This is a wide tract of hill country, most of it
quite solitary, though the northern end has many
farmsteads. The southern boundary is formed by
Mallowdale Fell, a ridge 1,750 ft. above sea level.
The Roebum rises in the south-east corner and flows
north-west and then north to join the Hindburn at
Wray; the latter half of its course lies through a
wooded valley. On the western side it has Haylot,
Winder and Whit Moor, the boundary hills decreasing
in height till 600 ft. marks the northern boundary;
on the eastern side are Salter Fell, Goodber Fell,
Harterbeck and Outhwaite. The area is 8,840½ acres, (fn. 38)
and the population in 1901 numbered 95.
There are roads up the valley from Wray and
Hornby, as well as footpaths. One of these roads
goes along the high ground of Salters Fell and over
the border into Yorkshire; not a house is passed for
There was properly speaking no manor
of ROEBURNDALE, which was part of
the forest of the lords of Hornby, (fn. 39) and it
continues to be part of the Hornby estate. It is
scarcely ever named in the records, (fn. 40) but in the 16th
and 17th centuries some minor estates appear, such
as Scambler, (fn. 41) Outhwaite (fn. 42) and Winder. (fn. 43) John
Coulston of Kellet in Roeburndale registered his estate
in 1717 as a 'Papist. (fn. 44)
||8,824 acres, including 19 of inland
Water; Census Rep. 1901.
||This ' forest of Roger de Montbegon '
is mentioned in 1199 in the description
of the bounds of Littledale in Caton;
Chart. R. (Rec. Com.), xlb.
The 'chase of Roeburndale' is mentioned in a fine concerning the Hornby
fee in 1363; Final Conc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs,
and Ches.), ii, 169.
||In 1285 the agistment of Roeburndale
was valued at, £6 19s. a year; Lancs. Inq.
and Extents (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and Ches.),
James King of Hornby and Roeburndale paid £10 in 1631 on refusing
knighthood; Misc. (Rec. Soc. Lancs, and
Ches.), i, 220.
||Percival Harrington of Huyton, who
died in 1535, held four messuages, &c,
in Scambler of Lord Mounteagle; Duchy
of Lane. Inq. p.m. viii, no. 41.
In 1569 William Middlebrook as feoffee
of Richard Primett deceased claimed a
moiety of the messuage called Scambler
against the executors; Ducatus Lanc. (Rec.
Com.), ii, 380.
Thomas Benison the younger, an
attorney, was in 1688 described as of
Scambler House. About 1720 he married
Anne Winder, daughter and heir of John
Dowbiggin, and settled in Hornby, dying
in 1738; Pal. Note-Bk. iii, 261, 280.
||Margaret de Nevill, widow, lady of
Hornby, in 1316–17 granted Ulvethwaite
in the hamlet of Wray to the occupier,
Adam the Tanur of Hornby, with remainder to his son William de Hornby and
issue; Dods. MSS. cxlix, fol. 93b. Sir Robert
de Nevill released to Adam de Hornby and
his heirs his title in lands held by Adam for
life in Hornby, Wray and Melling; ibid.
William Kirkby of Upper Rawcliffe in
1596 held land in Outhwaite (Ulthwait)
and Roeburndale as part of his Tatham
estate; Duchy of Lanc. Inq. p.m. xvii,
John Hind died in or before 1627,
when it was found that he held a messuage
and land in Outhwaite of Henry Lord
Morley and Mounteagle as of the manor
of Hornby. Robert (perhaps a brother)
was his next heir, and twenty-six years of
age, but the deceased had by his will
(1623) left the property to a brother
Francis Hind-, Towneley MS. C 8, 13
(Chet. Lib.), 508.
||Henry Faithwaite of Littledale in
1719 married Elizabeth daughter of
Thomas Dowbiggin of High Winder (who
had died in 1695) and heir of her brother
Lancelot; and in 1735–6 he paid the
customary rent of 10s. 4½d. for High
Winder to the steward of Francis
Charteris; Mr. J. R. Faithwaite's D.
||Estcourt and Payne, Engl. Cath. Nonjurors, 144.