Townships
Wiswell

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Pages

396-399

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Wiswell', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 396-399. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53140 Date accessed: 22 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

WISWELL

Wisewell, 1207; Wysewale, 1292.

This township occupies both slopes of a ridge from 1,000 to 600 ft. high which shoots out from Pendle south-west towards Whalley. Fine views over Ribblesdale may be had from it. The south-eastern slope, extending down to Sabden Brook, contains Wiswell Moorhouses, once a hamlet of several cottages now pulled down; the north-western slope has on it the village of Wiswell with Wiswell Eaves to the northeast and Barrow to the north-west. The township contains 1,693 acres, (fn. 1) and in 1901 had a population of 627.

The principal road is that near the western border, from Whalley to Clitheroe, through Barrow. A minor road from Whalley passes through Wiswell village and goes on to Pendleton and Chatburn. Near Sabden Brook another road from Whalley goes north-east to Sabden. The railway from Blackburn to Hellifield crosses the extreme western corner, but there is no station.

Near the highest point of the ridge above mentioned is a stone called Jeppe Knave Grave. (fn. 2) A tumulus stands at Harlow near by.

There is a parish council. A large part of the township was taken into Sabden in 1904.

There are calico printing works at Barrow. The land is used for pasture; the soil is clay. There is a quarry.

Wiswell Shay cross has an ancient pedestal, the cross itself being modern. (fn. 3)

Manors Wiswell

From a confirming charter of the end of the 12th century it is known that the lords of Clitheroe had granted with Hapton and Osbaldeston to the ancestor of William de Arches, (fn. 4) whose widow Albrey de Tilly in 1207 claimed dower in two plough-lands there against Henry de Blackburn. (fn. 5) In 1242 Adam de Blackburn and Reyner de Arches held Wiswell and Hapton by the service of the fourth part of a knight's fee, (fn. 6) these manors being included in the dower of the Countess of Lincoln. (fn. 7) In 1311 the two ploughlands were said to be held of Henry de Lacy by the fourth part of a knight's fee, a rent of 16d., and doing suit to the court of Clitheroe. (fn. 8)

William de Arches had granted the two ploughlands in Wiswell to Henry de Blackburn, one ploughland being in demesne and the other in service; also an oxgang of land in Wolvetscholes. Henry was to render to William the service due from the fourth part of a knight's fee, i.e. he was to discharge the knight's service due for both Wiswell and Hapton. (fn. 9) The next possessor of the lordship of the manor is the above-named Adam de Blackburn (1242), who may have been son or grandson of Henry. His daughter was perhaps the Beatrice who married Richard son of John de Pontchardon, and had lands in Wiswell and elsewhere. (fn. 10) The lordship of the manor passed to John de Blackburn, (fn. 11) whose son Adam was in possession in 1278, when he complained that Beatrice and others had disseised him of common of pasture in Wiswell, by the raising of two cottages, though she had no share of the vill. The jury decided in her favour, stating that she had raised them on her own soil, it being the custom of the country that each neighbour might make such cottages on his arable land adjacent to his messuage or village. (fn. 12) Adam acquired some minor holdings in the township (fn. 13) and died before 1292, when his son John was in possession, though his widow Alice, who had married Adam de Pemberton, had the third part of the manor as her dower. (fn. 14)

John married Margaret sister of Sir Robert de Holland and by her left three daughters who became co-heirs of his manors; they were Alice wife of Robert de Shireburne, Agnes wife of Sir Henry de Lea and then of Robert de Horncliff, and Joan wife of Thomas (or Robert) de Arderne, and then of William Touchet. (fn. 15) Agnes in 1337 transferred her part of the manor to the Shireburnes, (fn. 16) who thus became possessed of two-thirds, (fn. 17) though in the inquisitions they are stated to have had a moiety only (fn. 18) ; and Thomas de Arderne the son of Joan in 1339 gave his third part to the abbey of Whalley. (fn. 19) Hence in 1361 the Abbot of Whalley, Richard de Shireburne and Gilbert de la Legh held of the duke the fourth part of a knight's fee in Wiswell and Hapton. (fn. 20) After the suppression of the abbey its third part was sold by the Crown in 1584 to various persons, (fn. 21) and their right was in 1610 transferred to Richard Shireburne, (fn. 22) who held the remainder by inheritance. Another estate called the third part of the manor was held by the Watson and Crombock families in succession. (fn. 23) From its tenure it must have been part of the abbey's estate, (fn. 24) and it appears to have been sold by Richard Crombock (or his trustees) to Sir Nicholas Shireburne in 1709. (fn. 25) The whole manor was thus reunited, and descended in the same way as Stonyhurst to the Welds. (fn. 26) By Thomas Weld it was sold in 1830 to Robert Whalley of Clerk Hill. (fn. 27)

