||Cross Slack was in the same neighbourhood.
||The Census Rep. of 1901 gives the
following acreages for Lytham and St.
Anne's respectively: Land, 2,453, 3,341;
inland water, 11, 1; tidal water, 300,
402; foreshore, 775, 4,633. St. Anne's
includes part of Marton.
||Gregson, Fragments (ed. Harland), 23.
||Whittle's Marina (1829) contains
an account of Lytham composed in 1799
by Captain William Latham; this speaks
of the place as then 'only advancing into
fame,' but mentions a tradition that there
was formerly a 'town of some note . . .
between the present church and the
sandhills, in a direction towards the
||Baines, Lancs. Dir. (1825), ii, 53.
||Ibid. See also the account in Porter's
||The terminus of 1846 stands some
distance to the east of the present station.
||Baines, op. cit. ii, 55; 'the pool in
Lytham, situated about a mile east of the
village, is nearly formed into a natural
dock, large enough to contain a fleet of
men-of-war, and there is a small graving
dock at its northern extremity where
vessels are built and repaired. This pool
belongs to Mr. Clifton and at the summer
assizes at Lancaster in 1824 he established
his claim for anchorage on vessels loading
and unloading there.'
||Baines, Lancs. (ed. 1870), ii, 506.
||A market was authorized by an Act
10 & 11 Vict. cap. 251.
||The baths and assembly rooms were
opened in 1862.
||Porter, Fylde, 453.
||a Statistics from Bd. of Agric. (1905).
||By a special improvement Act 10 &
11 Vict. cap. 251, amended by later
||Loc. Govt. Bd. Order 31813. In
1897 a further order was made (no. 36320)
extending Lytham and St. Anne's to
include the foreshore.
||These works were established by the
local board in 1850.
Hist. of Lytham (Chet. Soc.), 20–4;
the names are given. A Subsidy Roll of
1546 is printed ibid. 16; another of
1640–1, ibid. 31–4; and a list of subscribers to a 'voluntary present to his
majesty' in 1661, ibid. 17–19.
||a Visit, returns at Chester.
V.C.H. Lancs, i, 288a.
Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc.
Lancs. and Ches.), i, 46.
||Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 346 (from the
Charter R. 130, of 1335); Richard son
of Roger, with the consent of his wife
Margaret and of his heirs, gave in pure
alms all his land of Lytham, with the
church of the same vill, and all appurtenances, in order that the monks might
build a house of their order there. The
bounds were described as beginning on the
west side of the cemetery of Kilgrimol,
where the benefactor had raised a cross,
and thence westward to the sea. From
the same cross the boundary went east
along the Cursed mere beyond the great
moss and the Suinebrigg brook as far as
Ballam; from Ballam across the moss,
which had been divided between the
grantor and John Count of Mortain (his
lord) as far as the east side of Estholme
carr, and thence to the water coming
from Birchholme between the said carr
and Bryning carr; then following the
water south to the middle point between
Estholme and Couburgh, returning westward and going round the moss southward
to the Pool beyond Swartesalt, and the
sand by the sea; thence by the thread of
the Ribble and the sea back to the
starting-point. Islands, sands and all
rights were given as fully as possible.
These bounds seem to have been preserved down to the present, with little
if any variation.
Another charter, perhaps earlier, gives
the bounds in reverse order; Lytham D.
at Durham, 1, 2 a, 4 ae, Ebor. From this
it is clear that the 'islands' were in the
Count John showed his good will not
only by confirming the grant, but also by
remitting the thegnage rent of 8s. 8d.
due from Lytham, and after he became
king he ratified these acts; ibid. 130,
137; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, loc. cit.; Cal.
Rot. Chart. (Rec. Com.), 88. The original
charter is at Durham, 2, 4 ae, Ebor. no. 20.
There was an inspeximus of the charter
in 1319; Cal. Pat. 1317–21, p. 404.
From deeds preserved at Durham it
seems that Evesham Abbey had had a
grange at Lytham; Lytham D. 12, 2 a,
4 ae, Ebor. &c.
||See the account of the religious
houses in V.C.H. Lancs. ii, 107–10.
||Pat. 2 Mary, pt. ii, the church and
hall formerly belonging to Durham. The
Prior of Durham had in 1539 granted a
lease of the manor to Thomas Dannett
for eighty years at a rental of £48 19s. 6d.,
and this seems to have been confirmed by
the Crown in 1549, with a reduction of
the rent due; D. at Lytham. Dannett
was to pay 3s. 4d. to the king for wreck,
wife and strays, and 40s. to the Earl of
Derby as steward's fee.
