Townships
Claughton

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1912

Pages

324-330

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Townships: Claughton', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 7 (1912), pp. 324-330. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53249&strquery=claughton Date accessed: 20 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CLAUGHTON

Clactune, Dom. Bk.; Clacton, 1184; Clagton Clahton, 1253; Claghton, 1284.

Local pronunciation, Clyton.

Lying between the Calder on the north and the Brock on the south, this township, sometimes called Claughton-on-Brock, has an area of 3,785½ acres. (fn. 1) The population numbered 561 in 1901. At the western end the surface is somewhat undulating; the hall with its park lies near the centre; further east the ground steadily rises, till about 740 ft. above sea level is attained at the border of Bleasdale. There is no village or considerable hamlet, Matshead on the Brock having a few dwellings. The north road from Preston passes through the western end; from it another road goes east until near the Brock; then turning north-east and north, according to the boundary, passes into Bleasdale at the northernmost point. The London and North-Western Railway and the Lancaster Canal cross the west end of the township.

The soil is clay, and the land is nearly all in pasture. There was formerly some linen manufacture, (fn. 2) now there are file-cutting works.

The place was thus described about forty years ago: 'For sweetness of position, richness of isolation, and wealth of umbrageous beauty, for sunny hillsides and shady dells and peaceful glades, for smiling farmsteads and magnificent woodland scenery and rippling brooks, and all that makes country life a joy and a talisman, commend us to Claughton. . . . To anyone anxious for a day's serene pleasure, for a sweet and pure and unalloyed rural treat, for scenery deliciously pastoral and air delightfully fresh, we could not recommend any place in this part of the country half so excellent.' (fn. 3) Many Preston people spend their holidays there. Around the hall there is a park of about 600 acres in extent.

The pedestal of an ancient cross remains at Charnock House (fn. 4) ; three other cross sites are known. (fn. 5)

Manor

Before the Conquest CLAUGHTON was held by Earl Tostig as part of his Preston fee, and was assessed as two ploughlands. (fn. 6) Afterwards it formed part of the barony of Penwortham, (fn. 7) and for a time seems to have descended with Warton in Kirkham; thus Roger le Boteler was concerned in it in 1184–5 (fn. 8) and Richard le Boteler in 1208. (fn. 9) The immediate tenants appear to have been numerous, four—each holding a fourth part— being named in 1208, (fn. 10) and very quickly the mesne lordship of the Botelers (fn. 11) and their successors was forgotten, and the lords of Claughton were said to hold of the Lacys or of the Earls and Dukes of Lancaster. (fn. 12)

The subdivision of the manor makes it difficult to trace the descent. One moiety was held by the Singletons and their successors—Banastre, Balderston, &c. (fn. 13) The other moiety was acquired by the Brockholes family in the time of Edward II and later; ultimately they acquired the whole manor, though the steps are not clearly made out.

It has already been stated (fn. 14) that Adam de Brockholes inherited Byrewath in Bonds, holding it till his death in 1290. His son Roger, under age, married Nichola daughter and heir of Isolda wife of John de Rigmaiden. (fn. 15) Roger was dead in 1311, but he left two sons, John and Adam, and a division of the inheritance seems to have been made, John receiving lands in Garstang, while Adam had the manor of Brockholes, near Preston, from which their surname was derived. (fn. 16) John de Brockholes held land in Claughton, (fn. 17) but it was his son Roger who in 1338 received from William de Tatham, rector of Halton, the 'manor' of Claughton purchased from Adam son of Richard de Claughton, also a number of other tenements including Langscale, now Landskill, in Catterall. This grant was charged with the maintenance of a chaplain in Claughton or at Garstang Church, a stipend of 66s. 8d. being payable. (fn. 18)

Roger de Brockholes appears to have been killed in December 1341. (fn. 19) His widow Ellen died in December 1357 holding a messuage and land in Byrewath of the king by knight's service and by rendering ¾d. yearly for castle ward; also a messuage, 80 acres of land and 10 acres of meadow in Claughton, Bilsborrow and Catterall of the heir of William de Tatham in socage, and other land in Tatham of the said heir. Her heir was Roger son of Roger de Brockholes, aged fifteen. (fn. 20) The younger Roger, whose age might appear understated (fn. 21) —for in July 1342 he was contracted to marry Ellen daughter of Sir Adam de Clitheroe (fn. 22) —occurs in various ways down to 1390. (fn. 23) In 1377–8 he released to Nicholas de Brockholes all claim in the manor of Brockholes. (fn. 24)

The descent of the manor or moiety is clearly attested (fn. 25) down to Roger Brockholes, who died in 1496 holding the manor of Heaton, near Lancaster, with lands in Tatham, Claughton, Bilsborrow and Catterall, those in Claughton being held of the king of his honour of Lincoln. (fn. 26) John Brockholes, the son and heir, was fourteen years of age. His eldest son Cuthbert died before him, (fn. 27) and he was succeeded by another son Thomas, who died in 1567 holding the manors of Claughton and Heaton, various lands, &c., the estate in Claughton and Bilsborrow being said to be held of the queen as of her duchy by the hundred and twenty-eighth part of a knight's fee. Thomas Brockholes, the son and heir, was six years old. (fn. 28) He made a settlement of the manor of Claughton in 1597, (fn. 29) and recorded a pedigree in 1613, when his son John was twenty-seven years old. (fn. 30) Thomas died in 1618 (fn. 31) and his son John in 1643, (fn. 32) when John's son Thomas, thirty years of age, succeeded. He married Mary daughter and heir of John Holden of Chaigley.


Brockholes of Claughton. Argent a cheveron between three brocks sable.