The free chase of Wiswell was included in the grant to Whalley by Sir Thomas de Arderne. (fn. 28)

A perambulation of the bounds between Wiswell and Pendleton was made in 1342. (fn. 29)

On the division of the wastes of Pendleton and Wiswell in 1619 an allowance of 50 acres was made to Richard Shireburne out of favour to him and the commoners of Wiswell, because of long usage. (fn. 30) An inclosure award for Wiswell was made in 1790. (fn. 31)

A number of the minor tenements can be traced. Swain son of Leofwine gave an oxgang of land to Henry son of Swain de Wiswell—i.e. to his son, (fn. 32) and Henry gave the same to Henry de Clayton. (fn. 33) Henry son of Henry de Clayton had 6 oxgangs of land in Wiswell. (fn. 34) Families named Wiswell, (fn. 35) Blackburn (fn. 36) and Banastre (fn. 37) appear later. James Marshall died in 1483 holding lands in Wiswell, apparently in right of Grace his wife, of the king as duke by knight's service. (fn. 38) Thomas Hesketh acquired the same in 1505, (fn. 39) but Sir Thomas Hesketh and Alice his wife sold in 1555 to Anthony Watson and Thurstan Mawdsley. (fn. 40) Walmesley of Coldcoats (fn. 41) and Banastre of Altham (fn. 42) also had lands in Wiswell.

One of the most noteworthy families connected with the township is that of Paslew, as it is believed the last Abbot of Whalley sprang from it. (fn. 43) Francis Paslew of Wiswell was a Shireburne trustee in 1422 (fn. 44) and occurs again in 1438–9. (fn. 45) A later Francis and his wife Alice gave a window to Whalley Church in 1510. (fn. 46) Thomas Paslew contributed to the subsidy in 1524. (fn. 47) Fifty years later John Paslew claimed a grange in Wiswell against Roger Nowell. (fn. 48) Francis Paslew or Pasley in 1589 obtained a lease of Wiswell Hall from Sir Richard Shireburne, (fn. 49) and purchased it in 1630 (fn. 50) ; in 1631 he compounded for having refused knighthood. (fn. 51) He died in 1641, (fn. 52) and was succeeded by a son John or by John's daughter Alice, who married Richard Townley of Barnside and died without issue in 1644. Her aunt Elizabeth daughter of Francis Paslew and wife of Thurstan Tomlinson of Bailey then obtained Wiswell, and her son John had it in 1666, when he paid the tax for six hearths. (fn. 53) His son Thurstan Tomlinson in 1708 sold it to Sir Nicholas Shireburne. (fn. 54)

Wiswell Hall stood about a mile to the northeast of Whalley on the lower western slope of Pendle Hill. It was described as being in bad repair in 1876, at which time it was used as a farm-house, and was demolished in 1895. It was a stone building with low mullioned windows, bold projecting chimneys, and a porch of two stories on the north side, over the door of which were the date 1636 and the arms and initials of Francis Paslew, the owner. The house, however, appears to have been of earlier date, the porch being an addition in the 17th century when the building underwent great alterations. An account of the house written in 1883 (fn. 55) describes it as being much patched and as having received in the course of years many barbarous and incongruous additions. An old font which used to be preserved in the hall is now in Whalley Church.

