ARKHOLME WITH CAWOOD
Ergune, Dom. Bk.; Argun, 1229; Hergun, 1242;
Ergum, 1285; Erghum, 1292; Erwhum, 1343;
Erwom, 1441; Argholme, xvi cent.
Cawode, c. 1350.
Arkholme proper is placed on a little eminence or
bluff, overlooking the Lune, which is there crossed
by a ferry and a ford towards Hornby and Melling.
The village consists mainly of one street leading
down to the ford across the river, and retains many
picturesque 17th and 18th-century houses with welldesigned doorways, many bearing dates and initials. (fn. 1)
Cawood was the forest of the lords of Hornby and
no doubt occupied most of the area of the township.
Its surface may be described as a hill, attaining 466 ft.
above sea level at Cragglot, and descending with
many outlying spurs to the Keer on the north-west,
the Lune on the south-east, and their tributaries on
the north. Storrs is to the south-west of Arkholme,
Locka and Kitlow to the west, and Gunnerthwaite
to the north-west, near the Keer. The area is 3,016
acres, (fn. 1a) and there was a population of 286 in 1901.
The principal road is that from Lancaster to Kirkby
Lonsdale on the western side of the Lune; it has a
branch east through the village to the river side, and
north-west towards Docker and the Keer valley.
The Furness and Midland Railway Companies' branch
line from Wennington to Carnforth crosses the northern
end of the township and has a station called Arkholme near the village. An omnibus runs to Kirkby
The township is governed by a parish council.
The soil is a loam, overlying sand; the land is
chiefly in pasture. There is some basket-making.
The base of the churchyard cross remains, and
there was probably a market cross also. (fn. 2) There is an
ancient artificial mound on the north-east side of the
In 1066 ARKHOLME, assessed as
six plough-lands, was part of Earl Tostig's
fee of Whittington. (fn. 3) It was afterwards
a member of the lordship of Hornby, and in 1279
Geoffrey de Nevill obtained a charter for a market at
Arkholme every Wednesday and a fair on the vigil,
feast and morrow of St. John Baptist, 23–25 June. (fn. 4)
At his death in 1285 Sir Geoffrey had free services
of £9 5s. from the vill, (fn. 5) and his widow Margaret de
Nevill in 1 319 received £15 1s. 8d. from free tenants
and tenants for terms. (fn. 6) The manor has continued
to be held with Hornby. (fn. 7) Arkholme, Cawood,
Melling and other parts of the inheritance of Sir
Thomas Harrington were in dispute in 1508 (fn. 8) and
again in 1530. (fn. 9)
The land seems to have been much divided, and
some of the tenants used the local surname. (fn. 10) The
pleadings (fn. 11) and the later inquisitions (fn. 12) give various
particulars, but in most cases no continuous story is
CAWOOD, to judge from its name, was probably
part of the wood of Melling for which William de
Albini in 1196 and later paid £4. a year. (fn. 13) The
wood called Cawood was granted to Thetford Priory
by Roger de Montbegon. (fn. 14) In Cawood is Storthes
or STORRS, (fn. 15) which was in 1420 divided between
Alice and Margaret, sisters and heirs of John of the
Storthes. (fn. 16) Part descended in a family named from
it, who acquired further lands, (fn. 17) and in 1619 Adam
Storrs was found to have held Storrs in Arkholme
and Cawood of Lord Mounteagle as of his manor of
Hornby by a rent of 2s. 4d. His son Henry, aged
nine, was heir. (fn. 18) Henry's son Adam left the Storrs
estate to his son-in-law Dr. Anthony Askew, (fn. 19) from
whose descendants (fn. 20) it was in 1848 purchased by
Francis Pearson, who built the hall in the Gothic
style, and from him descended to his son the present
owner, Mr. Francis Fenwick Pearson.
William Croft of Claughton, who died in 1606,
was stated to hold messuages in Gressingham of the
king by the serjeanty of being forester in Cawood and
Quernmore. (fn. 21–22)
The church stands at the end of the
village close to the river and consists of chancel with vestry on the
north side, nave with south aisle and south porch.
