Editorial note

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

L. F. Salzman (editor)

Year published

1940

Page

15

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Editorial note', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 7: The rape of Lewes (1940), pp. XV. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=56906 Date accessed: 25 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

EDITORIAL NOTE

For help with this volume particular thanks are due to Mr. F. Bentham Stevens, F.S.A., whose knowledge of later manorial history and of the complicated readjustment of local boundaries has been invaluable; and also to Mr. Walter H. Godfrey, F.S.A., for his general supervision of the architectural descriptions and for the loan of illustrations. Thanks are also due to the Council of the Sussex Archaeological Society for the loan of blocks and for permission to reproduce drawings of Sussex churches from the Sharpe Collection; to the authorities of the British Museum for permission to reproduce drawings in the Burrell Collections; to Mr. F. Williams and Mr. Edmund Yates, F.S.A., for supplying photographs; and to the late Dr. Walter Harrison for the loan of two plates of early views of Brighton. Many firms of solicitors have given much valuable assistance, which is acknowledged in the footnotes, but special mention should be made of Messrs. William and James of London, Messrs. Fitzhugh, Woolley and Baines of Brighton, Messrs. Thomas Eggar and Son of Chichester, and Messrs. Blaker, Son and Young of Lewes. We are also indebted to the Clerk of the East Sussex County Council and the Town Clerk of Lewes for facilities to consult their records. Many clergy and other persons have also given much appreciated assistance, and the owners of ancient houses have almost invariably given the members of our architectural staff facilities for inspecting their properties.

The harassing problems of financing the production of this and future volumes have been somewhat eased by generous grants from the West Sussex County Council, the City of Chichester, the Boroughs of Brighton and Hove, and the Urban District Council of Seaford, and by individual gifts from Mr. I. D. Margary, F.S.A., Mr. W. H. Abbey, Mr. F. J. Nettlefold, and a few others.