Parishes
Yateley

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1911

Supporting documents

Pages

20-26

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: Yateley', A History of the County of Hampshire: Volume 4 (1911), pp. 20-26. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56738 Date accessed: 22 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

YATELEY

Yateleye (xiii cent.); Yhateleghe (xiv cent.); Yeatley, Yately (xvi cent.).

Yateley is situated in the north-eastern part of Hampshire, 33 miles from London and 2½ miles north-west from Blackwater Station, on the Reading and Reigate branch of the South Eastern Railway. The parish covers an area of 3,222 acres. It is bounded on the north-east by the River Blackwater, on the south and south-east by Minley and Hawley, which, with Cove, were formerly included in the parish.

Yateley Common occupies the southern portion of the parish, and the village lies to the north. The manor-house is at the east end of the village near the church. It was formerly called Hall Place, and as early as 1287 Juliana de Aula was stated to be holding one hide of land containing 106 acres of land and 3 acres of purpresture before the church of Yateley. (fn. 1) At a later date the capital messuage called ' Le Haule Place' was in the possession of the Allen family—Richard Allen holding in 1567 (fn. 1a) and Thomas Allen in 1620. Thomas Wyndham, the purchaser of Minley Manor, was living at Hall Place in 1740, and it is probable that he had acquired it by his marriage with Elizabeth daughter and heiress of John Helyar, who had married as his second wife Christian daughter and heiress of John Ryves. If this is the case, Sir Richard Ryves, who died in 1671 and lies buried in Yateley Church, was probably the owner of this property. (fn. 2) Yateley Hall, formerly called Colcatts, the residence of Miss De Winton-Corry, lies to the south of the village. From the Crondall Customary of 1567 it appears that Andrew Smythe, who had married Elizabeth the daughter of Robert Morflett, was then holding of the lord of the manor a messuage, garden, and orchard called Colcatts, containing 4 acres of land. (fn. 2a) In 1740 Colcatts was occupied by the Diggle family. (fn. 3) Frogmore Park, the seat of Mrs. Fitz Roy, is situated in a small, well-timbered park near Blackwater. Mount Eagle Farm, in the west of the parish, according to tradition, was once the residence of the Lord Monteagle to whom the letter was written by which the Gunpowder Plot was discovered.

Six ponds exist in the parish, one of them, called Wyndham's Pond, near Cricket Hill, probably taking its name from the Wyndham family, lords of Minley Manor in the latter half of the 18th century. The ground is low, rising a little over 300 ft. above the ordnance datum.

Some curious records exist with reference to the old Dog and Partridge Inn in Yateley village. This building was formerly the church-house belonging to the parish. At one time one half was a public-house and the other an almshouse, the latter portion belonging to the overseers. In 1734 it was agreed that the 'Dog and Partridge' was to have all the custom of the church. The two halves were amalgamated in 1748, the overseers claiming part of the rent as being the former owners of the almshouse. (fn. 3a)

In Yateley there are 707 acres of arable land, 874 acres of permanent grass, and 17½ acres of woods and plantations. (fn. 4) The soil is Bagshot Sand. The chief crops are rye, wheat, oats, and barley, with some hay and clover.

Cove, which with a portion of the south part of Hawley was formed into an ecclesiastical parish from Yateley in 1838, covers an area of 1,972 acres and lies to the south-east of Yateley, 1 mile from Farnborough Station, on the main line of the London and South Western Railway. Cove Brook flows from south to north through the centre of the parish.

The manor-house lies to the north, and near it is Broom hill Farm, which is mentioned as early as 126l. (fn. 4a) The ground is low, seldom rising more than 230 ft. above the ordnance datum. The soil is light; the subsoil sand. The chief crops are potatoes and roots. There are 262 acres of arable land, 450 acres of permanent grass, and 3 acres of woods and plantations in Cove. (fn. 4b) Inclosures were made in 1859 by authority of the General Inclosure Act (fn. 5)

Hawley, which was formed into an ecclesiastical district from Yateley in 1838, is on the Surrey border, 2 miles from Farnborough Station, and comprises the village of Blackwater. Hawley Hill Woods and Hawley Common occupy a large portion of the parish, while Darly Green is a large village green lying between Blackwater and Yateley. The Parish Council Room on the green is of brick, erected in 1897 by public subscription to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of her late Majesty Queen Victoria, the site being given by Mr. Laurence Currie. Fern Hill, the property of Mr. John Charles Randell, is a mansion situated on an eminence in a wooded estate of about 120 acres. Brooke House is the residence of Lieut.Colonel Courtenay William Bruce, J.P Hawley House, a large mansion of stone, pleasantly situated in a well-wooded park of about 60 acres, is the residence of Major Charles E. Orman.

