||The area of the reduced township in
1901 was 3,577 acres, including 30 of
||Local Govt. Bd. Order 31617.
Dict. Nat. Biog.
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 27, showing that William de
Arches was dead in 1207, and citing a
charter of liberties to him granted by
Robert de Lacy, who died in 1193. A
charter by William de Arches is cited
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 150. The name is
printed Reyner in Testa de Nevill, 399,
but Roger on p. 397. Reyner de Arches
occurs in 1246 and John son of Reyner
in 1254 in pleadings hereafter cited.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 157.
||Ibid. 318; there is nothing to account
for the increase of service recorded. From
Whitaker's Craven (ed. Morant, 562,
576) it appears that William de Arches,
living in the time of King John, had sons
William (s.p.), Peter and Reyner, and
that Reyner had two daughters, Beatrice
wife of Reginald (Reyner) de Knoll and
Maud wife of John de Alta Ripa (Dautrey or De Hautrey).
In 1264–5 an agreement was made for
the division of the inheritance of Reyner
de Arches between Ellis son of Ellis de
Knoll and Hawise his wife on one side
and John Dautrey and Maud his wife on the
other; by it the latter pair were to have
Hapton and a moiety or alternate right to
the church of Arncliffe; ibid. 577.
In 1280 Ellis son of Richard de Cassinghurst claimed 18 acres in Hapton
against John son of Godfrey de 'Autrie'
and Maud his wife, which were claimed
also by Richard son of Roger de Bradley;
De Banco R. 36, m. 76; 44, m. 31.
Not long afterwards, in 1284, John de
Shuttleworth claimed a moiety of the
mill in Hapton against Thomas Dautrey,
Ellis de Knoll and Hawise his wife;
ibid. 51, m. 38; 61, m. 19 d. Thomas
son of Adam le Meger of Hapton claimed
against the same three an estate of two
messuages and 2 oxgangs of land in
Hapton; ibid. 57, m. 38 d.
Thomas Dautrey was, perhaps, the
brother of John, for Thomas son of Godfrey occurs in 1279; Whitaker, Craven,
From a deed cited below it appears
that Maud de Arches married secondly
Adam de Buckden.
||As Thomas de Alta Ripa, lord of
Carlton in Craven, he in Feb. 1303–4
gave the manor of Hapton, his lands in
Craven and the advowson of Arncliffe
being expressly excepted, to Gilbert de
la Legh; Harl. MS. 2077, fol. 281;
Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), A 42.
The purchaser is also called Gilbert Atte
Lye of Cliviger; Coram Rege R. 297,
m. 26 d.
Gilbert de la Legh and John his son
attested a local deed in 1310–11; Towneley
MS. C 8, 13, S 112.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 219;
Towneley MS. GG, no. 3097.
||Charter R. 97 (32 Edw. I), m. 2,
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 10.
Edmund Talbot had been killed in Sept.
1310, for Adam de Clitheroe in 1323–4
pleaded a pardon for the deed (or his
share in it); the pardon had been granted
for Adam's services to the king in Scotland; Coram Rege R. 254, m. 45 d., Rex.
The heir was a son John, still under age
and in ward to the king in 1325; Lancs.
Inq. and Extents, ii, 220.
||Ibid. 219; Thomas had died in Nov.
1324. The manor was said to be held by
the fourth part of a knight's fee.
||In 1322 John Talbot, then about
eighteen, was said to hold Hapton by the
third part of a knight's fee; ibid. 134.
One-third of the manor was held as dower
by the wife of Edmund Talbot; the other
two-thirds was let to Adam del Clough at
a rent of 10 marks; ibid. 143, 202.
||Towneley MS. C 8, 13, T 102. In
1330 John de Dinelay and Isabel his wife
(as her dower) claimed a third of twothirds of the manor of Hapton against
Gilbert; De Banco R. 282, m. 277.
Isabel was the widow of John Talbot;
she and her second husband in 1338
augmented their claim to a third part of
the manor, Edmund Talbot's widow
having probably died; ibid. 313, m.
314 d. The defendant, Gilbert son of
John de la Legh, called John son and
heir of Gilbert de la Legh (i.e. his father)
to warrant him; ibid. 316, m. 425.
