The parish of Melling

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Farrer & J. Brownbill (editors)

Year published

1914

Pages

186-191

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The parish of Melling', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 8 (1914), pp. 186-191. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53295 Date accessed: 28 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

MELLING

Hornby; Farleton; Melling with Wrayton; Arkholme with Cawood; Wennington; Boeburndale; Wray With Botton;


MELLING TATHAM

MELLING TATHAM

Before the Conquest Melling was the seat of a compact lordship occupying the tongue of land between the Lune and the Wenning. Later Hornby was made the head of a fee or barony, with castle, borough and monastery, and the history of the parish becomes bound up with that of Hornby. Gressingham was originally part of the parish, but was transferred to Lancaster early in the 13th century. The number of ancient churches and chapels around Melling suggests that this part of the Lune valley was at one time relatively far more populous and important than it is to-day. Thus Melling has Arkholme and Tatham close by, with Gressingham, Claughton and Hornby to the south-west, and Tunstall and Whittington to the north—seven or eight churches within limits of six miles by two.

In 1349 and 1350 the district was disturbed by a private war between Sir Thomas de Dacre and Sir Robert de Nevill. The former went to Arkholme with several companions and assaulted Nevill's servant, while Sir Robert assembled 'an immense multitude' of armed men at Hornby, 'to the number of about 30,' and for half a year led them hither and thither to waylay his adversary. (fn. 1)

The people of Melling in 1536–7 joined in the Northern Rebellion. (fn. 2) At the Reformation some of the leading families remained faithful to Roman Catholicism, and in the Civil War to Charles I, but there is little to show how the people in general regarded these events. The Revolution and the Jacobite risings of 1715 and 1745 passed over quietly, though on the former occasion the Highland forces passed through the parish on their way from Kirkby Lonsdale to Lancaster, and demanded aid from Hornby Castle. (fn. 3)

The area of the parish measures 23,436 acres, a large part being the sparsely occupied fell country south of the Wenning. The population in 1901 numbered 1,589.

The agricultural land is now mostly in grass, as the following details will show (fn. 3a) :—

Arable landPermanent grassWoods and plantations
ac.ac.ac.
Hornby1,323244
Farleton23908
Melling with Wrayton42½83010½
Arkholme2632,51376
Wennington88829½113
Roeburndale663,566213½
Wray with Botton1223,114286
60713,083½943

When the hundred had to raise £100 this parish contributed as follows to the county lay of 1624: Melling and Wrayton, 17s. 7½ d.; Hornby and Roeburndale, 12s. 1¾ d.; Farleton, 6s. 10¾ d.; Arkholme with Cawood, 22s.; Wennington, 10s. 8¼d.; Wray with Botton, 17s. 1¾d.; or £4 6s. 6d. in all. (fn. 4)

Church

The church of ST. WILFRID (fn. 5) stands on the west slope of an elevated plateau, the top of which forms an ancient earthwork known as Castle Mount, (fn. 6) and consists of a chancel 36 ft. by 20 ft., with short north and south aisles and north vestry, nave 49 ft. by 18 ft. 8 in. with north and south aisles 10 ft. wide, south porch, and west tower 12 ft. 6 in. square, all these measurements being internal. There is no structural division between the nave and the chancel, the nave consisting of the first three bays of the arcade from the west and the quire seats occupying the fourth, beyond which the chancel is continued 21 ft. eastward between external walls beyond the aisles.

The building is largely of 15th-century date, but some fragments of an older structure are built into the walls, and others have been found in more recent times, indicating a church on the same site at a very early period. A portion of a pre-Conquest sepulchral slab found 6 ft. below the tower floor is preserved in the vestry, together with a short portion of a cross shaft with basket-work interlacing ornament, which a few years ago was taken out of the churchyard wall. (fn. 7) In 1858, on widening the splay of the west window of the north aisle, a fragment of Norman stonework with zigzag moulding, probably belonging to a 12th-century doorway, (fn. 8) was found, and there are fragments of 12th-century masonry in the walling near the north-west entrance. There is also in the vestry a fragment of a 13th-century stone crucifix found at the same time and place as the fragment of the Norman doorway, the lower part of the figure below the waist alone remaining. (fn. 9)