Blackwater is a large village on the old Western coaching road, at the point of junction of Hampshire, Surrey, and Berkshire, with a station on the Reading and Reigate branch of the South Eastern Railway. An annual fair of cattle and sheep is held on Blackwater Green in November. Hartfordbridge flats, a vast extent of heath country, on which black game once existed, reaches from Yateley to Blackwater. The Oaks is the residence of Mr. John Charles Randell. Hawley with Minley includes 88 acres of water, and 4,860 acres of land, of which 824 acres are arable, 1,075 permanent grass, and 746½ woods and plantations. (fn. 5a) The soil varies, the subsoil being clay. The chief crops are grain.

Minley, which was formed with part of South Hawley into an ecclesiastical district in 1874, lies south of Yateley parish. Minley Manor, which has been rebuilt, stands about 300 ft. above the ordnance datum, and is the seat of Mr. Laurence Currie, lord of the manor. Minley Grange is the seat of the Rt. Hon. Edmond Robert Wodehouse, P.C., M.A., and Fleet Farm House that of Captain the Hon. Charles White. White House is occupied by Major Ivan Richardson. There is a tradition that Minley Warren was the home of Colonel Blood, who attempted to steal the Crown jewels in the reign of Charles II. The soil of Minley is peaty and the subsoil sand, while the greater part is covered by wood and moorland.

Bramshott Golf Course is at Bramshott Bridge south of the railway, 1 mile from Fleet station,

Hawley Pond, covering about 50 acres, is situated here. Hornley Common separates Minley from Hawley, and is mentioned as one of the boundaries of Minley in a document of 1516. (fn. 6)

In the Crondall Customary of 1567 the following place-names in Yateley are mentioned: Closes called 'Le Pipson,' 'Yeates Feald,' 'Le Fursey Close,' 'Black Hedge,' 'Brixhill,' 'Fylthier More,' 'Crabracke,' and 'Sellecroft'; marshes called 'Swyngles,' 'William's More,' 'Pondethed More,' 'Swalshottes More,' and 'Manredes'; a meadow called 'Frogge Meade,' a grove called ' Leper's Grove,' bridges called 'Grene Mille Bridge,' and ' Titchenbridge,' a pool called 'Strowde Poole' and a fardel of land called 'Sealands.' (fn. 7)

Manors

The manor of CRONDALL has from the earliest period comprised a large portion of the parish of Yateley. Thus in 1299 a commission of oyer and terminer was issued to try the persons who cut down the trees and hedges of the Prior of St. Swithun at Yateley and burned them, (fn. 8) and in the following year the prior and convent obtained a grant of free warren in Yateley. (fn. 9) In 1541 Henry VIII granted all the possessions of the dissolved monastery of St. Swithun in Yateley to the Dean and chapter of Winchester, (fn. 10) and in the Crondall Customary of 1567 the tithings of Yateley and Hawley are described as parcels of the hundred and manor of Crondall. (fn. 11)

A water-mill in Yateley is mentioned in the Crondall Customary of 1567, and in Norden's 'Survey of Windsor Forest.' It existed until about 1887. (fn. 12)

At the time of the Domesday Survey COVE was held with Itchel by German of the bishop, as of his manor of Crondall, the two together consisting of 8 hides. Before this time Cove and Itchel, each with a hall of its own, had been held as separate estates by Ulward and Lewin respectively, but when German received the property it contained one hall only. (fn. 13) Cove followed the same descent as the manor of Itchel (fn. 14) (q.v.) until 1579, when it was sold by George Giffard to Thomas Brabon. (fn. 15)

Robert White of Aldershot, who had purchased Cove from Thomas Brabon in 1580, (fn. 16) died seised of it in 1599, when it passed to his elder daughter Ellen, wife of Richard Tichborne. (fn. 17)