Thomas son of Robert Dautrey in 1333
claimed two mills and 60 acres in Hapton
against Gilbert de la Legh; ibid. 296,
||Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 190 (pedigree); also the account of Towneley.
Gilbert de la Legh was living in 1336,
when he granted the manor of Hapton to
(his grandson) Gilbert son of John de la
Legh; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, L 159.
Gilbert son of John de la Legh in 1344
gave to feoffees the manor of Hapton, and
in the same year the feoffees regranted it
to him and his wife Alice. The following
homagers are named: John de Shuttleworth, Henry del Green, John de Habergham, Adam de Aspden, William son of
Richard de Birtwisle and Nicholas son of
William de Hayleighs; ibid. L 193, D 32.
Other feoffments of 1344 show that the
manor of Hapton was held by Gilbert son
of John and Alice his wife for the life of
Katherine daughter of Richard de Balderston, with remainder to John son of Gilbert de Legh and Cecily his wife, daughter
of Richard de Towneley; Towneley MS.
C 8, 8 (Chet. Lib.), Edw. III, no. 29, 30.
In 1349 Gilbert de la Legh and the
heir of John de Catterall held the vill of
Hapton in demesne and service for the
third part of a knight's fee; Lansdowne
Feodary in Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1870), ii,
693. Gilbert was in 1380 found to hold
the manor of Hapton of the Duke of
Lancaster by knight's service and 12d.
rent; Inq. p.m. 4 Ric. II, no. 87. He
died before 1388, when his widow Alice
died in possession, having had no issue by
her husband. The heir was John son of
Richard de Towneley, brother of Gilbert,
who was thirty-eight years old; Inq. p.m.
11 Ric. II, no. 33. The later inquisitions
usually record the tenure of Hapton as of
the Duke of Lancaster by knight's service, sometimes adding 12d. rent; Lancs.
Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), i, 157, 160; ii, 59,
&c. It was called the moiety of the
fourth part of a fee in 1445–6; Duchy of
Lanc. Knights' Fees, bdle. 2, no. 20.
||The sites are known; Whitaker,
Whalley, ii, 64. No 'castle' is named
in the charters.
||Ibid.; Duchy of Lanc. Misc. Bks.
Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 94,
314. For the park and pasturage see
ibid. iii, 178, 193.
||Whitaker, op. cit. ii, 65.
Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xxiv,
||Whitaker, op. cit. ii, 545. Many of
his volumes of transcripts are now in the
British Museum, others in the Chetham
Library, while many are owned by W.
Farrer and other private persons. It is
believed that some still belong to the
representatives of the Towneley family.
See Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. iv, App. 408–10.
||Bridestwisel, 1209; Briddestwysil,
1258; Bridhistuwisil, 1292.
||Kuerden fol. MS. p. 230. In 1258
Birtwisle rendered 4s. a year to Edmund
de Lacy; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 217.
Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and
Ches.), i, 30.
||The evidence is scanty, but the following grants are known: Adam de Buckden and Maud de Arches his wife granted
to John de Lacy the service which William
de Arches ought to do for the land he held
of them in Hapton; Duchy of Lanc.
Misc. cxxx, fol. 20 d. Alan de Pennington
son and heir of Thomas gave to the same
John all the land he inherited in Birtwisle
after the death of his father and mother
(Agnes), which land had been demised to
Peter de Chester for his life. A rent of
1d. was to be paid; Kuerden fol. MS.
Henry de Lacy of Cromwellbottom in
1311 held the hamlet of Birtwisle of the
lord of Clitheroe as half a plough-land by a
rent of 4s. and suit of court; Lancs. Inq.
and Extents, ii, 10.
||Kuerden fol. MS. p. 230; Towneley
MS. C 8, 13, L 152. The date is erroneously given by Whitaker. Joan widow of
Henry de Lacy of Cromwellbottom in
1361 gave her dower lands in Birtwisle to
Gilbert de la Legh at 25s. rent; ibid.
L 150. John son of Thomas de Lacy had
land in Birtwisle in 1363; ibid. L 151.
