Townships
Broughton

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1912

Pages

117-124

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Broughton', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7 (1912), pp. 117-124. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53196 Date accessed: 22 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

BROUGHTON

Broctun, Dom. Bk.; Brocton, 1200; Brecton, 1256; Brochton, 1261; Broucton, 1262; Broghton, 1292; Brogton, 1297.

Blundel Brook, running west, forms at first the northern boundary of this township and then flows across it. On the north bank stand the church and Broughton House. Most of the area lies to the south of the brook; near the centre was the Tower, with the hamlet of Sharoe adjacent, Durton or Urton to the north-east and Fernyhalgh on the eastern boundary. Lightfoot Green and Ingolhead are on the west side. A small detached portion lay in Woodplumpton, to which it was added about 1882. The area measured 2,367 acres, (fn. 1) and in 1901 there was a population of 616. The surface is comparatively flat, the heights above sea level ranging from 100 to 180 ft.

The principal road is that going north from Preston; it crosses Blundel Brook by a bridge, from which a road goes eastward to Haighton, with a branch turning south to Fulwood; westward a road goes to Cottam and Lea. The London and NorthWestern Company's railway runs north through the western end of the township.

The land is pasture; the soil clayey, with varying subsoil.

There is a parish council.

Remains of a number of ancient crosses are known— in the churchyard and elsewhere. (fn. 2) There are, or were, some reputed holy wells. (fn. 3)

Manors

In 1066 BROUGHTON, assessed as one plough-land, formed part of Earl Tostig's lordship of Preston or Amounderness. (fn. 4) After the Conquest it appears to have been held in thegnage, perhaps by the old lords and their descendants. Between 1153 and 1160 William Count of Boulogne, son of King Stephen, confirmed to Uctred son of Huck and his heirs 8 oxgangs of land in Broughton by the service due, viz. 8s. a year. (fn. 5) Uctred and his family took their surname from Little Singleton, which they held by serjeanty of the wapentake of Amounderness. (fn. 6)

Richard son of Uctred succeeded, but was ejected by Theobald Walter, after whose forfeiture and death King John detained the manor and it remained in the hands of Henry III. The township during this time gave an increased revenue to the Crown. (fn. 7) In 1261 Henry III, after inquiry, restored it as a matter of right to William de Singleton, grandson of Richard, who paid 3 marks of gold. (fn. 8) . William had already in 1256 acquired land in Broughton from Geoffrey the Cook, (fn. 9) and in 1262 he warranted to Alan de Singleton a moiety of Broughton. (fn. 10)

William and his son Alan died before 1292, when Alan's son Thomas was in possession and engaged in various disputes. (fn. 11) Soon afterwards Broughton and the other estates of the family are found in the possession of Joan wife of Thomas Banastre of Bretherton, she being the sister and heir of Thomas de Singleton. Thomas died in 1299 or 1300, Joan claiming dower in the latter year. (fn. 12) As a widow in 1303 she made a settlement of the manor of Little Singleton and various lands in Thornton, Broughton, Dilworth and Bilsborrow, the remainders being to William Banastre and Adam his brother. (fn. 13) From the account already given of Bretherton in the parish of Croston it will be seen that William was the son of Joan and Thomas. Broughton descended in the same way as Bretherton, (fn. 14) and in the 16th century the Earl of Derby held the manor, (fn. 15) though the other heirs of Balderston had estates in Broughton. (fn. 16) This principal manor of Broughton then disappears from the records.

What in later times was called the manor was the estate of BROUGHTON TOWER, held by a branch of the Singleton family. There are but fragmentary notices of them. (fn. 17) James Singleton of Broughton and Robert his son occur in a feoffment of 1471. (fn. 18) Robert Singleton died in August 1501 holding the manor of Broughton with lands, &c, in Broughton, Sharoe, Durton and Fernyhalgh; Joan his wife died in the following January, and Richard the son and heir succeeded, being twenty-five years of age. (fn. 19) He died in September 1504, leaving as heir a son John, aged seven. (fn. 20) The manor of Broughton was in 1513 stated to be held of the Earl of Derby and others as of their manor of Balderston by the yearly rent of 1d. (fn. 21) John Singleton died in 1522 and his uncle Thomas succeeded, (fn. 22) holding the manor till his death in or before 1535, when Robert his son was found to be his heir. (fn. 23) In 1557 Robert was succeeded by his son Richard, the manor and lands in Broughton being held of the king and queen by the tenth part of a knight's fee. (fn. 24) Richard and Robert his son both died in the course of the same year 1557, and then Edward Singleton, brother of Robert the grandfather, inherited; he was forty-six years of age. (fn. 25) He died in 1567, leaving a son and heir Thomas, only seven years of age. (fn. 26)

Thomas Singleton adhering to the Roman Catholic religion was punished for his recusancy, and his son Edward likewise. (fn. 27) The father and son joined in a settlement of the manor in 1600, (fn. 28) while Edward seems to have been in possession in 1604. (fn. 29) and another Thomas Singleton, his son, in 1609. (fn. 30) The manor was sold by Thomas Singleton and other members of the family to Roger Langton in 1615. (fn. 31) It descended in this family till 1732, when William Langton bequeathed it to his sister Jane, (fn. 32) who in 1735 married Lawrence Rawstorne and it became her husband's property, (fn. 33) descending by the issue of his second marriage to his grandson Lawrence Rawstorne, (fn. 34) who sold the Broughton estate in 1810. Broughton Tower with part of the land was sold to James Rothwell and has descended like Hoole; the rest of the land was purchased by the trustees of Kirkham Grammar School. (fn. 35) The Tower was demolished about 1800.

INGOLHEAD gave a surname to a family dwelling there, (fn. 36) whose estate seems to have been acquired by the Blundells of Preston. (fn. 37) Some of this land was sold to William Hoghton in 1490. (fn. 38) There was also a family of Singleton of Ingolhead. (fn. 39)

BANK HALL, at one time owned by the Singletons of Brockholes, (fn. 40) had a more interesting history. In the 17th century it was held in moieties, one half being in trust for the Roman Catholic missionary priests of the district, for whom it served as a centre. (fn. 41) In 1654 Thomas Clayton of Chorley desired to prove his title to a house, &c, in Broughton settled by the late William Singleton on claimant, with reversion to William Daniel; two-thirds were still under sequestration for Singleton's recusancy; ibid, v, 3201. From the later history this appears to be Bank Hall.
A report by Samuel Peploe, vicar of Preston in 1716, stated that at that time one moiety was held by the Crook family, with a charge upon it, so it was suspected, 'only in trust ... for Romish priests'; 'the other part of Bank Hall estate is Mr. Thomas (or his son John) Clayton of Preston. This has been in lease many years. Mr. Smith, a Romish priest (whose true name is Edward Kitchen), lives in that part of the house at Bank Hall which belongs to this side of the estate and has occupied and let the ground from time to time .... I am told that Mr. John Clayton has entered on this tenement some days ago, pretending that he has bought Smith out of it,' &c.; Haydock Papers, 60, 61, quoting P.R.O. Forftd. Estates, P 134.. See also Payne, Rec. of Engl. Cath. 155.
The Claytons of Crook and Fulwood had lands, &c, in Broughton, Fulwoodshaw and Durton; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxviii, no. 79.

