ADDITIONS AND CORRECTIONS
THIRD AND FOURTH VOLUMES.
TO VOLUME III.
THIS PARISH is supposed to be about twenty miles
round, and to contain five thousand acres of land, of which
seven hundred are woodland. The soil, though chalky on
the side of the hills, is a strong clay otherwise on the summit of them; the valley is a hazely mould, the meadows
rather wet and marshy; there are about one hundred houses.
There are two mills, the one a corn mill belonging to Thomas Borrett, esq. the other a paper mill belonging to Mr.
James Bedill, of Ruxley.
PAGE 13. At the north end of this parish is Broke farm,
the property of Mr. John Goodhew.
PAGE 27. Two thirds of Serjeants Otford manor, late
belonging to Sir Charles F. Radcliffe, bart. was sold, as to
his life estate in them, to lord Amherst, who died in 1797,
and his nephew and heir William Pitt Amherst, lord Amherst, now possesses them, but after Sir Charles's death, they
will devolve by entail, to his brother John Farnaby, esq. of
Kemsing and Seale.
PAGE 45. For Porter read Potkyn, and the like page 58.
The vicarage of Kemsing with Seal, consists of the small
tithes of both parishes, with a portion of the great tithes in
Seale, formerly called Bordirivere, now Under River, consisting of about eight hundred acres of land.
PAGE 61. Ashgrove does not belong to Mrs. Smith, but
to Mrs. Otway, widow of Francis Otway, esq.
Ibid. For Peter Nonaille read Nouaille.
PAGE 67. Panthurst, or Panters, belongs to Multon
PAGE 61. Northward of the plain is a seat, some few
years since belonging to Sir Multon Lambard, whose widow
afterwards resided in it, since which John Pratt, esq. late of
Wilderness, occupied it and died here in 1797, the property
of it belonged, and does now to Multon Lambard, esq. of
PAGE 90. Britains adjoins to the estate of Kippington.
PAGE 95. Lord Amherst died in August, 1797, and his
nephew and heir William Pitt Amherst now (by his uncle's
second patent) lord Amherst, of Montreal, is the present
owner of this seat, and the rest of his estates in this county.
PAGE 104. Greatnesse. This is mentioned in the parish
of Swanscombe, vol. ii. p. 400, as meaning Greenhyth; paying
too implicit a respect to Mr. Thorpe's opinion, I placed it
there, but wrong, for it certainly was meant for the chapel
at Greatness, in Sevenoke church.
PAGE 137, line 9. For their read his.
PAGE 159. Mariners belongs to Mr. Edward, son of
Mr. Stafford Whitaker, who resides in it.
PAGE 186. Brown's Court. Mr. Boddington sold it to
Mr. Beecher Walter, the present owner.
PAGE 187, line 9. . . . read John Henniker Major, esq.
PAGE 190. Poelbrooks is an antient seat now belonging to
Mrs. Payne, daughter and sole heir of William Douglas,
esq. who resides in it.
PAGE 199, line 5. For Lambarde read Lambard.
PAGE 202. Mr. New, the rector, died in 1796.
PAGE 203. The Bower is a new-built seat in this parish,
erected by Mr. Spurling in the stile of an East-Indian villa.
PAGE 205, line 25. For Burgess read Burges, and next
line for Harbroc read Harbroe.
PAGE 209, last line but 7. For Thomas Harvey, esq. read
the Rev. Thomas Harvey, of Redleaf.
PAGE 211. Sharp's Place, with Idehill farm in this parish, and Sevenoke, belonged to Sir Charles F. Radcliffe,
bart. who had a life estate in them, which was in 1796 purchased by his brother John Farnaby, esq. of Wickham, the
next tenant in tail, who now possesses them.
PAGE 222. Bowzell is in Chevening parish.
PAGE 228, line 29. For part read particularly the north,
alias Lyghe park and South park, lying, as their names import, at the different extremities of the present park.
Line 33. Instead of whence read the former of which.
PAGE 229. New House, alias Harts, was formerly the
seat of the family of Combridge, a daughter and coheir of
which married Gilbert Spencer, esq. of Redleafe.
PAGE 247, line 14. For Hawsbrooke read Hawden.
PAGE 252. For Harbroc read Harbroe.
PAGE 257. Mathew Nicholas, rector, died in 1796, and
the Rev. John Hammond, was inducted in his room, and is
the present rector of Penshurst.
PAGE 263. For Harbroc read Harbroe. Mr. Harbroe
resides at Hall-place.
PAGE 270. Mr. Harvey has since sold the advowson of
Lyghe to the Rev. Mr. John Southam, the present patron of
PAGE 275. The Rev. Dr. Lillington died in 1786, and
the Rev. John Southam succeeded him, and is the present
rec tor, as well as patron of this church.