The oldest part of the structure is the west window of the south aisle, which is of 13th-century date, being a single-pointed trefoiled light 5 ft. high and 1 ft. 7 in. wide, with external hood mould and plain chamfered jambs. The corresponding window to the north aisle, in the jamb of which the fragments just mentioned were found, is also a single-pointed light, but without foliation or hood mould, and is probably of 15th-century date or later, built to match in some measure the corresponding south window. The 13th-century window, however, may not be in its original position, and nothing therefore can be said as to the development of the plan. The whole structure seems to have been rebuilt some time towards the end of the 15th century, when it assumed more or less of its present aspect. The nave and aisles were originally, however, under one wide spanned roof, which is said to have been covered with thatch, and so remained till 1763, when the church was new roofed and a clearstory added to both nave and chancel. A plaster ceiling was erected at the same time, but was removed in 1856, when a vestry was added at the east end of the north aisle and new clearstory windows were inserted.

The church is built throughout of uncoursed rubble masonry, without plinth except to the tower, and has externally little architectural detail. The roofs are covered with stone slates, and have overhanging eaves, except that of the chapel forming the east end of the south aisle, which has a modern straight parapet and coping. At the junction of the nave and chancel roofs there is a flat stone coping, but the roofs are of equal height and pitch, and there is a straight joint in the walling below the coping with quoins on the chancel side, apparently indicating the erection of the nave clearstory to be subsequent in date.

The east window of the chancel is a modern pointed one of three lights with traceried head, and there is a modern segmental-headed two-light window on the south side. Owing to the slope of the ground from east to west, the chancel floor at the east end is raised by ten steps spaced in groups to a height of 5 ft. 8 in. above that of the nave, with striking effect viewed from the west end. The western half of the chancel is open to the aisles by round arches, 13 ft. 6 in. wide, of two chamfered orders. The east end of the north aisle is used as an organ chamber, and that of the south is the ancient chapel of St. Katherine, now known as the Morley chapel. On the south side there is a diagonal opening, or squint, through the wall to the chapel, but there are no remains of mediaeval ritual arrangement in the chancel. The whole of the interior walls of the church, however, are now plastered. The chancel roof is a continuation of that of the nave and consists of plain king-post principals constructed out of the timbers of the former roof in 1763 and plastered between. There are two clearstory windows to the chancel on the north side, but only one on the south, both of two trefoiled lights and square-headed, similar to those in the nave.


Plan of Melling Church

The Morley chapel is 20 ft. long by 9 ft. 6 in. wide and is raised 2 ft. 6 in. above the floor of the nave. It is divided from the rest of the aisle by a modern wood screen reproducing the design of an older one, of which two fragments of tracery remain and are incorporated with it. The chapel is now fitted with modern seating and is open to the chancel on the north side. It is lit at the east end by a modern square-headed three-light traceried window and a square-headed window of three trefoiled lights with external hood mould on the south side, to the west of which, within the screen, is a pointed priest's door In the south wall is an aumbry, the door of which has gone, but the east wall below the window is covered with modern boarding. During the restoration of the chapel in 1851, when the seating was erected, a raised step at the east end was found and marks of the chantry altar. (fn. 10)

The nave arcade consists of three pointed arches of two chamfered orders springing from octagonal piers 8 ft. high, with moulded capitals and bases. All the stonework has been rechiselled and otherwise rewrought and the cap to the easternmost pier on the south side is new. The arches vary in size, the easternmost being 14 ft. 7 in. in width, and the two western ones 12 ft. 9 in. and 13 ft. 3 in. respectively. There are three clearstory windows on each side of the nave, and the north aisle is lit by two squareheaded windows of two trefoiled lights and with external hood moulds, and has a plain semicircular-headed doorway opposite the first bay from the west. The easternmost window of the north aisle, now lighting the organ chamber, which is separated from the rest of the aisle by a modern wood screen, is of three trefoiled lights with square traceried head going up its full height of the wall below the eaves, and may be the only original 15th-century window remaining, the rest being perhaps insertions of a later date. The two windows of the south aisle are similar to those in the north. The porch has an open pointed outer arch and stone seats on each side, with a plain gabled stoneslated roof and overhanging eaves.