In 1369 Gilbert de la Legh and Alice his
wife had various lands in Birtwisle settled
on them together with the reversion of the
dower of Joan widow of Henry de Lacy;
ibid. B 257, 264.
||The tenure in socage (by a rent of
4s.) is recorded in the Towneley inquisitions: e.g. Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.),
i, 154; ii, 164. Lassland in Birtwisle is
named in 1401; ibid. i, 160. In
1474 Richard Towneley granted to his
brothers Lawrence and Nicholas (for life)
lands called Welsell in Hapton and Nutshaw in Birtwisle; C 8, 13, T 83, 85.
||It is named in recoveries, &c., as
late as 1760; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 495,
m. 5; 592, m. 57.
||Curia Reg. R. 154, m. 17.
||Assize R. 408 (1292), m. 59.
||Gilbert de Birtwisle and Adam his
son attested a charter in 1323; C 8, 13,
H 240. Gilbert son of Gilbert de Birtwisle in 1331 gave to Adam his brother
for forty years certain lands in the hamlet
of Birtwisle in the vill of Hapton which
had belonged to Henry son of Adam son
of Ralph de Birtwisle; ibid. B 267. Adam
de Birtwisle in 1354 settled certain lands
with remainders to Nicholas son of
Sir Richard de Kighley and Joan his wife,
the daughter of Adam, and to Richard de
Towneley; ibid. B 260, R 63. From
other deeds it appears that John and
Nicholas sons of Adam de Birtwisle had
lands in 1340 and 1355; ibid. B 268,
262, 269, H 255. There was a dispute
in the latter year between Nicholas de
Kighley and Joan his wife and Nicholas
son of Adam, the latter claiming under a
grant from his father prior to that to the
Kighleys; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 4,
m. 17 d. See also Dep. Keeper's Rep.
xxxii, App. 332, 334.
Adam de Birtwisle was living in 1352;
Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2, m. 1. In
1390 formal testimony was given that
Richard de Shuttleworth had affirmed
before his death that Nicholas de Birtwisle was not his son, doubts having been
expressed as to the paternity of the said
Nicholas; Add. MS. 32108, fol. 305.
Nicholas de Kighley gave lands in
Birtwisle to Gilbert de la Legh and Alice
his wife in 1379–80; C 8, 13, K 11. As
stated in the text Nicholas and Joan his
wife sold to John de Towneley in 1394,
and the sale was confirmed by Gilbert,
John and William sons of Nicholas;
ibid. K 9, 10. There was in 1395 a fine
to conclude the sale, in which the estate
was called the manor of Birtwisle, except
the land, &c., called Gibland del Hall,
i.e. Gilbert del Hall's land; Final Conc.
||Assize R. 435, m. 6 d.
||Towneley MS. C 8, 13, R 60. In
1444–5 John son of Richard Towneley
granted to his father and others lands in
Birtwisle which he had had with Isabel
daughter of Nicholas Boteler; ibid. T 71.
||Lay Subs. Lancs. bdle. 130, no. 82.
Oliver Birtwisle is named in 1543; ibid.
Whalley Couch. (Chet. Soc.), i, 321.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 101.
||Sutliswrthe, 1293; Shuttellesworth,
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 220. John
had paid relief for lands in Simonstone in
1324; ibid. 186. There were 16 acres
of arable land worth 4d. each, 4 acres of
meadow also worth 4d., and 24 acres of
waste, 2d. each.
A Henry de Shuttleworth attested a
Hapton deed in 1304; Huntroyde D,
H 8. Henry de Shuttleworth and John
his son attested another; ibid. H 9. John
son of Richard de Hey in 1333 granted a
release of right in the Totehill with
Shuttleworth in Hapton; Towneley MS.
C 8, 13, H 265.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 232.
||John de Shuttleworth contributed to
the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs.
(Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 76. From
notes of deeds printed in Whitaker,
Whalley, ii, 66–7, it appears that John
and Richard de Shuttleworth held land in
Hapton of John de la Legh in 1339. In
1342 Richard son of Agnes de Thelwall
gave Richard son of Henry de Shuttleworth land called Fennyfolds in Hapton,
with remainders to Richard's brothers
Henry and John; C 8, 13, T 111. In
1349–50 Roger son of Adam de Happay
confirmed to Richard son of Henry de
Shuttleworth various lands; ibid. N 22–3.