Ellen died in 1612, leaving Cove Manor to her daughter Amphyllis, who subsequently married Lawrence Hyde, and died in 1632, (fn. 18) leaving an infant son Robert, and three daughters, Amphyllis, Anne, and Ellen, who became co-heirs. Amphyllis married Thomas Chaffin, and it is probable that Ellen married John Lowe, of Shaftesbury (co. Dors.), for in 1655 the manor was dealt with by Amphyllis Chaffin, widow, John Lowe and Ellen his wife, and others. (fn. 19) The manor was apparently afterwards settled on Lawrence Lowe, the son of John and Ellen. (fn. 20) In 1689 his widow Lucy joined with Thomas Chaffin, Edward Lowe, and others, in conveying it to Thomas Freke, (fn. 21) who died without issue in 1698, leaving his estates to Thomas Pile and Elizabeth wife of Thomas Freke of Hannington (co. Wilts.) for life, with reversion to George Pitt of Stratfieldsaye, husband of Lucy, Lawrence Lowe's widow. (fn. 22) George Pitt died in 1734, leaving the manor in trust for his son George, then a minor, and in 1739 the trustees held a court baron there. In 1745 George Pitt held a court leet, court baron, and view of frankpledge, as lord of the manor of Cove, and died the same year, leaving the manor to his son George, who is mentioned as holding a court there in 1762. (fn. 23) He was created Lord Rivers of Stratfieldsaye 20 May 1776, in which year he held the court of the manor together with his son, and it was still held by him in 1785. (fn. 24) He evidently, however, parted with the estate almost immediately afterwards, as in the same year it was dealt with by fine between Oliver and James Farrer and Thomas Parry. (fn. 25) By 1814 Cove had come into the possession of Valentine Henry Wilmot of Farnborough, (fn. 26) by whose family it had probably been acquired by purchase. Valentine Henry died in 1819, leaving the manor to his widow Barbarina, with reversion to his only daughter and heir Arabella Jane. Barbarina afterwards married Thomas, Lord Dacre, who is mentioned as lord of the manor in 1823, and in 1845 he and his wife held a court there. (fn. 27) On the death of Lady Dacre the estate passed to her daughter Arabella Jane, whose husband, the Rev. Frederick Sullivan of Kimpton, is mentioned as lord of the manor in 1864. (fn. 28) He died in 1873, leaving the manor to his third but eldest surviving son, Captain Francis William Sullivan, afterwards Admiral Sir F. W. Sullivan, who succeeded his cousin as sixth baronet in 1899. (fn. 29) In 1896 the manor was purchased from Sir Francis by Mr. Henry J. E. Brake, on whose death in 1905 it passed to his son, Mr. Henry William Brake, the present owner. (fn. 30)


Sullivan, Baronet. Vert a hart tripping or impaling party argent and sable a boar passant counterchanged and a chief or with a right hand cut off at the wrist and holding a sword erect with a serpent entwined about the blade between two lions argent facing each other.

The last court of Cove Manor was held by Admiral Sir F. W. Sullivan in 1894. (fn. 31) It appears that some of the waste lands of the manor were peat moors, and tenants of the manor on admission took oath to prevent loss to the lord of the manor by unauthorized persons digging and carrying the same away. In 1768 an action was entered by one Watts, on behalf of himself and other tenants of the manor, against Mr. Bailey, lessee of the manor, to prevent the latter from digging peat. The case was to have been tried at Winchester Assizes, but was withdrawn by Watts owing to the discovery, on formal inquiry, that the defendant had the right to dig peat within the manor. (fn. 32)

At the time of the Domesday Survey MINLEY (Mindeslei, xi cent.; Mindley, xviii cent.), assessed at 2 hides and worth 20s., was in the possession of Alsi the son of Brixi, Ælwi being the name of his predecessor. (fn. 32a) No reliable record, however, of the reputed manor of that name seems to exist earlier than the 18th century, when it was in the possession of the family of Tylney, who had, inherited large estates in Hampshire. (fn. 33) In 1740 the Hon. John Tylney, commonly called Viscount Castlemaine, eldest surviving son and heir-apparent of Richard, Earl Tylney of Castlemaine in Ireland, by Dorothy, heir-at-law of her great-uncle Frederick Tylney of Rotherwick (co. Hants), conveyed the manor or lordship of Minley to Thomas Wyndham of Yateley and his heirs for ever. (fn. 34)

On the death of Thomas Wyndham in 1763 the estates went to his only son Helyar Wadham Wyndham, who died without issue in 1789, Minley Manor then passing to his cousin Anne, the only daughter and heir of John Wyndham of Ashcombe (co. Wilts.), and wife of the Hon. James Everard Arundell. (fn. 35) From Anne the estate passed to her son James Everard, ninth Lord Arundell of Wardour, (fn. 36) who sold it in 1814 to William Robert Burgess of the Strand, London. (fn. 37)


Wyndham. Azure a cheveron between three lions' heads razed or.


Arundili. Sable six hirondellet argent.

Mr. Stooks, late vicar of Yateley, the author of the History of Crondall and Yateley, gives some interesting details concerning the history of the Burgess family. It appears that John Burgess, the father of William Robert, was a respectable tradesman of Odiham, who fell in love with a local heiress, and she, failing to obtain her parents' consent, eloped with him at the age of sixteen. (fn. 38) The issue of the marriage was three sons, who all obtained some distinction, the third son becoming Bishop of Salisbury. The second son, William Robert Burgess, went into business, made a fortune, and bought Minley Manor, as already stated. (fn. 39)

In 1820 William Robert Burgess conveyed the manor of Minley to his brother-inlaw, the Rev. Robert Clarke Caswall of Eglingham (co. Northumb.). (fn. 40) The latter died on 4 September 1846, and his executors, nine years afterwards, sold the estate to the trustees of the settlement made on the marriage of Raikes Carrie, son of Isaac Currie of Bush Hill (co. Midd.), with Miss Laura Sophia Wodehouse, eldest daughter of John, second Lord Wodehouse. (fn. 41) Raikes Currie died in 1881, leaving Minley to his second son, Bertram Wodehouse, father of the present owner, Mr. Laurence Currie, of the famous banking firm of Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co., who inherited the estate in 1896. (fn. 42)


Currie of Minley. Gules a saltire argent with its ends cut off and in the chief arose argent.