Sir Thomas Holcroft died in July
1558 holding the manor of Lyham of
the Crown by knight's service. His son
Thomas was a year old; Duchy of Lanc.
Inq. p.m. x, no. 13.
In 1586 Thomas Holcroft had a dispute
with William Clifton as to waste called
Westmoss; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec. Com.),
iii, 173, 187.
||Cuthbert Clifton (afterwards made a
knight) came of age in 1603, and purchased Lytham in 1606 from Sir Richard
Molyneux and Frances his wife; Pal. of
Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 70, no. 60; Piccope
MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 50. How the
vendors obtained the manor has not been
as certained. In the year of purchase
Cuthbert Clifton made a settlement of the
manor, rectory of the church, view of
frankpledge, free warren and fishery, lands,
&c.; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 70,
no. 40. In 1609 Gilbert Sythworth
had a rent of £24 out of the manor
from Cuthbert Clifton and Anne his
wife; ibid. bdle. 76, no. 34. In 1612
the manor appears among the other
Clifton properties, and continues to do so
in later settlements, &c.; ibid. bdle. 80,
no. 24; 156, m. 247, &c.
The tenure of the manor was declared
to be by knight's service in 1634; Duchy
of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvii, no. 43.
||E. B. Chancellor, Lives of British
Architects, 251. There is a view of it in
Twycross, Mansions of Engl. and Wales
(Lancs. ii, 33).
||In 1272 a declaration of the bounds
between Kelgrimoles and Layton was
made by Ranulf de Dacre, the sheriff,
and other arbitrators. The old cross on
Cross How was the starting-point; from
it the boundary line went west to the
sea, and east to another cross set up by
the arbitrators on the road from Lytham
to Layton, and thence through the middle
of the great moss between Marton and
Lytham on the north side of Miggylund
as far as Swinebridge Brook; but Kelgrimoles and the Northhows were to be
common for both Layton and Lytham;
2 a, 4 ae, Ebor. no. 14.
In 1291 the Priors of Durham and
Lytham, Alan a monk at Lytham and
Robert de Millum chaplain there had to
answer Robert de Holland and Margery
his wife as to land alleged to be in
Westby, the defence being that it was in
Lytham; Assize R. 407, m. 3. Next
year a similar dispute between the Prior
of Durham and William de Clifton resulted
in a division; Assize R. 408, m. 25.
There was a further dispute in 1350;
De Banco R. 360, m. 23. Pasture land
in Holmecarr was in 1347 declared to be
in Lytham, not in Kellamergh as claimed
by Adam and John de Sharples; Assize
R. 1435, m. 15.
In July 1351 the Prior of Durham
proved his right to 100 acres of moor and
marsh against Robert de Beetham, Eleanor
his wife, Thomas son of Gilbert de Singleton, Gilbert his son and Isabel his wife,
Richard son of Richard Banastre and
others; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1,
m. 4. The prior was in 1356 defendant
to a claim put forward by William Boteler
of Warrington and Sir John Boteler;
ibid. 5, m.12.
In 1530 the Botelers asserted their
boundary claims in a violent manner,
throwing down an ancient boundary cross,
another cross and the image of St. Cuthbert, and threatening the priory itself,
being held in check only by two monks
who brought the sacrament out, for the
honour of which they desisted. They
were ordered not to interfere in the Hawes,
but might use their common in Kilgrimosse as before; Duchy Plead. (Rec.
Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 206–10. A
renewal of the dispute has caused some
further information as to the priory lands
to be recorded. The Priory of Lytham
stood at the end of the church; the
Kilgrimoles churchyard had been (so it
was said) 'worn into the sea.' One
Cursed mere was near the priory; another
was in the moss. The name was given
because many beasts had been drowned
therein. The decision was in the prior's
favour; ibid, ii, 9–19.
Plac. de Quo Warr. (Rec. Com.), 386.
The king recovered this right, and in
1295 transferred it to his brother Edmund;
Cal. Chart. R. 1257–1300, p. 461.
Survey of 1346 (Chet. Soc), 44.
||Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton. 20 Aug.