In 1626 there were twelve convicted recusants paying to the subsidy, (fn. 56) and under the Commonwealth Cuthbert Lowe (fn. 57) and Edward Parkinson (fn. 58) had their estates sequestered for recusancy. John Alston as a 'Papist' registered his freehold farm in 1717. (fn. 59)

The land tax return of 1788 shows that Thomas Weld and James Whalley were the chief holders. (fn. 60)

For members of the Church of England there is divine service in Wiswell school, the clergy of the parish church maintaining it; also in the mission room at Barrow.

The Congregational chapel at Wiswell was built in 1831, preaching having begun some ten years before by the minister of Wymondhouses, and a Sunday school having been opened. Services were held there till 1879, and the building was afterwards sold. Preaching at Barrow is mentioned about 1827, but regular services began in 1875, and a schoolchapel was built in 1877. It is called Jollie's Memorial Chapel, and may be regarded as representing the older cause at Wymondhouses. (fn. 61)

Footnotes

1 1,692 acres, including 15 of inland water; Census Rep. 1901.
2 Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 32. The name occurs in a record of the boundaries between Wiswell and Pendleton dated 1342, and is there said to be derived from a robber who was beheaded and was buried at that point because the neighbouring vills refused to have him buried within them. In 1608 it was stated that one Robert Lowe had taken a stone from the grave and used it for a cover of his kiln; Duchy of Lanc. Special Com. 802.
3 Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xviii, 21.
4 Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 57 n. The charter confirms privileges of hunting and freedom from tolls in Robert de Lacy's markets and fairs.
5 Cur. Reg. R. 43, m. 11; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 27. Albrey's right being acknowledged she granted her third part to Henry, who was to render yearly a sore sparrow-hawk.
6 Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 150.
7 Ibid. 148 n.
8 Ibid. ii, 4. In 1322, however, the tenure was only half, viz. by the eighth part of a knight's fee; ibid. 134.
9 Shireburne Abstract Bk. (1715) at Leagram.
10 Whalley Couch. (Chet. Soc.), iv, 955–65. She had land in Wiswell, Billington and Blackburn. One of the charters, however, seems to show that she was still unmarried in 1280; ibid. 963.
In 1278 Beatrice de Blackburn complained of various trespasses in Wiswell by Adam de Blackburn; De Banco R. 27, m. 119 d. Two years later it was Richard de Pontchardon who complained that Adam de Blackburn and a number of others had broken into his house at Wiswell and taken goods, including arms, and a horse. The jury acquitted Adam, but gave damages against the brothers Robert, Henry and Richard de Blackburn and others, viz. £10 for the horse killed and £10 for other losses; Cur. Reg. R. 57, m. 2.
11 For descent see Whalley Couch, iv, 1085; also the accounts of Chorley and Clayton-le-Dale.
12 Assize R. 1238, m. 32 d.; 1239, m. 38. In the same year Robert son of Adam de Wiswell and others claimed leave to grind their demesne corn at the mill of Adam son of John de Blackburn without multure; De Banco R. 27, m. 119.
13 William son of Samson gave to Adam de Blackburn an oxgang of land in Wiswell, a rent of 12d. being payable; Shireburne Abstract Bk. This may refer to the earlier Adam. Richard son of Henry de Wiswell released to Adam son of John de Blackburn the rent of 12d. due from an oxgang of land in Wiswell; ibid.
Adam de Blackburn gave to John his son and heir land in Wiswell called Haworthules; ibid.
14 Assize R. 408, m. 69 d.; John complained that Adam and Alice had made waste by throwing two houses down and felling trees. On the other hand, Adam de Pemberton and Alice his wife complained of encroachments, withdrawing on John's assigning them for Alice's life 10 acres on the Newfield and 16 acres on the Halyfield; ibid. m. 25 d. Alice widow of Sir Adam de Blackburn was still living in 1339; Whalley Couch. iv, 1088.
John son of Adam de Blackburn was also engaged in a suit with John son of John de Blackburn; Assize R. 408, m. 44 d., 58. From Robert son of Richard de Wiswell he acquired certain lands by purchase or exchange; Shireburne Abstract Bk. A release of all claim in the manors of Wiswell and Lower Darwen was granted by Gilbert de Rishton to John de Blackburn; ibid.