The present mansion-house was erected during the years 1858–60 by Raikes Currie, and was altered and enlarged during 1886–7 by Bertram Wodehouse Currie, who bought a good deal of additional land. Further additions were made to the house in 1898 by the present owner, Mr. Laurence Currie. (fn. 43)

Mention of free fishing and free warren in Minley occurs in 1740. (fn. 44)

Churches

The church of ST. PETER, YATELEY, has a chancel 31 ft. 5 in. by 18 ft. 3 in.; nave 55 ft. 10 in. by 18 ft. 3 in.; south vestry and organ chamber; south aisle, 14 ft. wide at its east end and 16 ft. at the west; north porch; west tower of timber, 19 ft. 6 in. long by 23 ft. wide, and south-west vestry. All these measurements are internal. The ashlar work of all dates is for the most part of chalk.

The north doorway and the west window of the nave are the sole remaining details of a church of the second half of the 12th century, but the north and west walls of the nave doubtless contain much of the original masonry. The nave was aisleless and of the same length and breadth as now, and had a chancel shorter and narrower than the existing one, which was built round it in the first half of the 13th century, the original chancel arch being removed and the new work made of equal width with the nave. A tower seems to have been begun at the south-east of the nave about this time, part of its east and south walls yet remaining, but was probably never finished, and in the second half of the 14th century a south aisle was built of the full length of the nave and of the width of the abandoned tower. The aisle is, however, very irregular, being wider at the west than at the east.

In the 15th century a wooden tower was built at the west end of the nave, and the north porch is probably work of the same period. On the north side of the chancel at its east end are a blocked doorway and a small blocked light, with its rear arch outward, marking the addition about the middle of the 14th century of a vestry in the usual position; its foundations have been discovered in the churchyard, but the building is entirely destroyed. A certain amount of modern repair has been carried out, and the two vestries at the east and west ends of the south aisle are recent additions.

In the east wall of the chancel are three partlyrestored 13th-century lancet windows, the head of the middle light being modern. The small blocked window opening from the destroyed vestry in the north wall has chamfered and rebated jambs and a flattened ogee head, and jambs splayed towards the north, and the doorway west of it also has a flattened ogee head and jambs of a single chamfered order; its rear arch can be seen in the outer face of the wall. The two north windows of the chancel are plain 13th-century lancets, as also are the two in the eastern half of the south wall. West of the second is an original pointed doorway, now opening to a modern vestry; on its chalk masonry are a number of crosses and two sundials, one obviously out of place at the bottom of its east jamb on the inside. The arch next to it is modern, opening to the organ, but contains a few old stones which probably belonged to the lancet window which it displaced.

The nave has three north windows. The first, of late 14th-century date, is of two cinquefoiled ogee-headed lights with trefoils over, under a flat head; the lintel is formed by the wall-plate inside. The second has two cinquefoiled pointed lights with tracery in a three-centred head, and dates from c. 1500; and the third, west of the north door, has two lancet lights, and is probably of late 13th-century date. Part of it is in modern stonework.

The north doorway dates from the 12th century; the jambs are of two square orders without shafts, but the outer order has been mutilated in arch and jambs for the fitting of a door; the arch is round, its inner order plain, and its outer order, or what is left of it, enriched with billet and nail-head ornament.

The south arcade of the nave has four bays with octagonal pillars and semi-octagonal responds; the base moulds are two rounds, and the capitals are simply moulded and much scraped, while the arches are two-centred and of two chamfered orders.

At the west end of the nave an arch of two hollow chamfered orders of 15th-century date, with moulded capitals, opens to the tower; its crown cuts into the lower part of an original narrow round-headed 12th-century window.

The south-east vestry is in 13th-century style to match the chancel, and has a modern arch in its west wall filled by the organ; this wall is 3 ft. 3 in. thick, and, as suggested, is probably part of a 13th-century tower.


