||The Census Rep. 1901 gives 4,885
acres, including 62 of inland water.
||Lay Subs. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
Dict. Nat. Biog., Abram, Blackburn,
Lond. Gaz. 12 May 1863. Various
powers as to gas, &c., were conferred by
32 & 33 Vict. cap. 66.
||a Statistics from Bd. of Agric. (1905).
Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xviii, 11.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 217. In 1311
William de Radcliffe held two ploughlands in thegnage of Henry de Lacy,
rendering 10s. a year and doing suit to
the court of Clitheroe; ibid. ii, 11.
||Adam de Radcliffe benefited by the
disafforesting of Oswaldtwistle in 1225;
Cal. Pat. 1216–25, p. 576.
In the first part of the 13th century,
Roger rector of Blackburn being a witness,
Philip de Oswaldtwistle granted to Adam
de Radcliffe for 20 marks 1⅓ oxgangs of
land in Oswaldtwistle, excepting Wolfsykes and Foxhole, which the grantor's
brother Henry held; Towneley MS.
OO, no. 1659. The Adam of this
charter was probably the lord of Radcliffe;
a later Adam is mentioned below and in
the account of Church. Adam de Radcliffe gave Robert his son all his land in
Oswaldtwistle and Duckworth at a rent
of two spurs; ibid. no. 1661. This
charter was attested by the steward of the
Earl of Lancaster, Alan the clerk.
In 1241 William son of Henry—probably the brother of Philip—acknowledged the right of Robert son of Adam
de Radcliffe to 22/3 oxgangs of land in
Duckworth and 2½ oxgangs in Oswaldtwistle, Robert allowing him 1¾ acres on
the east side of Duckworth adjoining
Dunnyshope; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 85. The same
William son of Henry acknowledged the
right of Roger son of Henry—apparently
his brother—to 4 oxgangs and 24 acres
of land in Oswaldtwistle, receiving 1¾
acres as above; ibid. 81. Roger de
Oswaldtwistle was a juror in 1258;
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 213.
Oswaldtwistle was among Richard de
Radcliffe's manors in 1309; Final Conc.
ii, 5. Somewhat earlier as Richard lord
of Radcliffe he had granted all his land in
Oswaldtwistle and Duckworth to William
his son. The following tenants were
named: Adam de Aspden, William the
Ward, Richard de Cockersley, William
son of Roger, Thomas son of William,
John de Blackburn, Adam and Robert
sons of William de Edgeworth, Richard
de Duckworth, and John de Whitaker.
A rent of 8 marks was to be paid during
the grantor's life and a rose later;
Towneley MS. OO, no. 1666–7. William
de Radcliffe gave the manor of Oswaldtwistle with a rent of 6s. 8d. to his son
Richard in 1342; ibid. no. 1668.
||Inq. p.m. 14 Edw. III (2nd nos.),
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
Isabel widow of John Radcliffe complained in 1486 that George Ainsworth
and others had cut down 200 thraves of
her oats at Oswaldtwistle; Pal. of Lanc.
Plea R. 63, m. 4.
In 1498 Richard Radcliffe of Radcliffe
was summoned to prove his title to waif
and stray, &c., at Oswaldtwistle, and to
free warren in his demesne lands; Pal.
of Lanc. Writs Proton. 13 Hen. VII.
In 1500 Oswaldtwistle is again named
among the Radcliffe manors; Final Conc.
Robert Lord Fitz Walter in 1527–8
disputed common of pasture and right of
way on Oswaldtwistle Moor with Gilbert
Holden and others; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec.
Com.), i, 135.
||Towneley MS. OO, no. 1678, recites
that Robert Earl of Sussex by will of
17 Oct. 1542 had given to Henry
Northey, then his secretary, the manors
of Oswaldtwistle and Folds for fifty years,
but had charged them with certain annuities, and that Henry Earl of Sussex had
sold the reversion to Andrew Barton of
Smithills. The deed of sale is enrolled
in the Com. Pleas, Trin. 2 Edw. VI,
m. 9 d.
