Churches, religious houses and charities
In the 19th year of king Richard II. anno 1395,
archbishop William de Courtney intending to make
the parish church of St. Mary of Maidstone collegiate,
obtained the king's licence, dated at his castle of Ledes,
August 2, that year, to erect that church into a college, and to establish it as a college for ever, to consist
of one master or keeper, and as many fellow chaplains,
and other ministers in it, with licence to the archbishop,
to assign to them the advowson and patronage of this
parish church, and the chapels annexed to it, then held
of the king in capite, to hold of the archbishop and his
successors, in free, pure and perpetual alms appropriated
to them, as part of their maintenance for ever. And
he further granted, that the archbishop might assign the
hospital of the apostles Peter and Paul of the New
Work of Maidstone, and all the possessions of it, with
their appurtenances, and also the advowsons of the
churches of Suttone, Lillingtone, and Farlegh to the
hospital appropriated, and then of the king's patronage,
all which were held in like manner of the king in capite, to the said master and chaplains, to hold of the
archbishop in pure and perpetual alms for ever; and
that the archbishop might unite, incorporate, and annex the hospital, and all the possessions of it, with their
appurtenances, to the master and chaplains, to the better
maintenance of them, provided, that the alms accustomed to be paid to the poor in the hospital, should
be continued there for their maintenance in future
times, &c. (fn. 1)
To the above appropriations Adam Mottrum, archdeacon of Canterbury, gave his assent; and the next
year the king granted to them by his letters patent, the
advowson of the church of Crundale, together with
the reversion of Tremworth and Fannes, in free, pure
and perpetual alms for ever, and in his 21st year he
granted them other lands and tenements, and king
Henry IV. in his 1st year, confirmed the last grant of
king Richard II. of the above advowson and manors,
by inspeximus; and in the 8th year of his reign, he
confirmed to them the licence granted by king Richard, to purchase lands and tenements, of the real
yearly value of forty pounds, so that the same were not
held in capite. And further, being willing that the said
grant should have all due effect, he granted his licence
to Richard Lentwardyn and John Harlegh, clerks, to
give and assign to the said master and college, the manor of Wightresham, with other lands and tenements,
and their appurtenances, in Maydestone, Lose, Boxele,
and Hoo, which were not held of him, to hold to them
and their successors, as the value of fifty marcs per annum, in full satisfaction of the said forty pounds of
lands, tenements, &c.
Archbishop Courtney erected the college and buildings for the habitation of the master and other members, and for the other uses of it, on the bank of the river
adjoining to the south side of the cemetery of his
church, and as he died the year after he had obtained
the king's licence for the founding his college, it is
most probable the buildings of it had been begun some
time before, for it seems to have been finished in his
life-time, as were the alterations he made in the church
for the convenience of the members of his new college,
which, as well as the church, he dedicated anew to All
Saints. To defray the charge of all which, the archbishop procured a bull to collect for that purpose fourpence in the pound of all ecclesiastical benefices within
his province; but the bishop of Lincoln forbad the levying of it within his diocese, and appealed to the
pope; but whilst the suit was depending the archbishop died.
The patronage of this college and church continued
part of the possessions of the archbishopric of Canterbury till archbishop Cranmer, in the 9th year of king
Henry VIII. exchanged the advowson and patronage of
the college and church of Our Lady of Maidstone, and
the advowson, donation, &c. of the chantry founded in
Maidstone by archbishop Arundel, with the king, for
other premises therein mentioned.
The college of All Saints was dissolved by the act of
parliament, passed for the suppression of all colleges,
free chapels, and chantries, in the 1st year of king Edward VI. anno 1546, and was surrendered into the king's
hands accordingly, with all its lands and possessions.