13 Hen. VII; the claims were view of
frankpledge, with waifs and strays, assize
of bread, wreck of sea, sok, sak, team,
&c.; freedom from common services and
amercements, pontage, &c.; also free
warren in the demesne lands in Lytham.
||The Prior of Durham in 1327
granted all his waste of Estholme Carr in
Lytham to John de Bradkirk and Alice
his wife, with remainder to John their
son for his life only. A rent of 4d. was
to be paid for each acre newly approved;
corn growing on the land was to be ground
at the Lytham mill, and suit of court was
to be performed as done by other tenants
of Lytham and Estholme; Lytham D. at
Durham, 4 and 5, 2 a, 4 ae, Ebor.
From pleadings of 1344 it appeared
that John de Bradkirk had had a charter
for Estholme Carr from the Prior of
Durham, and by his wife Alice had three
sons, John, Edmund and Adam; the last,
as heir of his brothers, surrendered to the
prior; Assize R. 1435, m. 39. In the
status domus for 1345 a sum of £7 11s. 8d.
was put down for this plea; 5 marks
were given to Adam de Bradkirk.
In 1246 the Prior of Durham demised
for life 24 acres in the marsh of Edricholme to John Sauener of Lytham and
Adam son of Roger the Priest for 8s.
rent; 2 a, 4 ae, Ebor. no. 7.
||Richard Cardwell in 1572 claimed a
tenement in Lytham by descent against
Richard Salthouse, whose title was derived
from Thomas Holcroft; Ducatus Lanc.
Robert Clark died in 1599 holding,
besides other property, a messuage, &c., in
Norcross in Lytham, but the tenure was
not recorded; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m.
xvii, no. 44. Small plats were held by
Thomas Jollice and Thomas Bamber of
Layton; in those cases also no tenure
was given. John Walsh of Layton in
1624 held 3 acres in Lytham of the king
by the three-hundredth part of a knight's
fee; Towneley MS. C 8,13 (Chet. Lib.),
The profits of the portion of the estate
of William Harris of Lytham sequestered
for recusancy were in 1607 granted by
the Crown to Sir Richard Coningsby;
Cal. S. P. Dom. 1603–10, p. 383. James
Beesley, a recusant, had two-thirds of his
estate sequestered by the Commonwealth
authorities before 1653; Cal. Com. for
Comp. iv, 3174.
||In 1311 corn in the granary and
grange from the demesne .ind the tithe
amounted to 18 qrs., in seed 10 qrs.;
[other corn] 2 qrs., in seed 1 qr. 2 bushels;
barley 24 qrs.; beans and peas 18 qrs.,
which were considered enough for seed
and for the food of the house; oats
200 qrs., also sufficient.
The stock of oxen for the ploughs was
24; cows 22, with 2 bulls; younger
cattle, 36; sheep and ewes, 78; lambs,
36; pigs, &c., 14, with 2 boars.
Money in hand and due was considered
enough for the creditors.
In later years much more detailed
statements were compiled; see those
printed in Hist, of Lytham (Chet. Soc),
73–93, from the Durham records.
The site of the priory with the lands
attached was valued at £8 8s. in 1535;
the rents, &c., in Lytham amounted to
£22 11s., in Estholme £3 7s., Medholme £7 2s. 8d., Pillhouses and Bankhouses 12s. 11d., other lands 42s.; in all
£43 8s. 7d.; Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.),
||Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath.
Nonjurors, 94, 106, 147. Their names
were William Snape, James and John
Harrison, Robert Bennett, Henry Fletcher,
Ellen Smith and Roger Charnley.
||Quoted by Fishwick, Hist, of Lytham,
||As far as is known neither plan nor
sketch has been preserved; ibid. 38.
||There is an illustration from a watercolour drawing, ibid. 37.
||Capt. Latham, Desultory History of
Lytham, in Whittle, op. cit. 43.
||Thornber, Hist. of Blackpool, 341.
||Terrier of 1778, quoted by Fistwick, op. cit. 45.
||The Rev. Walter Ruthven Pym was
appointed assistant curate at Lytham in
1880 and served till 1882.