The other moiety was owned by a recusant family named Crook, (fn. 42) whose representative sold to the late John William Richard Wilson of Preston in 1834. (fn. 43) The old house was abandoned and the present Broughton House built as a residence. Mr. Wilson died in 1875 and was succeeded by his son the late Edward Wilson, and grandson Mr. Henry Francis Wilson, the present owner. (fn. 44)


Langton of Broughton Tower. Argent three cheverons gules and a canton vair.

The names of other landowners occur in inquisitions. (fn. 45) Several of the people suffered sequestration under the Commonwealth (fn. 46) and some 'Papists' registered estates in 1717. (fn. 47)

The Knights Hospitallers had some land in Broughton. (fn. 48)

Church

The church of ST. JOHN BAPTIST stands at the south end of the village on a slightly elevated site to the east of the high road close to the Blundel Brook, which forms the boundary of the churchyard on the south side. The site is an ancient one, but the oldest part of the present church is the tower, which dates only from the 16th century, the rest being modern. The old building, which was pulled down about 1823, appears to have been an early 16th-century rebuilding of a 14th-century church, fragments of which have been discovered, (fn. 49) and it is probable that at least two churches stood on the site previous to the reign of Henry VIII. A plan of the old church as it existed at the beginning of the last century (fn. 50) shows it to have consisted of a chancel with a large chapel on the north side separated from it by an arcade of two arches, and a smaller south chapel open to the chancel by a single arch, nave of four Days with north and south aisles, south porch and west tower. Both chapels projected beyond the line of the aisle walls north and south, and were separated from the chancel by oak screens. (fn. 51) The chancel was of the same width as the nave, there being apparently no structural division. No illustration of the building remains, though it is said to have been of a plain late type of Gothic, with low overhanging eaves and dormer windows. (fn. 52) From remains still existing in the east wall of the tower the old nave seems to have been 15 ft. 6 in. wide, (fn. 53) with aisles 8 ft. wide, the total length of the nave and chancel being 79 ft. (fn. 54) During the 17th and 18 th centuries little or nothing seems to have been done to keep the structure in adequate repair, and shortly before its demolition Dr. Whitaker wrote that he had seldom seen 'greater appearances of squalid neglect and approaching decay.' (fn. 55) The rebuilding consisted of the present wide aisleless nave, 69 ft. by 45 ft., in the Gothic style of the period, and was finished in 1826. To this a chancel, 36ft. by 22 ft, with north vestries and south organchamber occupying to some extent the position of the two original chapels, was added in 1905–6, at which time also the whole of the building was restored, the tower arch opened out, and benches substituted for the old square pews.


Plan of Broughton Church before 1823

The chancel and nave being modern are without antiquarian interest, except that six sculptured stones from the old church are built into the external wall of the organ-chamber on the south side. (fn. 56) These consist of (1) a boar's head with the initials T.B.; (2) arms of Redmayne and initials G.R.; (3) I.H.C.; (4) arms of Singleton and the initials R.S.; (5) arms of Barton and initials T.B.; and (6) clawed foot and ivy leaf. (fn. 57) The chancel is a good example of modern Gothic work, (fn. 58) contrasting sharply with the nave, the windows of which are tall, narrow single lights. The nave roof is of one span, covered with slate, and has a flat plaster-panelled ceiling.

The tower, which is 13 ft. 3 in. square inside and built of gritstone, has diagonal buttresses of seven stages, a projecting vice in the south-east corner and an embattled parapet with the stumps of angle pinnacles. On the string course below the parapet on the south side area four-leafed flower and the date 1533, which probably gives the year of the building of the tower, and on the vice the string bears the initials B.G. The stages are unmarked externally by string courses, and on the north and south sides the walls are quite plain except for the belfry windows, which are of three lights under a pointed head without tracery, but with external hood mould. The west doorway, which has moulded jambs and head, was opened out in 1905–6, and the window above, which is of three lights with traceried head and hood mould, was likewise restored, the lower part, which had before been built up, being opened out. There is a clock on the.west side, and on the north buttress facing east are the initials T.B. on either side of a shield, (fn. 59) and in a similar position on the south buttress a shield with the Singleton arms. The tower arch is of two chamfered orders dying into the wall at the springing, and above it the lower part of the weathering of the old pointed roof is visible under the modern ceiling. Until 1905–6 the tower was separated from the nave by a wall 5 ft. thick, the removal of which revealed on the south side the half-octagonal respond of the old nave arcade. In the rebuilding of 1826 the floor of the church seems to have been considerably raised, the floor of the present nave being 2 ft. 4 in. above that of the tower, from which there is an ascent of five steps.

The font, which stands in the north-west corner of the nave, is a massive circular Norman bowl 2 ft. 8½ in. in diameter and 18 in. high, hewn out of a sandstone boulder, with a half-round moulding at the bottom. The font was turned out of the church in 1826 to make way for one of alabaster, but was discovered at a cottage in Barton in 1889 and restored to the church. The bowl is supported by a modern shaft.

There are preserved in the church an old stoup, (fn. 60) an octagonal stone mortar, a piece of oak 6 ft. long carved with the vine pattern belonging to one of the screens in the old church, a mediaeval chest and a Jacobean oak communion table, while in the vestry is a smaller chest dated 1666 with various initials and fleurs de lis hinges. The organ has a good 18thcentury case, and there is a brass chandelier dated 1817. Against the west wall of the nave north of the tower is a fragment of a memorial stone.to Roger Langton of Broughton Tower, who died at Chester in 1714, and was buried in the now demolished church of St. Bridget in that city. (fn. 61)

There is a ring of six bells, cast in 1884 by Mears & Stainbank. (fn. 62)

The silver plate consists of two chalices inscribed 'Capellae de Broughton Sacrum 1782', and on the foot 'The gift of the Reverend Samuel Peploe Arch Deacon of Richmond & Vic. of Preston', but without other marks than [H] thrice repeated; a set of two chalices, two patens and a flagon of 1851, purchased by subscription in that year, and a bread-box of 1906. There are also two pewter flagons given by Archdeacon Peploe in 1732.