A few years later (1554–5) Roger
Rishton, entering through Henry Northey
by lease in 1545, claimed various tenements, suit of court and mill, &c.,
against a number of persons, including
John Radcliffe bastard son of John
Radcliffe of Radcliffe, who had various
messuages by his father's will, confirmed
by Robert Earl of Sussex in 1524. It
was stated that Roger Rishton had kept
divers courts, and that it was the custom
for all tenants of the manor to do their
suit at the courts and to grind their corn;
Duchy of Lanc. Dep. Phil. and Mary,
lxxiii, R. 16.
||See the account of Smithills in
Robert Barton had various disputes
with tenants and others. Sir John
Southworth in 1566 purchased lands from
Anne and Margery daughters and heirs of
Edward Cottam; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of
F. bdle. 28, m. 132. Afterwards Sir John
in conjunction with Robert Elston alias
Holden had disputes as to the waste
called the moor with Robert Barton;
Ducatus Lanc. iii, 3, 37, 53. At his
death in 1595 Sir John Southworth was
said to hold messuages, &c., in Oswaldtwistle of Ralph Barton as of his manor
of Oswaldtwistle; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. xvii, no. 3.
Robert Barton was plaintiff in 1562
respecting lands in Duckworth; Ducatus
Lanc. ii, 251. In 1575 he claimed
Stanhill hey against John Ainsworth and
others; ibid. iii, 40. He died in 1580,
without issue, holding the manor of
Oswaldtwistle, messuages, water-mill,
&c., of the queen as of her duchy
by knight's service and a rent of
10s. 3d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi,
His widow Margery (Legh), who had
this manor for life, afterwards married
Sir Richard Shuttleworth, and had many
disputes with Ralph Barton, Robert's
brother and heir; for he entered the
manor, gave trees to various persons,
and took sea-coals for his own use;
ibid.; Ducatus Lanc. iii, 514. She died
1592. Ralph Barton died a few days
before her, but the inquisition names the
manor among his possessions; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 50. His son
Randle died in 1611 holding the manor
as before, by knight's service and 10s. 3d.
rent; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), i, 211. The manor was
named in fines, &c., respecting the
Bartons' estates; e.g. Pal. of Lanc. Feet
of F. bdle. 152, m. 67.
||Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 290. In a
recovery of a moiety of the manor in
1772 John Whalley was vouchee; Pal.
of Lanc. Plea R. 615, m. 14. In a fine
of the same time the deforciants of the
manor, messuages, two pot houses, mill,
kiln, courts baron, &c., were Robert
Master, Elizabeth his wife, James Bradshaw, Anne his wife, John Whalley,
Thomas Baron, James Fishwick and
Henry Heaton; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 387, m. 154. Elizabeth and Anne
were grand-nieces of James Whalley, and
John Whalley, afterwards Sir John
Whalley Smythe Gardiner, was a grandnephew; see Whitaker, op. cit. ii, 18.
The last-named sold his moiety for
||Raines in Gastrell's Notitia (Chet.
Soc.), ii, 323.
||John and William Peel of Craven
in 1426–7 gave to feoffees land in
Salesbury and Wilpshire, of the gift of
Roger Bolton and Cecily his wife;
Kuerden fol. MS. 313, 314.
||This account is from Abram, Blackburn, 212–23; a view of Peel Fold is
given. See also the account of Little
||See the Subsidy Rolls quoted in the
text. An Oldham was a freeholder in
1600; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 235. Lawrence Oldham died
in 1636 holding two messuages, &c., of
Sir Thomas Barton as of his manor of
Oswaldtwistle by the fortieth part of a
knight's fee and doing suit to the manor
court and the mill. His heir was his
son William, aged seventeen; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxix, no. 28.
||See the account of Bury; Dict. Nat.
||In 1482 was annulled the child
marriage of Hugh son of Thomas Baron
of Church with Ellen daughter of John
Radcliffe of Radcliffe, the parties having
come of age and desiring to be released.
They had never cohabited; Dunkenhalgh D.
In 1512 there was a partition of lands
between Hugh Baron, Henry Boyes and
Richard Whithalgh, the inheritance of a
certain —, wife of John Grimshaw.
She had two daughters, Margaret and
Joan. The former married Hugh Baron
and had a son Thomas and a grandson
Hugh (living 1512). The latter married
— Sherrock and had a son John and
grandson William. The last-named was
dead in 1512, his daughters and co-heirs
Alice and Isabel having married John
Boyes and James Whithalgh, whose sons
respectively were the Henry and Richard
above-named; Lancs. and Ches. Antiq.
Notes, ii, 189.
||Add. MS. 32104, no. 1261.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 172.
||His will, which mentions the
purchase of the manor, is printed in
Wills (Chet. Soc. new ser.), iii, 105. It
has an armorial seal.
||For the family see Abram, Blackburn, 388, where the descent is thus
given: Christopher Baron, d. 1733 -s.
