Townships
Briercliffe with Extwistle

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1911

Pages

468-473

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Briercliffe with Extwistle', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 468-473. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53154 Date accessed: 19 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

BRIERCLIFFE-WITH-EXTWISTLE

Brereclife, 1242; Brereclive, 1258; Brerecliff, 1311; Bretliff, xvii cent. Extwesl', 1260; Extwesil, 1322; Extwistle, modern.

Physically this township may be described as consisting of two ridges or westward spurs of the chain of hills dividing Lancashire from Yorkshire. Down the central valley between them flows the Don, which at the extreme south-western corner joins with the Swinden and Brun. The two parts are named Briercliffe and Extwistle, to north and south, and have areas of 2,324½ and 1,903 acres respectively, or 4,227½ acres (fn. 1) in all. The northern boundary is formed in part by Catlow Brook, in which two reservoirs (fn. 2) have been formed. The highest points, ranging up to 1,400 ft. and 1,500 ft. above sea level, are near the eastern end; at the Brun, in the west, the height is only 450 ft. above the sea. The population in 1901 numbered 2,324.

A good deal of the land is moorland; the soil is clay, overlying clay and slate, and the agricultural land is mostly used for pasturage. There are cotton mills in Briercliffe, and stone quarries are worked.

The principal road is that from Burnley eastward through Briercliffe, passing through the hamlets of Harlesyke, Haggate and Lane Bottom. Towards the eastern end of the township it turns north towards Colne, but sends off a branch south-east by Higher Ridihalgh across Thursden and the Don Valley where is a ford, past the remains of Widdop Cross (1,286 ft.) on the boundary, into Yorkshire. At Haggate the road is crossed by another from Nelson, continuing south-east as Cockden Lane into Worsthorne. In the northern part of Briercliffe are the houses called Windle House, Folds House, Burwains, Hollin Greave and Pighole; in its southwest corner are Mustyhalgh, Walshaw and Widow Green. Extwistle lies near the southern boundary on the slope above Swinden Water. Monk Hall is on higher ground some distance north-east. There was a skirmish at Haggate in 1644 between Prince Rupert's forces and the Parliamentarians. (fn. 3)

The township, now called Briercliffe simply, is governed by a parish council. A small part of the west end was added to Burnley in 1894. (fn. 4)

In the Extwistle part, on the high moorland, are some tumuli and the sites of supposed British and Roman camps; there is another camp above Thursden. Nogworth Cross stood halfway between Extwistle Hall and Monk Hall; there is a tradition that a mischievous 'boggart' which frequented Holden to the south was 'laid' under this cross. (fn. 5) Another cross stood at Thursden.

Manors

There was no separate manor of Briercliffe, the place being regarded as part of the manor of Ightenhill, but a number of the tenements come into notice as the holdings of yeoman families of long continuance. In 1242, after the death of John de Lacy, the value of Briercliffe was returned as 40s. 8d. a year. (fn. 6) Sixteen years later some further particulars are recorded, the following holding land by charter: Adam de Windhill or Windle, half a plough-land and 30 acres, rendering 17s. a year; Henry de Windle, 24 acres at 18s.; and Michael de Briercliffe, 3 oxgangs of land and 12 acres, rendering 21s. (fn. 7) There or elsewhere in the manor Roger son of Peter de Briercliffe held 5 acres, paying the usual rent of 4d. an acre. (fn. 8) The fuller survey after the death of Henry de Lacy in 1311 shows that 166½ acres were held by tenants at will at 4d. an acre; Robert son of Mocock de Briercliffe held 58 acres in fee, rendering 21s., and Adam de Walshaw (Wolleshagh) held 51 acres, freely rendering 17s.; a total rental of £4 13s. 6d. (fn. 9) In 1323 the receipts were almost exactly the same, for though the nominal total was £6 3s. 1d., there were tenements in the king's hands which had formerly yielded 29s. 4¾d. (fn. 10) Briercliffe was named in the charter of free warren granted to Edmund de Lacy in 1251.

Robert de Lacy near the end of the 12th century granted to Osward Brun half a plough-land in Briercliffe and 30 acres of assart in the wood of Richlie or Rudgelie, rendering 17s. a year to the lord. (fn. 11) Michael son of Award Brun granted all his right in Briercliffe to Adam son of Ellis de Walshaw, (fn. 12) and though Adam de Windle is named as tenant in 1258 he was probably the Adam de Walshaw of other deeds. A later Adam, as above recorded, held 51 acres by the ancient 17s. rent. The surname of Walshaw long continued in the township, (fn. 13) but the estate appears to have been acquired by the Townleys of Royle, Edmund Townley, who died in 1598, holding three messuages, &c., in Walshaw and Briercliffe. (fn. 14) It has descended to Mr. Reginald Arthur Tatton, who is also the owner of Mustihalgh, Bend Hill, Lower Cockden, Hanson's tenement and Herd House.