The family remained Roman Catholic at the Reformation, appearing on the recusant rolls from the time of Elizabeth. (fn. 33) They took the king's side in the Civil War, and the estates were sequestered (fn. 34) and then declared forfeit by the Parliament. (fn. 35) As in other cases, the estate was recovered for the owner, and in 1665 Thomas Brockholes registered a pedigree as 'of Claughton.' (fn. 36) He was succeeded in 1668 by his son John, who in 1717 registered his estate as a 'Papist.' (fn. 37) Two of his sons joined the Jacobite rising in 1715, but appear to have escaped prosecution; the elder of them, John, died before his father, so that the younger, William, succeeded. (fn. 38) He died without issue, and, his three brothers having been priests, (fn. 39) the manors and lands went to his nephew Thomas Hesketh of Mains in Singleton, (fn. 40) who took the name of Brockholes. On his death in 1766 they passed to his brother Joseph, (fn. 41) and then to a third brother James; but as all died without issue they went in 1783, by Joseph's disposition, to William Fitzherbert of Swinnerton, (fn. 42) who also assumed the name of Brockholes, and dying in 1817 was succeeded by his son Thomas Fitzherbert-Brockholes. He died unmarried in 1873 and was succeeded by his nephew James, who in 1875 was followed by a second cousin William Joseph, son of Francis Fitzherbert of Swinnerton, who took the surname Brockholes, and is the present lord of the manor, (fn. 43) residing at the hall. No courts are held, nor are there any records of them.

CLAUGHTON HALL (fn. 43a) stands on rising ground facing west and commanding an extensive view over the Fylde. It is a plain modern stone mansion, three stories in height, erected in 1816–17 but incorporating part of an older house probably of 17th-century date. The entrance is on the north side, by a pillared porch, and on the west front the distinctive features are two large bow windows, one at each end, going up the full height of the building.

Among the ancient families who appear to have held fractions of the manor were those of Claughton, (fn. 44) Myerscough, (fn. 45) Fegherby or Fetherby, (fn. 46) represented by Haldleghs and Kuerden in 1355, Stamford or Stanford (fn. 47) and Whittingham. (fn. 48) The last-mentioned had Royalist representatives in the Civil War time. (fn. 48a) The Hollands of Denton (fn. 49) had an estate at Matshead which was in 1564 sold to Barton, (fn. 50) who were succeeded by Whitehead. (fn. 51) Butler of Rawcliffe, (fn. 52) Singleton of Chingle Hall (fn. 53) and others of the neighbouring landowners had possessions in Claughton. (fn. 54) Among the smaller local holders appear Parkinson, (fn. 55) Wilkinson (fn. 56) and others. (fn. 57)

HECHAM (fn. 58) or Heigham, called a manor, and Dowanshargh (fn. 59) were estates that gave surnames to the owners.

The Knights Hospitallers (fn. 60) and the canons of Cockersand (fn. 61) held lands in Claughton.

Several of the inhabitants, in addition to Brockholes, had their estates sequestered for political or religious reasons under the Commonwealth. (fn. 62) A list of proprietors in 1689 has been printed. (fn. 63) A number of 'Papists' registered estates in 1717. (fn. 64)

The commons were inclosed in 1730. (fn. 65)

The chapel implied in the grant of William de Tatham in 1338 stood on Chapel Croft, and was still existing in the time of Elizabeth. (fn. 66) It may have been closed when the chantry in Garstang Church was founded. The principal family and many of the people remaining attached to Roman Catholicism at the Reformation, it is probable that mass was said in the township even in the time of Elizabeth and onwards. There was a large number of convicted recusants in Claughton in the time of Charles II. (fn. 67) From about the Restoration the succession of priests is on record; the list begins with Thomas Walmesley and includes Roger Brockholes, 1707–43; John Barrow, 1766–1811 (fn. 68) ; Robert Gradwell (afterwards bishop), 1811–17 (fn. 69) ; and the late Mgr. Robert Gradwell, 1860–1906. (fn. 70) A priest's house, its upper room being used as a chapel, was built about 1682, (fn. 71) and the present church of St. Thomas the Apostle was built in 1794; it has since been enlarged and richly adorned internally. (fn. 72) A mediaeval chalice brought from Mains Hall is preserved and in use here. The vestment chest and a small oak tabernacle that belonged to the Ven. Thomas Whitaker, who had ministered in the district and was executed at Lancaster in 1646, are also preserved.