The registers begin in 1653–4.

On the south side of the churchyard are the steps of the churchyard cross, now surmounted by a modern sundial, the plate of which is dated 1816 and bears the names of the vicar and churchwardens. The steps, which are three in number and square on plan, are of coarse gritstone and . are carried on a solid rubble foundation going down a considerable depth. The stocks, which stand outside the churchyard wall near the west entrance, were restored in 1902, one of the old stone posts being replaced. They are not, however, in their original position.

Advowson

Though the building, as stated, existed from an early time, there are few records of it. (fn. 63–4) In the 16th century it was often called a church, its status being that of parochial chapel. Its ornaments and bells were sold at the Reformation, (fn. 65) but the building seems to have been retained in use for service. (fn. 66) The patronage descended like that of the vicarage of Preston until 1867, when Sir Henry de Hoghton sold it to John Bretherton of Leyland; the purchaser gave it to his brother William, who became vicar in 1872, and whose representatives are now the patrons. (fn. 67) In 1650 the stipend was £40, paid out of sequestrations, (fn. 68) and therefore ceasing at the Restoration. The Langtons endowed it with £20, and in 1717 the income was £34. (fn. 69) In 1774 an augmentation was obtained from Queen Anne's Bounty. (fn. 70) The present value is given as £250. (fn. 71) A parish was assigned to it in 1878. (fn. 72) The chapelry was formerly reputed to include the three townships of Broughton, Barton and Haighton. The following have been curates and vicars (fn. 73) :—

oc. 1368–96William de Erlesgate (fn. 74)
1441Henry Broughton
1515Evan Wall (fn. 75)
1530Henry Helme (fn. 76)
1548–65Roger Charnock (fn. 77)
oc. 1597John Marton (fn. 78)
oc. 1610— Witton (fn. 79)
oc. 1622— Lomax (fn. 80)
1626Peter Addison, B.A. (fn. 81)
1628Roger Farrand (fn. 82)
1650James Knott (fn. 83)
1661John Winckley
oc. 1674–1714William Wood (fn. 84)
1721William Charnley, B.A. (fn. 85) (St. John's Coll., Camb.)
1727John Starkie
1732Joseph Cowper, M.A. (T.C.D.)
1761John Hunter (fn. 86)
1774Randal Andrews, M.A. (fn. 87) (Worcester Coll., Oxf.)
1801George Charnley (fn. 88)
1810Hugh Hodgson
1817William Dixon
1872William Bretherton
1886Samuel Edward Collinson, L.Th. (Durh.) (fn. 88a)

There was in the 15 th century an oratory, St. Mary's, at Fernyhalgh, (fn. 89) but this fell into decay, and was not used after the Reformation. (fn. 90)

A school was founded in 1527 by Lawrence Stodagh. (fn. 91)

As a large proportion of the people adhered to the old religion at the Reformation the Roman Catholic worship survived during the time of proscription. (fn. 92) Bank Hall, as above stated, was a missionary centre for a long time, (fn. 93) and our Lady's Well at Fernyhalgh is said to have remained a place of pilgrimage. (fn. 94) In 1685 Hugh Charnley gave the site of the well in trust for the mission there and a housechapel was built. This remained in use till 1793, when the present church of St. Mary was built a quarter of a mile away. (fn. 95) The Rev. John Daniel, last president of the seminary at Douay, was born at Durton. (fn. 96)

It appears that a school was secretly kept up in connexion with this mission from about 1650; it was known later as Schola Sanctæ Mariæ ad fontem. (fn. 97)

The township gives its name to the Broughton Charitable Society, the annual meeting being held there. (fn. 98)