The Windle family occur in Briercliffe and in Worsthorne. Henry de Windle gave to Richard brother of Robert de Orm part of his land in Old Briercliffe, for which 2s. was to be paid at St. Giles's Day. (fn. 15) From a pleading of 1284 it appears that Henry de Windle's estate descended to granddaughters. (fn. 16) In 1313 Robert son of Yacocks de Briercliffe granted to Adam de Windle land in Seneintacks in the Holt as it lay by Annot Cross on the south side. (fn. 17) The place is named in a charter of 1324 by which Thomas son of Hugh del Holrenhead granted land on Windle in Briercliffe to his son Adam. (fn. 18) Windle House was long in the possession of the Halstead family. Mr. William Halstead is now the owner.


Tatton. Quarterly argent and gules, four crescents counterchanged.

The place provided a surname for one or more of the families dwelling there. A Briercliffe family of long continuance, descended probably from the Michael de Briercliffe of 1258, had Burwains. Robert son of Matthew, named as holding in 1311, received from Agnes daughter of Richard de Bernesete lands which had belonged to Michael son of Matthew de Briercliffe, (fn. 19) and other lands from Ilbota daughter of Michael de Briercliffe. (fn. 20) Other members of the family occur. (fn. 21) Robert Briercliffe of Burwains died in 1617 holding his messuage and land there of the king as of his manor of Ightenhill in socage, by a rent of 7s. 4d.; his son Lawrence was eleven years of age. (fn. 22) Mustihalgh, which is named in a charter made about 1300, (fn. 23) was at one time held by the Briercliffe family. (fn. 24) Mr. William Edward Robertshaw is part owner of Burwains, Yeomans, Batty Hole and Broad Bank.

High Ridihalgh or Redehalgh also gave a surname to the owners. (fn. 25) In 1589–90 Robert Ridihalgh of Ledsham in Yorkshire, John his son, and their wives joined in the sale of High Ridihalgh to Simon Haydock, (fn. 26) who in 1600 sold the same to James Folds of Trawden, (fn. 27) and it descended with the purchaser's other estates till the early part of last century. Mr. Catlow Birtwistle is the present owner. The copyhold messuage of The Folds (del Foldes) was in the tenure of Henry del Foldes in 1443 (fn. 28) and was sold by his son Lawrence in 1446 to John Banastre of Walton-in-le-Dale, whose son Thurstan married Alice daughter of Henry Rishton and was described in 1485 as of Clayton-le-Moors, gent. His estate of Swinden in Great Marsden, Henfield-in-Colne, and The Folds in Briercliffe passed to William Lister, son of Christopher Lister of Middop, co. York., in marriage with Elizabeth daughter and heir of Thurstan Banastre. (fn. 29) Their son Christopher Lister sold The Folds in 1544 to Richard Akeroyd of the family of that name possessed of lands in Haworth, Dewsbury and Foggathorpe, co. York.; and Henfield in Colne to the same purchaser in 1556. (fn. 30) The estate of The Folds, now Folds House, descended in the family of Akeroyd, afterwards Ecroyd, until 1803, when it was sold, but was acquired in 1907 by the great-grandson of the vendor, William Farrer, formerly Ecroyd, one of the editors of this work. In the orchard adjoining Folds House is an ancient burial-place of the Society of Friends, where are gravestones inscribed to the memory of Elizabeth wife of John Vipont, relict of John Ecroyd, and of Edward Vipont her son, both dated 1681. The dwelling-house, which is a good example of the ancient domestic architecture of the district, was built about the year 1600 by John Akeroyd, son of the original purchaser.


Farrer of Hall Garth. Quarterly: 1st and 4th, Argent on a bend indented sable between two acorns slipped and leaved proper three horse-shoes of the field, for Farrer: 2nd and 3rd, Azure on a cheveron erminois between three stags' heads erased of the last two oak branches slipped cheveronwise proper, in centre chief a bezant charged with a rose gules barbed and seeded proper, for Ecroyd.

The Towneley family acquired land here as in other places in the neighbourhood. (fn. 31) Other names that occur are Haydock of Heysandforth, (fn. 32) Radcliffe (fn. 33) and Gerard (fn. 34) of Winmarleigh and Tattersall of Ridge End in Burnley. (fn. 35) One or two other references occur. (fn. 36) Pighole has long been in the possession of the Smiths of Hill and of Hill End, (fn. 37) the present owner being Mr. William Stephenson Smith, who is also the owner of Hill End, Higher House and Lane House. (fn. 38)

