Ullenhall, which lies west of Henley-in-Arden, was
made a separate ecclesiastical parish on 27 June 1861,
including Aspley, Forde Hall, and Mockley, all of
which were formerly separate manors. Aspley, with an
area of 640 acres, was in 1895 transferred from the
civil parish of Wootton to Tanworth, but it remained
in the ecclesiastical parish of Ullenhall. The village
is known as Ullenhall Street, and is surrounded by
well-wooded country. The Village Hall was built in
Some six or seven small houses scattered about the
parish show remains of 17th-century timber-framing:
one is thatched.
Hall End, a farm-house 3/8 mile south-east of the old
church, is an L-shaped building completely of 17thcentury framing with a tiled roof. The central
chimney-stack has four diagonal shafts of thin bricks,
set saltirewise. Half a mile north of this is Botley Hill,
a late-16th-century house with a projecting upper
story and porch-wing on the north front. Much of the
original close-set studding remains in the front in both
stories and in the gabled east end, but the interior is
almost completely modernized. East of the house are
considerable remains of a rectangular moat with water.
The soil is clay, gravel, and marl and the subsoil
keuper marl. Wheat, beans, and oats are grown, but
before 1940 the land was mostly in pasture. The area
of the ecclesiastical parish is 2,933 acres.
Barrells Hall (fn. 1) stands in a beautifully wooded park.
The estate was bought by Robert Knight, Lord
Luxborough (afterwards Earl of Catherlough), from
his second cousin Raleigh Knight in 1730. From 1739
to 1756 Lady Luxborough (fn. 2) lived here, apart from her
husband, and made the house the centre of a literary
circle, including the poets Shenstone, (fn. 3) Somerville,
Jago of Beaudesert, and Richard Graves. The south
front of the house, with a lofty portico, was probably
built by the earl about 1770. Later additions and
alterations were made by the Newtons. It is now the
property of Mr. J. W. Marsh, but was seriously
damaged by fire in 1933.
ULLENHALL which belonged to
Waga, or Wagen, in Edward the Confessor's days was granted to Robert de
Stafford with Wootton at the Conquest, when it was
assessed as I hide and valued at £3. (fn. 4) From Robert or
his son Nicholas it came into the hands of Roger,
Earl of Warwick, who enfeoffed one Roger who took
the name of Ulehale. (fn. 5) This Roger was followed by one
William whose son Robert in 1242 held ¼ knight's fee
of the Earl of Warwick. (fn. 6) Robert was probably succeeded by William, who died about 1284, (fn. 7) and he by
Robert de Ollenhal. (fn. 8) The fee then appears to have
gone to the family of de Montfort of Beaudesert,
being held as a hamlet of Whitley in 1316 (fn. 9) and as part
of ¼ fee in Honiley and elsewhere in 1326 (fn. 10) by Peter
son of John de Montfort. It then descended in
that family and on the attainder of Sir Simon
Montfort of Coleshill was granted by the king to
Gerald, Earl of Kildare, in 1496. (fn. 11) His son Sir James
FitzGerald being attainted, the manor reverted to the
Crown. Queen Mary in 1553 granted the manor to
Michael Throgmorton of Coughton, (fn. 12) who died seised
of it in 1558, leaving his son Francis, then aged 7, his
heir. (fn. 13) From him it descended to his son John, who
obtained livery of the manor in 1636. (fn. 14) It had, however, already been conveyed in 1630 by his father,
probably on a mortgage, to William Bolton of St.