Henry, d. 1767 -2nd s. Thomas, d.
1801 -nephew Roger, d. 1820 -niece.
||Towneley MS. OO, no. 1660.
||Ibid. OO, no. 1662; Var. Coll.
(Hist. MSS. Com.), ii, 12. Henry son of
Richard de Derden in 1346 released his
right in the Boothroyds to his brother
John, who gave it to his eldest son John,
with remainders to younger children
Robert and Margery and to Nicholas
Holden; DD, no. 818, 820.
||Ibid. OO, no. 1670. Roger gave
his daughter Margaret, with remainder
to her sister Alice, land formerly held by
William de Foxholes; ibid. no. 1669.
||Ibid. OO, no. 1671–2. Uctred de
Church was a witness, so the charter may
be one by Robert Radcliffe of Radcliffe.
||In 1301 they had a suit with
Nicholas de Meadowcroft as to two
messuages, &c., in Oswaldtwistle, but
Nicholas did not prosecute his claim;
Assize R. 419, m. 3. They claimed a
messuage, &c., from Thomas son of
Henry de Catlow in 1307 and later,
Alice being sister and heir of Agnes, to
whom their father Roger de Radcliffe
had given it. The defendant, who was
under age, alleged that the gift to Agnes
was in fee simple; De Banco R. 162,
m. 104; 179, m. 249 d.; 193, m. 72.
||Thomas Radcliffe died in 1521
holding a tenement in Oswaldtwistle of
the heirs of Radcliffe of the Tower in
socage; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 3.
In 1561 the tenure was by knight's
service of Robert Barton; ibid. xi, no. 7.
The estate descended to Sir Gilbert
Gerard; ibid. xvi, no. 2.
||Towneley MS. OO, no. 1042.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 241.
Final Conc. iii, 82; Lancs. Inq. p.m.
(Chet. Soc.), ii, 43.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. ii, 41 (held of the
king in socage), 55.
||Edward Parker was judge for
Oswaldtwistle at Clitheroe wapentake
court in 1408; Dunkenhalgh D.
Edmund Parker occurs in 1445; Pal.
of Lanc. Plea R. 7, m. 2b, 8; 9, m. 11.
||Towneley MS. RR, no. 1471–3.
||Ibid. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), P 51.
||Ibid. P 42.
||Assize R. 405, m. 2 d. Peter de
Chester, provost of Beverley, released to
Adam de Aspden land in Oswaldtwistle
which he had purchased from William de
Foxholebank; DD, no. 836. In 1326
Adam son of Roger de Aspden gave his
brother John the hey of Broadfield and
other land; John married Alice daughter
of Thomas de Catlow; ibid. no. 845.
Edmund Aspden of Oswaldtwistle
occurs in 1445; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R.
7, end. Isabel Aspden daughter and
co-heir of Ellen, lately wife of James
Aspden, in 1512 gave to Richard Rishton
her messuages, &c., in Oswaldtwistle, but
was to have a rent of 13s. 4d. payable
also to her son; Add. MS. 32104, no.
807, 1157. Another Isabel Aspden is
said to have married Ralph Rishton of
Antley; Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 299.
||Towneley MS. HH, no. 1501.
||For writ of diem cl. extr. see Dep.
Keeper's Rep. xxxiii, App. 34.
||Ibid. 35; he also held Oakenshaw
In 1563 Ralph Rishton claimed lands
in Aspden Manor and waste in Oswaldtwistle Moor against a number of persons;
Ducatus Lanc. ii, 269, 270.
||Add. MS. 32104, no. 1160.
||In 1326 Thomas son of Henry de
Catlow granted to Roger de Catlow a
messuage in the vill of Oswaldtwistle
which he had had by gift of Agnes his
mother; Add. MS. 32104, no. 1137.
The feoffee of Robert son of Henry de
Catlow in 1343 regranted to him lands
in Oswaldtwistle with remainders to his
sister Margery and to Margery's brother
Thomas; ibid. no. 425.
||See the account of Church. Catlow
Hall was in 1527 held by Ralph Hyanson,
Richard Lache, John Riding and Piers
Feilden, paying 9s.; Duchy of Lanc.