The list of freeholders in 1443 includes some of those already named; also Finnays and Wymmens. (fn. 39) In 1594 the freeholders were Simon Haydock, Edmund Townley of Royle, Edmund Tattersall, Robert Briercliffe, John Woodroffe, John Towneley of Towneley, and the Fairmanfield (4 ac.). The first five were copyholders also, the other copyholders being John Ecroyd, John Halstead (two), James Paley, John Smith (two), Stephen Smith and Bernard Whitwham. (fn. 40) In 1624 a division of the commons was made, when the Limestone Scarr in Thursden was thus divided among the freeholders and copyholders of Briercliffe for the purpose of washing the glacial drift for limestone to burn for lime:

The uppermost part or east part, from the top or north end to the water, to Richard Towneley, — Haydock or William Pollard (whosoever of them of right should have it), John Tattersall of Briercliffe, John Halstead of High Halstead, Edward Robinson of Old Laund, and to John Smith, alderman, to be divided rateably. The midmost part, likewise from the upper end to the water, to James Folds of Trawden, Lawrence Briercliffe, Richard Acroid for Hollingreave lands, Richard Halstead of Windle House, William Sagar and John Smith of Pighole. The low-most part, or west, to Nicholas Townley of Royle and Isabel his wife. A dam of water was to be drawn between the middlemost and lowest parts, 'with water, all that falleth from heaven or cometh without the leave of any must run to either of the said parts one week after another week, viz., to the lowmost part one week and to the middlemost part another week for ever hereafter.' (fn. 41)

EXTWISTLE was assessed as one plough-land and held by knight's service, variously described as the eighth or the tenth part of a fee. The descent is obscure, but Richard Malbisse (fn. 42) appears to have held it in the time of Richard I, for he granted half a ploughland in Extwistle to the canons of the Premonstratensian Abbey of Newbo by Grantham in alms, which grant was confirmed by the superior lord, Robert de Lacy, who died in 1194, (fn. 43) and by Henry III in 1235. (fn. 44) The other moiety, which was perhaps charged with the whole of the knight's service, was probably granted in fee to a lay tenant, for in 1242 Adam de Preston held the tenth part of a knight's fee in Extwistle, this manor being included in the dower of the Countess of Lincoln. (fn. 45) By 1302 it had been acquired by Gilbert de Legh, who was stated to hold it by the eighth part of a knight's fee. (fn. 46) But before 1287 the Abbot of Kirkstall had a share of Extwistle, (fn. 47) and in 1311 was recorded to hold half a plough-land there, rendering 9½d. at Midsummer and doing suit to the three-weeks court at Clitheroe. (fn. 48) This abbot's holding was called half a plough-land in 1322, and he was said to hold it by the sixteenth part of a knight's fee. (fn. 49) In 1349 the Abbots of Kirkstall and Newbo were each said to hold half a ploughland in Extwistle, where eight plough-lands made a knight's fee. (fn. 50) A few years later, in 1355, the Abbot of Kirkstall was stated to hold the tenth part of a knight's fee which Adam de Preston had formerly held. (fn. 51) A similar record occurs in 1361. (fn. 52)

There is no record of the acquisition of Extwistle in the Kirkstall chartulary, but from the above it seems clear that the superior moiety had been granted to the abbey before 1300, and that the monks had demised it to Gilbert de Legh, ancestor of the Towneley family. In 1446 it was returned that John Parker of Monk Hall and Richard Towneley held the tenth part of a knight's fee in Extwistle, Parker declaring that he held by feoffment. (fn. 53) The later history does not afford much light on the matter, for though the Towneleys had the mill with its rights, (fn. 54) the Parkers claimed the manor. On the suppression of the monasteries the Newbo part of Extwistle was sold by the Crown to William Ramsden, (fn. 55) who then sold to Robert Parker. (fn. 56) A rent of 8s. reserved to the Crown was afterwards remitted. (fn. 57)

Before that time, however, John Parker, who died in 1507, held a capital messuage called Monk Hall with other messuages and lands in Extwistle and Briercliffe. The Extwistle lands were held of the king as of his duchy of Lancaster by the tenth part of a knight's fee, the ancient service for the whole of the manor. (fn. 58) His son John Parker, aged forty-eight in 1529, succeeded, and was followed by his son Robert and grandson John. (fn. 59) The last-named John died in 1635 holding Extwistle Hall, Monk Hall, Netherwood, and various lands, &c., in the township as before, by the tenth part of a knight's fee. (fn. 60) His son John, then fifty years old, had a son Robert, who died in 1636, leaving a son John, aged two years. (fn. 61) The grandfather was a member of the Presbyterian Classis established in 1646, and acted as high sheriff in 1653, (fn. 62) but does not appear to have taken any active share in the Civil War. The grandson, who recorded a pedigree in 1664, (fn. 63) had a son Robert, high sheriff in 1710, (fn. 64) who married a co-heir of Christopher Banastre of Bank, and acquired the manor of Cuerden thereby. The more recent descent has been given in the account of Cuerden; later marriages brought the estates of Royle and Astley in Chorley into the family. Extwistle is no longer reputed a manor, and no courts are held. The present owner is Mr. Reginald Arthur Tatton of Cuerden, a younger son of T. W. Tatton of Wythenshawe Hall, Cheshire, by his wife Harriet Susan, sister of the late Thomas Townley Parker. (fn. 65) Mr. Tatton is the owner of the principal part of the township; Mr. Wilkinson Parker is the owner of Holden.