The west tower, which has a moulded plinth, is 55 ft. in height to the top of the embattled parapet, and has a projecting vice in the north-east corner and diagonal buttresses of five stages going up its full height. The west door has a pointed arch of two hollow-chamfered orders with hood mould, and above is a four-centred window with three plain pointed lights and external hood mould. The belfry windows are of three pointed lights under a four-centred head with hood mould and stone louvres, and there is a clock on the west side. The north and south sides are plain. The tower arch is of two chamfered orders dying into the walls at the springing, the opening being filled in to a height of 8 ft. by a solid modern oak screen. The line of the former roof shows above the arch.

The font and pulpit and the fittings generally, with the exception of the seats in the aisles, which are the 18th-century ones cut down, are all modern.

In the chancel is a stone with the matrices of four small figure brasses and inscriptions. (fn. 11) There are no ancient monuments. (fn. 12) At the east end of the north aisle are four traceried oak panels which originally formed part of a screen at the back of the vicar's pew. In the Morley chapel is a panel with the initials and date 'F. M. 1636'; a chest in the vestry is inscribed 'K/T E 1688,' and there is a small 18th-century brass chandelier.

The churchyard is bounded on the north and west by the high road, and on the south side is an octagonal stone sundial shaft 4 ft. 6 in. high on two square steps.

There is a ring of six bells by Abel Rudhall of Gloucester, 1753. (fn. 13)

The plate consists of a chalice made at Newcastle inscribed ' The Gift of Henry Marsden Esq. of Wenington Hall administrator to his Mother 1759'; a chalice of 1767 inscribed ' Melling Parish 1767'; a breadholder on three feet, of the same date, inscribed 'Henry Marsden Sen' of Winington Hall,' and a modern Gothic silver-gilt chalice and paten presented by Canon Grenside in 1891. (fn. 14)

The register of baptisms begins in 1625, that of burials in 1619, and the register of marriages in 1636.

The tithe maps are in the vicar's custody.

Advowson

The church was in 1094 given to St. Martin's Abbey, Sées, by Count Roger of Poitou, (fn. 15) but was afterwards resigned in exchange for Gressingham, a chapel of ease, (fn. 16) which was transferred to the parish of Lancaster. About 1220 the advowson was granted to the Abbot and convent of Croxton, Leicestershire. (fn. 17) In 1246 the right of presentation was disputed between Margaret widow of Hubert de Burgh and the canons of Croxton. The right of the canons was (fn. 18) acknowledged and in 1310 the church was appropriated to them. (fn. 19) A vicarage was afterwards ordained, (fn. 20) but the incumbents were canons of Croxton. After the Suppression the advowson remained with the Crown till 1866, when it was sold to the Rev. Reginald Remington of Melling. (fn. 21) On his death in April 1909 his son the Rev. Henry Remington became patron.

The value of the benefice was in 1291 taxed at £40, but this was reduced to £20 after the devastation wrought by the Scots in 1322, (fn. 22) and in 1341 the ninth of the sheaves, wool, &c, was recorded as £20. (fn. 23) In 1527 the value of the rectory was estimated as £36, that of the vicarage being £13 6s. 8d., (fn. 24) but in 1535, while the abbey received £35 from the rectory, (fn. 25) the vicar's income was set down as only £7 1s. 9d. (fn. 26) Afterwards the rectory was purchased from the Crown by the lord of Hornby, (fn. 27) and in 1650 the tithes were said to be worth £250 a year, while 'the entire profits' of the vicarage were £30, to which £50 had been added by the Committee of Plundered Ministers. (fn. 28) The certified income of the vicarage was £28 5s. 2d. in 1717 (fn. 29) ; the net value is now given as £l64. (fn. 30)

The names of a few of the early rectors have been preserved. (fn. 31) The following have been vicars:—

