LIES south westward from Chesilhurst, being formerly written in old deeds, Hese.
This parish is but small, the village stands nearly
in the center of it, having the church on the western
side of it, and about one hundred yards from it Hayesplace. The river Ravensborne flows by the northeast boundaries of this parish; in the southern part of
it is Hayes common, on the edge of which is the antient scite of Baston manor, which claims over the
greatest part of this parish, subordinate to the manor
of Great Orpington, belonging to Sir John Dixon
Dyke, bart. of which manor this parish is accounted
an appendage. In the western part lies the reputed
manor or farm of Pickhurst. The air is very healthy,
the surface forms a valley, running nearly north and
south, with the ground rising gradually on each side,
on the west, towards Beckenham, where Pickhurstgreen, and part of Langley-park, is at least of equal
elevation; and on the east, towards Bromley com
the two predominant soils are gravel and clay,
though there is some loam and sand.
The MANOR OF BASTON, mentioned above, was
formerly part of the possession of the Squeries, a family of eminence in this part of the county, who bone
for their arms, A squirrel brouzing a bazel nut; one of
whom, Sir John de Squerie, was seated at Squerie'scourt, in Westerham, as early as the reign of king
Edward III. One of his descendants, Thos. Squerie,
died in the 17th year of king Henry VI. possessed of
this manor, as well as of the adjoining one of West
Wickham, and left them to his son and heir, John
Squerie, who dying without issue, in the 4th year of
king Edward IV. his two sisters became his coheirs,
of whom, Margaret married to Sir William Cromer
of Tunstal, and Dorothy to Richared Mervin of Fontel's in Wiltshire, who in her right became possessed
of both these manors. (fn. 1) The manor itself of Baston,
though the scite of it, with the demesne lands, were
at some time afterwards, but when is not to be found,
sold off to other proprietors, remained in the same
tract of ownership as the manor of West Wickham,
in the family of Heydon and Lennard; by the marriage of a female heir of the latter, Mary, daughter
of Samuel Lennared, esq. they became together the
property of John Farnaby, esq. (younger brother of
Sir Charles Farnaby Radcliffe, bart.) and be is the
present possessor of both these manors. (fn. 2)
THE SCITE of BASTON MANOR, called BASTON-COURT, with the demesne lands, after several intermediate owners, came into the name of Luxford, and
William Luxford, in 1795, alienated Baston-court
and the demesne lands adjoining to it, to Mr. James
Randal, the present owner of them; but the rest of
the lands, on the opposite side of the common, were
sold by him at the same time to a different person,
who annexed them to another farm.
HAYES-PLACE is a seat in this parish, situated
about one hundred yards from the church westward,
which was once the antient residence of a branch of
the family of the Scotts of Halden, in this county.
Sir Stephen Scott, knt. one of the sons of John Scott,
esq. of Halden, who bore for his arms, Argent a cross
corslet sable, kept his shrievalty for this county at this
seat, in 1648, being then one of the gentlemen pensioners to Charles I. He afterwards removed his residence to Cheshunt, in Hertfordshire, where he died
in the year 1658, and was buried in this church.
By his second wife, Elizabeth, daughter of John
Brograve, esq. he had several children, of whom
John Scott, esq. the eldest son, became his heir in
this seat, and was a gentleman of the king's privy
chamber. He married dame Hester, widow of Sir
Humphry Style, knt. and bart. of Langley, in whose
right he resided there, and dying in 1670, lies buried
here. Their descendant, Stephen Scott, esq. alienated
this seat to Mr. John Harrison of Southwark, whence
it was sold, in 1757, to the Rt. Hon. William Pitt,
the second son of Robert Pitt of Boconnock, in Cornwall, esq. who was descended from Thomas Pitt, esq.
sometime governor of fort St. George, who bore for
his arms, Sable a fess chequy argent and azure between
three bezants. He died in 1726, leaving three sons
and two daughters; of the sons, Robert, the eldest,
will be mentioned hereafter. Thomas, the second,
was created earl of Londonderry, and John was in the
army. Robert Pitt, esq. the eldest son, was of Boconnock, and married Harriet, sister of John Villers, viscount Grandison, by whom he had two sons;
Thomas Pitt, esq. who was of Boconnock, and William,
the purchaser of this seat, as above mentioned. (fn. 3) , who
in 1756, being then a privy counsellor, had the conduct of government intrusted to him, as prime minister, in which post he conducted himself so ably
that the English were united and happy at home, and
feared and respected abroad; the British ensigns were
displayed in the remotest regions, and the national
honour advanced to a pitch unknown before.