Rentals, bdle. 5, no. 12.
||Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 11,
||These particulars are from the Shireburne Abstract Book at Leagram.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxviii,
no. 84. In 1581 John Riding of Oswaldtwistle released to Lawrence Duxbury
of Great Harwood a messuage in the
former township; Add. MS. 32104, no.
1263, 1265. Lawrence Duxbury and
Nicholas his son in 1609 sold the tenement called Riddings to Robert Riding;
ibid. no. 1264, 1266. In 1621 Robert
granted the Riddings to feoffees to fulfil
his will, and in 1631 he made his will,
naming Elizabeth his wife and Ellen his
sister, but making Edmund Rishton, rector
of Earnley in Sussex, the ultimate beneficiary; ibid. no. 1268, 1267, 1269.
Edmund Rishton, who married Anne
daughter of Geoffrey Rishton of Antley
(ibid. no. 1257), made his will in 1640,
leaving daughters Mary, Jane, Anne and
Susan; ibid. no. 1262.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
i, 237. See the account of Church. In
1518 John Greenwood of Foxhole Bank
in Oswaldtwistle and Margaret his wife
gave a rent of 6s. 8d. for life to Alice
Holker; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, R 55.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 244.
||From the account of Church it will
be found that Gilbert Rishton married
Elizabeth Catlow before 1500. In 1556
another Gilbert Rishton (of Accrington)
obtained Catlow Hall and a messuage in
Read from Ralph Rishton with reversionary rights after the death of Ellen widow
of Henry Rishton of Dunkenhalgh;
Add. MS. 32104, no. 1246, 1251. It
thus appears that Catlow had been held
by the Dunkenhalgh Rishtons. Richard
Rishton of Dunkenhalgh held land in
Oswaldtwistle of the king in socage in
1530, and Henry Rishton held it in or
before 1549; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
vi, no. 9; ix, no. 30. Gilbert Rishton
of Dunnyshope in 1575 granted Catlow
Hall to his son Robert; ibid. no. 1258.
By William Rishton of Dunnyshope
Catlow Hall was in 1597 assigned for the
benefit of Richard Assheton of Middleton
and Margaret his wife, widow of Robert
Rishton and mother of the grantor; ibid.
no. 799, 1244, 801, 804. In 1601
William Rishton son and heir of Robert
Rishton gave a lease of Catlow Hall for
three lives to Ralph Ayanson; ibid. no.
1261. He in 1616 sold land in Oswaldtwistle to John son of Nicholas Haworth;
ibid. no. 1252. The before-mentioned
Edmund Rishton was in possession of
Catlow Hall in 1632, when he gave a
new lease of it to Christopher Jackson
and Lettice his daughter; ibid. no. 1259–
||Ralph Rishton of Ponthalgh held in
Oswaldtwistle of Richard Radcliffe in
1417; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii,
14. A later Ralph held of the king by a
rent in 1527, and his grandson William
held after him in 1589; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. vi, no. 24; xv, no. 55. The
estate was no doubt White Ash, as in the
||Towneley MS. DD, no. 1400. In
1571 Elizabeth Parker, as widow of
Ralph Rishton of Ponthalgh, had had a
dispute with Roger Kenyon and George
Ainsworth respecting White Ash; Ducatus
Lanc. iii, 59; Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 258. Again
in 1579 there was contention about it
between Roger Rishton and William
Rishton; Ducatus Lanc. iii, 84.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 20.
Alice widow of Ralph had a third part in
dower. The whole was held of the queen
as of her duchy.
Ralph Rishton in 1549 gave his messuages in Oswaldtwistle to Elizabeth daughter of Robert Rishton of Accrington with
remainder to his son John; Add. MS.
32104, no. 798. From another deed by
Ralph in 1568 it appears that John was
illegitimate, and then had sons Ralph,
Nicholas and Robert; ibid. 796. In a
fine of 1578 relating to the estate the
first Ralph is called Ralph Rishton of
Jack House; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 40, m. 24.
Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xxiv,
Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 3077; Index
of Royalists (Index Soc.), 44 (both senior
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 89, 154. George Ainsworth of Knuzden was a freeholder in
1600; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
Cal. Com. for Comp. iii, 2333. His
'supposed delinquency' is not recorded
||Thomas Hesketh of Rufford held a
messuage in Oswaldtwistle in 1523, but
the tenure was unknown; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. v, no. 16; vii, no. 14.
Henry Boyes (already named) had land
in Oswaldtwistle in 1527; Towneley MS.
