NORTHWARD from Ofham lies Addington,
written in Domesday and antient charters, Eddingtune,
signifying, as I imagine, the town or territory of Adda,
or Edda, its antient Saxon owner; tun in Saxon being
a town or territory inclosed with a hedge or fence.
THE PARISH of Addington is not unpleasantly situated, for the greatest part on high ground, adjoining
to the northern side of the Maidstone road, at the
twenty-seventh mile stone, at a small distance from
which is the small rivulet which rises at Nepecker, in
Wrotham, and flowing through this parish is here called
Addington brook, whence the new-built house near it
takes its name of St. Vincent's, alias Addington brook,
built some years ago by admiral William Parry, who
resided in it till his death in 1779, he left by Lucy his
wife, daughter of Charles Brown, esq. commissioner of
the navy at Chatham, an only daughter, who carried it
in marriage to captain William Locker, the present
lieutenant-governor of Greenwich hospital. It was
lately inhabited by Mr. William Hunter, but is now
Hence the ground rises, and at a small distance above
it is the mansion and garden of Addington place, pleasantly situated on the side of the hill, having a lawn and
avenue down to the road, from which it is a conspicuous object, behind it still higher stands the church
and village, built round Addington green, over which
the road leads from Trottesclive, to which and Wrotham this parish joins towards the west. The soil is a
sand covering the quarry rock, but the land is most of
it but poor and unfertile, especially towards the north
and west parts of it, where the sand is deepest; in the
latter is a small green called Addington common.
Here is an eelbourn, or nailbourn, as they are commonly called, the stream of which breaks out with
great impetuosity once in seven or eight years, which
then directs its waters along a trench, dug for this
purpose, till it flows into the Leyborne rivulet, the
trout of which it makes of a red colour, which otherwise are white.
These nailbourns, or eruptions of water, are very
common in the eastern part of Kent, where the reason
of their breaking forth will be particularly mentioned.
In a place here, called the Warren, about five hundred paces north-eastward from the church, on a little
eminence, there are the remains of several large stones,
placed in an oval form; seventeen of them may be easily traced, though from the distances between the
stones, which are nearly equal, there must have been
at least twenty to complete the oval, which consisted
of only one row of stones. The sandiness of the soil
has covered many of them, which can, only by guessing
their distances, be found by thrusting of a stick into the
ground. Such of the stones as have fallen down, have
been carried away by the inhabitants for different uses.
The stones are of the same kind as those of Stonehenge,
and being placed in the same form, seem as if they
were intended for the same use. (fn. 1)
About one hundred and thirty paces to the northwest of the above is another heap of large stones, tum-
bled inwards one upon another. They originally
consisted of six in number, and in circuit measure
SOON AFTER the conquest, this place was become
part of the possessions of Odo, bishop of Baieux and
earl of Kent, the Conqueror's half-brother, under the
general title of whose lands it is thus entered in the
survey of Domesday, taken about the year 1080.
Ralf (son of Turald) holds Eddintune of the bishop
(of Baieux) for half a suling. The arable land is one
carucate, and there is . . . with four borderers, and two
servants, and there is one mill of twenty-three shillings.
The whole manor was valued at four pounds. In the
time of king Edward the Confessor, it was worth but
little. Lestan held it of king Edward, and after his
death turned himself over to Alnod Cilt, and now it is
And a little further thus:
Ralf, son of Turald, holds Eddintune of the bishop
(of Baieux). It was taxed at two sulings and an half.
The arable land is five carucates, in demesne there are
two, and six villeins, with nine borderers, having one
carucate. There is a church and ten servants, and two
mills of eleven shillings and two-pence, and twelve acres
of meadow, wood for the pannage of ten hogs. In the
time of king Edward the Confessor it was worth eight
pounds, when he received it one hundred shillings, now
six pounds. Agelred held it of king Edward.
These were plainly, by the descriptions, two separate estates, and both certainly, by their names, in this
parish, and held by the same person. On the disgrace of the bishop of Baieux, about four years afterwards, they became, among the rest of his possessions,
confiscated to the crown. Soon after which they seem
to have been held as one manor, by William de Gurnay, and afterwards by Galiena de Gurnay, his grandchild; they were succeeded in the possession of this
place by the family of Mandeville, or De Magna Villa,
as the name was written in Latin, who held it of the
family of Montchensie, as capital lords of the fee.
But this family was extinct here in the next reign
of king Edward II. for Roger del Escheker was owner
of it in the 7th year of it, (fn. 2) who assumed his name
from his hereditary office of usher of the exchequer,
whence he was called del Eschequer, de la Chekere, and
de Scaccario. (fn. 3) John de la Chekere possessed it in the
first year of king Edward III. in which he was succeeded by Nicholas de Daggeworth, (fn. 4) whose ancestor,
John de Daggeworth, had married Maud, one of the
sisters and coheirs of Simon del Exchequer. At the
accession of king Richard II. he was made of his privy
council, and afterwards steward of his houshold, keeper
of the great seal, and treasurer of England. (fn. 5) He bore
for his arms, Sable, a lion rampant, argent, crowned or,
with proper difference.