On his resignation of the office of secretary of state,
on Oct. 5, 1761, the king, in consideration of his
great and important services, granted to the lady
Hester Pitt, his wife, sister to Richard earl Temple,
the dignity of Baroness of Chatham, in this county,
to herself, and of Baron of Chatham to his heirs
male. In 1766, he was again called to be minister
of state, and on July 30, that year, was advanced to
the titles of Viscount Pitt of Burton Pynsent, in Somersetshire, and earl of Chatham in this county, and
at the same time he had the custody of the privy seal
delivered to him, which he soon afterwards resigned.
Soon after his purchasing this seat, he entirely rebuilt
it, nearly on the old scite, but there being only a
garden, and very little land belonging to it, he added
to it several other parcels of land, which he bought as
opportunity offered. When he came to the BurtonPynsent estate, he sold this seat, with his property in
this parish, in 1766, to the Hon. Thomas Walpole,
who was the second son of the late Horatio lord Walpole, younger brother of Sir Robert Walpole, the
first earl of Oxford of this family. He resided here,
and made considerable improvements to this place,
but two years afterwards re-sold it to the earl of Chatham, at his very earnest and importunate request, who
after his retirement from public affairs, resided much
here, during which time he finished the grounds and
plantations round this seat with that elegance of taste
and judgement in which he so particularly excelled,
inclosing the whole within a park pale. This earl,
called from his superior talents, The great Earl of Chat
ham, died at this seat, on May 11, 1778, in consequence of the violent exertions he had made during a
speech in the house of lords; when, sainting away, he
was carried home to his house in London, and from
thence hither, where he languished but a short time
till his death, and was afterwards buried in Westminster abbey at the public expence. After his death,
this seat was retained by his family only a few years,
and in 1785, was by them alienated to James Bond,
esq. then lately arrived from the East Indies, he resided here, and was high sheriff of this county in 1788,
and part of the year 1789; when, being created a
baronet of Ireland, he removed thither, having previously, in the latter year, sold this estate to the Rt.
Hon. George viscount Lewisham, eldest son of the
earl of Dartmouth, who is the present possessor, and
now resides here. (fn. 4)
The Right Hon. William Pitt, now prime minister
of this kingdom, whose eminent and superior abilities
justly entitle him to the admiration of all Europe, being the second son of The great Earl of Chatham,
was born at Hayes-place, on May 28, 1759, during
his father's residence here.
ELIZABETH LIOYED by will, in 1693, gave, for putting poor
children to school, a rent charge upon land, part now in the possession of Mr. Stephen Austen Cumberlege, and part in the possession of Miss Cleaver, of the annual produce of 3l.
ELIZABETH HARRISON by will, in 1738, gave 40s. yearly,
for putting poor children to school, 10s. on every Good Friday,
to such as should say their catechism best, and 10s. for the trustees, being in money 100l. vested in the 3 per cent. Bank ann.
in trust, now of the annual produce of 3l.
HAYES is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Rochester. It is a peculiar to
the archbishop of Canterbury, and as such, is in the
deanry of Shoreham.
The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and stands
about the middle of the village. It consists of one
isle and a chancel, and has a tower, on which is a low
and rather unfightly pyramid; in it hang three bells,
the most antient of which was cast by Robert Mot,
In this church, among others, are the following monuments
and inscriptions. In the chancel, on a brass plate, the figure of a
man in a priest's habit, and memorial for Sir John Heygee, late
parson of this church, obt Dec. 19, 1523; another like plate for
Sir John Andrew, but without date; a brass plate for John Handford, son of Humphry Handford of London, merchant, died an
infant, 1610; another for John Hoare, eighteen years rector here,
obt. Feb. 11, 1584, æt. 63; on a brass plate the figure of a priest,
and inscription for John Osteler, rector of this church; an inscription under the east window for Rob. Garret, priest, rector of
Hayes and Chesilhurst, obt. 1560; on a stone, a monument for
John Scott, esq. eldest son of Sir Step. Scott of this county, who
married dame Hester, widow of Sir Humphry Style, knt. and bt.