Gilbert de la Legh claimed a messuage
in Hapton in 1350 against Richard de
Shuttleworth, John son of William del
Eghes and Amabel widow of William and
John del Green; Assize R. 1444, m. 2 d.
It appeared that one Amabel was daughter
of Nicholas de Fennyfold and had issue
Adam (bastard), William (s.p.), Alice and
Amabel (defendant). Alice had a son
Roger, who was out of the country and
knew nothing of his inheritance from his
grandmother, but Amabel claimed for him
and herself. Her own moiety she sold to
Richard de Shuttleworth; Duchy of Lanc.
Assize R. 1, m. viii. John son of William
del Eghes gave a release of lands in
Fennyfold, formerly Adam del Green's, in
1357; C 8, 13, E 20.
In 1369 there occur John de Shuttleworth and Richard his brother; Add.
MS. 32104, fol. 290. From feoffments
of lands in Hapton and Huncoat in
1373–4 it appears that Henry son of
Henry de Shuttleworth (then living) had
sons John (called 'the elder'), Thomas,
Ughtred, Robert and William; and sisters
Alice and Margaret; ibid. fol. 247;
C 8, 13, S 94, 95.
||Richard de Shuttleworth had land in
Birtwisle in 1369; ibid. W 120. In
1380–1 the feoffees regranted to Richard
de Shuttleworth and Joan his wife Fennyfolds, with remainders to Emot daughter
of Alice de Berewinde, to Isabel daughter
of John de Birtwisle, to Thomas son of
Richard de Birtwisle, &c.; ibid. C 105–6.
Four years later Richard son of Henry de
Shuttleworth gave to feoffees the manor
of Shuttleworth in Hapton; ibid. S 97.
In the same year he gave a messuage in
Adreancroft to John del Hey (? Ley or
Legh) at a rent of 18d.; ibid. S 114.
Richard was dead in 1390; Add. MS.
32108, fol. 305. In 1398 John son of
Henry de Shuttleworth gave land to John
son of John del Legh (or John del Hey);
Kuerden MSS. iv, B 10b; GG, no. 534.
||In 1411 Isabel widow of John del
Legh of Shuttleworth gave to feoffees
lands in Hapton, Huncoat and Birtwisle;
C 8, 13, L 166. Isabel was daughter of
Richard, as appears below. In 1422–3
they regranted the same, in default of
issue to Isabel, to the issue of Henry de
Shuttleworth, and then to that of his
brother John; ibid. S 172.
In 1430 the brothers John, Gilbert and
Lawrence del Legh granted to their mother
Isabel widow of John del Legh of Shuttleworth the manor of Shuttleworth, with
lands, rents, &c., in Hapton and Birtwisle
which had belonged to her father Richard
de Shuttleworth, Fennyfolds and some
other parcels being excepted; Add. MS.
32104, fol. 114, no. 493.
Thomas son and heir of John Legh in
1451–2 made a feoffment of the manor
of Shuttleworth, of which the bounds are
given: Orborowlache, Hapton Clough,
Greenboothstead, the Calder, Woodiraw,
Mithelme, Shortdean, &c.; C 8, 13,
L 176, 195.
||This step is not clear. There were
disputes as to the estate between William
Talbot and Alice his wife on the one side
and Nicholas son of Thomas Legh on the
other, and in 1464 they were settled by
arbitration, the whole inheritance of Isabel
formerly wife of John Legh being assigned
to Alice; Raines D. (Chet. Lib.). There
was a recovery of the manor in 1482
against William and Alice Talbot; Final
Conc. iii, 139. In Sept. 1484 the capital
messuage called the Hall of Shuttleworth,
a close called Birtwisle, and other lands,
&c., were settled on Alice wife of William
Talbot, with remainders to Lettice wife
of Nicholas Townley, and in default to
Isabel wife of Robert Shakerley, Lettice
and Isabel being the daughters and co-heirs
of Alice; Towneley MS. GG, no. 3126;
C 8, 13, L 182. Shuttleworth Mill,
Herberlaw and the merestone in Herberlache are named; cf. Orborowlache
It appears that Lettice's first husband
was John son and heir of Edmund Ashton
of Chadderton, by whom she had a son
Edmund; Whitaker, Whalley, ii, 67. In
1444 John Ashton remitted his court in
a suit between John Langley and others
v. William Talbot and Alice his wife
respecting the manor of Shuttleworth and
various lands which were held of the said
John Ashton; Pal. of Lanc. Chan. Misc.
bdle. 1, file 10.
||In 1509–10 Thomas son of Robert
Shakerley (later called 'of Standish')
released to Thomas son of Christopher
Lister of Midhope the land called Fennyfolds in Hapton; C 8, 13, S 86–7, T 69.