EXTWISTLE HALL, now a farm-house, stands on a high ridge of land between the valleys of the Don and Swinden Water in a bleak and commanding situation, and is a lofty three-story building with end gables and mullioned windows, said to have been erected by John Parker in the latter half of the 16th century. The principal front faces north, and the fall of the ground southwards allowing of a basement makes the house one of four stories on that side, where the chief feature is the massive chimney of the hall, which projects 5 ft. and has a width of 15 ft. The house, which is built of local gritstone with stoneslated roofs, consists of a rectangular block 34 ft. by 27 ft. 6 in. externally, and a north-west wing 19 ft. by 14 ft. 6 in., with a lower two-story building with plain gabled roofs on the east end. A former wing on the west side, however, fell down some time during the first half of the 19th century, destroying what is said to have been one of the best apartments and others known as the ladies' rooms. (fn. 66) In front of the house is a small flagged courtyard 43 ft. long by 33 ft. in width, partly inclosed on the west side by the north-west wing, and on the east by the lower buildings. The north side has a high fence wall with moulded coping and balled gate-piers fronting the road. The great hall, which is about 24 ft. by 21 ft., occupies the eastern end of the first floor of the main block and is approached from the forecourt by a wide flight of stone steps forming a very picturesque feature. The entrance in the north-west corner through a four-centred doorway with label and square panel over is now built up, but the north wall still retains unimpaired its lofty ten-light mullioned window with double transoms and hood mould. The floor of the hall is 7 ft. above the general level of the courtyard, to which there is a descent of five steps from the main gateway. The south wall of the hall is occupied almost entirely by the fireplace, the Tudor arched opening of which, however, is now built up, and the room is in a more or less dilapidated state. Portions of an ornamental plaster ceiling and of a carved oak beam are still to be seen, and above the fireplace is a fragment of ornamental plaster work with the words 'nescio cujus' remaining. The staircase, which is of stone, is in the west side of the house, and above the hall is a large room open to the roof and lit by two low mullioned windows of five lights each below the eaves on the north side. The north-west wing, which may be a 17th-century addition, is less severe in appearance than the main block, but is of equal height and of four stories, two of its floors ranging with the height of the great hall. The walls are finished with a plain parapet and balled gables which together with its many mullioned and transomed windows afford some relief to the otherwise rather bare west gable end of the main block. At the back is a small three-light window with round-headed lights under a square head, the only one of this type in the building.

By an explosion of gunpowder in the house in March 1717 much damage was done, and shortly afterwards the family finally quitted the hall, which has since been occupied intermittently by tenant farmers, who chiefly use, however, the basement or ground floor rooms and those in the lower east wing. The appearance of the building in its lonely and commanding position and its present state of semidesolation and abandonment is very striking.

In 1561 the 'byrelaw of Extwistle' was confirmed by John Towneley of Towneley, John Parker of Extwistle and others. (fn. 67) An agreement as to the inclosure of commons, moor, &c., was made in 1594. (fn. 68)

There was a family taking a name from the township, but no connected account can be given of it. (fn. 69) Lands in Extwistle were given for a chantry in Burnley Church by Peter Tattersall before 1388. (fn. 70) Some minor transactions are on record. (fn. 71)

In 1524 the following contributed to the subsidy for their lands: Lawrence Briercliffe, Edmund and John Parker. (fn. 72) In 1564 John Parker, Lawrence Briercliffe and William Halsted. (fn. 73) In 1597 John Parker and Robert Briercliffe. (fn. 74) In 1626 John Parker and Lawrence Briercliffe; John and Bernard Towneley and others paid as non-communicants. (fn. 75)

In this township in 1666 there were 122 hearths liable to the tax. John Parker's house had eleven; the next in size were those of Lawrence Briercliffe, John Vipan and Richard Wilkinson with five each. (fn. 76)

For the Church of England St. James's, Briercliffe, was built in 1840, and had a district assigned to it in 1843. (fn. 77) The Hulme Trustees are patrons.

A Primitive Methodist chapel existed at Thursden before 1850. The Independent Methodists are now represented at Haggate.

The Baptist chapel at Haggate dates from 1763; in 1798 its 'faith and order differed somewhat from the other Baptist churches in England.' (fn. 78) Another was built at Hill Lane, to the east, in 1840; it is called Ebenezer, and is joined to the Baptist Union.