The first master of this college was John Wotton,
rector of Staplehurst, and canon of Chichester, who
dying in 1417, was buried in this church, on the south
side of the great chancel or choir, (fn. 2) where most of his
successors were likewise buried, one of whom, William
Grocyn, was admitted master in 1506. He was a famous learned man, educated in Wickham's colleges,
and travelled into Italy, where he acquired a greater
proficiency in the Latin and Greek tongues, which he
taught at Oxford in a method unattempted before, at
which time he was the tutor and familiar friend of Erasmus, and died in 1522 greatly esteemed for his profound learning, at the age of eighty, and was buried at
the end of the stalls in the great chancel, called the high
choir, in this church. (fn. 3)
John Lease, LL. D. the last master, surrendered this
college into king Edward VI's hands, in his first year,
anno 1546. (fn. 4) This college was valued at the suppression at 212l. 5s. 3½d. per annum, in its whole revenues,
and 159l. 7s. 10d. clear annual income.
King Edward VI. by his letters patent, in his 3d
year, granted this college, with lands and tenements in
this parish, late belonging to it, all which were freed
from any payment of tithes, in like manner as they were
before the suppression of the college, to Sir George
Brooke, lord Cobham, whose grandson, Henry, lord
Cobham, forfeited it, together with the rest of his
estates, for high treason in the 1st year of James I.
In the reign of king Charles I. Sir Edward Henden,
one of the barons of the exchequer, was in possession
of it; after which it passed into the family of Marsham,
in which it continues at this time, being part of the
estate of the right hon. Charles Marsham, lord Romney.
There are great remains left of this college, which
appears to have been large and handsome; it is built of
stone, and of gothic architecture; the entrance or
gateway is almost entire; the whole is now made use
of as a dwelling-house.
THE FRATERNITY OF CORPUS CHRISTI, in Maidstone, was founded by several of the inhabitants of the
town. The house in which the brethren inhabited
stood at the lower end of Earl-street, alias Bullocklane, at a small distance from the river. The chapel
or refectory, and three sides of the cloyster are still remaining.
It appears from a MSS. preserved among the archives of this town, which contains the accounts of this
brotherhood in the years 1480 and 1481, that besides
the members of it residing in the above house, they admitted extra members into their fraternity, both men
and women, to the number of one hundred and twenty
persons and upwards. Among these are named many
persons of distinction, as Sir Thomas Bourchier, of
Leeds, Sir Henry Ferrers, John Wormsell, abbot of
Boxley, John Munden, vicar there, Jacob Chirche,
vicar of Thurnham, and others, inhabitants of this
They all paid an annual sum, for the most part eighteen pence or two shillings each; but those of a higher
rank contributed more, as 3s. 4d. 6s. 8d. and the like.
Besides which they had several gifts and legacies, and
an estate both in lands and houses; out of which was
maintained the fraternity, who dwelt in the mansion of
it, who followed the rule of St. Benedict in many particulars, and their chaplain, who was allowed 6l. 13s. 4d.
annual wages. In their own chapel it was their custom
to celebrate solemn dirges and masses on the death of
any of the brothers and sisters belonging to it, which
brought them in no inconsiderable profit; (fn. 5) besides
which, they maintained out of their revenues one priest,
to celebrate within the church of All Saints.
At the suppression of this fraternity and chantry, by
the act passed in the 1st year of king Edward VI. the
revenues of it were valued at 40l. 0s. 8d. clear value;
and the fraternity then possessed likewise several cottages and tenements, wherein the poor and impotent
persons inhabited, without any payment whatsoever. (fn. 6)
After which the mansion called the Brotherhood-hall,
the Fraternity, and the lands of Corpus Christi, with
their appurtenances, were purchased of the crown by
the corporation of Maidstone out of the monies received from the sale of some vestments, plate, &c. belonging to the church.
But a dispute arising among the inhabitants, concerning the making this purchase, and the settling part
of the lands to this use, several endeavouring to obstruct the design of it, the duke of Somerset, then lord
protector, sent a letter to them, exhorting them to unanimity in a matter which tended so much to the advancement of God's honor, and the common wealth;
which appears to have had the desired effect.
