. no. 1846, 2046.
James son and heir of Richard Wigan in
1517 gave Ralph Arrowsmith his messuage, &c., called Ridlegh; ibid. no. 1887,
1893. Soon afterwards, in 1527, Margaret widow of James Wigan released to
Richard Pilkington of Rivington all her
right in lands formerly belonging to her
husband; ibid. no. 1676. Ralph Arrowsmith had sold to Pilkington in 1520;
ibid. no. 1674.
The Crosse family had some land in
Heath Charnock as early as 1428;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 2636–7. Roger
Crosse of Liverpool in 1522 held a messuage, &c., of St. John of Jerusalem by a
rent of 12d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
vi, 18. It was sold to Geoffrey Yate in
1580 by John Crosse and Alice his wife;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 42, m.
||Robert de la Street occurs in 1272
and Adam de la Street in 1278; Curia
Regis R. 207, m. 8 d.; Assize R. 1238,
m. 32 d. John son of Adam de la Street
of Heath Charnock claimed common of
pasture in 1301 and 1302 against Adam
son of Henry de Asshaw, but did not
prosecute it; Assize R. 1321, m. 9; 418,
m. 12 d. In 1331 Ralph son of William
Gogard made a claim against William son
of Richard del Street, who called Adam
son of Richard del Street to warrant him,
Adam in turn calling upon William del
Street; De Banco R. 287, m. 332 d. An
Adam son of Robert del Street was
defendant in the previous year; ibid.
279, m. 273 d. Cecily widow of Adam
son of Adam de Asshaw in 1331 granted
her right in Reddeccarr to Adam son of
Robert del Street; Towneley MS. GG,
John son of John del Street in 1356
made a claim, which he did not prosecute,
against Robert Huggeson Hulcockson
and Margery his wife; Duchy of Lanc.
Assize R. 5, m. 20 d. In 1513 was
issued a precipe to Edward Street to
render to Robert Chetham and Ellen his
wife messuages and lands in Heath Charnock and Rivington, Ellen being daughter
of Thurstan son of Robert son of John
son of John de Street, to whom the lands
had been granted in former times. John,
it was stated, had a son and heir Henry,
whose son and heir was Richard; Pal.
of Lanc. Writs Proton. file 4 Hen.
Robert son of William del Street in
1375 gave the Milne croft in Charnock to
Henry de Asshaw at a rent of 40s.;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 1803.
From the above it will be seen that
there were several families of the name
holding lands in the township.
||One Richard Street, described as
bastard, had a son Thurstan who married
Ellen daughter of Robert Unton. He
had a legitimate son Alexander, whose
daughter and heir Margaret married a
Ralph Standish and had a son Richard,
who about 1510 began to claim Thurstan's lands; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton.
file 1 Hen. VIII. Thurstan, who died
before 1477, had a bastard son Edward,
to whom he gave at least a part of the
inheritance, and who had possession for
over forty years, being succeeded by his
son Alexander. Alexander left issue
several daughters—Isabel, Jane, Anne,
Alice and Margaret—the eldest of whom
was in 1534 only thirteen years of age.
It was at this time that Richard Standish,
no doubt the next rector of Standish,
seized the opportunity, while all the
grown-up members of the household were
at church on All Saints' Day, of taking
possession of the house and the children.
For the aggressors it was alleged that the
deed of grant to Edward Street was 'sealed
with a dead man's hand,' but this seems
to have been untrue. See the depositions
in Duchy Plead. ii, 60–9.
The decision was adverse to Richard
Standish, but his nephew Richard Hasteley (son of Lora Standish) in 1559 again
put forward the claim. At that time the
daughters of Alexander Street were thus
married—Jane to Lawrence Waddington,
Anne to Richard Dickinson and Alice to
Oliver Feilden; Duchy of Lanc. Plead.
Eliz. xlii, H 9.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), iii, 339. Though Alexander
is named as son and heir it appears from
the father's will that Lawrence was the
elder son and Lawrence died in Dec. 1623
holding the estate, leaving as heir his
brother Alexander; Towneley MS. C 8,
13 (Chet. Lib.), p. 1308.
||It was reported in 1445 that William
Shaw of Heath Charnock, having been
retained in the king's retinue for service
in France, had absconded at Portsmouth;
Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 7, m. 18b.
In 1484 William Shaw of Heath
Charnock and John his son and heir
were summoned as debtors; Pal. of Lanc.
Writs Proton. file 1 & 2 Ric. III. John
Shaw of Heath Charnock became bound
to Robert Pilkington in 1488; Towneley
MS. GG, no. 1771. James Shaw in
1519 assigned lands in Heath Charnock
on his son John's marriage with Katherine
daughter of Richard Pilkington; James's
mother Elizabeth, widow of John Shaw,
was then living; ibid. no. 2016, 2061,
Thomas Shaw in 1587 came to an
agreement with the Pilkingtons as to
Tonghurst in Rivington. Robert Shaw
of Heath Charnock in 1613–14 sold
land in Rivington to Robert Lever and
Thomas Breres; from the Rivington
||A pedigree recorded in 1664 shows
them to have been of the same family as
Shaw of High Bullough in Anglezarke;
Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 261. This gives
the succession as—James -s. John -s.