The Quakers, as above stated, anciently had a burial-ground at Folds House in Briercliffe. (fn. 79)

Footnotes

1 present reduced area contains 4,148 acres, including 28 of inland water; Census Rep.
2 Coldwell to the east and Walverden to the west.
3 a Burnley Par. Reg.
4 Local Govt. Bd. Order 31666. There were no dwelling-houses in the part cut off. The remainder was at the same time constituted the township or civil parish of Briercliffe.
5 For the crosses see Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xviii, 46–8.
6 Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 156.
7 Ibid. 214.
8 Ibid. 215.
9 Ibid. ii, 6.
10 Ibid. 192. The details of the gross total are not given; those of the tenements in the king's lands were: John de Leghcroft, 6 acres, 2s.; Richard de Windle, 53 acres, 18s.; Robert son of Dandy, 65/8 acres, 2s. 2¾d.; Richard son of Ellis, 11 acres, 3s. 8d.; Adam de Hargreaves and Adam de Hurstwood, 10½ acres, 3s. 6d.
11 Harl. MS. 2077, fol. 320; printed in Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 222. Among the witnesses were Geoffrey the Dean and John his brother. The wood appears to be the later Rowley, in Worsthorne.
12 Towneley MS. C 8, 13, B 287. The grantor's name is copied as 'Michus.' Among the witnesses are Michael de Briercliffe, Michael his son and William de Rylands.
13 In 1360 Adam de Walshaw granted to Gilbert de Marsden, clerk, all his lands in Briercliffe, Richard the Parker being witness; ibid. W 113. Robert Walshaw of Walshaw in 1425–6 married Alice daughter of Thomas Rigmaiden; ibid. C 112. The feoffees of Adam Walshaw in 1428–9 gave to Robert son of John Walshaw Adam's lands in Briercliffe; ibid. T 114. Nine years later Robert Walshaw granted to Miles Townley a rent of 30s. a year (for a term) from lands called Blackhouse, occupied by William, James and (the late) John Briercliffe; ibid. W 121. Blackhouse is to the southeast of Holt Hill.
14 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 13. The tenure is not recorded. Nicholas Townley of Royle (about 1700) paid a fee-farm rent of £2 0s. 8d. for Hird House, Shore tenement, Blackhouse Lane, and Walshaw—163 acres in all; Folds MSS. Copyhold lands were held with them. Hird or Herd House stands to the east of Windle.
15 C 8, 13, W 119; Richard and William de Windle were witnesses.
16 Assize R. 1268, m. 12 d. The dispute concerned a messuage and 24 acres in Briercliffe held (except 6 acres) by John son of Randle de Fennycotes and Maud his wife. The 6 acres were held by Richard son of Richard the Reeve. The land had belonged to Anabel daughter of Michael de Briercliffe, whose daughter Maud wife of Henry de Schelf was claimant. John and Maud said they had nothing except the nourishment of Alice and Agnes, the daughters of Maud daughter of Henry de Windle, who were seised in fee of the tenement. They showed a charter by which Michael son of Robert de Briercliffe granted to Alice and Agnes all his land descending from his father. Henry and Maud claimed under another of Michael's charters. They were at length non-suited; Assize R. 1277, m. 32b.
17 C 8, 13, Y 5; John de Windle was a witness.
18 Ibid. H 252. The grantor's surname occurs in many forms, with or without the H.
19 Towneley MS. OO, no. 1488.
20 Ibid. no. 1490; Adam de Walshaw, John de Windle and Geoffrey his brother and William de Ridihalgh were witnesses.
21 Adam son of Adam the Tailor of Briercliffe and John his brother in 1333 released all right to Robert de Briercliffe; ibid. no. 1491. Robert the son of Robert occurs in 1337 (ibid. no. 1492), and in 1343 the father granted lands to Robert his son, who had married Almaric, with remainders to younger sons named Richard and John; ibid. no. 1493. Almoria de Briercliffe widow in 1409 granted to William Parker of Extwistle all the messuages, &c., she had by gift of Robert de Briercliffe the elder; ibid. no. 1496. Lawrence Briercliffe succeeded by 1418 (ibid. no. 1497), and in 1424–5 he granted a messuage and 34 acres of land in Briercliffe to Thomas his son, William Briercliffe being a witness; ibid. no. 1498. Four years later Thomas the son and heir of Lawrence Briercliffe granted the same to William Briercliffe the elder; ibid. no. 1499.
22 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 70. Grace the wife and several younger children are named; also a brother John. John son of Lawrence Briercliffe of Burwains was baptized at Burnley 7 Feb. 1631–2; Reg.
23 Richard son of Richard son of Griffin excepted Mustihalgh from his grant of lands in Briercliffe and Burnley to Oliver de Stansfield; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 84.
24 Robert de Briercliffe in 1335 gave to Gilbert de Legh the rent of 12d. due to grantor from Mustihalgh; C 8, 13, B 273.
