This property lay between 3 on the S., 5 on the N., 8 on the W., and Soper Lane on the E. There are no specific references to it after 1325, and the structure there was probably demolished in the 15th century. From then on the site was part of Soper Lane, although in the 17th century the owners or tenants of 8 (q.v.) may have erected sheds over part of it.
In the late 13th century the shop with solars above which occupied this site belonged to Robert Gratefige, citizen and pepperer, who by 1288 had granted it to John Scarlet, citizen and mercer. Between 1301 and 1307 (possibly in 1304-5) Scarlet granted the shop and solars to Simon de Parys, citizen and mercer, reserving a rent of a clove to himself and his heirs. By his will, dated and enrolled in 1324, Simon left the property to be sold by his executors, who in 1325 sold it to John de Grantham, citizen and pepperer. (fn. 1)
The descent of John de Grantham's properties in Soper Lane is discussed under 145/18. The building on this site was probably demolished at about the same time as those on 7.
|| HR 18(63), 36(14), 53(25, 63). John Scarlet's grant, enrolled in 1307, was witnessed by John le Blound as mayor (1301-7), by Roger de Paris (sheriff 1304-5), and by others whose names do not appear in the enrolled text.