Leonard's, Shoreditch, (fn. 15) who was in possession of
the manor at the time of his death in 1648. In his will,
proved on 21 Dec. of that year, he states that he had
already settled the manor of Ullenhall on his son
William at his marriage. (fn. 16) This son died in 1651 and
is described as a mercer and freeman of London in his
will. He left half of 'his goods and personal estate' to
his three daughters Elizabeth, Dorothy, and Mary
equally. (fn. 17) Elizabeth, daughter of William Bolton of
Ullenhall, married on 13 July 1661 Edward Bullock
of Falkbourne Hall, Co. Essex, (fn. 18) and they were dealing
with ⅓ of the manor in 1665. (fn. 19) In 1696 Edward Bullock
and Mary his wife and John Bullock transferred 'the
manor' to Wm. Parker and John Hopkins. (fn. 20) A lease
of the manor was in 1712 granted by John Parker of
Henley-in-Arden and four daughters of Wm. Parker
to Wm. Somerville of Edstone and Henry Neal of
Allesley. (fn. 21) It then came into the possession of the
Smiths of Wootton Wawen and in 1724 Charles Smith,
then of Ludlow, was lord. (fn. 22) It descended with the
manor of Wootton Wawen (q.v.) and Sir Edward
Joseph Smythe of Wootton was holding it in 1832. (fn. 23)
It then went to Robert Knight of Barrells, who in
1837 is stated to be lord of it. (fn. 24) After his death it was
sold in 1856 to William Newton of Whately Hall,
Castle Bromwich, who is named as lord in 1859. (fn. 25) He
died at Barrells on 24 Nov. 1862 and was succeeded
by his son Thomas Henry Goodwin Newton. At his
death in 1907 his son Hugh Goodwin Newton inherited it, but when he died in 1924 the manor with
the advowson of Ullenhall was sold to the Martyrs'
Memorial Trust, now known as the Church of England
Trust. (fn. 26)
It seems probable that the share of the manor held
by one of the other daughters of William Bolton
descended to William Richard Wilson and Jane Anne
Eleanor his wife, as in 1779 they sold a moiety of the
manor of Ullenhall to Thomas Fisher. (fn. 27) In a survey
of 1810 Miss Fisher held a house and 210 acres of
land here, and in 1814 Anne Fisher was dealing with
'the manor'. (fn. 28) It was probably acquired, with the
other portion, by Robert Knight.
ASPLEY is first mentioned in 1221, when Robert
de Chaucumb apparently held it by grant from Henry
d'Oilly, (fn. 29) and in 1261 Juliana de Chaucumb held the
manor as of the honor of Doyley which the king had
given to the Earl of Warwick (who had married
Henry's daughter and coheiress). (fn. 30) Juliana was probably (? second) wife of Robert and possibly previously
wife of Reynold de Aspele. (fn. 31) In 1231 Robert de Chaucumb had settled half the manor on his elder daughter
Mabel and her husband Gilbert de Segrave and
the other half on his daughter Milicent and Ralph
Basset. (fn. 32) Milicent apparently died before 1246
without issue (fn. 33) and the whole came to Mabel; she
married secondly Roger de Somery, who was holding
the manor in 1265, (fn. 34) and after his death she granted
it to her son John de Somery, to hold of her and her son
and heir Nicholas de Segrave, by rent of a pair of gilt
spurs or 6d. in money. (fn. 35) This John in 1284 claimed a
court leet here with assize of bread and ale, which was
allowed. (fn. 36) The manor, however, returned to the
Segraves and was entailed by Sir John de Segrave in
1344 upon his issue by Margaret his wife or his right
heirs. (fn. 37) Margaret still had it in dower in 1372 after the
death of Walter, Lord Mauny, her second husband. (fn. 38)
On her death in 1399 it passed to her daughter's
grandson Thomas de Mowbray, Earl of Nottingham, (fn. 39)
who was beheaded in 1405, and his brother John de
Mowbray, later Duke of Norfolk, is found to be the
holder of it in 1414. (fn. 40)
In 1534 Thomas, Lord Berkeley, a descendant of
the Mowbrays, died seised of it, leaving a son Henry
his heir. (fn. 41) Henry, Lord Berkeley, and Katherine his
wife were dealing with the manor in 1568. (fn. 42) In 1620
the six daughters of John Fullwood of Forde Hall (q.v.)
inherited ⅓ of the manor from their father, (fn. 43) and in
1632 Grace, one of these daughters, came into the whole
of it. (fn. 44) Grace married Angel Grey and these two were
holding it in 1668. (fn. 45) Their only daughter Lora Grey
sold it on 5 Dec. 1698 to John Saunders of Honiley. (fn. 46)
It afterwards came to the Knights of Barrells and in
1820 Robert Knight was in possession of it. (fn. 47) Sir
Edward Joseph Smythe is named as lord in 1832, (fn. 48)
but in 1834 Robert Knight was holding it. (fn. 49) It then
passed with the manor of Ullenhall (q.v.) and is now
held by the Church of England Trust.