25 In 1315 William de Ridihalgh and Agnes his wife claimed a messuage, &c., in Briercliffe against Richard son of John le Mon, in right of Agnes; De Banco R. 212, m. 70 d. Robert le Mon is named in the subsidy of 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 80. In 1424 Richard Ridihalgh of Ridihalgh Hough was to pay 4d. a year to Lawrence Briercliffe; Towneley MS. OO, no. 1495.
Lawrence Ridihalgh of Ridihalgh and Margaret his wife in 1493 settled their estate on John their son, with remainders to other sons Nicholas, Lawrence and Christopher; Folds D. John Ridihalgh of Pontefract in 1515 made a grant of lands which had descended to him after the death of Lawrence his father; Add. MS. 32104, no. 660. In 1516 the marriage of Christopher son of John son of Lawrence Ridihalgh was granted to Nicholas his uncle; Folds D. Christopher in 1533 agreed to marry Elizabeth daughter of John Halstead of High Halstead in Worsthorne; ibid. It was probably the same Christopher who in 1571 made a grant to his son Robert; ibid. From somewhat later deeds it appears that the family removed into Yorkshire.
26 Ibid.; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 51, m. 156.
27 Folds D. James Folds died in 1635 holding four messuages, &c., at High Ridihalgh of the king as of his manor of Ightenhill in socage. The heir was his son James, aged thirty-four; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxviii, no. 27.
28 Clitheroe Ct. R. i, 505.
29 Towneley MS. HH, 74, 76.
30 Clitheroe Ct. R. i, 412, 466; ii, 1.
31 Briercliffe, Extwistle, Worsthorne and Hurstwood occur usually in the Towneley feoffments and inquisitions, but nothing definite is recorded as to extent or tenure.
32 The Haydock land in Briercliffe was joined with Heysandforth, no separate tenure being recorded; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 40.
33 The lands in Briercliffe are named with those in Clitheroe and Marsden as held of the duchy in socage; ibid. xi, no. 7.
34 Ibid. xvi, no. 2.
35 Joan wife of Richard Tattersall and John their son in 1504 claimed a debt from Margaret Tattersall of Briercliffe, widow; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 99, m. 3.
Richard Tattersall died in 1523 holding four messuages, &c., in Briercliffe and Burnley. His heir was his grandson Richard (son of Christopher) Tattersall, aged thirty-six. The lands in Briercliffe were held of the king as duke by knight's service; the tenure of the Burnley portion was not known; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 38, 79.
For the later history of the family see Tattersall Wilkinson, Memories of Hurstwood, 125, &c. The later descent is thus given: Richard Tattersall, d. 1587 -s. Edmund, d. c. 1597 -s. Edmund, d. 1669 -s. John, d. 1696 -s. Edmund, who sold Ridge End to Clayton of Carr in 1719 and then lived at Hurstwood. His son John (d. 1779) succeeded, and was followed by a brother Richard, who in 1781 sold Hurstwood to John Smith; their younger brother Edmund was father of Richard, the founder of 'Tattersall's.'
36 In 1318 Peter son of Richard de Marsden claimed land in Marsden and Briercliffe against Richard de Marsden; De Banco R. 221, m. 281.
John Halstead of Halstead in 1503–4 made a surrender of lands in Briercliffe for his base son John, who married Isabel daughter of Robert Clitheroe; C 8, 13, H 250.
James Hartley of Briercliffe in 1632 compounded for the fines for recusancy due from John Windle (Wynnel), 'dead long ago'; Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xxiv, 180.
37 A demise of part of this copyhold estate from John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, to a lineal ancestor of Smith was in the possession of the family early in the last century, but was accidentally burnt.
38 Other owners are—Cockden, Mr. Abraham Leaver by purchase from Miss Ellen Halstead and her sister Mrs. Cook; Holt Hill, Mr. George Hitchon; The Hill, Mrs. J. C. Widdington; High Halstead, Lady Gordon Lennox; Hollingrove, Mrs. W. Ayre in succession to the late Richard Ridehalgh; New House and Shuttleworth Pasture, Col. Holden; Stephen Hey, Mr. Jesse Altham by purchase from Mr. Robertshaw; Slack, Sir John O. S. Thursby, bart.; Higher Cockden, Blackhouse Lane and North Bank, Mr. Heap; Banks, the Misses Collinge; Haggate House, Mr. Stephen Thornber Smith.
39 Farrer, Clitheroe Ct. R. i, 505.
40 Folds D. James Paley was the husband of Isabel base daughter of Robert Robinson, and in 1602 made a claim against Edmund Robinson and others; Ducatus Lanc. iii, 470.
In 1617 the copyholders were: Lawrence Briercliffe, John Ecroyd, James Folds, John Halstead of High Halstead, John Halstead of Windle House, Stephen Smith and Bernard Whitwham; Towneley MS. 'Honor of Clitheroe.'
41 Mr. Smith's D.
42 Dict. Nat. Biog.; Pontefract Chartul. (Yorks. Arch. Soc.), ii, p. lxviii. He died in 1209.