In the 20th year of king Edward III. he paid aid
for this manor, which Robert de Scaccario before
held in Addington, of Warine de Montchensie, as of
his manor of Swanscombe. He alienated it, before
the end of that reign, to Sir Hugh de Segrave, knight
batchelor, and he conveyed it to Richard Charles,
who died in the 2d year of king Richard II. anno
1378, and lies buried in this church, leaving his brother's sons, Richard and John, his next heirs.
Richard Charles, the eldest brother, possessed this
manor, whose son, Robert Charles, dying without
manor, whose son, Robert Charles, dying without
issue, his two sisters became his coheirs, Alice, married to William Snayth, and Joane to Richard Orme-
skirke; and upon the division of their inheritance,
this manor fell to the share of William Snayth, commonly called Snette, sheriff in the 9th year of king
Henry IV. who kept his shrievalty at his manor-house
of Addington, bearing for his arms, Argent, a chevron
between three birds heads erased, sable; two years after
which he died, and was buried, with Alice his wife,
in this church. He left an only daughter and heir
Alice, who carried this manor, with the rest of his
estates, in marriage to Robert Watton, who thenceforward resided at Addington. He was descended
from ancestors, who held lands in the parish of Ridley in the 20th year of king Edward III. and bore for
his arms, Argent, a lion rampant, gules, debruised with
a bend, sable, charged with three cross-croslets fitchee,
argent. He died possessed of the manor, and patronage of the church of Addington in the year 1444,
anno 23 king Henry VI. and was buried in this
His descendant, Thomas Watton, esq. of Addington, procured his lands in this county to be disgavelled by the act of 2d and 3d of king Edward VI.
and in his descendants, residents at this place, who on
their deaths were all buried in this church, (fn. 6) and his
manor, with the patronage of this church, continued
down to Edmund Watton, esq. of Addington, who
left an only daughter and heir Elizabeth, who marrying Leonard Bartholomew, second son of Leonard
Bartholomew, esq. of Oxenhoath, entitled him to this
estate. He had by her two sons; Edmund, who
died unmarried; and Leonard, who will be mentioned hereafter. On his death she again became possessed of this estate, which she carried in marriage to
her second husband, Sir Roger Twisden, bart. of
Bradbourn, whom she likewise survived, and dying in
1775, was succeeded in it by her only surviving son
by her first husband, Leonard Bartholomew, esq. who
resides at Addington-place, where he served the office
of sheriff in 1790, bearing for his arms, Or, three
goats erased sable. He married the daughter of Mr.
Wildash, of Chatham, widow of Mr. Thornton, of
East-Malling, by whom he has an only daughter,
married in 1797 to the hon. captain John Wingfield, brother to the lord viscount Powerscourt, of the
kingdom of Ireland.
There is a court leet and court baron held for this
manor, which is held of the manor of Swanscombe by
castle-guard to the castle of Rochester.
A PERSON UNKNOWN gave to the use of the poor the annual
sum of 15s. arising from land vested in Leonard Bartholomew,
esq. and now of that annual product.
ADDINGTON is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Rochester and deanry of
The church has a handsome tower steeple at the
west end. It is dedicated to St. Margaret. The present building was erected in 1403, as appears by the
following inscription on the wall of it:
In fourteen hundred and none,
Here was neither stick nor stone;
In fourteen hundred and three,
The goodly building which you see.
The church of Addington has always been an appendage to the manor, and as such this rectory is now
in the patronage of Leonard Bartholomew, esq.
It is endowed with all tithes whatsoever.
It is valued in the king's books at 6l. 6s. 8d. and
the yearly tenths at 12s. 8d.
William de Gurnay gave to the church and priory
of St. Andrew, in Rochester, in pure and perpetual
alms, certain tithes of the demesnes of his parish of
Edintune; but they lying so dispersed, that they
could not be conveniently gathered by the monks,
though they could be easily collected by the parson
of this church: therefore it was agreed, that the parson of it should pay the yearly sum of five shillings
to the monks of Rochester, on St. Andrew's day,
for them. (fn. 7)
This pension, after the dissolution of the priory in
the 31st year of king Henry VIII. was surrendered
into the king's hands, who granted it two years afterwards by his dotation charter, to his new-erected dean
and chapter of Rochester, to which it continues to be
paid at this time.
It appears by the endowment of the vicarage of
Hadlow, in this county, in 1287, that the rector of
that parish had been used, beyond memory, to pay
yearly the sum of eighteen-pence to the rector of this
church, which payment the vicar of Hadlow was enjoined to pay in future. (fn. 8)
CHURCH OF ADDINGTON.
|PATRONS, Or by whom presented.||RECTORS.|
|Lords of the manor of Addington.||Mr. Edward Drayner, A. B. about 1630. (fn. 9) |
|John Boraston, A. M. instituted August 6, 1702, obt. June 9,1741. (fn. 10) |
|Thomas Buttonshaw, A. M. presented July 1741, obt. 1768. (fn. 11) |
|Daniel Hill, A. M. 1768, the present rector. (fn. 12) |