Lancs. Parish Reg. Soc. Publ. xxxiii
(1908). Transcribed by Henry Brierley.
||The terrier of 1778 has a note to
this effect: 'The church yard fence is
very ordinary, being composed of earth
which falls in frequently and is impossible to be repaired without loss to the
churchyard. There are stones enough
left from the rebuilding of the church
which would repair the worst of it, but
that the parishioners are against it. I
mean the Papists and some who are set
on by them.'
De admirandis B. Cuthberti virtutibus
(Surtees Soc. i), 280–4.
||A Roger son of Wlfiet occurs in
1184–5; Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 56.
||This story was written after the
foundation of the priory, for the old altar
was 'outside the circuit of the new
monastery,' yet nothing is said of the gift
of the church to Durham.
||Cum lumine pervigil oravit.'
||These miracles should be compared
with a slightly varied series (ibid. 138–
48) said to have happened at 'Lixtune,'
a place 'in Coupland' according to the
heading, but 'in the furthest part of
Cheshire, on the very edge of the seashore,' according to the text. The place
had a little church, founded in honour of
St. Cuthbert, which though but a mean
country chapel was a baptismal church.
A boy who climbed to the roof, damaging
the crazy walls in doing so, in order to
destroy a crows' nest, found his hand
clenched so that the nails pierced through.
A great man of the district, whose face
was horribly distorted by some illness, on
appealing for the saint's help was cured,
and in thanksgiving pulled down the old
church, vimine fenoque contectam, rebuilt
it of stone, and bountifully endowed it.
The only son of another great man of the
district was carried to the church almost
dead and made whole. A wayfarer going
into the church to pray first thrust his
spear into the ground of the cemetery, and
a thief seizing it could neither move it
nor release his hand from it until the
owner came. The priest's steward saw
a little sparrow fly down from the church
roof and caught it, though it took refuge
by the church door; and he wandered
about the cemetery all the afternoon
unable to get out. These and other
stories were told to Reginald by the
priest of the place and his neighbours
who made a pilgrimage to Durham in
||Roger de St. Edmund, Archdeacon of
Richmond (c.1200), confirmed to God and
St. Cuthbert the grant of the church of
Lytham made by Richard son of Roger of
good memory; Lytham D. at Durham,
2 a, 4 ae, Ebor. no. 8. Morgan, another
archdeacon, also confirmed it 'for the
maintenance of their monks dwelling at
Lytham'; no. 9.
||This grant may not have been
needed for any supposed dependence on
Kirkham; it appears to be the release of
one of the Shrewsbury monks, Robert de
Stafford, for whom Richard son of Roger
had asked in order to make him head of
the monastery he proposed to erect at
Lytham; ibid. no. 11.
||Ibid. no. 28.
||The Archdeacons of Richmond
appear to have made several inquiries as
to the position of the removable Prior of
Lytham. In 1347 it was formally
declared that the priors might, as had
been accustomed, by themselves or by
secular chaplains hear the confessions of
the parishioners, absolve them, minister
the sacraments to them, &c., as deputies
of the Prior of Durham it would seem;
2 a, 4 ae, Ebor. no. 18. The Priors of
Lytham were instituted by the archdeacons or their deputies just as rectors
of the church would have been; ibid. no.
About 1265 the priory had a staff of
three, the following attesting a charter:
S. the prior; S. his socius; and Simon
the chaplain; ibid. 3 a, 2 ae, 4 ae, Ebor.
Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 309,
327. The goods of the Prior of Lytham
were valued at £11 6s. 2d.
A testimony by Hugh, cantor of York
and archdeacon, names the payment of
an ancient due of 6d. called chrism pence
(denarii crismatis), and says that a further
payment of 1d. to the synod or to the
fabric of the mother church of York had
been refused in the time of Thomas the
elder (1070–1100), formerly archbishop.
The chrism pence were remitted by
Archbishop Thurstan; Lytham D. at
Durham, 2 a, 4 ae, Ebor. no. 6.
Inq. Nonarum (Rec. Com.), 37. The
reduction was accounted for by 20s.
altarage and 20s. loss by the destruction
wrought by the Scots.
Valor Eccl. ut sup.
||Lytham D. at Durham; printed in
Hist. of Lytham (Chct. Soc), 29.
||Thomas Dannett by the lease of
1539 was bound to provide an able and
honest priest to celebrate divine service;
Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 38.
Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 9.
Visit. P. at Chester Dioc. Reg.
Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc.