43 Couch. of Kirkstall (Thoresby Soc.), 191; a confirmation by John de Lacy, between 1232 and 1240, made to Newbo, with quitclaim of all reliefs, &c., due to him and his heirs.
44 Charter R. 29 (19 Hen. III), m. 17. For the abbey see V.C.H. Lincs. ii, 207.
The name Monks Hall occurs in an Extwistle complaint of 1277: Christiana de Watesden v. Richard de Windle, Robert his brother, Henry de Monkeshall, Henry Dandyson, Alice de Windle, and Matthew de Briercliffe, for assault; De Banco R. 21, m. 28 d. Adam de Monachis is named in a charter cited below.
45 Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 150. For the Preston family see Pontefract Chartul. i, 226. Adam de Preston was a tenant of Kirkstall in Preston and Garforth; Couch. of Kirkstall, 349. The abbey may therefore have held the manor at that time.
46 Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 318.
47 Extwistle was excepted from the surrender of the abbey lands in Blackburnshire made to Henry de Lacy in 1287; Misc. (Thoresby Soc.), iv, 194.
In 1300 and later Isabel widow of John de Wridelesford claimed dower in Extwistle against the Abbot of Kirkstall, who replied that he had part only of the land and had already assigned dower to her from that; De Banco R. 135, m. 363; 141, m. 214; 148, m. 96; 151, m. 14. A Samson de Wridlesford attested Lacy charters about 1200; Pontefract Chartul. i, 27, &c. See also Couch. of Kirkstall, 281, &c.
48 Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 10.
49 Ibid. 134.
50 Lansdowne Feodary in Baines' Lancs. ii, 693–4.
51 Feudal Aids, iii, 88. In the same year the Abbot of Kirkstall had a plea concerning land with William son of Roger de Preston, but the place is not named. Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 4, m. 12.
52 Inq. p.m. 35 Edw. III, pt. i, no. 122.
53 Duchy of Lanc. Kts.' Fees, bdle. 2, no. 20.
54 Extwistle Mill was held by Gilbert son of John de Legh in 1371; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, L 192. In later times lands in Extwistle are named in Towneley inquisitions, &c., but no manor is claimed, and the tenure of the lands is not recorded separately, except that in 1400 John Towneley was found to have held land in Extwistle of Gilbert son of Lawrence de Legh in socage by a rent of 6s. 8d.; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 157. In 1608 the tenure of the Towneley lands in Extwistle was described as socage; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 96.
Sir Richard Towneley had the mill in Extwistle in 1531; ibid. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 157. This mill was the subject of complaint by Sir William Radcliffe and Anne his wife in 1550; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), i, 244.
An agreement as to milling rights was made in 1610 between Richard Towneley of Towneley and John Parker of Extwistle, after an arbitration. It was acknowledged that the Towneleys had the ancient mill, to which the Parkers had formerly done suit, but lately John Parker had built a new mill. This was allowed to stand, but was to be used only for corn grown on the land owned by Parker. No other mill was to be built; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, T 232.
In 1554 an exchange of lands in Over Townfield was made by Sir Richard Towneley and Robert Parker; ibid. T 158.
55 Pat. 36 Hen. VIII (20 Sept.); 'the manor of Brerecliffe and Extwistle.' The abbey received yearly £4 from Brocklehurst and Extwistle, with 1s. as the (estimated) perquisites of the courts; Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iv, III.
'Brokehurst' in Extwistle is named in 1442, Lawrence de Legh and Robert his son living there; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 4, m. 12b.
56 Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 227, note 1; Lancs. and Ches. Recs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 381.
57 Pat. 38 Hen. VIII, pt. ix.
58 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 37. The intermediate lordships of Kirkstall and Newbo are not noticed.
The pedigree of the family is in another inquisition (ibid. iii, no. 5) traced back to William the Parker of Monk Hall, who in 1403 gave part of his lands in Extwistle, by the name of messuages called Holden and Leghland, to his son Richard and heirs, with remainders to other sons Nicholas and Edmund. A rent of 4s. was to be paid. His eldest son was Lawrence Parker, who had a son John and a grandson John (living 1530); but a generation may have been omitted. William's younger son Richard is stated to have had sons Lawrence and Miles; Lawrence had a son Edward, whose son Edmund died without issue in 1528, whereupon his cousin Edward Parker as son of Thomas son of Miles claimed his estate. This was described as a messuage and 40 acres in Extwistle, held of the king as duke by knight's service; ibid. vi, no. 33. The tenure was, however, in 1541 stated to be of Sir John Towneley (and then of his son Richard) as of his manor of Cliviger by a rent of 2s. 6d., and Edward Parker was placed in possession; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 173, m. 10.