Footnotes

1 The Census Rep. 1901 gives 2,357 acres; the difference is probably accounted for by the detached portion within Woodplumpton.
2 Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xx, 174–6. Some have disappeared; those enumerated are the churchyard cross (steps remain), Daniel's Cross and Duxen Dean Cross on the northern boundary (base of latter remains), Durton Lanc (now destroyed) and Durton Greea Crosses, and Fernyhalgh.
3 Ibid.; near Broughton Church and at Fernyhalgh.
4 V.C.H. Lancs. i, 288a.
5 Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 430. Uctred's 'antecessores ' had held Broughton, apparently by the same service. His father may be Huck the reeve, living 1160–70; Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 47.
Uctred son of Huck also had land in Stainall; ibid. He is mentioned in the Pipe Rolls of 1171–7; Farrer, op. cit. 24, &c.
6 Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 52.
7 Farrer, op. cit. 131;' the increase of rent from Broughton for the whole year—51s. 8d.
8 The story is told Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 192, 226–7. King Henry had given the manor for life to Master William the queen's Sauser (Salsarius.) The manor was not liable to tallage.
In 1194–5 Theobald Walter sued Richard son of Uctred and Robert his brother for the whole town of Broughton, one plough-land, as part of his demesne, having been held by the king or his father in demesne. Richard said in reply that the moiety of the town was of his own demesne, held of the said Theobald by certain services which he was ready to perform. Robert had the other moiety; Coram Rege R. 5, m. 2 d.
William the Sauser received Broughton from the king in 1244; he had 8 marks of silver 'of his farm ' from William de Singleton in 1261 5 Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 50.
Richard and Robert, sons of Uctred, seem to have succeeded their father as early as 1185; Farrer, op, cit. 56. In 1205 Richard son of Uctred proffered 5 marks for having his serjeanty (of Amounderness and Blackburn), which had been taken into the king's hands; ibid. 204. In 1208 he proffered 10 marks for the restoration of the plough-land in Broughton; Abbrev. Plac. (Rec. Com.), 58.
Richard died in or before 1211, when his son Alan proffered 20 marks for livery of his father's estates in Singleton and Broughton, and for confirmation of his office of bailiff of Amounderness; Farrer, op. cit. 237–8. In 1212 Alan is found in possession of his serjeanties of Amounderness and Blackburn; but Broughton was in the king's hands, rendering 6 marks yearly; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 52, 134. He also held Bilsborrow in 1226, and portions of Freckleton and Whittingham in 1242; ibid. i, 140, 152. He died in 1244 holding these offices and lands, and leaving a son William who was the heir; ibid. i, 158, 160.
In 1245 Alice widow of Alan de Singleton came to an agreement with William de Singleton as to dower; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 92. She was marriageable in 1246, and the king had granted her marriage to William de Lancaster; Assize R. 404, m. 22.
Alan had perhaps a brother John, for John son of Richard de Singleton in 1261 eld 2 oxgangs of land; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 228. Alan had a second son named Richard, who perhaps became a canon of Cockersand; Final Conc, i, 103, 150. The family were benefactors of this house; see Cockersand Chartul. (Chet. Soc), i, 225–8, 264–5.
9 Final Conc, i, 119; concerning 40 acres of land.
10 Ibid. i, 141. Thirty acres were excepted, and these William warranted to Thomas de Singleton at the same time. The plaintiff was Hugh son of Richard de Stapleford. From other sources it is known that Alan was the son and heir of William; probably Thomas was another son. William son of Alan de Singleton, with the consent of Alan his heir, gave land in Bilsborrow to Cockersand Abbey; Ceckersand Chartul. i, 268.
In 1297 the vill of Broughton rendered 8s. to the Earl of Lancaster, and the tenants paid a further 10s. for having common in the forest of Fulwood; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 289.
11 Katherine widow of Alan de Singleton was in 1292 the wife of Thomas de Clifton, and claimed dower in lands in Broughton. One parcel had been granted to Master Robert de Singleton by William the father of Alan, and Alan had added some land in Whittingham; it was ordered that Master Robert should hold his land in peace, while Katherine should have an equivalent from the lands of Thomas the son of Alan; Assize R. 408, m. 23. A similar decision in her favour was given as to land held by Thomas son of Thomas de Singleton; ibid. In two other claims also Thomas the son and heir of Alan warranted the defendants— Nicholas son of Alan de Singleton and William de Singleton—and rendered dower to Katherine from his own land; ibid. m. 31 d.
At the same time William de Earlsgate was non-suited in claims against Thomas de Clifton and Katherine his wife, and against Nicholas son of Alan de Singleton; ibid. m. 76. This Nicholas again appears in 1295; De Banco R. 109, m. 70.
12 Compare De Banco R. 127, m. 119 d.; 131, m. 106 d.
13 Final Conc, i, 201. The descent is thus recorded in pleadings of 1334: Alan -s. William -s. Alan -s. Thomas -sister Joan, who married Thomas Banastre -s. William -s. Adam; Coram Rege R. 297, m. 27.
William son of Ellen de Broughton in 1308–9 released all actions, &c., to Sir William Banastre; Dods. MSS, cxlix, fol. 45 b.
14 Adam son of William Banastre in 1324 held the manor of Broughton by the service of 81., and had pasture in Fulwood for the cattle of his tenants (except in time of pannage) by paying fol.; Dods. MSS. exxxi, fol. 396.
In 1334 it appeared that the king had demanded a payment of £4. a year from the men of Broughton; Coram Rege R. 297, Rex m. 19 d. This probably referred to the right of pasture in Fulwood, for which 10s. was paid. The men of Broughton appear to have exceeded their rights, and in 1336 were fined £13 6s. 8d. for all transgressions; Whalley Couch. (Chet. Soc), ii, 373–4.
Thomas son of Adam Banastre held the town of Broughton, viz. one plough-land, in 1346, by the tenth part of a knight's fee and a rent of 10s.; Survey of 1346 (Chet. Soc), 50.
Lands in Dilworth, Broughton, Whittingham, Preston and Goosnargh were held by Edward Banastre in 1382, and inherited by his daughter Constance; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), i, 16.
In 1445–6 Richard de Balderston held Broughton by the tenth part of a knight's fee; Duchy of Lanc. Knights' Fees, bdle. 2, no. 20.
15 Broughton was included in the forfeited Harrington lands given to Thomas Earl of Derby in 1489; Pat. 4 Hen. VII. In 1513 it was stated that Thomas, late Earl of Derby, William Knowles, clerk, and others (apparently trustees) held the manor of Broughton of the king in socage by the rent of 8s.; Duchy of Lanc Inq. p.m. iii, no. 15. On the partition made in 1564 the manor of Broughton was assigned to Edward Earl of Derby; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 216, m. 10.
16 See the inquisitions of Edmund Dudley (1509), Thomas Radcliffe of Winmarleigh (1521) and his successors, and Alexander Osbaldeston (1544). The Balderston manors, &c., are grouped together, without any statement of the separate tenures.
17 Adam de Singleton occurs 1254 to 1286; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 192, 264.