Thomas -s. Robert -s. Thomas -dr.
Anne (without issue). The heir was
Peter son of Leonard son of John Shaw,
and Peter's son in 1664 was named
Peter and twenty-eight years of age.
The younger Peter in 1694 and 1699,
in conjunction with Thomas his son and
heir, made various mortgages and sales;
Hugh Lord Willoughby of Parham
seems to have acquired Shaw Place. His
nephew Charles Lord Willoughby, who
died in 1715, had a son and daughters
named Helena (who married Baxter
Roscoe) and Elizabeth (who married John
Shaw of Rivington). His son Hugh
resided at Shaw Place; see Local Glean.
Lancs. and Ches. ii, 25, 37. Esther, the
widow and executrix of Charles Lord
Willoughby of Parham, married James
Walton, who was described as 'of Shaw
Place' in 1730; Rivington deeds.
In 1765, after the death of the abovenamed Hugh Lord Willoughby, the estate
in Heath Charnock was sold to Holt
Leigh by Baxter Roscoe, Helena his wife
and Elizabeth Shaw, widow; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 373, m. 122.
See further in G.E.C. Complete Peerage,
viii, 156–8; Genealogist (old ser.), iv,
||They held a small piece of land of
Lord Mounteagle; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. vii, no. 17; viii, no. 21. In 1610,
however, it was said to be held of
the lords of Leylandshire; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i,
||The purchase from the Wigan family
has been detailed above.
Richard Pilkington in 1524 acquired
lands called Healeycliff and Whitecarr,
held by John Croston and others of the
inheritances respectively of James Standish of Duxbury and Lord Mounteagle;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 1685.
Robert Pilkington in 1610 held his
land in Heath Charnock of Robert Charnock and Alexander Standish; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 151.
It was sold with the Rivington estate in
1611 to Robert Lever and Thomas Breres;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 79, m. 7.
Robert Lever in 1620 was found to have
held lands there as before; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Rec. Soc.), ii, 257.
||Richard 'de' Pierpoint the elder
was a defendant in 1301; Assize R. 1321,
m. 13. Richard 'le' Pierpoint contributed to the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay
Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 44.
||John del Slack paid to the subsidy of
1332. In 1445 the estate had come to
a number of co-heiresses. Robert Heaton,
Joan his wife, William Cartwright, Alice
his wife, John Dobson, Agnes his wife,
Cecily Slack, Joan Mather, Katherine
Sheppard and Alexander Langton,
chaplain, claimed from Ellen Taylor and
John Slack a messuage and lands in
Heath Charnock granted by John Slack
to his son John and his heirs by Ellen
daughter of Adam de Gamersley of
Rivington. John and Ellen had a son
John (temp. Ric. II), whose son was John,
whose son was Thomas, who died without issue, his sisters being his heirsJoan, Alice, Agnes, Cecily, Ellen (represented by her daughters Joan Mather,
Katherine Sheppard) and Margaret
(represented by her son Alexander Langton); Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 8, m. 16;
12, m. 16.
||James son of Robert Bulhalgh of
Heath Charnock and James son of
Richard Bulhalgh of Anglezarke were
debtors in 1477; Pal. of Lanc. Writs
Proton. file 17 Edw. IV. James Bulhalgh (or Bullough) of Charnock Gogard
in 1493 granted all his lands in the township to his daughter Joan; Towneley MS.
GG, no. 1853.
||Roger Broadhurst in 1584 purchased
land from Nicholas Lancaster; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 46, m. 32. John
Broadhurst was a juror in 1611 and later;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 178.
||Sir Richard Molyneux of Sefton had
some land in 1623, but the tenure was
unknown; ibid. iii, 383.
John Singleton in 1530 held land of
Lord Mounteagle; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. vi, no. 32. Richard Haydock seems
to have purchased this; Ducatus Lanc.
William Lancelyn in 1526 held land of
the heir of Lord Ferrers; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. vi, no. 23.
Richard Chisnall in 1587 held of
Thomas Standish and Robert Charnock
by the rent of a peppercorn yearly; ibid.
xiv, no. 39.
Reginald Allanson in 1598 held a
messuage, &c., but the tenure is not
stated; ibid. xvii, no. 10. George Allanson was a defendant in 1526; Ducatus
Lanc. i, 130. Roger Allanson had had
lands in the township in 1569; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 31, m. 174.
John Rutter in 1540 held lands in
Heath Charnock, Rivington and Standish,
which appear to have been purchased in
1562 by Geoffrey Walkden; ibid. bdle.
12, m. 34; 24, m. 132. A settlement
was made by Geoffrey and Thomas
Walkden in 1576; ibid. bdle. 38, m. 122.
Christopher Anderton in 1577 purchased a messuage, &c., in Charnock and
Adlington from Alexander Osbaldeston;
ibid. bdle. 39, m. 19. This may have
been the land in Heath Charnock held in
1353–6 by Molyneux of Cuerdale; Final
Conc. ii, 135, 148.
||Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 131, no.
||Ibid. bdle. 131, no. 210.
Cal. Com. for Comp. iii, 2086.
Croston's tenement was held of Richard
Standish; Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 98. For Halsworth, ibid. iii, 148. Nighgall held of
Ralph Standish; ibid. iv, 218.
||Land tax returns at Preston.