There is a bell-cote over the west gable containing
one bell. Down to the year 1897, when the chancel
was added, the building, which appears to be of late
15 th or early 16th-century date, was in plan a plain
rectangle about 50 ft. long by 25 ft. 6 in. wide
internally, comprising nave and south aisle under one
roof with the sanctuary at the east end. The building was repaired in 1788, assuming then more or less
the aspect it retained till the last restoration, and a
small vestry added on the north side. Most of the
windows were altered and a doorway made at the
west end. The present bell-cote belongs to the
1788 reconstruction. In 1897 the building was
thoroughly overhauled, a new and larger vestry
being built, the porch reconstructed, and all the
windows except that at the east end of the aisle
being replaced by modern Gothic ones. The roof
was renewed and covered with stone slates, and the
sanctuary lengthened 15 ft. 6 in. to the east as a
chancel, projecting that distance in front of the aisle.
All the fittings are modern. The organ was given
The east window is of four lights with perpendicular tracery in the head, and part of the hood
mould of the old window with carved head terminations has been retained. The whole of the walling
is of rubble masonry without plinth or string, but
there are buttresses on the south side, at the ends of
the aisle and against the west respond of the arcade.
The old window at the end of the aisle is of two
lights with rounded head, and is perfectly plain in
character. The arcade consists of four pointed
arches of two chamfered orders without hood moulds
springing from octagonal piers with moulded capitals
and bases and from similar responds at either end.
The arcade occupies the whole length of the original
building without any portion of blank wall at the
ends, and the arches rise slightly from west to east,
there being a difference of 3 in. in height between
the capitals of the first and third piers from the west.
The capital of the easternmost pier has some rough
carvings on five of its sides, and the other capitals
may have been also ornamented, but they have been
roughly used and perhaps rechiselled. One of the
carvings on the eastern pier represents a dog chasing
a hare, another is a blank shield reversed, and a third
a slung horn. The horn also occurs on a stone now
built into the south wall of the chancel.
The aisle is 7 ft. 6 in. wide, the width of the nave
being 16 ft. The west doorway was built up in 1897
and a three-light Gothic window inserted in its place.
There is no structural division between the chancel
and the nave, the chancel fittings occupying part of
the first bay westward. The font is modern, but
the 18th-century one is in the churchyard. There
is a wooden collecting box with the initials and date
The registers begin in 1626.
The origin and dedication of the
chapel at Arkholme are unknown. In
the list of 1610 it is joined with
Hornby as served by a ' stipendiary reader, Mr.
Mann. (fn. 23) In 1650 it was reported that the minister
there had £4 13s. 4d., 'anciently paid by the inhabitants of the chapelry'; this had been augmented
by £40 a year out of the sequestered estate of Lord
Morley. The minister at that time was Mr. Foster. (fn. 24)
Curates are mentioned in 1674 and 1677. (fn. 25) In 1717
it was recorded that the curate preached every
Sunday and read prayers every holy day; the' priest's
wages' amounted to £8 10s. paid in small sums by
the people. (fn. 26) Afterwards some augmentation was
obtained (fn. 27) and perpetual curates, now vicars, were
appointed. The income is now given as £106.
A district chapelry was formed in 1863. (fn. 28) The
vicar of Melling presents.
The following is a list oi incumbents (fn. 29) :—
|1758||John Wilson (fn. 30) |
|1792||Robert Cort (fn. 31) |
|1800||Henry Halliwell, M.A. (fn. 32) (Fellow of Brasenose Coll., Oxf.)|
|1801||Henry Sill, M.A. (fn. 33) (Brasenose Coll., Oxf.)|
|1826||Robert Dunderdale, M.A. (fn. 34) |
|1866||Thomas Machell Remington, M.A. (fn. 35) (Trinity Coll., Camb.)|
|1873||Joseph Hunter, B.A. (Christ's Coll., Camb.)|
|1883||Thomas Robinson (fn. 36) |
|1893||Richard Hamilton Horsfall, M.A. (Dur.)|
|1907||William Shepherd, M.A. (Dur.)|
There is a Wesleyan chapel built in 1890.