59 This is the statement of the pedigrees, but there may be an omission between John and Robert. There are no inquisitions.
60 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 4. There is recited a settlement made in 1628 on the marriage of Robert Parker (son of John son of John) with Mary eldest daughter of Nicholas (son of Peter) Scarbrough of Glusburn, Yorks. Various estates in Yorkshire are named in the inquisition. John Parker in 1631 paid £15 as composition on refusing knighthood; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 217.
61 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 53. This refers chiefly to the Yorkshire lands. Christopher Towneley adds a note that Mary, Robert's widow, afterwards married Thomas Barcroft of Barcroft. In his will (dated and proved 1636) Robert Parker is described as 'of Netherwood.'
62 P.R.O. List, 73.
63 Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc.), 228. No arms were recorded. The descent is thus given: Robert Parker—s. John, d. 1635—s. John, d. 1655—s. Robert, d. 1636—s. John, aged 30—s. Robert, aged 1.
64 P.R.O. List, 74.
65 See the accounts of Cuerden and Chorley. There are pedigrees in Whitaker, op. cit. ii, 226, and Foster, Lancs. Peds.
66 Note by T. T. Wilkinson in Whitaker's Whalley (ed. 4), ii, 225.
67 Whitaker, op. cit. ii, 227. Four byrelaw men were to be appointed. No townsman was to take a beast, &c., to the common except a poor man who had kine to give him milk or a horse to lead his 'elding' (fuel). A serving man might have ten sheep on the common. No one was to 'stawve' (stub) or cut any thorns in Swinden, or to sell any slate out of the township. No grass was to be cut between 25 Dec. and 30 Sept. 'Ring yards' were to be made before 15 Mar., on which day all cattle were to be sent out of the fields.
68 Ducatus Lanc. iii, 210; between Robert Parker (who held with John Towneley, John Parker, John Robinson and John Woodroffe) and Bernard Towneley and other inhabitants. Robert Parker was the tenant of Holden House, from whom at the same time John Parker claimed a rent of 4s. 4d.; ibid.
For a decree as to the wastes, delfs, &c., see Lancs. and Ches. Rec. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 274.
69 In 1259–60 Sabina, Avice and Mabel daughters of Alexander de Extwistle gave ½ mark for an assize; Originalia, 44 Hen. III, m. 8.
Matthew de Extwistle granted to Richard son of Henry his nephew (nepoti) 3 acres in Extwistle for a rent of 12d. yearly; Add. MS. 32104, no. 450.
Matthew son of Nicholas de Extwistle and William son of Matthew de Extwistle granted a rent of 2s. to Robert at Bridge of Burnley; C 8, 13, E 31, 21. The second charter states that the 2s. came from the lands of Henry de Holrenhead and Adam de Monachis. Henry son of Richard de Holrenhead (or Ollerhead) acquired for 26s. the lands of Adam son of Gilbert de Ruelay (or Rowley); he was to render yearly 12d. and a pair of white gloves; ibid. R 66. The same Henry in 1317 gave them to Thomas son of Hugh de Holrenhead; ibid. H 248. Agnes de Holrenhead in 1393–4 granted to William her son the lands she had had of the gift of Robert de Holrenhead her father; ibid. H 273.
70 Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 32. The tenure of the lands is not stated.
71 The Parkers of Holden have been mentioned in previous notes. In 1581 Robert Parker of Holden Clough, stating that he in conjunction with John Towneley of Towneley and Robert Parker of Extwistle had divided land called Deeplache Croft, agreed that Edmund (son of John) Robinson of Old Laund should have the right to carry (over the portion assigned to him) between Stubbing and Holrenhead (Ollernhead); C 8, 13, P 56. Charles Towneley of Towneley in 1636 acquired the messuages formerly belonging to John Robinson and Edmund his son; ibid. T 168.
John Folds in 1455–6 granted the lands in Extwistle which he had inherited from William his father to John Clayton; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, F 43.
72 Subs. R. Lancs. bdle. 130, no. 82.
73 Ibid. bdle. 131, no. 212.
74 Ibid. no. 274.
75 Ibid. no. 317.
76 Ibid. bdle. 250, no. 9.
77 Lond. Gaz. 3 Jan. 1843.
78 Rippon, Bapt. Reg. iii, 20. It is now called a 'Scotch Baptist' chapel.
79 In 1665 Richard Wilkinson of Briercliffe was presented to the Bishop of Chester for allowing one Elizabeth Hartley to be 'buried contrary to the laws of the Church,' by the Quakers, but showed that he did not consent; Visit. Returns at Ches. Dioc. Reg.