ARCHBISHOP PARKER, in the 4th year of queen
Elizabeth, in obedience to the queen's command, returned an account of the several schools and hospitals
in this diocese, and among them, that there was A
SCHOOL erected at Maidstone, by the charge of the
mayor and commonalty of the town, who had purchased
of the late king certain lands to that intent, amounting
to 9l. 6s. 8d. per annum, and that it was not charged
with tenths. (fn. 7)
At present the master is chosen by the inhabitants of
the town and parish of Maidstone, assembled in vestry.
He is intitled to a very good house, with proper offices
and conveniences, late the mansion and buildings of
the fraternity above-mentioned, together with the rents
and profits of a farm of eleven pounds per annum, and
a salary of twenty pounds per annum paid by the corporation of Maidstone. It is said, the first payment
made by the corporation was in 1660, and that the
same was part of Mr. Lamb's gift.
By the charter granted by queen Elizabeth to this
town, the corporation was empowered to make wholesome orders and statutes for the government of the
masters and scholars; in consequence of which several
rules and orders were made for that purpose.
Mr. Thomas Cole was the first schoolmaster. The
Rev. Thomas Evans is the present master.
This school has had some considerable benefactors
William Lamb, a gentleman of the chapel to king
Henry VIII. and a freeman of the Cloth workers
company, among his other charities, gave 10l. yearly
to it, with this proviso, that the children of needy men
only should be preferred to the enjoying this benefit.
Robert Gunsley, clerk, rector of Titsey, in Surry,
by his will in 1618, gave the rectory and parsonage of
Flamsted, in Hertfordshire, with its appurtenances, to
the master and fellows of University college, in Oxford, to the intent that they should make choice of four
scholars, who should be chosen by the master and fellows, one half out of the grammar-school of Rochester,
and the other half out of this of Maidstone, such only
as were born in the county of Kent, and none other,
except such as should be of his kindred; and as often
as these scholarships should become void, that they
should be filled up by the master and fellows out of
the schools before mentioned, within three months;
and that the charges of the master and such fellows as
should be sent and employed in the election, should
be borne and deducted out of the allowance appointed
to the scholar or scholars, who should be elected in
the interim of the three months; all which scholars,
as they or any of them should attain to their rooms or
places, should be maintained by the master and fellows at some grammar school, until they were fit to
go to University College, and then be placed there by
them, with fit and convenient chambers, and that
they should allow to each of the four scholars, yearly,
fifteen pounds a piece; those of his name and kindred to be preferred before any other; and that the
master and fellows should pay to the curate and curates of Flamsted the yearly sum of sixty pounds, as
his or their salary; the election of which curate should
be from time to time by the master and fellows, provided, nevertheless, that whenever the curate's place
should be void, one of his own scholars should have
the refusing of it before any other.
In pursuance of this benefaction, four scholars,
chosen from this school and that at Rochester, are at
this time allowed chambers at University college, and
fifteen pounds per annum each of them. About one
half of the scholars, which have been so chosen, appear to have been of the name or of kindred to the
John Davy, M. D. of this town, in 1649, gave by
his will all his lands in the parish of Newchurch in
this country, containing sixteen acres of land, then
let at eighteen pounds per annum, for the better
maintenance of the master and usher of this school.
IT IS SAID, there was once a CONVENT of FRANCISCAN or GREY FRIARS, founded in this town by
king Edward III. and his brother, John earl of Cornwall, about the year 1331. No further mention is
made of it, either as to revenue or situation; (fn. 8) so that
probably they were soon afterwards removed perhaps
to Walsingham, in Norfolk, to which place king Edward III. in the year 1345, procured leave of pope
Clement VI. to remove some of these friars, and to
build a convent there for them. (fn. 9)
At the corner of East-lane next the high town,
there was antiently a house, having several Gothic
arches in it, and several rooms vaulted with stone,
which in the old deeds of it was named the priory or
WILLIAM HEWITT, gent. in 1568, gave four marcs a year to
the poor of this town.