Plan of Yateley Church

In the south aisle the south wall to the east of the first window is also 3 ft. 3 in. thick, more by 9 in. than the rest of the wall. It contains a small 13th-century piscina with a plain pointed head of square section and a sill with a moulded edge. The southeast window of the aisle is of three cinquefoiled ogeeheaded lights with trefoils above, under a square head; the wall-plate of the roof forms its inner lintel. The mullions are modern, the rest late 14th-century work, of the same character as the north-east window of the nave. The next window is a 15th-century insertion with moulded jambs and mullions; it has two cinquefoiled lights and a square head with sunk spandrels, and a moulded label outside. The north doorway is probably of the date of the arcade, and has a small chamfered order and a two-centred arch. The lower halves of the jambs with the broach stops are of modern repair. The westernmost window is of two lights and like the north-east window of the nave. In the west wall is a modern doorway to the vestry; the wall above sets back 6 in. inside and is pierced by a window of two lancets in a pointed stone head, which looks like late 13th-century work reset. The vestry has windows to the south and west and has a west doorway to the churchyard.

The wood-framed west tower dates from the 15th century, its lowest stage being of the width of the nave, with upright timbers filled in with modern red brick in herring-bone pattern. The main structure is of smaller diameter, with heavy angle posts braced and framed together, all being of oak.

There is an old window of two round-headed lights on the north side of the ground stage, and a modern west doorway and four-light window over; an open circular staircase of wood rises in the north-west corner ending at the first floor, where the wide ground stage of the tower stops under a tiled roof, the main structure continuing as an oak-shingled turret, with rows of rectangular lights in the bell-chamber; it is covered with a tiled pyramidal roof, finishing with a vane and weathercock.

All the walls externally are coated with plaster. The roof of the chancel is a modern gabled one of deal; that of the nave is old, with trussed collars and plain tie-beams, and the aisle roof is like that of the nave.

The chancel screen is all modern except for the tracery in the heads of the bays on either side of the middle opening; this is good early 15th-century work with eight trefoiled lights arranged in pairs, and quatrefoiled openings on each pair, with pierced and cusped spandrels. The font under the tower has an octagonal bowl, chamfered below, which is perhaps of 14th-century date, on a modern stem.

The porch dates from the 15 th century and is of wood; its side-walls are plastered externally and pierced by small windows. It was formerly plastered internally, and the 12th-century doorway was hidden until opened out in 1901. The barge-board of the gable is cut into five large foils; below it is a small ancient figure of St. John the Evangelist, apparently of Flemish or north French work, holding a book in his left hand; his right hand is upheld in blessing.

The church is lighted entirely by candles, and has in the nave four pretty brass chandeliers of the ordinary Dutch pattern, bought in London. The alrar candlesticks are also of brass of 17th-century Italian work, and the altar cross is an interesting piece of mediaeval work with embossed figures, probably also Italian. These were given in late years, but the church also has some old candlesticks which have been long in its possession.

In the chancel floor are a number of 5 in. mediaeval tiles, several with curious and unusual patterns —as a king kneeling before a small seated figure, a hound chasing a stag, a horseman, and a standing figure with outstretched arms and a circle on his breast; behind appears to be a rainbow.

At a recent restoration the remains of a wallpainting were discovered on the north wall; it represented a king wearing his crown and holding a sceptre with a dove in his right hand. It was covered up again.

Under the tower are four slabs with brasses. The earliest is inscribed: ' Pray for the soules of william lawerd and agnes his wyf the which william decessed the xvi day of august the yere of our lord god mlvcxvii on whose soules Jesu have mercy Amen.' Above it is a man with long hair, in a fur robe, his hands in prayer, and a lady with a long head-dress, her dress having a tight bodice and fur cuffs, and held by a long belt clasped by a rosette. Below them are nine sons and a daughter. Another is inscribed: 'Pray for the soules of Willm Rygg and Tomysyn hys wyf the whiche Willm decessed the xxix day of august ye yer of o' Lord mvcxxxii on whose soule Jhu have mercy.' It also has the figures of a man and woman in similar dresses to the others, and with four sons and seven daughters below. The third has the inscription: 'Hic sepulta jacet Elizabetha quonda Roberti Morfletti, Armigeri filia que D'no migravit 10 cal Septimbris anno salutis humane mccccclxxviiivo.' Of the figure over only the upper half remains. It shows a lady with a curious tight long head-dress, ruff collar, and padded sleeves. Over her are two shields. The first is impaled, but the sinister half is defaced, the dexter is Ermine three bezants, which are the arms of Smythe of Yateley, and below it is the inscription: 'Edwardo Ormesby primo . . . peperit 4 et filias . . .' The other has its charges defaced and has the inscription: ' Andreae Smythe secundo M. peperit filios 3 et filias 3.' The fourth brass is of a bearded man in long fur gown and ruff collar, with his hands held in prayer. The inscription is gone. A fifth brass, mentioned in the Gentleman's Magazine for November 1794, is missing; it was of a man habited in a robe, and inscribed: 'Pray for the soule of Richard Gale which dyed the yer of o'r lord mvcxiii on whose soule Jhu have mercy.' In the chancel floor is a small brass plate inscribed: ' Orate p[ro] a[nim]a Johe uxoris Joh[ann]is Hewlot et filie Robti Dyngeet cui' a[nim]ae p[ro]piciet' ds.'