15 In 1302 Robert de Hephale and Margaret his wife claimed against the Abbot of Whalley the third part of 100 acres, &c., in Wiswell as dower of the gift of Margaret's first husband John de Blackburn; De Banco R. 144, m. 294; 154, m. 126. In 1315 the Abbot of Whalley claimed 160 acres in Wiswell against Robert de Shireburne, Alice his wife, Henry de Lea, Agnes his wife and Thomas de Arderne and Joan his wife; ibid. 212, m. 211. In the following year the claim was pursued against Robert de Shireburne, Alice his wife, William Touchet, Joan his wife and Agnes the sister of Alice and Joan; ibid. 216, m. 382. Joan's former husband is called Robert de Arderne (probably in error) in a later pleading; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2, m. 5 d.
In agreement with the above the two plough-lands in Wiswell were in 1311 said to be held of the lord of Clitheroe by Robert de Shireburne, Sir Henry de Lea and Thomas de Arderne; and in 1322 by Robert de Shireburne, Alice his wife, Agnes de Lea and Thomas de Arderne; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 13, 134.
16 A feoffment was made by Robert de Horncliff and Agnes his wife in 1331, and in 1337 Robert de Shireburne and Alice his wife obtained the third part of the manor, with rents, &c., from Agnes de Horncliff; Final Conc. ii, 80, 102. The manor is named in a deed of 1351 by Alice widow of Sir Robert de Shireburne; Kuerden MSS. iii, A 3, no. 68.
17 There is little to record of the Shireburne occupation. In 1365 the feoffees of Sir Richard de Shireburne gave Wiswell for life to Thomas and Robert del Eves; Kuerden, loc. cit. no. 58. Thomas del Eves of Wiswell is named in 1386–91; Cal. Pat. 1385–9, pp. 156, 285; 1388–92, pp. 449, 460.
In 1391–2 Sir John Boteler and Alice his wife enfeoffed William de Dronsfield and Margaret his wife of the manor; Shireburne Abstract Bk. In 1393 it was settled on the heirs of Margaret; Final Conc. iii, 42. In 1398 William and Margaret granted a lease of it to Thomas Bradley and others; Abstract Bk.
18 Richard Shireburne died in 1441 holding in demesne a moiety of the manor of the king as Earl of Lincoln; Lancs. Rec. Inq. p.m. no. 30, 31; see also Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 52. In 1445–6 the manor was considered to be held in moieties by Robert de Shireburne and the Abbot of Whalley; Duchy of Lancs. Knights' Fees, bdle. 2, no. 20.
In 1513 the estate was said to be held of the king as duke by knight's service, but in 1528 and 1536 it was more definitely recorded that the manor of Wiswell was held of the king as duke by the eighth part of a knight's fee and a rent of 7d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, no. 46; vi, no. 65; viii, no. 33. In 1594 the tenure was called socage; ibid. xvi, no. 3.
19 Whalley Couch. iv, 1086–95. Licence of alienation in mortmain was granted in 1340; Cal. Pat. 1340–3, p. 23. The inquiries relating to it are recorded in Inq. p.m. 14 Edw. III (2nd nos.), no. 31; 17 Edw. III (2nd nos.), no. 48; 40 Edw. III, no. 70. In the first of these the manor was said to be held of Queen Isabel as of the castle and honor of Clitheroe by the fourth part of a knight's fee and 16d. rent; in the second the abbot was said to hold the third part of Queen Isabel by the twentieth part of a knight's fee.
From a pleading already cited it appears that the abbey had already acquired some land in Wiswell. The Arderne tenants in 1339 were John de Altham, John del Clough and Joan his daughter, John de Blackburn, Margery widow of Adam the Miller, Henry Chapman, Adam son of Henry son of Gilbert de Worsthorne, Richard del Bridge of Burnley, Lawrence son of John de la Legh and William de Hallstudes. In 1402 the abbey was allowed to retain Priestland in Wiswell, acquired in 1395–6 from Richard de Blackburn; Cal. Pat. 1401–5, p. 45. At the Suppression in 1537 all the tenants seem to have held at will, the rents amounting to £6 4s. 8d.; Whalley Couch. iv, 1203.