Footnotes

1 3,788 acres, including 39 of inland water; Census Rep. 1901.
2 Lewis, Topog. Dict. A cotton factory was built about 1791 on the Brock; Preston Guard. 24 May 1884.
3 Hewitson, Our Country Churches, 286.
4 Lancs, and Ches. Antiq. Soc. xx, 199.
5 Shepherd Hill, Langtree's and Catterall House; ibid. 199, 200.
6 V.C.H. Lancs. i, 288a.
7 Lancs. Inq. and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 36.
8 Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 56, 60; Roger desired that Richard and Robert, sons of Uctred, should have their tenure of two plough-lands in Claughton defined: was it in fee or only for a term? The tenants were of the Singleton family.
9 Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Chei.), i, 33. Gilbert Fitz Reinfred and Hawise his wife (she was daughter and heir of William de Lancaster II) obtained from Richard le Boteler an acknowledgement that the plough-land he himself held was the fee and right of Hawise, and that the other plough-land, held (? lately) by Richard son of Uctred and Robert de Stanford, was also her right.
10 Ibid. Hawise was to receive the services due from these tenants, who were Adam de Claughton, Michael de Claughton, Walter de Winwick and Richard de Stanford. Here nine plough-lands were reckoned to a knight's fee.
11 As in the case of Warton this passed to the lords of Woodplumpton. Quenilda Gernet in 1252 held two plough-lands in Claughton of Edmund de Lacy Earl of Lincoln, but received nothing from it except wardship and relief; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 190. Ralph de Beetham in 1254 held the two plough-lands, but received nothing because others had been enfeoffed freely by the fee of a hauberk; ibid, i, 202. Nicholas de Eaton held Quenilda's right in 1311–12; ibid, ii, 21.
12 In 1297 Claughton rendered 2s. 2d. to the Earl of Lancaster, probably for castle guard; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, i, 290. In 1324 the lord (or lords) of Claughton held the manor of Alice de Lacy (as of the fee of Penwortham) by the sixteenth part of a knight's fee and rendering 2s. 2d. a year for caatle guard; Dods. MSS. exxxi, fol. 39b.
In 1346 Queen Isabella paid the 2s. 2d. rent for two plough-lands in Claughton; Survey of 1346 (Chet. Soc), 44. The tenants' names were thus recorded in 1355: Thomas Banastre, Robert de Haldleghs, Henry de Kuerden, Richard de Towneley and John de Stamford or Stanford, having the 128th part of a knight's fee which William de Whittingham formerly held; Feud. Aids, iii, 88. This return appears to be erroneous, but William de Whittingham had in 1323 held land in the township of Adam Banastre; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 154.
In 1431 Richard Balderston and John Brockholes of Heaton held the manor of Claughton by the fifth part of a knight's fee; Feud. Aids, iii, 95. In 1445–6 Richard Balderston was named as sole tenant; Duchy of Lanc. Knights' Fees, bdle. 2, no. 20.
13 The preceding note affords proof of this. William Banastre was in 1324 found to have died seised of a moiety of the vill of Claughton held of the Earl of Lancaster (as of the inheritance of Alice de Lacy) by the eighth part of a knight's fee and 2d. yearly. In the other moiety he held lands of the Hospitallers and Cockersand Abbey; Lancs. Inq. and Extents, ii, 160. The Banastre lands in Claughton are again mentioned in 1379; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Chet. Soc), i, 14, 16. In 1456 Richard Balderston was found to have held the manor of the king as of his duchy by 16d. rent; ibid, ii, 63.
The same estate is mentioned in the following century in the inquisitions after the death of Edmund Dudley, the Earl of Derby, Radcliffe of Winmarleigh, Sir Gilbert Gerard and Sir Alexander Osbaldeston.
The manor of Claughton was held by the Earl of Derby in 1600; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 62, no. 113. It was sold in 1602, with other estates, by the representatives of Ferdinando the fifth earl; ibid. bdle. 64, no. 44. For names of tenants, &, see Add. MS. 32108, no. 677–8.
14 In the account of Barnacre with Bonds. It does not appear that Adam had any land in Claughton.
15 Isolda occurs frequently in the story of the Rigmaidens of Wedacre, but her parentage is not given, nor is it stated how Nichola was her heir. Various details as to Roger and Nichola will be found in the account of Brockholes.
Roger de Brockholes acquired a messuage and land in Claughton from Godith de Myerscough; Brockholes of Claughton D. in the possession of Mr. FitzherbertBrockholes. Roger son of Adam de Brockholes and Nichola his wife in 1292 claimed a tenement in Wlgarheved and Garstang against John de Rigmaiden and Richard de Pleasington; Assize R. 408, m. 46 d. Nine years later (Michaelmas, 1301) it was stated that Roger, Nichola his wife and John their son were all under age; ibid. 419, m. 13. Nichola widow of Roger was living in 1344; ibid. 1435, m. 37 d.
16 See the account of Brockholes. In 1316 Nichola widow of Roger de Brockholes granted land in Garstang to John de Brockholes her son and Margaret his wife with remainder to John's brother Adam; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), B 171.
17 John son of John de Rigmaiden conceded to John de Brockholes the homages of certain tenants, among these being William de Tatham; Brockholes D. William son of Gilbert de Rigmaiden gave him lands at Turnhurst in Garstang for life; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, B 173.
In 1323 William de Tatham, then rector of Halton, granted various lands in Claughton to John de Brockholes; Brockholes D. From Final Cone. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), ii, 50 it appears that William in 1324 received them from John for life at the rent of a rose, and that Ralph de Stirzacre put in a claim. In 1327 John de Brockholes quitclaimed to Richard son of Walter de Claughton all right in the Priestridding in Claughton which Richard had had from William de Tatham in exchange for land in Dikounridding; Brockholes D.
John de Brockholes and Margaret his wife were defendants in 1325; De Banco R. 258, m. 467. Margaret widow of John in 1333 called Nichola widow of Roger de Brockholes to warrant; ibid. 294, m. 291 d. She and her son Roger were defendants in respect of a tenement in Garstang in 1336; ibid. 305, m. 339.
18 Add. MS. 32105, fol. 94; Langscale had been obtained from William de Southworth. A red rose was to be given to William and his heirs on St. John Baptist's Day. The chaplain was to say mass daily for the souls of William de Tatham and his kin, Eustace de Cottesbech and all the faithful departed. Should Roger die without heir the remainders were to John and Edmund brothers of Roger. It would appear from the grant that the Brockholes family were not the legal heirs of William de Tatham, and as land in Tatham was afterwards held by them it seems clear also that William was the owner of the estate and not merely a trustee.