In the south aisle—whither it was removed from the chancel—is a mural monument to Sir Richard Ryves, kt., sheriff and alderman of London, died 1671. It has a large pillar of black and white marble surmounted by an urn, all in a round-headed niche, but the inscription is now lost. There areother 18th-century and later monuments in the church. In the churchyard is an old coffin-slab, probably of the 14th century, with a long floriated cross in relief cut upon it.

The tower contains a clock and eight bells: the treble and second are by Taylor, 1888; the third by Warner, 1878; the fourth is inscribed, 'William Yare made me 1613; the fifth has the usual lion's face, square flower, and groat of Roger Landon's Reading foundry, and is inscribed, 'Sancta Katerina ora pro nobis'; the sixth is cracked across the shoulder, and has the following inscription in rudely-formed Roman letters: 'love the lord the god and of ehs (sic) 1577,' and below it the initials t.e. for Thomas Eldridge (above a star) and f.r.; the seventh has for inscription 'Our hope is in the Lord ' in black letter and old English capitals, each word being followed by a heart, and the initials of Richard Eldridge and the date 1617; the tenor is by Warner, 1864. There is also a small sanctus-bell with the initials of Robert Eldridge and date 1623.

The plate consists of a cup of 1568, a paten of 1710, a modern silver-gilt jewelled chalice and paten, of foreign work, given in 1886 in memory of Martin de Corry, a silver-mounted glass flagon, a bread box, and a pewter flagon. There is also a most beautiful standing covered cup of crystal and silver-gilt, English work of the end of the 16th century; its original wood and leather case is preserved in part. It is said to have been given in 1675 by Mrs. Sarah Cocks. It has been broken and the cover is not in its original condition, some very remarkable crystal spirelets, seeming to have formed part of it, being now separately preserved.

The registers begin in 1636. The first book is a copy on paper of baptisms, marriages, and burials from 1636 to 1709, and thence to 1729 they were copied in part from the old registers, and the rest collected from memoirs of families in the parish, the registers for that time being deficient. The original books seem to have been lost.

The second book is one recording burials in woollen from 1685 to 1784, and contains many affidavits and magistrates' seals. The third has marriages from 1754 to 1804, and the fourth continues them to 1812; the fifth has printed forms giving the baptisms and burials from 1785 to 1813. There are churchwardens' accounts from 1658 to 1698, and from 1698 to 1825; and these have been transcribed in a third volume which ends in 1884.

An overseers' book dates from 1751 to 1779. The church is also now in the possession of a copy of the Biblia Polyglotta of 1657, edited by Brian Walton; the text is printed in nine different languages—Hebrew, Greek, Latin Vulgate, Samaritan, Chaldaic, Ethiopian, Syrian, Arabic, and Persian, and contained in six volumes.

The churchyard is fairly large, and surrounds the building, but the greater part is to the south. It contains many trees, some of them of great height. In it is a modern churchyard cross erected to a son of the vicar, who went down in the battleship Victoria. The lych-gate is of unusual design, its gate opening on a pivoted middle post with a chain and counter-weight to hold it in position. On the woodwork are cut three dates, 1625, 1800, and 1884; little, if anything, of the first date is left.

The church of ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, COVE, is a moderately sized building of cruciform shape, consisting of a chancel, nave, transepts, north porch, and a low embattled tower. It was built in 1844, is constructed of stone, and is designed mainly in 12th-century style.

The church of HOLY TRINITY, HAWLEY, is a new building of red brick and stone, with a vaulted chancel, a nave with aisles and chapels, a west tower with a shingled spire, and a baptistery at the northwest. It is very well furnished, and has a mosaic reredos, and a font with an oak cover, on which is a group carved in the round of Our Lord baptizing children.

The church of ST. ANDREW, MINLEY, is a small structure consisting of a chancel and nave in one range. It is quite modern, and is built of flint with stone detail and dressings. The fittings, also modern, are unusually handsome.

Advowsons

A chapel existed in Yateley (fn. 45) probably from an early date, and was served from Crondall parish.