Gilbert de Singleton died in or before 1326 holding lands in Broughton of Adam son of Sir William Banastre by the service of a rose and 1d. yearly. There was a messuage there, 50 acres of arable land worth 8d. a year each, a horse-mill (fallen down) worth only 10s. a year, a windmill (broken) worth the same, a little close called the Fernyhalgh worth 2s. Tenants at will held 47 acres of arable land paying 6d. an acre; and 3 acres of meadow rendered is. each. Gilbert had lands also in Freckleton, Warton and Great Plumpton. His son and heir Thomas was twenty-tut years old; Chan. Inq. p.m. 19 Edw. II, no. 67. Thomas in 1335 claimed the family manors against John son of Thomas Banastre as son and heir of Gilbert son of Alan de Singleton; De Banco R. 301, m. 42.
Thomas de Singleton was living in 1346, when he was called to warrant John son of Gilbert de Singleton; De Banco R. 346, m. 11; 347, m. 148 d. John seems to have had a son Thomas; ibid. 348, m. 427. Thomas son of Gilbert de Singleton had licence for his oratory at Broughton in 1349; Gillow, Haydock Papers 57. The same Thomas was a plaintiff in 1351; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. iiii. d.
Adam de Singleton in 1348 granted to Robert his son and Joan his wife and their heirs all the lands which Alice widow of John de Singleton and mother of the grantor had allowed Robert and Joan and a part of Threpmeadow. The remainders were to Nicholas the brother of Robert, to Robert and Thomas, grantor's brothers. Among the witnesses were Thomas son of Gilbert de Singleton and Richard de Singleton; Kuerden fol. MS. fol 387. The seal shows a cheveron between three roundels, with the legend + sigil. ade de singlkton. A Thomas son of Nicholas de Singleton occurs in 1396–7; ibid. fol. 191. Robert Singleton of Broughton occurs in 1422; ibid. fol. 383.
Sir Thomas Banastre in 1372 granted Robert son of Adam de Singleton and Alice his wife the lands, mills, &c., which had been held for life by Robert de Singleton the elder in Broughton and Whittingham, with the reversion of certain other lands held by Pernell the grantor's mother in dower; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 47b.
Nicholas de Singleton the younger in. 1377 secured lands in Broughton from John son of Adam Singleton of (Light)workhouses; Final Conc, iii, 1.
Nicholas son of Gilbert de Singleton had restored to him in 1405 various lands in Dilworth, Bilsborrow, Whittingham, Broughton and Thornton and part of the manor of Little Singleton, formerly the possessions of Sir Alan de Singleton, Nicholas being his next of kin and heir; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 38b, 39. Another Nicholas (son and heir of Thomas) appears in 1449, being described as ' of Warton'; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 12, m. 4b. Nicholas Singleton of Broughton and Margaret his wife occur in 1454; Kuerden MSS. iv, B 34.
The Preston Guild Rolls give many particulars of the families. Thus in 1397 Thomas son of Nicholas de Singleton was admitted to the freedom, paying 40s.; and in 1459 Nicholas Singleton of Brockholes and Richard his brother were among those enrolled by hereditary right; Preston Guild R. (Rec, Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), 6, 11. In the latter year James Singleton of Broughton, William and Brian his sons and James the son of William were also enrolled; ibid. 12.
William Singleton of Broughton had land called Fernyhalgh in 1483; the remainder was to Robert Singleton; Add. MS. 32107, no. 765. William Singleton died in 1490, leaving a son and heir Robert, aged thirty-eight; Towneley MS. CC (Chet. Lib.), no. 582. Robert and John Singleton were in the same year ordered to give reasonable dower to Agnes widow of William; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton, file 5 Hen. VII; Plea R. 70, m. 9. John Singleton was also son of William, and founder of the Chingle Hall family; see Whittingham.
Agnes, the widow of William, died in or before 1519, when her lands were granted to Thomas Wrightington during the minority of John Singleton the heir; Duchy of Lanc. Misc. Bks. xxii, 47 d.
There was another Singleton family holding lands in Chipping parish and also in Broughton Row and Ingol, which descended to Leyland and Tyldesley of Morleys in the parish of Leigh. In 1564 Thomas Leyland was found to have held his lands in Broughton and Ingol of the heirs of Richard Balderaton by 1d. rent, and in 1587 Edward Tyldesley held them by the same rent of Henry Earl of Derby; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 20; xiv, no. 10.
18 Towneley MS. HH, no. 1524.
19 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 59, 63. Lands in Broughton had been held for life by Margaret widow of Nicholas Singleton and Agnes widow of William Singleton. One Thomas Singleton had land in Fernyhalgh. Joan wife of Robert was one of the daughters of Edmund Lawrence; William, Henry and Thomas, younger sons of Robert and Joan, are named. The tenure of the manor of Broughton was (erroneously) said to be by the twentieth part of a knight's fee of the king as Earl of Lincoln, a rent of 6s. 8d. being paid. There was probably a confusion with the tenure of Warton.
See Dep. Keeper's Rep. xl, App. 542–3.
20 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iv, no. 70. There was a younger son Richard. Jane the widow married Arthur Standish, who after her death (1513) continued to take the profits of the manor, &c. This led to disputes with the heir; see Fishwick, Preston, 251–3, where the depositions are printed.
21 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 15. This was a traverse of former inquisitions, and corrects the tenure previously recorded.
In 1508 a certain Robert Singleton and Margaret his wife, widow of William Balderston, had an estate in Broughton; ibid. iv, no. 13.
22 Ibid, v, no. 45. The disposition of the estates made by John Singleton is recited in full. It provided for 80 marks to advance the marriage of his sister Elizabeth and £20 to be distributed in deeds of charity. The tenure of the manor was recorded as the tenth part of a knight's fee.
23 Ibid, xxvi, no. 56. Henry Singleton, brother of Thomas, was still living, holding a messuage in Sharoe and land in Durton, given him for life by their father Robert. Elizabeth widow of Henry Singleton of Fernyhalgh is named in a lease of 1594, in which Richard son of William Singleton of Killinsough is also named; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xiv, 68.
24 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no. 29. It recites the provision made for Richard the son and his wife Joan daughter of Thomas Cowell; also for Brian brother of Robert Singleton.
25 Ibid, x, no. 16.
William Singleton had an estate in Broughton and Goosnargh in 1563; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 25, m. 161. The will of Anne widow of William Singleton of Broughton (1565) is printed in Wills (Chet. Soc. newser.), iii, 132.
26 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 17. Edward Singleton granted to Andrew, a younger son, three messuages in Broughton for life and one in Lightworkhouses in Broughton, and made provision for other sons—William, Richard and George. The place-name Durton is given 'alias Urton alias Overtowne.
It is possible that two of the sons became priests. Dr. William Singleton, educated at Douay, was sent on the English mission in 1590, but was arrested and banished in 1606. He died in 1620 at Liege. Richard Singleton entered the English College at Rome in 1583, being then seventeen years old; he became a Jesuit and died in 1602, having petitioned to be sent on the English mission. See Foley, Records S. J. v, 997, 1008. An undated return of the latter part of Elizabeth's reign reports ' Mr. Singleton, a Jesuit, at Mr. Singleton's of the Tower'; Gillow, Haydock Papers, 59, quoting S. P. Dom. Eliz. clxxxv, 85.