The deeds show that William de Tatham had been acquiring lands in Claughton for many years. The following made grants to him: Adam son of Adam son of Bimme de Claughton (1 d. rent), John son of Thomas de Stanford (land in Grassyard in Towncroft), Robert son of Roger de Claughton, Robert le Ward (homage of John son of John de Bilsborrow), Godith daughter of John son of Walter de Myerscough (in Dereridding), Richard son of Walter de Claughton and others (in Priestridding), Richard son of Roger de Bilsborrow (rent of 14d. due from the Wederidding in Douaneshaigh Moss) and Adam son of Henry de Rowall (land in Catterall); Brockholes D. John de Brockholes attested several of the charters, which are undated. In 1311 Adam son of Richard de Claughton gave William de Tatham a messuage and land in Laufield in Claughton; in 1325 John son of William de Whittingham and Margery his wife gave him a water-mill and a fulling-mill, being Margery's dower; and Richard son of Patrick de Claughton gave rents and the sixth part of a mill, formerly belonging to Roger de Bilsborrow; ibid. In 1333 Adam son of Richard de Claughton and Maud his wife confirmed their grant; Final Conc. ii, 91. There are other charters in Towneley C 8, 13 (B 148, 242).
In 1324 Thomas de Stanford released to William de Tatham his right in the eighth part of the lordship of Claughton; Brockholes D.
In 1325 Roger son of Robert son of Ralph de Claughton gave a messuage, &c., to his father with reversion to John de Brockholes; C 8, 13, B 133.
William de Coucy in 1339 complained that Roger de Brockholes, William his brother and four Stirzacres had broken his close, &c.; De Banco R. 320, m. 449. William son of John de Brockholes was in 1343 sent to gaol for wounding, &c.; Assize R. 430, m. 20.
19 Ibid. m. 12 d.; William son of John de Bilsborrow and Adam his brother were implicated. In 1341 Roger de Brockholes had made a feoffment (perhaps in view of his marriage) of his manor of Claughton, with lands in Catterall, Bilsborrow, Haighton, Tatham and Garstang; Brockholes D. The widows Nichola and Margaret were living. In the same year Roger complained of assault; Coram Rege R. 319, m. 125.
20 Inq. p.m. 12 Edw. III (1st nos.), no. 12. The chaplain received 66s. 8d. from the estate as stipend.
21 In 1341 (i.e. before the father's death) Thomas de Holden and Margery his wife (widow of Robert de Claughton) claimed dower in Claughton against Roger son of John de Brockholes, John de Pleasington and John the Souter, and in the following year John de Pleasington called William brother and heir of Roger de Brockholes to warrant him; De Banco R. 327, m. 35; 333, m. 213.
This shows that Roger had been a posthumous son, and at his proof of age (1363) it was stated that he was born at Salesbury 10 August 1342; Dep. Keeper's Rep. iii, App. 208.
William son of Ralph de Stirzacre, as nephew of William de Tatham, who had died seised, claimed three messuages, &c., in Claughton and Bilsborrow in 1346 against Richard de Towneley and Ellen his wife. The defendants called Roger son of Roger de Brockholes to warrant them, but he was under age; Assize R. 1435, m. 31.
22 Final Conc. ii, 114; the remainders were to William son of John de Brockholes, John and Edmund his brothers, &c. These brothers put in their claim, as did Eufemia their sister.
Salesbury, where Roger was born, was a manor of the Clitheroe family, Sir Adam having died before 1342.
23 In 1356 Roger son of Roger de Brockholes acquired lands in Aighton, and in 1363 he made a feoffment of lands in Tatham; Brockholes D. In the latter year he appeared as plaintiff; De Banco R. 416, m. 383 d. In 1369, 1373 and 1375 he acquired certain lands and rents in Claughton, the names including White Carr, Alcocks Field, Myerscough Field and Dawfield; Brockholes D. The grantors were Henry de Kuerden and Isolda his wife, Joan daughter and heir of Henry de Fetherby (widow), John de Stanford and Robert de Pleasington, Richard son of William de Stirzacre. In 1390 Roger obtained land in Catterall from Robert Haneson de Stirzacre; ibid. In 1388 Roger acquired land in Claughton from John the Glover and Margery his wife; Final Conc. iii, 30.
24 Towneley MS. HH, no. 1889.
In 1420 Agnes daughter of Roger Brockholes deceased acknowledged the receipt of £10 from her mother Ellen; Add. MS. 32105, SS 689.
25 Roger's son John de Brockholes in or before 1387 married Katherine de Heaton, and so obtained the manor of Heaton in Lonsdale, which he granted to feoffees in 1407; Brockholes D. From that time Heaton seems to have been the chief residence of the family for about 200 years. In 1409 John son of Roger de Brockholes received lands in Claughton and Brockholes from John de Whittingham of Claughton; ibid. In 1431 (see note 12) he was recognized as joint lord of the manor of Claughton—the first official record of his status. In 1437 several family arrangements were made by him: an annuity of 5 marks to his son William; lands for life to his son Thomas by a second wife named Joan (Brockholes D.); Alcockfield to his son Robert, and to Isabel his daughter; C 8, 13, B 145, &; Add. MS. 32105, fol. 170b.
In the collection of deeds last referred to is a sworn testimony (1428) as to the inheritance of Sir Geoffrey Brockholes, whose daughter married at Colchester; ibid. fol. 173b. Sir Geoffrey is not known to have had any connexion with the Claughton family.
In 1438 and 1439 lands were settled on Thomas (son of Roger son of John) Brockholes and Elizabeth his wife in Claughton, Catterall, Garstang and Tatham; Brockholes D. John Brockholes had died somewhat earlier; the date of the writ of diem cl. extr. is given as 30 May 1437; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxiii, App. 37. In 1441 Roger his son received the manor of Heaton from the trustees; ibid.
Thomas Brockholes (son of Roger) in 1465 granted to Sir James Harrington the wardship and marriage of his son Roger, and in the following year Sir James gave Roger to be married to Ellen daughter of William Chorley; at the same time Thomas Brockholes gave her Byrewath in Garstang for life; Towneley MSS. C 8, 13, B 206, &c. Margaret widow of the former Roger was living in 1465, but seems to have been dead in 1466; Brockhole. D. Thomas Brockas holes and Roger his son in 1474 granted Galgate House, Walgrefe Close and Herldonsoe upon White Carr in Claughton to Ellen Dore for life; ibid. Thomas was dead in 1476, when his widow Elizabeth made an agreement as to her dower with Roger the son and heir; ibid.