InstitutedNamePatronCause of Vacancy
Br. John Leicester (fn. 32)
23 Nov. 1429Br. Richard Boteler (fn. 33) Croxton Abbeyd. J. Leicester
oc. 1488Br. Edmund Green (fn. 34)
c. 1500Br. Richard Docker (fn. 35)
oc.1548John Andrew (fn. 36)
14 Dec. 1562Richard Harris (fn. 37) The Crownd. last incumbent
oc. 1581Thomas Burrow (fn. 38)
25 Apr. 1625Richard Newton (fn. 39) The Crownd. last incumbent
26 May 1626
20 Sept. 1633Robert Heblethwaite (fn. 40)
— 1648John Smith (fn. 41)
15 May 1658Thomas White, M.A. (fn. 42) The Protector
27 Jan. 1661–2The Crown
7 July 1663Anthony Cooper"
26 Oct. 1666John Carr"
25 July 1671John Carr (fn. 43) "
24 Dec. 1677Thomas Kay, M.A. (fn. 44) "
15 Oct. 1689Daniel Armistead, B.A. (fn. 45) "res. T. Key
3 Aug. 1693Thomas Kirkharam, B.A. (fn. 46) "d. last incumbent
3 Aug. 1695William Gregson, B.A. (fn. 47) "d. " "
26 Jan. 1696–7Andrew Forbes (fn. 48) "d. " "
13 Dec. 1742Thomas Fell"d. " "
4 Apr. 1744James Towers, B.A. (fn. 49) "res. T. Fell
11 June 1750John Tatham, B.A. (fn. 50) "d. last incumbent
22 Aug. 1794John Tatham (fn. 51) "res. " "
11 June 1851John Beethom, M.A. (fn. 52) "d. " "
8 May 1855William Bent Grenside, M.A. (fn. 53) "d. " "

Before the Reformation the church was served by a canon of Croxton, who may have resided at Hornby, where there was normally a staff of three canons. The chapels of Arkholme and Hornby had also to be served. As late as the year 1548 the Visitation List contains the names of the vicar and five others, (fn. 54) two having been canons of Hornby at the surrender ten years before. The 1554 list gives five names, only two being the same as in 1548; while in 1562 the vicar was sick, Thomas Harris appeared, but did not subscribe, and George Holme, after showing himself contumacious, was brought to subscribe. (fn. 55) The subsequent story is obscure, the incumbents being of no note and the Visitation Records scanty. In 1623 it was presented that at the parish church Mr. Ellison, probably the curate in charge, ministered the communion to some who stood, and that at Arkholme there was no surplice. The clerical subsidy lists give no sign that there were curates for the chapelries, though there was one in 1610 to serve both, but in 1650, stipends having been provided out of Royalist sequestrations, Arkholme and Hornby had each its curate. The old state would return at the Restoration, but in 1717 it was stated that the curate preached every Sunday at Arkholme and read prayers there every holy day, while he preached every third Sunday at Hornby. (fn. 56)

There was no endowed chantry, but 'St. Katherine's choir' is mentioned in the will of Francis Morley of Wennington, dated 1540. (fn. 57)

Charities

Official inquiries were made into the charities of the parish in 1826 and 1899. The following details are taken from the later report. About £180 a year is derived from various benefactions, the greater part being appropriated to educational purposes, (fn. 58) and £6 17s. 6d. to the organist of the parish church. There are no almshouses or medical charities, but to the poor over £35 a year is given in money and £4 in kind.

Agnes Tatham of Lancaster in 1867 bequeathed £200 for Christmas gifts to the poor of the parish; the interest, £7 13s., is given by the vicar to poor women of the townships of Melling and Wennington in sums of 5s. to 42s. Rebecca Bland in 1759 bequeathed money to produce 10s. a year for poor housekeepers in Melling town, to be distributed on 21 December, but this is now added to her educational endowment. Reginald Remington of Crow Trees in 1853 bequeathed £100 to provide a weekly distribution of bread at the morning and evening services at the parish church for poor persons of Melling and Wennington; the dividend is £2 16s. 4d., and any surplus is distributed in bread at Christmas.

Jane Turner in 1734 gave a piece of land called Howgill Cragg in West Field in Kellet for the poor of Arkholme quarter. The land was sold in 1866, and the purchase money yields £14 10s. a year, distributed with Wraton's charity—a rent-charge of 20s. a year left in 1728 by Thomas Wraton. The latter benefactor also left a rent-charge of 26s. to provide a weekly distribution of bread to six widows or widowers of Arkholme. The poor's money is given in doles of 5s. to 20s., and the owner of Storrs sends three twopenny loaves to Arkholme Church every Sunday, and they are given to a widow.