The great tithes of Yateley were alienated with those of Crondall (q.v.) by Cardinal Beaufort in order to found his almshouse of Noble Poverty, in connexion with St. Cross Hospital. They were let by that hospital during several centuries to the Marquis of Winchester, who still held them at the beginning of the 19th century, and who farmed them out to the overseers of the parish. In 1818 the overseers paid £240 a year for the tithes. In 1823 they offered £160, which was refused, and from that time the marquises collected their own tithes. The commutation value of the tithes is £572; they have now fallen in to St. Cross. (fn. 46)

Under the terms of the lease to the Marquises of Winchester, it was covenanted that they should provide an honest and substantial minister for the parish of Yateley. (fn. 47) In 1875 the lay rector, with the concurrence of St. Cross Hospital, transferred the patronage of the living, which was then worth £70 a year, to the Bishop of Winchester, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners thereupon increased the stipend to £226. (fn. 48) The present net yearly value of the living, which is still in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, is £294 with residence.

The living of Cove is a vicarage, of the net yearly value of .£300, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester.

The living of Hawley is a vicarage, of the net yearly value of £339, in the gift of Mr. John Charles Randell, of The Oaks, Blackwater.

The living of Minley is a perpetual curacy of the net yearly value of £85, in the gift of the Bishop of Winchester, and was held until recently by the vicars of Yateley. It is now held by the vicar of Hawley, who resides at Blackwater.

There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel at Cove, erected in 1888. There is also a Baptist chapel at Cricket Hill, Yateley.

All Saints' Home for Girls was erected in 1881 by the late Mr. Charles Randell, and will hold forty children. The work is in charge of the sisters of St. John the Baptist, Clewer; there is a small chapel attached.

Charities

The Yateley, Cove, and Hawley Charities. —By a scheme of the Charity Commissioners of 5 February 1886, the charities comprised therein were consolidated under this title. The trust funds are held by the official trustees, comprising the charities of:—

Richard Bannister (so far as the same is applicable in the ancient parish), founded by deed of feoffment, 1417. The trust estate consists of 29 a. 2 r. let at £12 10s. and £1,370 8s. 2d. consols, one moiety of which is applicable in the parish of Sandhurst. This charity is administered under a further scheme of 5 February 1886;

Sir Richard Ryves, founded by will proved in the P.C.C. 20 August 1671; trust fund, £287 6s. 4d. consols, arising from the sale of 6 acres of copyhold land formerly belonging to the charity;

Peter South, founded by deed 1593; trust fund, £1,025 9s. 5d. consols;

Esther Poole, founded by will, proved in the P.C.C. 15 May 1835; trust fund, £11 0s. 7d. consols;

Mary Simmonds, founded by will, proved in the P.C.C. 5 December 1842; trust fund, £593 8s. 10d. consols.

By the scheme the dividends on £1,917 17s. 2d. consols belonging to the four charities last mentioned, amounting to £47 18s. 4d., are applicable for the general benefit of the poor by way of subscriptions to hospitals, provident clubs, &c., contributions to outfits for young persons entering trade, &c., supply of articles in kind, or temporary relief in money.

Mary Barker, founded by will, 1704; trust fund, £531 10s. 8d. consols, representing one-third of the proceeds of the sale in 1876 of land formerly belonging to the charity.

The dividends, amounting to £13 5s. 8d., are applicable in prizes and payments to encourage continuance at school.

The Church and Parish Estates, formerly consisting of the Dog and Partridge Inn, which was sold in 1898, and the proceeds (less expenses) invested in £2,631 10s. 6d. consols, producing yearly £65 15s. 4d., of which £24 is applicable in aid of the Poor's Rate of the parish, and the balance in the maintenance of the fabric of the church and of the services.

The 'Pest House,' formerly consisting of a house and land, which was sold in 1902 and the proceeds invested in £200 14s. 1d. India 3 per cent. stock, the dividends of which are also applicable in aid of the Poor's Rate.

Cove Church Endowment, consisting of 17 acres, occupied in part by the vicar of Cove, and the remainder let at £15 a year, and a sum of £9 18s. 6d. consols.

Cove Church Repair Fund; trust fund, £69 14s. 9d. consols, producing £1 14s. 8d. a year, applicable for the repair of the church of St. John, Cove. The two sums of stock arose from subscriptions in 1844, part of which was expended in the purchase of the land referred to in the previous paragraph.

Mrs. Ellen Katherine Meyrick, by will proved 4 January 1899, bequeathed £200 to the vicar and churchwardens, to be invested and the income distributed among the aged poor. The legacy, less duty, was invested in £180 15s. 10d. consols, with the official trustees.

Tithing of Cove.—The Coal Fund Charity consists of £1,112 5s. consols, transferred in 1898 to the official trustees, representing the investments of the proceeds of the sale of the fuel allotment, acquired under an award of 12 January 1860.

Tithing of Hawley.—The Parish Fund consists of a sum of £300 consols, supposed to represent payments in respect of encroachments. The stock was transferred to the official trustees in 1898.