SIR HENRY CUTTS, in 1602, gave 3l. per annum to the poor.
ROBERT GUNSLEY, rector of Titsey, in Surry, by his will,
in 1618, gave in trust the rectory and parsonage of Broadhempston, in Devonshire, to the intent, a licence of mortmain should
be procured, and the same conveyed and assured to such persons
as should be thought adviseable, for the relief of the poor people
inhabiting in the parishes of Maidstone and Rochester, by equal
portions, to be bestowed in bread every sabbath day, and in
cloaths to cover them, according as the rents of it would allow
The licence was afterwards procured, and the rectory conveyed
accordingly. The half part of the present rents and profits of it,
amounting to 15l. 15s. is yearly distributed among the poor people of Maidstone, agreeable to the will of the donor.
SIR JOHN Astley gave a large silver flaggon to the use of the
altar, in the reign of king Charles I.
ELIZABETH MASON, widow, in 1642, gave a part of two messuages towards the maintenance of two widows during their lives.
ALEXANDER FISHER, fourth and youngest son of Walter
Fisher, formerly mayor of this town, died in 1671, and by his
will gave 38l. per annum, in land, to this corporation, for binding out three freemen's sons to trades yearly, and in the payment
of 40s. each per annum, to four poor widows during life. (fn. 10)
ROBERT ROWLAND, a native of this town, and citizen, and
armourer and brazier of London, gave to the parish church of
Maidstone a large and elegant sconce of brass; and by his will,
in 1707, devised to the corporation 120l. to be lent to twelve
young men, newly out of their time, to forward their setting up
in trade, at 10l. a piece, for which they should pay 6s. 8d. per
annum interest each, amounting in the whole to 4l. which sum
he willed should be annually disposed of to the minister of Maidstone, for preaching a sermon yearly on Feb. 1, by candle light;
to the reader, clerk, churchwardens, and for candles, 1l. and to
the poor under the cliff, upon the bridge and over the bridge,
near which he was born, 2l.
SIR JOHN BANKS, bart. of Aylesford, a native of this town,
and one of its representatives, by his will, in 1697, ordered six
neat and convenient alms houses to be built; and endowed them
with 60l per annum, clear of all deductions, for the habitation
and maintenance of six poor aged persons of both sexes, to be
appointed by his heirs, and to keep the said buildings in repair.
These houses were accordingly erected in the year 1700.
THOMAS BLISS, esq. a native of this town, and several times
one of its representatives in parliament, in 1720, built a workhouse, on which he expended upwards of 700l. for the benefit of
the poor of this town and parish, on a piece of ground on which
several parish houses before stood. It is a large brick building,
three stories high, and has a large kitchen behind it, suitable to
the number of inhabitants the house contains.
By the care and influence of Dr. Josiah Woodward, curate of
this parish, two charity schools were set up in 1711, in this town,
to which several charitable persons at different times afterwards
gave their benefactions of money; and Mrs. Martha Godden, in
the year 1721, gave two pieces of land to it for ever, of the annual value of 50s.
MR. JOHN BARRINGTON, gentleman, who died in 1738, besides being a good benefactor to the above mentioned charityschools in his life time, directed his executors, by his will, after
his debts, legacies, and funeral expences were paid, to dispose of
the surplus of his estate, which was only personal, to the relief
of so many poor families in this parish as they should think had
most need of it, not exceeding 5l. in one family; accordingly
there was distributed the sum of 184l. 3s. 6d. besides 8l. directed
by him to be given to twelve poor widows, not receiving alms of
the parish, in equal portions.
JOHN BELL, esq. gave 10l. the interest of it to be laid out in
bread for the poor yearly, on Christmas day.
AN UNKNOWN PERSON gave a silver plate, for collecting the
offerings made at the altar.
NICHOLAS TOKE, esq. in 1734, gave a large silver flaggon,
for the use of the altar.