Lancs, and Ches.), 156. An allowance
of £40, increased to £50, was decreed in
1646 out of the lay rector's sequestrated
tithes; Plund. Mins. Accts. i, 40, 45.
Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc), ii, 446–7.
There were two churchwardens.
||A board in the church stated that
the Countess Dowager Gower gave £150
in 1765 and Queen Anne's Bounty
£200; this was invested in the purchase
of Ryheads in Goosnargh in 1768.
About £1,300 was given between 1801
Manch. Dioc. Dir.
||Visit. Lists at Chester. Thomas
Primett, priest, of Kirkham, in 1564 bequeathed his velvet cap, &c., to George
Lorimer; Richmond Wills (Surtees Soc.),
||From his presentment of recusants
in the Consistory Ct. papers, Chester.
||Visit, papers, Chester.
Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.),
i, 69; Visit. Lists.
||Ibid, i, 124; he was at Bispham in
1622; ibid. 69. The will of Robert
Brodbelt of Bispham, clerk, 1674, is printed
in Fishwick's Bispham (Chet. Soc), 43.
He may have been a Royalist, as he does
not appear during the Commonwealth
Plund. Mins. Accts. i, 40, 141. He
had been curate and schoolmaster of
Kirkham; Misc. (Rec. Soc), i, 68, 124.
||In the Visitation List of 1691 he is
stated to have been ordained in 1663; he
may have been at Lytham the whole time.
He was the 'minister' in 1678 when a
collect on of £1 3s. 8d. was made for the
rebuilding of St. Paul's Cathedral, Sir
Thomas Clifton and Mr. James Threlfall
heading the list with 5s. each; N. and Q.
(Ser. 5), x, 164. He was 'conformable'
in 1689; Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App.
iv, 229. He bequeathed £2 used for the
school, the date being given as 1702.
||In 1707 the minister did not wear
the surplice; Visit, returns.
||Nominated by the University of
Cambridge. The vacancy was caused by
the death of the preceding incumbent;
Chester Dioc. Reg. In 1725 the sacrament was administered thrice a year.
||Nominated by Alexander Osbaldeston
of Preston, who also nominated the next
incumbent. Went to Bispham.
||Buried at Lytham, 1758; Hist, of
Lytham (Chet. Soc.), 61.
In 1745 the holy sacrament was administered five times a year; Visit,
||Nominated by Abigail Clayton of
Lark Hill, Blackburn, as widow and
executrix of Thomas Clayton, executor
of Alexander Osbaldeston.
||Nominated by John Clayton of
||He was nominated by Thomas
Clifton. He died in 1872; there is a
memorial tablet in the church, subscribed
||Hon. Canon of Manchester, 1891.
||Porter, op. cit. 446.
||A district was assigned to it in
1877; Lond. Gaz. 26 Oct.
||Porter, op. cit. 445.
||Ibid. 439; the original small chapel,
holding about thirty worshippers, was
opened about 1820.
||Nightingale, Lancs. Nonconf. i,
||In tliis is a memorial brass for W. J.
Porritt, who is regarded as the founder of
||As usual there are practically no
records of the 17th century. A list of
priests in charge from about 1615, compiled by Mr. Gillow, is printed in Hist, of
Lytham (Chet. Soc), 47–54.
||It is now a lumber-room.
||a Misc. (Cath. Rec. Soc), v, 188–90.
||b Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.), xviii,
218. There was a priest at the hall
in 1712; Tyldesley Diary, 37. The
Jesuits had charge of the mission, and
m 1701 Ralph Hornyold alias Gower was
in charge with a salary of £10. In 1750
there were 200 general confessions and
230 'customers,' while in 1793 there
were 250 Easter communicants and 75
persons were confirmed; Foley, Rec. S. J.
v, 320–5. About 1794 a Benedictine
succeeded the Jesuits, but remained only a
short time; Trans. Hist. Soc. (new ser.),
xiii, 166. The secular clergy have been
in charge since 1803.
||There is a description in Whittle,
Lytham, 10, 11.
Liverpool Cath. Annual. There is a
cemetery with a mortuary chapel at
End. Char. Rep. for Lytham, 1900.
The original endowments, though small,
were invested in land near Blackpool
which has become valuable.
||The income is derived from a piece
of meadow in Freckleton, called Hanning's
||An old charity founded by Thomas
Cookson, for books for poor children, is
supposed to have been merged in the