THE HUNDRED OF THE NEW FOREST
containing the parishes of; Boldre; Bramshaw; Brockenhurst; Linwood; Lyndhurst; Minstead (fn. 1)
At the time of the Domesday Survey the Hampshire portion of
Bramshaw, Brockenhurst and Minstead was entered under the hundred of
'Rodedic.' Lyndhurst and Boldre were included in the hundred of Boldre,
while no mention is found of Linwood, which was probably then included
in Godshill, which, if
the identification be
correct, appears under
Rodedic Hundred. (fn. 2)
Some time before 1316
the hundred of the
New Forest wasformed
from parts of Rodedic
and Boldre Hundreds,
and it then included
the vills of Ippley,
Godshill, Nova Villa,
Minstead, Bartley, Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst and Brookley. (fn. 3) The hundred
remained practically unchanged until 1662, (fn. 4) but between that date and
1831 the portion of the parish of Fawley hitherto included in the hundred
of the New Forest was transferred to that of Bishop's Waltham. (fn. 5) Since
1831 Minstead and Lyndhurst have been removed to Thorngate Hundred.
Index Map to the Hundred of New Forest.
The extra-parochial district of Linwood, except for its insertion under
this hundred in 1831, belongs properly to Fordingbridge Hundred, and is
now a detached portion of Ellingham (q.v.).
The hundred, as far as is known, has always remained in the hands of
the Crown. The courts, presided over, until the early part of the 19th
century, when the office was abolished, by the Under Steward of the Forest,
were held at Lyndhurst.