Land in Aspley was granted in about 1275 by Sir
John de Somery, lord of the manor of Aspley, to Roger
de la Forde and Agatha his wife and their heirs (fn. 50) and
later became known as FORDE HALL. In 1381–2
it passed as a manor from Nicholas Prylle of Ludlow
to Henry de Bonnebury, (fn. 51) and in 1389 Robert
Fouleshurst was lord of it. (fn. 52) At
about the time of Henry VIII it
came to John Fullwood son of
Richard Fullwood of Clay Hall in
Tanworth in marriage with Jane
the daughter of Baldwin Heath
of Forde Hall. (fn. 53) John Fullwood
was succeeded by his son John, (fn. 54)
and he by his son of the same
name c. 1593. (fn. 55) The third John
Fullwood married Katherine
daughter and heir of Thomas
Dabridgcourt, (fn. 56) and left issue six
daughters, one of whom, Alice, and her husband Sir
George Fullwood acquired the whole manor in 1619. (fn. 57)
Alice in 1639, when she was a widow, transferred it to
Humphrey Fullwood, (fn. 58) and in 1653 Edward Meynell
and his wife Anne, daughter of Humphrey Fullwood,
together with Anne Fullwood, widow, were dealing
with it. (fn. 59) A moiety of the manor was transferred from
Charles Fielding to Robert Hardisty in 1700. (fn. 60)
Robert Knight of Barrells was lord of the manor in
1837. (fn. 61)
Fullwood. Gules a cheveron between three mulets argent.
In about 1275 Robert de Stafford gave lands in
Botley to the priory of Kenilworth, and by another
charter gave other lands there to Geoffrey Malory. (fn. 62)
In this family the estate remained for several generations, John Malory being granted free warren for his
demesnes there in 1335, (fn. 63) until in 1443 John and
Anketil Malory sold the manor of BOTLEY to
Richard Archer. (fn. 64) John Archer held the manor of the
Duke of Buckingham at his death in 1519, (fn. 65) and
Andrew Archer settled it on his son Simon on his
marriage with Anne daughter of Sir John Ferrers in
1614. (fn. 66) It descended to the last Lord Archer, whose
coheirs held it in 1792; one of them, Edward Bolton
Clive, held it between 1815 and 1823, and Bolton
King from 1826 to 1835, but by 1839 it had been acquired by Robert Knight of Barrells. (fn. 67)
The manor of MOCKLEY, which belonged to the
priory of Wootton Wawen, was with other lands
granted by Henry V on 20 April 1418 to Rowland
Lenthall and Margaret his wife. (fn. 68) It returned to the
Crown in 1442, (fn. 69) and Henry VI granted it on 12 Dec.
1443 to the Provost and Scholars of King's College,
Cambridge, (fn. 70) with whom it has ever since remained.
Robert Knight of Barrells had a lease of the manor
from 1811 to 1831.
The reputed manor of BARRELLS is first mentioned in 1681, when it was among the possessions of
John Knight. (fn. 71) In 1730 Robert Knight purchased
'the manor and estate' from Raleigh Knight. (fn. 72) In 1769
Robert Knight, then Earl of Catherlough, was still
holding it, (fn. 73) and it passed at his death in 1772 to his
natural son Robert Knight, (fn. 74) after which it descended
with the manor of Ullenhall (q.v.)
A small estate here belonging to the Abbey of Bordesley was described in 1535 as 'the manor of Ulnall
Henley with Denseyes Yende', valued at £3 13s. 5½d.
including 'perquisites of the court there'. (fn. 75) After the
Dissolution it was granted as 'the grange of Ownall' to
Clement Throckmorton, (fn. 76) and any manorial rights
were presumably lost.