For poor housekeepers of Hornby Elizabeth Thornton in 1742 left £50 for investment. Other charitable funds were added and land purchased, nearly all of which was sold in 1871. The purchase money produces £11 15s. 4d., and an acre of wood unsold yields 5s.; the whole income is distributed on Christmas Eve by the vicar, churchwardens and overseers of the township.

Several small funds have been lost. (fn. 59)

Footnotes

1 Assize R. 443, m. 4; 452, m. 1d. Other details of the contest are given. Sir Thomas de Dacre and his men broke into the park at Hornby and hunted there. Sir William de Dacre, by Sir Thomas's desire, came to Hornby Castle in manner of war, with men-at-arms and bowmen.
2 The Captain of Poverty wrote from Kendal on 12 Feb. 1536–7 to the conatable of Melling, asking for the help of the inhabitants'according to your oaths'; L. and P. Hen. VIII, xii (1), 411.
3 'The same night [7 Nov. 1715] a party of horse were sent to Colonel Charteris's house, which is a few miles from Lancaster, belonging to a fine estate which he has lately purchased there called Hornby Hall. This party were detached thither before we entered Lancaster by another way, under the command of Colonel Oxburgh. They did no harm to the house nor to anything about it, though it was reported—and that presently by himself, to ingratiate himself with the government—that they committed several disorders, to the owner's great loss. But he could never make out the loss, nor was there any truth in the charge, for they behaved very civilly, only made free with a few bottles of his wine and strong beer. When this Colonel [Oxburgh] demanded of one that had the care of the house how much he did insist upon for what the men and horses had received, he brought in a bill of £3 6s. 8d. for which the Colonel gave his note, payable when his master's concerns were settled. On the other hand if these men had not been sent thither, but that the Scots had been allowed to pay their countryman's house a visit they would not have scrupled to set it on fire, so well is he respected of them'; Patten, Hist. of Rebellion (ed. 1745), 74.
3 a Statistics from Bd. of Agric. (1905).
4 Gregson, Fragments (ed. Harland), 23. This rate was based on the ancient fifteenth.
5 In recent times the church has been called St. Peter's (e.g. in Baines' Lancs.), but in the will of Francis Morley of Wennington (1540) it is called St. Wilfrid's.
6 The earthwork is described in V.C.H. Lancs. ii, 529–30, where a plan and section of the site is given.
7 Taylor, Ancient Crosses and Holy Walls of Lancs. 397, where illustrations of both fragments are given.
8 Whitaker, writing about 1822, says: 'The church retains nothing of the first structure but a rich Norman doorway'; Richmondshire, ii, 247. There is no Norman doorway now.
9 It is illustrated in Taylor, op. cit. 397.
10 Baines, Lancs. (ed. Croston), v, 538.
11 The brasses are said to have been used by a blacksmith in the village to make a toasting fork.
12 The second Baron Mounteagle left directions in his will that he should be buried in the chancel. There is, however, no monument or inscription to mark the place. In 1898 Canon Grenside erected on the north wall a wooden panel on which is inscribed: 'In this chancel rest the remains of Thomas Stanley, second Baron Mounteagle of Hornby Castle, who died in the month of August 1560. By his will directed his interment here.'
13 The three pre-Reformation bells were sent to Gloucester and were probably used in the casting of the new bells, which were hung during the summer of 1754.
14 The chalice is inscribed: 'Deo et Ecclesiae S. Wilfrid Melling hunc calicem cum patena Gulielmus Bent Grenside M.A. vicarius obtulit die 1° Feb mdcccxci,' and the paten 'S. Wilfrid Melling Feb 1 MDCCCXCI.'
15 Farrer, Lancs. Pipe R. 290. About a century later there was a dispute between the rector of Melling and the Prior of Lancaster, the prior granting the church and Gressingham Chapel to the rector for a pension of 20s.; Round, Cal. of Doc. France, 239.