Thomas Singleton made a settlement of the manor of Broughton and lands in Broughton, Preston and Warton in 1586; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 48, m. 295.
27 Fishwick, Preston, 257–8.
28 Piccope MSS. xiv, 68. A large number of deeds relating to the estate are given ibid. 67–75; they range from 1583 to 1810. Thomas Singleton, Edward his son and Thomas son of Edward were burgesses of the Guild of 1602; Preston Guild R. 55.
29 Piccope MSS. xiv, 67; a lease by Edward Singleton of Broughton Tower to Henry Birches of Cadeley of 4 acres called Mowbank. From an agreement of 1598 it appears that Edward married Grace daughter of Thomas Bradley of Arnside.
30 Named in Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 137. He was son of Edward; see pedigree in Fishwick, op. cit. 254–5.
31 Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 86, m. 46. The deforciants were Thomas Singleton, esq., Anne his wife, John Massye, esq., Thomas Singleton of Scales, Cuthbert, George and Thomas Singleton and Grace Singleton, widow. The estate was the manor of Broughton, with messuages, windmill, dovecote, lands, &c., in Broughton, Urton alias Durton, Fernyhalgh, Fulwood, Haighton and Cadeley, with certain small tithes.
Among the Roman Catholics killed while fighting for the king in the Civil War were Captain George Singleton, Captain Thomas Singleton (Newbury)and Lieutenant William Singleton (Marston Moor); Challoner, quoting Castlemain, Cath. Apology.
In 1666 William Singleton of St. Martin's-in-the-Fields, son and heir of John Singleton of York (will 1644), and others told to John Farnworth of Euxton and Ralph Farnworth of Preston tenements called Church House in Broughton, Sharoe House, &c.; Piccope, loc. cit. 69.
32 For deeds see ibid.; for pedigree, Fishwick, op. cit. 258–9. Roger Langton died in 1644. His son William, Recorder of Liverpool, was a member of the Presbyterian Classis in 1646, and represented Preston in Parliament from 1645 to 1653; Baines, Lancs, (ed. Harland), i, 228; Pink and Beaven, Parl. Repre. of Lancs. 152. Dying in 1659 he was succeeded by his son William, who in 1664 recorded a short pedigree; Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), 173. In 1678, in conjunction with Elizabeth his wife, William Langton made provision for his younger brothers, John, Richard, Roger, &c. Jane, the father's widow, was living. A messuage in Sharoe was sold which had formerly been occupied by Henry Charnley and Elizabeth his wife; Piccope MSS. xiv, 70.
William the younger died in 1680 and his son Roger in 1714. This Roger, described as of Chester, bequeathed all his lands in Broughton and Durton to his cousin William Langton of Liverpool, merchant. He names his uncles Richard and Thomas, also William Clayton, his partner in sugar works; ibid. 74. In 1715 a settlement of the manor of Broughton, &c., was made by Richard Langton and William his son and heir-apparent; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 273.
William Langton in 1732 bequeathed the manor to his sister Jane, and she in 1733 made a new settlement of it, with lands also in Broughton and Cheetham near Manchester, at the same time petitioning the Lord Chancellor for protection from the schemes of her niece Mary daughter of Roger Langton and niece and heir-atlaw of the said William. She stated that William Langton had in 1732 started for Scarborough for the benefit of his health, but died at Ripon, where he made his will. Mary Langton was waiting till Jane's death to dispute the will on pretext of unsound mind and defect of evidence for its validity and to claim the estate; Piccope MSS. xiv, 71–2. In Mar. 1735 Jane Langton, spinster, acquired a rent of £10 settled by William Langton on Mary wife of Stephen Butcher; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 313, m. 35.
33 It appears that she was seventy years of age at her marriage; Fishwick, op. cit. 260. Lawrence Rawstorne and Agnes his wife had the manor in 1742; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 326, m. 143.
34 See the account of Hutton.
35 Piccope MSS. xiv, 75. Broughton Tower and 102 acres of land were sold for £11,500 to James Rothwell, who also bought the small tithes, a private chapel belonging to the estate, and the timber. The rest of the estate was sold to the school trustees for £14,500.
36 Thomas son of Thomas de Ingolhead granted to three of his children—Edmund, Helen and Joan — 40 acres each in Broughton; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 171.
Cecily widow of Thomas de Ingolhead in 1310–11 claimed dower in Broughton against Henry the Marler; De Banco R. 184, m. 107. The heir was Richard son of Thomas; ibid. 192, m. 89 d.
Thomas de Hale and Maud his wife in 1352 claimed a messuage, &c., in Broughton against William de Bolron, Robert son of Adam de Singleton and others. Maud was daughter of Joan (daughter of Thomas) de Ingolhead by her second husband Matthew de Abram; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 2, m. vi.
37 Richard Blundell of Preston made a feoffment of 40 acres in Broughton in 1395–6; Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 171. The family continued to hold lands in the township, and in 1546 John son of Richard Blundell granted William Blundell a rent of 8s. 8d. from Ingolhead and Tulketh Bank; Harl. MS. 2112, fol. 100/141.
38 Roger Blundell sold (as stated) his messuages and lands in Ingolhead occupied by Thomas Eccleston; Add. MS. 32106, no. 639. This was confirmed by John son of William Blundell and cousin and heir of Roger in 1492; ibid. no. 174. Lands in Broughton are named in later Hoghton inquisitions, but the tenure is not recorded; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xiv, no. 26, &c.
39 Richard Singleton of Ingolhead occurs in 1380; Final Conc, iii, 7. A later Richard was burgess in the Guild of 1459, William Singleton and Thomas his son in that of 1542, Thomas Singleton and his sons John and Edward in 1562; Preston Guild R. 11, 19, 27, &c.
John Singleton died in 1588 holding Ingolhead Hall, &c., of the Earl of Derby by the rent of a pair of white gloves and 1d.; his heir was his son Thomas, aged thirteen. His will recited in the inquisition names his wife Ellen (who survived him), sons Thomas, Robert, James and Henry; brothers Edward and William, sister Anne, brother-in-law James Browne; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 48.
One Henry Singleton died in 1614 holding lands in Broughton of the king, partly in socage and partly (Fernyhalgh, Sharoe and Durton) by the hundredth part of a knight's fee. John his son and heir was fourteen years old; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 9–11.
In the Guild Rolls of 1642 and later appears a family named Beesley of Ingolhead. See Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxviii, no. 62; the tenure it not stated.
40 See the account of this family. After the main portion of the Brockholes estate had been sold, Bank Hall in Broughton and some lands in Brockholes, &c., were retained by the heir male William son of Thomas Singleton of Scale, which Thomas was brother of the Robert who died in 1525. Robert's estate in Broughton was held of the heir of Robert Banastre by a rent of 3d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 64. In 1556 the Bank Hall estate was held by the same rent of Edward Earl of Derby, John Osbaldeston and William Radcliffe; ibid, x, no. 1.