This was sold to Miles Clayton in 1544;
Add. MS. 32104, fol. 110b, 112b. The
Clayton holding was sold to John Towneley in 1586; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F.
bdle. 37, m. 60; 43, m. 79; 48, m. 17,
The manor of Robert Shakerley called
Shuttleworth Hall is named in 1536;
Pal. of Lanc. Writs of Assize, bdle. 17.
In 1538 Robert Shakerley of Shuttleworth granted to Edmund Ashton certain
parts of the demesne lands; Raines D.
(Chet. Lib.). James Ashton of Chadderton died in 1549 holding ten messuages,
&c., in Shuttleworth of the heir of Sir
John Towneley by a rent of 9s. and five
broad arrow-heads; Duchy of Lanc. Inq.
p.m. ix, no. 29. Similar tenures were
recorded after the death of Edmund Ashton in 1584 and James Ashton in 1612;
ibid. xiv, no. 66; xx, no. 10.
Edmund (son of James son of Edmund)
Ashton had a dispute in 1557–8 with
Alexander Radcliffe and Frances his wife
(widow of Sir Richard Towneley) respecting Birtwisle Field, formerly held by
Nicholas Towneley; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec.
Com.), ii, 166, 194.
In 1645 the owner of High Shuttleworth was said to pay the lord five broad
arrow-heads and 10s. 8d. rent; Whitaker,
op. cit. ii, 65.
||Information of Mr. Howsin.
||Richard son of Roger de Bradley
occurs in 1279; De Banco R. 31, m.
||To this part of Bradley seems to
belong the grant of land there by Roger
son of Thomas the Clerk of Altham to
his son Thomas; he had had the same
by gift of Adam son of Adam de Bradley;
Towneley MS. C 8, 13, C 126. The
Altham family occurs again, for William
de Arches gave land in Hapton at 3s. rent
to Adam son of William de Altham,
Bradley Brook being in one place the
boundary; and John son of Simon de
Altham in 1330 gave a messuage in Hapton received from Henry son of Adam
del Yate to Gilbert de la Legh; ibid.
A 43, 44, Y 3.
In 1316 John de Huncoat gave land in
Huncoat to William de Birtwisle in exchange for some in Bradley; ibid. B 266;
Towneley MS. DD, no. 563. Alice widow
of John de Huncoats released her dower
in Bradley in 1323 to her son Richard
for an annuity of 2s.; C 8, 13, H 240.
In 1326 Richard son of John de Huncoat
gave land in Bradley to Thomas son of
Richard de Simonstone; ibid. H 241.
This Thomas in 1341 gave all his lands
in Hapton to Richard del Yate and Joan
his wife, daughter of Simon del Goodshaw; ibid. S 90, 92. Next year Joan
as widow of Richard gave her land in
Hapton to Gilbert de la Legh and Alice
his wife; ibid. Y 2. Then in 1343
Henry son of Thomas son of Richard de
Simonstone released to Gilbert and Alice
all his right in Bradley, which had been
granted to them by the said Joan; ibid.
S 91. A messuage, &c., called Bradley
in Hapton was included among the possessions of Richard Towneley in 1454;
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 59.
||The charters are in Add. MS. 32104,
no. 1180, &c., but they do not show a
clear descent. Geoffrey de Habergham
obtained Bradley from Adam son of
Robert de Holden in exchange for other
land; no. 1192. Richard son of Roger
de Bradley gave his land in Bradley to
John son of Sir Godfrey de Hautrey,
who, with the consent of Maud his wife,
afterwards gave it to Richard son of Ellis
de Stansfield; no. 1212, 1206. The
grantee may be the Richard son of Ellis
de Bradley who in 1304 gave Bradley and
a rent of 2s. 2d. from Ellis de Brownbirches' land to a feoffee who in 1322
gave the tenement to John son of Henry
de Birtwisle and Amiria his wife; no.