MRS. ELIZABETH BLECHENDEN, in 1734, gave a silver dish
for the same use.
MR. EDWARD HUNTER, the first mayor after the grant of the
new charter, in 1748, erected six alms houses in Maidstone, in
the road leading from thence to the Mote, and during his life,
permitted six persons to dwell in them rent free; and by his will
devised 8l. per annum to each of the three men and three women
who should inhabit therein rent free, to be nominated from time
to time by the right hon. lord Romney, the perpetual curate of
Maidstone, and the recorder of Maidstone for the time being,
whom he appointed trustees of his said charity.
MAIDSTONE is within the diocese of Canterbury
and deanry of Sutton, and is exempt from the jurisdiction of the archdeacon.
The church stands at the western part of the town,
on the bank of the river Medway. It was at first
dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but when archbishop
Courtney had rebuilt the chancel, and refitted the
rest of it, on his having obtained a licence in the 19th
year of king Richard II. to make it collegiate, he dedicated it anew to All Saints.
The stalls for the master and fellows of the college
are still remaining in the chancel, in which the arms
of archbishop Courtney appear in several places, but
no where in the body of the church, which makes it
probable the latter was part of the old parish church
of St. Mary, and not rebuilt by the archbishop. The
church is a large handsome building, consisting of a
nave, great chancel, and two side isles; the roof is
lofty, and is covered throughout with lead. At the
west end it has a handsome well built tower, on which
there was a spire covered with lead, near eighty feet
high, which was burnt down by lightning, on Nov. 2,
1730. In the tower were eight bells, a clock, and
chimes; the bells, in 1784, were new cast into ten,
by Chapman and Mears of London.
In the year 1700, the body of the church was neatly and regularly pewed; on each side is a commodious gallery, one of which was built at the expence
of Sir Robert Marsham, bart. then one of the repretatives for this town, and afterwards created lord
There were antiently in this church numbers of inscriptions on brass plates, as well on the monuments
as grave stones, which are now almost torn away. In
the middle of the great chancel there is a tomb-stone,
raised a little above the pavement, with the marks of
the portraiture of a bishop, in his mitre and robes,
and of an inscription round it, but the brass of the
whole is torn away. This is supposed to be the cenotaph of archbishop Courtney, the founder of this
church, for it was the custom in those times for persons of eminent rank and quality to have tombs erected to their memory in more places than one.
The archbishop was son of Hugh Courtney, earl
of Devonshire, by Margaret, daughter of Humphry
Bohun, earl of Essex and Hereford, accordingly the
arms of Courtney and Bohun impaled, are in several
parts of this chancel. The archbishop died at his
palace in Maidstone, in 1396, and in the first part of
his will directed his body to be buried in the cathedral church of Exeter, where he had formerly been a
prebendary; afterwards, lying on his death bed, he
changed his mind in this point, and holding his body
unworthy of burial in his metropolitical, or any other
cathedral or collegiate church, he wills to be buried
in the church yard of his collegiate church at Maidstone, in the place designed for John Boteler, his esquire; but it appears by a leiger book of Christ church,
Canterbury, that king Richard II. happening to be
then at Canterbury, when the archbishop was to be
buried, perhaps at the request of the monks, overruled the archbishops intention, and commanded his
body to be there entombed, where he lies, under a
fair monument of alabaster, with his portraiture on
it, at the feet of the Black Prince. Thus Somner,
Godwin, M. Parker, and Camden; but Weever thinks,
notwithstanding the above, that he was buried under
his tomb in this chancel of Maidstone.