William Singleton of Bank Hall died in Dec. 1573 holding the capital messuage and other lands, &c., in Broughton of the Earl of Derby by a rent of 5s. His widow Ellen continued to reside there. The heir was his son Thomas, two years old. There are also mentioned Thomas the father of William, Ellen wife and Richard brother of Thomas the father. The other estates were in Brockholes (Littlewoodhey), Whittingham, Ribchester, Newsham, Woodplumpton, Scale and Quemmore; ibid, xii, no. 34. A later inquisition (xii, no. 30) states the tenure of Bank Hall differently, viz. of the queen at of her Duchy of Lancaster by knight's service. William Singleton adhered to the Roman Catholic religion and was imprisoned at Chester under Queen Elizabeth. He was released in 1570, ordered to conform and to confine himself to his house at Brockholes; Fishwick, Preston, 287 (quoting the Bishop of Chester's Liber Correct.).
Thomas Singleton the son and heir came of age about 1593, when he inherited land in Whittingham and Brockholes from a kinsman, Thomas Singleton; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 50.
Bank Hall is said to have been sold about 1625 (Fishwick, op. cit. 318), but this branch of the Singleton family continued to hold Scale.
41 Gillow, Haydock Papers, 60.
Richard Woodcock, who died in 1633, at Walton-le-Dale, held the moiety of the Bank Hall in Broughton and lands there; his son James was twenty-five years old; Duchy of Lanc Inq. p.m. xxix, no. 63.
Edward French and Anne his wife in 1651 asked for an examination of their title to Bank Hall, the estate being sequestered for the recusancy and delinquency of Woodcock and Crook. Anne was daughter of James, eldest son of Richard Walton, who had married Elizabeth, eldest daughter of William Garstang of Broughton, which William had purchased the estate; Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 2909. If true this would carry the sale of Bank Hall into the 16th century.
42 Hugh Crook was living at Bank Hall in 1632, paying his fines for recusancy. George Crook, a missionary priest, succeeded to this, moiety, and served the mission till his death about 1710; the estate then descended to his nephew John Crook, the succession being thus given: John -s. George -s. John -s. John -s. John, M.D. (d. 1869); Haydock Papers, 60–2.
George Crook of Broughton, who died in 1653 or 1654, had two-thirds of his tenement sequestered for recusancy. His widow Anne and sons George and John are named; Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 87. Others of the family, John Crook of Preston and William Crook of Durton, also suffered for their religion; ibid. 88–9.
George Crook was of Bank Hall in Broughton in 1724; in 1732 he married Janet Blackburne of Westby, she being daughter and co-heir of Richard Blackburne of Upper Rawcliffe. Her son and heir in 1771 is named as George Crook; Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 286, 246, 390, from rolls at Preston.
43 Fishwick, Preston, 318.
44 Information of the late Mr. Wilson. Bank Hall is now a farm-house. The Wilsons in making alterations in the old hall 'discovered a secret chamber adjoining the room formerly used as a chapel, in which were a tabernacle, chalice and other church furniture. These they handed over to Dr. Crook'; Haydock Papers, 62.
45 Lawrence Starkie, who has occurred in the account of Chipping, held lands in Preston, Broughton and Haighton, and on his death in 1532 was succeeded by his daughters, Margaret wife of William Banastre and Etheldreda wife of Humphrey Newton; the former died in 1542, leaving a son Wilfrid, under age; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. ix, no. 21. The Newtons appear to have sold their estate in Broughton, Sharoe and Urton at various times; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdles. 12, m. 123; 20, m. 44; 24, m. 40. See also Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.), ii, 353.
Peter Mason of Lathom in 1612 held land in Broughton of the king by the hundredth part of a knight's fee; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 214–15. Robert Bhmdell of Ince in 1615 held land by the two-hundredth part of a knight's fee; ibid, ii, 28. Richard Ayrie in 1616 held by a like service; ibid. 43. George Rogerson of Preston in 1620 held lands in Sharoe and Ingolhead of Roger Langton as of his manor of Broughton; ibid. 189. Thomas Gregory of Woodplumpton in 1622 held of the king by knight's service; ibid, iii, 403.
The following had lands in Durton or Urton, but the tenure is not recorded: Richard Dilworth, 1627 (John, son and heir); John Robinson of Whittle, 1628; and Thomas Slater, 1633 (William, son and heir); Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxviii, no. 11; xxvi, no. 20; xxvii, no. 47. William Slater was dead in 1654, and two-thirds of his lands being under sequestration for his recusancy, the guardian of his son and heir Thomas petitioned for leave to prove title; Cal. Com. for Comp. v, 3200.
Thomas Shireburne of Heysham held his land in Broughton of Sir Gilbert Hoghton; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), 1083.
46 In addition to cases already given are the following:
Robert Adamson's lands were sequestered for recusancy and delinquency. He held under a lease for three lives from Thomas Singleton of Broughton Tower, and the lives having expired in 1651 William Langton claimed possession, as son and heir of Roger Langton, who had purchased from Singleton; Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 10.
Edward Daniel of Durton, recusant, in 1653 petitioned to be allowed to contract for his sequestered estate; Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 3175.
James Hollinhead and George Wilkinson, sequestered recusants, made similar petitions; ibid, v, 3186, 3179.
Thomas Glave's estate had been sequestered for a like reason, and in 1651 Margaret and Anne Glave, widows, with another widow and three fatherless children, all 'conformable,' in their poverty desired restoration; ibid, iv, 2910.
John Taylor's estate was also under sequestration for recusancy. He was dead, and the leaseholders under his son Christopher desired to show their title. The claim was allowed, but 'the debts due to delinquents and two-thirds of those due to recusants' were to be paid to the use of the State; ibid. v, 3207.
47 Their names were John Arkwright, Robert Arkwright, William Arkwright, William Blakey, Richard Boys of Sharoe, Richard Cardwell, James Carter of Durton, John and Thomas Daniell of the same, Edward Daniell of Catterall, Elizabeth Gradwell of Fernyhalgh, widow, Thomas Greenalls, Edward Harrison, Richard Parkinson and Ellen Walmesley, widow; Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Nonjurors, 95–6, 104, 105, 136–8.
For the Daniel family, already mentioned several times, see Gillow, Bibl. Dict, of Engl. Cath. ii, 11.
48 The prior claimed 4 acres, &c., in 1333 against Richard de Myerscough; De Banco R. 293, m. 322.
49 Some early 14th-century fragments found when the present chancel was erected are now in the churchyard on the west side of the tower. This probably indicates a rebuilding of or alteration to the original 12th-century church.
50 The plan is on the faculty to rebuild. See next page.
51 The inscriptions and arms in these screens are given in Fishwick, Preston, 134–5.
52 Information from old inhabitants to present vicar. It is described as having been similar to Goosnargh Church, only lower at the eaves.
53 On the plan it scales less, but the plan does not appear to be quite accurate, the dimensions of the tower not strictly agreeing with those of the actual building.
54 These measurementt are taken from the plan.
55 Whitaker, Richmondshire, ii, 433–4. He says 'a few remnants of a more ancient fabric appear in the walls of the present fabric, which is evidently a work of the time of Henry VIII, since when very little attention seems to have been paid it, excepting to secure the handsome tower from felling by strong; iron bars.' This was in 1822. On the oak roof of the chancel was the date 1537.