16 Lanc. Ch. (Chet. Soc), i, 20; a pension of 2s. a year was to be paid to Lancaster Church for a light. The Prior of Lancaster had claimed the advowson in 1206; Curia Regis R. 42, m. 12; 4.3, m. 8d.
17 It was stated that Roger de Montbegon, who died in 1225, presented a rector who died in or before 1246; Assize R. 1045, m. 2, cited below.
18 It was acknowledged that Roger de Montbegon had presented the last rector, but alleged that he had afterwards granted the advowson to St. Wilfrid's, Hornby, and Hornby was merely a cell to Croxton. In the sale of Hornby to Hubert and Margaret de Burgh the advowson of Melling had been included in error; Assize R. 1045, m. 2, 27, printed in Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 94–5.
At a vacancy in 1303 Margaret de Nevill claimed the right to present, but a verdict was given for the Abbot of Croxton by her default; De Banco R. 146, m. 25 d.
19 Cal. Pat. 1307–13, p. 229.
20 The date has not been ascertained; it may have been in the time of Henry IV. The endowment consisted of a house and the small tithes.
21 Information of Canon Grenside. For a pedigree of the Remington family see Misc. (Cath. Rec. Soc.), v, 244.
22 Pope Nich. Tax. (Rec. Com.), 327.
23 Inq. Nonarum (Rec. Com.), 35. The estimates for the several townships were: Farleton, £3 0s. 10d.; Melling with Wrayton, £2 14s. 4d.; Wennington, £1 13s. 2d.; Wray with Botton, £3 18s. 4d.; Hornby with Roeburndale, the same; Arkholme, £4 15s. The small tithes and altarage were valued at £6; the waste caused by the Scots accounted for £14 reduction.
24 Duchy of Lanc. Rentals and Surv. bdle. 5, no. 15.
25 Valor Eccl. (Rec. Com.), iv, 150.
26 Ibid, v, 260. The house was valued at 1s. 9d.; tithes of hay at 6s.; small tithes and Easter roll £7 3s. 4d. The vicar paid synodals and procurations, 9s. 4d.
27 In 1610 it was sold to Francis Morley and another, who sold to Lord Morley and Mounteagle; Whitaker, op. cit. ii, 247. The rectory of Melling is named in a settlement by William Lord Morley in 1619; Pal. of Lanc. Feet of F. bdle. 93, no. 1. It continued to descend with Hornby; ibid. bdle. 208, m. 136.
A lease of the rectory was in 1586 granted to Arthur Agard; Pat. 28 Eliz. pt. ix.
28 Commonw. Ch. Surv. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), 123. The augmentation was from the sequestered estate of Lord Morley, a ' Papist and delinquent.' It was granted in 1646; Plund. Mins. Accts. (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), i, 21.
29 Gastrell, Notitia Cestr. (Chet. Soc), ii, 481. The glebe produced £8; a pension from the impropriators, £2 13s. 4d.; tithes of hay, &c, £4; Easter dues, £12 10s.; surplice fees, £2. A rent of 15s. 6d. was paid to the lord of the manor. There were four churchwardens.
30 Manch. Dioc. Dir.
31 Norman clerk of Melling is named in a charter made before 1147; Prescott, Wetherhal Reg. 312.
Richard de Vescy was the rector appointed by Roger de Montbegon according to the pleadings cited above; his tenure maybe dated 1215 to 1245.
Simon rector of Melling occurs in 1276; Dep. Keeper's Rep. xlv, App. 369.
John le Romayne (see Bolton-le-Sands) became rector about 1280; Cal. Papal Letters, i, 484. In 1303 Spinellus de Roda, papal chaplain, was provided to the rectory in place of Gregory Giudice of Alatri, papal treasurer, deceased; ibid. 601.
Theobald de Sancto Albano occurs in 1307, having been presented by the Arch. bishop of York by lapse; Whitaker, Richmondshire, ii, 248.
32 In 1428 William, vicar of the church of Melling, is named in a Hornby Ct. R.; Ct. of Aug. bdle. 15, no. 17.
33 Raines MSS. (Chet. Lib.), xxii, 407.
34 Exch. Aug. Off. Misc. xxxix, no. 130. He was or became Prior of Hornby.
35 In 1527 he had been vicar more than twenty years; Duchy of Lanc. Rentals and Surv. bdle. 5, no. 15. He was still vicar in 1535; Valor Eccl.
36 Named in the Visit. Lists of 1548, 1554 and 1562, but at the last was sick and did not appear. He must have died in the same year.