1305, 1210, 1304, 1207. Adam de
Bradley gave land called Furfelt to his
daughter Avice at a rent of 12d.; no.
Thomas del Green gave land in Bradley in Hapton in 1306 to Robert son of
Henry de Wilpshire; it had formerly
belonged to the grantor's brother Adam;
C 8, 13, G 54. Robert gave the same
to William son of John de Birtwisle;
ibid. W 126, S 112. Thomas del Green
also gave his son Roger a rent of 6d.
from the tenement formerly Robert de
Bradley's; no. 1181. Roger had a son
Henry; C 8, 13, G 58. Henry del
Green in 1341 released to Richard del
Yate and Joan his wife all claim to
Thomas de Simonstone's land in Hapton;
ibid. G 55. In 1350 he gave Sliderforth
in Hapton to Gilbert de la Legh and
Alice his wife; ibid. G 52. In 1369
Gilbert de la Legh relinquished his claim
to Sliderforth to Habergham trustees;
Add. MS. 32104, no. 1186.
The Stansfield family occurs later at
Hapton; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 7, m. 1;
8, m. 21.
Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs.
and Ches.), ii, 21, 103.
||It was part of the Towneley estate;
some deeds between 1536 and 1566 are
in Add. MS. 32104, fol. 111, no. 479–86.
See also Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 176, m. 2.
An earlier deed is one dated 1459–60,
by which Peter son and heir of Richard
and Margery Spenser of Botdean by
Worsthorne granted Collinhouse, &c., in
Hapton to John Towneley; C 8, 13,
||It belonged to the Smiths of Burnley
in 1459–61, and in 1525 was given by
Lawrence Smith to Richard Birtwisle,
DD, no. 553–4, 548. Richard Birtwisle
at once exchanged it for other land given
by Sir John Towneley; C 8, 13, B 270.
In 1462 testimony was recorded as to a
death-bed declaration by Robert Smith of
Burnley that he had made no bargain
concerning Reedley in Hapton with Robert
Lowde of Chaigley; RR, no. 53. The
above Lawrence Smith had a rent of 3s.
from Reedley in 1539; DD, no. 557.
||In 1334 Gilbert de la Legh granted
to Thomas de Simonstone five wagonloads of wood from the wood of Bentley
in Hapton; C 8, 13, L 170. In 1678–9
there were disputes concerning a messuage
in Hapton, lately Robert Charnock's, and
waste called Bentley Wood Green; Exch.
Dep. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 56.
||Add. MS. 32104, fol. 108b, no. 472.
Bullock Ees on the south side of the Calder
belonged to the Towneleys. The dispute
was as to the construction of flood-gates
and the boundary fences between it and
a close of land called 'Ollodweele' in
Padiham. By the later arbitration it was
allowed that Richard Towneley and Edmund Ashton might make a flood-gate
over the Calder.
||Huntroyde D. H 6. The bounds
name the Calder, Bradley beck, Smallshaw
beck, Greenlache usque Haysia, and
Kagildesyke. Geoffrey Dean of Whalley
attested the grant.
Thomas the Clerk of Altham was living
in 1246; Assize R. 404, m. 8. John son
of Henry de Hewode had had land from
him in marriage with Avice, and gave the
same to Reyner de Arches; ibid. m. 5 d.
||Huntroyde D. H 7. Henry, another
son of the grantor, is named. The seal
shows a cross fleury, with legend's Roger.
||Ibid. H 8. The seal, bearing a crescent
with star above it, has the legend s. Thom.
D' La. Gren.
||Ibid. H 9. From charters already
cited it appears that the Greens' land
extended into Bradley. They show that
a Thomas del Green (1304) had a son
Roger (1311), whose son was Henry
||Coram Rege R. 297, m. 26 d. Some
of the charters have been given already
in the account of Bradley, to which part
of the township the dispute referred.
||Little is known of their tenure. In
1336 John de Whalley complained that
Agnes del Green, Thomas and Nicholas
del Green and others had taken his goods
at Hapton; De Banco R. 305, m. 41 d.