26 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 73. Provision made for Ellen his wife and his five daughters is recorded, and a fuller statement of various settlements is contained in a later inquisition (ibid. no. 77). Roger Brockholes (of 1441) married Margaret; his son and heir Thomas was succeeded by his son Roger, who married Ellen Chorley, as above, and she survived him.
The wardship and marriage of John Brockholes were in 1500 granted to William Smith; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxix, App. 551.
27 In 1527 Cuthbert son and heir of John Brockholes was contracted to marry Margaret daughter of Thomas Rigmaiden; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, B 216. Twelve years later further arrangements were made as to the succession, Cuthbert and his wife being still alive; the remainders were to Thomas, younger son of John, Edward second son of Thurstan Tyldesley, and to Mary daughter of John Brockholes; ibid. B 161, 217–18. Cuthbert must have died soon afterwards, for in 1541 Thomas son and heir of John was engaged to marry Dorothy daughter of John Rigmaiden, or Mabel her sister if she should die; ibid. B 223.
The will of John Brockholes is dated 1546; ibid. B 224. He died shortly after, and livery was granted to Thomas in 1557; Add. MS. 32105, fol. 217; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxix, App. 551. A settlement was then made; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 201, m. 1.
28 Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 6; Margaret widow of Cuthbert was living at Hulme. The will of Thomas Brockholes is recited; Claughton was to be held for a term of years for the benefit of his daughter Elizabeth, only four years old, and then to his son Thomas. In default of issue the remainders were to the said daughter Elizabeth and heirs, to his sister Mary, another sister Katherine Kydde, to Robert Parker—all for life; and then to the next of kin of the name of Brockholes. The sister Mary had in 1541 married William Singleton of Brockholes; Brockholes D. The daughter Elizabeth was in 1580 contracted to marry John son and heir of Edward Braddyll; ibid.
Livery was granted to Thomas Brockholes in 1582; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xxxix, App. 551.
29 Brockholes D.
30 Visit. of 1613 (Chet. Soc), 31; the family is described as 'of Heaton.'
31 Lancs. Inq, p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 148–9. The manor of Claughton was stated to be held of the king as duke by the twenty-eighth part of a knight's fee; various lands in Bilsborrow, &, by the moiety of a knight's fee; and others in Garstang by the like service. The heir was the son John, aged thirtyone.
32 Pedigree of 1665; C 8, 13, B 230.
33 Gillow, Bibl. Dict, of Engl. Cath. i, 306. The two-thirds of Thomas Brockholes' estate sequestered for recusancy were in 1608 granted out by the Crown; Pat. 6 Jas. I, pt. xxi.
34 The papers in the case of the head of the family seem to have been lost, but the sequestration is evident from the record of his relatives; Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.), i, 243–50. John Brockholes, who died in 1643, left a widow Dorothy (who married Captain John Reines) and an infant son Augustine, to whom he assigned an annuity of £10, which was stopped before 1651. Another son, John Brockholes of Torrisholme, adhered to the forces raised against the Parliament and in 1649 applied for leave to compound. A cousin, Thomas Brockholes of Heaton, and his mother had their lands sequestered for recusancy and delinquency. This Thomas 'admitted at the beginning of the wars he had acted against the state, but soon seeing his error he subsequently did all he could in the parliamentary interest'; he had for two years been imprisoned for debt in the Marshalsea.
The will of Thomas Brockholes of Heaton (1638) is in C 8, 13, B 228.
35 The manors of Claughton and Heaton were sold in 1653; Royalist Comp. Papers, i, 249. Three of the name of Thomas Brockholes were in the act of sale of 1652—one of Chaigley and the others of Heaton—but none is described as 'esquire'; Index of Royalists (Index Soc), 42, 51.
36 Dugdale, Visit. (Chet. Soc), 58. His son John was then twenty years old. Two other sons were priests; Gillow, Bibl. Dict. of Engl. Cath. i, 308. The continuation of the pedigree may be seen in Fishwick's Garstang (Chet. Soc.), 242; Burke, Commoners, iii, 384–6. In 1699 a settlement of the manors of Claughton and Heaton was made by John Brockholes and John his son; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 243, m. 16.
37 Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Nonjurors, 141; the annual value was £522 19s. 1d.
38 Gillow, op. cit. i, 307. The will of John Brockholes of Claughton, dated 1718, in which year he died, is in Piccope MSS. (Chet. Lib.), iii, 200.
39 Of these Roger was the priest at Claughton and died in 1743; Thomas died in 1758, and Charles, a Jesuit at Wigan, in 1759, being the last of the male line; ibid.; Foley, Rec. S. J. vi, 454; vii, 87. In a recovery of the manors in 1739 the vouchee was Catherine Brockholes, spinster; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 551, m. 3. She was a daughter of John Brockholes by his second marriage and in 1739 married Charles tenth Duke of Norfolk.
40 The licence for the marriage of William Hesketh and Mary Brockholes was dated 1710; Brockholes D. Her sister Anne married Robert Davies of Gwysaney and in 1737 Mrs. Davies, as a widow, claimed the whole estate as next Protestant of kin; ibid. It appears that Thomas Brockholes had made a conveyance to Thomas Clayton and she probably thought the whole would be sold. Her husband's family intervened to prevent the claim proceeding; though Protestants they objected to profit by the penal laws. Her descendants are the representatives in blood of the old Brockholes family. See Burke, Landed Gentry under Davies-Cooke of Owston.
41 Joseph married Constant a daughter of Basil Fitzherbert and died in 1782. He made a feoffment of the manors of Claughton and Heaton in 1767; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 377, m. 297.
42 He was brother of the above-named Constantia. His elder brother Basil (d. 1797) was father of Francis (d. 1857) father of the present lord of Claughton.
43 Burke, Landed Gentry.
43 a There are three illustrations in Twycross, Lancs. Mansions, ii, 41. The building was barely finished in 1817 when Mr. Wm. Fitzherbert Brockholes died. It comprises the whole of the house except the offices and servants' rooms, which belong to the older building.
44 The fine of 1208 (cited above) shows Adam and Michael de Claughton each holding a fourth part. Each of them was a benefactor to Cockersand Abbey; Chartul. (Chet. Soc), 254, &c. So also were William son of Michael and Richard de Claughton; ibid. From William de Tatham's charter of 1338 it appears that his part of the manor had been purchased from Adam son of Richard de Claughton. Adam son of Adam lord of Claughton occurs in 1329 in one of the Brockholes D.