20 Inq. p.m. 35 Edw. III, pt. i, no. 122. In the Lansdowne Feodary, dated about 1349, the tenants of the two plough-lands in Wiswell are recorded as Alice de Shireburne for two-thirds and the Abbot of Whalley one-third; the whole was held for the fourth part of a knight's fee; Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1870), ii, 693.
21 The third part of the manor seems to have been included in the grant of Wiswell Eaves, &c. (Pat. 27 Eliz. pt. vi), for Walter Spendlow and other grantees on 24 Nov. 1584 gave it to Thomas Fleetwood of Penwortham, William Swinglehurst of Harden and John Parker of Stonyhurst; Shireburne Abstract Bk.
22 Ibid.
23 In 1590 the third part of the manor was held by Anthony son and heir of Thomas Watson and John his brother, who transferred to John Seller and William Greenfield; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 52, m. 47. These were perhaps trustees for John Crombock, who died in 1593 holding the third part of the manor, various messuages, &c., of the queen as of her manor of East Greenwich in socage; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 40. His son William, then fifty-six, held similarly in 1601; ibid. xviii, no. 39. So also did his son John Crombock of Snelsoe (or Clerk Hill) in 1617; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 60–2. He left a son and heir Richard, aged seven. Richard was living in 1664, when he recorded a pedigree, having then a son William, aged twenty-seven; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 89.
John Crombock, Elizabeth his wife, William his son and Thomasine his wife made a settlement of lands, &c., in Wiswell in 1584; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 46, m. 82.
24 Perhaps a grant of lands, &c., and a rent called 'works silver,' made (? to Crombleholme) in 1544; Pat. 36 Hen. VIII, pt. xxvii.
25 Shireburne Abstract Bk.; this also contains notes of the draft of articles of marriage in 1683 for Richard son and heir-apparent of William Crombock and Clement daughter of Dr. Seth Bushell, vicar of Lancaster.
26 It is named in Shireburne and Weld settlements, &c., down to 1827; Com. Pleas Recov. R. Trin. 8 Geo. IV, m. 5 (Joseph and Edward Weld).
27 It was not afterwards sold to the Duke of Buccleuch as stated in Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1870), ii, 25.
28 Whalley Couch. iv, 1086.
29 Printed in Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 32 n.
30 Baines, loc. cit.
31 Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 56; the award is at Lancaster.
32 Towneley MS. RR, no. 553; Henry rector of Blackburn and Gilbert his son were witnesses.
33 Ibid. no. 552.
34 Ibid. no. 551. The three deeds were in the possession of Mr. Grimshaw of Clayton in 1659.
35 Adam son of Gilbert de Wiswell gave Ellis his brother half an oxgang of land there at 6d. rent; Shireburne Abstract Bk. Robert Cortes of Wiswell, who had had lands there with Emot his wife, daughter of Robert son of Richard de Wiswell, in 1316–17 granted the same to his son William, who had married Agnes daughter of Renald de Whalley; ibid.
Adam son of Richard de Wiswell in 1334 claimed against Cecily and Margery daughters of Henry son of Richard de Wiswell; Assize R. 1417, m. 7 d.
36 In 1368 Richard de Blackburn obtained a messuage and an oxgang of land in Wiswell from John de Gargrave and Cecily his wife; Final Conc. ii, 174.
John Blackburn, chaplain, as trustee of William Blackburn, in 1437–8 gave to William's son Richard land in Wiswell; Kuerden MSS. ii, fol. 227.
Richard Blackburn and Elizabeth his wife in 1455 had lands settled on them, also the reversion of what Joan, Richard's mother, held as dower; Duchy of Lanc. Anct. D. (P.R.O.), L 1053.
37 Christopher Banastre acquired land in 1434 or 1441; Final Conc. iii, 99, 108. William Banastre appears in 1505; ibid. 156. Robert Craven in 1559 purchased land near Crookacre, &c., from Wilfrid Banastre; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 21, m. 77. Other sales by Wilfrid are recorded; ibid. bdle. 22, m. 75, 84.
38 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 119. Richard their son and heir was twentythree years of age.
39 Final Conc. iii, 156. The deforciants were William Banastre and Grace his wife—obviously the Grace Marshall of 1483—William Marshall and Richard his son and heir. The estate of six messuages, &c., was to be Grace's for life.