Ibid. In this parish is a seat called Ashurst-place, which
was a few years since the estate of admiral Forbes, and is now
the residence of Peter Lefevre, esq.
PAGE 303. Near this bridge there was an engagement
between the Royalists and Oliverians, in which the latter
In the hamlet of Northfleet Hythe is a modern genteel
house, usually called the Orme, but Ormus is its proper name,
being the residence of Charles Lefevre, esq.
PAGE 314. The present tower of the church was erected
in the room of an old one, which had a spire on it. There
are six bells in it, cast not many years since.
PAGE 324. There are about seventy acres of public garden ground near this town in Gravesend parish and Milton.
PAGE 325. From the immense quantities of chalk which
has been cut away from these pits in different directions, a
scene is exhibited perfectly romantic, and to strangers not a
little dreadful. In the digging numerous fossils are dug and
discovered, principally of the Echinus species, as also the
Glossa Petra, most curiously polished, and sharp as thorns.
The struta of flints, usual among the chalk, are napped into
gun flints, in the midst of which are found compleat cockle
shells filled with chalk, and sometimes of so large a size as to
be esteemed exceedingly curious by the naturalists.
PAGE 347, last line. For rsiedes read resides.
This parish contains about three hundred acres of land.
Shinglewell contains all the houses within this parish, ten
PAGE 351. Francis Gibson Rector succeeded Creswell in
1735, and was succeeded by Landon.
There is no parish register to be found earlier than 1752.
PAGE 351, line 5. For Northfleet read Nutsted.
Line 5, from the bottom. For Nursted read Nutsted.
PAGE 356. This parish is estimated to contain about
5,700 acres of land; it contains one hundred and seventeen
families, consisting of about six hundred and twelve persons,
all of the church of England, and chiefly agricultural labourers and linen weavers, forty-eight houses, land from 5s.
to 30s. per acre.
Harefield is a hamlet in the south-east part of this parish.
PAGE 358, line 3. For codocils read codicils.
PAGE 361, line 9, from the bottom. For an read and.
PAGE 368, line 3. Sall-street is more properly Sole-street,
There is much coppice wood in this parish.
PAGE 371. Mrs. Walter married thirdly John Hilliam,
gent. whom she likewife survived. On her death lately, her
son by her second husband, Mr. John Walter, is now become possessed of this manor.
PAGE 389. The extent of this parish is not much more
than a mile each way. The arable land is about 1100 acres,
saltmarsh sixty-five, and woodland two hundred and forty.
Knight's place farm is no part of it within this parish, and
only Ranscombe-house, and about one hundred acres of land
belonging to it within it. Upper and Lower Bush is one
hamlet, the principal part of which is likewise within it.
Near the church at the foot of the hill is the parsonage, and
three other houses. The church stands nearly north and
PAGE 394. Whorne's-place was pulled down in 1783, and
the present farm-house is part of the old granary and malthouse.
PAGE 398. The church consists of one isle and two
chancels, one the rector's, the other belonging to the Marsham family, it has a square tower steeple, in which hang
PAGE 404. Cobham park contains eight hundred acres.
PAGE 405. For Outlets read Oulets, now usually called
In one part, near the village of Shinglewell, this parish extends to the north of that road, down towards the dilapidated church of Denton.
PAGE 423. Cobhambury lies to the south of Cobham
church, on the road to Luddesdon, which parish it joins.
PAGE 428. For Salton stall read Saltonstall.
PAGE 433. There is no vicarage house or glebe, the
profits of the living arise from a composition, in lieu of tithes.
PAGE 441, line 11. The seals of this college are omitted in the next volume, as not of sufficient consequence to
It was not Richard but Bonham Hayes, who repaired
these water-works, and assigned the land on which they now
stand, to the parish officiating minister and two churchwardens, reserving the interest of the money expended, to be
levied by a small assessment on the houses, amounting in the
whole to about six guineas per annum, they are situated in
Cobham-street, which they supply with water.
PAGE 442, VICARS:
William Comben, 1662.
William Clarke, 1671.
John Priest, 1679 to 1704, after
which the duty was done by
William Pemble, who was vicar
William Painter, 1729.
William Chapman, 1733, obt.
Dearsley, 1763, obt.
William Porter, obt. 1793.
James Jones, 1793, the present
PAGE 443. This parish contains about one thousand
acres of arable, four hundred of wood, three hundred and
fifty of marsh, and about sixty houses. The soil is chalk,
sand and gravel, in different parts. Jarvis Maplesden died
in 1787. Mr. Thomas Hartridge left two daughters, who
are the only children descendants of the Maplesden family
now remaining. On Mrs. Maplesden's death, (widow of
Jarvis) this house became the property of Mr. Thomas Pemble, but it has not been inhabited since her death.