of Langley; he was of the king's privy chamber and justice of the
peace in quorum for this county, obt. 1670, æt. 45; on a gravestone, two coats quarterly, 1st and 4th, Scott, a cross croslet, 2d
and 3d, a chevron between three fleurs de lis; and a memorial
for Sir Edw. Scott; on another, with a shield, the like arms;
another Scott, impaling on a bend voided three fleurs de lis, a crescent for difference; a third Scott, impaling Brograve, a like disference, and a memorial for Sir Stephen Scott, one of the sons of
John Scott, esq. of Halden, gentleman pensioner to the late king
Charles, and sheriff in 1648; he married first Jane Morral, widow,
daughter of Sir Cuthbert Hackett, secondly Elizabeth, daughter
of John Brograve, esq. by whom he had five sons and four daughters; after a long residence in this parish he removed to his seat at
Cheshunt, in Hertfordshire, where he died in 1658, æt. 79; on a
stone, the arms of Bradgate, impaling Scott; and a memorial for
Elizabeth, the wife of T. Bradgate, merchant, the eldest daughter of Sir Stephen Scott, and dame Eliz. his wife, obt. 1655, æt.
26, leaving a son, Martin, and a daughter, Elizabeth; on a stone
a shield, Reeve impaling Scott, and a memorial for Anne, daughter of Sir Stephen Scott, late of this parish, deceased, and wife of
Wm. Reeve, gent. of Fayrle in the isle of Wight, obt. 1661,
æt. 31; besides which there are several grave stones over the insant children of Sir Stephen Scott. (fn. 5)
In the 15th year of king Edward I. this church of
Hese was valued at then marcs. (fn. 6) By virtue of a commission of enquiry into the value of church livings, in
1650, out of chancery, it was returned, that Hayes
was a parsonage, having a house and sixteen acres of
land belonging to it, worth forty pounds per annum,
one Mr. Christopher Montjoy enjoying it, and honest
painful preacher. (fn. 7) It is a discharged living, in the
king's books, of the clear yearly certified value of 49l.
the yearly tenths of which are 13s. 9½d.
The church of Hayes is at present a rectory, having
the church of Downe as a Chapel annexed to it, in
the patronage of the rector of Orpington. There was
a pension of 6s. 8d. (not 16s. 8d. as erroneously printed in Ecton) demanded by the rector of Orpington
from the rector of this parish yearly, the payment of
which, as there was not any trace found of its being
paid for a number of years past, was refused a few
years ago, and was immediately given up by the rector of Orpington.
Church Of Hayes.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Rector of Orhington||Thomas de Hedyrsette, LL.D. ob.
1405. (fn. 8) |
|William Multon, clerk, resigned
1411. (fn. 9) |
|Thomas Revell, 1411.|
|John Smith, 1464, 1488.|
|John Heygge, ob. Dec. 19, 1523.|
|Christ. Sharparrowe, ob. 1549. (fn. 10) |
|Robert Garrett, ob. 1566. (fn. 11) |
|John Hoare, clerk, ob. Feb. 11,
|Samuel Darknoll, Jan. 1586.|
|Francis Allott, in August 1615,
|Christopher Monkton, in March
1619, obt. July 1, 1652.|
|Thomas Wood, 1652.|
|Robert Bourne, 1684.|
|G. Sclater, Ap. 1689, ob. 1696.|
|Robert Davidson, A. M. induct.
Dec. 17, 1696, obt. May 27,
1714. (fn. 12) |
|Christopher Clarke, A.M. induct.
June to, 1714, resig. Dec. 25,
1733. (fn. 13) |
|Thomas Walwin, A. M. induct.
Ap. 12, 1733. obt. 1747.|
|Walter Walker Ward, D.D.
1747, obt. 1755.|
|William Farquar, 1755, obt.
|Francis Fawkes, A. M. in Ap.
1774. obt. Aug. 1777. (fn. 14) |
|John Till, Oct. 1777. Present
rector. (fn. 15) |