The tenure was unknown at Thomas Hesketh's death in 1523 and later; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 16; vii, no. 14.
40 Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 16, m. 107, 122.
Anthony Watson died in 1568 holding part of his estate in Wiswell and Wiswell Eaves of Sir Richard Shireburne in socage, paying 12d. rent, and part of the queen in chief by knight's service; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiii, no. 36. His son Thomas held similarly in 1579; ibid. xiv, no. 28. Thomas's son Anthony Watson, described as of Killington Hall in Westmorland, sold his lands in Wiswell to Sir Richard Shireburne in 1589; Shireburne Abstract Bk.; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 51, m. 35.
Thurstan Mawdesley and Katherine his wife in 1568 sold a messuage to John Braddyll; ibid. bdle. 30, m. 143. Braddyll had acquired part of the abbey estate from Richard Crombleholme of Dutton in 1544; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 179, m. 12 d. Also another part directly from the Crown in 1545; Pat. 37 Hen. VIII, pt. iv. In 1578 he was stated to hold his land in Wiswell of Sir Richard Shireburne in socage by a rent of 12d. (cf. Watson, above); Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 85.
Edward Braddyll and John his son and heir seem to have sold their land in Wiswell in 1596, the purchasers being William Grenevile or Greenfield and others; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 59, m. 134.
William Greenvile died in that year holding a capital messuage in Wiswell Eaves of Richard Shireburne in socage by 12d. rent, and a barn of the queen as of her duchy by the three-hundredth part of a knight's fee. His heir was a nephew Thomas (son of Gilbert) Greenfield, aged seventeen; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 36. The change of spelling is noteworthy.
41 Ibid. i, 222; held partly of the king as of his manor of East Greenwich by 2s. rent, and partly of Richard Shireburne by 3d. rent.
42 Ibid. i, 236; held of the king in socage.
43 There is a Paslew pedigree in Bradford Antiq. July 1908. The surname often occurs in the Clitheroe Ct. Rolls.
44 Dunkenhalgh D.
45 Shireburne Abstract Bk. at Leagram.
46 Whitaker, op. cit. ii, 13.
47 Lay Subs. Lancs. bdle. 130, no. 82.
48 Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), iii, 25.
49 Shireburne Abstract Bk.
50 Ibid.
51 Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 217.
52 These particulars are due to Dr. J. A. Laycock of Sabden, who gives the descent thus: Francis Paslew (dead in 1515) - s. Thomas, d. 1551 - s. Francis - s. John, d. 1617 - s. Francis (1559– 1641) - s. John - da. Alice.
53 Lay Subs. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9. George Long's house had seven hearths, John Crombock's six; there were seventynine in all.
54 Shireburne Abstract Bk. Dr. Laycock supplies the descent thus: Francis Paslew - da. Elizabeth, married Thurstan Tomlinson - s. John, married Alice Helme - s. Thurstan, 1677–1752. Elizabeth had a sister Alice Paslew, who married John Nutter of Old Laund; they were found to be the aunts and next heirs of Alice Townley in 1645.
55 Trans. Burnley Lit. and Scient. Club, iii, 121.
56 Lay Subs. Lancs. bdle. 131, no. 317.
57 The surname Law or Low was of old standing in Wiswell, for the executors of John Law are named in 1424–5; Pal. of Lanc. Writs of Assize 3 Hen. VI. John Lawe of Wiswell, Ellen his wife and John Lowe their son are named in 1511; Writs Proton. file 3 Hen. VIII. Robert Law occurs as plaintiff respecting a messuage in Wiswell Eaves in 1577–90; Ducatus Lanc. iii, 57, 242.
John Lowe (1624) had lands called Newfield, Crookacre and Stony Corthlong, which were sequestered for his recusancy, or that of Cuthbert Lowe his son, as to two-thirds; Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iv, 110.
58 Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 3174. The land was in Wiswell Eaves. Parkinson desired to compound for the sequestered two-thirds in 1653, but was dead in 1655.
59 Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Non-jurors, 97.
60 Land tax returns at Preston.
61 Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. ii, 196–9.


<--Previous:
Townships:
Pendleton