Mr. Ayerst's house was built by his mother. It stands
opposite the church, commanding a most delightful prospect,
It is now occupied by Mr. Comport. There is a good house
late belonging to the Maplesden's, in Shorn Ifield; the last
possessor of that name, Mr. James Maplesden, left two
daughters, Anne married to Mr. Thomas Noakes, and
Charlotte to Mr. Mason, who became jointly entitled to it.
Thomas Noakes died in 1796, his wife before him in 1790,
and his brother Mr. Jarvis Noakes now occupies it.
PAGE 443. At Shorne ridway is a good house, with a
tan-yard, formerly the property of Mr. George Holmes, now
of his daughter Mrs. Bevan. In scouring a well lately belonging to this house, there was drawn up some sea mud,
and a quantity of cockle shells, and in a chalk pit at the bottom of Gad's-hill, on a break of the chalk, the like fort of
mud and shells were discovered.
PAGE 447. Mrs. Gordon's manor-house is pleasantly
situated in Shorn-street, and is now occupied by captain
Luard, of the Georgiana packet, in the East-India Company's service.
King's farm, in the north part of this parish, is the property of Mr. David Day.
PAGE 451. The church consists of three isles and three
chancels; it has a tower steeple at the west end, in which are
PAGE 456. VICARS. Addition to
George Hammond, obt. 1601.
William Franklin, 1630
Richard Balam, ejected 1643.
Charles Bowles, obt. 1671.
Thomas Ayerst, obt. 1688.
Tobias Swinden, resigned to his
Tobias Swinden, exchanged it
Caleb Perfect, &c.
PAGE 482, line 9. For oach read back.
Mockbeggar farm belongs to Francis Barrow, esq.
Last line. For considered read conjectured.
PAGE 483 Gadshill in this parish, on the London road,
is the spot described by Shakspeare, where Henry, prince of
Wales, and his dissolute companions robbed the Kentish carriers and the auditors who were carrying money to his father's exchequer. At a small distance westward, on the knole
of the hill, is a genteel house, built by Mr. alderman Stevens, of Rochester, who occasionally resides in it.
PAGE 484. For Fauresham read Faversham.
The village of Higham is called Church-street, and contains seven houses.
PAGE 489. Little Oakley, late Mr. George Gate's, now
Mr. Taite's, by marriage of one of his sisters; Mr. Dudlow's, of Town-Malling, by marriage of a daughter of Mr.
Edward Gates; and George Gunning's, esq. by purchase of
a fifth part from Miss Catherine Gates.
PAGE 502. In 1796, a battery, mounting four guns,
was erected in the marshes in this parish, towards that part
of the river called the Lower Hope.
PAGE 505. Bury court.—On Samuel Clay Harvey's death
in 1791, his brother Jacob became under settlement, possessed
of it, on whose death it came to his son of the same name,
who now owns it.
PAGE 506. Molland and Dean-fee. Since which it became the property of James Roper Head, esq. Campbell
Elizabeth Lill, widow, and Frances Mary Head, spinster,
who are now entitled to it.
PAGE 507. Priors-hall. This estate is now held by
lease from the dean and chapter, by the chapter clerks, as
trustees, under the will of dean Hardy, and a settlement made
by dame Elizabeth Clarke, his widow, and the profits of it
are applied in payments to the schoolmaster, chanter, and lay
clerks of that church, in augmentation of their salaries; the
surplus to be applied in putting forth the children of the
minor canons, lay clerks and choristers in the first place after
that; to the poor boys of the parishes of St. Nicholas and
St. Margaret's, in Rochester, apprentices, but not more than
5l. to one boy. This trust will cease in about twelve years
after the expiration of the lease.
PAGE 509, Cardons. Mr. John Prebble, of Higham, is
the present lessee.
PAGE 521. Cowling lodge. On the decease of Mr. Thomas Smith, Samuel his youngest son had this estate as part of
his share of the inheritance, since which he has sold it to his
brother, Mr. Thomas Smith, of Stroud, who now owns it.
New Barn. On Samuel Clay Harvey's death, it came
to his brother Jacob, whose son of the same name now enjoys it.
PAGE 526. The Little Hermitage is now his son's, Mr.
David Hermitage Day.
The Quarry-house. To this estate there belongs a dock,
with a rope-yard and other conveniences situated below it on
the bank of the Medway, at which men of war of a large
size have been built with great ease and safety.
PAGE 544. The lessee of the parsonage is Mr. Leez, who
lets it again to Mr. John Boghurst.
PAGE 552. The manor of Hawkins is reserved by the
dean and chapter in their own hands; the demesne lands are
now in lease to the Rev. Dr. Frederick Dodsworth, of Thornton Watness, in Yorkskire, in right of Catherine his wife.
PAGE 556. Mr. Thomas Hulkes, brother of James, deceased, is the present lessee of this scite of Stroud hospital.
PAGE 560. Mr. Beadon resigned the curacy in 1792.