Chapelry of Fern Hill.—Charles Randell, by will proved in 1881, bequeathed £5,000 for the minister of All Saints' Chapel. The legacy was lost by the bankruptcy of the solicitors for the testator's estate. The charity was reinstated by the testator's widow, by deed, 1887. The trust fund consists of 88,000 lire (representing 4,400 lire of Rentes) of the Public Debt of the Kingdom of Italy, producing about £140 a year.

Footnotes

1 Chas. D. Stooks, Hist, of Crondall and Yateley, 91.
1 a Crondall Rec. (Hants Rec. Soc), 258.
2 Chas. D. Stooks, Hist, of Crondall and Yatelty, 90–2.
2 a Crondall Rec. (Hants Rec. Soc), 265.
3 Chas. D. Stooks, Hist, of Crondall and Yateley, 92.
3 a Ibid. 64.
4 Statistics from Bd. of Agric. (1905).
4 a In that year Henry III granted to Imbert de Muntferaunt all the land of Broomhill and Cove which had fallen to him by the death of Aymer, Bishop-elect of Winchester (Cal. Chart. R. ii, 35). This land was held of William de Coleville lord of Itchel, and had been bought by Aymer from John Lisle (Inq. p.m. 45 Hen. III, no. 45).
4 b Ibid.
5 Blue Bk. Inclosure Awards, 150.
5 a Statistics from Bd. of Agric. (1905).
6 Crondall Rec. (Hants Rec. Soc), 474.
7 Ibid. 258–330.
8 Pat. 27 Edw. I, m. 8 d.
9 Cal. Chart. R. iii, 1.
10 L. and P. Hen. VIII, xvi, g. 878 (1).
11 Crondall Rec. (Hants Rec. Soc.), 258, 311.
12 Ibid. See Early Chan. Proc. bdle. 145, no. 59, and Harl. MS. 3749.
13 V.C.H. Hants, i, 465.
14 Crondall Rec. (Hants Rec. Soc), Introd. p. xxv; Feud. Aids, ii, 314, 333, 359; Inq. p.m. 7 Edw. I, no. 22; ibid. 18 Edw. IV, no. 44; Exch. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), file 378, no. 4.
15 Close, 21 Eliz. pt. xiii; Add. MS. 33278, fol. 132; Recov. R. Trin. 21 Eliz. rot. 1100.
16 Close, 22 Eliz. pt. iii; Feet of F. Hants, East. 22 Eliz.; Add. MS. 33278, fol. 132.
17 Chan. Inq. p.m. (Ser. 2), cclviii, 31.
18 Ibid. 14 Chas. I, pt. i, no. 199.
19 Com. Pleas D. Enr. Mich. 6 Chas. II, m. 3. See also V.C.H. Hants, iii, 414.
20 Ibid.
21 Feet of F. Div. Co. Trin. 1 Will, and Mary.
22 V.C.H. Hants, iii, 414.
23 Deeds penes Mr. Henry W. Brake.
24 Ibid. See also G.E.C. Complete Peerage, vi, 374–5.
25 Feet of F. Hants, Trin. 25 Geo. III.
26 Deeds penes Mr. Henry W. Brake.
27 Ibid.
28 Ibid.
29 Burke, Peerage.
30 Deeds penes Mr. H. W. Brake.
31 Ibid.
32 Ibid. See also Feet of F. Hants, Trin. 25 Geo. III.
32 a V.C.H. Hants, i, 505a.
33 G.E.C. Peerage, ii, 184.
34 Deeds penes Mr.Laurence Currie,M.A.; Feet of F. Hants, Trin. 13 & 14 Geo. II; Recov. R. Trin. 13 & 14 Geo. II, rot. 234.
35 G.E.C. Peerage, i, 158. Deeds penes Mr. Laurence Currie, M.A.
36 It had been settled upon Thomas Grove and others in trust for him in 1793 (Feet of F. Hants, Hil. 33 Geo. III).
37 Deeds penes Mr.Laurence Currie, M.A.
38 Ex inform. Miss Jane Caswall of Yateley; C. D. Stooks, Hist, of Crondall and Yateley, 45.
39 Ibid.
40 Deeds penes Mr. Laurence Currie, M.A.
41 Ibid. See also Burke, Landed Gentry.
42 Deeds penes Mr. Laurence Currie, M.A.
43 Ex inform. Mr. Laurence Currie, M.A.
44 Feet of F. Hants, Trin. 13 & 14 Geo. II.
45 Egerton MS. 2033, fol. 70.
46 Chas. D. Stooks, Hist, of Crondall and Yateley, 52.
47 Ibid. 52–3.
48 Ibid. 71; Index, Lond. Gaz. (1830–83), 1965.