56 In the 1826 rebuilding they were placed in the east gable.
57 Four of these are illustrated in Fishwick, Preston, 136.
58 The architects were Austin & Paley of Lancaster.
59 The shield is difficult to decipher, but probably bore the Barton arms.
60 Found in 1893 in a ditch near the church.
61 The stone was cast aside when St. Bridget's was pulled down, but was recovered in 1888 and placed in Broughton Church by the late Mr. William Langton of Manchester.
62 Two of the former bells, which were used in the catting of the present ring, bore the dates 1632, and another 1681. The treble was inscribed 'See. Petre O P N'. The other bells had 'Jesus be our spede, 1632'; 'G.W. W.W. I.C. 1681'; Gloria in excelsis Deo, 1632'; Fish wick, op. cit. 135, but his description is not very clear.
63 –4 Geoffrey, chaplain of the hermitage of Broughton, is named in a deed of 1377, but he may then have been dead; Kuerden fol. MS. fol. 256.
In 1441 the priest at Broughton was witness to a local charter; Fishwick, Preston, 129. In 1460 a sentence of divorce was read in the church; ibid. The chapel of Broughton is named in the 1520 lease of Preston tithes quoted in the account of the church.
65 Raines, Chantries (Chet Soc), 277, 280.
66 The same curate was there from 1548 to 1565 at least Nothing is known of the next thirty years.
67 Fishwick, op. cit. 140.
68 Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), 146. In 1651, however, the minister's ' maintenance' did not exceed 20s. a year, and £50 was allowed from the tithes of Leyland, sequestered from James Anderton, 'papist and delinquent'; Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 103,111.
69 Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc), ii, 467. Richard Cross had given £100, and the vicar of Preston had usually paid £4 a year, but this had been refused by Vicar Birch. It is now paid by the vicar of Preston.
70 Fishwick, op. cit. 143.
71 Manch. Dioc. Dir.
72 Lond. Gaz. 5 Apr. 1878.
73 This list is taken mainly from Fishwick, op. cit. 140–4, where many details of the incumbents will be found.
74 Towneley MS. DD, no. 1776,1786.
75 In depositions of 1515–16 he is called 'parish priest' of Broughton; ibid. 253.
76 Named in a Subsidy Roll, c. 1530; T. C. Smith, Preston Ch. 20.
77 Occurs in the Chester visitation lists of 1548 and 1562, and in 1565 is named in the will of Anne Singleton; Wills (Chet. Soc. new ser.), iii, 133.
78 The will of a John Marton, 'curate of Broughton,' was proved in 1597; Fishwick, Preston, 141.
79 He was 'stipendiary minister,' but 'no preacher'; Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 9.
80 Visitation lists at Chester.
81 Act Bk. at Chester.
82 'Commonly called Sir Roger'; Fishwick, op. cit. 141. This is a late use of the clerical 'sir.' His name heads the list of ' Protesters' at Broughton in 1641.
83 Named in the Ch. Surv., &c., in 1650–1.
84 His initials are on the bells of 1681. His name is in the Bishop of Chester's visitation list in 1691, as curate and schoolmaster, showing letters of orders 'ut in 1674.' He is also named in the will of Roger Langton, 1714; Piccope MSS. xiv, 74. According to Fishwick (op. cit. 142) he was deprived of his curacy in 1678 but reinstated.
85 He and his two successors were nominated by the vicar of Preston. Charnley had spent some time at Trinity College, Dublin, before he entered St. John's, Cambridge, in 1718, being then twenty-one years of age. He was afterwards vicar of Brayton and Selby, 1727– 48; R. F. Scott, Admissions, iii, 14, 318.
In 1726 the Sacrament was administered four times a year by the vicar of Preston; Visit, returns. With Charnley begin the nominations recorded at the Chester Diocesan Registry.
86 He became curate of Pilling. He and his successors were nominated by the Hoghton family.
87 Vicar of Ormskirk 1780–1800; retained Broughton.
88 Master of Broughton School, 1771.
88 a Mr. Collinson has afforded considerable assistance to the editors.
89 In 1454. Nicholas Singleton of Broughton and Margaret his wife had licence for a chaplain to celebrate divine service in the chapel of Fernyhalgh and in the oratory in their manor-house; Kuerden MSS. iv, B 34.
There is evidence for its use for mass in the time of Henry VII, but the roof is stated to have fallen in by 1515; Fishwick, op. cit. quoting Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Edw. VI, lxi, R 2; Depositions Hen. VIII, x, S 5. The chapel had land at Warton.
On the meaning of the word see N and Q. (Ser. 4), x, 260.
90 Raines, Chantries, 259, &c. The chapel had one bell, seized by Edward VI. William Kenyon, who had a grant of the lands belonging to it in 1553, made complaints about various tenants; Duchy of Lanc. Plead. Edw. VI, xxxii, K 2.
91 Gastrell, Notitia, ii, 468; End. Char. Rep. (Preston, 1905), 18.
92 William Cowell of Preston about 1590 found Edmond Haworth, priest, 'saying mass after the popish manner in a loft at the east end of the house of one Dilworth, a widow, in the village of Broughton, about 10 o'clock in the morning, attired in massing apparel, wearing a vestment, alb and stole, and with a mass book, a super altar, chalice containing wine and a paten, with other massing furniture.' The widow, her sons and daughters and one or two more were present. The informant, terrified with cries of 'Strike, strike ! kill, kill ! now or never !' and bribed by a gift of seven nobles promised to keep silence, restored the paten and chalice he had 'partly taken,' but immediately gave information to the mayor of Preston and others; T. C. Smith, Preston Ch. 21, from Raines MSS. xxii, 156–8.
93 In 1718 John Crook 'had heard George Crook, a reputed Romish priest, say prayers after the Romish way' at Bank Hall; Payne, Engl. Cath. Rec. 155.
94 Christopher Tootell, the priest in charge about 1700 and later, in an account written in 1723 gives the legend of the well. A merchant in distress in a storm in the Irish Sea promised to do some work of piety if he escaped, and heard a voice telling him to seek a place called Fernyhalgh and build a chapel by the spring; which, after long search for the place, he performed. Tootell states: 'The ancient devotion of neighbouring Catholics did not fail with the old chapel, but . . . continued in their constant assembling and praying together at the well on Sundays and Holy Days and especially on the feasts of Our Lady, even in the severest times of persecution.' This was interrupted at the futile Jacobite rising of 1715 and the severities which followed it, the chapel being plundered; but prayers were resumed in 1717. There is a notice of Chr. Tootell in Gillow, Bibl. Diet, of Engl. Cath. v, 548.
95 Gillow, Haydock Papers, 58. There is preserved there an ancient chalice inscribed 'Dosus Maguir Rex Fermanneme fi. fe. MCCCCC xxix,' supposed to have belonged to the pre-Reformation chapel.
96 When the college was destroyed in the French Revolution the president was imprisoned for some time. He returned to England and was made president of the new college at Crook Hall, Durham, in 1795, but resigned in order to protect the interests of the college at Douay, and died in Paris in 1823. He wrote a short work on Church history. There are notices of him in Dict. Nat. Btog. and Gillow, Bibl. Dict, of Engl. Cath. ii, 13–15.
97 Ibid, iii, 145–8. In the first half of the 18th century it had a noteworthy teacher—Alice Harrison of Fulwood.
98 It was founded in 1787, and large numbers of Lancashire Roman Catholics are members. Masses are said for them at death, and a distribution of the surplus funds is made each year, each member giving his share to some poor person.