The old church of ST. MARY
consists of a chancel only, fitted up as
a chapel, about 27 ft. by 17 ft., and is
of late-13th-century date. The nave was pulled down
The chapel has an east, a north, and two south
windows. The east window is of the late 13th century,
of three lights and intersecting tracery in a twocentred head with an external hood-mould. The
eastern window in the north wall is a pair of trefoiled
lights in pointed heads: the cusps have sunk spandrels
except over the mullion inside. The eastern south
window is closely similar. The second south window
is of three trefoiled ogee-headed lights, the middle
light the tallest; it is probably of the 14th century.
The gabled east wall has an old coping and a foiled
and pierced gable-cross. At the angles are plain diagonal
buttresses. On a stone near the south end is cut a cross
with triple dots at the ends of the arms.
The north wall has a chamfered plinth. In the
middle is a 15th-century buttress with moulded offsets.
The upper half of the south wall has been rebuilt.
The west wall, west doorway, and porch are modern,
but remains of ancient gable-crosses have been set on
the bellcote and porch. The roof also is modern, of
trussed rafter type.
In the south wall in the usual place of the piscina is
a rectangular locker with rebated edges.
The font, of the 15th century, has an octagonal bowl
with a moulded lower edge, and a plain stem. In the
bowl one of the two staples remains.
The communion rail is dated 1735, and the seats
ranged sideways are of about the same period. On the
south wall between the windows is some 17th-century
panelling. A carved high-back chair is probably of the
late 17th century, repaired. In the floor before the altarstep are some 4½-in. encaustic tiles, some with the arms
of Edward the Confessor and other patterns; probably
On the north wall is a monument to Francis Throckmorton, born in Mantua and buried there in 1617. (fn. 77)
Above the east window is a moulded stone panel
with an achievement of arms of Knight of Barrells.
On the west wall outside is a stone with an ovalframed inscription, now illegible, but said to commemorate William Mortiboyes of Studley, who by his will
of 18 Jan. 1733 left money for the poor.
Several loose stones with a good 13th-century
moulding may have belonged to a door-jamb.
The bell appears to bear an alphabet inscription
and is perhaps from the Leicester foundry, of late-16thor 17th-century date.
There is a cup and cover paten of late-16th-century
type but with only a maker's stamp.
The registers begin in 1855.
About 5/8 mile south-south-west is the modern parish
church of ST. MARY, erected in 1875; it has an
apsidal chancel, transepts, nave, and aisles. In the
vestry is an inscription to William Mortiboyes, mentioned above, and to Barbara Ingram of Lapworth, who
also left money for the poor.
When Ullenhall was made a
separate ecclesiastical parish from
Wootton Wawen on 27 June 1861
the advowson became vested in the Newton family of
Barrells and descended with the manor of Ullenhall
(q.v.). It is now held by the Church of England Trust.
Chapel Lands. By an indenture
dated 30 Dec. 1683 certain properties
in Ullenhall were conveyed to feoffees
upon trust for the repair of the chapel of Ullenhall and
for the maintenance of the bridges and highways in
Ullenhall. The rents now amount to about £75.
Francis Brittain by will dated 21 Aug. 1774 gave
a rent-charge of £3 out of his messuage (now 'The
Limes') in Henley-in-Arden, to buy 6 gowns for 6
poor women of Ullenhall. The charge is distributed
in clothing to 6 poor persons.
The above-mentioned charities are regulated by a
scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated 30 March
1906, which appoints a body of trustees and provides
that 8/11 of the net income of the Chapel Lands Charity
shall be applied in the maintenance of the parish
church of Ullenhall and of the mortuary chapel; the
remaining 3/11 to be paid to the Rural District Council
of Stratford-on-Avon towards the repair of highways.
William Mortiboyes of Studley by will dated 18 Jan.
1733 (–4) gave a rent-charge of 40s. out of Bare Leys
in Aspley for teaching 6 poor children to read. This
is now paid to the Church of England School.
The Rev. John Ellis, vicar of Wootton Wawen
1809–54, collected money towards the provision of a
school for Ullenhall, but it was not so used and the
income of £6 15s. from its investment is paid to the
Church of England School.
Miss Henrietta Caroline Mary Knight by will
proved 28 April 1915 left £1,500, the interest on
which is given to the poor of Ullenhall.