John Andrew, priest, late vicar of Melling, by his will desired to be buried in the chancel of the church, and left 20s. to mend the churchyard wall. His books, except his Latin Bible, were to go to Sir George Holme; Richmond Wills (Surt. Soc), 168.
37 The Church Papers in Chester Dioc. Reg. begin with his presentation.
38 Mr. Earwaker's note. Burrow, who was 'no preacher,' was vicar in 1610; Hist. MSS. Com. Rep. xiv, App. iv, 8. Among the Melling Church Papers at Chester is an appointment by Christopher Wilson, clerk, to a deputy to procure a mandate for his institution and induction to the vicarage, to which he had been presented on the death of the last incumbent (unnamed). Burrow was still vicar in 1622 (Misc. [Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.], i, 70) and the will of Thomas Burrow of Melling was proved in 1624 at Richmond.
39 The institutions from the Inst. Bk. P.R.O. as printed in Lancs. and Ches. Antiq. Notes. have been followed from this time. Newton's first institution is recorded in the Act Bks. at Chester. One of the name was rector of Claughton 1628–30, but was deprived. 'Richard Newton, gent., vicar of Melling,' was buried at Whittington 8 Aug. 1633. Administration of his effects was granted in 1633–5.
40 Administration of his effects was granted at Richmond in 1647. He seems to have been Puritan and Presbyterian; Royalist Camp. Papers (Rec. Soc. Lancs. and Ches.), iv, 176.
41 John Smith signed the ' Harmonious Consent' in 1648 as'minister of Melling.' In 1650 he left it for a benefice in Northumberland; Commonw. Ch. Surv. 123.
42 Plund. Mins. Accts. ii, 227. White's appointment was confirmed on the Restoration; Pat. 13 Chas. II, pt. xlvii, no. 102. He is stated to have been ejected for nonconformity in 1662, but no particulars are given; Calamy, Nonconf. Mem. (ed. Palmer), ii, 99.
43 Act Bks. at Chester. The cause of vacancy is not given, and there is nothing to show whether it was the same or a different John Carr who was presented.
44 Ibid. Kay was educated at Brasenose Coll., Oxf.; M.A. 1677; Foster, Alumni.
45 Stratford's Visit. List at Chester Dioc. Reg.; Church Papers. He was educated at Christ's Coll., Camb. (B.A. 1687), and ordained deacon in June 1688.
46 A Thomas Kirkham was at Garstang in 1691; Visit. List. The vicar of Melling was educated at Brasenose Coll., Oxf.; B.A. 1678; Foster, Alumni.
47 Also educated at Brasenose; B.A. 1686.
48 He died in 1742, aged ninety-three; administration of his goods was granted to his daughter Anne Forbes, spinster.
49 Educated at Magdalene Coll., Camb.; B.A. 1742. In 1750 he resided 'somewhere in the south.'
50 One of this name graduated at Cambridge from Christ's College; B.A. 1747. He was son of John Tatham, and baptized at Tun stall 10 May 1726. He was curate of Leek in 1748. John Tatham resigned Melling for the adjacent rectory of Tatham, which he held till his death in 1809.
51 Son of the preceding vicar. It will be noticed that father and son together held the vicarage for 101 years.
52 Educated at Queen's Coll., Oxf.; M.A. 1813; Foster, Alumni.
53 Educated at Trin. Coll., Camb.; M.A. 1849. Hon. canon of Manchester 1905.
54 One name is erased.
55 These details are from the Visit. Lists at Chester.
56 Gastrell, Notitia, ii, 485.
57 Richmond Wills (Surt. Soc), 21.
58 For Melling £35 from Agnes Tatham, Rebecca Bland and William Gillison; for Arkholme £42 from William Turner and the Rev. Robert Cort; and for Wray £55 from Richard Pooley and Agnes Tatham. Gillison's gift (1770) provided for teaching children 'in the rudiments of the English language,' and for apprenticing; 'the children educated as dissenting Protestants called Presbyterians should be equally considered objects of the charity as those who should be educated according to the liturgy of the Church of England.'
59 A charge of 4s. on land in Gressingham for the poor of Farleton, the gift of someone unknown, has been lost since 1826.
William Edmondson in 1735 left £50 for the purchase of lands for the poor of Hornby. The money was not so used, but was lost by being lent to a man who died insolvent.
Two small gifts to the poor of Wray had been lost before 1826.