In 1343 it was presented that Richard
and Henry de Shuttleworth had beaten
and wounded Henry del Green, Katherine
his wife and Robert de Whalley at Hapton
Green; Assize R. 430, m. 25.
||Henry del Green appears to have
left three daughters as co-heirs, for Joan
widow of John Parker of Alkincoats and
daughter and co-heir of Henry Green of
Hapton in 1417 released to Sir Richard
Radcliffe the third part of four messuages,
&c.; Huntroyde D. H 22. The marriage
had probably taken place by 1371, when
John son of John the Parker of Alkincoats
and John de Birtwisle, chaplain, claimed
20 acres, &c., in Hapton against John
son of Richard the Parker of Alkincoats;
De Banco R. 444, m. 173. Another
portion of the estate may be the 18 acres,
&c., obtained in 1380 by Robert de
Altham and Emma his wife against
William Turpin and Margery his wife;
Final Conc. iii, 10.
Richard Radcliffe of Winmarleigh in
1477 held a messuage, &c., in Hapton of
Richard Towneley in socage by a rent of
½d.; Lanc. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc.), ii, 103.
Richard Radcliffe held similarly in 1500;
Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 75. The
estate occurs in later inquisitions.
||In 1424 the feoffees restored to
Emota widow of Thomas Ryley of the
Green within the vill of Hapton all lands,
with remainders to Henry and John the
sons of Emota, and to her right heirs;
Huntroyde D. H 24. Emota may be
the Emma de Altham of 1380; in 1437
there were disputes between Emma widow
of Thomas Ryley and James Altham;
ibid. H 30.
An arbitration award in 1444 shows that
Henry Ryley of the Green had refused to
marry Emot dau. of Henry Shuttleworth;
a divorce must be procured and payment
made; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, S 117.
Thomas son and heir of Henry Ryley
of the Green is named in 1521; Huntroyde D. H 43. Thomas Ryley in 1547
gave his son Henry, who married Elizabeth daughter of James Catterall, a messuage in Hapton called Over Green, &c.;
ibid. H 60, 62.
John son of Henry son of Thomas Ryley
in 1580 gave his uncle Thomas Ryley
lands in Hapton, viz. Lower Green, Over
Green alias Gayle Green or Fennyfold,
&c.; ibid. H 73. Thomas Ryley of the
Green in 1604 granted lands to feoffees
with remainders to his sons Thomas,
Henry, Hugh and Vincent; ibid. H 79.
There is a short pedigree, not pertaining
to the visitation, in Visit. of 1567 (Chet.
Soc.), 125. It shows Henry Ryley —s.
Thomas —s. Thomas and three other sons.
In the fines John Ryley occurs in
1578–9, John and Thomas in 1581,
Thomas and Hugh in 1591; Pal. of Lanc.
Feet of F. bdle. 40, m. 84; 41, m. 66;
43, m. 161; 52, m. 180; 53, m. 72.
Thomas Ryley of the Green in 1631
paid £10 as fine on refusing knighthood;
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 217.
||It was purchased from John Ryley
in 1657, and appears among the Starkie
estates in deeds of 1688–98; information
of Mr. Howsin and Huntroyde D.
||Pollard was a surname of old standing. William son of John Pollard, yeoman,
is named in 1449; Pal. of Lanc. Plea
R. 12, m. 29 b. George Pollard of Hapton
in 1631 paid £10 on declining knighthood; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.),
Lawrence Shuttleworth, B.D., of Gawthorpe, died in 1608 holding an acre in
Hapton of the king in socage; Lancs. Inq.
p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 109.
||Duchy of Lanc. Special Com. 554,
||Lay Subs. Lancs. bdle. 250, no. 9.
||Land tax returns at Preston.
||Lay Subs. Lancs. bdle. 131, no. 317.
Wilkinson, Townley, Frane and Rawcliffe were convicted recusants c. 1670;
Misc. (Cath. Rec. Soc.), v, 144.
||Only fourteen 'Papists' were known
in Padiham chapelry in 1767; Trans.
Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xviii, 216.