Walter de Winwick was another of the lords in 1208. Later there was a Walter de Claughton whose descendants are named in the Brockholes D. Thus in 1327 John de Brockholes made an exchange of land with Richard son of Walter de Claughton and in 1338 John son of Richard son of Walter de Claughton granted all his lands to Robert his son. John de Pleasington granted to William son of Richard son of Walter de Claughton all lands formerly belonging to John son of Richard son of Walter; ibid. The date of this must be later than the others, for in 1356 the said William was claiming land against John de Pleasington; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 5, m. 25.
45 In 1252–3 the sheriff was ordered to deliver to Walter de Myerscough an oxgang of land in Claughton which had belonged to William de Myerscough, an outlaw; Close R. 67, m. 3.
Roger de Wedacre in 1284 complained that Maud de Claughton, William de Myerscough and Isolde his wife had disseised him of land in Claughton, and recovered it; Assize R. 1268, m. 12.
John and Robert de Myerscough contributed to the subsidy of 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 58–9.
Randle del Wood (Bosco) was one of the early owners and granted a rentcharge of 2s. &c., to his son William; Brockholes D. John son of William de Myerscough gave a fraction of the waste in Claughton to Richard son of Walter son of Randle del Wood; ibid. John son of John de Myerscough in 1344 made a grant to John son of Thomas son of Richard de Claughton; ibid. Other deeds of the family are preserved in the same collection; Horseriddington and Timberhurst are among the Claughton place-names. Other deeds are in Dods. MSS. cxlii, fol. 52b, 58 (Brustare Croft), 68.
46 The name is also spelt Fotherby and varies to Feyreby and Ferriby.
In 1302 Henry son of William de Fetherby called Ellis de Fetherby to warrant to him the third part of a messuage, &c., in Claughton claimed in dower by Christiana wife of Nicholas de Garstang; De Banco R. 142, m. 111. Christiana was widow of Gilbert de Clifton and had exchanged for land at Ferriby in Yorkshire; ibid. 143, m. 107. Nichola widow of Ellis de Fetherby in 1308 claimed dower in two messuages, &c., against Henry de Fetherby and Isolda his wife; ibid. 173, m. 193 d. Isolda daughter of John de Myerscough in 1313–14 recovered land in Claughton against Isolda wife of Henry son and heir of William de Fetherby and others; Assize R. 424, m. 7.
Henry was living in 1331 (De Banco R. 283, m. 372 d.; 287, m. 224 d.), but in 1336 his widow Margery, then wife of John son of Adam de Hindley, claimed dower in Claughton against Robert son of John de Blackburn (of Showley) and Joan daughter (and co-heir) of Henry de Fetherby, and against Geoffrey son of John son of Geoffrey de Walton and Isolda the other daughter; ibid. 308, m. 360; 310, m. 27. By 1346 Margery had married a third husband, Richard son of Robert de Parr, and made a new claim for dower against the same parties; ibid. 349, m. 208 d.
Robert de Haldleghs, Joan his wife, Henry de Kuerden and Isolda his wife (in the wives' right) claimed a messuage, &c., in 1355, against John son of Robert the Wright and Robert de Middleton; Duchy of Lanc. Assize 4, m. 28 d.; 7, m. 2, In 1360 Robert de Haldleghes and Joan his wife, Henry de Kuerden and Isolda his wife, sought land in Claughton, as the right of the wives, who were daughters and co-heirs of Henry de Fetherby; ibid. 7, m. 2. Joan (as above) in 1369–73 granted her lands to Roger de Brockholes; Brockholes D.
47 It has been shown that Richard de Stanford had a part of the manor in 1208 and John de Stanford in 1355.
Richard (son of Robert) de Stanford and John de Stanford were benefactors of Cockersand Abbey; Chartul. i, 256–8, 253.
Maud widow of Thomas de Stanford was a plaintiff in 1312 m respect of her dower in Claughton; De Banco R. 193, m. 40; 195, m. 156.
Thomas de Stanford occurs in 1324; Brockholes D. Nicholas de Eaton in 1323 granted to William de Tatham, clerk, the wardship of John son and heir of Thomas de Stanford; Add. MS. 32104, no. 1131.
John de Stanford paid to the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. 59. In 1337 William son of Adam son of Thomas de Calder sought a messuage in Claughton held by John de Pleasington and John son of Thomas de Stanford; De Banco R. 310, m. 158. Ralph another son of Thomas claimed land in the same year; Assize R. 1424, m. 11 d. Robert de Stanford was called to warrant in 1352; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 1, m. 4 d.; 2, m. 3.
In 1444 Lawrence Stanford and Agnes widow of Henry Stanford settled a messuage, &c., in Claughton through Henry Garstang as trustee; Final Conc. iii, 111. In 1465 Henry Albyn as grandson of Henry Stanford complained that Joan widow of Richard Balderston was detaining a box of charters; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 28, m. 20. In 1469 he claimed land against Richard Barton, alleging that Lawrence Stanford had died without issue; ibid. 35, m. 7 d.
48 See below under Hecham for some early notices.
In 1324–5 William son of William de Whittingham and heir of Alice wife of the elder William paid 9d. as relief. Part of his lands were held of William Banastre, a minor, but he held 1 oxgang of land of the king by the hundred and twenty-eighth part of a knight's fee; 20 acres made an oxgang; Memo. R. (L.T.R.) 88, m. 74.
According to the return of 1355 William's estate became divided among co-heirs. Richard de Towneley and Ellen his wife were associated with John de Whittingham of Claughton in defence in 1344; Assize R. 1435, m. 37 d. Alice widow of John de Myerscough in 1354 claimed a rent of 5s. from Claughton—obtaining 4s. 8½d.—against Richard and Ellen de Towneley; Duchy of Lanc. Assize R. 3, m. id.
The Whittingham family was represented in the township long after this time. Richard son of John de Whittingham made a feoffment of land there in 1377; Add. MS. 32106, no. 426. In the preceding year dower had been claimed against him by Isabel widow of Nicholas son of John de Whittingham; De Banco R. 463, m. 142 d. John Whittingham gave messuages in Claughton and Bilsborrow in 1488 to his son Robert; Pal. of Lanc. Writs Proton. Lent 3 Hen. VII. Margaret Whittingham, widow, in 1505 claimed dower against John Whittingham; Pal. of Lanc. Plea R. 99, m. 2 d.; Final Conc. iii, 156.
48 a Richard Whittingham compounded with the Parliamentary authorities in 1649 for his estate in Claughton. A son Thomas had been killed at Newbury in 1643 fighting for the king; but his widow Anne afterwards married John Molanus, a sergeant-major for the Parliament; Cal. Com. for Comp. iii, 205s.