The rectory of this church, with the chapels of
Loose and Detling annexed, was appropriated by archbishop Courtney, by the bull of pope Boniface IX. (fn. 11)
with the king's licence, in the 19th year of king
Richard II. to his new founded college here, but the
patronage of the advowson, it seems, he reserved to
himself and his successors; in which state it remained
till archbishop Cranmer, in the 29th year of king
Henry VIII. exchanged the advowson and patronage
of the college and church with the king. (fn. 12)
Upon the dissolution of the college, in the 1st year
of king Edward VI. the rectory and advowson became both vested in the crown, and the church was
left, through the king's favour, to the inhabitants of
this town and parish, as it had been before it was made
collegiate, the grant of it, together with the church
yard being confirmed to them by the charter granted
by king James I. in his 2d year, for their parish church
and church yard, for the purpose of divine service,
burying the dead, &c. as the same was then used.
Whilst the college remained, the parish found no
ill effects from the appropriation of the rectory, as the
master and fellows caused divine service to be constantly performed in the church, and the cure of the
parish to be properly served; but when the college
was dissolved, and the great and small tithes appropriated to it were granted away by the crown, the parishioners suffered much from the scantiness of the
provision remaining for a person properly qualified to
undertake the cure of so large and populous a parish,
a small stipend only with the oblations, obventions,
&c. being all that was left for the officiating minister,
under the title of perpetual curate. King Edward VI.
in his 4th year, granted to Sir Thomas Wyatt, among
other premises, this rectory of Maidstone, to (fn. 13) hold in
capite by knight's service; but he engaging in a rebellion in the 1st year of queen Mary, forfeited it,
with the rest of his estates, to the crown, whence the
patronage of the curacy was granted by that queen, in
her 6th year, to archbishop cardinal Pool, and she demised the rectory of this church for a term of years to
Christopher Roper, esq. (fn. 14) the same being then of the
value of 81l. (fn. 15)
Queen Elizabeth, in her 3d year, granted the reversion of this rectory in exchange, among other premises, to Matthew, archbishop of Canterbury, at
which time it was valued as follows:
The rectory of Maidstone, with the tenths of the
chapels of Loose and Detling, the tenths of Loddington and in Estrey were worth yearly 74l. out of which
there was paid to the chief priest of Maidstone, 20l.
to his two assistants each, 6l. 13s. 4d. to the curates
of Loose and Detling each, 2l. 13s. 4d. in all, 38l.
14s. 4d. notwithstanding these deductions, it does
not appear that there was after this more than one
appointed to officiate here, to whom the archbishop
paid a salary of 10l. per annum.
Archbishop Whitgift, in 1583, augmented the curate's salary 10l. per annum. (fn. 16) Archbishop Juxon, in
obedience to the directions of king Charles II. in
1660, for augmenting the maintenance of vicars and
curates, made an addition of 37l. 6s. 8d. per annum. (fn. 17)
Archbishop Sancroft, among other acts of pious beneficence, granted by lease, in 1677, to Humphry
Lynd, curate and preacher of Maidstone, for augmentation of his maintenance, all the small tithes of
the borough of Week (fn. 18) and Stone within this parish,
the commodities of the church-yard, and one moiety
of all the small tithes within the town and borough
of Maidstone;h notwithstanding which he has a
maintenance by no means proportionable to the greatness of his cure and labour.
Upon a trial in the exchequer in 1707, concerning
the curate's right to the vicarage tithes of Lodington,
it was suggested, that this curacy was worth three
hundred pounds per annum; to which it was replied,
that the legal dues were not more than one hundred
and sixty pounds per ann. (fn. 19) Lodington is situated between three and four miles from Maidstone, and separated by other parishes intervening; it is said, there
was once a chapel in it, situated in a spot now called
Glover's garden, where of late years some stones and
foundations have been dug up. I believe the curates
have not enjoyed these tithes for some time.
The rectory is still part of the revenues of the archbishop, who nominates the perpetual curate of this
town and parish.
The curacy is not in charge in the king's books.
In the 37th year of queen Elizabeth, Levin Bufkin
was farmer of the rectory, under the archbishop. In
1643, Sir Edward Henden, one of the barons of the
exchequer, was lessee of it. In 1741, Thomas Bliss,
esq. held the lease of it of the archbishop. It afterwards came into the possession of William Horsmonden Turner, by virtue of the limitation of whose
will his interest in it is now vested in William Baldwin, esq. of Harrietsham.
