TREALES, ROSEACRE, and WHARLES
Treueles, Dom. Bk.; Turuel, 1242.
Rasaker, Raysakur, 1249.
Quarlous, 1249; Warlawes, Werlows, 1286.
Treales is the southern half of this composite
township, the northern half being divided between
Roseacre to the north-west and Wharles to the southeast. The respective areas of the three portions are
1,998, 937 and 1,165 acres, or 4,100 in all. (fn. 1) The
population numbered 492 in 1901. The greater
part of the surface is flat, but in the south is some
higher land, the 100 ft. above sea level being attained;
but this declines somewhat sharply to the brook which
forms the boundary between Treales and Kirkham.
From Kirkham a road goes north through Treales,
standing on the higher land mentioned, and then by
Bolton Houses and Cross Hill to Wharles, at which
hamlet it divides, one branch going north-east to
St. Michael's and the other north-west, by Roseacre and
Sasswick House, to Elswick. There are some side roads
and cross roads. The railway from Preston to Blackpool runs through the extreme south of the township.
The soil is clay; wheat is grown, but three-fourths
of the land is pasture.
There is a parish council.
In 1066 TREALES, a member of
Earl Tostig's fee, was assessed as two
plough-lands. (fn. 2) Afterwards it is found to
be a member of the Weeton fee, held successively by
Boteler and Stanley, and the lordship has descended
to the present Earl of Derby. (fn. 3) ROSEACRE and
WHARLES were probably improvements from the
waste (fn. 4) ; it does not appear that they were ever
considered to be manors. (fn. 5) The township is scarcely
ever named in the records, but in 1228–9 a mandate
was issued to the sheriff respecting Lewe de Treales,
who had found ancient coins while ploughing. (fn. 6)
Thomas Firth (Styth) of Wharles in 1631 was
fined £10, having refused knighthood. (fn. 7) Sir Edward
Osbaldeston in 1637 had a small rent from Treales. (fn. 8)
Some ' Papists' of Treales and Roseacre registered
estates in 1717. (fn. 9)
Christ Church, Treales, for the worship of the
Church of England, was built in 1855. The vicar
of Kirkham is patron. (fn. 10)
The Presbyterians had a licensed meeting-place in
Roseacre in 1689, (fn. 11) but it does not seem to have been