49 John de Bellew and Joan his wife in 1318 claimed dower in two messuages and half a plough-land against Thurstan son of Margaret de Worsley; De Banco R. 225, m. 170 d.
In 1325 William de Multon and Joan his wife (as widow of William de Holland) claimed the same against Thurstan son of William de Holland; ibid. 258, m. 384; 261, m. 2 d.
In 1403 it was found that Richard de Holland of Denton held a place called Mateshed in Claughton of the king by a rent of 1½d. to him and 4s. to William de Balderston; Towneley MS. DD, no. 1461.
50 Hugh and Edward Barton (his son) purchased two messuages, &c., from Edward Holland in 1564; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 26, m. 222. Edward Barton died in 1595 holding the messuage of Lord La Warre in socage, and leaving a son Hugh, one year old; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 23, 88. The tenure seems incorrectly stated. John Barton died in 1633 holding what appears to be the same property, but the tenure is not recorded. Hugh his son and heir was fifteen years of age, and there were other children, Richard, Elizabeth and Jane; ibid, xxvii, no. 7. Margery his widow afterwards married Cuthbert Tyldesley of Stirzacre and in 1652 claimed the two-thirds of a tenement sequestered for the recusancy of Elizabeth Barton, spinster; Royalist Comp. Papers, i, 150.
51 They had Matshead; see the account of the family and pedigree in Fishwick, op. cit. 253; also Upper Rawcliffe in St. Michael's. Mr. Whitehead of Garstang town raised a company for the Parliament in 1643; Lancs. War (Chet. Soc.), 42. He was a member of the Presbyterian Clasais in 1646.
52 James Boteler in 1504 held messuages, &c., in Goosnargh and Claughton of the king by knight's service; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. iii, no. 109. The Claughton land appears to have descended to Standish of Duxbury, but the tenure was not recorded in 1599; ibid, xvii, no. 54.
53 John Singleton held of the king as duke in 1530 by the ninety-secondth part of a knight's fee, but his successors by the fortieth part; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. vi, no. 32; viii, no. 9; xiii, no. 16 (1570).
Gabriel Hesketh purchased messuages, &c., in 1541 from John Singleton, and sold to William Kirkby in 1563; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 12, m. 60; 25, m.200.
54 In 1491 William Skillicorne sold to Thomas Earl of Derby the lands in Claughton which had formerly belonged to William Bradkirk, and before that to John Warburton; Knowsley D. 2/13.
Henry Kighley of Inskip (1554) and his son held messuages and lands of the queen as of her duchy by knight's service; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. x, no. 49; xi, no. 10.
John Kighley of White Lea in Goosnargh in 1616 held in Claughton of the Hospitallers (dissolved) by 6d. rent; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 31.
George Kirkby of Upper Rawcliffe (1558) and his brother William held of Thomas Brockholes by a rent of 3d.; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xi, no. 8; xvii, no. 16. Gilbert Latus of Goosnargh (1568) held the fourth part of four messuages, &c., by the same service; ibid, xii, no. 11.
Robert Shireburne of Catterall held the Conigree in Claughton of the queen as duke by knight's service in 1572; ibid. xiii, no. 10.
Ewan Browne of Ribbleton in 1545 held a messuage in Claughton as part ot his Ribbleton estate, but in 1568 and later the tenure was described as of Thomas Stirzacre by services unknown; ibid, vii, no. 24; xi, no. 4; xiv, no. 42.
John Starkie, Anne his wife, Henry Starkie and Isabel his wife held their messuages, &c., in 1558; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 19, m. 38. Afterwards (1577) Henry and Isabel were said to hold the third part of the manor of Claughton; ibid. bdle. 39, m. 120. Henry Starkie (of Aughton near Ormskirk) was at his death said to hold messuages, &c., of the queen as of her duchy by the fortieth part of a knight's fee; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii, no. 70.
Robert Walmesley of Coldcoats in 1612 held three messuages, &c., of the king as duke by the two-hundredth part of a knight's fee; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), i, 219–23.
William Hesketh of Mains in 1622 held in Claughton of the Earl of Derby in socage; ibid, iii, 364.
The tenure of the land ofWilliam and Thomas Richardson of Myerscough is not recorded.
55 Edward and Lawrence Parkinson in 1584 obtained messuages, &c., in Claughton and Catterall from Thomas Richardson and Thomas his son and heir; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 46, m. 94.
Richard Parkinson (son of John son of Richard son of John) died in 1621 without issue, holding Enfield House, the Oatfall, &c., of John Brockholes by 1d. rent; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc), ii, 250–2. His heir was his half-brother George, aged fifteen. Edward Parkinson in 1631 held lands in Catterall and Claughton which had belonged to the Hospitallers and then to Shireburne; Towneley MS. C 8, 13 (Chet. Lib.), 993. In 1653 John Parkinson, recusant, desired to compound for the sequestered two-thirds of his estate; Cal. Com. for Comp. iv, 3175.
56 Robert and Lawrence Wilkinson in 1592 made a settlement of seven messuages, &c., in Claughton; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 54, m. 149. Lawrence (son of Thomas) Wilkinson in 1637 held two-thirds of a messuage, with the reversion of the other third after the death of Janet his father's widow, of Richard Shireburne as of his manor of Howath, parcel of the possessions of the late dissolved priory of St. John of Jerusalem in England. His son and heir Thomas was six years old, and his widow Ellen was living at Thornley; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxx, no. 79. Janet Wilkinson, widow, as a recusant in 1654 desired to contract for the two-thirds of her estate sequestered; Cal. Com. for Comp. v, 3193.
57 John Arthwright died in 1625 holding land late of the Hospital of St. John; William his son and heir was fifty years of age; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 8.
George Bradshaw died in 1638 holding a messuage, &c., of Lord la Warre in socage. His son John was twenty-two years old; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxx, no. 87.
Lawrence Cottam in 1607 held his messuage, &c., of Edward Osbaldeston, and left as heir his son Richard, aged twenty-one; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 99. Richard's lands were sequestered (as to two-thirds) for his recusancy under the Commonwealth and in 1654 he applied for leave to contract. He died soon afterwards and was succeeded by a son Lawrence, but Thomas Beesley of Goosnargh claimed part; Royalist Comp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), ii, 81. The Cottams were of Bannister Hey in Claughton.