C 8, 13, B 458. John Boyes died in 1551
holding of Robert Barton; Duchy of
Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 64. The marriage of Grace the heiress with John
Dewhurst led to a claim for compensation by Robert Barton, who said the
wardship and marriage belonged to him;
Add. MS. 32104, no. 705. Lawrence
Hindle purchased in 1572; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle 34, m. 124.
The Whitehalgh family occur here, for
in 1499 the trustees gave lands in Oswaldtwistle and Mellor to Richard Whitehalgh
and Isabel daughter of Lawrence Ainsworth; Towneley MS. DD, no. 2218.
James Whithalgh of Livesey died in 1568
holding a messuage in Oswaldtwistle of
Robert Barton; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
xiii, no. 22.
Of John Ward's tenement in 1592 no
particulars are recorded; ibid. xvi, no. 25.
Edmund Robinson, who died in 1634,
held of Thomas Barton by the onehundredth part of a knight's fee. His
heir was his son John, aged forty-six;
Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 999.
Ellen Crossley, widow, and John her
son were plaintiffs in 1548; Ducatus Lanc.
i, 223. John Crossley had land in 1581;
Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 43, m. 184.
Robert Ryley, Beatrice his wife and his
sons Richard and Thomas occur in 1582;
ibid. bdle. 44, m. 119, 126.
||Lay Subs. Lancs. bdles. 130, no. 82,
125; 131, no. 274.
||Ibid. 131, no. 317.
Lancs. and Ches. Rec. i, 56.
||Land tax returns at Preston.
||Robert son of Adam de Childe
(? Chedle) released to Richard de Radcliffe all his right in an oxgang of land in
the vill of Duckworth; OO, no. 1663.
Plac. de Quo Warr. (Rec. Com.),
375; it is called Oswaldtwistle. About
1540 Ralph Holden held 'the vill of
Duckworth' of the Hospitallers by a rent
of 2s.; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 84b.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xii, no. 3.
||Lands in Duckworth were settled on
Adam son of Robert de Holden and his
wife Alice de Holland and their issue;
DD, no. 815.
||Ibid. no. 780; she released all her
right in lands of her sister Alice in the
hamlet of Duckworth in the vill of
Oswaldtwistle to Adam son of Adam
(? Robert) de Holden. This deed is
undated, but in 1325 Margery made
grants in Duckworth to Richard de Billington, Adam de Holden and Thomas
son of John de Holden; ibid. no. 781,
||Richard son of Ralph de Billington
in 1325 transferred to Adam de Holden
the land he had acquired from Mary
(Margery) de Duckworth; ibid. no. 773.
Roger son of William de Duckworth
released his right in 1327; ibid. no. 772.
||In 1328 Adam de Holden acquired
all the lands in Duckworth belonging to
Richard de Duckworth; ibid. no. 782,
837. Two years later he acquired the
lands of Robert de Duckworth, whose
son William afterwards confirmed the
sale; ibid. no. 775, 787. Richard son
of Robert de Duckworth also confirmed
it; Kuerden MSS. v, fol. 118, no. 40.
In 1358 Henry son of Richard son of
Robert de Duckworth gave a release
of his right in the same lands to Robert
son of Adam de Holden; DD, no. 774.
It appears that the heir of Robert de
Duckworth was an idiot. He died in
April 1364, when possession was given
to Margery and Cecily her sister; Cal.
Close, 1364–8, p. 31.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xii, no. 3.
||Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 44,
Ducatus Lanc. iii, 21, 67, 113; Lancs.
and Ches. Rec. ii, 253.
||Towneley MS. OO, no. 1664–5;
grants by and to Richard de Radcliffe.
||Ibid. DD, no. 776; 1 oxgang had
been held by Roger son of William and
the other by Ellis de Duckworth.
William son of Roger de Duckworth
gave lands there to Peter de Church;
ibid. no. 783.
||In 1381 William de Radcliffe of
Todmorden demised an oxgang of land in
Duckworth to Adam de Holden of Haslingden for nineteen years at a rent of
13s. 4d.; Towneley MS. DD, no. 810.
||Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. viii,
||Ibid. x, no. 24.
||Towneley MS. DD, no. 1546.
||Ibid. no. 809.
||The name is often spelt Immanuel.
||For district see Lond. Gaz. 4 Mar.
||Licensed for marriages in 1872;
ibid. 8 Oct.
||Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. ii,