THERE WAS ANOTHER CHURCH, or rather a FREE
CHAPEL, dedicated to St. Faith, situated in the northernmost part of the town from that above mentioned,
being most probably erected for the use of those inhabitants of this parish, who lived at too great a distance to frequent the other. It seems to have been
surrendered up into the king's hands, in conformity
to the act of the 1st year of king Edward VI. and,
with the church-yard, to have been purchased of the
crown afterwards by the inhabitants; but whether
then used for religious worship does not appear.
Some time afterwards it became part of the estate
of the Maplesdens, of whom it was purchased in the
reign of king James I. by Arthur Barham, esq. who
possessed the manor of Chillington, at which time he
acknowledged the right of the corporation to use the
chapel of St. Faith for divine service, and the chapelyard for burials, if they thought fit; at present only
the chancel is standing, which for many years was
used for a place of public worship by the Walloons:
upon the dispersing of this congregation, by archbishop Laud in 1634, this chapel was shut up for some
small time, when it was again made use of by a congregation of Presbyterians, who continued to meet
there till about 1735, when they built themselves a
meeting house elsewhere. Part of it is now a dwelling house, and the rest of it was some years converted into an assembly room; it is now made use of as a
boarding school for young ladies.
The scite and what remains of this fabric was lately
the property of the heirs of Sir Tho. Taylor, bart. of
the Park-house. It was afterwards purchased by Mr.
Samuel Fullager, gent. the heir of whose son, Mr.
Christopher Fullager, of this town, is proprietor of it.
THERE were TWO CHANTRIES founded in this
church, one by Robert Vinter, in the reign of king
Edward III. who gave two estates in this parish, called Goulds and Shepway, for the support of a priest
performing certain divine offices in the church of
Maidstone, whence it acquired the name of GOULD'S
CHANTRY, a full account of which, and of the possessors of those estates, after its suppression to the present owner of them, the Rt. Hon. Charles lord Romney, has already been given in the description of them.
The other chantry was founded by Thomas Arundell, archbishop of Canterbury, in the year 1405, be
ing the 7th of king Henry IV. who that year granted
his licence to the archbishop, to found two chantries;
one of which, of one chaplain, was in this collegiate
church, at the altar of St. Thomas the Martyr, to celebrate daily service for his soul, &c. for which the archbishop granted, that he should have a yearly stipend
of ten marcs out of Northfleet parsonage. The advowson or donation remained with the several archbishops of Canterbury till archbishop Cranmer, in the
29th year of king Henry VIII. conveyed his right in
it to the king, in exchange for other premises. This
chantry was dissolved by the act of the 1st year of
king Edward VI. at the same time the college itself
CHURCH OF MAIDSTONE.
|PATRONS, Or by whom presented.
Archbishops of Canterbury
John Mansell, obt. in 1264. (fn. 21)
William de Tyrington, 1394. (fn. 22)
Guido de Mone, in the reign of king Richard II. The last rector.
Richard Augur, in the reign ofking Edward VI.
John Day, in 1553. (fn. 23)
Archbishop of Canterbury
Robert Carr, in 1559.
Robert Barrell, A.M. 1602. (fn. 24)
Samuel Smith, intruded in 1643. (fn. 25)
T. Wilson, A.M. 1643, ob. 1651.
John Crump, eject. Aug. 1662.
Archbishop of Canterbury
John Davis, ob. July 3, 1677. (fn. 26)
Humphry Lynde, 1687. (fn. 27)
Edward Roman, obt. 1692.
Gilbert Innis, A. M. July 15,
1692, obt. May 5, 1711. (fn. 28)
Jofiah Woodward, S. T. P. obt.
Aug. 6, 1712. (fn. 29)
Samuel Weller, LL.D. 1712, ob.
1753. (fn. 30)
John Denne, A. M. 1753. The
present curate. (fn. 31)