James Eckersall died in 1608 holding partly of the king as of the dissolved Hospital of St. John (by 2½d. rent) and partly in chief by knight's service. His heir was a brother Thomas, aged thirtysix; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), i, 136.
John Heritage held a messuage, &c., of Richard Shireburne as of the Hospitallers; he died in 1629, leaving a son Hugh, aged thirty; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 517. John Heritage purchased at the sale of the Derby estate in Claughton in 1602. His son Hugh died about 1643, leaving a widow Margery; she being a recusant had two-thirds of her tenement sequestered under the Commonwealth in 1646. John Heritage, their son, having attained his majority in 1652, and 'being a Protestant, his father having been a Protestant, and he (petitioner) having been so brought up from a child, being also well affected to the Parliamentary Government,' desired the discharge of the sequestration. He was churchwarden of Garstang in 1653–4, Royalist Comp. Papers, iii, 181–4.
Thomas Hodgson died in 1627 holding of the heirs of John Stanford; Edward, his son and heir, was fifteen years old; Towneley MS. C 8, 13, p. 499.
John Leigh died in 1631 holding of John Brockholes as of his manor of Claughton; Thomas, his son and heir, was forty years old; ibid. 747.
Christopher Walmesley held lands in 1623 of Thomas Richardson in socage by 16d. rent, and had a son and heir William, aged eighteen; Lancs. Inq. p.m. (Rec. Soc.), iii, 402. William Walmesley died in 1638 holding two messuages, &c., of the king as of the dissolved priory of St. John; the heir, his son Thomas, was of full age; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxx, no. 61. Thomas Walmesley, recusant, in 1653 petitioned to contract for the sequestrated two-thirds of his estate; Cal. Com. for Comp. v, 3178.
58 William de Claughton granted land in Claughton, the Hecham road forming part of the boundary; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 68b. William de Havile, vicegerent of the order of St. John of Jerusalem in England, granted land in Hecham and Henryfield to William son of Geoffrey de Whittingham; ibid. fol. 69. William son of Geoffrey de Whittingham received the manor of Heigham in 1279 from John de Tatham; Final Conc, i, 156. Ralph de Hecham in 1287 granted land in Hecham to William de Whittingham, clerk, and Ellen his wife; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 68b. Adam de Whittingham afterwards released all his right there to John de Tatham; ibid. fol. 69b.
Candelay son of Madoc granted land in Hecham to William his son, and William about 1228 granted it to Walter son of Richard the rector of Tatham, while Alice de Hecham, widow, gave Walter de Tatham land in Henryfield; ibid. fol. 70. The above-named Ralph (son of Roger) de Hecham gave lands in Dowanshargh (?) to John son of Walter de Tatham in 1274; ibid. fol. 69b. Sir Randle de Dacre, sheriff, and other prominent men attested this charter.
Ralph son of Roger de Hecham demised land in Hecham to Joan (?) daughter of Hugh de Mitton, and she in her widowhood transferred to Roger de Wedacre and Maud his wife; Add. MS. 32104, no. 1309, 933. Ralph de Hecham also granted Roger de Wedacre land the bounds of which touched Fardenshaw Brook, Anedarewelache, Wanesnape and the Brock; ibid. no. 932.
John de Hegham contributed to the subsidy in 1332; Exch. Lay Subs. 59.
William de Southworth in 1322–3 granted the manor of Hecham in Claughton to his daughter Elizabeth; she married John de Bardsey, who in 1355 farmed the manor to Robert de Haldlegh; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 70b–71b.
Jane Beesley of Goosnargh (widow of Henry) in 1585 held the moiety of a messuage called Rigmaiden House, alias the Fell House, but the tenure is not stated; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvi, no. 24. The charters copied by Dodsworth, and quoted above, in 1632 belonged to Richard Chrichley or Critchlow of Rigmaiden House in Claughton. In the Civil War he took the king's side, and his estate was sequestered; he compounded in 1649 by a fine of £7 10s.; Cal. Com. for Comp. iii, 1951; v, 3290.
There is a farm called Heigham.
59 This name seems to have disappeared. Avice daughter of Richard son of Adam de Claughton granted to the Hospitallers land which Peter de Dowanshargh held by her father's gift; Add. MS. 32104, no. 1307. The Dowanshargh family appear to have granted their land to William de Tatham; ibid. no. 401, &c.
60 Some grants to the order have been mentioned already, but it appears that they were already in possession of land in the township in 1208, in the half plough-land of Adam de Claughton; Final Conc, i, 33. The Prior of St. John in 1334 claimed 4 acres against Richard de Myerscough; De Banco R. 298, m. 273.
The lands in Claughton were regarded as part of the manor of Howath, and so passed to Shireburne of Stonyhurst; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xxvi, no. 4. Many tenants' names can be gathered from preceding notes.
61 Cockersand Chartul. i, 253–62. Several of the benefactors have been named already. Others were Walter de Winwick, Grimbald son of William de Slyne, Robert son of Paulin de Bilsborrow and Adam son of Roger de Eccleston. A number of place-names occur in the charters, including Akenehead, Redelache, Wlveley Brook, Huntersti, Nunhouse Stead, and Whitewell Brook; 'scaling' is used as a common noun.
62 See notes on Barton, Cottam, Critchlow, Heritage, Parkinson, Walmesley and Wilkinson.
63 Fishwick, op. cit 28–30.
64 William Arthwright, James Barnes, Hugh and Thomas Barton, Lawrence Caton, Lawrence Cottam, Margaret Cottam (her son Hugh under age), John Green, Thomas Sweetlove and Robert Wilson; Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Nonjurors, 97, &c.
65 Act 3 Geo. II, cap. 3, private.
66 In 1590 inquiry was made as to Thomas Brockholes' title to Langscales in Catterall; it was supposed to be held for 'superstitious uses,' in connexion with the chapel; Exch. Dep. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 6, 7. This no doubt refers to William de Tatham's chaplain.
67 Misc. (Cath. Rec. Soc.), v, 176–9. Notes are given on the families of Barton, Baines, Cottam and Whittingham.
68 Gillow, Bibl. Dict, of Engl. Cath. i, 145.
69 Dict. Nat. Biog.
70 See the account of Preston.
71 In 1748 Thomas Brockholes gave Claughton House (later Butt Hill) to the secular clergy priest who should assist the Catholics of Claughton; Brockholes D.
72 There is a full account in the Liverpool Cath. Annual for 1885; Hewitson, Our Country Churches, 286–96; Fishwick, op. cit. 121–2.